Lost

Deus Ex Machina

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2005 on ABC

• Locke begins to have difficulties with walking as he and Boone try to find a way into the hatch. In this episode we learn more about Locke's paralyzing encounter with his scheming biological parents. Lastly, as Locke confronts his troubled past and strugg

This was the best episode of Lost ever. I love the flashback sequence that they gave Locke. It was also funny how they had to give Sawyer reading glasses. He looked really funny in them. It was very interesting when Boone got in touch with someone one the beech craft they found. To sad it fell and ingured Boone so bad he would die the next episode. But that is why I love this episode.
    Many refer to 'Walkabout' as the best hour of this mesmerising series, but I think this follow up episode is even better. Seeing O'Quinn's character fighting desperately to retain his new found sense of purpose on the island is truly moving stuff. Equally intriguing, is watching how this 'crusade' ironically leads to the death of another, just as his own heroic gesture towards his 'father' (revealed to us in characteristic flashbacks) tragically sealed Locke's fate in a 'previous life'. Truly transencent television!
  • This episode was really emotional, and it kept me following the show.

This episode really gives you some backinfo on the mysterious Locke. And it has a cliffhanger ending, showing some more of the hatch.
    Locke's pain is really a touvy subject that i think will be brought into the future episodes.
    This is one of my favourite episodes of LOST and i hope they make more episodes that can compare to this one.
  • We learn some more things about Locke, and also there's a funny storyline about Sawyer and his glasses.

I think this was one of the best episodes of Lost, it was really moving the storyline of Locke and his father. Locke's struggle to keep what the island has given to him (his legs) was amazing... I'm not sure how that ended anyway, he was barely paralized but then he carried Boone to the caves, so I suppose that the island's purpose was fulfilled and returned him the ability to walk or something.

Also, the interaction between Jack and Sawyer in this episode was hilarious. It was really funny when Jack made him admit that he has had sex with a hooker and contracted and STD, specially with Kate watching.

It's been a long time since we seen a full story involving Jack or Kate, I hope that they return to the spotlight in the next episodes. Being that said, Locke is one of my favourite characters, so I'm not complaining. Would have been nice to see a little of Charlie and Claire.

Finally, there are a lot of thinks that I hope to understand someday (the numbers, the polar bears, etc), this time is Locke's "immaculate" conception... what does that mean?? Also, the answer that Boone gets when he uses the radio is more than interesting. We'll have to wait and see, I have plenty of faith in the producers of this show that the season ending will be great.
  • More Locke Flashbacks.

Locke's flashbacks were very interesting. I picked up on the fact that him meeting his parents was a set-up from the very beginning. The father just wanted his kidney. It's so horrible that he could treat John that way. John was so innocent and genuine to his father. I felt horrible for him, especially at the end when he was driving away crying and punching the car.

I also felt bad for Boone. I have a bad feeling that he is going to die. He's a good kid who really cares about his sister even though she treats him like dirt. I also feel bad that he could die from something that happened while he was following Locke around like a dog. He does whatever he is told and was just trying to help. To make matters worse, he only stayed in the plane because he found a radio and was talking to someone on it. Not only does could he die, but one of their chances of getting home died too. Poor kid.
  • Radio change to "no, we're the survivors" reveals that the tail section of the plane DID make it.

I feel that the decision to change the message that Boone recieved from "there were no survivors" to "we're the survivors" is revealing... as much as Lost is known for revealing. I believe that the transmission came from survivors of the tail section of the plane and that it was changed when Lost picked up for the second season and they then had the opportunity to throw in new twists for the second season. Don't ask me why they wouldn't have just put it in from the start though.
  • The Parent Trap

An emotional hour which features an astonishing performance from Terry O'Quinn, this is the second Locke-centric episode and it easily bests Walkabout, which was also a classic.

Deus Ex Machina sees Locke having difficulty walking and having visions of a small plane crashing and Boone covered in blood. In flashbacks, we see Locke's parents deceiving him into donating one of his kidney's to his long-lost father and in the present, a venture into the woods has tragic consequences for Boone.

This is easily the most powerful episode of the season with an equally powerful performance from Terry O'Quinn. How William Shatner won the Emmy over O'Quinn is just insane. He is absolutely brilliant in this episode, from his reaction to a woman coming to him, claiming to be his mother, to his growing relationship with the father he never knew and finally his anger and hatred after he discovers that he had been set-up.

Locke is the most interesting character on the show and this is a seriously classic episode. All the performances are excellent, the Sawyer subplot hilarious and a shocking climax.
  • sad and scary

Very clever episode.l On one hand you totally feel sorry for Locke and how he was tricked by his own parents. On the other hand, the vision Locke had was very scary. The quick shot of Boone covered in blood gave me the chills. It was really very nicely done.
  • Locke shows a very different, weaker side, to his personality...

John Locke throughout the many episodes of Lost up until now, has always been portrayed as the marksman hunter, the adventurer, the man with no limits. In Deus Ex Machina that theme continues, but throughout the duration of the episode we're shown some of Locke's weaknesses and fears.

The episode begins with a scene set in a toy store. Playing with a board game is one of the employees, who upon being visited by a youngster, shows him how the game is played. In the background a woman is watching, before approaching and asking for help. She dissapears again but continues watching. Locke meets her again outside of work, catching her spying on him. He gives chase, and it's revealed to audience and character alike that the woman is his mother. A shocking twist, but not as big as the introduction of his father, more on that later.

Boone has been a regular accomplice of Locke since Claire first went missing, and between them most of their time has been spent trying to open the hatch. Scenes showing them with a trebuchet feature, one that despite it's good construction, fails. Locke has a dream later that night, the island "showing" him what to do, a plane crashing on the horizon, the next day he and Boone go searching for it.

The friendship between Locke and Boone for me, has been one of the more subdued highlights, their regular conversations, the chemistry between them, it's been a joy to watch.Such things dont last however, as upon finding the plane, Boone is injured. Locke takes him all the way back to camp, alerting Jack to his situation, merely telling him he "feel off a cliff". The camera cuts between the characters, and in a oh-so familiar style, Locke is soon gone.

This episode is his, and as well as us finding out about both his mother and father, where he gained some of his hunting skills, and where his love of games come from, throughout the episode we get to see a lot weaker side of John. He finds out late in the episode that his dad only met with him to build trust and get a kidney transplant. An unconventional gift, but Terry O Quinn does it all superbly in this episode. Anger, frustration, determination, tears, it's all solid gold.

Locke heads back to the hatch after dropping Boone off an camp, kneeling on the hatch he crys, begging the island to see what it wants him to do, desperately trying to find out how to open the hatch. The camera pans out, his frustration still clear, and then, from inside the hatch, a light shines through the glass...
  • Locke - a Christ figure

I like episodes about Locke. Well, honestly I like episodes about people other than Jack. In this episode, we found out that John Locke's biological father's family name is Cooper. That would make him John Cooper - JC...which would make sense because so far he has been a Christ figure. QED!

• This episode had everything

This episode was fantastic mostly because it centered around Locke, who is the most origional character ever created. Lockes dream was even scarier than at the end of 'raised by another' and the part near the end was a good insight as to why Locke is so mysterious and never reveals anything about himself to any of the other survivors.
  • Rather odd isnt it?

Lost is getting much stranger as it gets into the series but then again it makes perfect sense which seems impossible but to me it isnt cos im just a larry pretty much. The dream freaked me out but if u think about it... It predicted the future didnt it? Boone covered in blood at the end because of the plane that they saw crash. It had already crashed but it went down further. And it looks like we wont actually find out about teresa and the stairs because i was getting really excited to find out what happens. I wouldn't have thought that Shannon was there and she's not exactly going to talk about it because her character is my least favorite one.

Great episode. I never knew that Locke actually did have HAIR! That had to be the biggest surprise didn't it! LOL! Great episode rather odd and let to some pretty interesting issues after...
  • Lost's Finest

This is THE Best episode of Lost Season 1. It has a superb backstory to the mysterious character that is John Locke but these flashbacks also tie in with the episode, with plenty twists n turns and more information than we can handle, this episode is just simply perfect. As soon as you watch this you will be hooked from the start but sad when it finishes as a great episode is over. Could Lost get any better
  • Poor Locke and Boone.

Awwww Locke's flashback was so sad with his mom and dad both playing him into getting money and a kiney and then poor Boone that sucks that he had to die i liked his character but it was aweome on the radio to hear No, we're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 so whaqt does that mean it's going to be kool to see what happens next.
  • Poor Lock adn Boon, will they ever open that hatch?

A great episode with an insight into why Lock is how he is. His mother and father put him up for adoption and then when they came back in to his life they have both lied to him. His mother told him he was immaculately conceived and his father befriended him, took his kidney and then ran off. No wonder Lock is so mysterious.

When Boon hurts himself falling out the plane I wonder if he is going to live. Either way would wok for the writers. I hope he doesn't die as I think he is a good charcter however the writers may have run dry the available storylines.

Sawyer wearing a mix and match pair of glasses was very funny. Will Charlie find the heroin and become addicted again?
  • interesting episode. learn that locke lost his liver in a scam

decent episode. the flashback is kind of irrelevant. kind of wondering how locke disappeared so fast without anyone seeing because there were a bunch of people in the cave behind locke when he disappeared. interesting metal structure. doesn't look like a ship or anything that moves. boone is able to get a message out. looks like there are other survivors on the island too as seen by when boone was in the plane. wonder if locke took the gun that he found on the nigerian dude. looks like they are somewhere near africa as seen by the giant nigerian map. why would the pilots fly with just a nigerian map if they were traveling somewhere else? doesn't make sense so they have to be near nigeria.
  • Another great episode...

FLASHBACK: Locke is working in a toy store. He is setting up a game of Mousetrap and a young boy asks to see how it works. He notices a woman that is standing off to the side. She is staring at him. Locke approaches her but she only asks for a football. Locke tells her what aisle they are in and goes back to his work.

On the island, Locke and Boone finish building the trebuchet so they can use it to open the hatch. Boone wonders about Locke's life before the crash. Locke says that it would bore him. Locke then uses the trebuchet to try to open the hatch. It slams down on the hatch and doesn't even leave a dent. The trebuchet itself shatters and falls apart. Boone points out that there is shrapnel sticking out of Locke's leg. Locke can't feel the pain and doesn't even notice it until he pulls it out of his leg. That night, Locke is sitting by the campfire. He decides to test his reflexes by taking a branch from the fire and pressing against the bottom of his foot. He feels nothing and is scared that he may become paralyzed again.

The next day, Locke tries to convince Boone to help him rebuild the trebuchet. Boone doesn't like the idea anymore. He's not sure what they should do. Locke says the island will send them a message and tell them what it is they are supposed to do. Boone starts to doubt Locke. At the same time, Locke is starting to have trouble walking.

FLASHBACK: Locke is in the toy store parking lot. He sees the woman again as he is about to leave. He chases after her. When he finally catches up to her and asks her why she is following him, she says "I'm your mother."

Locke is now sitting with his mother at a diner. She tells him that their meeting is a sign of great things and destiny. Locke asks about his father but she tells him that he doesn't have a father. "You were immaculately conceived." Locke is shocked by her comments.

On the island, Sawyer asks Sun which leaves he can use to cure a headache. Kate overhears and talks to Sun once Sawyer leaves. Sun says that Sawyer has been having headaches that aspirin can't cure. Kate goes and tells Jack about Sawyer's condition. Jack says he would help, but he knows Sawyer won't let him.

Boone finds Locke at the hatch. He tells him that he is giving up. He doesn't think they can open the hatch. "The island will send us a sign..." Locke looks overhead and sees a plane fly by. When Locke looks back at Boone, he sees him covered in blood. Boone is chanting the phrase "Teresa falls up the stairs, Teresa falls down the stairs..." Locke is confused and then sees his mother pointing in the direction of the plane. Then Locke looks down and sees that he is paralyzed and wheelchair bound again. Suddenly Locke awakes from his sleep. He gets up and wakes Boone to head off into the jungle.

FLASHBACK: Locke is meeting with a private investigator. He wants to know about the woman who claims to be his mother. It is confirmed that she is Emily Annabelle Locke, his mother. He tells Locke that she has schizophrenia. Locke then asks about his father. "Your mother sought you out, so she's fair game. This guy may not even know you exist." Locke wants to know anyways. The investigator gives him a red folder with information about his father.

Locke pulls up to a gate and asks a guard if he can see Mr. Cooper and explains that he is his son. He waits in his father's den and looks at photographs. His father comes in and offers him a drink. Cooper says that he didn't know he existed because Emily said she wasn't going to have the baby. He also says that he has no family. He asks Locke to go hunting with him the next weekend.

At the hatch, Locke tells Boone about his dream. He thinks the plane is the sign they've been waiting for. Boone thinks Locke has lost it. This prompts Locke to ask "Who is Teresa?" Boone says it was his babysitter that he used to torture by calling her up and down the stairs over the intercom. He says that one day she missed a step and fell. Boone tries to figure out if he ever mentioned this to Locke before. Either that or Locke's dream holds the truth.

Jack goes to check on the raft building. He sees Sawyer sitting against a tree with a wet cloth on his forehead. He goes and asks him about the headaches. Sawyer isn't happy that Kate told him and brushes him off. Jack goes to leave, but Sawyer starts talking. He is genuinely concerned that he could have a brain tumor, like the one that killed his uncle. Jack says he wants to run a couple tests on him at the caves. Sawyer says he can't because "my insurance ran out."

Locke and Boone are trudging through the jungle when Locke's legs give out on him and he falls. Boone wants to know what's wrong. Locke says he is fine. He looks up and sees a decomposed body fall from the tree above them. They figure out that it was a priest, by his clothes. However, they find a gun in his pocket. What priest carries a gun?

FLASHBACK: Locke goes to the estate again. He is going hunting with his father. He gets there early and finds his father hooked up to a kidney dialysis machine. His father's kidney is failing and since he is older he is near the bottom of the list for donors. He didn't tell Locke because he didn't want it to ruin their time together.

On the beach, Sawyer's headaches get worse with every little noise around him. Kate tells him that he should go see Jack. So he does. Jack runs a few tests and then asks him a series of questions. They start out as normal questions then they get more ridiculous. Jack asks him if he has ever had an STD, to which Sawyer says yes. After asking when the last time it flamed up was, Sawyer gets mad and storms out of the caves. Kate watched all of this. She asks Jack is it was necessary to have fun with Sawyer like that. Jack laughs and says that Sawyer is fine - he needs glasses.

In the jungle, Locke and Boone keep looking for the plane. Locke is still having trouble walking. He blames the shrapnel wound. Boone points out that he is limping with his left leg right now and the shrapnel hit him in the right leg. He thinks they should head back and find Jack. Locke demands they go on and then collapses again. Locke tells Boone that he used to be in a wheelchair and that the island made him whole again. The plane is something they are meant to find. He asks Boone to help him up.

FLASHBACK: Locke is walking through a field while hunting with his father. Locke shoots his fist dove. His father congratulates him and says that he is happy they can be together, while there is still time.

In the jungle, Boone carries Locke with him. They stop to rest when Locke looks up and finds a yellow Beechcraft - the same plane from his dream. It is hanging in the tree canopy. Locke says he can't climb but that Boone is going to have to go up and see what is inside.

FLASHBACK: Locke is lying in a surgical bed next to his father. He is going to donate his kidney for his father's sake. His father says "I'll see you on the other side..."

On the beach, Jack brings Sawyer a box full of glasses and says that he needs them since he has been reading so much lately. He tries on a bunch of pairs but none seem to work that well. Saydi takes the two pairs that work best and fuses one eye from each together. They don't look good, but they work. Jack says it's not a fashion show and leaves Sawyer to check out his new look in the mirror.

In the jungle, Boone climbs the massive tree and gets inside the Beechcraft. Locke looks on helplessly from the ground. Boone finds a map and another body. He jumps back as he find the body and it causes the plane to lurch. Locke calls to Boone to tell him that the plane is very unsteady. Boone is too curious and won't leave. He find statues of the Virgin Mary. He throws one down to Locke and it breaks and reveals 5 bags of heroin were inside. Boone is angry and says this wasn't a sign after all. Then he finds a radio on the dash. He turns it on and hears static. He uses it and makes mayday calls. He hears a muffled voice and attempts to communicate with it until the plane lurches again. Locke yells to Boone to get out but it's too late. The plane slides through the canopy, flips over and crashes to the ground. Locke drags himself over to the plane as his legs begin to come back to him. He finds that Boone is extremely wounded inside. Locke pulls him out, throws him over his shoulder and runs back to camp.

At the caves, Kate thanks Jack for helping Sawyer. Locke comes rushing in with Boone. He tells Jack that it was an accident - that Boone fell off a cliff while they were hunting. Jack sends Kate for towels and water. He turns back for supplies and then asks Locke for more details. He turns to look for Locke and finds that he is gone.

FLASHBACK: Locke wakes up in the hospital and the bed next to him is empty. The nurse tells him that his father checked out already. His mother appears in the doorway and starts to apologize. She says that she needed money and went to Cooper. He told her to find Locke. Locke realizes that it was all a plan to trick him into donating his kidney to his father. Locke gets up from the bed and rips the IV from his arm. He drives to Cooper's estate but the guard, who used to be friendly, is now cold and turns him away. Locke gets out of the car and goes to the gate. He stares into the camera. The guard makes him get into his car and leave. He only drives a few blocks before pulling over and breaking down into tears.

In the jungle, Locke is bent over and kneeling on the hatch. He yells out in pain, feeling betrayed: "I've done everything you've asked me to do! Why?" He bangs on the hatch in frustration. Suddenly a light comes on from inside the hatch....
  • the drug plane

this episode set up a story arch that was touched on in season two. in this episode we learn a great deal about locke. such as he was not always in a wheel chair. while the reason he wound up in a wheel chair was not touched on, the episode did reveal a very strange relationship with his father and mother. both of which he did not know for a long time. in this episode boone gets injured and later died, one of the first main characters to do so. the part of the episode that deals with sawyer's need for glasses was quite funny.
  • One of the best and most classic LOST episodes yet

This is my second favourite episode and with good reason. Since "All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" nothing really happened with the hatch, until now.

This episode also has the best falshback of any character. This episode is about Locke trying to do what the Island asks of him, while Boone follows along. The flashback is about Locke finding his parents and bonding with his father until Locke realizes his father needs a kindney, after Locke give's his father the kindney, his father leaves him and locks him out of his life.

A very exciting episode, especially when Boone is in the beach craft and the plane falls. The music that goes along with the ending both in the flashback and on the island. One of the most eventful and suspensful episode of the whole series. Definitly worth watching.

Locke- I've done everything you wanted me to do, So Why Did You Do This! WHY

LOST

this episode was one the best episodes of the series. i love the parts where the characters are sent signs through dreams. the best parts of this episode where:
    .lockes dream of his mother and a beechcraft crashing.
    .boone falling in the plane when they find it.
    .locke banging on the hatch door then a light shines on.
    this episode was the first one to have someone from the main cast seriously injured. this episode dissapoints you when there is nothing useful in teh beechcraft. it was great to see lockes memorys again, this time this was comes second under hurleys.
  • After a strong first part, a weaker mid part, the lastpart of the season seems to be just as strong as the first one! Deus Ex Machina is a fine example.

This episode, is, excellent. Nothing I can say, really. Last episode was probably the most breathetaking episode.. that cant be beaten. However, this episode is not breathetaking, its just nervewracking, and kinda scary.

This episode has season1's creepiest scene, where Locke has a dream. It's a weird dream, and hard to decypher, but damn, its good.

Locke and Boone cannot open the hatch, so Locke has a vision. But things go wrong soon as Locke loses the ability to walk, again, so Boone is forced to help John. Locke is following his vision,in which in he saw a plane. They locate the plane, however its on the top of a cliff. Since John can't walk, Boone has to climb up and...

In the flashbacks, we find out what was Locke's job before being paralyzed. Also he gets conned(Real Sawyer, anyone?) thus losing his kidney. Very very very sad episode, with a very very sad but incredible ending. If last episode's cliffhanger was brilliant, this is... trilliant.
  • Teresa falls up the stairs, Teresa falls down the stairs. . .

Whoa. When I first saw "Deus Ex Machina", I really wanted the rest of Season One to come. This episode really set the tone for the rest of Lost's freshman season and even the base of Season 2. The plot was amazing, from the Hatch to the plane to Jack, Kate, and Sawyer. This episode was scary, funny, intense, and depressing all in one neat package. The writing was great, and so was the acting, especially from guest star Swoosie Kurtz.
    The camera and the sound effects, especially in the dream sequence, were phenomonal. "Deus Ex Machina" is a really good episode of Lost.
  • Locke: "I've done everything you asked... so why did you do this to me!?!?!"

Locke and Boone are still struggling to get the hatch open. One of Locke's inventions to try to get it open fails, and his leg is wounded. But he doesn't feel the wound, and discovers he can't feel any pain in his legs. That night, he dreams that he saw a plane crash on the island. In his dream, he also saw Boone bloody and injured. He wakes up, and it's dawn. He gets Boone up and they head off into the jungle. Locke believes the dream was a sign from the island, and they head off to find it.

In flashbacks, we learn how Locke met his real father. His father's kidnies are failing, and Locke decides to give him one of his. After that, his father wants nothing else to do with him. He conned Locke into giving him a kidney, then tosses him to the wind. Locke is very hurt emotionally by this.

Meanwhile on the island, Sawyer is suffering from bad headaches, and Jack realizes Sawyer needs glasses. Also, Jin and Michael are making good work on the raft.

Locke and Boone are moving through the jungle when they discover the body of what seems to be a Nigerian priest. However, this priest also has a gun on him. Locke's legs finally give out, and he can no longer walk. It would seem the island took this away from him. Boone carries him on, and they discover the plane from Locke's dream. It's high up, halfway off a cliff, supported only by tree branches. Boone climbs up, and luckily makes it. Inside, he discovers mini Virgin Mary statues, full of heroin. He goes up to the cockpit, and finds a radio that works. "Hello, can anyone read me?" he asks. "We're the surviviors of Oceanic Flight 815, please copy," he says. There's someone else on the line. "No, WE'RE the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815!" the man on the other end says. Next thing you know, the branches holding the plane can't support Boone's weight, and the plane tumbles off the cliff, nose-diving into the ground. Locke works his way over, and it seems the island is allowing him to walk again, slowly. After digging threw stuff inside the plane, he finds Boone, bloody and gashed up. He carries Boone back to the caves, where Jack immediately sets to work on him. Boone is seriously injured. Jack asks Locke what happened, but Locke dissappears, runs off. The episode ends with Locke kneeling over the hatch, crying. Then, a light comes on from inside the hatch, shining up into the night sky.

What an excellent episode. It was so good I watched it again immediately after it aired. This episode sets off a chain of events leading up to the season finale, and inevitably the consequences of this episode and finding the drug plane will be revisited in season two and will play a pivotal role. Not only is the episode extremely important to the plot, it's also very moving. Locke's flashbacks are superb and tragic. And the fact that Boone's life is in Jack's hands is an excellent cliffhanger.
  • This was by far the best episode to date.

What is up with Mr. Locke? From everything we saw from Locke in this episode we would think he has some kind of special powers. Just when you were thinking that Locke was going to have a fairytale relationship with his father he gets a fast one pulled on him. It couldn’t help be leave you hating his dad. Sawyer was thinking that he was carrying baggage look at Locke. He has had some very tough times. Again the father theme has come into play. I enjoyed Sawyer’s side story. Jack had him thinking he could have a brain tumor and all he needs are some reading glasses. The scene in the caves was great.

I loved the scene in the jungle when Locke and Boone found the plane. What was up with Locke losing control of his legs? Judging by the how this episode ended it seems out castaways may get in the hatch soon. Also, will Locke have to tell someone other than Boone about the hatch because of the accident and will Boone recover?
  • Great and Shcoking episode (CONTAINS MINIMAL SPOILERS)

This episode has one of Locke's dream sequences and it is an awsome one. The opening was awsome and left me shocked. This episode foich was proballows after "Numbers" whbly one of the best episodes this season. Thank god they saved this one to show after "Numbers" becuase it just adds to the episode before it. This episode is important to the show.

STARS: **** OUT OF ****

OVERALL: Great follow-up to "Numbers."
  • Great episode.

Locke gets strange dreams, he believes that the island is somehow talking to him showing him signs of what he needs to do. He and Boone goes inland and figures out how to open the hatch. Sawyer begins getting headaches and Jack is reluctant to help him, but Kate forces Sawyer to get help with his headaches. Great episode, Locke becomes obsessed with the hatch. He thinks that he needs to open it. He believes the island is telling him how to open the hatch. He could be hallucinating, we're not sure, but it's a very interesting look at Locke's personality.
  • Locke thinks he's being sent a sign on how to get the hatch open, and he and Boone venture inland. Jack is reluctant to offer assistance when Sawyer begins to experience excruciating headaches and needs glasses.

This episode is about Locke. Locke gets flashbacks of when he meet his birth mother and when he meet his father. Locke's father needed a kidney and so Locke gave him his but Locke's father took advantage of him because now Locke is never let or welcomed in his fathers house. Locke thinks he's being sent a sign on how to get the hatch open, and he and Boone venture inland. Jack is reluctant to offer assistance when Sawyer begins to experience excruciating headaches and needs glasses. My favorite part of this episode is Locke's flashbacks. Well I hope you liked this episode very much.
  • The single greatest hour in television history. There is nothing better than this awesome Locke-centric episode.

LOST is an amazing show.

This is my favorite episode of LOST and I eagerly await the day where another episode takes its place. I refer to it as my favorite episode because it is perfect in every sense. The flashbacks are flawless, there are some hilarious scenes, tons of shocking parts, the writing is amazing, and it moves the plot forward immensely. In my opinion, the flashbacks in this episode are the best of the series, so far. They tell of the time Locke spent with his father immediately after he finds him. Locke was a clerk at a toy store when, one day, his mother came to the store and told him who she was. After this, Locke goes on a search for his father by hiring a private investigator. Things go up from here but, in the end, we realize that Locke's father has conned him. He had acted like he loved him until Locke offered to give Anthony his kidney which is exactly what he was waiting for. After that, he dropped back Locke into the world and wanted nothing to do with him. In the words of Anthony Cooper, Locke was "not wanted." Like every Locke flashback, the story is heart-wrenching and beautifully written.

Nevertheless, the flashbacks are not the main focus of this episode. On the island, Locke and Boone try and try to get the hatch open--they even use a trebuchet--but they never succeed. At this point, the deus ex machina the title refers to comes in, Locke has a vision of Boone standing on the hatch, covered in blood, repeating "Theresa falls down the stairs. Theresa falls down the stairs." In the vision, Locke is thrown back into his wheelchair and he sees a beachcraft crash on the island. It is one of the scariest LOST scenes of all time and I refuse to watch it with the lights out. This leads Locke to believe that the plane he saw was real and that the island was sending him a sign. So, in pure Locke fashion, he enlists Boone to help him find it. They do find it; but, when Boone is up in the plane using the radio, the plane falls from the canopy and Boone is severely injured. Later that night, Locke is seen banging on the hatch screaming the heavens about what he is supposed to do. It is at this time that an infamous moment in LOST happens, a light comes on inside the hatch and it shines right into Locke's face. Scary stuff. I'm sure everyone was talking about this for weeks after the episode aired.

Other than that, there are some really funny scene's between Jack and Sawyer about Sawyer's constant headaches and the fact that he needs glasses.

(About Sawyer's glasses)
    Hurley: Dude, it looks like someone steamrolled Harry Potter.

Funniest. Line. Ever.
  • Review

I thought that Damon and Carlton wrote this episode very well and I think that Lost in general is finishing out Season 1 very strong. I thought that John Lockes flashback in this episode was ten times better then the flashback that he had earlier in the season. Finding out that he was conned by his father into giving up his kidney was a surprising twist. I thought the scenes between Locke and Boone were great in this episode and I hope that Boone makes a full recovery from his fall off the plane. One thing that was interesting to me was the radio transmission that Boone picked up. It sounded like someone said "We are also the survivors of flight 815" but I couldnt really make out what they were saying. I thought the troubles that Locke went through in his flashback tied in very well to the sturggles that were going on on the island. I enjoyed the ending as well, which left us with a huge cliffhanger with the light going on from the hatch.
  • "I've done everything you wanted me to do. So why did you do this to me?!"

Without a doubt this is one of the best Lost episodes ever. The emotional content and mysterious reveals are almost impossible to top, and the flashbacks, the acting, the music, the direction, the writing, everything is done perfectly. This episode will endure possibly more than Walkabout, because of the added mystery elements, and the wounding of Boone, which will make the next episode so good.

The events that happen on the island are terrific. For the first time, cracks appear in Locke’s seemingly unwavering faith. When the trebuchet bounces off the hatch window without even creating a scratch, Locke can’t take it. He becomes the man in the wheelchair from Walkabout, angry at everything-he yells at the hatch, the island, and snaps at Boone. Then, within hours, he finds that the feeling has left his legs. The island does not heal you without a price, it seems. As soon as Locke’s faith wavers, his legs waver as well. The dream that Locke has is also incredibly important, because virtually every aspect will give hints as to what is to come. Locke hears the plane going down and then a crash-obviously, the Beechcraft plane did go down and crash on the island. Then, we see Boone with the injuries that will be inflicted on him when the plane falls with him in it. He’s also muttering “Theresa falls up the stairs. Theresa falls down the stairs.” Theresa, his nanny, was accidentally killed by Boone. The injuries and the message of death also will become important later on. You also hear the sound of pottery breaking. The same sound effect is used when Boone throws the Virgin Mary statue out the plane’s window. Then, Emily Locke appears, points skyward, and a creaking sound accompanies her arm moving. The pointing shows where the plane is, the creak is the noise it makes when Boone shifts it, and the presence of Emily, who is mentally unstable, shows that the quest will not be a sane thing to do. Lastly, Locke is back in his wheelchair, showing the complete loss of his legs.

Boone and Locke set out anyway, and as Locke’s faith wavers, he stumbles. They find a body in the jungle-the corpse of a Nigerian guy dressed as a priest, carrying a 9mm. Don’t even ask me how Locke can identify the Nigerian naira so quickly, because I don’t know. Anyway, they finally reach the plane, Locke’s own deus ex machina (God from the machine, or something that comes out of nowhere to set everything right and explain lots of mysteries). Then, the dream starts making itself a reality. Boone tells the Theresa story, and Locke’s legs shut down entirely. The Beechcraft is found perched in the tree canopy. Boone crawls inside, finds another body, and throws the heroin out the window, breaking the ceramics. Also, make sure to remember that it’s heroin in the statues. Could it be coincidence that the drug Charlie just gave up has been discovered in vast quantities on the island? I don’t think so. Anyway, Boone shifts the plane when he goes to the radio, making the creaking sound. Obviously, this was not a very sane mission to try and accomplish, and that’s when realization hits Locke. Every part of his dream has come true, except for Boone being covered in blood. I don’t think Locke is desperately yelling at Boone to leave the plane just because it’s shaking. I think he realized that Boone is going to look like his dream self, unless he gets out of the plane now. Of course, Boone makes one last discovery before the plummet. He gets a call out of the radio, but is left with the cryptic message, “No, we’re the survivors of Flight 815.” What that might mean is soon forgotten. The plane falls, and Boone’s injuries become reality. Locke regains power in his legs, and takes Boone to Jack, before disappearing into the forest.

Now to the flashbacks. Locke says to Boone at the beginning of the episode, “My story would bore you.” Wrong! Locke’s story this episode is once again heartbreaking. Meeting Emily is weird, and the audience can tell she’s disturbed before Frainey tells us she was in a mental institution (the same mental institution Hurley was in, by the way). Anthony Cooper, however, seems like a nice guy, and it’s only natural for Locke to want to give him his kidney, in exchange for the love that Cooper has shown him. The writing for Cooper is terrific, because we never expect for an instant that he might be a bad guy. Unfortunately, neither does Locke. The last flashback is so incredibly sad, and yet infuriating at the same time. We feel Locke’s betrayal with him, and also his sadness at losing the one man he was close to. We realize that Frainey was right when he said this wasn’t meant to be. Locke thought it was, he even said as much right before the surgery. After Cooper’s betrayal, it’s surprising Locke trusts anybody again, as his terrible life has just continued, not improved. Once again, Michael Giacchino’s Locke theme doesn’t just tug at the heartstrings, it rips them out by force, and makes the scene even more emotional, if that were possible. The transition from flashbacks to island action is done spectacularly. Locke is the same man crouched over the hatch as he is driving erratically in his car. Broken and defeated by his circumstances once again. But, when the light comes on in the hatch, the circumstances seem to have changed for Locke, and when we next see him, he’ll have regained his faith. Terry O’Quinn is a marvel in this episode, and I think he delivers an Emmy worthy performance. It’s definitely the best performance of Season 1.

On a side note, there’s a great piece of direction in the flashbacks-three times we think that we’re going to find out how Locke ended up in the wheelchair. When he gets hit by the car, when he wakes up after the surgery and the nurse seems oddly sympathetic, and when he flips out in his car. Each time, we think he’s about to be put in his wheelchair, but he isn’t. That will be revealed at a later date.

The subplot of this episode provides some much needed humor to juxtapose against the high levels of drama in the other storyline. Josh Holloway is great here and the look on his face when Jack diagnoses Sawyer with hyperopia is utterly hilarious. Not as hilarious as Hurley’s line though: “Dude, looks like someone steamrolled Harry Potter.” The plot doesn’t really have an ultimate point, but it does what a subplot is supposed to-provides relief from the main plot. On a positive note, though, this is one of the funniest subplots there is.

Deus is certainly one of the best episodes of Season 1. There’s really only the problem of the rather pointless subplot that prevents this episode from being absolutely perfect, but it is pretty much forgotten when you look back on the episode and all the good things. If you’re only going to watch three episodes from Season 1, make sure this is one of them.
< 1 2