Lost

Deus Ex Machina

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2005 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• interesting episode. learn that locke lost his liver in a scam

decent episode. the flashback is kind of irrelevant. kind of wondering how locke disappeared so fast without anyone seeing because there were a bunch of people in the cave behind locke when he disappeared. interesting metal structure. doesn't look like a ship or anything that moves. boone is able to get a message out. looks like there are other survivors on the island too as seen by when boone was in the plane. wonder if locke took the gun that he found on the nigerian dude. looks like they are somewhere near africa as seen by the giant nigerian map. why would the pilots fly with just a nigerian map if they were traveling somewhere else? doesn't make sense so they have to be near nigeria.
  • Poor Lock adn Boon, will they ever open that hatch?

A great episode with an insight into why Lock is how he is. His mother and father put him up for adoption and then when they came back in to his life they have both lied to him. His mother told him he was immaculately conceived and his father befriended him, took his kidney and then ran off. No wonder Lock is so mysterious.

When Boon hurts himself falling out the plane I wonder if he is going to live. Either way would wok for the writers. I hope he doesn't die as I think he is a good charcter however the writers may have run dry the available storylines.

Sawyer wearing a mix and match pair of glasses was very funny. Will Charlie find the heroin and become addicted again?
  • Poor Locke and Boone.

Awwww Locke's flashback was so sad with his mom and dad both playing him into getting money and a kiney and then poor Boone that sucks that he had to die i liked his character but it was aweome on the radio to hear No, we're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 so whaqt does that mean it's going to be kool to see what happens next.
  • Lost's Finest

This is THE Best episode of Lost Season 1. It has a superb backstory to the mysterious character that is John Locke but these flashbacks also tie in with the episode, with plenty twists n turns and more information than we can handle, this episode is just simply perfect. As soon as you watch this you will be hooked from the start but sad when it finishes as a great episode is over. Could Lost get any better
  • Rather odd isnt it?

Lost is getting much stranger as it gets into the series but then again it makes perfect sense which seems impossible but to me it isnt cos im just a larry pretty much. The dream freaked me out but if u think about it... It predicted the future didnt it? Boone covered in blood at the end because of the plane that they saw crash. It had already crashed but it went down further. And it looks like we wont actually find out about teresa and the stairs because i was getting really excited to find out what happens. I wouldn't have thought that Shannon was there and she's not exactly going to talk about it because her character is my least favorite one.

Great episode. I never knew that Locke actually did have HAIR! That had to be the biggest surprise didn't it! LOL! Great episode rather odd and let to some pretty interesting issues after...
  • This episode had everything

This episode was fantastic mostly because it centered around Locke, who is the most origional character ever created. Lockes dream was even scarier than at the end of 'raised by another' and the part near the end was a good insight as to why Locke is so mysterious and never reveals anything about himself to any of the other survivors.
  • Locke - a Christ figure

I like episodes about Locke. Well, honestly I like episodes about people other than Jack. In this episode, we found out that John Locke's biological father's family name is Cooper. That would make him John Cooper - JC...which would make sense because so far he has been a Christ figure. QED!

• Locke shows a very different, weaker side, to his personality...

John Locke throughout the many episodes of Lost up until now, has always been portrayed as the marksman hunter, the adventurer, the man with no limits. In Deus Ex Machina that theme continues, but throughout the duration of the episode we're shown some of Locke's weaknesses and fears.

The episode begins with a scene set in a toy store. Playing with a board game is one of the employees, who upon being visited by a youngster, shows him how the game is played. In the background a woman is watching, before approaching and asking for help. She dissapears again but continues watching. Locke meets her again outside of work, catching her spying on him. He gives chase, and it's revealed to audience and character alike that the woman is his mother. A shocking twist, but not as big as the introduction of his father, more on that later.

Boone has been a regular accomplice of Locke since Claire first went missing, and between them most of their time has been spent trying to open the hatch. Scenes showing them with a trebuchet feature, one that despite it's good construction, fails. Locke has a dream later that night, the island "showing" him what to do, a plane crashing on the horizon, the next day he and Boone go searching for it.

The friendship between Locke and Boone for me, has been one of the more subdued highlights, their regular conversations, the chemistry between them, it's been a joy to watch.Such things dont last however, as upon finding the plane, Boone is injured. Locke takes him all the way back to camp, alerting Jack to his situation, merely telling him he "feel off a cliff". The camera cuts between the characters, and in a oh-so familiar style, Locke is soon gone.

This episode is his, and as well as us finding out about both his mother and father, where he gained some of his hunting skills, and where his love of games come from, throughout the episode we get to see a lot weaker side of John. He finds out late in the episode that his dad only met with him to build trust and get a kidney transplant. An unconventional gift, but Terry O Quinn does it all superbly in this episode. Anger, frustration, determination, tears, it's all solid gold.

Locke heads back to the hatch after dropping Boone off an camp, kneeling on the hatch he crys, begging the island to see what it wants him to do, desperately trying to find out how to open the hatch. The camera pans out, his frustration still clear, and then, from inside the hatch, a light shines through the glass...
  • sad and scary

Very clever episode.l On one hand you totally feel sorry for Locke and how he was tricked by his own parents. On the other hand, the vision Locke had was very scary. The quick shot of Boone covered in blood gave me the chills. It was really very nicely done.
  • The Parent Trap

An emotional hour which features an astonishing performance from Terry O'Quinn, this is the second Locke-centric episode and it easily bests Walkabout, which was also a classic.

Deus Ex Machina sees Locke having difficulty walking and having visions of a small plane crashing and Boone covered in blood. In flashbacks, we see Locke's parents deceiving him into donating one of his kidney's to his long-lost father and in the present, a venture into the woods has tragic consequences for Boone.

This is easily the most powerful episode of the season with an equally powerful performance from Terry O'Quinn. How William Shatner won the Emmy over O'Quinn is just insane. He is absolutely brilliant in this episode, from his reaction to a woman coming to him, claiming to be his mother, to his growing relationship with the father he never knew and finally his anger and hatred after he discovers that he had been set-up.

Locke is the most interesting character on the show and this is a seriously classic episode. All the performances are excellent, the Sawyer subplot hilarious and a shocking climax.
  • Radio change to "no, we're the survivors" reveals that the tail section of the plane DID make it.

I feel that the decision to change the message that Boone recieved from "there were no survivors" to "we're the survivors" is revealing... as much as Lost is known for revealing. I believe that the transmission came from survivors of the tail section of the plane and that it was changed when Lost picked up for the second season and they then had the opportunity to throw in new twists for the second season. Don't ask me why they wouldn't have just put it in from the start though.
  • More Locke Flashbacks.

Locke's flashbacks were very interesting. I picked up on the fact that him meeting his parents was a set-up from the very beginning. The father just wanted his kidney. It's so horrible that he could treat John that way. John was so innocent and genuine to his father. I felt horrible for him, especially at the end when he was driving away crying and punching the car.

I also felt bad for Boone. I have a bad feeling that he is going to die. He's a good kid who really cares about his sister even though she treats him like dirt. I also feel bad that he could die from something that happened while he was following Locke around like a dog. He does whatever he is told and was just trying to help. To make matters worse, he only stayed in the plane because he found a radio and was talking to someone on it. Not only does could he die, but one of their chances of getting home died too. Poor kid.
  • We learn some more things about Locke, and also there's a funny storyline about Sawyer and his glasses.

I think this was one of the best episodes of Lost, it was really moving the storyline of Locke and his father. Locke's struggle to keep what the island has given to him (his legs) was amazing... I'm not sure how that ended anyway, he was barely paralized but then he carried Boone to the caves, so I suppose that the island's purpose was fulfilled and returned him the ability to walk or something.

Also, the interaction between Jack and Sawyer in this episode was hilarious. It was really funny when Jack made him admit that he has had sex with a hooker and contracted and STD, specially with Kate watching.

It's been a long time since we seen a full story involving Jack or Kate, I hope that they return to the spotlight in the next episodes. Being that said, Locke is one of my favourite characters, so I'm not complaining. Would have been nice to see a little of Charlie and Claire.

Finally, there are a lot of thinks that I hope to understand someday (the numbers, the polar bears, etc), this time is Locke's "immaculate" conception... what does that mean?? Also, the answer that Boone gets when he uses the radio is more than interesting. We'll have to wait and see, I have plenty of faith in the producers of this show that the season ending will be great.
  • This episode was really emotional, and it kept me following the show.

This episode really gives you some backinfo on the mysterious Locke. And it has a cliffhanger ending, showing some more of the hatch.
    Locke's pain is really a touvy subject that i think will be brought into the future episodes.
    This is one of my favourite episodes of LOST and i hope they make more episodes that can compare to this one.
    Many refer to 'Walkabout' as the best hour of this mesmerising series, but I think this follow up episode is even better. Seeing O'Quinn's character fighting desperately to retain his new found sense of purpose on the island is truly moving stuff. Equally intriguing, is watching how this 'crusade' ironically leads to the death of another, just as his own heroic gesture towards his 'father' (revealed to us in characteristic flashbacks) tragically sealed Locke's fate in a 'previous life'. Truly transencent television!
  • Locke begins to have difficulties with walking as he and Boone try to find a way into the hatch. In this episode we learn more about Locke's paralyzing encounter with his scheming biological parents. Lastly, as Locke confronts his troubled past and strugg

This was the best episode of Lost ever. I love the flashback sequence that they gave Locke. It was also funny how they had to give Sawyer reading glasses. He looked really funny in them. It was very interesting when Boone got in touch with someone one the beech craft they found. To sad it fell and ingured Boone so bad he would die the next episode. But that is why I love this episode.
1 2 >