Lost

Do No Harm

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 06, 2005 on ABC

• Awesome.

Boone reveals to Jack that he and Locke have discovered the hatch, and Locke has told him not to tell anybody else. Despite Jack's extensive attempts to save him, Boone dies. Claire goes into labor and gives birth to a boy. Flashbacks show Jack's wedding to Sarah, a former patient whom he had "fixed" after she was injured in a car accident. Wow, this episode is like one of the best in season one, I love the storyline, everything about it was awesome, Jack trying to save Boone with his own blood, Claire in labor and Jack's back story! The ending was so sad - I was crying my eyes out, everytime I watch it - I loved the way they did it, somebody dies and then somebody is born. I loved it!
  • Pure Drama!!!!!

This episode focused only in Drama, maybe too much.

The weak point in this episode is Jack flashback. They have no importance, only for Jack fans, since if you are, you will be glad to discover some more information about him. Other than that, nothing important, just to fill the episode.

Boone condition was well done, now I understand why I didn´t died in the last episode, was to create this painful scenes to watch. Of course, the writers managed to keep this, until the very end of this episode.

Claire baby is born, she having complications at the same time that Jack was taking care of Boone, at the beginning seemed interesting, but then, it just feel that they need to put this claire having baby plot somewhere (like this episode), just to fill this episode and not interfere into the next ones.

The usual CliffHanger was more weak this time, since you could predited this a miles away.

Overall a great episode, but with the lack of some lost myth, surprises, twists and a good CliffHanger, this episode only can get a 8 this time. This episode can´t be compared with the previous ones.
  • Best episode of season 1

One person is born and one person dies on the island. Boone is in an accident in the jungle, and only a slightly paralyzed Locke is there to take him to the cave. Kate finds Claire and she goes into labor. Jack is preoccupied with Boone, so Kate must deliver the baby. Sayid and Shannon go on a romantic getaway. What makes me SO MAD is that Shannon's step-brother is DYING and people don't bother trying to go get her. The end was extremely sad, as Boone dies and his final thoughts and words are about Shannon. Even sadder is Shannon breaking down by Boone's body the next morning. The fact that the only person Shannon had on the island is now gone. A great episode
  • I was surprised!

It shouldn't have happened. Boone had contributed so much to them, then he dies? It wouldn't have happened if Locke didn't lie about what happened, that way the proper treatment would have been given. I still like Locke, and I really liked Boone, but I hated it when Locke did that.

Claire has a baby...f that. The baby may have been important to the story, but it wasn't to me. The ending depressed me, with everyone all happy when Boone died. So what there was a baby. There was also a DEATH! I would focus on that, not the freakin baby.

Enough said though. Good episode. One of the best.
  • Death comes for one of the island's castaways

Everybody's been suffering a lot of stress ever since the crash, but of all the castaways, Jack has never been able to take a breath. He's had to be the doctor, the lifesaver, the leader, and a hero. But, outside of comic books, no man can be a hero all the time, and this is never more obvious then the way we see Jack during this episode. It's also clear that while all the pressure is killing him, the biggest amount of strain has always come from within

The irony is that Jack has always been like this, as we can tell when he flashes back to his engagement to Sarah, a former patient whose life he saved in a car accident. (We're going to learn more about her in other episodes.) Now, you would think that remembering the day you got married would be pleasant, but like almost every other flashback, there's definitely a lot of pain here. What's going on with Sarah is probably a case of transference, and Jack should know far better than to take it to this length. But as his father tells him, "You have a problem letting go." This could be considered more poison from Christian, but by now we know it's the god's truth. That's why he became a doctor, that's why he got married, that's why he expects so much of other people, and is infuriated when they do not come through for him.

All of this is tested when he tries to save Boone's life. From the beginning, Jack has to know that it would take a miracle for him to save Boone. But unlike Locke (where the hell is he, anyway?) Jack doesn't believe in miracles. He keeps promising everybody that he will, and is willing to literally shed his blood for Boone, but it's not going to be enough, and deep down he knows it. But just like when the marshal dying, he can not bring himself to pull away from this. Boone has to tell him that he knows it's hopeless before Jack nearly does something far nastier.

What aggravates this crisis is that one is playing across the beach simultaneously- Claire has begun to go into labor. With Jack unable to help, he turns to Kate to try and help get her through it. This is unusual, as Kate and Claire have had little to do with each other up until now, but she comes through like the champ she is. Both women are obviously terrified by this, and Claire is even more fragile because she's convinced that this baby somehow senses that she didn't want it, along with the obvious fears that about having to raise it here. The scenes with the two are very strong.

Out of these emergencies, a couple of heroes arise. As Boone continues to weaken Sun serves as Jack's unofficial nurse. Right now, her work with herbal remedies have been very helpful, but she doesn't flinch from either the blood that's being shed or the worsening of the situation. On the contrary, she actually butts heads with Jack over a couple of decisions, including his unilateral one to try an amputation. We've known Sun is stronger than she looks, but this is the first episode where she demonstrates that there is steel in her spine.

Meanwhile, Jin tries to overcome the language barrier, and help aid with Claire's labor. He hears her cries, and runs like mad to get Jack's help. And even though it's clear that he doesn't like having to have Sun translate for him, he is more than willing to do so in order to keep Claire safe. Furthermore, when the actual labor begins, and Charlie, who is understandably concerned wants to assist, he holds him back, wordlessly telling him that this is a moment that he should not interfere. (And kudos to the writers for having Jin and Sun where they are; any others would have reversed it.) The episode also brings out some of the others. Charlie is willing to do everything he can to help Jack get the blood he needs, only to be faced with the unhappy truth that most people don't know their own blood type. Sawyer, who was such a son of a jerk about giving over his supplies in earlier episodes, is willing to give all the alcohol he has over to Kate with no questions asked. (Then again, maybe Kate had to remind him of carte blanche) And Michael, who could never imagine that his work of engineering who lead him into a situation like this, is willing to help Jack figure out how to amputate. However, the two other men who have been the most help in these kinds of problems are nowhere to be found. We're not sure where Locke is (and by the end of the episode, it's pretty clear he'd do well not to run into Jack) but Sayid is off in the beaches on a date with Shannon. This is the one part of the episode that I have a problem with. I know that this was mostly dramatic license to keep Shannon offstage until the episode ended, but really, Boone's is in such a bad way, it didn't occur to anybody that maybe someone should try and find her and tell her that her brother's dying? I realize that two crisis hit simultaneously, but you'd think that maybe Hurley or Rose would have made an effort. And Sayed surely had to deal with similar situations during the Gulf War, no one thought to try and find him? There's probably not much that he could've done, but still… (I'll bring up my problems with Shannon and Sayid's relationship when we get there) Then there's the problem where Shannon tells Syed that Boone is her stepbrother, and that he is in love with her (but mercifully doesn't go into detail) but that she wants them to work around him if they're going to have a relationship. Newsflash, that won't be an obstacle (not that'll make much difference either)

In the end, Boone finally succumbs from his injuries, and we all feel a little tug. This is the first major character on the show to die, and you can't help but feel a little tug when he dies, unable to finish whatever he wanted to tell Shannon (and it's telling that his last thoughts were of her) Shannon didn't think that she needed Boone, but she does. Whenever he's gone, she's a different person, dependent and paranoid (not that she's much nicer when he was alive) Now he's gone forever, and she feels utterly lost. The silent sequence where Jack tells her what happened to her brother was probably Maggie Grace's finest hour on the series, as she just silently collapses. IT might have been more interesting to follow her character and see how she deals with out him, but unfortunately, the island won't give her much of a chance to mourn.

The episode features some great work, including the usually stalwart performance of Matthew Fox, as a man quietly imploding, as well as fin work from Yunjun Kim, Lilly, and De Ravin (her first real big moment since Claire reappeared a few days ago). It also features good work by Julie Bowen as the future Mrs. Jack Shepherd.

'Do No Harm' is one of the most exhausting and draining episodes mainly because there is so much anguish after Boone dies. Other major characters will die as well, but few would cause as much pain with their deaths And Jack, unlike the rest of the island, doesn't stop to mourn. He's been pissed at Locke for awhile, and now he has a legitimate reason to confront him.
    My score: 9.8
  • Fix you

When you try your best, but you don't succeed
    When you get what you want, but not what you need
    When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep
    Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face
    When you lose something you can't replace
    When you love someone, but it goes to waste
    Could it be worse?

And I will try to fix you

And high up above or down below
    When you're too in love to let it go
    But if you never try you'll never know
    Just what you're worth

Tears stream down your face
    When you lose something you cannot replace
    And I...

Tears stream down on your face
    I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
    And I...

Coldplay, Fix you.
  • We have the medical emergency in and around Boone, with everyone trying to help, meanwhile there is also a baby to deliver, not to mention that the everyday tasks need to be completed.

We start with the medical emergency left over from last week, that of Boone, trying to sort him out, as he gets a collapsed lung, his leg is busted, he is busy sorting out all of the medical issues, getting people to run errands and help in small ways. Kate runs off to the beach to get Sawyers alcohol supply, then on the way back she runs into Claire, who is having contractions.

We flash back onto Jack, in a tailors getting a friend all dressed up in a tuxedo, then we discover that Jack is the groom, then its off to a scene of a wedding practice where we find out that it was Jack who had patched her up and made her walk.

Shannon and Sayid go off on a romantic venture on the beach, where Shannon explains some of the past experiences, explains things and they agreee to take things slow and they continue to enjoy their time together.

We have Charlie running around trying to find out what blood group everyone is, Jack is trying to devise a way to get a hollow point needle and other things, whilst Jin eventually gets back to the camp and explain the situation regarding Claire going into labour. Jack gets Charlie and Jin to go back and to help Kate deliver Claire's baby.

We have the flashback where Sarah is declaring her love for Jack, that they decided to write their own vows, Jack's father arrives and finds Jack with his feet in the pool and they are talking through, whether it is right to mary or is it time to let go.

That decision is then found on the island as we discover that the blood transfusion did not work, that the leg is dead and needs to be amputated. Sun tries to stop it, as Boone is bleeding internally, she advises him to stop it, but he doesn't.

We then flashback to Sarah giving her vows to Jack at their wedding, then Jack goes through his own version of his vows, but he does go through with them.

Boone stops them amputating his leg, but Jack won't let Boone give up, but Boone begs Jack to let him go as he's in too much pain, he doesn't blame Jack and never will. Kate, Jin and Charlie help Claire deliver the baby, a little boy, which is more or less delivered at the same time that Boone passes.

As everyone gathers around to see the baby the following morning, Sayid and Shannon return, leaving Jack with the task of telling Shannon about Boone. Jack is on the beach and Kate tries to come and consol him about Boones death, Jack says that he did not die that he was murdered and heads of to find John Locke.
  • A Jack-centric episode of Lost.

Let me just start out by saying that I personally believe that this is the best episode yet of Lost. It was so well written and so well acted by everyone involved. It was definitely a very sad episode. I really liked the symbolism that this episode had regarding the cycle of life with the death of Boone and the birth of Claire's son, Aaron. I also really liked the flashback's of Jack life before the plane crashed on the island. They were definitely both very shocking and revealing. Another thing that I really enjoyed about this episode was Claire's story line. Emilie de Ravin (Claire) did a great job of acting in this episode. I really liked the whole story line between Sayid and Shannon too. All things considered, this really was one of the best episodes yet of Lost, and it was definitely a very sad and memorable episode too.
  • I cried (not sobbing) during the whole Aaron being born, Boone dying part.

Obituary for Boone Carlyle: Boone was 22 when he died. His mother married Shannon's father when he was ten and he fell in love with Shannon. He spent some time in NYC. He wanted to help Shannon when she was having financial problems but she refused and he became COO (or something like that) of his mother's wedding company. Reason for travel: To "rescue" Shannon (but it was a con) and when her con backfired, he couldn't resist her advances and they slept together. They boarded Oceanic flight 815 after they decided to go back to the way they were before, he attempted saving Rose but went to get pens for Jack who succeeded saving Rose. He finally got over Shannon when Locke drugged him. He fell from a Nigerian plane after he and Locke found a hatch leading to his death. He told Jack to let go and he will be missed.
  • Jack: (to Boone) You are not gonna die. I'm gonna fix this, ok? I am going to save you.

Boone reveals to Jack that he and Locke have discovered the hatch, and Locke has told him not to tell anybody else. Despite Jack's extensive attempts to save him, Boone dies. Claire goes into labor and gives birth to a boy. Flashbacks show Jack's wedding to Sarah, a former patient whom he had "fixed" after she was injured in a car accident. Emotional episodehad me nearly crying, were new life is death is not far, Do no harm was the saddest episode of the first season, I thought I would miss boone and I have, but he left at the right time.
  • Life and death

Life and death - light and dark - Lost is the show of the opposites.

Boone dies, Claire's baby is born -- that's the episode in a nutshell.

If you knew before watching that the writers will spend a whole episode on sending off Boone you probably would've felt let down... "isn't that boring?"

Not at all. To date, this is the most emotional episode of Lost with some brilliant performances by Ian Somelhader and Matthew Fox.

The "weak" point of this episode is, unfortunately, the flashback. The concept was great, but it just felt somewhat dull and a distraction from the island plot. Jack's marriage with a woman nobody could fix only Jack. The writers are cruel. And so is Giacchino. The whole death scene was just so emotional. But if anything, the reaction to it by Shannon was even worse. She just had an amazing night with Sayid, only to walk back to the beach and find that Boone died. This is the scene where Giacchino brought tears in my eyes with his beautiful score.

This episode was real drama - with Jack desperately trying to fix Boone. Claire's baby is born. While it's a big event, it just felt like a sideplot, however it was a comic relief for sure - Jack couldn't help her, so Kate delivered the baby with the help of Jin and Charlie.

Overall, a very well composed episode with almost zero development in the island - plot. Even the ending... Jack going off to find John Locke as he claims he murdered Boone. Gave me goosebumps, but it doesn't contribute to the island. But that's not a problem - this is a character driven drama in the first place. The real issue was the flashback once again as it proved to be nothing more than useless distraction and filler at times. However other than that, excellent episode...
  • The most uncomfortable hour of Lost so far sends fan wincing, squirming, screaming and crying....in that order!

Jack does the Hatrick by managing to be the first (and only) character to have three superb flashback episodes. They have all been different. White Rabbit was sinister, All The Best Cowboys.... was adventurous and this one is harrowing.
    This is the highest rated episode of Season 1 that is not as layered as the others. It does have a narrower focus than some of them. But that narrow focus just like much of Deus Ex Machina, in which it focuses on a particular events, does little to harm the episode. There are two focuses in this episode: Jack's heroic attempts to save Boone and Kate's heroic attempts [with help from Jin and Charlie] to deliver Claire's baby. The two events work in tandem very well indeed and both push the momentum of the episode forward.
    Do no Harm is at times very harrowing and, even though you don't see much the suggestion offered by the writers is enough to make you squirm. Just the sound of the Cargo Container door sliding up is enough to make even the most thick skinned person to flinch away. It is gripping entertainment and you can't help but watch, even if it is a bit gruesome. You really feel that you are in that situation and you are with the characters screaming at the television.
    The simultaneous events of Boone's death and the birth of Claire's baby is very emotional and also somewhat mysterious. Had Boone been sacrificed not just for Locke's attempt to get into the Hatch but for Claire's baby to be born. Or will Lost go in the direction of reincarnation. Is Boone's soul in the baby? If this is the case will Shannon feel a connection to the baby? Will she offer to take care of it in future episodes? You would, of course, assume that Charlie will take up the position of island-babysitter.
    Talking of scarifices, Do no Harm is devoid of any ongoing mythological plot threads. This could have been damaging to this episode for those who are only after answers. The episodes I think are the best and those I long for are those that mix both character stuff with the mythology and this one interestingly doesn't. However, the character drama in this particular hour is so intense and interesting that you forget that there are no mystery elements. If you are going to have a pure character-based episode this is a fine example of what they should be.
    Another amazing episode from a breathtaking trilogy of episodes which began with Numbers and ended with this one.
    The writers would begin to cool the pace off slightly before the season finale.
  • The death of a person...and the life of a new one.

Jack has flashbacks of his wedding. He married a woman named Sarah whom he saved.

Jack tends to Boone as he is severley injured. Sun and others also help. Claire goes into labor, deep inside the forest. Kate, Charlie and Jin help her out. Boone tells Jack about the hatch, the plane and Locke saying not to tell anyone. Boone then dies. Jack suspects Locke of murdering Boone after Locke lies about how Boone got injured. Claire successfully has her baby boy! Sayid and Shannon spend a romantic evening together, but Shannon doesn't know about Boone.

This episode was sad and happy! Boone dying didn't affect me too much, especially since I knew about it before I saw it. I was happy when Claire had her baby! This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • Gained a baby but lost Boone

I have to say that this is by far one of the best episodes of the season. I thought it was pretty sad how we lost Boone but I was happy that Claire finally delivered her baby and it was healthy. It's a real shame that it took Boone dying for Shannon to realize how important Boone was to her. I like how they made the death for Boone symbolic for the birth of Claire's baby. Locke feels somewhat responsible even though he doesn't show it. I think if he would have just come clean about the hatch in the first place, Boone may still be alive. What an amazing episode.
  • Emotional episode

Do No Harm was a very emotional episode of LOST to say the very least. On one hand, you lose Boone. However, I must say the way he was killed off was great. Not that it was great to see him go. But it was just so emotional and tearful. The writers did well. On the other hand, you gain Aaron. After all this time Claire finally has her baby. I really love that scene. There was some good acting by Emilie and Evi. And Jin and Charlie were pretty funny after the baby was born. So you lose a life, and gain one. You were sad and happy at the same time. A very emotional episode; nicely done.
  • This episode is absolutely amazing.

This episode is the best episode in the series. Boone's death and Aaron's birth happen simultaneously, and Shannon cries over Boone's body along with an amazing piece of score music. Boone was my favorite character, and Shannon and Boone were my favorite couple. Her loss of him is absolutely devastating. In the final 8 minutes of the episode, you go from drama and tears to joy and birth and happiness and at the end, you're left with a great cliffhanger. (Although, I do wish they would have ended on a bittersweet note, and waited until the next episode to do the suspense.) This episode completes the whole season for me.
  • Jack tries to save Boone's life and forces Kate to deliver Claire's baby.

Jack does everything in his power to try and save Boone's life including pouring his own blood into Boone's arm. Jack does not want to let Boone die because he promised him that he would live. Meanwhile Claire unexpectedly starts having her baby!

Sun is amazing in this episode, I love the way she convinces Jack to just accept it and realize that he can't save everyone. Jack decides that he doesn't want to leave Boone for death so he tells Kate that she has to deliver Claire's baby.

Jin, Charlie, and Kate are all there to see Claire's baby born. Locke does not appear in this episode because he is having trouble dealing with Boone's death. In the end, Boone dies by choice and Claire has a beautiful boy. Jack wants to find Locke because he thinks that Locke murdered Boone.
  • A great way to go out.

As Jack tries to save a dying Boone, Claire goes into labor, forcing Kate to act as a midwife. Sayid surprises Shannon with a romantic date on the beach. Boone dies, and Claire gives birth to a son. Jack remembers his wedding with Sarah.
    This episode cept me on the edge of my seat from the begining to end much like the whole first season of lost.
    I was sad to see my favourite characyer at the time die and I was very upset to see it happen but look on the bright side where there is death there is life.
    I think this episode is underated and should get more credit.
  • Jack (once again) has an episode almost entirely to himself. Oh, and Claire has her baby.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
    During this episode, we see Jack trying to accept death, through various flashbacks and the present event of Boone's accident. While done entertainingly well, I've become increasingly tired of Jack's past. It's a been there, done that sort of thing. Refreshingly, however, Claire's baby finally makes it's arrival, though without much of the impact it should have had. I did like Charlie's involvement, however little it was. I didn't like the way this huge event was watered down into a subplot for a Jack episode. Another problem I had was Locke's sudden change of character. He goes from calm to psycho for no reason, even lying flat out about Boone's accident. You feel as though his character were purposely warped just so that Boone could be injured and Jack could have another episode focused entirely on him.
  • "Because I'm not good at letting go."

Jack finally admits what most of the audience has already been able to grasp. Jack has terrible difficulty in letting go of things he starts. He was up until the point of dehydration and near death right after the plane crash, he chased Ethan even after he was knocked senseless, and here he refuses to give up on Boone even though he’s supposed to do no harm (instead, he plans to hack off the poor guy’s leg). Boone’s destruction makes for a very moving, if not rather gruesome, storyline.

The extent of Boone’s injuries are much more severe than what we thought at the end of last episode (although we had some other things on our mind, then, didn’t we?). The makeup artists deserve a mention here, because the application of Boone’s blood/holes/other problems is very well done. Ian Somerhalder also does a great job in this episode, and it’s fitting, because it’s his last appearance as a living person. It’s also a great way to show Jack’s problems with commitment, with him refusing to give up on someone who’s clearly going to die. Boone has to tell Jack to stop, and uses the same words that Rose spoke in Walkabout-“I’m letting you off the hook.” Boone’s demise fulfills the producers’ prophecy that one of the fourteen characters would not be alive for Season 2. It’s very sad that we’ve lost one of the people we’ve grown close to this season, and, even though Boone is not really a main character, it’s still a moving moment when he finally dies. His last words are also very nice-“Tell Shannon I…” love her.

The medical emergency does get a little graphic, and I have a feeling this was told to the producers, because there’s nothing as gruesome as this in the next two seasons. The gory aspect of the story is a little jarring, but makes the fact that Boone’s dying a lot more real than it would have been otherwise. I also like that Boone’s emergency incorporates almost all of the characters. Aside from Sun’s knowledge of medicine, Michael, Kate, Sawyer, Charlie, Hurley, and Jin all pitch in to help Jack out. Everyone brings some different knowledge/running for help to the crisis, and it makes for some nice unity among the survivors.

The flashbacks in this episode deliver a very good message about Jack, but they’re pretty distracting from the emotion on the island, to be honest. It’s hard to care about Jack’s marriage when one of the characters on the island is dying. The fact that we jump into the wedding story in the middle is also a problem. There will be two further Jack flashback episodes in Season 2 that will present the beginning and end of this story, and it would seem to be a better idea to start with the beginning flashback for story purposes. However, the middle segment has the best message of failing to let go, so it has to be put into this episode. Trying to comprehend the story of the flashbacks is a little difficult, though. A good thing about the flashbacks is the presence of a happy Christian Shephard. Up to this point, Christian has appeared overbearing, and not a very good dad. Obviously, even the worst dad has his moments, and I for one like seeing Christian and Jack’s pretty close relationship. John Terry is fantastic once again here.

As one of the castaways dies, another is born. Claire finally goes into labor after nineteen episodes, and she picks the perfect time, when the doctor isn’t available. Therefore, Kate has to step up into a leadership position and bring Claire’s baby into the world. The other guests at the baby’s birth are likely and unlikely. Charlie is a natural, and it’s also probably that he will become the surrogate father to Claire’s baby. However, what’s Jin doing there? The presence of Jin is a little odd, but him constantly being involved with children (putting his hand on Claire’s stomach, being at the birth, looking at Walt with an affectionate look while cuffed to the plane, etc.) will become important in the next season. He also speaks to Sun for the first time since learning she spoke English, although it’s strictly business, reporting Claire’s condition.

The third plot (how did they cram so much in this episode?) is Sayid and Shannon on a romantic getaway. Obviously, they don’t need to travel to a remote island-they’re already on one-but Sayid still whips up a very nice beach spot for the two of them. This is the first time Shannon has confessed to someone that hers and Boone’s relationship is not strictly platonic. Sayid takes the news in stride-it’s just unfortunate that Shannon could not have been with Boone when he died.

The last act of this episode is absolutely brilliant. There are only a couple lines of dialogue at the very end, but you don’t need any. Michael Giacchino’s heartbreaking “Life and Death” theme works beautifully, and Shannon getting the news about Boone’s loss works perfectly without any words being said. The scene when she breaks down over his body is also very emotional. Jack’s last words of the episode will propel the relationship between him and Locke for the next season, and Locke’s noticeable absence from this episode is mysterious-until we remember that the last scene of Deus took place at night, and the last thing we saw on the island was in daytime. Apparently, Locke’s been hanging out by the hatch all night, and his reappearance will not be welcomed.

I think that this is a pretty good episode. I don’t think it’s perfect, mostly because of the flashbacks, which are more annoying than enlightening. The rest of the episode moves smoothly, though. The acting, music, emotion, and action all click together quite well. There are only four episodes left this year, and Boone’s death will certainly play a part in what happens in those four episodes.
  • After Boone is basically crushed by a plane, Jack attempts to save his life. Claire is shocked when she begins to have her baby.

This is the EXACT reason why I love LOST. This has got to be my favorite season 1 episode, by far. The Shannon and Sayid thing reals appeals to me, especially since Shannon is such a . . . unique charater. I really enjoyed seeing Jack be pushed to his limits, and watching how he fell to pieces. Charlie is even more of a favorite of mine after the end of this episode, and his chemistry with Claire is terrific. I LOVE seeing Sun being such a great help around camp, even after she broke up with Jin. All in all, this was an amazing episode.
  • Jack does all he can to save a fatally wounded Boone. Kate, Charlie and Jin help to deliver Claire's baby. Locke abandons Boone.

Great episode! This was one that I truly enjoyed from start to finish. Even though I knew that Boone was going to die, I was still on the edge of my seat. The acting was great, and the climax with Jack having to tell Shannon the tragic news was extremley moving.

The idea of a birth and a death at the same time was very well thought out, and again, the ending with a birth and a death was very moving.

Also, a very nice flashback story from Jack, it was interesting to discover whether or not he did truly love his wife the way that he should was interesting.

Great Acting + Great Stories = LOST
  • After Boone fell in the abandoned airplane, Jack now has to try and save his life, while he he recalls the events leading up to his marriage. Meanwhile, Claire goes into a very unexpected labor, and Kate is the only one who can deliver her baby.

This episode blended the feelings of happy and sad splendidly together. Though Boone died from his injuries, new life also came to the island once Claire gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. The acting in this episode was incredible, and the end montage was one of Lost's most tearjerking moments. This is definitely one of the best episodes in the first season, and really shows how dramatic Lost can get.
  • Review

I thought this episode was perfect in every way...with three main storylines all coming to a conclusion which should make for an interesting final couple of episodes. I thought Jacks flashback was interesting, getting to see the woman that he married (and is now divorced from I would assume since he is flirting with Kate). I like how the writers tied the "Letting Go" into the main island scene with Boone where Jack was bound and determined to continue to try and save Boone. Jacks "Dont tell me what I cant do" line was pretty much what the final four episodes are going to be about I think. I believe that Locke and Jack are going to go at it and I think the writers are trying to connect them in as many ways as possible leading up to how different they are...or something like that. Claire finanly having the baby was a relief as now we might finnaly start getting some new Claire-Charlie drama. Boone dying was a little sad because Ian played the part very well and I liked Boones character a lot. However, I do respect the writers for writing off a big name character this season, showing that anything truly is possible on Lost.
  • Sad, action packed, and just plain fantastic!

Jack and Sun try to save Boone's life, while Locke goes missing. Kate goes to fetch some alcohol for his injuries, and encounters Claire in labour, in the middle of the jungle. With Jin and Charlie's help, she delivers her baby and goes back to camp to learn Boone has died. Jack wants revenge on Locke. The start of the rivalry between Jack and Locke. This episode made you cry tears of sadness and joy.
  • -

I absolutely love this episode. The on island stuff is Lost at its best! Claire finally has her baby, and Boone dies. The only complaint I have about it, is the flashbacks. I've seen this episode countless times, and I still don't like Jack's flashback in the episode. I thought it was quite boring. However, the on-island stuff, completely makes up for it. This is definitely one of my favorite episodes. The scene where Claire walks out on the beach with her new baby, and Jack goes to tell Shannon about Boone is such a powerful scene. Truly a great episode.
  • so sad , but brilliant .

in my opinion , this is as strong as tv can possibly get . i have the dvd box set for the first season , and everytime i watch this episode , i always cry . always . the main things that happen in this episode are that claire has her baby , and the worst , that boone , after much pain and suffering , eventually tells jack to let him go , that its too late . jack heeds him , and boone then dies . i have yet to meet a person who watched that episode and didnt cry . so sad , but so brilliant .
  • Jack tends to a severely wounded Boone after Locke returns him to the caves. In the confusion, Locke slips away to deal with his guilt over the crisis. Meanwhile, Claire unexpectedly goes into labor while deep in the forest.

This episode is about Jack Jack tends to a severely wounded Boone after Locke returns him to the caves. In the confusion, Locke slips away to deal with his guilt over the crisis. Jack thinks that Locke murdered Boone but it was not true because what really happened was that he was squished by a plane and now Jack accuses Locke of murder. At the end Boone tells Jack about the hatch and then he dies for lack of blood and because one of his lungs collapsed. Meanwhile, Claire unexpectedly goes into labor. I hope you liked this episode very much.
  • Awesome.

Boone gets himself into an accident, Locke brings him back to the cave. Jack tends to his wounds. Claire goes into labor while venturing in the forest. So much happens in this episode. Jack couldn't tend to two patients at once so he needs to find a way to help both. Jack's having a tough day. Things get complicated when Locke takes off leaving Boone in the cave. Jack tries so hard to help out Boone. This is a very suspenseful episode, all kinds of crazy stuff happens on the island. It's really entertaining. But the whole episode plays out really well.
  • Three episode in a row that were great, "Numbers" "Dues Ex Mechina" and "Do No Harm" (CONTAINS MINIMAL SPOILERS)

The above says all there is to know about this episode. With so much going on it is awsome from beginning to end. The only thing is, we lose one of the Lost characters forever. The first character to die in this series and they did it very well. STARS: **** OUT OF ****

OVERALL: Great music, ending, and epsiode for the Lost series.
< 1 2