Lost

Dave

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 05, 2006 on ABC

• A really enjoyable episode with a few big shocks along the way.

Tonight's episode of Lost was centered around the lovable Hurley. On the island, we get to see his battle with madness as he confronts his old friend "Dave", and in the flashbacks we get to see how Dave and Hurley first came to be friends.

The events on the island with Hurley are the usual Hurley episode mix of feeling sorry for Hurley and plenty of jokes and fun. The formula isn't old at all, and the episode is really enjoyable, even though some may be angry that we aren't getting a significant main story line advancement.

Or are we? At the end of the episode, we get "Henry Gale's" latest mind game, and a new question forms that will undoubtably fill the Lost message boards for weeks to come - did he really push the button? The episode also gives us another major revelation at the very end, and it's one that I didn't see coming the way it did.

Although this episode didn't advance the story as much as say Lockdown did, it's a welcome break from the fast pace and gives us another great (and funny) episode that Hurley is known for. Now the painful wait begins again for next week.

(Don't forget to check out www.theislandoflost.com for all the latest Lost information)
  • good

7.9
    it was a pretty good episode. i was so proud of hurley when he closed the window on dave in the beginning. was 'henry' telling the truth? i highly doubt it but i want them to stop pressing the button because it is so annoying. i guess the lockdown was s o that the food drop could occur. can't wait til next week!!!
  • Who is going crazy and who is sane? Or is the island just making everyone crazy? Hurley explores these questions while Locke discovers more about the hatch.

This was a really well developed episode. The writers kept me guessing on the state of Hugo's condition while frightening me with a possible eBob Newhart type episode. I really thought it possible for a moment that it all could be just Hurley's dream, I mean all the coincidences fit, but luckily we still have at least ten episodes left this season and the writers are not that trite.

I'm glad we finally were able to learn a bit more about Hurley's past. I mean we mostly knew what was coming, but it was really well played out. Evan Handler was absolutly wonderful. I know he was on West Wing a couple years back and did a great job there as well, so it was lovely to see him again.

As for Locke and "Henry Gale" I'm glad Locke will soon question his faith in the island. Hopefully he'll be able to compromise with Jack more, now that he finding so many flaws in the islands mystical powers. And then there was the final twist. Libby in the mental institution. That was brilliant. I was waiting for them to turn around and see Libby working there, but they sure threw me for a loop having her as a patient. I am anxiously awaiting her centric episode, as well as next weeks. Way to once again keep me on the edge of my seat Lost creators.
  • Such an amazing episode. They trow us more hints, actually furthur the plot and Libby, oh my god!

I have to finally write a review. After following this site. This episode was well written, totally satisfying. More hints, more questioning of reality and what reality might be. Can Eko be building a Church? He crossed himself when he took water. Libby, i really believed she was a psycologist. Didn't see the patient thing coming. Can she be dangerous, could she have contributed to some of the taily's dealths? But the absolute best was when Hurly has a smack down with Sawyer! Go Hurly!
  • Very good Episode

This episode of Lost was probably one of the best episodes of the series. This episode had many surprises in it including, Dave. Hurleys friend was not real and Libby had been a patient at the mental hospital that Hugo was at. Those to parts were to me the most surprising thing this whole season. Overall this episode is a classic.
  • Amazing!!

The begining of this episode was funny with the Mental guys playing basketball, I realized all of the problems they have. Then when the psyciatrist took the infamouse picture out I realized the problems Hurley had too...I all it was a pretty slow but great episode!I liked how it didn't just stay on ONE PERSON like Fire+Water, and how you kind of saw things from the Henry problem.I like when Henry said..."That fool means nothing!" (something or other) talkin about the bearded guy that we thought was the leader. I almost missed the end with Libby, my phone rings *sigh*
  • More mysteries...

This episode was good. We can have many ideas (maybe not the solution!!) on what is going on now. Libby was insane with Hurley and she refinds him on the island... is this luck or not??

I would have wanted to see more Henry Gale on this episode, they should have push him more, because of this I'm so anxious for next week, I want to know more about the others and something tells me that we'll never know what they are doing there... I hope I'm wrong.

P.S We saw Sawyer in action again, that was really funny.
  • Hurley is such a great character!!!

This episode is mostly about Hurley. He has such a great sense of humor too. This one really got into his head, literally. It left us with even more questions. The conversation with Dave in the jungle really makes you question things! I knew there was something with Libby from the moment Hurley told her she looked familiar--I thought she worked at the hospital Hurley where Hurley was a patient--not, she was a patient to! Didn't see that coming... And, the look on her face as she and Hurley walk away from the cliff is disturbing to say the least. I can't wait to see her back story. Hurley and sawyer get into a fight. Every time Hurley hits him he yells out one of the names Sawyer has called him...it was great all while Jin is grinning ear to ear-before he helps to pull Hurley off of him-very funny!

Henry Gale has some interesting things to say in this episode. I wanted to hear more! Sayid almost shoots him. So did he or didn't he push the button? He tries to convince Locke that he did nothing but, saw some strange things happen when the alarms stopped. He also made an interesting comment about God not seeing the island like the rest of the world can't... And, who is the "He" he is referring to when talking to Sayid and Anna Lucia? The devil? This episode makes the viewer question everything they have seen to this point as being real or not.

It seems that a number of people on the island have an "imaginary friend" of their own since being stranded there. The subconscious level of the survivors has something to do with what is going on. Maybe the magnet force near the hatch has some effect on the brain and is causing some of them to see things from their subconscious-maybe that is why the island is invisible to some as well--like an invisible force field...I am grasping here can you tell?

Either way this was an interesting episode that leaves the viewer glued to their TV, TIVO and VCR playback!

• Another example of the formulaic season 2.

So here we have another character episode. In itself a decent enough storyline, from the always entertaining Jorge Garcia.

So what's the problem?

In case anyone hasn't noticed, this is further proof of the writers trying to pad out this season. Whenever an episode builds momentum to a dramatic point in the storyline, 9 times out of 10 the following week will bounce off on some irrelevant tangent and treat the previous important episode as background filler.

This episode would have been great mid-season but follows on from some of the most important revelations of the season and where it should have been building on that, instead stops your curiosity dead in it's tracks with barely 5 minutes of screen time.

This has happened continuously this season. One week the episode will finish on a potentially huge plot device and the next week it will be barely a b-story. The week after it will be back upfront again and finish on a nother dramtic cliffhanger. The week after that ... well, just start this paragraph again.

As we approach the end of this season I'm still asking myself "what are they attempting to do? Where are the characters going?" The first season had solid goals that pushed the story along all season - build a raft and open the hatch.

This season has nothing driving the characters. The potential army has fizzled, the investigation of the medical bunker ignored, attempting to escape has vanished, nobody is bothered about Michael (and the audience doesn't remember him anyway), the monster is a background curio, the hatch is basically a storeroom bereft of any further investigation, the mystery of the computer has been relegated to a button pushing ritual, the map ... well we could talk about that but as usual the writer's skipped it this week.

No doubt the majority of TV.com viewers will rate this episode a 10 purely because Hurley is in it. But ask yourself this question - what did you want to learn more about this episode? The map and the mysterious Henry Gale, or that Hurley has an imaginary friend?
  • Hmmm...

Well this was an interesting episode. Somehow the ending surprised me in the fact that it didn't surprise me, though. For some reason it seemed obvious that Dave wasn't real from the beginning, and I thought we were all supposed to see that, and somehow the twist would be that he WAS real, or something... I don't know. That's not my point, I guess. Of course there was the other surprise in that Libby was a patient in the same asylum. That one, I did NOT see coming.

Nevertheless, even though the revelation didn't work for me this week (I guess it can't all the time), I found it a very cool episode despite that. More of Hurley's back story is revealed, and I enjoyed watching it. I can certainly see how some viewers would judge this episode as more "padding," or a cheap sidestep to last week's episode, but I think some people might be overlooking the clever thing the writer's did with this one:

You know how a lot of hyped TV shows or shows with big changes in the past seemed to cop out in the final episodes with the old, "It was just a dream!" ending? Well I think that's what the writer's were addressing with tonight's episode. They play with you through Dave, making you think it might all be someone's imagination. They taunt that old stereotyped ending, yet they do it in such a way as to just address it and show the audience that this will NOT be the case with Lost. I think some might have feared such a finale, that it was all just an illusion, and would have therefore become one of the most hated shows in history. Ha ha. But I take this episode as personal assurance from the writers that they won't be pulling that kind of crap on us in the final episode, since they are bringing it to the forefront now. Good!

Well, anyway. I liked this episode... but then, I pretty much like all of them.
  • Completly fogettable

4.6
    A total waste of an ep. nothing happend. Hurley's flashback was so lame, the reason he was in the institution was lame. the only good part of the ep. was when Locke talked to "henry". the Libby angle was so predictable, they have been hinting at it for weeks. Boring!
  • A long awaited serious-toned Hurley episode...

When I saw trailers for this ep last week, i was concerned that something would happen to Hurley. Thus far, he had always been the source of comedic relief in an otherwise twisting and often deadly serious story.

We finally get to a look into Hurley's deeper past. And we learn he wasn't always happy-go-lucky. Though the twist with Dave was pretty predictable, it provided for some excellent mystery. Why did he need Dave? Why was he in the asylum? The answers gave Hurley a new dimension beyond the loveable fat guy.

And thank God for the relationship between Hurley and Libby, finally a TV couple that's not a bunch of "pretty" faces. Though her look at the end as they walk away seemed rather suspicious.

But perhaps there's a reason for this. The mystery behind Dave served as a cover for another bigger surprise, one which I will say is definately worth not spoiling here.

On a side note, there's a great scene between Henry and Locke. With last week's revelation, can anything he say be trusted? What is he really doing there? The show this season has done an excellent job of fleshing out old mysteries while giving us new ones to muddle over.
  • Hurley-centric.

Rivals "Walkabout" as one of the best. Several important reveals (in the non-technical sense), a few good twists with just enough foreshadowing to make you feel smart if you "get it" beforehand(not pandered to, like with "The Long Con"), and some fine acting - especially "Henry", who has been a riveting delight throughout his tenure. Oh, and even a classic LOST tear-coaxer in the opening food frenzy bit. And what great use of past information - the writers and producers must have really enjoyed envisioning and anticipating this episode for quite some time. Extremely satisfying -- thanks, TeamLOST!
  • Dave

I liked this episode alot for a few reasons. I like how they had a One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest thing going in the mental hospital with Dave being the McMurphy, i was half expecting Hurley to throw something through the window. I was a little suprised as to why Henry, or whatever his name is, didnt make more of an effort to prove he wasn an 'other' and say he was traveling with the real Henry, but who knows what is up with him. We'll probably find out next week.

Maybe next week brings back Michael and/or Walt.
  • not bad

It was really selfish of Hurley to steal the food in the first place, but then he adds insult to injury by throwing it out all over the ground??
    So who else thinks eko is building a church?
    I really could have cared less if they killed hurley off tonight. In a fair fight, Sawyer would have kicked hurley's ass.
    I don't think they were trying to hide the fact that Dave was invisible. Or maybe it was a red herring to make it more of a surprise when it was revealed that Libby was a patient, not a therapist. But then again, she may be a therapist who went nuts.
  • We learn more about Hurley's past, and we get more info out of "Henry Gail".

Hurley reveals to Libby that he has been hoarding food.
    Hurley begins to see a man named Dave, his imaginary friend from when he was in a mental hospital. Dave tries to get Hurley to believe that he is dreaming and that is he jumps off a cliff he will wake up.

Libby catches up to Hurley before he can jump and convinced him that he is not dreaming.

We learn that Libby was in the same mental hospital as Hurley.

The man who said he was Henry Gail has still not given us his real name.
    He tells Locke that he never entered the code and pressed the button, and even though he didn't the clock still went back to 108.
  • Hurley opens up to Libby and she tries to help him through his problems when he sees his "friend Dave" on the island. Locke's begins to have doubts about the island's powers when the prisoner tells him new information about the hatch and it's numbers.

This episode was a let-down after last weeks "Lockdown" episode. Lots of Hurley information including flashbacks. Hurley finely starts to open up to Libby. He tells her about his hidden stash of food and together they destroy it. This made Hurley feel good about his choice until moments later it is revealed that another shipment of food had arrived.

Locke is told by the prisoner (I refuse to call him Henry Gale) that after climbing through the air duct he had let the counter run all the way down. He claimed that nothing happened other than some symbols that looked like hieroglyphics cam up and the numbers reset themselves to 108. he also said there were some strange noises. Locke didn't believe him and called him a liar. the prisoner said "No, I'm done with lying." Locke doesn’t know what to think or who to believe anymore.

Back to Hurley and the nut house he was in. You see once again that his friend Dave is not real. You also see that his new found friend Libby is in the same hospital as him.

I am still convinced that all of the flashback episodes are implanted memories and not real ones. I don't think there was a plane crash and that all of the people are connected because they were only give memories of people and things on the island. That is the reason that Kate's black horse was in her memory from the United States and on the island. The horse indeed is on the island and the DHARMA initiative decided to use it in Kate's memory.

All-in-all an ok episode. Mainly just a filler until may sweeps come and the big Finale. Was hoping for more from the prisoner, at least his real first name. I truly was hoping that Sayid would have taught him a few more lessons.
  • Dave(HURLEY-CENTRIC)

I think it was a revealing episode for Hurley. I like Hurley I hope that Libby isn\'t out to get him or something. He seems to have some problems. Maybe while she was in she became obsessed with him and started following him around. thats why they were both on the same plane.
    anyway those are my thoughts.
  • Not sure why everyone seems to think that this was a filler episode. I found it full of information, and revalation.

As I said, I\'m not sure why everybody seems to think that this episode was a filler episode. To me, what the writers are doing is giving information that they want to give, and doing it in such a fashion that they get to keep us in suspense between \'Lockdown\', and the \'Dave\', and the next episode, \'S.O.S.\'. It makes us all want to see the show more, and makes us watch \'Dave\' in case there is going to be important information in it, before getting to \'S.O.S.\' which will most likely be a \"continuation\" of \'Lockdown\'. I believe that it\'s meant to do those two things, as well as make sure that we all watch it, so that the story keeps growing with the characters, as well as the plot, instead of levelling off with only the characters which we already have backstories for. I mean, don\'t we all want to learn all about all of the characters? It may help us figure out more of the secrets as to why they were all brought there.

My guess is that no episode or information that we see/we\'re given is without a reason. We just can\'t put it all together just yet. So my advice to everyone that thinks it was just a filler episode is, be patient. I fully concede that I may be wrong, but I don\'t believe so. And either way, we won\'t know until we\'ve seen everything, as to if it was important or not.

Regardless, I think this episode was very good, and interesting, and very well done, just as every episode is.

I was a big fan of finding out the exact truth about \"Henry Gale\", although IMO it was easily predictable. And I thoroughly enjoyed Hurley\'s story and backstory throughout this episode. I agree that it was fairly easy to predict that \"Dave\" was a figment, but still, the storyline was very interesting, and I enjoyed watching Hurley conquor him the first time by having him go out the window, but not follow him. And I believe that he has conquored him once again (at least for now), when he let him jump/fall off the cliff into the sea.

The only two things that TOTALLY threw me, were that Libby was a patient in the institution with him. I didn\'t think that she was going to be his doctor, b/c they showed what\'s his name from X-Men as his doctor, but I didn\'t think she would have been a patient.

She had said that she was in medical school for a year or so before she dropped out. Maybe something happened to her at medical school, that she just couldn\'t handle, and she just needed to recuperate for a while, and that\'s why she was in there. And sometime afterwards, she became a psychologist.

From a lot of what I understand, people that have had a lot of problems in their past tend, more than people who have not, to become psychologists, so this could help corroborate this theory.

These are my thoughts on the whole thing. Now... back to work.
  • Overall, this episode was another strong character piece, delving into one of the questions that had long been left unanswered. This episode continues to complicate one’s conception of what is happening on the island.

Ever since the beginning of the series, Hurley has been more or less cast as the “comic relief”. Even when he has a serious point to make, there’s the underlying humor in the way he says things and approaches the “social” exercise. Lately, his story has been walking a very fine line. Many viewers wanted to understand why his overwhelming desire to eat food was being mined for laughs, and it was getting old. Sure enough, this episode takes a lot of assumptions about Hurley and tosses them aside.

The funny thing is, this little twist isn’t so much of a twist as a revelation hiding in plain sight. Hurley has always been a little off. His reactions to some things, like the “numbers” and the food situation, have often been extreme. It’s easy to forget that he almost set off dynamite in the hatch, or that he went off on a wacky quest to find Danielle when he discovered that she knew the “numbers”. Frankly, Hurley has never been the poster boy for mental health, so this episode’s events are consistent with what has been revealed to date.

That doesn’t make it any easier to watch. Hurley has become such the lovable teddy bear on the island that any blow to his psyche is like a gut punch to the audience. At the same time, there was no better way to explain to the audience why Hurley was in that institution. And now his voracious appetite makes a bit more sense. It’s not that the fat dude can’t control his eating; it’s that the fat dude got fat because he has psychological issues that push him to eat.

It’s not entirely clear what his psychosis might be; there’s a few different conditions that could fit the bill. Hallucinations, for instance, suggest a form of schizophrenia, but there are several different conditions that tie similar “delusions” to coping mechanisms like overeating. Ultimately, Hurley knows that he shouldn’t be eating so much or so compulsively, so he embodies that desire in the form of “Dave”, who conveniently also takes the form of someone who Hurley believes he killed.

Without more information, it’s hard to draw conclusions. In nearly every other respect, Hurley appears to be “normal”. But tying this particular situation into a larger perspective explains much about his conclusions regarding the “numbers”. Hurley’s psychological condition (whatever it might specifically be) drives him to take his anxieties and give them an external source. So his anxiety over guilt turns into a friend who pushes him to find comfort in food, and his anxiety over the “numbers” turns into a “curse” carried by the numbers themselves. (And he even refers to the “numbers” as though they are self-aware and acting on their own.)

The writers manage to tell Hurley’s tale on two levels. From one point of view, Hurley’s story is rather straightforward. When he didn’t have a source of food to fuel his psychosis, he was doing a lot better. Once that food came along, it was a downhill struggle to this point. Libby is there to help him, quite possibly because she understands his situation based on her own experience. Libby, in turn, could replace food as a source of comfort.

This is an interesting parallel to Charlie’s situation. Charlie was an addict who tried to give up his vice and turned to Claire and Aaron to fill the psychological void. Unfortunately for Charlie, he assumed that Claire was just fine with the idea. In this case, Libby is fulfilling much the same role for Hurley, but it appears to be a lot more voluntary. If nothing else, it could lead to some interesting tensions between Charlie and Hurley, should this prove to be genuine.

Of course, the end of the episode brings up a few compelling questions about Libby. Just what are her motivations? It’s possible that she was, in fact, a patient at the institute with her own psychological issues. If so, her relationship with Hurley could be fueling whatever psychosis she’s been hiding. But there’s a far more disturbing possibility, which could be even more damaging to Hurley in the end.

There’s a growing body of evidence that Dharma in an active international group with the ability to ensure that certain individuals are on a particular plane at a particular time and date. Whatever the Dharma Initiative might be up to, there’s the strong suggestion that they were looking for individuals with a variety of psychological issues for their project. So why wouldn’t Dharma have agents (for lack of a better word) seeded in particular places where these psychological types could be found for evaluation? It may be reaching for a deeper interpretation, but if Libby is trained in psychology as she claims, she would be in the perfect position to fake a condition and deal with the effects of medication.

It’s also possible, based on some hints and innuendo from “Henry”, that there’s something about the Dharma food. It’s not the first time this particular idea has come into the picture, but since Hurley’s condition is tied directly to food consumption, why not question the main source of foodstuffs on the island? There’s not enough information to draw any specific conclusions, but it’s one possible source of mind-altering substances.

Interestingly, Hurley’s condition leads him to do exactly what Eko warned Locke to avoid: mistaking coincidence for fate. Instead of taking responsibility for his own actions, assumptions, and fears, Hurley points to some external agent or “curse” as the source of everything bad. Locke hasn’t been all that different in his interpretations about the island, and in a way, Hurley’s reaction in this episode says a lot about where Locke’s psychological issues could go.

“Henry” has certainly noticed that side of Locke’s personality. If “Henry” is at all aware of the contents of the hatch, then he probably knows exactly what Locke saw at the end of the lockdown. And he must know that Locke tends to apply a sense of destiny to whatever he finds on the island. In essence, “Henry” cuts right into the heart of everything that Locke needs to believe by saying that the hatch and its contents are nothing more than a game.

In fact, that might be true, since the strong suggestion is that Dharma contrived much of what is on the island. But it’s just as possible that “Henry” wants Locke to believe that it ends there, that it’s all part of some massive psychological study. But if one accepts his comments to Sayid and Ana as genuine, especially the fear, “Henry” may be trying to hide the fact that Dharma’s activities on the island are a lot more complex than an elaborate psychological experiment.

Whatever the case, the question of what happens when the countdown reaches “0” is now even more complex. The fact that “Henry” claims that nothing happened is basically enough evidence to suggest that something would happen, because he’s such a master manipulator. But why tempt Locke to allow the countdown to lapse? The possibility is that the countdown and everything related to it may be completely unrelated to the true goals of the Dharma Initiative.

After all, the hatch and its systems were never designed to be handled by a group as large as the JackLocke tribe. Even accounting for the fact that a handful of people are designated to watch over the hatch and keep entering the code, it’s more than originally intended, if the “orientation” film is to be believed. So it should always be remembered, when thinking of the countdown, that the maximum occupancy for the hatch was meant to be “2”.

It’s also interesting to note that the Others, who are now tied to the Dharma Initiative, haven’t said a thing about the code and the countdown. If it was something so critical, why would the Others allow the JackLocke tribe to be in control of it? Two possibilities come to mind. Either the countdown’s purpose is no longer valid, since the conditions have changed, or the Others want the consequence of a missed countdown to take place.

It all comes down to the fact that everything “Henry” says or suggests must be taken with a mountain of salt, and it’s the difference in how much his words are trusted that generates more and more conflict. That said, it’s quite possible that the reference to “Him” is completely genuine, and there’s a reason not to cross the person in charge of this entire project. If it was genuine, it’s a good bet that “He” is Alvar Hanso. (If anything, the question is whether Hanso has already appeared on-screen.)

What’s brilliant about this episode is that there’s ambiguity in terms of what Hurley did or did not see. Most of the evidence does suggest that it’s all in his head, at least where “Dave” is concerned, but that’s not necessarily the case. After all, Jack and others saw people who were supposed to be dead or, at least, not on the island. It all comes down to where Hurley’s psychosis ends and Dharma’s intentions begin.

Sawyer’s role in this episode was quite interesting. For one thing, he continues to push for some degree of control over trade in goods on the island, which is interesting in light of his struggle with Jack in the previous episode. But the best Sawyer moment had to be his tussle with Hurley. It figures that the one person who would take Sawyer down is the last person anyone expected to go on the attack! Jin’s reaction alone was priceless.

It was a little bit of a risk to follow an episode with a major reveal with a more stand-alone character-based hour, but the writing has become a lot more consistent in the second half of the season and the effect is not as jarring as the last time a Hurley episode followed a Locke episode. In fact, it feels like the series has returned to the level of quality evident during this stretch of the first season, which is a great place to begin the final leg of the season arc.
  • This episode attempts to be a mislead, but fails to leave that impression. Turns out the island's funny guy has some big mental problems.

Lost fans' popular theories have been: they're all crazy or the whole island is just somebody's dream. However the producers vigorously denied it every chance they got. Now it seems that they are attempting to actually use this kind of theory as if to mess with the viewers' heads. But it is obviously a trick.

The ending where Libby kissed Hurley was exaggerated, she was doing it out of pitty, just so he doesn't commmit suicide, it felt pathetic.

Libby was mentioned to be a psychiatrist. This got me thinking that her being in the mental institution was some kind of research for her work, like to infiltrate the real atmosphere in order to get knowledge.

The preformance of Dave was awsome, it was so hilarious, oh yeah not to even mention Hurley..

Overall great, felt kinda fresh, a bit of a setback from the important problems, we dindn't get much out of Henry either. But somethin should be happening soon..
  • Lost, lost, lost. It seems like the writers really lost it with this episode. It's just not up to the season 1 standards.

6.3
    Oh joy! Another episode with more questions asked then answered. This is really starting to turn into a trend with lost. Every episode ends with a bit of a cliff-hanger, promising an exciting follow up but then falling flat. This new episode felt mostly like a filler, Hurley is fat, he has hallucinations and so on. I don’t care, I want to know what goes on on the island!

In the full 40 or so minutes of this episode maybe 5 had something exciting in them. Hurley throws away his “stash”, and then five minutes later he’s stuffing his mouth full of crackers. He sees some guy in the forest, like pretty much everyone else already has. And it all ends up with no major effect at all to the main plot.

I really enjoyed the first season of lost but as this second season goes on I feel more and more like I might just take a break for some 5 episodes since I won’t really miss anything. The writing is really falling apart and it feels like they are just trying to make us believe we get to know something when in fact the story hasn’t move forward since the start of season 2.
  • wow ... now I am really confused as to where the show is going. I guess all those people are hocked up to some virtual reality machine but this is only speculation.

Ok granted that the show was really going nowhere for a while this episode was totally unexpected for me. The one before this one looked like it was going to go in a compleately different direction with the hidden map on the wall and food dropping from the sky. By this is totally new stuff. Lost is almost starting to look like a sci-fi show. Granted that I like the gentre, I can\'t say that I\'m complaining but man talk about some u-turns. Other than the main idea of Hurley and Libby being in some mental hospital the episode is pretty uneventful ( typical for Lost ). My theory right now is that all the main characters in Lost are in some virtual reality that is somehow created by their collective subconsciousness. But this is just a wild guess and no I do not have any inside information ...
  • This was a very typical Lost episode, but lets keep in mind that Lost is typically great and this episode was no exception. And I'm more convinced now than ever that Libby is an OTHER.

Good episode. Since most everyone else here has done a recap, I'll skip this part and just talk about interesting things in the episode.

Sayid is losing it and needs to come to grips with Shannon's death, possibly by helping built that army. Speaking of which, what ever happened to Jack's army? Could that have something to do with what Eko is building?

And what is Eko building that he doesn't want to tell Charlie about? I think it is a chapel, or alter or some kind of church-related worship area and that is why he has invited Charlie to help him build it. Charlie will find redemption by helping to sheppard the teaching of God. Since I'm not a religious person, I'll just chalk this possibility up to character-development.

Hurley was, as we all know, the primary focus of this. It was great to see him lose it on Sawyer the bully and whale on Sawyer by calling out all the names he's been called. Sawyer deserved that and I loved Jin's hesitation in breaking up the fight, since Jin knows that Sawyer had it coming. I am also intrigued by the whole "this island is in your mind" allusion, since it iseems as if the writers are putting that out there now as a reaction to some of the theories that fans have reported. I believe this is there way of saying "no, this isn't all a dream."

I must say that Evan Handler was great as Dave and I hope he appears again.

Jack seems to be back in control and I wish we had seen him telling everyone about Henry. Ana is right, a lot of people are going to have a lot of questions for the man who claims to be Henry. I have a lot of questions for him too but I'm not disapointed that the show didn't tell answer them. It is worth saying that if you, as a viewer, don't have the patience to be strung along then you're not really a Lost fan. This show is about small steps, character-episodes and an overarching mystery that is meant to remain a mystery. If you honestly expected big answers then your probably watching the wrong show for you, that that is an aside. Questions I have for "Henry" include: do you know about the map? Just how long have you been on the island? Did they know about this hatch too? What other kind of experiments are they running on the island? Are the survivors of flight 815 here by coincidence or fate?

Locke had his faith shattered by the truth that the numbers don't do anything. Locke does know, however, that the map exists. And I am willing to bed that who ever said that the lockdown took place in order to keep who ever mans the hatch inside while an airdrop brings more food was right. It was a distraction. But where did the food come from? And why?

And finally, I am very certain that Libby is an undercover other. I've felt this for a while. I have always thought that she was the woman on the boat that was behind Mr. Friendly when they kidnapped Walt. There are some inconsistencies in my story, obviously, like how did she get on the boat when her crew was treking and discovering Boone's radio call, etc... But the fact that she claims to be a psychologist and was in the mental insitution makes me believe that she was undercover then and is undercover now. But if my theory is wrong, then I want to know more about her backstory and obsession/pity with Hurley.

The ending was awesome and I am looking forward to learning about Rose and Bernard next time the show airs a new episode.

• Wow confusing really confusing. I like it.

Guys I do not believe. Finally we'll have to do some thinking. When I watched season 1 I knew the real intent of this show is to make the spectator think, think and try to solve this island on his own. Now this thinkig has been stady for quite some time now. But this episode made my grey cells bounce. I am now really confused, I don't know what is going on and I can't connect the facts. For now. I'll just have to continue watching and hope I figure it out. Even now when I am writing this I am thinking: "what is the connection, how can it be possible"
    Anyway an exciting episode. I don't know for you guys, but I'll watch it carefuly and try to solve the big puzzle.
  • Hmm, love Lost but a very familar episode.

4.9
    While I love Lost and have loved all the shows this season, this one was so unoriginal. The writers should watch their back, I knew exactly what was going to happen with this episode and Hurley\'s backstory and the only reason, it was very familiar to an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy wakes up in a mental institution with her dead mother trying to convince her that her mental disease makes her think she is not a slayer. Her shrink (demon) trying to convince her if she just kills herself, she will wake up from this nightmare and her life a slayer will be over because it was never real in the first place. Writers check your back. My sister freaked out how I knew it was going to end. Of course I did I saw the same format a few years ago.
  • At last

This episode marks the return for my enjoyment of this series. I was hooked from the start since i find Hurleys character to be one of the most intriguing. What a wonderfull episode and a super nice twist at the end.

Lets hope for this trend to continue.

10/10
  • confusing but strangely familiar

I found this episode to be intriguing, confusing and strangely familiar. The Hurley-centric(?) plot although not as well written as other episodes was extremely fansinating and fast paced.
    Other LOST fans have cited the Buffy physco-ward scene as the basis of this episode but I find the season finality of St. Elsewhere a better example (the entire St. Elsewhere series was only in the head of the austic son).
    The Libby scene at the end was truely unexpected and WOW. AND do you just hate the fake Henry or what?
  • Hurley-centric episode revealing Hurley's mental state and that he can kick Sawyer's ass. Also continueing the "Henry" part - what happened during lockdown and mentions certain things how nobody, not even God, can see the island.... Libby flashback at en

I thought this was a great episode. From start to finish I was wondering what on "Earth" was going on..? Especially as Dave was explaining how it was all in Hurley's mind - He was soo believable!

Then how the other "Henry" told Locke that he in fact did nothing to the computer in the hatch, and that "God doesn't know how long we've been here." This is was pretty big to me as I have heard a lot of rumours about how the Island is Limbo and spraff like that... But that one comment really did made me think. Henry also stated that he did not enter the numbers into the computer nor press 'Execute'. These statements leave us with a load of questions that we can only hope will be answered soon!!!

Also, how at the end that Hurley and Libby got together (Aww!), and then the final flashback was very revealing. As Hurley said "Do I know you from somewhere?" The flashback shows us that they really do, sort of, know each other - Libby was a patient and the hospital (But she has stated before that she is also a nurse/doctor/psyciatrist person???).

Overall, this episode was darn good. I just can't wait until episode 2.19!!!!
  • This epsiode ties in with "white rabbit" But makes it much better. Was I just making up how great this epiosde was!!

Great Epsiode better then Last weeks.

Dave was not there even in the flashbacks!

Analucia did not do a good thing by stopping sayid.

Well I still dont belive Henry but maybe the others thought the same thing as Locke does and keep pushing the botton for know reason.

Hurly destroying his stash was great like Charlie, but Charlie dosnt punish himself byt doing drugs.

The fact that the food landed right when Hurly destroyed the food made me flinch and Libby allmost looked like she was going to puke.

The Treory of its all a dream came to a real high this episode and I loved it. It all made sence In some ways but I knew they wouldnt kill Hurly I mean Its Hurly, But what I was not expecting was Libby to be a Mentel Patient though out the whole epsiode I thought she might show up in a nurse suit but No she shows up in rags. The writers are able to mkae twists even in Flashbacks I really enjoyed it The Kiss between Hurly and Libby the fight between Huly and Sawer and Jin stepping in was priceless.

The one thing I did not like that the writers just seemed to thow in the mix was when Hurly asked about the slipper And when Libby said it was insulting that she might be makebelive sure it showed Libby had class but not the right place.

Looks like someone cares about Walt in the next episode well Ill be back.
< 1 2 3 4 5