Lost

Confirmed Dead

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 07, 2008 on ABC

• ...

I much preferred this second episode of the season to the season premiere for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I really enjoyed having the four separate flashbacks of the four new characters. That was a good idea of the writers, as each short but vital flashback had to get to the core of the character and their connection with the island without giving away too much or holding back too much either. It was also nice to see Naomi's separate flashback, seeing her in quite a different position back on normal land.

I liked seeing the two different groups of the Losties too, and how close they were at points, e.g. how they found different Freighters and the dog moving from one group to the other.

It was a good scene when Sayid and Juliet 'rescued' Jack and Kate. Although I didn't notice Jack's wink to Kate the first time round, and she obviously didn't either, it was noticeable on rewatching the episode. Juliet and Sayid made quite an interesting pairing for their couple of short scenes together. Also loved Mile's response to Juliet not being an Oceanic 15 surviver, interesting that she didn't attempt to explain who she was though, as I had always assumed 'hostiles' are those born and bred on the island.

Locke's bullet survival seemed slightly Messiac, which I guess is part of the island's themes; having a Godly leader. It provided a nice insight into ideas about power, corruption, charismatic leadership etc though.

All in all a good episode. The new characters are interesting. Well I find Dan a bit soppy and Miles annoying, Charlie could go either way but I am looking forward to learning more about the Pilot, and Ben's last remark about his inside man was definitely intriguing.