Lost

Dave

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 05, 2006 on ABC

• Overall, this episode was another strong character piece, delving into one of the questions that had long been left unanswered. This episode continues to complicate one’s conception of what is happening on the island.

Ever since the beginning of the series, Hurley has been more or less cast as the “comic relief”. Even when he has a serious point to make, there’s the underlying humor in the way he says things and approaches the “social” exercise. Lately, his story has been walking a very fine line. Many viewers wanted to understand why his overwhelming desire to eat food was being mined for laughs, and it was getting old. Sure enough, this episode takes a lot of assumptions about Hurley and tosses them aside.

The funny thing is, this little twist isn’t so much of a twist as a revelation hiding in plain sight. Hurley has always been a little off. His reactions to some things, like the “numbers” and the food situation, have often been extreme. It’s easy to forget that he almost set off dynamite in the hatch, or that he went off on a wacky quest to find Danielle when he discovered that she knew the “numbers”. Frankly, Hurley has never been the poster boy for mental health, so this episode’s events are consistent with what has been revealed to date.

That doesn’t make it any easier to watch. Hurley has become such the lovable teddy bear on the island that any blow to his psyche is like a gut punch to the audience. At the same time, there was no better way to explain to the audience why Hurley was in that institution. And now his voracious appetite makes a bit more sense. It’s not that the fat dude can’t control his eating; it’s that the fat dude got fat because he has psychological issues that push him to eat.

It’s not entirely clear what his psychosis might be; there’s a few different conditions that could fit the bill. Hallucinations, for instance, suggest a form of schizophrenia, but there are several different conditions that tie similar “delusions” to coping mechanisms like overeating. Ultimately, Hurley knows that he shouldn’t be eating so much or so compulsively, so he embodies that desire in the form of “Dave”, who conveniently also takes the form of someone who Hurley believes he killed.

Without more information, it’s hard to draw conclusions. In nearly every other respect, Hurley appears to be “normal”. But tying this particular situation into a larger perspective explains much about his conclusions regarding the “numbers”. Hurley’s psychological condition (whatever it might specifically be) drives him to take his anxieties and give them an external source. So his anxiety over guilt turns into a friend who pushes him to find comfort in food, and his anxiety over the “numbers” turns into a “curse” carried by the numbers themselves. (And he even refers to the “numbers” as though they are self-aware and acting on their own.)

The writers manage to tell Hurley’s tale on two levels. From one point of view, Hurley’s story is rather straightforward. When he didn’t have a source of food to fuel his psychosis, he was doing a lot better. Once that food came along, it was a downhill struggle to this point. Libby is there to help him, quite possibly because she understands his situation based on her own experience. Libby, in turn, could replace food as a source of comfort.

This is an interesting parallel to Charlie’s situation. Charlie was an addict who tried to give up his vice and turned to Claire and Aaron to fill the psychological void. Unfortunately for Charlie, he assumed that Claire was just fine with the idea. In this case, Libby is fulfilling much the same role for Hurley, but it appears to be a lot more voluntary. If nothing else, it could lead to some interesting tensions between Charlie and Hurley, should this prove to be genuine.

Of course, the end of the episode brings up a few compelling questions about Libby. Just what are her motivations? It’s possible that she was, in fact, a patient at the institute with her own psychological issues. If so, her relationship with Hurley could be fueling whatever psychosis she’s been hiding. But there’s a far more disturbing possibility, which could be even more damaging to Hurley in the end.

There’s a growing body of evidence that Dharma in an active international group with the ability to ensure that certain individuals are on a particular plane at a particular time and date. Whatever the Dharma Initiative might be up to, there’s the strong suggestion that they were looking for individuals with a variety of psychological issues for their project. So why wouldn’t Dharma have agents (for lack of a better word) seeded in particular places where these psychological types could be found for evaluation? It may be reaching for a deeper interpretation, but if Libby is trained in psychology as she claims, she would be in the perfect position to fake a condition and deal with the effects of medication.

It’s also possible, based on some hints and innuendo from “Henry”, that there’s something about the Dharma food. It’s not the first time this particular idea has come into the picture, but since Hurley’s condition is tied directly to food consumption, why not question the main source of foodstuffs on the island? There’s not enough information to draw any specific conclusions, but it’s one possible source of mind-altering substances.

Interestingly, Hurley’s condition leads him to do exactly what Eko warned Locke to avoid: mistaking coincidence for fate. Instead of taking responsibility for his own actions, assumptions, and fears, Hurley points to some external agent or “curse” as the source of everything bad. Locke hasn’t been all that different in his interpretations about the island, and in a way, Hurley’s reaction in this episode says a lot about where Locke’s psychological issues could go.

“Henry” has certainly noticed that side of Locke’s personality. If “Henry” is at all aware of the contents of the hatch, then he probably knows exactly what Locke saw at the end of the lockdown. And he must know that Locke tends to apply a sense of destiny to whatever he finds on the island. In essence, “Henry” cuts right into the heart of everything that Locke needs to believe by saying that the hatch and its contents are nothing more than a game.

In fact, that might be true, since the strong suggestion is that Dharma contrived much of what is on the island. But it’s just as possible that “Henry” wants Locke to believe that it ends there, that it’s all part of some massive psychological study. But if one accepts his comments to Sayid and Ana as genuine, especially the fear, “Henry” may be trying to hide the fact that Dharma’s activities on the island are a lot more complex than an elaborate psychological experiment.

Whatever the case, the question of what happens when the countdown reaches “0” is now even more complex. The fact that “Henry” claims that nothing happened is basically enough evidence to suggest that something would happen, because he’s such a master manipulator. But why tempt Locke to allow the countdown to lapse? The possibility is that the countdown and everything related to it may be completely unrelated to the true goals of the Dharma Initiative.

After all, the hatch and its systems were never designed to be handled by a group as large as the JackLocke tribe. Even accounting for the fact that a handful of people are designated to watch over the hatch and keep entering the code, it’s more than originally intended, if the “orientation” film is to be believed. So it should always be remembered, when thinking of the countdown, that the maximum occupancy for the hatch was meant to be “2”.

It’s also interesting to note that the Others, who are now tied to the Dharma Initiative, haven’t said a thing about the code and the countdown. If it was something so critical, why would the Others allow the JackLocke tribe to be in control of it? Two possibilities come to mind. Either the countdown’s purpose is no longer valid, since the conditions have changed, or the Others want the consequence of a missed countdown to take place.

It all comes down to the fact that everything “Henry” says or suggests must be taken with a mountain of salt, and it’s the difference in how much his words are trusted that generates more and more conflict. That said, it’s quite possible that the reference to “Him” is completely genuine, and there’s a reason not to cross the person in charge of this entire project. If it was genuine, it’s a good bet that “He” is Alvar Hanso. (If anything, the question is whether Hanso has already appeared on-screen.)

What’s brilliant about this episode is that there’s ambiguity in terms of what Hurley did or did not see. Most of the evidence does suggest that it’s all in his head, at least where “Dave” is concerned, but that’s not necessarily the case. After all, Jack and others saw people who were supposed to be dead or, at least, not on the island. It all comes down to where Hurley’s psychosis ends and Dharma’s intentions begin.

Sawyer’s role in this episode was quite interesting. For one thing, he continues to push for some degree of control over trade in goods on the island, which is interesting in light of his struggle with Jack in the previous episode. But the best Sawyer moment had to be his tussle with Hurley. It figures that the one person who would take Sawyer down is the last person anyone expected to go on the attack! Jin’s reaction alone was priceless.

It was a little bit of a risk to follow an episode with a major reveal with a more stand-alone character-based hour, but the writing has become a lot more consistent in the second half of the season and the effect is not as jarring as the last time a Hurley episode followed a Locke episode. In fact, it feels like the series has returned to the level of quality evident during this stretch of the first season, which is a great place to begin the final leg of the season arc.
  • Another example of the formulaic season 2.

So here we have another character episode. In itself a decent enough storyline, from the always entertaining Jorge Garcia.

So what's the problem?

In case anyone hasn't noticed, this is further proof of the writers trying to pad out this season. Whenever an episode builds momentum to a dramatic point in the storyline, 9 times out of 10 the following week will bounce off on some irrelevant tangent and treat the previous important episode as background filler.

This episode would have been great mid-season but follows on from some of the most important revelations of the season and where it should have been building on that, instead stops your curiosity dead in it's tracks with barely 5 minutes of screen time.

This has happened continuously this season. One week the episode will finish on a potentially huge plot device and the next week it will be barely a b-story. The week after it will be back upfront again and finish on a nother dramtic cliffhanger. The week after that ... well, just start this paragraph again.

As we approach the end of this season I'm still asking myself "what are they attempting to do? Where are the characters going?" The first season had solid goals that pushed the story along all season - build a raft and open the hatch.

This season has nothing driving the characters. The potential army has fizzled, the investigation of the medical bunker ignored, attempting to escape has vanished, nobody is bothered about Michael (and the audience doesn't remember him anyway), the monster is a background curio, the hatch is basically a storeroom bereft of any further investigation, the mystery of the computer has been relegated to a button pushing ritual, the map ... well we could talk about that but as usual the writer's skipped it this week.

No doubt the majority of TV.com viewers will rate this episode a 10 purely because Hurley is in it. But ask yourself this question - what did you want to learn more about this episode? The map and the mysterious Henry Gale, or that Hurley has an imaginary friend?
  • Hurley-centric.

Rivals "Walkabout" as one of the best. Several important reveals (in the non-technical sense), a few good twists with just enough foreshadowing to make you feel smart if you "get it" beforehand(not pandered to, like with "The Long Con"), and some fine acting - especially "Henry", who has been a riveting delight throughout his tenure. Oh, and even a classic LOST tear-coaxer in the opening food frenzy bit. And what great use of past information - the writers and producers must have really enjoyed envisioning and anticipating this episode for quite some time. Extremely satisfying -- thanks, TeamLOST!
  • Very good Episode

This episode of Lost was probably one of the best episodes of the series. This episode had many surprises in it including, Dave. Hurleys friend was not real and Libby had been a patient at the mental hospital that Hugo was at. Those to parts were to me the most surprising thing this whole season. Overall this episode is a classic.
  • Such an amazing episode. They trow us more hints, actually furthur the plot and Libby, oh my god!

I have to finally write a review. After following this site. This episode was well written, totally satisfying. More hints, more questioning of reality and what reality might be. Can Eko be building a Church? He crossed himself when he took water. Libby, i really believed she was a psycologist. Didn't see the patient thing coming. Can she be dangerous, could she have contributed to some of the taily's dealths? But the absolute best was when Hurly has a smack down with Sawyer! Go Hurly!
  • Dave...And they woke up and it was all a dream. The End. Review includes Spoilers...probably.

I'm not going to write a synopsis of this episode- I think there have been enough of those already. I'm going to say what I thought Dave offers by way of an escape route from some of the weird goings on in Lost. Basically, as unpopular as the "it was all a dream" type plot may be for some Lost fans, I think at this point it offers the only plausible explanation for the series. So the only question is who's dream is it?

For a long time in the first season, it looked like Walt held the key to the strange going's ons (esp. the polar bear in the comic). Then he left and you're wondering who holds the key- and the answer is...no-one. Actually, that's not quite true- I think everyone does.

Basically, I think Lost is the story of a mass experiment in mind control gone wrong. A group of desperate suicidals opt to undergo either drug treatment or hypnosis. They're told the scenario- "OK imagine you're on a plane that crash landed on a desert island..." injected with drugs and connected to some weird machines. Lets watch the results shall we? The "Others" are simply the doctors and lab assistants. Henry is just a lab rat who volunteered to enter their world as a control mechanism and quite possibly as someone who can prepare for the plug to be pulled.

I may be wrong- I hope I am but with each new twist and turn, I think the likelihood for a "real life" rescue diminishes. Speaking cynically, I dare say they the writers could keep it going for another series if they wanted to- and the ratings were high enough- but in Dave I think we've seen the beginning of the end. Very enjoyable anyway- the interesting thing will be to see how they tie the strands together.
  • Hurley opens up to Libby and she tries to help him through his problems when he sees his "friend Dave" on the island. Locke's begins to have doubts about the island's powers when the prisoner tells him new information about the hatch and it's numbers.

This episode was a let-down after last weeks "Lockdown" episode. Lots of Hurley information including flashbacks. Hurley finely starts to open up to Libby. He tells her about his hidden stash of food and together they destroy it. This made Hurley feel good about his choice until moments later it is revealed that another shipment of food had arrived.

Locke is told by the prisoner (I refuse to call him Henry Gale) that after climbing through the air duct he had let the counter run all the way down. He claimed that nothing happened other than some symbols that looked like hieroglyphics cam up and the numbers reset themselves to 108. he also said there were some strange noises. Locke didn't believe him and called him a liar. the prisoner said "No, I'm done with lying." Locke doesn’t know what to think or who to believe anymore.

Back to Hurley and the nut house he was in. You see once again that his friend Dave is not real. You also see that his new found friend Libby is in the same hospital as him.

I am still convinced that all of the flashback episodes are implanted memories and not real ones. I don't think there was a plane crash and that all of the people are connected because they were only give memories of people and things on the island. That is the reason that Kate's black horse was in her memory from the United States and on the island. The horse indeed is on the island and the DHARMA initiative decided to use it in Kate's memory.

All-in-all an ok episode. Mainly just a filler until may sweeps come and the big Finale. Was hoping for more from the prisoner, at least his real first name. I truly was hoping that Sayid would have taught him a few more lessons.
  • We've learned much about Hurley through the course of his flashback episodes. This one is no exception.

Perhaps it's a bit unfair to review Dave, primarily a character development, slow paced episode, right after watching Lockdown. Either way, this episode held its own. It was very good.

Dave not being real wasn't very surprising to me. Then again, the writers didn't try to make it surprising. They gave fairly obvious hints, such as the basketball game.

By the way, Dave was a little bit like Fight Club meets A Beautiful Mind. Anyways, I thought the ending with Dave trying to get Hurley to convince suicide was a pretty neat idea. You would never think Hurley to be suicidal.

Everything tied together as well. Hurley obviously imagined Dave as someone who would tell him what he wanted to hear. The accident was explained as well, telling us that Hurley has just as much baggage as anyone else stuck on the island.

The "Henry Gale" (notice that ever since Lockdown I can use quotes), scenes were nice. He explained what happened after he left Locke in Lockdown. Now the only question remains: Is he telling the truth?

Another point of interest I had was the line: "God cannot see this place!"

Finally, this episode was quite good, but it lacked the "umph" to push it into greatness. I never really felt any tension throughout.
  • Not sure why everyone seems to think that this was a filler episode. I found it full of information, and revalation.

As I said, I\'m not sure why everybody seems to think that this episode was a filler episode. To me, what the writers are doing is giving information that they want to give, and doing it in such a fashion that they get to keep us in suspense between \'Lockdown\', and the \'Dave\', and the next episode, \'S.O.S.\'. It makes us all want to see the show more, and makes us watch \'Dave\' in case there is going to be important information in it, before getting to \'S.O.S.\' which will most likely be a \"continuation\" of \'Lockdown\'. I believe that it\'s meant to do those two things, as well as make sure that we all watch it, so that the story keeps growing with the characters, as well as the plot, instead of levelling off with only the characters which we already have backstories for. I mean, don\'t we all want to learn all about all of the characters? It may help us figure out more of the secrets as to why they were all brought there.

My guess is that no episode or information that we see/we\'re given is without a reason. We just can\'t put it all together just yet. So my advice to everyone that thinks it was just a filler episode is, be patient. I fully concede that I may be wrong, but I don\'t believe so. And either way, we won\'t know until we\'ve seen everything, as to if it was important or not.

Regardless, I think this episode was very good, and interesting, and very well done, just as every episode is.

I was a big fan of finding out the exact truth about \"Henry Gale\", although IMO it was easily predictable. And I thoroughly enjoyed Hurley\'s story and backstory throughout this episode. I agree that it was fairly easy to predict that \"Dave\" was a figment, but still, the storyline was very interesting, and I enjoyed watching Hurley conquor him the first time by having him go out the window, but not follow him. And I believe that he has conquored him once again (at least for now), when he let him jump/fall off the cliff into the sea.

The only two things that TOTALLY threw me, were that Libby was a patient in the institution with him. I didn\'t think that she was going to be his doctor, b/c they showed what\'s his name from X-Men as his doctor, but I didn\'t think she would have been a patient.

She had said that she was in medical school for a year or so before she dropped out. Maybe something happened to her at medical school, that she just couldn\'t handle, and she just needed to recuperate for a while, and that\'s why she was in there. And sometime afterwards, she became a psychologist.

From a lot of what I understand, people that have had a lot of problems in their past tend, more than people who have not, to become psychologists, so this could help corroborate this theory.

These are my thoughts on the whole thing. Now... back to work.
  • One of my favorites.

Wow. This episode was very interesting. I loved it. Definitely one of my favorite.

I knew Hurley wouldn't let me down. His flashbacks were once again brilliant. The big twist is something that if you don't read spoilers well.. it definitely will blow your head off. I can tell, It did blow mine. On this island, as Hurley sees his 'friend', he starts believeing that he is only imaging the whole thing. And nothing's obvious. What if..? But no... but if... And at the end, when you think, it's all done, the writers throw in a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger that was absolutely unexcepted.
  • With the build up to the final - kick-back with this more 'laid-back' Lost Episode.

In episode 19 of the hit series "Lost" we seem to leave the regularities usually found in a normal episode of Lost.

This is the only episode in the second half of the series that is prominently devoted to a character, which much reminds me of the earlier episodes of the first series.

We follow Hurley through his most recent chanllenges on the island, as he begins to see a strange person from his past appearing on the island.

No-longer are we trapped in the restlesses of the unknowing and can just sit back and forget all of this 'Henry Gale' storylines and just watch the clevery-plotted storylines devoted to one character.

Plot Twists - really what makes a show tick. This episode has one to die for and simply left me dieing to find out more.

I know that in the run-up to the end of the series, the writers are going to become increasingly pressured by the amount of viewers expecting an interesting and satisfying end.

I know it's going to be great and am really looking forward to the upcoming events, especially with the nearing re-appearance of Michael and finding out what really happenned to him as he went searching for Walt.

Good luck to the whole team - I'm sure it will be great, hopefully just as good as the stunning finish of the first series.
  • Dave

I liked this episode alot for a few reasons. I like how they had a One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest thing going in the mental hospital with Dave being the McMurphy, i was half expecting Hurley to throw something through the window. I was a little suprised as to why Henry, or whatever his name is, didnt make more of an effort to prove he wasn an 'other' and say he was traveling with the real Henry, but who knows what is up with him. We'll probably find out next week.

Maybe next week brings back Michael and/or Walt.
  • Hmmm...

Well this was an interesting episode. Somehow the ending surprised me in the fact that it didn't surprise me, though. For some reason it seemed obvious that Dave wasn't real from the beginning, and I thought we were all supposed to see that, and somehow the twist would be that he WAS real, or something... I don't know. That's not my point, I guess. Of course there was the other surprise in that Libby was a patient in the same asylum. That one, I did NOT see coming.

Nevertheless, even though the revelation didn't work for me this week (I guess it can't all the time), I found it a very cool episode despite that. More of Hurley's back story is revealed, and I enjoyed watching it. I can certainly see how some viewers would judge this episode as more "padding," or a cheap sidestep to last week's episode, but I think some people might be overlooking the clever thing the writer's did with this one:

You know how a lot of hyped TV shows or shows with big changes in the past seemed to cop out in the final episodes with the old, "It was just a dream!" ending? Well I think that's what the writer's were addressing with tonight's episode. They play with you through Dave, making you think it might all be someone's imagination. They taunt that old stereotyped ending, yet they do it in such a way as to just address it and show the audience that this will NOT be the case with Lost. I think some might have feared such a finale, that it was all just an illusion, and would have therefore become one of the most hated shows in history. Ha ha. But I take this episode as personal assurance from the writers that they won't be pulling that kind of crap on us in the final episode, since they are bringing it to the forefront now. Good!

Well, anyway. I liked this episode... but then, I pretty much like all of them.
  • Great episode.

This was a great episode. Was very Hurley based, but I liked that. It let us in on a bit more of Hurleys past. Many things that happened throughout this show I had expected, and im sure many others did aswell. However, the ending through me off, and im sure did the same to everyone else. The ending left me Lost I guess I could say. Another great thing about the show, they always leave you wondering.
  • This episode crash your mind! It's simply wonderful, it messes the whole story and makes you wonder about every character and everything that happens on the island. GREAT! (and now what's gonna happen?!)

Well I'm crashed.
    I've just finished watching it, I don't understand anything anymore. My mind's blowing, I'm wondering if all Lost is just in Hurley's mind. I wonder if Dave is true, I wonder if the numbers are just a Hurley's allucination, I wonder the same about Libby.

What a mess! I love this feeling, I'm looking forward to watch the next episodes and see what happens, how the story evolves. Maybe this episode is not the best story compared with others, I don't know, but I think this episode is far the most messy of the whole series, and maybe even much more messy than some movies, worth Memento or those "hard to understand" movies.

This is a great tv show and I can't wait to know what will happen in the end!
  • if the answer is indeed a collective hallucination, then there are some things i don't understand (yet)

if this is all an experiment of a mental institution, then :

-where is the institution located ? some of the characters come from the US, and others from australia. we know that the characters all went to australia before leaving on the plane, but they couldn't have been put in a mental hospital at this point... it wouldnt have made sense.
    -if Walt, Boone and the other guys from the plane who don't have important roles are hallucinations, then why was dave invisible to everyone on the island ? and also why Kate's horse was visible to Jack ? it's not very coherent.
    -there's still the Jin/Sun problem... i don't see any reason why they wouldve been in a mental institution.

this episode would answer many things... like the numbers, the weird stuff.. etc. but it makes some other things incoherent.. so yeah.. ah the writer(s) are insane, i love it. this mystery is genius.
  • I have questions and insight to this episode...

This episode left a lot of new, fun twists with Season 2. Henry tells Locke that he never pressed the button and the numbers reset themselves back to 108. We are now left to wonder if he really left the computer alone. Did he or didn't he? Henry also states that not even God knows where they are. What does he mean by this? The world knows God as all-knowing and all-seeing and Henry contradicts this. What is he playing at? I love how religion is brought into the story because it always makes for interesting discussions on every website from Zealots to Athiests.

I felt Hurley's story was only but a filler...until the end. What a great way to end the show because it leaves a host of questions unanswered. Could it be that Libby was a doctor before and later hospitalized? Yes. There is not nearly enough information to deny or support this claim, however. Hurley imagining all of this would tie up so many loose ends but it seems too easy of ending to me. Besides, if this is the real reason for all that has gone on through this show why reveal it now unless Lost is to end with Season 2?

A few more questions (some with this episode and some from other episodes):
    1. In the final scene Dave is not with Hurley when the Polaroid picture is taken. The camera scans over to reveal Libby in a chair. Watch closely as the camera scans. There is a man at in the foreground sitting at a table. Is he the fake Henry Gale?
    2. Was Libby ever a doctor?
    3. Did Henry ever press the button?
    4. Was Dave ever real?
    5. What was Mr. Eko building and why, of all people was Charlie helping?
    6. Outside note: Where is Desmond? He was last seen running into the jungle and never heard from since?
    7. What is the Monster? I saw a puff of black smoke earlier in the season but the explanation of it has never been fully revealed.
    8. Where is the psycho French Lady during these episodes?
    9. If all of this is truly in Hurley's imagination he would have had to be highly intelligent, right? With all of the symbolism and Latin references it is not likely because Hurley has not been portrayed or proven to be highly intelligent. On the contrary, symbolism of other movies and music and television shows referenced throughout Lost do make sense with Hurley's character on the show.

• Hurley is such a great character!!!

This episode is mostly about Hurley. He has such a great sense of humor too. This one really got into his head, literally. It left us with even more questions. The conversation with Dave in the jungle really makes you question things! I knew there was something with Libby from the moment Hurley told her she looked familiar--I thought she worked at the hospital Hurley where Hurley was a patient--not, she was a patient to! Didn't see that coming... And, the look on her face as she and Hurley walk away from the cliff is disturbing to say the least. I can't wait to see her back story. Hurley and sawyer get into a fight. Every time Hurley hits him he yells out one of the names Sawyer has called him...it was great all while Jin is grinning ear to ear-before he helps to pull Hurley off of him-very funny!

Henry Gale has some interesting things to say in this episode. I wanted to hear more! Sayid almost shoots him. So did he or didn't he push the button? He tries to convince Locke that he did nothing but, saw some strange things happen when the alarms stopped. He also made an interesting comment about God not seeing the island like the rest of the world can't... And, who is the "He" he is referring to when talking to Sayid and Anna Lucia? The devil? This episode makes the viewer question everything they have seen to this point as being real or not.

It seems that a number of people on the island have an "imaginary friend" of their own since being stranded there. The subconscious level of the survivors has something to do with what is going on. Maybe the magnet force near the hatch has some effect on the brain and is causing some of them to see things from their subconscious-maybe that is why the island is invisible to some as well--like an invisible force field...I am grasping here can you tell?

Either way this was an interesting episode that leaves the viewer glued to their TV, TIVO and VCR playback!

• Take this episode at face value and its barely average. I don't think it should be taken at face value. The fact that I have been so intrigued by it the past week rates it 9.0 on that basis alone. Sayid in hospital Flashbacks???

If this episode is to be taken at face value then I think it was sub par. HOWEVER... I don't think it is to be taken at face value. If the fact that I have been thinking about little else for the past week is any indication then you have to rate this episode at least a 9 on that basis alone.

I think bkerila and chiefduffer are on the right track. I read their reviews yesterday and for the last 24 hours Lost has really been stuck in my mind. Their theory fits together very well - too well I'm afraid... I think perhaps the creators tipped their hands here and I'm depressed about that. The whole 'Matrix' scenario seems very likely here and its better than the "it was all a dream" answer that the creators have always denied. It seems very likely that the survivors (at least the ones with speaking parts) are in the same hospital and all hooked up to some machine that let's them share their collective unconsciousness. It would also seem that the doctors have the ability to manipulate the situations (e.g. the monster security system).

When you think about it every major character has sufferred some great emotional trauma which would justify their needing mental therapy:
    Jack (betrayed his father who then drank himself to death)
    Locke (abandoned by parents and betrayed by father for kidney - lost use of legs)
    Sayid (war situations and loss of love Nadia)
    Ana-Lucia (was shot and lost child)
    Hurley (deck accident)
    Kate (killed her father and later her childhood friend in car chase)
    Sawyer (father killed mother & committed suicide, Sawyer killed a man he mistakenly thought conned his parents)
    Michael (struck by car)
    Libby (apparently)
    Claire (pregnant and abandoned by child's father)
    Mr Eko (feels responsible for his brother's death and the priest he shot as a boy)
    Sun/Jin? not clear yet
    Shannon - lost rich father, left out of estate

In some cases like Charlie, Kate, Sawyer and Sayid their participation may not have been voluntary. They may have been forced into the situation as retribution for their past illegal activities and possibly they weren't even aware they were being put in. Likewise Shannon may have been committed by her evil stepmother.

I would guess that some of the characters may have been brought into the Lost world by other characters for example Boone (imagined by Shanon since she relied upon him so much. Perhaps the doctors made Locke feel pain in his legs which forced Boone to climb into the wrecked plane and led to his demise), Walt may have been brought in by Michael. Its unclear what the purpose would be for such a mental experiment but if it is to rehabilitate or cure the depressed or mentally ill then perhaps the doctors felt they needed to remove these obstacle presences like Walt, Boone and the Federal Marshall.

One thing is for certain. If everything that we're seeing is all taking place in their collective heads then anything is possible. A couple that can't have children can now get pregnant. A parapalegic can walk. Polar Bears and horses can appear and so can black smoke monsters.

I'm curious about who Jack may really be. Is he the one Henry Gail keeps referring to? I've noticed on occasions that Jack is confident almost to the point of arrogance. He seems unemotional and detached in many situations where you would expect more reaction or emotion. He usually has no problem dealing with Sawyer. He's too cool as if he knows things the rest of the survivors don't know. For example "when I need the guns I'll get the guns". Maybe I'm reaching here. It could just be typical doctor's bedside manner.

After rewatching "Dave" I noticed:
    Dave said to Hurley: See you in another life
    In ep 2x1? Desmond said to Jack: See you in another life. (BTW - where did Desmond go?)

Desmond called Jack "brother" when they first met and when they met in the hatch. One of the whispering voices can be heard to say something about "the brothers."

Is Libby the only other survivor you see at the Hospital in Hurley's flashbacks? Am I crazy or do I see a clean shaven Sayid playing basketball and wearing a red flannel shirt and some shorts and a snow cap. Later, in the scenes in the rec room of the hospital where Hurley gets his picture taken is that Sayid I see with his hair hanging down under a black baseball cap? In the final scene of "Dave" right before the camera moves over to the brown haired Libby you see Hurley get his picture taken and there is who I think is Sayid right in center screen!
  • Strangest episode of the season... so far!

I enjoyed this episode, but I would have to say it was the strangest of the season so far. Made me question what was real and what wasn't, then at the end when I thought I knew.. they twist it up again. Gotta love the writers!! Next week should be insightful as well.
  • A really enjoyable episode with a few big shocks along the way.

Tonight's episode of Lost was centered around the lovable Hurley. On the island, we get to see his battle with madness as he confronts his old friend "Dave", and in the flashbacks we get to see how Dave and Hurley first came to be friends.

The events on the island with Hurley are the usual Hurley episode mix of feeling sorry for Hurley and plenty of jokes and fun. The formula isn't old at all, and the episode is really enjoyable, even though some may be angry that we aren't getting a significant main story line advancement.

Or are we? At the end of the episode, we get "Henry Gale's" latest mind game, and a new question forms that will undoubtably fill the Lost message boards for weeks to come - did he really push the button? The episode also gives us another major revelation at the very end, and it's one that I didn't see coming the way it did.

Although this episode didn't advance the story as much as say Lockdown did, it's a welcome break from the fast pace and gives us another great (and funny) episode that Hurley is known for. Now the painful wait begins again for next week.

(Don't forget to check out www.theislandoflost.com for all the latest Lost information)
  • Dave who is he.

Hurley chases after his old imaginary friend in the jungle, and his relationship with Libby develops. "Henry Gale" tells Locke that he did not enter the numbers, and Locke questions his commitment to the hatch. Hurley remembers his time at a mental institution, and surprisingly, so does Libby. Dave was full of information and honestly had me really confused and normally I don't really get confused by this show the whole its in your mind thing was crazy but I knew it was bull crap because this episode would have happened near the end of the series.
    Overal a Brilliant and informative episode with plenty going on.
  • Wow, Season 2 of Lost is just getting better and better!

Wow, Season 2 of Lost is just getting better and better! The last 3 episodes have been some of the best this season and tonights episode 'Dave' just continued the great streak! It is kind of expected because there is only 5 more episodes to go but this episode was very special.

Hurley is the most important character in Lost because of his history with the numbers. That is why I enjoy is flashbacks so much, Hurley's flashbacks are not boring like everyone else's and actually give us new information aobut him. This episode also played with out minds because of Hurley's visions and I was pissing my self laughing after I saw him ram into Sawyer and the expressions on his face was just so funny!

I hope the 'good episode' streak continues.
  • Dave!!!

I loved this episode, it had all the elements to a great episode; a good story on the beach, good character development, and a goof flashback (manditory for a great episode).

I loved the suspense in this episode and the plot twist from who the hell is this guy, to o okay that's who that guy is, to so why's he here, to o he doesn't exsist.

A Hurley episode is impossible to hate with no exception (with exception to Everbody Hates Hugo:P). I loved the connection between Libby and Hurley too. And who could forget the Sawyer takle.

Dr. Brooks: Dave isn't your friend Hugo... because Dave doesn't exsist.

LOST
  • Best episode of season 2 so far.

This episode was a return to form for Lost. For most of the second season the episodes had been either too slow and monotonous or too quick and points were missed. "Dave" was perfectly timed, tightly scripted and was a real mental challenge.
    The introduction of the Dave character bought about a new twist in the Lost saga. The allusions to mental illness were straight out of the pages of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and challenged the viewer to decide what was real and what was not. Many people could relate to Hurley's fears of insecurity, weight gain and even the question of reality. And the final twist: what was Libby doing in a mental institute? We'll have to wait to find out the real answers.
  • Clever mind tricks from the Lost writers.

The writers with this episode have been very clever and must be applauded. When Lost first aired everyone was like "I bet it's not real," and "It's a dream."

This episode was made specifically to confuse those people even more. "What if?" is the recurring theme. "What if it's actually Libby making it up in her head?"

Interesting. I enjoyed this episode and really feel for Hurley. The character connection between him and Libby on the cliff top was well written. It softly dealt with Hurley's hopes and fears.

The flashbacks were insightful into why Hurley was there in a mental institution to begin with. Again the numbers pop up. 23 people were on that decking whick collapsed.
    Hurley and Lenard play Connect-4. And in the game of Connect-4, there are 42 spaces for counters.

Attention to detail is astounding, isn't it? That's why I love it.

Great episode
  • A Hurley-centric episode.

Let me just start out this review by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode, and I thought that the flashbacks of Hurley's life were very interesting. I really liked getting to learn more about Hurley because I've always thought that his back story was very interesting. I also liked getting the chance to see more of character Libby since I think that she's a very interesting character. I loved the part when Hurley attacks Sawyer and they get into a big fight. That part was so funny. This is definitely my favorite of all the Hurley-centric episodes that they've had so far. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Two DVD set.
  • great episode

Hurley starts to see a man who was his friend at the mental institution that he was in. Libby helps Hurley with his mental state. This is a Hurley episode, the flashback centers on his past. At the hatch, the prisoner tells Locke something that makes him question about the things that are happening in the island. This episode centers around Hurley's past life and his friend who appears in front of him on the island. It does something with his uncontrolled eating, it's a good episode, we see more of Hurley's life in the past. It's a good one.
  • One hell of a tricky episode, Is lost even real?

We all know about Hugo a.k.a Hurley, we also know that he was in a psych ward, we know about the Lottery, we know about the 'MAGICAL' numbers, and the whole Island. But the one thing that got me thinking, is any of this real? Or is it all in Hurley's mind? If it turns out to be a dream or one of his 'coma dreams' then this would suck big time!

It also turns out that "Henry Gale" is actually one of the "Others". The whole story about the balloon was actually real, but not his. He stole a guy's identity and used it to cover up as being a "survivor".

Lost is just getting more and more revealing in each and every episode.
  • This episode is about Hurly.

This episode is about Hurly. Libby lends a helping hand to Hurley to support him when he begins to think the island is having a strange effect on him. Hurley begins to see Dave (guest-star Evan Handler) on the island, who was his friend in the mental institution Hurley was in. Dave is a person that Hurly's mind made up so Dave was like imaginary. Also, Locke's sense of purpose is shaken when the prisoner gives him new information about the hatch which I think is very suspicious. My favorite part of this episode is when we get to see the flashbacks of Hurly and if you ask me this was a very good episode. This is one of my favorites.
< 1 2 3 4 5