Lost

D.O.C.

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 25, 2007 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 4 of 4

• Fantastic episode. A couple shocking moments highlighted a well presented (and well-acted) story. Anytime they make the story exciting and have well-crafted dramatic moments, it ususally makes for great episodes--and this one certainly was.

The two shocking moments really bring this episode to an exceptional level, but it is supported by a story that kept me tightly glued. First, seeing Mikhael was a surprise that came out of nowhere, and very welcome. I was disappointed when he [apparently] died, because he is so entertaining, so I'm excited to see him back. I think the simplest explanantion is that whatever injuries he suffered from the fence may have been severe, but due to the healing powers of the island (previously established), he was able to overcome them. And, of course, the parachutist's revelation that the wreckage of Flight 815 was found, and there were no survivors, was a real WOW moment. A possible explanation is that the Others, or some other entity, did not want anyone searching for the real Flight 815, so they arranged for false wreckage to be found, but then the question is who is involved who has such resoruces. Other, more mystical or amazing explanations, may be the case, but that's the fun, now wondering.

I thought the actress who plays Sun did an amazig job when she found out the date of conception. Her initial tears, seeming from sadness at the realization that she and her baby were going to die, were either clarified as, or evoleved into, tears of happiness, due to her realization that Jin is indeed the father. Here, one of Sun's greatest misdeeds, and possibly the reason for her not being a "good person" and therefore not list-worthy, was her extramarital affair, which seemed to had resulted in a pregnancy. Yet, since Jin is actually the father, Sun is, in a way, granted some level of reprieve in having to suffer directly for that misdeed, since at least the child is Jin's. Will this lead to Sun's undoing? We've seen in the past, when someone was given the chance to "pay" for their wrongdoings, or at least seek forgiveness, and then have failed to do so, that they have suffered (Eko refusing to apologize for what he had done, which then resulted in his death). Since Jin is the father, Sun may not feel the need to account for the affair, or tell Jin, thereby not paying for what she had done, which may lead to an unfortunate end. But we'll see. Either way, Sun explored many facets of her character in this episode (in the present) going from happiness to anger to fear to relief to joy, all in ways that made perfect sense, given her context.

I liked the flashback as well. Not one of the best, but a good one. What was particularly revealing was finding out that it was Sun who was responsible for creating the circumstances that led Jin to the path of working for her father and doing some unpleasant things. Here, Sun's motivation, to protect Jin from a very painful revelation about his mother, is good. But the steps she takes to ensure that, leads to Jin becoming a person that he did, who was not truly him, one who does bad things. So we see another bad side of Sun (further highlighted by the ease with which she threatens Jin's mother's life). It was also an interesting tidbit to learn that who Jin's father really is is a mystery, one I imagine will be revealed down the road.

The story with Desmond, Charlie, Hurley, and Jin was really enjoyable to watch, as it was more about the story, action, and surprises, than about character--which was a nice balance to the rest of the episode. I've covered the surprises, but it was also fun to se Jin display his fighting skills. One additional thing that I thought stood out was Desmond's very strong and open hostility toward Charlie. This is not entirely new, as we've seen Desmond get more and more frustrated with saving Charlie's life, only to have to do it again; and certainly Desmond's belief that since he saved Charlie this last time that it cost him the culmination of his vision, Penny's arrival, frustrates him further. But the anger with Charlie, and their confrontations, seem to be escalating. Also interesting was Desmond actions and perspectives. When Charlie characterized the Others as being killers, Desmond noted that by his count, the 815 survivors had killed more Others than the other way around, as if he was making the observation that they may be no better than the Others. As well, Desmond felt particularly obligated to "keep his word", something that is a recognizable characteristic of Ben. But the idea of the surviviors and the Others having many similarities, and their difference being only a matter of perspective, is an ongoing theme that was advanced here.

I was glued to the tv this episode, and it delivered big time. The final four eps, by thier descriptions, look amazing. Ever since the return of Lost in Februrary, the show has been amazing, as was tonight's episode.
  • Sun's baby is indeed Jin's. The child was conceived on the island, however, so Sun may not live past her second trimester.

6.6
    Well, as many fans thought, 'D.O.C.' did stand for 'Date of Conception.' Juliet tells Sun (after leading her to the same station where Claire was taken to in a much earlier episode) that the baby was conceived 53 days ago - meaning that the father is Jin, which make Sun feel all 'sunny.'

The flashbacks focus on Sun. Jin is obviously included, but Sun is the prominent figure. A few things we find out: Jin's mother was a prostitute, and, if I was interpreting things correctly, it is in fact Sun's 'fault' that Jin ended up turning into 'Bruce Lee meets the Terminator' during his time of employment under Sun's father. The other focal point of the episode was the parachuter, who is saved by 'Mikhail Gorbachev,' the very same Mikhail who is supposed to be dead. Mister eye patch somehow survived when Locke threw his body into the 'force field.' I'm sure that will come into play eventually. I LOVED the teaser sneak-peek we saw for next week's episode at the end of this episode. Looks as if Locke is going to try and persuade Sawyer to kill Ben. Don't see that happening....

When all is said and done, this episode was just slightly above average, if that.
  • Sun asks for help from Juliet while Desmond and company try and save the life of the person that came from the down helicopter.

This episode was good. It was a little better than last weeks but not by much. Once again I didn't see much of the pivotal characters. It seems Lost is trying to make us informed and care about the "minor characters" on the island. But anyway, Juliet once again has another interesting dynamic to her because it seems she is working for Ben true, but she isn't enjoying it. Maybe she is just using the Others to just better her life on the island. The whole person falling out of the helicopter gave us some information that was crucial. To leave this spoiler free, it shows how much money and power the Others have, and that's all I got to say about that.
  • A face from the past re-appears... again. Also, two shocking happenings occur.

Ok. I'm gonna do my review a little differently this time. Gasp. I think this will make it a better and more interesting read.

Flashbacks- The flashbacks were bad. That's about as blunt as I can put it. The only thing I liked was finding out why Jin started working for Mr. Paik. Other than that, they weren't all that great. This flashback again supports my opinion that all the major character's flashback stories are wrapping up and their backgrounds are pretty much all "colored in".

Sun & Juliet- This part was good. It was a little boring and slow at first, but once they got to the Medical Hatch, things really got interesting. I knew, you knew, most of just KNEW in the back of our minds that Claire, Kate, and Rousseau missed SOMETHING back in Maternity Leave. And sure enough, there's a secret door. The ending (to that story) was awesome.

Desmond & Co.- The best part of the episode. The writing and acting was the best here, and this was the most interesting part. Patchy comes back. Then he leaves again. Sigh. The Parachutist says that people found the wreckage of Oceanic Flight 815 and all the people on-board were dead. So did the government stage the finding of the wreckage? It appears so.

Mikhail: ... I've already died once this week.
  • Sun and Juliet bond as the father of her baby is revealed, Mikhail returns from the dead, and Jin shows us he can do kung-fu!

This episode was a good one. Well, the flashback was a little weak until the last two parts, but overall, it was a good episode. I really thought that this episode did an awesome job of giving the on-island stuff a good story and made it very exciting. The thing that I thought that made this a stronger episode, was the fact that it covered several stories that were on the island and tied them together well, while it kept them balanced with camera time. We got to watch Sun and Juliet as Sun finally puts trust in Juliet after learning from Kate that she is a fertility doctor. This sort of character development works really well as we see Juliet, eager to gain the respect of the losties, show Sun into the Medical Hatch, where we finally learn the fate of Sun. It is kind of heartbreaking when we learn that it is indeed Jin that is the father of Sun, and not Jae Lee, however, that isn't truly the heartbreaking part. It is the fact that once impregnated on the island, Sun has now been sentenced to her own death. Yet, this question of Jin being infertile is somewhat answered as we learn that the Island in fact has healing and medical powers as men's sperm counts are multiplied five times when on the island. And then, near the end of the episode, Juliet finally reveals that Kate is indeed pregnant from Sawyer as well. In fact, the reason she is doing what she is just may be to find out who is pregnant, just so Ben can have Juliet further her research.

However, that is only half the story, as the story of the parachutist is continued as Desmond, Jin, Charlie, and Hurley try and save her life. This is brought up as we learn that there is a branch in her side. The odd thing about this is that just as they go to send for help, Mikhail arrives. This may also be a hint to the island's supernatural healing powers. Lucky for us, Jin goes kung-fu on Mikhail, as the Russian tries to make a run for it. Under his capture, they force him to save the parachutist in exchange for letting him go. And, again luckily, we find he was a Russian medic, so he undoes the puncture from the branch and saves the parachutist's life. However, Charlie and Jin still act suspicious, as we learn that this character is still unable to be trusted. This comes up when Mikhail tries to get away with the satellite phone that Hurley found with her. Yet again, this show still teases with us, as a huge thing is revealed. Flight 815 was found by rescuers and there were no survivors. So then, what the hell is really going on? I guess that answer will be getting answered next season, for I think that the Others are gonna be answered this season. Anyways, the flashback was alright. It was pretty much just a further look into the family of Jin and showed the starting of the broken relationship of Sun and Jin as they both went behind one another's backs to keep their secrets from being revealed. The sad thing was, the flashback was sort of bland, well, that is until we learned that Jin's mom was still alive and had a touching moment with Sun and Jin's father. Other than that, this flashback was rather uneventful. With all that said, it was the good balance of characters and on-island stories, paired together with some answers to some of the smaller questions that kept the episode awesome. Sure, the flashback's loss of relevance and entertainment did hurt it some, but in the end, it had its moments. Also, the episode still proved to me that there is still a lot to LOST that hasn't been answered yet, and that just gets me excited.
  • Actual rating (as can't go much higher): 20!

Ok, that was seriously messed up. This show still rocks. Had some down moments, ie. Expose, but this episode leading to the finale is going to bring Lost back to its roots. Scaring us out of our minds.

JJ Abrams has said that they are not dead, so the ending is kinda odd. Did the creators change what happened to them? Or was she lied to? The front of the plane was found on the island & the tail section fell into the ocean so how they found anything is beyond me. They may have found the tail section which could have driffted out to sea & someone picked it up & they just assumed since this is all that's found that no one survived. This whole clone thing? I'm really hoping that's not what's going on. That would really suck.

As far as the whole Juliet thing goes, she obviously hates what's she doing to these people. Is Kate pregnant? How does she know or does she just assume as she knows about her & Sawyer.

So many questions. 7 days isn't long enough.

I really liked Sun. Shame that about the middle of next season she'll probably bite the dust unless they find a cure.

Oh so many questions. Not enough answers.
  • Review

Lets break this episode down into three parts: The Flashback, Jin and Company, and Sun and Juliet. I thought the flashback portion of this episode was very dry, with not a whole lot of anything that I needed to know. It was fairly obvious from the beginning of the flashbacks that the "Mystery Woman" was going to turn out to be Jins mom, so I dont consider that to be anything big. The flashback in itself was rather boring, with Jin and Sun having there occassional fight when she starts asking too many questions, etc etc. The scene where she met his Dad was interesting, but other then that I thought it was one of the worst flashback stories to date. I thought Sun and Juliets trek out into the jungle was one of the better parts of the episode, with us learning that Jin is the ftaher of Suns baby and we can now stop thinking maybe Micheal and Sun had a breif thing. Juliets mission on the losties side of the camp is exposed, with Juliet trying to get samples of all the woman on the island for whatever reason that they may need them. I thought Suns character showed great emotion with her "Catch-22", granted that was last episode...but still. Desmond, Jin, Hurley, and Charlies story added some humor to the episode that needed something to form a spark and everything in those scenes was perfect. Patchys interaction with the characters was really good and I find it interesting he was after the phone all along. I thought the big reveal at the end that "They found Flight 815" adds to all of us who are "Men of Science". To me that means that they were brought to this island and then people on the outside covered it up, but perhaps we will learn more as the story continues to devolop. Overall, Desmond and companys part of the episode got a 3.33/3.33, Suns got a 3/3.33 and the flashback got a 2.1/3.33, giving me a total of 8.5. Solid episode, but the flashback is the thing that really killed it for me - on island drama was really well done.
  • The reveals just keep coming!

I don't even know where to start! First Patchy returns, rocking the hell out of his Soviet training. As Bender said, "Clone? Robot? Or long-lost twin? Taking all bets!" We see that Sun made a minor change in Jin's career path, shifting him from a floor manager to gangster. We get a seemingly straight answer about Claire's baby and the Others. Then the filthy crazy hook of the wreckage apparently being found without survivors. Wake up everyone who was harping on those clone theories! I love the tension between Charlie and Desmond developing, especially as Jin saved their hides by grabbing the phone back and Patchy pulls a nice little Ben impression. Juiliette's motives and true plans are still mysterious, but are coming into focus (Juliette's getting Kate's next?), plus its great to see Sun throw a little suspicion on Jack. Seems like I'm saying this every week, but if the hook at the end about the discovery of 815 sticks, this could be the start of the final third of the story.
  • Sun learns where she got pregant and by whom. Desmond and the gang receive help for their new visitor from a very unlikely source.

As a whole not my favourite episode but a pretty good one nontheless. This episode had some pretty good if albeit predictable revelations. Sun demands to know from Juliet what happens to pregnant women on this island and to learn more about her research. Juliet finds Sun in the middle of the night and takes her to the same medical station we saw last season with Kate and Claire. Juliet performs an ultrasoud on Sun revealing that she did in fact conceive the child on the island with Jin. Juliet tells Sun she wants to do this because she had to suffer through losing patients and wants to deliver good news once again although we learn later the real reason why she helped Sun.Sun tells her she did give her good news that despite her possibly pending death in 2 months that Jin is the father of the child. Later Juliet goes back inside the station and leaves a recording for Ben claiming she only needs Kate's sample now and that she hates him. This was a nice scene since it shows how Juliet is torn about what she seemingly has to do. Meanwhile Desmond, Jin, Charlie, and Hurley are shocked to see Mikhail appear out of nowhere as they are trying to figure out how to rescue the visitor. Desmond agrees to let Mikhail go if he saves her life. Of course this all leads to the confusion of how is Mikhail alive when his eardrum exploded and he was foaming at the mouth. My only conclusion is that perhaps he was only temporarily paralyzed or something. My only other confusion here was how did any of them know about Mikhail in the first place perhaps I forgot the part they were told or were lead to just assume off sceen sometime through word of mouth on the beach they were told. Anwyway Mikhail saves the woman's life and flees back into the jungle. While tending her to Hurley asks the woman if she is their to rescue them. Hurley says they are the survivors of flight 815 but the woman drops a bombshell and claims the reckage from that flight was found and there were no survivors. All in all a pretty good with one hell of an ending.
  • -SPOILERS- OMG Patchy is alive, Kate is Pregnant and they are all dead?? I don't know what to think any more

I was constantly checking the time left for the episode to finish... because I didn't want it to. It was flying. You've all got the feeling when you are watching an episode on the tip of your toes, waiting for the next scene...

This episode's flashbacks were bad as almost all this season (WHY?!). But the main story blew my mind.

Patchy is dead (how?); the girl wakes and tells the passengers that the plain was found with no survivors (WTF); Sun has abt 4 more months to live and apparently Kate is pregnant as well (now I get why she and sawyer were needed, it was all a mask to make them have sex).

I am too excited to even sleep now.

However, good night, and "see" you on the forums.
1 2 3 4 >