Lost

Dave

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 05, 2006 on ABC

• Talk about a giant step back

At least once a season, there comes a point where the writers of Lost seem to go on their own vacation and try and fill time until the countdown till the final season begins. 'Dave' would seem to be one of those episodes, but there are a couple of points that may prove valid to the series as a whole, as well as a couple of loose ends that the writers of the series are never going to wrap up.

The episode is centered around at what was one of the early theories of what the island is--- that it was a hallucination of one of the characters. We know now that Hurley spent some time in a metal institution, and he is probably the most popular guy on the island. Are the [people an extension of his personality? Or is there another reason that he hasn't lost any weight on this island? We've known that he has been holding on to a stash of food, and when he finally confesses his sin to Libby (we'll get to her in a minute), her reaction is not one of someone who's been eating mangoes and fish for two months. Rather she encourages him to destroy it, This leads to the appearance of someone who makes Hurley very nervous.

The person he sees is Dave, obviously, and he was one of the people who he knew from Santa ROsa. We learn that he was nearly catatonic after an incident where he stepped on an overcrowded, causing it to collapse and two people to die. He has blamed himself and that is why he hasn't changed. Dave was a manifestation of his personality--- the part that didn't want him to get better. When he realized this, he managed a breakthrough, and things got better--- for a while.

Now Dave is back, and his telling him this same hallucination theory. He adds the fact that the numbers are still recurring everywhere, we've been seeing them around a lot, including with the Dharma Initiative, and now he convinces Hurley that this is cycle that he has to break. Hurley then tries to find a way to break this theory.

Here's a more pertinent question, because it's never been asked, if Dave is hallucination, why is Hurley seeing him now after all this time? Does he think that his eating is putting people at risk somehow? More interestingly, what if Dave is one of the first indication that the island is 'talking' to him? In later seasons, Hurley will show evidence of being able to tap into a vital force of the island (I won't go into details) and even when he is off the island, he will continue to see people who can't reasonably be there. Is it possible that Hurley, like Locke and Eko has some kind of communion with the island, and that it is trying to test him? Perhaps the island feels that Locke is not quite passing the trials, given his attitude of the past few weeks, and maybe it senses Hurley--- the only person who is certain they're on the island In the end, Libby convinces Hurley that this is a real by saying that she knows something that he doesn't. However, we then get the final twist--- that Libby was also at Santa Rosa. At the time I thought that this meant that this was some kind of hallucination, and Libby was another part of it. Then, of course, there's the point everyone made--- if Libby was really there, how come Hurley, who clearly remembered a lot of other patients, didn't remember? Was Libby some kind of doctor. We find out later that she has connections to a couple of other people on the island--- is it possible that she's an Other? There are definitely possibilities, but the writers never tried to explain or explore them.

Far more interesting things are happening back in the hatch, with the re-interrogations of the Other formerly known as Henry. What's never been quite clear is how not-Henry got caught in Rousseau's. Everything this man has done is by design, so why did he come to this side of the island for? Why are the Others, who up until now have made covert attempts to move through the Others, and who threatened the Losties with violence should they try and find them deliberately infiltrate them? Not-Henry says he was following orders (even now there's a possibility that he's telling the truth), but why come like this? And, despite what we says, he knows very well what happens if you don't input the numbers into the computer, so why is he lying? If he is trying to protect the island, why would he do something that he knows very well could lead to massive casualties? We're still waiting for answers on that one

Though 'Dave' does have some interesting moments and raises some interesting questions, for the most part, it feels a lot like 'Fire + Water,. We're running in circles, and even though interesting thigns are happening --- what was up with the food drop? what were Charlie and Eko building?--- we don't seem to be getting answers. Even if it does explode one of the major theories, they could've done that and done more in the hatch. So why keep us here anyway? It was nice to see Sawyer take a beating from the man he has antagonized the most--- but then, maybe that wasn't real either.
    My score:6
  • Great episode.

This was a great episode. Was very Hurley based, but I liked that. It let us in on a bit more of Hurleys past. Many things that happened throughout this show I had expected, and im sure many others did aswell. However, the ending through me off, and im sure did the same to everyone else. The ending left me Lost I guess I could say. Another great thing about the show, they always leave you wondering.
  • Awesome.

Hurley chases after his old imaginary friend in the jungle, and his relationship with Libby develops. Locke questions his commitment to the hatch, after Henry claims to have never entered the numbers. Hurley remembers his time at a mental institution. It is revealed via flashback that Libby attended the mental institution, as well. I love the way everyone is with the new food - love it. Hurley keeps seeing Dave his imaginary friend, kind of scary. I love the hatch scenes, I love the way Jack is looking after Locke. I love the way everyone is towards Henry awesome storyline. I love Eko and Charlie scenes. I love the way Sawyer has oreos! I love the Hurley and Sawyer fighting scene - extremely funny it has me in tears. I love the Locke and Henry scene and I love the ending!
  • Very Good Exploration!!!!

Logic:

After the Last time that Hurley was the Main Character, his flashbacks wasn´t impressive, so the writers had a second chance to do the right thing and to explore this great character.

So they Choose to explore his psychology. Is Hugo Crazy? Could all be his imagination, since he won the lottery and had some bad luck, it make sense that the writers explore this side, because his story his really crazy. There is no plot holes, it makes perfect sense what happened with him in this episode.

This also explains why he eats so much.

Nice Details:

The way that the writers explored the Hurley psychology was very well done. His last conversation with his friend DAvid is a great Example of that.

There is also a great detail about "Henry", his scenes with Sayid and after with Locke was great. What he said make sense, but again, you don´t know if he is telling the truth.

Emotions:

This episode is about confusing the audience and give them a twist. There are funny scenes like when Hurley fights with Sawyer or when he destroy all his food and someone put more food in the Island.

Even Henry Scene with Locke is confusing, since you don´t know if he is telling the truth or if he is playing with Locke.

Discovering what is Hurley friend and why he reminds of seeing Libby is a nice surprise.

We have some drama too, when we discover why he eats so much.

Progression:

This episode did is job, to point A to point B, is all about character development and not about doing something big happen. So Hurley problem is addressed and solved in a single episode as expected.

Ending:

An essential income to finish in the best form and to change the opinion in general about an episode. This episode had a very good ending.

Overall:

You can expected great Character development, funny scenes and confusing scenes too, drama and a good ending, make this episode deserves at least a 9.
  • Private Idaho

Quizás esto que estoy escribiendo sea leído por nadie simplemente porque hay nadie del otro lado. Quizás mi mente esté creando este momento como creó todos los momentos y mis dedos que no existen apretando teclas que no existen mientras miro que las palabras que escribo (que tampoco existen obviamente) en la pantalla imaginaria estén bien escritas en un idioma que yo (mi mente) inventó quién sabe cuando y cómo. Y este restaurante en el que trabajo se llame Barrancas porque se supone que nací en Barracas y entonces acá moriré. Quizás nada sea más real que un avión cayendo en espiral sobre una ciudad inexistente.
  • Another character on the island is seeing things. That element of the storytelling may be getting a bit monotonous but this episode is still fasinating because of it.

To say I liked this episode better than Lockdown would be an insult to Locke, but I despite my much lower rating I enjoyed it as much. There was mystery, reveals and wonderful character exploration. Perhaps the standout of this episode is not the story but the acting quality of Jorge Garcia, as Hurley. Hereally nails his character in this episode and we do really feel sorry for him in those flashbacks. That scene where he talks to the shrink is probably Jorge's finest acting moment so far of the series. I totally believed he was a mentally troubled man and suddenly my image of what someone living in a Psychiatric hospital became clear to me. And it is not that you are completely off your trolley, drooling at the mouth, screaming incomprehensively. Hurley understands what is happening to him but yet it powerless to do anything about it. In fact there may not be anything wrong with him, he just thinks there is and that is what makes him such a great example of someone with mental problems.
    "Dave" is a fasinating character and his words of wisdom (or so they seemed) to Hurley play to our own suspicions and theories as to what is going on, for example the idea that everything that has happened is just in someone's head.
    By the episode's end we are thown another HUGE plot twist with the reveal that Libby was also a patient at Hurley's hospital.
    Usually Hurley's episodes are generally light-hearted, filled with humour. While this episode has those familiar moments (particularly the hilarious brawl scene with Sawyer) this episode brings out the more serious and emotional side of his character. Hurley is not so much the lovable, cuddly, easy going, fun seeking individual we once knew him as. In this episode he is tearful, angry, bitter and impulsive.
    This behavior may make his character much more interesting in the future.
    Dave thought it odd that Libby is with Hurley. I find that odd too, not because I think that no one would find Hurley attractive, because I think they would, if only for his inner appearance, but because they look such an odd couple.
    That said I can't think of anyone else she could be best with. There is no one else!! And that's not being unfair to Hurley! You rock!
    As I'm writing this review I can't actually remember what else happens outside the Hurley scenes. I know that life in The Swan goes a little quiet after the last episode, as was expected.
    This was a cool episode, one which had good momentum, a wonderful acting job by Jorje Garcia and more for viewers to ponder over.
  • An old friend of Hurley's comes back into his life from his instituition days, Libby lends a helping hand with Hurley to get him back on the straight and narrow. Locke's faith and sense of purpose regading the bunker is put into question.

Locke is recovering his leg, but still wants to know whats happening all the time, Henry admits to Sayid that he is one of them, but he won't divulge anything because he is more scared of them than anything. The others try to talk to Henry but the result is the same, but it is very obvious that Henry is a very good manipulator of peoples mind's.

Libby and Hurley get more involved as she tries to tone and firm him up with some excerise, he admits to her that he needs to drop a few pounds, but also that he is sick, that he has a food problem. He takes her to his stash and after talking, he destroys his stash of food, therefore taking away the opportunity.

As they are destroying the last item, people rush through their area and say that something is happening, they follow them and discover that a pallet of food has been airdropped to their location. Just as he was getting to overcome his problem then a new one comes along, then as people are fighting over it, someone suggest that Hurley do it, he's trusted and he's done it before.

Hurley takes off into the jungle and starts to see his friend Dave again, then in a flashback moment we learn that Dave was also a patient in the mental hospital where they were patience together. How he was always leading Hurley down the wrong road of choices all the time.

Henry admits to Locke that nothing happened whatsoever regarding the countdown, he did not do anything, it got to zero then some red symbols then it went back to 108 mins.

Mr Eko and Charlie are spending alot of time together, building something, they are busy cut down wood and making a clearing.

Dave and Hurley are having a catch up time, from the moment he left the group on the beach to go back to the caves, Dave is then permanently attached
    by Hurleys side, all the way upto the top of the cliffs, where he tries to convince Hurley that he is still in the hospital in a comatosed state from the accident, that the island is all in his mind, that by falling into the ocean the wake up process will start. He is about to, but then is rescued by Libby in an emotionally charged scene that must have had tears streaming down cheeks somewhere, the twist with Libby and Hurley being in the same hospital flashback was unexpected.
  • Awesome

Hurley chases after his old imaginary friend in the jungle, and his relationship with Libby develops. "Henry Gale" tells Locke that he did not enter the numbers, and Locke questions his commitment to the hatch. Hurley remembers his time at a mental institution, and surprisingly, so does Libby. Dave was full of information and honestly had me really confused and normally I don't really get confused by this show the whole its in your mind thing was crazy but I knew it was bull crap because this episode would have happened near the end of the series.
    Overal a Brilliant and informative episode with plenty going on.
  • Nice episode... And it was revealing

This 18th episode of Season 2 focussed on Hugo and his obsession to food. It was a great plotted story and I loved it. Henry Gale is one of them and it just comes to show, "Who can you trust?" That's right, probably no one. We're learning more about the others slowly, and I am glad that Ana-Lucia stopped Sayid from pulling the trigger directly at Henry. Hurley meeting his imaginary friend Dave on this island, wow... The whole flashback business of Hugo's life was sad, but so damn cool. Dave was excellent in the mental hospital. The part where Hugo realized the truth, a sad one... Dave doesn't exist. So Hugo is even more in mental shape. The Hugo beating up the smart-a** Sawyer scene was a crack up. Then of course, Kate the big mouth steps in to make fun of Sawyer. Annoying person she can be sometimes lol.
    Libby was a great character throughout this episode, lending Hurley support, helping him get rid of the food. But no one was expecting for her to be in the same mental hospital as Hugo...! Crap, they all seem connected in some way.
    But my favourite parts were learning about Henry Gale's real identity and what his intentions were. But yeah, "DAVE is the man!".

• A nice episode... More of a revealing week

Overall, it was a great episode, more of a revealing week. Next week's looks better though, as looking in the promo...
  • A nice episode... More of a revealing week

• Nice episode... And it was revealing

• A Hurley-centric episode.

Let me just start out this review by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode, and I thought that the flashbacks of Hurley's life were very interesting. I really liked getting to learn more about Hurley because I've always thought that his back story was very interesting. I also liked getting the chance to see more of character Libby since I think that she's a very interesting character. I loved the part when Hurley attacks Sawyer and they get into a big fight. That part was so funny. This is definitely my favorite of all the Hurley-centric episodes that they've had so far. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Two DVD set.
  • Clearly a filler episode, but do I care? Nope. As long as fillers are as mind bending and entertaining as "Dave", I just don't care.

Dave is truly one of the true gems of this show, in my opinion. Many people would disagree, but to me this episode was just a huge mindtrip.

Alot say that they seen Dave not being real from the first minute. Well I didn't... so having it revealed that Dave is Hurley's imaginery friend in the middle of the episode really shocked me. Simply put, this episode explained every single mystery by claiming it's all in Hurley's head. And how funny; it all makes sense. While it's not the case, iT'll make you think think and think even more. It was just really well done. I was ready to get a happy ending with Libby kissing Hurley, but then we get a Libby flashback sequence only to find out she was in the same mental hospital as Hurley. And she seemed somewhat dodgy too. What?

WHAT?

What...?

The subplot, with Sayid and Ana trying to get info out of Henry wasn't very revealing but it was exciting so to say. But I just couldn't care because I was so invested in Hurley's super freaky storyline. It creeped me out even more than Numbers!

OVerall, can't quite rate it perfect on the basis it's still a filler episode no matter how amazing it was. Plus there definitely was room for improvement dialouge wise, but I'll look past that for now.
  • Great!

Hurley has flashbacks of when he was in the mental hospital. His friend, Dave, didn't want him to get thinner. It turns out that he made Dave up. Libby is also there.

Libby helps Hurley try to solve his problem with weight. More food arrives from the sky. Hurley sees Dave on the island and freaks out. Dave tries to convince him that the island is all fake and just a dream. Libby shows up just in time to save Hurley, who is about to jump off a cliff. They kiss. Locke goes on crutches. He and Sayid talk to "Gale." It is confirmed that he is an "Other."

This episode was great! I want to know more about "Gale." Also, the ending with Libby was great! This episode gets a 9.5 out of 10!
  • Hurley and his imaginary friend Dave

As I have already stated in previous episodes, Hurley is one of my favorite characters of this show and has been since the very beginning. I was a little confused on this episode however, because I wasn't sure if Dave was actually imaginary or not till about halfway through the episode. I was kinda glad when Henry told John that he never pushed the button in the hatch and nothing ever happened as a result. John was started to get on my nerves with his whole obsession with the hatch. I was a little sad at the end when Hurley was standing on the edge of the cliff. I actually thought he was going to jump. The real surprise in this episode was at the very end when we see Libby up in the same psych ward as Hurley. That blew me.
  • Dave who is he.

Overal a Brilliant and informative episode with plenty going on.
  • "You can't help me. No one can."

This is a hard episode to review. A lot like the flashbacks in Hunting Party, the episode confuses me as to the point of it. It starts out looking like it'll be a character development episode, with a big change for Hurley at the end. However, about halfway through it looks like it's going to be an episode that exists to try and prove a fan theory wrong. There's a very elaborate setup as to how the show is a hallucination, and then that's deconstructed. That just doesn't add up to me.

The main story, whatever the plot is supposed to be, focuses on Hurley. The teaser of the episode is really well done, however odd the rest of the episode may be. It starts out on a really high note for Hurley, with Libby encouraging him to destroy his stash of food once and for all. It's good that Libby is finally getting some screen time, as she's been nonexistent since arriving at the camp. Unfortunately, I think it's ridiculous that instead of Hurley giving the food to the other survivors, he simply pours it all on the ground. Yeah, there has just been a food drop, but Hurley doesn't know this, and gooping vast amounts of ranch dressing and ripping open bags of potato chips and "Dharma fish crackers" (I love the way the producers cheekily don't use the actual product name) is just irresponsible, when other people could use it. It makes for a good image, though, and a real fist-in-the-air moment for Hurley. The scenes around the pallet are great as well, especially Sawyer sarcastically taking out everyone around him-"Babynapper" is a great nickname for Charlie. Finally, Hurley takes off into the jungle after Dave, and ends up falling hilariously and getting his slipper. "Uh-oh" is a great way to end the sequence.

After that, though, things start to become weird. Hurley alternates between wanting Libby's help and then pushing her away, and the scene when he says he's going to live naked at the caves just comes out of nowhere and is quite odd, especially considering that all he's taking with him is peanut butter. There are a number of chase scenes with Dave, that don't really serve any purpose other than to provide some jokes. Charlie's "polar bear on roller blades with a mango" line is hilarious, though. On a side note, Charlie deciding to help Eko with his mysterious project is a nice gesture, and it helps to bring Charlie back into the audience's favor. After kidnapping Sun, Charlie hasn't really been a bad person at all, despite his actions before. Anyway, back to Hurley. After this sequence, Hurley gets into a fight with Sawyer. Once again, the scene is pretty hilarious (my favorite moment is when Hurley describes Dave and then Sawyer says, "Like that guy there?" with a completely straight face), but it doesn't have any point in the storyline. Jin's face while watching Hurley beat up Sawyer is great, and Sawyer asking Kate if she has an adventure to get to is fun, but it really just seems like filler to me.

When Hurley finally meets with Dave and they have their conversation, it seems like the episode has finally figured out what it wants to do-explain why the show is ridiculous, and then explain why it's not. At least, that's what I get out of it. Dave uses criticisms that a lot of non-fans actually use for the show, like Hurley not losing weight, Libby falling for him, etc. Then, after convincing Hurley everything's in his head, Libby shows up and talks to Hurley, and convinces him everything isn't in his head. Aside from the fact that these scenes directly contradict each other, which is their intent, I can't help but wonder why the producers felt they needed to explain how the show isn't a hallucination, which is clearly what they were doing. As much as Hurley's character is changed by what happens to him, most of the story is pretty much unnecessary to the ongoing plot. Once again, it just seems to me that the writers are trying to pander to the stupidest viewers of the show by saying, "See, I know you can't follow what's going on and don't want to watch the show anymore because you think there's going to be a cop-out ending, but we promise there won't be!" It's like how they tried to explain why Hurley isn't slim as a willow, or how they are currently about to come up with a way to explain why Walt is taller than he was in Season 1, when the actor obviously aged. As I said in a previous review, if you can't separate yourself from the show enough to understand why these things are, you have a serious problem.

The flashbacks are a completely different animal than the main story, and the only link between them is Dave. Before I start, though, I'd like to say that I think Evan Handler does a terrific job as Dave, and is wonderful in every scene he's in. However, the flashbacks seem to be explaining another two or three things. They answer why Hurley's in a mental institution, what's up with his fear of change, why he's still heavy, and probably a ton of other things I haven't figured out yet. Dave is trying to make Hurley eat more, and rebel against what Dr. Brooks is telling Hurley he should be doing. When the doctor proves to Hurley that Dave is imaginary though, Hurley chooses the straight and narrow, while Dave disappears. The scene when Dr. Brooks talks about the deck accident is amazingly played by Jorge Garcia, who proves he's not just a comic actor. His pained expression during the whole scene is heartbreaking, and his acting at the cliff on the island isn't too bad either (On the comic side of things, I love the way he continually sprays food out of his mouth while shouting "You're not here!" again and again to Dave). Aside from that scene, though, the flashbacks just confuse me, because I can never figure out exactly what they're trying to do, aside from make jokes about Leonard calling people "23s". Libby's flashback, at the very end of the episode (which is paired with excellent music), is a different story, and opens up a whole new window on this character-she's a shrink, but was in a mental institution?

The hatch storyline is the money one. Sayid and Ana-Lucia have completely switched their positions on the Henry, or should I say Fenry (Fake Henry) issue. Instead of Ana whipping out the gun and shooting the place up every time she gets angry, it's Sayid who can't handle Fenry's lies and almost kills him. Michael Emerson's performance during that scene is absolutely perfect, with the way he continually has to pull out of his web of lies every time Sayid exposes him. His sheer terror when the gun is pointed at him is also excellent, and the way he half yells/ half sobs "I'm not a bad person!" is great. When he says that he and "Zeke" are nobodies in Other land is cool as well, although he's most likely lying about this. The scenes between Fenry and Locke are great, and really further the deterioration of Locke's faith. Locke's lost the use of one of his legs, which the island granted to him in exchange for his faith. Now, his faith is hanging by a thread, and so is his ability to walk. Fenry furthers the problem by telling Locke that the button that he's been pushing every 108 minutes for the last two weeks is a sham. It's the one thing that Locke has feared, that's been eating at him, and when Fenry says that his fears are true, it hits him hard. Terry O'Quinn's quietly controlled terror and rage during the scene is great, and Michael Emerson's "No, I'm done lying" is the icing on the cake.

The second season of the show thus far has had story problems, and no matter how hard you defend the season you can't say they don't exist. Most of the episodes have problems because of the flashback format. This automatically makes one or two characters the leads in the episode, and coming up with a main story for them can be difficult. Side characters like Charlie, Hurley and Claire, who haven't really had a role in the ongoing plots, suddenly have to sustain an episode, and to be frank, they can't do it. There wasn't a problem in Season 1 because most of the flashbacks were just as important as the island plot, and all of the characters flitted in and out of the ongoing storyline perfectly. Season 2 focuses much more on themes between characters-Kate's doting between Jack and Sawyer, Locke's faith crisis, Charlie's humiliation, and individual relationships between characters. Last season the plot was fairly linear-things were discovered, and all of them were important to what was happening. Here, there is a clear ongoing plot in the hatch, but it really only involves five or six characters, and all the others just have to fit into that. Therefore, this episode, along with many others, doesn't sustain any real meaning when you look at it at the end of the season, because the main story fails, put simply, to do anything.
  • great episode

Hurley starts to see a man who was his friend at the mental institution that he was in. Libby helps Hurley with his mental state. This is a Hurley episode, the flashback centers on his past. At the hatch, the prisoner tells Locke something that makes him question about the things that are happening in the island. This episode centers around Hurley's past life and his friend who appears in front of him on the island. It does something with his uncontrolled eating, it's a good episode, we see more of Hurley's life in the past. It's a good one.
  • This episode was excellent.

This episode is so awesome. Even though at the end Dave is proven to be lying (or is he?) it still leaves the mystery if this island is actually happening. Because all the things about the numbers, Libby liking Hurley, all makes sense. Especially Dave being able to physically touch Hurley. I mean obviously I believe that Hurley is making Dave up and the island is real and everything but it's just so interesting what the thing's Dave says. At the end Hurley should've looked with Libby for Dave's body though lol. It's really sad watching this episode (well actually all episodes with Hurley + Libby scenes) knowing she's dead. Libby's death was the saddest one yet. Ok off topic of the episode "Dave" but whatever. Great episode.
  • Review

This was one of the most centric episodes to date in Lost. Most episodes center around one character for about half of the time, but never all of the time. Hurley was the beginning, middle, and end of this episode it seemed. I thought the episode was interesting, though theres a lot of informaiton that we were given and it turns out that it wasnt real - so im wondering what the producers were trying to make us get out of this episode. I thought the 1-2 hatch scenes were pretty intense, with Sayid hellbent to shoot Henry it would seem and the conversation between Locke and Hentry was pretty cool too. The ending, findind out that Libby was in the Pchyce Ward with hurley was really interesting. It shows that she wants Hurley to change because she was able to. The only thing I can say is that by seasons end I hope we get a Libby flashback story to learn why she was put in there...
  • One hell of a tricky episode, Is lost even real?

We all know about Hugo a.k.a Hurley, we also know that he was in a psych ward, we know about the Lottery, we know about the 'MAGICAL' numbers, and the whole Island. But the one thing that got me thinking, is any of this real? Or is it all in Hurley's mind? If it turns out to be a dream or one of his 'coma dreams' then this would suck big time!

It also turns out that "Henry Gale" is actually one of the "Others". The whole story about the balloon was actually real, but not his. He stole a guy's identity and used it to cover up as being a "survivor".

Lost is just getting more and more revealing in each and every episode.
  • This episode is about Hurly.

This episode is about Hurly. Libby lends a helping hand to Hurley to support him when he begins to think the island is having a strange effect on him. Hurley begins to see Dave (guest-star Evan Handler) on the island, who was his friend in the mental institution Hurley was in. Dave is a person that Hurly's mind made up so Dave was like imaginary. Also, Locke's sense of purpose is shaken when the prisoner gives him new information about the hatch which I think is very suspicious. My favorite part of this episode is when we get to see the flashbacks of Hurly and if you ask me this was a very good episode. This is one of my favorites.
  • This was a very exciting, cinfusing episode,Loved it.

Dave was areally great and mysterios episode.Of course focusing on Hurley we expect it to be quite funny.It wasn't really funny, but it was very very good and interesting.I loved the flashbacks.They told us a lot more about Hurley's character.He still has lots of mysterys to be solved.Anywasy we start of with Libby and Hurley jogging.libby was helping Hurlay get fit and loose some of that weight.I thought that by this stage Hurley and Libby really hit it off.They were going to be great together.Then we see that tons of food has fallen from the sky and after Hurley wasnting to get fit can't stand it.He wants to start eating again.Tis is when he sees Dave.The man we still know nothing about.I thought it was great when we find out that Dave isn't real.Hurley only makles him up.He is there when Hurley wants to eat.The finale was really great when Dave was explaining that this was all his dream.I thought wow.I was very confused and didn't know what to believe.Dave had told Hurlay that he was real and he was back in real life waiting for Hurley to get out of the coma.Dave then jumps from the cliff telling Hurley to do the same thing.It was great when Libby came.She told Hurlwey that it was allreal.She really assured me that Hurlae believed her and wasn't going to jump.Then they shared their first kiss.We then see Hurley back to his old self saying"Can you do that again just to be sure".It ended in a very great mysterius way with Libbys flashback shiowing that she had also been in the same mental hospital as Hurley.This really left me puzzled and annoyed.I was so dissapointed that Libby did not have her flashbacks before she died.we will have to wait until this mystery is resolved.

LOST.
  • Lots of people exaggerate in this part but this was honestly the best episode ever and my all time favorite of lost.

What the hell was that all about?

But wasn't it fantastic! Episode 18 is where last series they turned everything on its head and introduced to us 4 8 15 16 23 42. Now here we are at ep 18 again and oops they did it again.

So Dave, a nutter from Hurleys flashbacks comes and pays Hurley a visit on the island and it turns out that he's not the only nutjob on the island with it revealed that Libby was also in Santa Rosa Mental Health Hospital. Also I'm pretty sure that in the first series they said that Locke's mum was also there in the happy little place, and also of course the numbers are linked to there. And how about when Dave was saying about Libby and, really, it all made sence!

OMG I LOVE THIS EPISODE!
  • This Episode blew me away it is so riviting and leaves you saying WoW dude. Is it Live or is it Memorex!! My whole way of looking at this show changed with this episode, in that now I am constantly wondering: what if This is Reality and not the rest.

This episode really took the show to a new level of intensity and leaves you asking What? no way ? and especially the ending when they show Libby in the Psch ward getting her pills. Although I have to say the more I watch the show the more I feel that the whole show can't be just in Hugo's head, heck why would he kill off his girlfriend :) hehe but it is a very fascinating twist on the show and it amazing how they come up with such twists and turns in it and blow you away with suprises.
  • One of my favorites.

Wow. This episode was very interesting. I loved it. Definitely one of my favorite.

I knew Hurley wouldn't let me down. His flashbacks were once again brilliant. The big twist is something that if you don't read spoilers well.. it definitely will blow your head off. I can tell, It did blow mine. On this island, as Hurley sees his 'friend', he starts believeing that he is only imaging the whole thing. And nothing's obvious. What if..? But no... but if... And at the end, when you think, it's all done, the writers throw in a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger that was absolutely unexcepted.
  • A psycho-thrilling episode, made in a way to shock you. Hurley faces the big question - the main question of the serial - what is the island, what\'s the truth. The best episode so far.

Not a long time ago, when I was mistaken and started to watch this episode instead of Lockdown, I instantly started to hate it because of the so badass scene when Hurley destroys the junkfood, and he's t-shirt is still clean, and Libby gives him a lot of mayonnase with a romantic-like smile, and there is music, and we see the fat man starting his new life in a really amateur scene. I mean oh man get rid of it, im not interested. But now when I saw it again, a changed my mind - what's more, I think that if we can watch the first 10 minutes, we will realise that this is one of the best episodes in the series. The plot is clever written, and it's just shocking to see ur favorite characters perish in a fool's hallucination - all your past 2 years, ur 43*44 minutes spent watching Lost was a long con, (and this time not sawyer's :-)) - the writers were really brave this time, and I appreciate it. Of course there are big problems with this episode - when we see Locke and the other characters in the hatch, we cannot believe what so called Dave is telling Hurley - this scene could have been better, I think. How nice it would have been if the writers would be real dudes and made the whole episode destroy the whole universe of Lost. I mean they could have told us that this Dave episode was a long cun only in the NEXT episode - this episode could have been a classic in the history of movie-making - just imagine it - the writers confess that they lied to the public - and later they confess that the confession was a lie too. It would have been astonishing. Anyway this is the most provocating, and most exciting episode in the whole season, and I was shocked for half an hour when I was watching it. I don't like Hurley - and that's why I think this episode was based on a really fine idea - what if Locke, Jack, Kate, and everybody was just a joke - a dream in a loser's mind. And the last flashback - oh man, it's the crown of it!

(And the whole scene with Dave and the cliff when he tells Hurley to jump down and to wake up and when Libby appears is a huge allusion to the final scene of one of my favorite films, Open your eyes - a film directed by Amenabar - the whole episode is a tribute to him - you can call it showing respect or you can say they stole each and every idea of this episode from Open your eyes. Most of you will recognise my idea if I say Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz and Penelope Cruz - it's a remix of Open your Eyes (and Open your Eyes is a lot better of course) - you should watch it - it will be familiar after Dave, i bet.)

This episode is a must see! LOST
  • Dave!!!

I loved this episode, it had all the elements to a great episode; a good story on the beach, good character development, and a goof flashback (manditory for a great episode).

I loved the suspense in this episode and the plot twist from who the hell is this guy, to o okay that's who that guy is, to so why's he here, to o he doesn't exsist.

A Hurley episode is impossible to hate with no exception (with exception to Everbody Hates Hugo:P). I loved the connection between Libby and Hurley too. And who could forget the Sawyer takle.

Dr. Brooks: Dave isn't your friend Hugo... because Dave doesn't exsist.

LOST
  • One of the True Diamonds of the Season

This was one of my favorite episodes of the season. Not only did we learn why Hurley was in Santa Rosa, but it brought up an important question about reality, and how we define it(the five senses). As far a Hurley knew, Dave was real, because he could hear him, see him, and feel him. This is with in the rules of reality, so in a sense, Dave was real. The idea that it is all just a fantasy of someone(not necessarily Hurley) is a bad idea for the show though, as it would be the hugest letdown. Seeing the way dave ran through the jungle made me think of Puck the trickster, with his impish grin.

I hope there are more episodes like this.
< 1 2 3 4 5