Lost

D.O.C.

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 25, 2007 on ABC

• WTF.The Lost writers are really become lost to me.

I think the Lost writers are writing themselves into a corner which will leave Lost fans disappointed at the conclusion of this series. The "no survivors" revelation is probably a red herring that the writers will conveniently forget about in the end. Claire managed to survive her child's birth although she was already pregnant by the time she was on the island.Sun-Hwa should have been suspicious that Juliet choose the middle of the night to bring her alone to a hidden Dharma medical station. She was even stupid enough to thank Juliet for showing her the sonar image of her fetus. Come on, do all the castaways take things at face value all the time. I become quite annoyed by how easily manipulated all the Flight 815 castaways have become. Why did Sun-Hwa need to reveal that she had an affair if Jin is the father of her child and the fetus was concieved on the island? More ammo for Juliet to use to manipulate Jin and Sun-Hwa. The resurrection of Mikhail and his clim about injuries also makes no sense since plenty of folks had died and been injuried on the island.The decision to let Mikhail go only goes to show how weak Jin, Charlie, and Hurley are in the presence of a dominating personality such as Desmond and Jack. Even Sawyer , John Locke and Sayid have become weak characters who are easily manipulated by the Others.
  • The ending was great, and I'm happy how Sun took the news.

"D.O.C." stand for "date of conception." "Date of conception" is when the mother conceived her baby. In this episode, the title focuses on Sun. Previously, Sun took a pregnancy test and she found out that she was pregnant. She wasn't sure if the baby was Jin's though, so that tore her up the most. Juliet also just recently told Jack and Kate that women who get pregnant on the island die and lose their baby. Leaving Jack and Kate worried for Sun's future. This is also a Sun/Jin-centric episode.

The flashback of the episode mostly focused on Sun finding out about Jin's family the hard way. It also showed Sun protecting Jin when he needed it most. The flashback was OK for me. It didn't really reveal anything too interesting, but it was fine.

On the island, Jack and Kate confront Sun about her pregnancy. Sun then seeks Juliet's guidance to find out when she conceived the baby. Juliet is also more than willing to help. There are some trust issues though. My favorite plot for the episode. It wasn't even that good.

Meanwhile, Jin, Hurley, Charlie and Desmond run into a very familiar face on the island. The man helps them with the woman that landed from the helicopter. This plot was OK. I didn't really enjoy it so much.

The ending of the episode was really great. It was definitely the highlight of this episode.
  • Sun's baby is indeed Jin's. The child was conceived on the island, however, so Sun may not live past her second trimester.

6.6
    Well, as many fans thought, 'D.O.C.' did stand for 'Date of Conception.' Juliet tells Sun (after leading her to the same station where Claire was taken to in a much earlier episode) that the baby was conceived 53 days ago - meaning that the father is Jin, which make Sun feel all 'sunny.'

The flashbacks focus on Sun. Jin is obviously included, but Sun is the prominent figure. A few things we find out: Jin's mother was a prostitute, and, if I was interpreting things correctly, it is in fact Sun's 'fault' that Jin ended up turning into 'Bruce Lee meets the Terminator' during his time of employment under Sun's father. The other focal point of the episode was the parachuter, who is saved by 'Mikhail Gorbachev,' the very same Mikhail who is supposed to be dead. Mister eye patch somehow survived when Locke threw his body into the 'force field.' I'm sure that will come into play eventually. I LOVED the teaser sneak-peek we saw for next week's episode at the end of this episode. Looks as if Locke is going to try and persuade Sawyer to kill Ben. Don't see that happening....

When all is said and done, this episode was just slightly above average, if that.
  • Another character doomed to die, great.

6.9
    In the past couple of weeks, Lost has begun to win me back. But this week it stooped back down to the level it was at after Stranger in a Strange Land. Using the same storyline again (kind of) with the whole doomed to die thing is annoying me, and two months is about 60 days which is also about 40ish episodes means this is going to be one hell of a long storyline if Juliet was telling the truth, which I doubt. Kate being pregnant means that storyline will occur again as well. I'm very frustrated about the whole "All the 815ers are dead. If they want to shoot down purgatory theories, shoot them down!! Say something like "Satellites searched every area of the Earth, but couldn't find this island or something. Grrr...just waiting for the Greatest Hits.
  • We learned a lot of the same stuff we knew about pregnant mothers on the island and about Sun's relationship.

I feel like the last two weeks action could have been condensed in to 1 show and I would have been very content. I felt that for the last 2 weeks I was sitting around waiting for something to happen. I guess, I liked the Russian reappearing, but this is not going to sell the show. Yet, did anybody not know that Jin was the father? Or were not thinking that it meant Sun still is going to be here to the end of the show's run. In addition, Locke's father has been tied up for a month and they spend two weeks developing a girl from the sky who has still told us nothing. Okay, we now hear that they don't exist. We have so much going on we don't need more characters and more fake-intellectual
    -sci-fi-twilight-zone elements. Please, no "life is a dream," "the world is invented in the split mind," "we see the future but change it," or "we are not really alive" junk. We have great characters, conflicting interests and a misguided experiment in utopia. WHY must we get into this "Doctor Who" crap?(and I watched that show as a kid, but there is too much stuff going on to need gimmicks). Make me happy and bring back Locke and Sayid. I repeat, Locke's father is tied up in a closet! Learn from the Sopranos, a little wait brings tension, but a long wait brings disinterest.
  • I couldn't edit the Trivia, but if someone could please add this bit of info...

I'm from Brazil, and would like to add some information about the scene where the parachute girl says something in Portuguese.
    As stated by the person who added the Trivia thing, she says "Eu não estou só", which means 'I'm not alone'. But, even though the person said she has a Brazilian accent, I have my doubts. In my honest opinion the weird accent she has sounds exactly like the accent of those two guys in the end of season two who also spoke Portuguese. While the way they speak sounds a lot like Cariocas (people from Rio de Janeiro), both scenes were shot with actors that are either not native speakers of Portuguese or from other Portuguese speaking countries (Angola, Cape Verde, East Timor, European Union, Guinea Bissau, Chinese S.A.R. of Macau, Mozambique and São Tomé and Príncipe) that would have a similar accent. If you (are from Brazil and) listen very carefully, you will notice that they sound a lot like foreigners learning Portuguese.
  • Sun learns where she got pregant and by whom. Desmond and the gang receive help for their new visitor from a very unlikely source.

As a whole not my favourite episode but a pretty good one nontheless. This episode had some pretty good if albeit predictable revelations. Sun demands to know from Juliet what happens to pregnant women on this island and to learn more about her research. Juliet finds Sun in the middle of the night and takes her to the same medical station we saw last season with Kate and Claire. Juliet performs an ultrasoud on Sun revealing that she did in fact conceive the child on the island with Jin. Juliet tells Sun she wants to do this because she had to suffer through losing patients and wants to deliver good news once again although we learn later the real reason why she helped Sun.Sun tells her she did give her good news that despite her possibly pending death in 2 months that Jin is the father of the child. Later Juliet goes back inside the station and leaves a recording for Ben claiming she only needs Kate's sample now and that she hates him. This was a nice scene since it shows how Juliet is torn about what she seemingly has to do. Meanwhile Desmond, Jin, Charlie, and Hurley are shocked to see Mikhail appear out of nowhere as they are trying to figure out how to rescue the visitor. Desmond agrees to let Mikhail go if he saves her life. Of course this all leads to the confusion of how is Mikhail alive when his eardrum exploded and he was foaming at the mouth. My only conclusion is that perhaps he was only temporarily paralyzed or something. My only other confusion here was how did any of them know about Mikhail in the first place perhaps I forgot the part they were told or were lead to just assume off sceen sometime through word of mouth on the beach they were told. Anwyway Mikhail saves the woman's life and flees back into the jungle. While tending her to Hurley asks the woman if she is their to rescue them. Hurley says they are the survivors of flight 815 but the woman drops a bombshell and claims the reckage from that flight was found and there were no survivors. All in all a pretty good with one hell of an ending.
  • Bored me....

7.4
    Again, i don't think this episode deserves it's current rating of 9.5 or the 10's that are being given.

This episode didn't particularly wow me, I forgot about it around 15 minutes after watching it, completely unmemorable, lost feels to me little as if it is running alittle dry, or at least season 3 is, season 1 and 2 were excellent, season 3 started off terrible, and so far, nothing feels tremendously memorable beyond the man from the man from tallahassee.

Do i care that she may die?
    honestly, no, if it was season 1, certainly, but she has felt like a prop this season, to far in the background, the implication that she could die had me apathetic.

This felt pretty average to me personally, you could argue that the story has progressed, but it seems more like running in circles.
  • A rather normal pedestrian episode until the last line.

So after the producers have assured us the island is not purgatory and I’ve long since let go of that theory they have go and throw this at us. The thing is how can everyone be dead when The Other’s and Juliet appear to be real people from the real world. What about the chick who parachuted onto the island and got a stick in the lung. Is she really dead also.

In a way it makes perfect sense. You never hear of a plane crash where half of the passengers survive. I have the feeling the last few episodes aren’t going to give us any real answers either. But instead we’ll see Locke continue to get more and more flaky and weird.
  • Makes you wonder and ponder alot about the island...

7.8
    This episode makes me wonder heaps.. how this that 1 eyes guy come back to life? and back in season 1 while i was at work i was told by a friend that everyone on the island was dead and that they were lost souls.. and now in this episode we have sumone whos just got onto the island and tells them the plane was discovered and everyone was dead.. which backs up what i heard from a friend like 1 year ago.. cant wait till next week i hope im not right..
  • Maury Povich shows up with a paternity shocker!

With the reveal that women who conceive on the island eventually die, the obvious question was how this affected Sun, who was pregnant and not sure who the father of her child was. If it was Jae Lee, she could be safe since it happened off island, but have to face a constant reminder of her mistake. If it was Jin, she could face a death sentence, but possibly experience some peace. Sun had to find out the problem with pregnant women on the island eventually, and Juliet's arrival to the beach serves to give her access to the tools to tell her the truth.

Her thoughts could've been on her time with Jae, but instead they focus on another time she felt coerced into burying a secret, and the cost it took on her and Jin's lives. Sun's major flaw is that she will lie to protect her interests, regardless of who will be harmed in the process. In this episode, to pay off Jin's mother she borrows a large sum of money from her gangster father, who in turn hires Jin to do his dirty work to pay off the debt. Essentially, Sun is responsible for both her and his husband's character flaws.

Unlike the past, her ability to bury the secret of her affair (even if Jin has some idea that it happened) offers a possible road to redemption for her. With Jin being the father, she can completely put her affair behind her, even if that means he has to die for it to happen.

There is one problem that may never be addressed due to the handling of the reveal of the fetus' age. According to Juliet's estimates, Sun's baby was conceived around the time of their estrangement in "…in Translation". It seems unlikely that they would have sex at that time. However, sperm can live for some time after sex, and considering the island's power, it could help survive for longer than on the mainland.

The island's treatment of pregnant women juxtaposes against the fertility of men. Men on the island produce five times more sperm than those off, but if a child is conceived, the mother will die. It's almost like the island has some deep rooted misogyny or adamant opposition to sex.

One of Juliet's purposes in the main camp is the collecting of samples from the women of the camp, particularly Sun & Kate. On that note: what exactly would she get to use as a sample? This adds more to my theory that they wanted Kate and Sawyer to have sex in hopes that she would get pregnant. Considering they are having more sex, Kate's likelihood of pregnancy grows, unless there is some birth control they don't show.

Since Sun was a willing participant, Juliet was easily able to go to The Staff to relay information to Ben about Sun's pregnancy and her status with the other castaways. It's unlikely she would be able to get samples as easily from the rest of the women. However, her willingness to participate in Ben's plan is questioned when she says she hates Ben after she finishes recording her message. This could be reluctance or her venting after playing along for the tape recorder.

While it was the B-plot, the continuation of the search party provided the bigger moments. For starters, Mikhail survived the sonic fence. Obviously it was tough to describe that event in my "Par Avion" review as I try to avoid explicit spoilers of future episodes, even if they aired months or years earlier. Whether the fence was designed to stun a person or wasn't at its full capacity isn't clear yet.

Having Mikhail survive places him in a position to alert the Others to this new arrival. He is also a medic (clearly he didn't spend as much time in combat training as Jin), which allows him to help save Naomi. When she mentions she is not alone in Portuguese, he mistranslates it as thanks for saving her life. This adds some mystery to her and possible ulterior methods for reaching the island.

Desmond's negotiation with Mikhail, save Naomi in exchange for his freedom, is rather controversial. Charlie, who in addition to what happened in the last episode has had several bad encounters with The Others, is obviously the most opposed to Desmond's plan. The brief peace they made in "Catch-22" is dashed in this episode, as they continue to argue over the fateful decision to let Mikhail go.

An element that would've been interesting to explore is Mikhail wearing the Dharma jumpsuit. This would've piqued Desmond's curiosity. This could've been a logical spot for them to explain why he is the only Other who wears Dharma jumpsuits, but sadly, it was never touched upon.

His attempt to take the satellite phone is also a worthy cause of alarm. Obviously, The Others would want that technology, if only to have an advantage over the castaways. It's still not clear if the phone will work again, although Hurley has a little fun talking to "his mom". But having a phone and Naomi both are big advantages for the castaways.

One problem with Naomi's multi-linguistics: why wouldn't she speak English first since that's what they were speaking. It makes sense for Rousseau to try several languages when she was interrogating Sayid in "Solitary", but not here, unless Naomi was so disoriented from her fall and punctured lung that she couldn't make sense out of what they were saying. "One of Us" showed a brief glimpse of news outlets' coverage of Flight 815's disappearance. With the arrival of Naomi, we find out what the rest of the world believes what happened. While it is far more realistic for them to all be dead as the result of the crash, it isn't a confirmation that the characters really are dead and in purgatory, much to the chagrin of those still clinging to that long debunked theory. Instead it implies a conspiracy: someone or something very powerful, like Mittelos, wanted to get these people to the island and to give them enough reason not to look any further. Mikhail not translating properly adds to the possibility that she is on their side.

This episode is another solid installment, setting up the pieces for the conclusion of the season while throwing in a few answers. Once the cliffhanger is seen as something other than an obvious cop out, it adds a new layer of mystery and peril to the survivors. Someone has big plans for them, but who?
  • I'm not generally a emotional TV person, but the scene of Sun bursting into tears and slowly forming a smile after being told the results was fantastic.

OK, lots of elements in this week's episode to discuss.

First, our dear friend Sun. Yunjin Kim is such a delicate actress. People say she is underused, but I think she's much more powerful in smaller doses, otherwise she would lose the effect. One of the advantages of Lost's large cast is the fact that the characters don't have to be as fully sketched out immediately as other shows, and it means that three years into the show, we are still learning about our island friends. I am really glad that it's Jin's baby (although it would have to be, in order to have any relevance to the Others), and also that Juliet seemed to genuinely want to help her. I'm not generally a emotional TV person, but the scene of Sun bursting into tears and slowly forming a smile after being told the results was fantastic. Juliet's tape recording, followed by a weak "I hate you" was also very telling.

Her flashbacks were good too. I, however, watch TV in a very "in the moment" manner...I do not try to figure out what's going on, or try to predict events like most people. This means that I am genuinely shocked by surprises that I would assume most people figure out early on, such as the fact that the woman blackmailing Sun was actually Jin's mother. Show of hands of how many people actually knew who the woman was before the reveal.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the island, our Russian friend Patchy (I mean, Mikhail) makes a mysterious reappearance after previously being zapped by the sonic fence. Although he mentions the island's fast healing powers, could that be the only reason for his survival? That was a pretty gruesome death. And what a time for Desmond to decide to be honorable. For the first time ever, I was cheering for Charlie (see line of the week below). Although Mikhail doesn't seem to be the stool pigeon type, I'm sure he'll reappear again soon.

And finally, the big shock of the week. I have a small problem with the big ending reveal, not so much with the surprise itself, but that now people all over the world are going to be groaning, saying "so they're all dead? What a rip-off" and crap like that. Of course, they're not all dead (the writers have told us this many times). More likely, the question is who would go to such trouble as to fake a plane wreck and dead passengers. And if it indeed was a setup, wouldn't the friends and family of the Losties know that it wasn't really Flight 815? Or is there something else going on here?

Next week is a Locke episode complete with "on-island" flashbacks. Looks like we'll learn what happened when he saw his father in the "box" and it also looks like one of my previous theories comes true...

Line of the week:
    Charlie: You stole [the phone]?
    Mikhail: How could you respect me if I didn't try?
    Charlie: How 'bout I take your other eye? Would you respect that?
  • The cover up of flight 815.

So the 815 wreckage was found and all aboard are dead. It's my guess that this is a front for the outside world set up by the Others. At this point it's apparent that they are a highly secure top secret operation. The flashback scenes from "one of Us" showing their Miami location gives me the feeling that they have tremendous resources. I expect to find out that they staged a crash to put a stop to any chance of an investigation. Basically our heroes have been unknowingly trapped since they arrived on the island. They are the Other's lab rats.

This episode thickened a few other plots. Sun concieved on the island, she's now doomed. Her only chance of survival is to become Juliette's newest subject. A willing lab rat. Given the affects the island has on sperm count, this may have turned out to be a scenario that the Others have been hoping for, which also may explain why they've basically left them alone to operate their very own society on the beach instead of rounding them all up in a cage. Maybe they were letting nature take it's course.

I like how they've now made us suspect that Kate may have possibly been impregnated. We did learn Sawyer has a daughter this season, so we know he hasn't necessarily mastered old fashion birth control methods such as pulling out.

Juliette's expression of hate for Ben confirmed for me that she's generally good natured and is operating against her own will. I'm sure Ben dangled some false promise in front of her in order to get her to cooperate.

Mikail somehow survived. I'm dying myself to find out the story on this. It may end up being one of those unanswered questions for a while, but that's cool, it gives me more time to theorize on it. I'm not one of those fans who will damn the writers for making me wait.

Oh yeah, Jin's kung fu was excellent. Been a while since we've seen that kind of action on the show.
  • It was fairly a good episode, until the end. Agaian questions arise, and I hope the answers are not those predicted ages ago.

Lost makes you feel Lost every time you watch it. So many things happen and so many things are revealed that sometimes you cannot grasp what is really happening. This was one of those episodes where the writers try there best to create questions as soon as answers are given.

Mikahil is not dead, and I am more than happy about it. His short appearances already have shown that his character is exceptional, like all the other Losties. However, he was presumed dead by the electromagnetic field. How is he still breathing, when it was clear that he died? Maybe the electromagnetic field does not in fact kill anyone. What is more confusing is what was he doing in the jungle. His objective may have been to establish any connection with the outside world, maybe by noticing that someone new was on the island.

The flashbacks were again a bit lame to say the least. Nothing was really revealed about Sun and Jin that had not been revealed before. The only new revelation was that Jin’s mother was a prostitute, but I can see nothing interesting in that. Juliette’s interest in Sun again seems very innocent, honest, and true. Well, I always had the feeling that there is more to Juliette, and she is not just a manipulative person only concerned about her personal gain. This was accentuated by the poignant words “I hate you” obviously addressed to Ben. Clearly, she is made to do things, what I cannot understand is what Ben has that she wants. We now have two characters that we expect to die. Sun is the new convicted, and if it were true, that would be a shame. However, something more seems to be happening, as Juliette seems to have found her new lab guinea pig, on which to perform experiments.

The last scene again left a great deal of suspense, but a great deal of contempt on my part. What does the new woman mean all passengers were dead? I hope that this is not some kind of purgatory: first because that would be a rather lame idea, and second because the writers have already denounced such notion. However, I do not really believe in this theory, as if it was true, how is it people still die on the island? If someone is dead, how could he die again? Questions, questions, questions........I hope we get some answers.
  • Overall, this episode is another success for the resurgent third season. Several mysteries are clarified and connected in this installment, defying the popular stance that the series is adrift.

It has become popular among critics and former fans to portray “Lost” as a series without a plan or purpose, tossing out mysteries with no intention of resolution. Most recently, a critic for Entertainment Weekly even went so far as to insult the remaining fans for “making excuses”, pointing to the ratings as proof that the emperor has no clothes.

Of course, ever since “One of Us”, the season has been ripping through one of the best resolution phases in recent memory, answering long-term and short-term questions while giving the “Lost” world better definition. Just in this episode alone, several items are clarified and resolved, and the writers are operating on a first-season level. Interpreting these episodes as “too little, too late” sounds more like petulance than objectivity.

Usually the Jin/Sun episodes are something of a break in the action, a chance to pause and reflect on some of the less prominent characters. This was likely by design. Looking back on the series as a whole, Jin and Sun have had several flashback episodes. This particular episode puts their entire history into context, and reveals a long-term strategy on the part of the writers. Sun’s pregnancy wasn’t an example of “reaching for straws”; it was crucial setup of an important step in the show’s progression.

This is one of the inherent strengths of “Lost”. The writers take the time to build up information and context over time, so when the payoff comes, it makes sense and feels genuine. Sun’s pregnancy and the circumstances thereof would have had little impact without the initial knowledge of what the couple had overcome on the island. That took some time to develop. Now that minor plot thread intersects with the larger issue of the Others and the plans they have for the survivors.

Not to mention, of course, the connections to the unusual properties of the island itself. Mikhail’s reappearance will, no doubt, be labeled a “jump the shark” moment by those who believe themselves clever by using the term. However, it pertains directly to the amount of damage that a human being can experience on the island, yet survive. Mikhail states it clearly: healing is enhanced on the island, and they’ve all experienced it.

On the one hand, this is a clever way to get around situations where a character is wounded. Given the slow progression of time, characters would be out of commission for a season or more (think Locke after “Lockdown”). This gives the writers a chance to get the characters back in action sooner rather than later. The genius comes in making that convenience a direct plot point, something vital to the Others and the island itself.

Juliet now reveals that the island makes men super-virile, and most likely, it makes women super-fertile. This enhances the possibility of reproduction, which would be useful for an island with a relatively low population. If there was an indigenous population dating back thousands of years, replenished by vessels lured to the island by unusual means, then the hyper-reproductive qualities would keep the culture viable.

However, this also underscores the fact that something on the island has changed. Ben was able to get a life-threatening tumor, which shouldn’t have happened. Women have been dying, but only if the child is conceived on the island (something that eliminates Claire and Danielle from the list). The operative question is why the island would foster fertility, yet affect a fetus in a way that kills mother and child. And that points back to the relationship between the Others and the Dharma Initiative.

It also explains, rather elegantly, Ben’s decision to bring Kate and Sawyer along with Jack at the end of the second season. On the one hand, they were manipulated into a relationship that would push Jack into compliance. But much of what they experienced themselves was about pushing them closer, driving them towards a relationship. Ben was monitoring them, right down to the moment of consummation. Now, in retrospect, the reasons make perfect sense: they wanted pregnant women for their fertility research, without the risk to their own people.

If this is the case, then it’s in the Others’ best interests to stage another attack on the JackLocke tribe to take possession of the pregnant women (and probably Aaron). Other members of the tribe might be pregnant as well. Whatever the case, Ben must see this as the pragmatic solution to their problem, much as the abduction of the children serves a rational purpose.

So many issues are clarified by Sun’s plot thread that it could have dominated the hour. Instead, the subplot involving the lovely Naomi, the parachutist from the previous episode, delivers something even more shocking. Apparently the world believes that Oceanic 815 crashed in the middle of the ocean with no survivors, based on physical evidence.

This revives the theory that the crash was a planned event. Even if Ben honestly didn’t know about his medical condition, it doesn’t preclude the possibility that he was ready to bring in new blood. With the right kind of resources (say, the Hanso Foundation and the Widmores), a plane crash could have been faked. This one piece of information suggests that there was a reason why the plane was off-course by 1000 miles, something not explained by the “chance” mishap with the Swan Station.

Within the density of the episode, it’s easy to miss the little things. Sun follows up on Sayid’s scene in “One of Us” by hitting Juliet with several important questions, and Juliet’s reaction is priceless. In fact, Juliet shines in this episode, because her motivations remain complex and conflicted. The dynamic between Desmond and Charlie is also noteworthy, because it reveals how far Charlie still has to go. After all, he’s no longer trusting the one person who has repeatedly risked his own life to save his.

Yunjin Kim is always beautiful, but her range in this episode is astonishing. It’s easy to see why the producers wanted to give her a prominent role. Andrew Divoff adds his usual perfect shading to Mikhail. Even Hurley’s scenes have an intriguing context. The complexity and depth is the key to “Lost”, and this season, it has definitively returned.
  • Having become a cynic, i was quite impressed by this episode. But to be honest- the flashbacks do very little in the way of the aiding the narrative anymore.

A Sun and Jin flashback. Wonderful! Perhaps they are some of the most ineffectual characters on the islands, but nevertheless this episode works fairly well due to the flashbacks and the central issue of pregnancy, which is part of the reason Juilet is on the island.... Obviously the cliffhanger of this episode will leave us "hanging" for somewhat long.... I am pretty sure, whatever happens in the end of Lost, not at all the ends will be tied up and we will be dissatisfied. Oh, where are the days of Season 1 and Season 2... where interesting things happened...
  • Setting it up for a grand finale

There really wasn't anything worthwhile in this episode.As was expected after juliet comes to meet the survivors she hooks up with Sun,which seemed to be the plan from the beginning.As with many episodes this season,the writers seem to have a knack to make us watch the next episode just hoping for more answers.The same happens here as well as the crashed pilot mentions something interesting right at the end.

It should be an interesting episode this week probably written with an intention to set up a grand finale.But the way things are going nothing but a miracle can help resurrect this sagging series. We really need more answers
  • An ugly secret is revealed; another one may be hidden

By now the story of Jin and Sun is approaching one of an epic love story, mainly in the amount of obstacles that have divided the two, even during the marriage. 'D.O.C.'s flashback takes place before the ones we've seen showing their marriage, reveal some stunning secrets about their families, including one that if Jin were ever to find out, he really might not be able to forgive.

All his life Jin has been ashamed of his family. We already know his father was a humble fisherman, and that he hid this before he began courting Sun. Which is why it came as something of a shock to learn (indirectly) in 'The Whole Truth' that Sun has always known about, and has been helping protect Jin. Now, in this flashback we learnt hat the truth was even uglier. Jin's mother was a prostitute, and his father--- the only compassionate parent we've met on this show--- even hid it from his son, though he raised him while he was never certain of the boy's parentage. Now decades later, an older woman claiming to be Jin's mother blackmails Sun by threatening to expose her role to her father.

Which leads us back to Mr. Paik, friend of humanity. Sun seems to have hid from her husband the evils that he did, but it was never clear that she knew. Now in her confrontation, she reveals she's always known, and it has sickened her as much as anybody else. Now she demands money to play the blackmailer, and the very act of protecting her new husband is what put him under Paik's thumb to begin with. He was working in a non-criminal capacity for him before, the money she asked for transferred the shame to her husband, who never wanted to be in debt to this man even now.

Up until now, Sun has had our sympathies in most of these flashbacks, but now that we know she's been holding back from her husband even more than he has, it takes a huge amount away. Before we could understand why she went into the arms of Jae Lee. Now it seems like she made her husband a monster, and then tried to run when she didn't like what she saw. And now Sun's secrets are coming back to bite her.

Perhaps it's not surprising that Sun is the person who calls Juliet on whatever the hell's she's doing, but enough her anger is genuine fright, which becomes even clearer when Juliet tells her that all pregnant women on the island eventually die. She then goes with Juliet back to a familiar place --- the Staff station, where Ethan kept Claire, and which Claire and Kate discovered a little later. This time, Juliet shows that there was useful material inside it-- including an ultrasound. Though the science that Juliet presents shows either that she's not the worlds best fertility specialist--- or that the writers got really lazy in researching their facts--- the scenes with her and Sun are pretty powerful anyway. Mainly because Sun is so frightened that she reveals a lot more of the reasons for her fear, and because Juliet genuine wants to give some good news after years of pronouncing death sentences when dealing with pregnancies. The irony is, she delivers one this time, but Sun takes it as a sign for rejoicing, because it's means the baby is Jin's , and that the island really did heal her marriage. Juliet seems to take it well, too--- until she goes back into the station, and records a message for Ben about the ultrasound she just performed. Even then, we still can't help but sympathize with her, especially after she turns off the recorder and says, no doubt in honesty: "I hate you." Still, this will have an effect on Juliet, and is probably the impetus for what happens next.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the island, Desmond's party is still trying to learn information from the woman who fell out of the sky. Problem is, she seems to be speaking in every language but English, and she's got a tree branch through her chest. Before they can figure out what to do, another figure emerges, and this is a bigger shock--- it's Mikhail. How exactly he survived the cerebral hemorrhage in 'Par Avion' is a question that has never been satisfactorily answered, and we certainly don't get one now, but they strike a Faustian deal in which he tries to save this woman's life. He does so, and then tries to steal the sat phone that she was carrying. Charlie doesn't want to, but Desmond allows Mikhail to escape---- an action that will end up costing them dearly in the end. This again, brings up the issue of which of the sides has done more to hurt the Other. Desmond brings up the fact that the Losties have killed five of the Others, while only two of their people have died. But all of the actions that the Losties have taken have been in reactions to ones that the Others have been made. When the final bell is rung by the end of the season, the factors will have changed far more, but it must be said that even now, everything the Losties have done can be justified, while the Others don't even try to defend their actions. Maybe they've been along so long they've got their own definition of what civilization means.

Eventually, the woman recovers and finally begins speaking English, and when she learns who these people are, she is shocked but not for the same reason they are--- Oceanic 815 has been recovered, and there were no survivors on board. Even now, it's still not clear what this woman knew about the flight, and what she was keeping from the survivors. But there is a lot more to this story that I don't think has been clear explained even a couple of seasons later.

'D.O.C.' ends with a moment of good news for one character, but one that also puts her in more definitive danger than anyone else on the island. Even if the Others don't come for her on Juliet's instruction, she will be dead some time in the next two months. This will reflect her actions, and as we know Sun is good at keeping secrets. But all her lies have mainly hurt her husband, and this one could lead to far worse consequences than the others.
    My score:8.5
  • A well done Sun/Jin episode.

Its somewhat brave of the writers to include a SunJin episode at the season's endgame. They are the characters who always have much slower episodes than the rest, and more episodic too.

But now that Sun has a major storyline that is connected to the island, I think it was a smart decision. This was a great episode all around, much better than last week's "trek".

One of the greatest things was the flashback which many seemed to hate, but... I loved it.

Especially the part where Sun meets Jin's father. Amazing performance by the man, and very meotional series of scenes too.

I also liked how Sun stood up for herself and her husband at the end of the episode. And.. I was completetly surprised that the "mystery woman" was actually Jin's mother.

This episode also continues a recurring theme of Lost and that's how every decision has a consequnce... and not just for the one who makes the decision. It is basically Sun's indirect fault that Jin ended up working and doing horrible things for Mr. Paik.

The island portion was a huge improvement over the previous episode aswell. Sun and Juliet return to the medical station to find out who the father of the baby is. It's Jin! Great and bad news too. Great: it's Jin's! Bad: Sun's going to die soon unless rescue happens...

Can you say dramatic?

The sideplot, Desmond and co; superb! Mikhail returns, literally from the death just to manipulate a group of losties...again. I've to say the fight with him and Jin was superawesome.

Now, onto the ending... unlike last week's lackluster ending, this week we got a jaw dropping moment. The newly arrived stranger has something to tell Hurley.

That, 815 was found. And everyone died.

What?

LOST.
  • A not so shocking flashback...

I really don't care for the Sun flashback episodes, they aren't as juicy in character development as the others have been. So, I was a little upset with this episode...Who didn't see it coming when the woman who was black mailing Sun was Jin's mother?...As soon as the word prostitute came up on screen, I knew right then and there. Also, the Date of Conception angle was nicely done, we found out that Jin was the father of her baby, and not the guy who took a swandive off the building. With Sun finding out she's pregnant with Jin's baby that was concevied on the island, that means Sun is going to die, in say 6-8 weeks (I think that's what they said), if that's the case she's still going to be on the show for awhile since they've been on the island 89 days, and it's the shows third season. The most schocking part of the episode came at the end (as always), when Nessa from Las Vegas said that they found the plane, and there weren't any survivors...Now, this brings up a few more questions, like...Is it a government cover-up?...Is she lying?...I think she's lying, since she said she wasn't alone, and few episodes back in the Juliette flashback, the television said the plane had mysteriously disappeared...Who knows what's going on...I'm just enjoying the ride.
  • Made me think (which I hate doing) Came up with a couple of observations/questions???

The first observation, is when the injured girl from the helicopter (dont remember name) said "flight 815, they found the plane and they were no survivors". Ok so either there all dead, which makes no sense, or the power that be (him, Jacob, Ben or whoever) happened to stage a plane crash said that there were no survivor on flight 815 so there would be no investigation, and no one looking for the island. So the person(s) behind the island have a lot of power/wealth to be able to fool everyone.

Secondly, did Ben manipulate the situation with Kate/Sawyer when they were captives, so they would do it?
    Now I think the whole point of taking them was to see if Kate could get pregnant, because the whole crushing rocks, screwing with Sawyers head (conning him)was alittle stupid didnt see where they were going with that, except that they wanted to break Kate/Sawyer's spirit. So I guess Ben wanted to see if a healthy male & female from the plane crash could get pregnant while on the island
  • Review

Lets break this episode down into three parts: The Flashback, Jin and Company, and Sun and Juliet. I thought the flashback portion of this episode was very dry, with not a whole lot of anything that I needed to know. It was fairly obvious from the beginning of the flashbacks that the "Mystery Woman" was going to turn out to be Jins mom, so I dont consider that to be anything big. The flashback in itself was rather boring, with Jin and Sun having there occassional fight when she starts asking too many questions, etc etc. The scene where she met his Dad was interesting, but other then that I thought it was one of the worst flashback stories to date. I thought Sun and Juliets trek out into the jungle was one of the better parts of the episode, with us learning that Jin is the ftaher of Suns baby and we can now stop thinking maybe Micheal and Sun had a breif thing. Juliets mission on the losties side of the camp is exposed, with Juliet trying to get samples of all the woman on the island for whatever reason that they may need them. I thought Suns character showed great emotion with her "Catch-22", granted that was last episode...but still. Desmond, Jin, Hurley, and Charlies story added some humor to the episode that needed something to form a spark and everything in those scenes was perfect. Patchys interaction with the characters was really good and I find it interesting he was after the phone all along. I thought the big reveal at the end that "They found Flight 815" adds to all of us who are "Men of Science". To me that means that they were brought to this island and then people on the outside covered it up, but perhaps we will learn more as the story continues to devolop. Overall, Desmond and companys part of the episode got a 3.33/3.33, Suns got a 3/3.33 and the flashback got a 2.1/3.33, giving me a total of 8.5. Solid episode, but the flashback is the thing that really killed it for me - on island drama was really well done.
  • The Ending of Sun Flashbacks?

Objective - » Since Juliet explained what happens with the pregnant woman in the Island, it was a matter of time, until Sun became the Main Character of an episode. Her episode appears in a good time, since after that, the last 5 episodes of this season simple can be mind blowing. The 3 focus are: Sun in the Island, her flashback and Desmond trying to save this unknown woman that arrived on the Island.

Flashbacks -» The presentation began simple, than the set of the complication phase was unexpected. The Best of the Complication phase is her conversation with Jin father, this man simple portrays perfect his role, yet was simple drama, that make difficult not to feel sorry for Jin and his father, simply excellent. Her interaction with her father don´t were behind, simple perfect, when you finally know, why Jin has to work for him and why was that type of work, was Sun fault after all. The Climax was when she have to lie to Jin, a little Sad, when you known is sad destiny. The ending have one more surprise, but I think the majority of the audience could catch it from miles.

Sun Event on The Island -» The presentation begins very simplistic when Jack came to see her. Then the complication is set when Kate can´t lie very well and Juliet tells the truth. Then, the two of them, go to the medical station, to see the Date of Conception, so if was on the Island, she will die, but if was not in Island, then she will be safe. The ironic thing here is that the first option is what would make her more happy, because she love Jin. You have some information about the Island rules, which make sense, since Locke can walk. The climax is what you can expect, dramatic. Desmond Event On the Island -» Very interesting also. The presentation already happened in the last episode, but then the set complication phase bring one character back, which is a great surprise. His fight Jin was cool. The complication phase was only about taking care of that unknown woman and knowing one more rule about the Island. Didn´t notice the climax, but the ending was strong.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Gold. Didn´t Notice

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. Hard to notice that scenes that are just there to buy time.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: Sun Flashbacks is full of surprises. Her event in the Island too. Desmond mini plot have a great surprise too.

4 - Action: Gold. Great Fight.

5 - Funny: None.

6 - Drama: Gold. There isn´t a character that I can feel more sorry than Jin. Sad Faith.

7 - Tension/Fear: .Bronze. Maybe to know Sun faith.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Silver. You want to know Sun faith? Want to feel more sorry for Jin? Want to know one or two information about the Island Rules? Want a mind blowing ending? Then this episode is for you

If wasn´t for the next great episodes, I would rate this episode with a 9. Recommended.
  • Finally we find out that Jin is the father of Sun's baby!

This was a very good episode once again! I'm relieved to see that Juliet isn't entirely "bad", but rather trying to save herself. That's why she's still working with the others and it's not that she wanted to harm anyone. I hope she'll come around and eventually stop double-dealing...
    Mikhail is still alive which really came as a surprise. We saw him die!!
    That woman is probably from the Dharma Initiative, isn't she? At the end of the previous episode I thought it might be Desmond's ex for a second. But I was wrong, there's a whole new secret to discover! Who is she? What's she doing there? Why did she have the picture of Des and Penny?? And why's she speaking so many different languages?
    I can't wait. Especially after that woman said that flight 815 was found and had no survivors. What's wrong there? I'm dying to find out. And I am really looking forward to the big finale which is supposed to be like the hugest deal ever!!
  • Sun learns that pregnant women on the island die before they give birth. She confronts Juliet and eventually Juliet gives her an ultrasound and we learn the paternity and the date of conception of the baby. We also learn about Jin's past.

A pretty good episode. I was pretty shocked to see Mikhail alive. I suspect that passing through the invisible fence probably just knocks you out but does not actually kill you, explaining why he is still alive. Also the writers of Lost have said 1000 times they are not in purgatory so I suspect that the others probably faked the finding of the plane. It was nice to see some more development of Sun and Jin while at the same time advancing the plot some. I wonder if Kate might be pregnant now as well with Sawyer's baby... I'm looking forward to next week.
  • Yeah perhaps not as good as previous episodes but the story was put together nicely

Last weeks 'Catch-22' left me in huge suspense because of the fantastic ending.
    I was a little annoyed because we didn't hear much more about the new lady so we have to wait another week for the answers. The Sun, Jin flashback was decent, I liked the fact that Jin's parents are both alive which he didn't now about.
    But we find out that Sun is going die because of her pregnancy but the baby is Jin's! Poor Sun she has about 3 months left to live and she'll probably get sick in the last week also. THE best part was Mikhali's return! We all thought he was dead but we are proven wrong, (that was 'Par Avion') but he seemed keen on his death so it's not surprising.
    He was forced to help save the women by first-Aid. The rest of the episode was just OK. I'm impressed with the story but I've seen better. The next one looks excellent 'The Brig' It's called. It only get's better right?
  • Jin's a Daddy, The Staff returns and the survivors are all dead!

Many of the season 3 epiosdes, from "Enter 77" onwards can be put under the "Revealing" category and for those that complain about not getting answers or the story not moving forward this was a positive thing, proving that the creators had chosen their time to start answering stuff.
    Once again D.O.C. is another smart exercise in this choice, giving us more information and hints. We find out what happens to pregnant women on the island that try to conceive there, the fact that Jin and Sun did conceive on the island, blowing out the theory that Jae Lee was the father. There are also some hints that Juliet may not be a mole in the camp because she wants to help Ben, even though she has to, and that Kate Austen is Pregnant too, thanks to Sawyer. D.O.C. may not be as revelatory as some other episodes but it does a job of keeping the answers coming at a more consistent nature, as minor as some of them may be.
    However, the final revelation is enough to send fans reeling in their own theories. Since Season 1 an early theory was the "Purgatory" theory, in which the survivors were all supposed to be dead. That theory was discredited by the writers as being untrue. But Naomi Dorrit's words to Hurley would suggest otherwise. It seems more likely that what Naomi told Hurley was a cover-up attempt. The pacing of the episode is quite slow at times, but that is to be expected with a Jin/Sun episode. However, it does have ample time for some jungle action with Des, Charlie, Hurley, Naomi and Mikhail, who was last seen in the present being seriously electrocuted on the sonic security fence. His reappearance only gives more credence to the theory that the island has immense healing properties, something that has become all the more clear this season. Even Sun's miraculous pregnancy can be tied into the island's healing properties. Jin was sterile before crashing on the island. Add to that Locke's ability to walk again, Rose's cancer being cured and now Mikhail resurrected, ou can't ignore the fact that the island has the healing powers, probably made possible by the high level of Electromagnetism on the island. But how is it then that it can choose who should heal, quickly or at all? Ben hasn't made a recovery and some people have not even survived, ala Boone. It could be that, like Boone, those that have perished have all been,as Locke states, "Sacrifice[s] that the island demanded". If that is the case then who is pulling the strings? If electromagnetism is the cure then who is controlling the cure?
    Not only does Mikhail survive but he also hints that on the island wounds heal differently on the island and that Naomi's punctured lung [no less] should heal in a day [or maybe a half!].
    Since Season 1 we have learnt that the island has the power to heal but how and why is still not clear to us.
    The fight scene between Jin and Mikhail is amazing and, not since Season 1 and the fights with Ethan Rom and Jack have we witnessed such a brilliant display. Not only has Jin's sperm count risen but his abilities in Martial Art have too!
    For all the fights and tension with the guys and one Gal the main story is devoted to Sun, who once again gives a wide range of emotions, sometimes all in one scene or shot. Sun is conflicted with many emotions, just like Juliet. They make a good pair!
    This episode may be slower but that doesn't make this episode any less compelling. It is all about the acting performances, as many of them have been lately. The performances here are not as electrifying as in "One of Us" but they are just as emotional. Both Elizabeth Mitchell and Yunjin Kim display a wide range of emotions making their characters all the more complicated. When Juliet is talking into the Dictaphone to Ben, you think she is all bad and working in Ben's best interest until her sudden last line, "I Hate You", which suddenly changes the tone of the scene. What is up with Juliet? I think that she has agreed to do what Ben has told her to do but in this mission senses a chance to get herself of the island or at least is trying to mix with people who want to leave like her.
    It is still not clear but it would seem that Juliet is taking the "Every Man [or Woman] for Himself" motto that Sawyer holds dear to his heart.
    The pacing of this episode may be rather mixed but certainly events throughout add to the growing momentum of this season as it heads to its close.
    And if you thought the quality here was good just wait.....
  • Lost!Lost!Lost!

After learning that the Others' pregnant women died before giving birth on the island, Sun allows Juliet to examine her in the Dharma medical station. Juliet reports back to Ben. Desmond meets a living Mikhail in the jungle and allows him to help save the life of Naomi. Flashbacks show Sun being blackmailed by Jin's biological mother, whom Sun thought to be dead. Sun is going to die or is she one of my favourite questions of the series so far, because imagine the storylines that would erupt next season with Jin and Sun, I just can't wait to find out there.This episode was a interesting one we also get to see Jin kick some Russian butt and the staff station agian.
  • Exciting episode. Wish they did more with the 'new arrival'

I found this episode very exciting. The series is starting to increase it's pace and it's making me impatient for new episodes. Juliet's character is still a mystery to me. Sometimes you swear she is not working with the others, then you find out she is, only her loyalty is questionable... to both the survivors of the plane and to the others. I wonder where she will end up come the end of the season. Personally, I think she is just working with Ben because she thinks he's her only way off the island. But if wants to be free, then she might have to work with the survivors.

Time will tell.
  • The father is in...it's JIN.

It's finally done with. Sun got pregnant on the island. Do you consider that relief or just more bad news. This means she's definitely going to die and the way Juliet was smiling, she just found a new opportunity. I thought Yunjin rocked the episode because she had to play two different characters at one time: the mistress and the wife. That was just tough. And I'm really intrigued now with this woman we call Naomi. What's her deal? How many languages can one person now? At any rate, is Penny coming? I really need to know.

Here's my complete review on my site: http://www.thetvwatcher.com/lost3_18.html