Lost

Eggtown

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 21, 2008 on ABC

• About Kate, but more about Locke

"Eggtown" is Kate's flashforward about her day in court for murdering her father, but it's also another power-mad Locke is a prick episode. He's so unlikable, and he tries to be such a god-like character, but he's nothing more then the loser he is off the island.
  • Omg I was waiting for Kate's flash-forward because she is one of my favorite characters on LOST. FANTASTIC episode, top to bottom SPOILERS INSIDE....

I'm sorry if most of the people in the forums say it was predictable, I believe if you read spoilers or theories even then it wouldn't be predictable because the writing on this episode kept you second guessing throughout. I remember once someone on this forum saying something about Kate referring to Aaron as the "he will be wondering where I am" to Jack in the S3 finale, but I always thought why would someone say that unless someone read spoilers and the spoiler revealed Kate lived with Claire off the Island. Anyway I still didn't think it was Aaron. I kept going back and forth with Jack or Sawyer. I'm a HUGE Jater so I desperately want Kate to end up with Jack (it WILL happen, it HAS to) so when Kate said "my son" I was screaming at the TV wanting to kill her. I was sooooo p*ssed at why she got pregnant with Sawyers baby but wasn't sure until Jack in the courtroom said 'he doesn't love her now', I was like 'B*tch had Sawyers baby. However, I still wasn't sure until I saw Kate go to Sawyer and sleep with him AGAIN and then I thought, yea the Sl*t had sex with him AGAIN and later on in the season Jack will find out and hate her for sleeping with Sawyer AGAIN (that's why he doesn't lover her anymore in the flash-forward). However, AGAIN I was surprised when in the parking lot Kate and Jack meet and I was like, omg there is hope for Jater cos it sounded like it might be Jack's child and not Sawyers (I couldn't figure out why Jack wouldn't want to see the baby but I knew now it wasn't sawyers cos Kate didn't sleep with Sawyer the 2nd time and Kate said she wasn't pregnant in the first place). Then I thought right at the end when we see the baby, even though the baby was blonde… a la Sawyer, I was praying for Kate to say some reference to Jack but was SHOCKED when she said "AARON" There you go, NOT predictable at all.
  • The title's confusing enough, but this one's a disappointment

This is an episode that appealed to me a bit less then some of the other ones. After all, the flashforward doesn't reveal much that we didn't already know. It also raises a lot more questions that the other flashbacks should have told us.. Then again, maybe it's because I've seen so many trials on the various Law and Orders and David E. Kelley shows that I can't help but look at the flaws. But then again, maybe the writers of Lost don't consider courtroom fare part of their work.

The list of charges levied at Kate is impressive, yet I'm pretty sure that the D.A. could've gone further. Wasn't she responsible for a bank robbery that led to the deaths of four other people in 'Whatever the Case May Be'? Or shouldn't she have been tried for accessory for the death of Tom in 'Born to Run'? We know the marshal knew about it in 'Exodus'; why didn't the D.A. even try? Even if the charges were dismissed, it certainly would have made Kate look guiltier. And if Diane hadn't flaked on the murder of her father (we'll get to that in the middle) she would have still had to stand trial for those charges.
    And the presentation was even more wrong. Everyone who's seen an episode of L.A. Law knows that the prosecution presents its entire case and then the defense starts playing character witnesses. And why didn't Kate want to testify? From all the evidence we've seen, her father was an abusive drunk who might have molested her for years. Even given the extenuating circumstances, I find it hard to believe that any jury, celebrity status or not, would have found her guilty. And this is the same jury pool that let O.J. walk.

Because the flashbacks are full of these loopholes, this undercuts 'Eggtown'. Which is a bit of pity because what's happening on the island is fascinating. Locke has taken over the barrack (popularly referred to as New Otherton) and is trying to get information out of Ben. And once again, even though he has the advantage, Ben is still toying with him What's more, Locke is revealing that he's got an ultra-violent streak that is not at all appealing. The scene where he puts a grenade in Miles' mouth, awesome as it was, is not something that Locke would have done even a month ago. However, this is Kate's story, and despite what Sawyer reminded her of just one day earlier, she still needs to know if they know about her. So she gets Miles out the boathouse, and then does a master juggling act of getting Miles and Ben in the same room. This leads to another of the high points where, even if you understand it, it still has the propensity to thrill, as Ben admits more to Miles in one minute than he has to Locke in three days of captivity. It's also clear that Ben, for the first time, seems at something of a disadvantage, but then he such a good poker player, we can't really tell if he's being level. What crimes did Ben commit? Who does Miles work for? Believe it or not, we're actually on the verge of getting some answers.

Then there's more of the relationship between Kate and Sawyer. Kate seems overly concerned about getting pregnant (we assume that's what's happened because of the flashforward) but why is she so concerned about it here? The obvious answer is that she's talked with Sun or Juliet and they've told her that all pregnant women die in their second trimester. But the way that Kate behaves in the episode, I'm pretty sure that she doesn't know that. Considering that, I think Sawyer's attitude towards Kate in their final scene together is somewhat justified. Kate does seem to be flitting between Jack and Sawyer for the past three seasons, and now that rescue does seem imminent, she's doing it again, under much harsher circumstances. Does she not want to set down roots? Is she always someone who has to be on the run? Seems that way.

Of course, when the final flashforwards are taking place, it seems that's what's going on. Kate is a mother, and she seems more than willing to stop running for her child (Even if, as we find out in the last word of the episode, that's it's not really her son.) But maybe Kate doesn't want to lie anymore. Perhaps that is the reason that she doesn't want Jack to tell his story, because she doesn't seem to want to accept the cons that have been spinning (Or maybe she finds that the cons are so obvious that it would be hard enough for anyone to believe. After all, everyone seems to be going to pretty elaborate means to say that during her testimony and after everything that we're supposed to believe here, especially when everyone seems to be bend over backwards not to mention who Kate's son is.)

Kate also manages to face down the last ghost that has been stalking her---- dear old Mom. Yes, it's nice that she found a place in that cold black shell that Diane calls a heart not to testify against her daughter, but it doesn't change the fact that she hasn't so much as come to visit her since whatever rescue is coming. And even then, she wants something --- to see her grandson. One of the strongest scenes comes when Kate tells Diane she'd rather rot in prison then let her dying mother meet him. Good for Kate.

Of course, right now, it's beginning to look like no one is going to get rescued. After all, the helicopter that was carrying Sayid and Desmond took off yesterday, and yet somehow has not reached the freighter. What the hell is going on now? Is there some significance in the fact that Dan whispered that he had to stay on the exact same coordinates? Maybe that's why the first helicopter we saw near the island crashed.

In many way Lost has been all about cons, and that's certainly true of 'Eggtown'. Jack, who seemed to be the most forthright person on the island, now is maintaining the largest con of all on the rest of the world, and Kate seems willing to do so. Sawyer and Kate pull one of the better cons against Locke when they managed to get Miles and Ben into the same place. Miles seems to be willing to maintain another con, as long as he gets his. And Kate is now willing to con the world into thinking she was a great hero when in actuality the child she was supposedly carrying isn't even hers. As is often the case on the show, Kate seems to get away with it, and unlike Hurley and Sayid, she doesn't seem to be paying any huge price for it.

Yet one can't help but remember the words of that supposed psychic Richard Malkin when Claire came to him about her pregnancy -- he told her that her child "must not be raised by another". At the time his actions seemed designed to get Claire on the island, but now that it actually seems to be happening, is there something to it? Will Kate eventually have to pay a price for raising Aaron? And, if so, what form will it take? (This is a hint to the writers, too; you'd better explain if Aaron has more significance than you've given him, and you're running out of time.)

My score:7.5 (more because of the legal issues than any specific problem with the episode.)
  • Kate Centered Episode even fails to deliver a Strong Flash ForwarD!!!!

6.7
    Plot Details/Objective -» With 4 of the Oceanic six revealed, was time to concentrate in Kate and show us how she surpassed her Main Problem. Since the writers in the FF are doing shocking surprises, Kate couldn´t be the expectation. The event in the Island center around Kate and this time was not difficult to give her a task, involving Ben and Miles.

What I Like/Disliked -» The Last Scene of Kate FF. Some dialogues between the characters, Kate and her mother last interaction.

Overall:

Presentation -» (6/10). Not strong, just presenting.

Complication Phase -»(6/10). Nothing that could put you worried and filled with tension, was just Kate wanting to Know he she is pregnant and making a deal with Miles.

Climax -»(6/10). Really could notice any in the Island event. In the FF, was Claire and her Mother conversation, but nothing from the top.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (8/10). Was nice to see the surprise at the ending.

Flash-forward's -» (7,5/10) It is hard to manage Kate FF. The writers come up with something, which was tie something to her, to allow her FF to have some surprise, and all the surprises centers around Kate Child.

Time and Scenes Management -» (7/10). Put Kate trial in play was the best way/move they could do to Kate scenes this time and maintain some secrets and at the same time gave us some hints. The event In the Island bring one hint, but a very vague one. It was impossible to me to not notice the time that the Island Event bought.

Dialogues -» (7/10). As usual, even with a episode which is not great, Lost writers can maintain good dialogues.

Action /Adventure -» (5/10). Nothing here to admire.

Drama/Emotions -» (6/10). Maybe reunion with her mother, but I did not care.

Suspense/Tension -» (5/10). Couldn´t notice anything.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (7/10). The usual, vague hints and the FF give another hint. Where is Sayid and Desmond?

Surprise/Twists/Thoughts Changer -» (6,7/10). The possibility of Kate pregnancy was not something attractive, but the ending could only mean that One more old character is dead or missing.

This episode really fails to deliver Quality, even with a FF centered in Kate, with Jack participation. The so called cliffhanger was not so strong as intended to be and only if you are a super fan, you will think that this episode is great.
  • After a solid start to Season 4, this episode comes as a little disappointment.

Of all the season 4 episodes I have so far seen, "Eggtown" is easily the weakest of the 4, which most people would probably agree with. It is strange when looking back that some of the weaker additions of the series have been Kate episodes. Subsequent to her solid centric episode debut, "Tabula Rasa", the character of Kate hasn't been given as strong a backstory of depth of personality as the others, and given her past history and how it should affect her present situations is surprising. The root of the problem lies with her hormones, unfortunately. As with most great TV shows, the writers have to employ a little romantic tension into proceedings once in a while and this will obviously please the shipper fans. This would be fine if one romantic partnership existed on the island that concerned Kate. The writers try to complicate the situation, uneccesarily so, by bringing in other characters. The decision to choose between two men has never been so difficult for any female charcater, fictional or otherwise in history, yet Kate manages to make even the most indecisive person appear positive. What makes matters worse is that even the men have contracted the illness and will continue to throughout the remainder of the series. Is this the Sickness? Has a Lost mystery been answered? Sawyer can't choose between Kate or Juliet and even had a fling with Ana-Lucia. He seems to have some affection for Claire as well. Jack seems to bounce between Kate and Juliet with each passing episode. At this stage of the series you would have thought that things would have settled down but unfortunately not and, for me not being a shipper, I find this element of the series to be the weakest area. Yes, Lost is essentially a character driven series and the romantic tensions created is a part of that, but it shouldn't be too much of a focus, as it appears to be in this episode. There are better ways to explore the characters, particularly at this stage of the game. Nethertheless, there is enough in this episode to almost balance things out. Like the last episode the island events don't seem to move very far. Much more happens on the island than it did in "The Economist" but you can definitely feel that this is a ploy by the writers. They are building the tension up, that you feel that at some point things will just explode. That explosion would be largely delayed until "The Shape of Things to Come". For all of the Kate moments, "Eggtown" is as much a Locke episode as anyone. It even begins on Locke's eye, tricking the audience from the get-go. Locke has come a along way since Day 1 on the island. Fans of the gentle, island worshipping would-be hunter of old will probably be disappointed in the direction that this character has took since midway through Season 3. At the end of the day, Locke's actions are only driven by what the island has and still can offer him, as has been case since the beginning. The only things different is his methods, which have become more demonstrative. Locke has found his true home, and, unlike his parents, the island, has taken care of him and, now in some way, he wants to return the favor by giving it what it needs at this time, a new leader. Since the end of Season 3 Ben has felt his grip on the island controls slipping because of this man and now Ben tries to rub salt in Locke's wounds. Locke, once again, is in a fragile state. He has lost contact with Jacob and, in this episode he has lost contact with everyone else. Taunting Locke at the beginning of the episode is Ben's way of cutting through Locke. Ben employed the same tactic on him in Season 2's "Maternity Leave" and with very similar reactions from Locke. Despite, all that the island has given him and shown him and helped him face, to the extent of seeing his father dead at the hands of Sawyer, Locke remains angry, tormented and far from being free.
    But instead of sitting down and thinking about his next moves quietly by himself cross-legged, as he did so often in the early days on the island he now takes his frustrations out on people and Miles gets it the worst. Never before have we seen him so violent. Just as we can't understand how Kate can not choose between two men, so radically different from each other and her own personality, so too can we not fathom how Locke can be so bitter and remorseful after being on an island that not only saved his life from a plane crash and from a skeleton pit but brought life back to his legs. Off island, for a second, we finally get to wrap (or so it it would seem) Kate's fugitive storyline, which is a consolation because we don't get to see Kate's love life settle down. On island we see Kate leave Sawyer alone in an Other's bed (oh, the thought!) and off island in the future she has distanced herself from Jack also. So, it would seem that the Kate tennis ball ended up not bouncing to anyone but the back of the court. Of course, as we would see later the two of them did share a rather short-lived relationship. But the highlight of this flashforward is not the rather straightforward trial, which netherless features a revealing cover story for the events on the island, nor the reunion between Kate and her mother, but the reveal of Kate's "son", who is none other than Aaron, Claire's baby. The writers do a clever job in setting it up that Kate really has a biological son and that the father is Sawyer. That Sawyer is the father would make sense as Jack would naturally have a problem with wanting to see the baby, due to jealousy. The fact that it wasn't adds a further mystery to events off island. It is likely that both the fact that the baby is being protected by the cover story/lie the survivors have concocted to prevent any reveal of what happened to Claire and subsequent others on the island. Add to that Jack's guilt that he would be, as step-sister to Claire, Aaron's nephew and you have a lot of burden for Jack to carry on his shoulders. The biggest question, however, is what becomes of the beautiful Claire. The end of the season doesn't help is solve the mystery. We discover she suddenly disappears but pops up a la Christian Shepherd in the jungle and in Jacob's cabin. Has Claire become an apparition of Jacob or the smoke monster? Speaking of Claire, many fans were annoyed at her behaviour following Charlie's death. Sure, she seems to have gotten over the loss quite quickly, but some people do get over these things more easily than others, either due to inner strength or maybe happy pills! At the time of writing this review I am witnessing someone acting similar to Claire. So, trust me, it does happen!
    Back on the island and we see an odd scene between Daniel Faraday and Charlotte Lewis, playing cards. Faraday is trying to remember what the three cards laying down on the table are but fails to remember all of them and is disgusted. Take this moment with Faraday's very first flashback scene in "Confirmed Dead", where he says he can't remember why he is upset and we are led to believe that somehow Daniel has a memory problem and that also he may be involved in some time travel.
    The whole memory plot thread would be further developed in the following episode. One of the most impressive elements of Lost, is its continued ability to pull storylines and themes from seasons past and recycle them or even elaborate, expand and develop them, proving that nothing stays dead and untied up on the show [okay, except Libby!]. In this episode and this season's case it is the early Season 1 episode, "Raised by Another", which is given another spotlight and audiences are made to re-evaluate the events of that episode in light of the events seen in "Eggtown". Both creepy Locke in Claire's dream and Richard Malkin, warn Claire to not let anyone but her raise her baby or danger will befall them. Has this sequence of bad events begun? Also, Locke said to Claire in her trippy dream that she gave the baby up and that now everyone pays the price now. Of course, this dream was on island and we know that she hadn't and wasn't any time soon going to give the baby up. She was off the island but never did. Locke is saying in the dream that she DID give it up. If Claire's dreams were a premonition of events to come [Lest not forget that she dreamt that her baby was in danger and that someone was coming to kidnap her, which died happen] then this episode is quite a foreshadowing, proving that the writers knew where they were going to take the show from Day 1. This, in some ways, was a bit of a filler episodes, despite all the important revelations, which depends alot on Kate's undefined and over-romantic character. Lost Unless it is Penny and Desmond, romance isn't the best aspect of the show. And this episode only proves this. All in all, a disappointing addition to Season 4.
  • A Kate-centric flash-forward episode.

Let me start out by saying that I absolutely loved this episode, and I really enjoyed getting to see the flash-forwards of Kate's life after she gets off the island. I already knew that Kate was raising Aaron as her own son after she got off the island since I've already seen the second half of the season, but I was very surprised that she's telling everyone that Aaron is her biological son. I still don't know why she's choosing to act like Aaron is her own son, but I'm very eager to find out the reason she's doing that. Another thing that I really liked about this episode was just Sawyer in general, but that's mainly because he's always been one of my most favorite characters on Lost. All things considered, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the rest of season four since I've only seen the episodes that aired after the writers strike ended at this point in time.
  • Bad deals are made...

7.2
    Kate episodes are not really the best episodes of Lost. She had some great ones, but for the most, they are very average.

This is yet again another average episode. It mostly took place at Locke's camp which means we don't get too much action. The episode mostly focused on Kate's (as usual) troubled relationship(s).

Kate wants to find out if she's still wanted, and of course, she turns to Miles. This was rather silly I thought. Miles asks Kate to get him together with Ben for a few minutes. This of course means Kate has to con Locke, and risk their safety.

Pretty complicated, yes? So why didn't Kate just ask Dan while he was with Jack, or Miles BEFORE he was captured? Anyway, Sawyer and Kate conning Locke was fun, but Locke's behaviour was way too out of character. First of all I enjoyed the scene at the beginning of the episode: Locke bringing food to Ben who won't reveal a thing to poor John which makes him angry - just like in season 2.

But, this wasn't the same Locke from the first 3 episodes. He seemed way too unsure about himself. This was the Locke from season 2: but after seeing Ghost Walt, finding out that the button has a purpose, meeting Jacob and leading a whole group of survivors, this barely made any sense.

Locke banishing Kate after she tricked him was very childish too and out of character. Luckily though, he did punish Miles too by making him bite on a grenade - now that was the Locke we came to love.

Another character acting odd was Claire: all of sudden she wanted to talk to Miles and she was all happy and cheery: it's been only about 2 days since Charlie died! Not cool.

Kate breaking up with Sawyer - not cool either. First of all, why was Kate pissed off? Because Sawyer was happy that she wasn't pregnant. Wait a bit. How does she even know, all of sudden, that she's NOT pregnant? This made VERY VERY little sense, Kate is aware of that if she is pregnant and stays on the island, she and the baby could die.

Luckily for us, the flashforwards were better. We find out who Kate referred to as "him" in the Jack flashforward: her son, who really isn't hers. It's Aaron - makes us wonder, how did he end up with Kate instead of Claire? While this wasn't as big as the reveal that Sayid's working for Ben, it was definitely awesome and "WOW" worthy. Kate's court scenes were good, though unrealistic. However her interaction with Jack was superb, just as her interactions with her mother. Emotional, and full of information. Kate's deal that she won't leave the country for years was a nice little thing. If she wants to obey the laws, there's no way for her to "Go back"...

Verdict: on a whole, much like with "The Economist" the island portion of the episode was weak, but the flashforward was great. Island: 6/10, Flashforwards: 9/10, which gives us a score around 7: very average for Lost. Enjoyable, yes. But slow moving, sometimes a bit illogical and lots of out of character moments.
  • Another solid episode of Lost.

Kate episodes tend to split the audience. Much like Sawyer episodes, Kate episodes are character driven, therefore her episodes feel "disconnected" from the main storyline. This time around, it doesn't fully apply, but partly, yes, it does.

The island plot was really good episode. I enjoyed it more than in the previous one. Locke going season2-crazy is intriguing. I'm sure most of you have noticed, but in the opening, the writers copied a scene from a season 2 episode(Maternity Leave). Locke and Ben has almost the same conversation, and Locke has the same reaction. I'm not much of a "shipper", but the romantic storyline between Sawyer and Kate was done very well. Much better than in the 3rd season I believe. But for me, the best part was Miles' odd conversation with Ben. Why does he want exactly 3.2 million? Who Ben is? Is Ben using the island mainly to hide? Maybe, afterall, Ben isn't that connected to the island as he claims. Another scene I thought was incredible... well, Locke's and Miles'. I've never seen that grenade trick before, and I wouldn't have thought that it'd be Lost where I see it first. 24, maybe. Lost, no way. It was awesome! Such a badass moment for John. The beach storyline was good. I loved the Sun/Jin moment at the beginning. I think it sets up their flashforward. Also,Charlotte calling the boat... I got goosebumps. The helicopter never arrived on the freighter. So I guess next episode's going to be "helicopter-centric". I can't wait.

But before jumping to the next episode, let's see the flashforward...

It was good. It dragged at times, but it was good. First of: Evangeline Lilly is beautiful. I mean, wow. Secondly... the ending. Amazing. Such an emotional moment turned into a shocking revelation within about 2 seconds. I didn't really see it coming, although I had my suspicion when I saw that Kate's "son" has blonde hair. This raises many questions, but first and foremost: What happened to Claire? Was Desmond's vision wrong? Did Desmond lie? Did Claire die in the future?

The scene with Kate and her mother was very moving too, but unfortunately, some of the court scenes were "meh". Jack's testemony was interesting, though. He claims only 8 people survived the crash, and 2 died later on -- that'd be the O6. Obviously they're forced to lie. Overall, great episode, but it didn't advance the main storyline much.
  • Great comeback!

Kate has flashfowards to when she is on trial for all the crimes she committed before the crash. Jack testifies as a character witness. He lies about life on the island to make Kate look good. Kate has a son...named Aaron.

Kate and Miles make a deal. Miles will tell Kate any information he knows about her, if she gets him to talk to Ben for 1 minute. She asks Sawyer for help and they plan it. Locke falls for the trick. Miles and Ben talk and Miles offers to lie to his people on the ship if Ben can get him some money (like 3.2 million or something like that). Jin has improved in his English. Dan has a strange remembering problem that Charlotte is helping him with. Sayid and Desmond have not made it to the freighter yet. Locke banishes Kate, so she goes back to the beach after sleeping with Sawyer.

This episode was great! The ending was so mysterious! If it's Claire's baby Aaron, then that is really weird. I like Miles! He's so funny! I can't believe what Locke did to him with the grenade and everything. This episode gets a 10 out of 10 from me!
  • WOW...

In this episode Kate gets Miles out to talk to Ben because he promised her if they talked then he will tell her what he knows about her. After Miles gets his meeting with Ben. Turns out he will lie to his people and tell them that Ben is dead if Ben transferrs 3.2 million dollars to his account. Ben catches Kate and Miles even though Sawyer tried to stop him. On other events : Jack tries to contact the plane all day but he couldn't. When he gets help from Charlotte she calls the emergency number and they find out that the helicopter never left the island. We see Kate flashforwards. When she was put on trial, her mother was going to testifiy against her but in the end she didn't so Kate was free. When she goes home to her son we see a blonde baby which isn't possible and she calls him Araon. Very good episode. It was exciting. I think the two main questions raised in this episode where : Where is the helicopter that took Sayid and Jin ? Why did Kate call her baby Araon ? I loved the flashforwards. They were really intense. The acting was also fantastic. There was some powerful dialogue between Kate and Sawyer and some hot scenes aswell. What I didn't like about this episode was why the whole episode was concentrated on Kate, Jack and Locke. This season is about these three characters. Even Sawyer who was supposed to be an important character is getting smaller parts and Juliet barley said two lines in this episode and Sun says a few things and just disappears. Favorite character from this episode : Kate !!! I loved her flashforwards. Hottest character from this episode : Kate !!! She seriousley looked amazing. Great stuff !!!
  • Eggtown is amazing!

One of my favorite episodes of Season 4 so far, actually, it's one of my favorite episodes in all of Lost. It answered a lot of questions, I really found it informative. In the last flash-forward of the episode when Kate was upstairs with the kid, I didn't expect it to be Aaron. I was all like "What, Kate's baby Aaron?" I love how this episode is called 'Eggtown' all because of the first of the episode. Where Locke's like "This is the last egg in the house." It actually made me laugh, then Ben said something to tick him off. Hah. One of my favorite episodes of Lost, ever!
  • Lost is definitely back on track

While i was really bored with season 2 and 3, i think with the flash-forwards, lost is definitely back on track. the kate-centric episode kept me on the edge of my seat and i really liked the twist in the end. also the whole oceanic six thing is great, i really want to know who the rest of them are. Lost is finally an exciting show again and i'm really curious what really happenend on the island once the oceanic six are saved. they must have made a hell of a deal- otherwise jack wouldn't break like that and turn into some kind of a screw-up or in this spitting image of his father.
  • great episode

Kate tricks Hurley into telling him where the new hostage is being kept. Kate finds the hostage and asks him something about her standing on the US? Locke catches Kate transferring the hostage out of his cell. Locke asks Kate to leave the barracks. In the flashforward, Kate finds herself having to face the court regarding her past crimes. When her mom decides not to testify against her, it gives her the leverage she needs to walk free but on probation. it's a really exciting story. The flashforwards are done so well, i can't wait for the next episode. It's a really exciting episode.
  • What could this mean!? Hmmm...

I think this episode add the potential to be great, since it reveals so many things, yet once again i believe that some parts of the episode were kind of boring, because i'm getting just a little tired of Kates love story on the island, now i don't hate her character or anything but i'm just tired of seeing her jump from Jack to Sawyer and from Sawyer to Jack, i mean it's been 4 Seasons and they still keep at it, that was a down point in my opinion in regard to this episode.

Besides this issue the episode is revealing and just like it's predecessor it leaves so many questions in the air. We learned from the ending of Season 3 that Kate would leave the island, but it appears that she does not come alone and brings a "present" with her aka Aaron (Claires baby). This makes me wonder of what will happen to Claire, i hope that it does include the word dead since i really like Claire.

On a different note we also find a bit more about Ben, and personally i think that every information concerning Ben at this point is essential to the plot.

So in conclusion i think that this episode, certainly makes us wonder about the future of the losties and what will happen in the future that will lead to the facts to which we are presented in this episode.

Thanks for reading.
  • Warning! This review contains spoilers and extreme cynicism, read at your own discretion.

This episode revolves around Kate and her trial once she's off the island and becomes yet another member of the Oceanic 6. Not much happens in her off - island story except that she gets off. Any scene that is part of this dreary plot lags and i'm still convinced that Evangeline Lilly who plays Kate is just not a very good actress despite her looks.

On the island however Kate beds Sawyer and tells him that she's not pregnant and busts out the prisoner Miles to speak to the other prisoner Ben where he demands milions of dollars. Not much time is spent on the beach which means that Jack isn't given much time to chew on the scenery; that honour goes to the passive - agressive Miles. Miles is sleazy, mumbles and is demanding lots of money (3.2 million to be exact) for nothing; it looks like we have an asian Marlon Brando on Lost. There have been many major twists in entertainment:

The Others - They are all ghosts

Sixth Sense - Malcolm Crowe is dead

The Empire Strikes Back - Darth Vader is Luke's father

The Crying Game - Dil is a man

Planet of the Apes - They were on earth all along

and Psycho - The Mother is Norman in drag.

The so - called "cliffhanger" in this episode is that Aaron (Claire's baby) calls Kate Mom. This is meant to make us ecstatic to see the next episode but really it just fizzles for a show like Lost there're a million and one twists they could've thrown at us and this one just falls flat. The character of Ben may be beaten, tied to a chair and locked in a metal cell but he still has everyone around him cowering with Michael Emerson's subtle chilliness that has only been matched by Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs. There is yet another "Secret Clue" or "Unanswered Question" which can only be noticed by people who have Tivo and examine every frame of the episode. Clearly the people who notice these don't have a life and with the direction of this season still not clear; i'm beginning to think the same about me.

This episode will keep a fan happy; there's plenty of mystery, drama and comedy but it's getting to the point where quality isn''t enough and the actual answers to the questions we've been asking since Season 1 is all that we demand.
  • Ah... Kate again.

I normally don't like Kate episodes. I haven't actually enjoyed one since Born to Run back in the first season. What Kid Did and Left Behind were both really boring compared to the other character's flashbacks. Anyway, this one did actually advance the plotline, so I'm thankful for that. I had seen a spoiler about the baby, so I wasn't surprised at all. I wish I had been though. It certainly made for a little plot twist. I'm very curious as to why Jack has a problem with Kate having Aaron, though. They must have made some nasty deal to get off the island.
  • lost season 4 turning into soap

4.9
    after a nonsensical second season and it's over the top dilluted narrative, and a strong third season (or at least half season, the second half), due in part to two new great characters, Juliet and of course, Ben Linus (playing an extra in the 2nd, Henry Gale), the best bad ass villain in years, the forth season comes as an unpleasent surprise to me

first of, ben and juliet are completely underused, pushed back to playing extras. instead, four far less interesting new characters are introduced in brief flashbacks, the asian mind-reading (duh), the pain in the ass redhead, the nerdy scientist, played by all-time-favourite nerd Jeremy Davies (kudos to his ability to create empathy, as always) and the uninteresting but friendly father figure chopper pilot. The 3rd season finale's twist briliantly changed the whole deal; instead of wanting to escape from the island (now that we know that they, or at least six of them, do escape) we want to stay on the island and uncover it's secrets. And although, some of the secrets are revealed (yeah, time flows at a diffrent speed, we already figured that out by now, especially after we've seen walt talkin to locke, someone is indeed after ben but we already knew that too, miles wants 3.2M$ to shut his mouth and lie to his boss, right, who cares), no real answers are given. But I guess that's the whole lost-concept: every time someone gets to talk to a character that knows al the answers, no one bothers to ask the right questions, or, for that matter, any questions at all.

Instead of it all, we get to see a good show turning ino real down-to-earth old-school soap opera: sawyer talks to kate on the porch, kate talks to sawyer, sawyer reads Marx in boxer shorts (does that look like bad soft-porn ?), kate makes her entrance, they talk and kiss, and get up in the morning and she gets mad for whatever reason and leaves again for the 26th time (damn, no one has ever warned them about relationships beeing so hard?... ouch, watch out for that heartbrake sawyer), hugo is feeding miles, sawyer and roomate hugo watch a movie, kate and claire do the laundry and talk about babies, sawyer and locke play chess,... i'm bored. There's still some good moments here and there, locke feeding a grenade to miles, the good old cliffhanger, yeah, we learn that Aaron is the 6th survivor from the island: jack, kate, hugo, ben, sayid and aaron ? do i get that right ? No more flashforwards involving any other characters possible then ?

Come on Damon, stirr things up a little bit. At least episode 405 raised the barr - remember watching back to the future when you were 12 thinking everything was possible ? But please!! damon and carlton, let go of the soap.
  • Locke: (puts grenade in Miles mouth) Enjoy your breakfast.

Kate's need to extract information from the hostage may jeopardize her relationships with Locke and Sawyer. In flash forwards, Kate has a hard and difficult life off the island. This episode was another absolutely awesome episode of Lost the fourth season is so good, Kate was great in this every scene she is in is truely superb, I liked at the start of the episode when Locke and Ben were talking it reminded me of some of the great scenes in the hatch in season two (It feels like such a long time ago). Sawyer and Hurley are great both of them are very funny whenever there on screen together, they are the best double act since Chandler and Joey (Friends), Miles I feel sorry for I really like him, he is such a great character, I was happy to see Jin and Sun for once, there characters are rarely seen at the momment. So I have one compliant about the season at the momment were are all the characters, we see the main ones like Kate, Jack, Sawyer, Locke and Ben, but were are the others everytime we see them they are just like extras standing in the background, we rarely see them talking. But all in all "Eggtown" was a superb episode that was full of suspence and shocks I liked it alot, 10 out of 10.
  • OMG that was a terrible episode. the island scenes were just filler so they could set up the spoil-foward twist ending. did m. night shamylan write this episode?

3.9
    kate's motivation for talking to miles made absolutely no sense whatsoever. she wanted to know if he knew who she was? really?? why wouldn't he? she's a well-known fugitive. anyone can go on to the fbi website & get a list of criminals. a criminal on a crashed plane? even easier to google. google was around in 2004 so it made no sense for her to do all that work & lie to everyone just for him to confirm that she's not an anonymous person on a plane. if the others can find out things about their past why couldn't the people from the freighter? give me a break. it was so lame. there were so many other ways to have a kate-centric episode without having her behave in such an irrational manner. i mean, she smacked sawyer for saying something. which was insanely out of character. he's said things before, but for her to smack him in the face? & claire didn't seem affected at all by the fact that charlie had just died. it hasn't been that long & she's acting like everything is perfectly fine. a little mention of that by kate or maybe claire not being so happy would have made this episode better. who wrote this episode??
    at least ben asked the question i had: 3.2? why not 3.3 ? maybe there's meaning in the amount. who knows. miles is such an annoying character because he is motivated the same way that nicki & paulo were, by greed, that i'm barely interested in it. luckily locke stuck the grenade in his mouth to shut him up. a great scene. sure the spoil-forward twist at the end was great & i can find a little solace in that they are trying to really stick it to all the l&o fans who clamored for answers because they are getting their precious answers with some brand new questions. either way i hate spoil-forwards & they detract from the show.
  • Again, another fine example of the new season

In a thrilling episode, Kate is released (in a flash-forward) only if she stays in the United States. On the island, Kate betrays John and Sawyer as she allows Miles to gain exactly one minute with Benjamin Linus. This turns out to be very confusing at times.

Jack continued leading and instructing for the better of his team of course. But the end brought a shocking realization that Sayid (who took the helicopter last week) and those with him are no where to be found. For the the conclusion, it was a darn good one!

Overall, this episode gave answers and had a great amount of suspense and action. Each episode as it comes proves to be better than the one before. Great work producers.
  • "Jate"...¢¾

What can I say about this episode? It was awesome! I loved every minute of it! I always love Kate's flashbacks, but her flashforward was amazing! I loved it so much. I think it was her best episode so far in the whole of Lost and there has been some very good ones! I loved when Jack was in the court room, it was so sad when he said he didn't love Kate anymore, but after it he said it wasn't true I was so happy when he said that I cried my eyes out! I just love the whole "Jate" you got to say "Jate" is better than "Sate" Jack and Jack are just wow! Well, I loved every second of every minute of this episode! I cant wait to see more!
  • A flash forward episode focused on Kate. Her fate lies in the hands of her mother. Although its also a current episode focusing on Sawyer and Kates relationship. In the end, we see Kate holding none other than Claires baby, Aaron! Its a cliffhanger!

We still have no clue as to what happened exactly when the "oceanic 6" got rescued. These flash forward episodes are brilliant, while entertaining and irritating. Im so impatient, its hard to watch! I just want to know what happened to them! Kate getting off with 10 years probation is fair I think. We wouldn't want her sitting in a jail cell. When Kate said that her son wouldn't be put on the stand, I was like, son? What son? Of course they were showing the Sawyer scenes where you automatically assume that its his son they speak of. But then, how could it be? They couldn't have flashed forward that far! And then when Kate walks up the stairs, into the bedroom, you see the boy for the first time, and she calls him Aaron!!! I can't wait for this to be explained! Did something happen to Claire? Or did Kate steal Aaron? What an episode!!
  • Major revelations and some memorable moments make this another great installment. However, I feel the last scene was played out wrong. - Read my review for why!

The main focus of this episode is Kate, and like all previous episodes that focus on her it doesn't quite hit the quality bar compared to other main character-based episodes like of say Jack, Locke or Sawyer.

Still, in my opinion, this is the best Kate-centric episode of LOST so far because it contains some pretty memorable scenes that stand out head and shoulders above the rest.

First, the on island events of this episode that involved Kate were quite boring. Anything that didn't focus on her was quite interesting: Locke's encounters with Ben, Miles and Ben and lastly the classic final "Miles and Locke confrontation".
    The moment where Locke sticks a grenade in Miles' mouth and tells him to enjoy his breakfast was brilliant!

When Jack came into the picture in Kates flashforward, things got very interesting indeed.
    We learn that Jack has been lying quite heavily about the events that occured on the island after the plane crash. He tells a court room under oath that Kate was the hero who saved him and everyone else, only according to him, only 8 people survived the crash.
    A clear coverup to protect their friends they left behind from the large organisations that are yet to be revealed, who are trying to get to the island to use it for reasons not yet known!

Jack and Kate have a nice little scene together outside of the court room, this possibly shows us that they were involved for a short period but Jack clearly has some issues off the island, probably due to having to lie constantly about the on-island events and forgetting about the people they left behind.

The final scene: I feel was played out wrong, and heres why.
    We learn that "Kate's Son" is actually Aaron, it is my belief that some tragic event must occur where they have to make a split second decision to take Aaron off the island and split him up from Clare, either that or Clare is no longer with us.
    The scene ended with "Hey Aaron" and then some "Duh Duh Duh" music, I think this should have been more of a "Hey Aaron" and then about 30 seconds of slow, sad music making the viewer think "Why is Aaron off the island, what could possibly happen to make that happen?"
  • The flash forward was pretty intense, I enjoyed every bit of it, maybe except the fact that it was slow, the island happenings were great as well and the only thing I disliked was how early I predicted the so-called twist at the end.

Kate, how I love Kate. Well, enough of my personal feelings for Evangeline Lilly, I shall get on with what happened in this episode. The court scene, family scene and the Jate scene were all so emotional, intense and pretty much nerve-wrecking for me. I always wanted Jack and Kate to end up together and they eventually did, I guess, at least as much as I know. Anyway, whatever was happening on the island was surely really, well you could say very fast paced and just sort of, "woah," "huh," "what," for me pretty much. The only bad side about this episode is that it will take forever before I see another Kate-centric episode. *Sob*
  • I never had a bigger heart attack watching Lost than I did with this episode!

Season 4 of Lost is topping all other seasons as the best season ever. Because everything is absolutely unexpected and each episode becomes more shocking than the previous one.

But Eggtown is the biggest of "shock" episodes of the entire series. I've never felt a greater need to be jumping around screaming OMGWTF but I was watching with my dad so I had to hold it in. My heart is still racing from watching that episode. Since it's too early to reveal stuff, I will save that for later reviewers. While there is interesting stuff with the on-island storyline, the real shockers are in Kate's flashfowards. Every single revelation in this episode was absolutely nothing like I expected. I want to congradulate the writers of this episode for such a wonderful episode of good writing and great suspense. Keep on writing and keep up the greatness that is Season 4!!!
  • Kate's fugitive status is dealt with very haphazardly and sucks out all potential from that plot point.

For a series with major themes of redemption and salvation, Kate's story should have been as central as Jack made it out to be while committing perjury. I'm not saying Kate should have been the de facto leader of the survivors, although that is what Lindelof and Abrams had originally envisioned. I am saying her return to the U.S. should have presented more than just a paparazzi circus for the likes of E! online to cover. From a literary standpoint, there could have been a major moral dilemma dealt with her, either internally or externally. In line with this , we get a brief conversation with Kate's mom from which we only learn that she's dying and then not over and over again. (don't care). Then we get the plea deal, where it is made clear that the State of California wants to keep her under their thumb for reasons not yet known and Kate wants to stay out of prison for the purpose of caring for Aaron.

From a legal standpoint, not only was Jack's testimony perjury, it was inadmissible character evidence. Sorry to nitpick but he should have been limited to opinion and reputation evidence only not specific acts like "she saved my life!" From an emotional standpoint, Sawyer needs to tell Kate where to go and leave it at that. I don't buy the arguments that he was insensitive. He has always been this way and she knows this. They are also in a high stress situation and he "proposed" to her in the last episode for crying out loud. He was just calling a spade a spade. As for spades, this episode was a misfire for the season. I was pretty disappointed that the baby was Aaron. That adds a mystery that we don't need at this point. Having the baby be her's and Sawyer's explains why she wants to leave the island and lie to Sawyer and treat him like crap. Having Aaron raises a whole new set of questions I don't want to go into here other than to repeat what other reviewers have said - is Kate the evil force or "another" that Claire's psychic warned about? I would believe it.
  • The weakest of the 4 but still pretty good.

So Eggtown was the weakest episode of this fine start of season 4. But given the actual standards of this show, even the weakest of the 4 was pretty good.
    The problem with the episode was that some things(still few tho), including the cliffhanger was pretty predictable, which is rare. I saw the Aaron thing coming 10 minutes into the episode. Also it was clear Sawyer was fooling Locke with the backgammon thing, still funny tho.
    I love pretty much every Sawyer-Kate scenes. These two have so much chemistry between them. However, Jack and Kate=zero chemistry, present or future.
    There was some interesting points in the court, specially when Jack said there was only 8 survivors. On the island, I `m loving the way the Locke team is living, just like the others before. Sad Kate is leaving. It was a letdown we did not see Sayid and Desmond but that`s for next time I guess. I think the fact they still haven`t reach the boat is due to that relative time thing.
    Too little of Dan too, I like the character so I want to see more but that`s a big cast to supply. Looks like Dan has some memo problems.
    As for Miles, looks like he`s in some big troubles. :D(locke is badass!!) For some reasons, I`m not convinced with his blackmail thing.
    The next installment could not come sooner. Hopefully we`ll see what happens to Sayid and Desmond.
  • Slightly above average for a Kate episode, although the rest of the episode is what really lifts it up.

So far this season has been hitting the mark consistently, the best introduction phase of a season since the first one. With the writers knowing the end point, they know where to place pivotal moments rather than keep it open until the audience has lost its patience. The flash-forwards have also recharged the series' momentum. Unfortunately this episode is a slight downturn because of some faults in plot points related to Kate, but the rest continues to build on the foundation for this season.

Kate's major problem, again, is that her story relies too heavily on her love interests. Take Kate out of the picture and Jack and Sawyer would still be compelling characters. Vice versa and she's lost. She has proven to be a good actress, so why can't we see her character with something substantial? She has a criminal past she was running away from, but it seems to be forgotten most of the time. However, this episode brings back those elements while adding a dynamic that should make Kate a lot more interesting.

The episode's title, an old slang term referring to a place where there is nothing good to trade, seems appropriate as several sides are trying to negotiate. Kate makes a deal with Miles, and ultimately gets little out of it, paralleled to Kate making a deal in her murder case in the future. Miles also tries to extort a fortune from Ben, but it clearly will be harder than Ben handing over some money. You could also use the survivors as a whole in a position where no trade will do them well: stay on the island and be at its mercy or leave and eventually succumb to massive guilt.

Kate's deal in her flash-forward is another situation. Although I've expected whatever got the Oceanic Six off the island eventually wiped Kate's criminal record clean, it would make more sense that she face her crimes in court since there was some time that Kate's mug shot would probably be in many major newspapers while the plane was missing. However, it seems that Kate, who would likely face a capital murder charge for her father, gets off with a slap on the wrist.

Kate's story has two problems going against it: the legality of her trial and the circumstances that lead her to believe she isn't pregnant. Besides the more detailed elements of law (which I have no authority to speak of), why is Kate being tried in Los Angeles? She killed her father in Iowa, got her sweetheart killed there as well and robbed the bank in New Mexico. It's possible that her lawyer felt she couldn't get a fair trial in either state, but being in LA reeks of plot convenience since Jack lives there.

The second big problem's resolution feels a little sloppy. It's understandable that Kate is apprehensive about being pregnant, especially on the island that tends to kill those expecting. Of course the flash forward reveals her "son" isn't biological, but on island, she has no reason to know definitively she isn't pregnant unless she took one of the pregnancy tests. There are other indicators that she wouldn't be, but they don't even hint to them happening.

Jack's testimony serves a little more of the mystery of the Oceanic Six's back story. Originally there were eight survivors from the plane which crashed in the water, which is already a big shift from the truth. Kate served as the leader (which would've been the original premise of the series had Jack died in The Pilot as planned) until they were rescued. Everything besides their specific survival was manufactured.

So their story involves two characters dying. Some theorized that the two people who "died" are still alive, but being protected by this cover. For some reason, the Six or those who "rescued" them want to create the impression that they're dead for the rest of the world. They may be unable to protect themselves or are living covertly (Sayid wouldn't count as he is one of the six).

Locke's authority among The Others 2.0 is eroding faster than Ben's did towards the end of last season. Locke has a fit after Ben points out how lost Locke is without some island force guarding him. The last time he had a fit like this was in "Maternity Leave" when Ben under minded Locke's position within the castaways. With him lost and his word disregarded by his followers, he's desperately trying to assert his power and often making rash choices because of it. Obviously the big example is his interrogation of Miles, where he stuffs a grenade in his mouth to get information out of him. Considering the cons, it wouldn't be hard to believe that the grenade isn't active, but making consequences that extreme mirrors Ben's actions just as he fell from power.

Miles' reason for wanting to see Ben so badly is revealed. Considering his pocketing of the money from the kid's house in the flashback, that he would extort Ben out of $3.2 million isn't hard to believe. The Others have a lot of resources off island that would require a hefty bank account. The amount is odd, as Ben points out and he doesn't offer much beside an ambiguous facial expression as to why Miles picked it. There does seem to be meaning to the amount, but what it is is just another tease to spark fan discussion.

Another in the series of red flags the freighties have been giving off is the survivors' inability to contact the freighter's original line. In the last episode they hinted at problems inside the freighter with Frank reminding Daniel to hang up if Minkoswki answers. So there are some clear problems within the freighties community as higher management has a different agenda than everyone else.

Last episode showed a time discrepancy from on-island to off-island. So it would make sense that Sayid, Desmond and Frank's trip to the freighter would take longer than expected. One would have to wonder how long it took the freighties to get to the island to begin with. The writers have made a conscientious effort to avoid using explicit time tables so far, and that discrepancy with the payload hints at the problem with the helicopter.

Jin and Sun, who haven't been featured much so far this season, have a short scene worth discussing. Jin is preparing to head to America to raise their child, but Sun would rather raise it in Seoul. One thing not brought up is Sun's father, who sent a man to the airport to remind Jin that they'll never be free of him. It'll be hard to hide from Sun's father in Seoul if that's what they still plan to do.

There is also a hint that the child's paternity may be in question again, as Sun didn't respond to Jin's correction "our baby". In the mobisode "Buried Secrets", the relationship between Michael and Sun that never materialized beyond the first couple episodes is brought up again when they almost kiss. While that may be important again, it's probably best to leave the paternity subplot be rather than drag Michael into it.

With all the importance on Kate's "son", the writers set up the catch that there's more to the child. In retrospect, it should've been obvious that it wasn't Kate's long theorized child with Sawyer (unless you're still hanging on to the idea that Kate named her son after Aaron, which would've been a cheat), although some guessed that it was Aaron. Considering I was spoiled about last episode's Ben reveal, being unaware of this made it a welcome surprise.

Aaron being under Kate's care effectively dashes any chance Claire has of being one of the six. Some theorized she might've been killed, but I'm skeptical about that, mostly because it's dramatically richer if she's alive but separated from her child by major forces. Claire probably "died" in the cover story, with Kate taking over for mother as a way to boost her character standing off-island. It's possible that, as the Oceanic Six is keeping mum on the truth, Kate is protecting Aaron from the freighties' boss. It also recalls the warning the psychic gave Claire in "Raised By Another" that her son can't be raised by anyone other than herself and that perhaps fate had her on the doomed flight so she would have no other option but to raise him. This scenario could be the basis for a worthy follow through to the promises that early episode made.

Overall this may be the weakest episode so far, there's still a lot of solid material. More elements are being introduced as the season begins to gel, which should continue to compel viewers. Unfortunately Kate is still largely defined by the men she's attracted to, but at least they've set up the stage for bigger things.
  • Meh

7.3
    This wasn't such a great episode of Lost. What happened in one episode, i felt could have happened in half an episode. This season has been great so far but this what a bit of a filler. We already know that Ben has wanted and he is special in one way or another. So Miles cared more about money that Ben.

This episode was all over the place. Nice to see Kate in the flashforward but I hope and pray that the baby isn't Claire's.

Locke and his Grenade was cruel but it's only what they deserve for not telling the truth.
  • Fabulous episode and what a great twist at the end! (contains spoilers).

Okay, so it's been a week since the episode was on last week, but I've been really busy this week and this episode was so amazing that it deserves yet another review! So much happens in this episode that builds up more and more questions for this season and the future seasons! I'm dying knowing that some of these questions won't get answered for weeks, months, and maybe even years! Well... onto what happened!

The most shocking and pivotal parts of this episode (in terms of things that will raise tons of questions) mostly happened in the future during the glimpses into Kate's life and trial, but there were a few other tidbits! At one point in this episode when Jin (spelling? lol) and Sun were talking about where they would raise their baby, right before they got interrupted, I was positive that Sun was about to tell Jin that it might not be his baby. When he does find that out (he most definitely will!) it should be very dramatic, but we'll push that aside and concentrate on more insane things for now! Before I get into the Kate-centric parts, I'll touch on one huge thing that I will write more about later since the next episode is about it. The helicopter never made it to the freighter! Oh my gosh! What drama!!! That leaves so much to be imagined and I am dying to see some of the explanation for it tonight!

Now, onto the Kate-centric part! On the island in the present there was Kate and Sawyer. He was really sweet and making up for his jerkiness from the walk to the radio tower. That is, until he once again went back to saying he really didn't want to have a baby with Kate. Jerk! He so deserved it when she slapped him! *Flash forward* Kate's back home (one of the "Oceanic Six" as we've known for a while now) and on trial for murdering her mom's husband/ her stepfather. Everything seems to be normal and boring (as much as it can get for a murder trial) until her attorney mentions that she has a son! Ah! A SON!!!! Sawyer's?!? We'll soon find out. Everything surrounding the son in this episode is very cryptic and his name is never mentioned. He is just "the baby" or "my son" or "your grandson" (when her mom comes in to tell Kate she won't testify against her). Then, we're back in the courtroom and who walks in to testify in her favor?! None other than JACK!!! He tells the fabricated story about the eight who survived the crash (Eight??? That raises even more questions. Why not just say that it was the Oceanic Six who had survived?? Weird!) and how Kate supposedly saved everyone's lives. Side thoughts now... To me, this raises even more questions about what happened between them being on the island at the present and the flash forwards. Why have they fabricated this entire intricate story? What are they so carefully protecting? What are they so terrified that someone will discover if they find the island. The way they go to such extremes and are so cryptic, it seems like something far more extreme and valuable than having someone find out where the island is and who is now on it.

Whatever... back to Kate-centric-ness!! Jack is asked if he loves Kate and in a heartbreaking moment he says that he used to, but that he doesn't anymore! :( AH! Upon hearing this, my thoughts swung from Sawyer being the baby's father to "maybe it's Jack's kid!" After a while, the trial is over, and Kate is free (but can't leave the state). She goes out back to get her taxi, where Jack finds her and tells her that it wasn't true that he doesn't love her anymore (YAY!). They are making plans to do something, but Kate invites him over and suddenly he has to get back to the hospital. He doesn't want to see the baby and Kate says that until he finally comes to see her and the baby, they can't do anything together. At this point, I was positive that it was Jack's baby and that for some reason he really didn't want to see or acknowledge it for some reason. Kate goes home to her house and her baby, where his identity is finally revealed. He's not really a baby at all, he's a toddler. And, to my shock (and to the shock of everyone I was watching it with), it's AARON!!!!

What a fabulous ending to this episode!!! This once again raises many questions. Once again, what really happened on the island?? Between the present-time in the episode and the flash-forward, something horrifying has happened (at least that's what I'm convinced). Claire was raving about how much she loved being a mother, so I'm sure she wouldn't just give Aaron to Kate unless something horrible has happened to her (DEATH?!). What a great episode!! This is exactly why I watch this series! A twist every second!
< 1 2 3 4