Lost

Eggtown

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 21, 2008 on ABC

• The usual effect of focusing on Kate

Of all the characters on "Lost", Kate is the least defined of the prominent leaders. In fact, compared to the rest of the island leadership (counting both tribes together), she continues to be a contradictory mess. Her status as the "wild card" has largely amounted to being a love interest for two strong personalities, even though she has treated both Jack and Sawyer horribly at one time or another.

Recent developments have hinted at a direction for the character, particularly the possibility of pregnancy in the one part of the world where it is absolutely fatal. That possibility was used as a red herring for the events in the flash-forward, where Kate is obviously worried about her "son". This might have presented some interesting plot complications. After all, if Kate had survived pregnancy on the island, that would have to be explained somehow.

This leads into a complicated encounter with Sawyer. First, she uses Sawyer in her bid to get information out of Miles, who is turning out to be rather talented when it comes to enlightened self-interest. Then she appears to seek comfort with him, yet gets angry when he celebrates the news that she's not pregnant. When Sawyer calls her out for her constant manipulations, she slaps him across the face.

It's unfortunate that Sawyer didn't think (or know) to remind Kate that there's a damn good reason to celebrate her lack of motherhood, and that her entire personal history is a testimony to running away from problems. This episode only confirms that Kate hasn't changed significantly since the beginning of the series, and she still hasn't accepted what the island has to offer.

The message, it seems, is that the process of surviving the "rescue" will teach her the value of responsibility. The story that eight passengers survived the crash, but only six were still alive by the time of rescue, does not bode well for Claire anymore. Something must happen to convince Kate to take custody of Aaron, perhaps at Claire's request. Jack's issues suggest that Claire's death (or inability to leave the island) was a personal wound, so perhaps he learned the truth about their father.

Whatever the case, Aaron is meant to be a part of Kate's overall redemption, or at least the most glaring opportunity. That plays into her agreement not to leave the state during her ten years of probation. She doesn't take full responsibility for her actions, but she does take a step in the right direction. It's unfortunate that this step is connected to decisions on the island that directly contradict any semblance of growth.

More to the point, Kate is still being defined by her relationship to others, not by any skill set or active agenda of her own. Kate is still running away from herself. She jumps between Jack and Sawyer, respecting neither in the process, and yet she is treated with undue respect in return. Even the cover story for the Oceanic 6 is designed to make her look like a hero. After the "rescue", she takes on the role of mother to Aaron. But it's clear that she has yet to find peace within herself.

Kate's plea agreement will no doubt play into the situation at the end of Jack's flash-forward in "Through the Looking Glass". Kate has more than a persona reason to avoid a return trip to the island; it would violate her probation. Yet one could argue that this particular episode sets the stage for a later decision to help Jack get back. That might be the only way for Kate to find redemption, since this is certainly not the moment.

Beyond Kate, this episode touches on some other important character moments. Locke continues to fall apart without guidance from Jacob, and he tightens control over the rest of the tribe as a result. His treatment of Miles was clever and terrifying in the same moment. If this is how far Locke will go now, just how bad will it get?

One interpretation of Miles and his ghost-busting is a complicated con, but it may be more than just a matter of grabbing money. Perhaps he has chosen to apply his abilities in such a manner because he feels he has no choice. His extortion of Ben was too specific to be a general desire for illicit wealth, and his willingness to turn against the rest of the team suggests a personal crisis. That may play into the scenario that leads to the "Oceanic 6" deception.

Of course, that may take a bit longer to evolve, because returning to the "rescue boat" is not going to be easy. The disappearance of the helicopter is hardly unexpected, after Daniel's warning to Frank in the previous episode, and it should begin to explain some of the mysteries about the island and the difficulties getting there and getting away. If nothing else, the "rescue" arc has given the writers enormous opportunity to shed light on major open questions.

Unfortunately, the focus on Kate and her supposed "mysterious" personality is a letdown. As luminous as the actress can be, the writers have spent more than three seasons on the character with little or no progress. Considering how many of the other prominent characters have been given substantial growth, Kate seemed stunted in comparison.
  • Well Kate FF, and Kate wants to talk to Miles to see whether they know bout her past or not.

Great episode, the end made it even better. Damn i really didn't see that coming, if you guys did see that coming than you are psychic. When you look back at the episode one scene now gets a lot more meaning too. I am referring to the scene of Kate and Claire with Claire asking Kate to pick up Aaron, just great.

Always nice to see Jack in the FF's. the only lame thing in the episode is the on and off relation of Sawyer and Kate i mean make up your mind. Ok Sawyer was being a dickhead but you allready knew that, and if you need comfort it's just a little bit sad to always run to Sawyer. But i guess he's enjoying it :P. Well lets hope that the next episode is as exciting as this one.
  • Interesting title, alright episode. Kate-Centric Episode.

(Spoilers)

This was a decent episode, but nowhere near the caliber of the past three. It's hard to have a bad episode of Lost though they do exist (r.e. Nikki & Paolo's Episode), this episode wasn't bad at all just very predictable, but still revealing. I think that this episode will prove to be a valuable set up for future ones, but it was solid, not great. Though I must award .5 points for the lovely shots of Evangeline Lilly.

Kate's Story: Flash-Forward, Kate is insisting on going in the back way, but must go in the front door through a mob of photographers for her trial. She is remanded into custody and her lawyer wants to bring "him" in to help sway the jury, by "him" the lawyer means Son (Many saw this one coming). The reason the case is going to trial is because Kate's mom is going to testify. During the trial Jack takes the stand and makes Kate out to be a saint...by lying...when cross examined by the DA, she asks Jack if he loves her, he says not anymore. Kate's Mom comes to see her and wants to see her grandchild, she is also dying and does not want to testify against Kate, so Kate asks her not to. This must of happened because Kate gets a plea deal where she gets 10 years probation and must not leave California. She returns home to her son, a little and platinum blonde (read very familiar) child of about 4, she picks him up and addresses him...Aaron! Many saw this one coming a mile away, but for many it's also a shocker.

On the island: Locke gets Ben some breakfast and Ben manages to irritate Locke. Kate and Sawyer are dealing with her possible pregnancy and Kate is also looking for Miles. Kate manages to get Miles' location from Hurley (not a hard task) and she strikes a deal with Miles, he'll share his info about her if she can get Ben to talk to him. Kate sets up a ruse with Sawyer to lure Locke away and she gets Miles to talk to Ben, the shocker here is that Miles is willing to tell his employers that Ben is dead if Ben gives him 3.2 million dollars. Miles keeping his end tells Kate all he knows, which is that she is a felon, etc. Jack returns with Juliette, Daniel, and Charlotte and makes people aware they'll be rescued soon. He also tries to call the freighter, but nobody picks up. He gets Charlotte to use the emergency line, and we find out even though Sayid, Desmond, and Frank left the prior day, they haven't gottent to the freighter.

Technically the show was on par with what you would expect from Lost. Solid directing, good dialogue, and some decent acting. Terry O'Quinn has been spot on this season with Locke and Evangeline Lilly did a good job of maintaining Kate's composure and demeanor during this episode. Michael Emerson was underused here, he is always awesome on the show.

Good episode, not great, but you cannot win them all. In the overall context of the series, this episode was well above average. They have really set the bar high this season and lets hope they can keep it up. More info is being revealed, but more mysteries are still emerging. Reveals are great, but too many at once and the show becomes just like every other of it's genre. Fortunately it looks like things will be picking up next week, so it's likely that Lost will continue to remain strong this season.
  • Miles, Kate, and Sawyer get one over on Locke. Ben is playing them all. Kate is free in the future and has baby Aaron.

The show seemed to drag. Can one character not be played by Ben? I love Locke, but does this guy always have to get played by his father and now Ben. A lot of wasted time about Kate. We could have avoided the trial by just starting will her getting off and a quickly explaining. Use the rest of the time to give us some clues about Jack and Kate in the future. As for on the island, we got nothing new except the chopper did not get to the boat easily. Did anybody expect it to? I love the show but the same characters keep acting the same way (getting conned in the same way or playing the same tired love triangles). I want to see the characters evolve some. Overall average progression from eggtown.
  • Probably one of the best endings to a Lost episode this season, no wait… ever! Who saw that ending coming? I know I certainly didn't!

So, it's a Kate-centric episode and we learn that she was infact one of the Oceanic Six and everyone knows who she is and what she did and she is still wanted for murder, arson etc. etc. We see her on trial in her Flash Forward and from the charges it seems unlikely she'll get let off, but we all know she does from her encounter with Jack in Through the Looking Glass. So from this we're left wondering… how did she manage to get off?

On-Island Kate wants to speak to Miles and ask him if he knows who she is - if everyone on the outside world know that she's a fugitive. He tells her he'll tell her what he knows if he can have 1 minute with Ben. This may be a hard task as Locke has him locked up under "his" house.

Kate asks Sawyer for help and inturn both con Locke so that Kate can get Miles to see Ben. Miles tells Ben that he can tell his people that he was already dead when they got to the Island - in return of $3.2 million! How does Ben have so much money to play with? He certainly doesn't hold down a full time job with benefits After Miles' time with Ben Kate gets the information out of Miles that she wants. Everyone on the outside world does know who Kate is, and is still a wanted criminal! Oh dear Kate, what will you do?! Staying with camp Locke doesn't seem such a bad idea now - although she has no choice but to go back to Jack because Locke has banished her from camp Locke as punishment for freeing Miles to see Ben! Locke seems to have lost the plot completely!

Back to the Flash Forward and we see Jack Shepherd as a character witness at Kate's trial. Apparantly, according to Jacks statement, only eight people survived the crash and Kate was the one who rescued everyone! We didn't get much else as Kate told him to stop! So, just why exactly have they lied about there being eight survivors? Only six got rescued so who where the two that "died"? Why were they lieing about what happened to them? Seems like this lie has gone in Kates favour, however, as Kate's mum isn't going to testify against her and the courts aren't going to go against someone who "rescued" people after a plane crash! So Kate gets 10 years probation and isn't allowed to leave the state! She claims that she isn't going anywhere… oh, and yeah, she has a son! Is it Sawyers? Did she really get pregnant on the Island and has somehow survived the third trimester (being if they were on the island that long), or had she delivered the baby off island after they where rescued?! So many questions!!

It isn't long before we see her son though. She goes home and is reunited with her little boy. He looks around two years old, he's blonde… blonde?! He must be Sawyers! Zoom in on them hugging each other, he's clearly happy to see her as he says "Mommy"… and I'm like awww. And then boom - she's says his name and it's probably the most OMGWTF moment ever on Lost. She says "Hi Aaron"!

Well, we all know Aaron isn't her son, so why is she claiming him to be? And what has happened to Claire?! This certainly puts a twist on the whole psychic telling Claire that no one else must raise her child! Is Aaron now in grave danger because he is being taken care of by Kate?

I think now we know why Kate wasn't happy to hear Jack saying they need to go back in Through the Looking Glass, because if they were to go back and rescue the others everyone will know that she didn't actually rescue anyone and she'll probably go to jail - oh, and everyone will know Aaron isn't her son if Claire is still on the Island!

Oh the mind boggles! Lost, I love you! My review and more at www.lost-isle.net
  • LOST Season 4 "Eggtown" Another great and revealing episode of Lost, many I love this show. Hells yeah there are spoilers

first off I would like to start from the end, first things that comes to mind is WHAT THE **** It sounds like they kill Claire off if Kate somehow has Aaron. Unless it's Sawyer's kid and they just named him Aaron. I also wonder was I the only one a little dissapointed there wasn't a little girl on girl action with Kate and Claire. I know it won't happen and that's good it wouldn't fit into the story, but I have been pushing for it since season one. I also would like to see a little more of Kate if we have to see Sawyer without a shirt than they can give us a little bit more of a view of Kate.

I'm interested to learn more about Ben, he apparently had a lot of money or at least Miles or "bruce lee" as Saywer called him thinks he does. I think Sawyer used Bruce Lee already on Gin, but I'm not sure. I'm not so sure about Miles, Charlotte and Daniel yet. I was just thiking as Desmond asked them about Penny, if maybe she has another group coming since she talked to Charlie at the end of last seasn before he died and now she knows something is wrong, and there location is now open, or is in an out. Going back to Kate I liked that at first we didn't know it was a flash foward, or at least I didn't but I guess I should have. I was wondering why she was on trial in the U.S. and then when Jack was a witness I realized it was in the future.

Now we also have to wonder about the helicopter it's no were to be found, it looks like they will elaborate on that next week. They showed that rocket earlier or whatever it was and it was off by 30 seconds and they mentioned the bearing and taking a direct path so that could have something to do with the missing chopper as well.

Finally, I have to say I'm really questioning Locke, has he gone nuts, or nuttier I guess. Jack doesn't really seem much better. Is one group straying and becoming wierd like the others. I thought it was funny last week when the helicopter landed on the island and they met the new people, the group tended to seem like the others did when they met them, very suspicious and not wanting to leave the island. I just thought that was interesting.
  • Another great flash-forward continues the give-and-take relationship we love about this show. Lost continues to give you answers, and once you think you know what's coming, boom, it takes your breath away.

I knew from the moment Kate uttered the words "My Child" that she was talking about Aaron, but damn if this wasn't one fun ride. This episode reveals one of the key points that I wondered about since season one. What would happen if Kate got off the island? Flash forward to some unknown time in the future and we get to see Kate's trial. Of course, as this season of Lost often does, it takes a while before you can really get your barings and know if you're looking at the future or the past, but once we find out we're looking at our favorite criminal's life post-island, things start rolling.

I really dug the whole trail flashforward. It was a nice surprise to see Jack testify and an even nicer thing to see what I'm guessing is the "offical" story about the plane crash. Kate getting off from the crime rubbed me the wrong way a bit (come on, who gets to see the defense's key witness before he/she testifies?), but really, if you're going to advance the story Kate can't be in prison.

I guess it was right around the time of Kate and Claire doing laundry that I realized Aaron might be taken off the island by Kate. I'm interested to see how this shapes out.

As for the island mechanics itself, I absolutely loved Locke's breakfast treat to Miles and giggled like a school boy when he left him in the room alone.

Interesting note about Sayid and company not being back to the freighter yet, can't wait to see that played out.

Other than that, another fine installment in a season full of them and it's got me drooling for the next episode.

So much for those worries about jumping the shark back in season three, huh?
  • Ah... Kate again.

I normally don't like Kate episodes. I haven't actually enjoyed one since Born to Run back in the first season. What Kid Did and Left Behind were both really boring compared to the other character's flashbacks. Anyway, this one did actually advance the plotline, so I'm thankful for that. I had seen a spoiler about the baby, so I wasn't surprised at all. I wish I had been though. It certainly made for a little plot twist. I'm very curious as to why Jack has a problem with Kate having Aaron, though. They must have made some nasty deal to get off the island.
  • Another solid episode of Lost.

Kate episodes tend to split the audience. Much like Sawyer episodes, Kate episodes are character driven, therefore her episodes feel "disconnected" from the main storyline. This time around, it doesn't fully apply, but partly, yes, it does.

The island plot was really good episode. I enjoyed it more than in the previous one. Locke going season2-crazy is intriguing. I'm sure most of you have noticed, but in the opening, the writers copied a scene from a season 2 episode(Maternity Leave). Locke and Ben has almost the same conversation, and Locke has the same reaction. I'm not much of a "shipper", but the romantic storyline between Sawyer and Kate was done very well. Much better than in the 3rd season I believe. But for me, the best part was Miles' odd conversation with Ben. Why does he want exactly 3.2 million? Who Ben is? Is Ben using the island mainly to hide? Maybe, afterall, Ben isn't that connected to the island as he claims. Another scene I thought was incredible... well, Locke's and Miles'. I've never seen that grenade trick before, and I wouldn't have thought that it'd be Lost where I see it first. 24, maybe. Lost, no way. It was awesome! Such a badass moment for John. The beach storyline was good. I loved the Sun/Jin moment at the beginning. I think it sets up their flashforward. Also,Charlotte calling the boat... I got goosebumps. The helicopter never arrived on the freighter. So I guess next episode's going to be "helicopter-centric". I can't wait.

But before jumping to the next episode, let's see the flashforward...

It was good. It dragged at times, but it was good. First of: Evangeline Lilly is beautiful. I mean, wow. Secondly... the ending. Amazing. Such an emotional moment turned into a shocking revelation within about 2 seconds. I didn't really see it coming, although I had my suspicion when I saw that Kate's "son" has blonde hair. This raises many questions, but first and foremost: What happened to Claire? Was Desmond's vision wrong? Did Desmond lie? Did Claire die in the future?

The scene with Kate and her mother was very moving too, but unfortunately, some of the court scenes were "meh". Jack's testemony was interesting, though. He claims only 8 people survived the crash, and 2 died later on -- that'd be the O6. Obviously they're forced to lie. Overall, great episode, but it didn't advance the main storyline much.
  • The flash forward was pretty intense, I enjoyed every bit of it, maybe except the fact that it was slow, the island happenings were great as well and the only thing I disliked was how early I predicted the so-called twist at the end.

Kate, how I love Kate. Well, enough of my personal feelings for Evangeline Lilly, I shall get on with what happened in this episode. The court scene, family scene and the Jate scene were all so emotional, intense and pretty much nerve-wrecking for me. I always wanted Jack and Kate to end up together and they eventually did, I guess, at least as much as I know. Anyway, whatever was happening on the island was surely really, well you could say very fast paced and just sort of, "woah," "huh," "what," for me pretty much. The only bad side about this episode is that it will take forever before I see another Kate-centric episode. *Sob*
  • The title's confusing enough, but this one's a disappointment

This is an episode that appealed to me a bit less then some of the other ones. After all, the flashforward doesn't reveal much that we didn't already know. It also raises a lot more questions that the other flashbacks should have told us.. Then again, maybe it's because I've seen so many trials on the various Law and Orders and David E. Kelley shows that I can't help but look at the flaws. But then again, maybe the writers of Lost don't consider courtroom fare part of their work.

The list of charges levied at Kate is impressive, yet I'm pretty sure that the D.A. could've gone further. Wasn't she responsible for a bank robbery that led to the deaths of four other people in 'Whatever the Case May Be'? Or shouldn't she have been tried for accessory for the death of Tom in 'Born to Run'? We know the marshal knew about it in 'Exodus'; why didn't the D.A. even try? Even if the charges were dismissed, it certainly would have made Kate look guiltier. And if Diane hadn't flaked on the murder of her father (we'll get to that in the middle) she would have still had to stand trial for those charges.
    And the presentation was even more wrong. Everyone who's seen an episode of L.A. Law knows that the prosecution presents its entire case and then the defense starts playing character witnesses. And why didn't Kate want to testify? From all the evidence we've seen, her father was an abusive drunk who might have molested her for years. Even given the extenuating circumstances, I find it hard to believe that any jury, celebrity status or not, would have found her guilty. And this is the same jury pool that let O.J. walk.

Because the flashbacks are full of these loopholes, this undercuts 'Eggtown'. Which is a bit of pity because what's happening on the island is fascinating. Locke has taken over the barrack (popularly referred to as New Otherton) and is trying to get information out of Ben. And once again, even though he has the advantage, Ben is still toying with him What's more, Locke is revealing that he's got an ultra-violent streak that is not at all appealing. The scene where he puts a grenade in Miles' mouth, awesome as it was, is not something that Locke would have done even a month ago. However, this is Kate's story, and despite what Sawyer reminded her of just one day earlier, she still needs to know if they know about her. So she gets Miles out the boathouse, and then does a master juggling act of getting Miles and Ben in the same room. This leads to another of the high points where, even if you understand it, it still has the propensity to thrill, as Ben admits more to Miles in one minute than he has to Locke in three days of captivity. It's also clear that Ben, for the first time, seems at something of a disadvantage, but then he such a good poker player, we can't really tell if he's being level. What crimes did Ben commit? Who does Miles work for? Believe it or not, we're actually on the verge of getting some answers.

Then there's more of the relationship between Kate and Sawyer. Kate seems overly concerned about getting pregnant (we assume that's what's happened because of the flashforward) but why is she so concerned about it here? The obvious answer is that she's talked with Sun or Juliet and they've told her that all pregnant women die in their second trimester. But the way that Kate behaves in the episode, I'm pretty sure that she doesn't know that. Considering that, I think Sawyer's attitude towards Kate in their final scene together is somewhat justified. Kate does seem to be flitting between Jack and Sawyer for the past three seasons, and now that rescue does seem imminent, she's doing it again, under much harsher circumstances. Does she not want to set down roots? Is she always someone who has to be on the run? Seems that way.

Of course, when the final flashforwards are taking place, it seems that's what's going on. Kate is a mother, and she seems more than willing to stop running for her child (Even if, as we find out in the last word of the episode, that's it's not really her son.) But maybe Kate doesn't want to lie anymore. Perhaps that is the reason that she doesn't want Jack to tell his story, because she doesn't seem to want to accept the cons that have been spinning (Or maybe she finds that the cons are so obvious that it would be hard enough for anyone to believe. After all, everyone seems to be going to pretty elaborate means to say that during her testimony and after everything that we're supposed to believe here, especially when everyone seems to be bend over backwards not to mention who Kate's son is.)

Kate also manages to face down the last ghost that has been stalking her---- dear old Mom. Yes, it's nice that she found a place in that cold black shell that Diane calls a heart not to testify against her daughter, but it doesn't change the fact that she hasn't so much as come to visit her since whatever rescue is coming. And even then, she wants something --- to see her grandson. One of the strongest scenes comes when Kate tells Diane she'd rather rot in prison then let her dying mother meet him. Good for Kate.

Of course, right now, it's beginning to look like no one is going to get rescued. After all, the helicopter that was carrying Sayid and Desmond took off yesterday, and yet somehow has not reached the freighter. What the hell is going on now? Is there some significance in the fact that Dan whispered that he had to stay on the exact same coordinates? Maybe that's why the first helicopter we saw near the island crashed.

In many way Lost has been all about cons, and that's certainly true of 'Eggtown'. Jack, who seemed to be the most forthright person on the island, now is maintaining the largest con of all on the rest of the world, and Kate seems willing to do so. Sawyer and Kate pull one of the better cons against Locke when they managed to get Miles and Ben into the same place. Miles seems to be willing to maintain another con, as long as he gets his. And Kate is now willing to con the world into thinking she was a great hero when in actuality the child she was supposedly carrying isn't even hers. As is often the case on the show, Kate seems to get away with it, and unlike Hurley and Sayid, she doesn't seem to be paying any huge price for it.

Yet one can't help but remember the words of that supposed psychic Richard Malkin when Claire came to him about her pregnancy -- he told her that her child "must not be raised by another". At the time his actions seemed designed to get Claire on the island, but now that it actually seems to be happening, is there something to it? Will Kate eventually have to pay a price for raising Aaron? And, if so, what form will it take? (This is a hint to the writers, too; you'd better explain if Aaron has more significance than you've given him, and you're running out of time.)

My score:7.5 (more because of the legal issues than any specific problem with the episode.)
  • Omg I was waiting for Kate's flash-forward because she is one of my favorite characters on LOST. FANTASTIC episode, top to bottom SPOILERS INSIDE....

I'm sorry if most of the people in the forums say it was predictable, I believe if you read spoilers or theories even then it wouldn't be predictable because the writing on this episode kept you second guessing throughout. I remember once someone on this forum saying something about Kate referring to Aaron as the "he will be wondering where I am" to Jack in the S3 finale, but I always thought why would someone say that unless someone read spoilers and the spoiler revealed Kate lived with Claire off the Island. Anyway I still didn't think it was Aaron. I kept going back and forth with Jack or Sawyer. I'm a HUGE Jater so I desperately want Kate to end up with Jack (it WILL happen, it HAS to) so when Kate said "my son" I was screaming at the TV wanting to kill her. I was sooooo p*ssed at why she got pregnant with Sawyers baby but wasn't sure until Jack in the courtroom said 'he doesn't love her now', I was like 'B*tch had Sawyers baby. However, I still wasn't sure until I saw Kate go to Sawyer and sleep with him AGAIN and then I thought, yea the Sl*t had sex with him AGAIN and later on in the season Jack will find out and hate her for sleeping with Sawyer AGAIN (that's why he doesn't lover her anymore in the flash-forward). However, AGAIN I was surprised when in the parking lot Kate and Jack meet and I was like, omg there is hope for Jater cos it sounded like it might be Jack's child and not Sawyers (I couldn't figure out why Jack wouldn't want to see the baby but I knew now it wasn't sawyers cos Kate didn't sleep with Sawyer the 2nd time and Kate said she wasn't pregnant in the first place). Then I thought right at the end when we see the baby, even though the baby was blonde… a la Sawyer, I was praying for Kate to say some reference to Jack but was SHOCKED when she said "AARON" There you go, NOT predictable at all.
  • I never had a bigger heart attack watching Lost than I did with this episode!

Season 4 of Lost is topping all other seasons as the best season ever. Because everything is absolutely unexpected and each episode becomes more shocking than the previous one.

But Eggtown is the biggest of "shock" episodes of the entire series. I've never felt a greater need to be jumping around screaming OMGWTF but I was watching with my dad so I had to hold it in. My heart is still racing from watching that episode. Since it's too early to reveal stuff, I will save that for later reviewers. While there is interesting stuff with the on-island storyline, the real shockers are in Kate's flashfowards. Every single revelation in this episode was absolutely nothing like I expected. I want to congradulate the writers of this episode for such a wonderful episode of good writing and great suspense. Keep on writing and keep up the greatness that is Season 4!!!
  • The best Kate-centric episode yet!

I am so impressed by this amazing Kate-centric episode! Throughout the episode we are given answers in questions that the 3rd season finale had created. Evangeline Lilly as Kate was outstanding,her flashforward was so interesting and informative and the island storyline was great. The most shocking moment comes at the end, one of the best cliffhanger of lost ever!
    Kate encounters Miles in the cabin near the dock where he is being held by Locke and ask him to tell her what he knows about her. They make a deal when Miles tells her to take him to Ben and then he would confess everything he knows about her. Meanwhile at the beach Jack returns with Juliet,Dan and Charlotte. They communicate with the freighter to learn if Desmond and Sayid have arrived safely but they seem not knowing anything about them. The helicopter did not arrive.
    Back at the othersville Kate takes Miles to see Ben and he demands 3.2million dollars in order to keep his mouth shut and don't tell anything about him to his boss.
    In Kate's flashforward we see her in the court of law trying to prove that she is innocent when she is actually guilty about her stepfather assassination. Her ill mother encounters her and tells her that she is no longer against her,she does not want to testify against her anymore since things have changed when she thought her daughter was dead. In addition Jack goes to the court to defend Kate by saying lies about her being a hero when she saved 5 out of 8 survivors from the crash.
    Since Kate's mother does not testify against her they come to an agreement with her lawyer and Kate cannot leave the country for 10 years. Kate is positive about this fact,since she is not going anywhere as she says because she has a child.
    In the end, Kate goes to a house to see her son. She enters the bedroom, sit to the bed where her son sleeps and when the child wakes up and tells her "hello mom",she replies "Hello Aaron" !!!
    OMG!!!
  • One of the best episodes of Lost, ever.

Just when Lost was continually going down hill in season 3 they brought it back to life within the final minutes of the season 3 finale. Kate is one of the most intriguing characters on the show and personally one of my favourites. Her story is a great one. She manages to trick every single person that thinks has the upper hand on her and I think thats what I love. Hurley's face was hilarious when he realized she got the info from him. The mind-game playing with Locke and Sawyer was great too, I also think she was lying when asked if she thought she was still pregnant. Bring on next week.
  • Merry Christmass to Kate! She's been such a good girl this year that not only Santa grants her her freedom but also a son of her very own.

Problem is: that's not exactly her son but Claire's Aaron. And so Kate has officially become the Ben of Aaron's story but oddly enough she makes such a good job at it as Ben did raising Alex; Aaron is protected from the press, from her trial and even from Kate's mother which is why Kate's lawyer has no other choice but to call Dr. Jack Shepphard as Kate's character witness who tells the story of late Ana Lucia as if it were Kate's which finally allows her to go free.

To watch this once upon a fugitive doing everything on her power to run back to Claire & Charlie's son can only be compared to how this once upon a conwoman realizes that she can't stay to play house with Sawyer no matter how much she wants it to. In only one episode Kate has grown from love interest to mother, as strong and determined as if that's what she would've been all along. No one from the outside questions her word, her devotion to Aaron is as complete as it's his love for her and it's amazing how in a life filled with wrongs raising this child turns out to be the only thing Kate Austen has ever done right.
  • Amazing!

For some reason Kate centered episodes seem to have way more depth than other-character centered ones. Glad that we finally got to find out what had happened to Kate's mother, Dianne, cos I really thought she was dead.

I really feel sorry for Sawyer, the guy's trying so hard, he's finally found the woman of his life but all he gets is a slap. Kate better be pregnant and hormonal, otherwise no excuse for treating Sawyer like some random guy she's just slept with and now feeling guilty about it.

The episode raised so many questions (as if that's something new lol). Is the boy really Claire's? And how old was he, 2? Older? Obviously some time will pass from Kate getting off the island and Kate going on a trial. And why wouldn't Jack accept the boy?
  • excellent...

as usual they make you think one thing and do another, this time the scale of the mindfunk was much larger. it seems that a showdown between locke and someone is coming, perhaps jack, based on hurley's comments in his flash-forward. hurley's actions in the future, i believe, will affect the outcome of the six. he is the only of the six that has remained with locke, and none of locke's crew (that we know of, so far) are in the six. but why didn't claire make it (apparantly) if aaron did? she was part of desmond's vision that included charlie, and his visions had been correct. ?
  • Another mystery opens up...

I thought this episode was amazing! The smallest tidbit part like when Sun and Jin were talking was so kawaii(cute)... this whole episode opened up a lot, like was Miles Bens man on the boat, or not. I doubt he was though. The whole flash forward was solid, the face off between Kate and her mom was just... wow. The way Jack didn't want to see the child was mysterious and strange, but in the end it was actually Aaron!!! Now I wonder what happened to Claire, did Kate just leave Sawyer, ugh! And Jack admits he doesn't love Kate anymore, but 5 minutes later he says he lied about that... what happened to Juliet!? So this episode has a lot to offer for discussion and such.
  • Locke: (puts grenade in Miles mouth) Enjoy your breakfast.

Kate's need to extract information from the hostage may jeopardize her relationships with Locke and Sawyer. In flash forwards, Kate has a hard and difficult life off the island. This episode was another absolutely awesome episode of Lost the fourth season is so good, Kate was great in this every scene she is in is truely superb, I liked at the start of the episode when Locke and Ben were talking it reminded me of some of the great scenes in the hatch in season two (It feels like such a long time ago). Sawyer and Hurley are great both of them are very funny whenever there on screen together, they are the best double act since Chandler and Joey (Friends), Miles I feel sorry for I really like him, he is such a great character, I was happy to see Jin and Sun for once, there characters are rarely seen at the momment. So I have one compliant about the season at the momment were are all the characters, we see the main ones like Kate, Jack, Sawyer, Locke and Ben, but were are the others everytime we see them they are just like extras standing in the background, we rarely see them talking. But all in all "Eggtown" was a superb episode that was full of suspence and shocks I liked it alot, 10 out of 10.
  • Best Kate-centric episode? YES! One of the best episodes ever? Hell, no!

"Tabula Rasa", "Born to Run", "What Kate Did", "I Do" - Average at best.

"Left Behind" - poor

"Whatever the Case May Be" - one of the worst episodes ever.

Kate never got a really great episode. One of the main problems with Kate-centric episodes are the flashbacks: since "Tabula Rasa", they're basicaly the same over and over again: Kate running. Even in ok episodes like "Born to Run", the flashbacks had no real use in the overall story. So many flashbacks and what do we know about her? She killed her father, is running from the police and her dying mother can't even look at her. That's pretty much it.

"Eggtown" changed that. It's not one the best episodes ever, not even the best this season. However, is the best Kate-centric by far. For the first time since "Tabula Rasa" I got myself really interested on her story. The on island/off island events are very well conected, something that has never happened before on Kate's episodes.

It's interesting how the story is made in a way to make you have shure of one thing but in the end is like the writers were saying "fooled you", using just a name to not only change everything we were taking for granted, but also to shock us. It's a great episode for a second view: On the first time, we think it's basicaly an episode about how Kate became one of the Oceanic 6 and the Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle. Watch again and you see the seeds for that shocking ending were planted throughout the episode.

However, in general, it's a filler episode, with no "WTF" moments untill the end. Great moments like the opening scene (that was very, very funny - Ben and Locke are awsome characters, and their scenes together are aways worth watching). Miles is also becoming a personal favourite. More questions, as usual. One thing I didn't understand is why Jack says in court that the 815 crash landed on an island, when we know that the cover up story is that the plane crashed into the ocean. "They" even planted a fake 815 down there. What happened? If jack is part of the cover up, he could never tell anything different from the "official" story regarding the 815 crash. Hope it wasn't a plot hole.

Anyway, finally I can say I've wathed a Kate episode and I liked, very much. Even the triangle looked interesting this time around (still, I don't give a dam about it).
  • I think the ending was very obvious.

When my girlfriend and I were watching this episode, we started to think that the "HE" that Kate referred on the Third Season finale was her parole officer. On the development of the episode, my theory began to change. In fact, it changed in the first ten minutes when we could see Aaron in so many scenes (when we'd never seen him too much). And when Kate said that she didn't want that her lawyer use "her son" in the trial, a new theory came up. But I think it was sort of obvious. She confirmed Sawyer that she wasn't pregnant, she didn't know how to carry Aaron, she never said to Jack that her son was "his" son, and Jack didn't wanted to see him. I think this last thing was because Aaron is his nephew and he would be tempted to tell him that Kate wasn't her mother. But, the real questions that came to me was: what happened to Claire? Is she dead or she stayed on the Island and Kate kidnapped Aaron and this is one of the things that the Oceanic 6 are hidding? How did Jack know that Aaron is his nephew? Does he really know it?
  • A great way to use flash forwards!

I was worried for a while that flashforwards would only be used for plot purposes only. Here we have a fine example of how it answers some questions, but still gives us some insghtful characterization. I always thought Kate was a good character despite her obvious "blandness" and this shows more depth to her, maternal concerns and it was nice to see her mom again.

John Locke is quickly becoming quite the antagonist. He's gone from being the estranged hunter to the guy you feel reluctant to trust, to a complex guy with a plan. Now, he's just running amuck it seems. Does he really know what he's doing? That's a good one.

And from what Miles said, Ben seems like there's far more to him than meets the eye.
  • Another fine example of the 4th season of Lost. THough not quite as good as last weeks, we are still offered a shocker at the end.

THis episode was mainly about Kate and her court hearing after she escapes the island. Jack makes an appearance in this future scene, and we know that the events happening here are still long before that flash forward last season where Jack called Kate and meant her to tell her they need to go back. I wonder what exactly happened. As usual the creators of Lost are keeping us sort of lost.

We are given scenes involving Kate and Sawyer back on the island which seems to explain the son that Kate is taking care of now in the flash forward. I'm left to wonder if the son is Sawyer's, and even if it is, it doesn't appear Sawyer made it off the island. Of course at the end we are given the big reveal about the baby which caught me totally by surprise. I won't spoil it for anybody who hasn't seen this episode yet, but it rivals last week's surprise conclusion.

THe scenes on the island were sort of boring this week, except for the scenes dealing with Locke. Locke seems to be losing it like he did back in the hatch. Once again Ben seems to be pulling his strings, and he is allowing his emotions to get the best of him. THe scenes involving the two of them are much like when Ben was being held prisoner back at the hatch and Locke was looking over him. WHat Locke does to poor Miles was truly horrifying and not something I exactly expected from Locke.

Other than Kate and Locke, nothing else really stuck out in this episode. We did learn a little information about the island's mysterious time changes, well I think it was this episode since I watched both this week's and last week's episodes together and might be combining the two, but nothing more. Overall a good episode.
  • Major revelations and some memorable moments make this another great installment. However, I feel the last scene was played out wrong. - Read my review for why!

The main focus of this episode is Kate, and like all previous episodes that focus on her it doesn't quite hit the quality bar compared to other main character-based episodes like of say Jack, Locke or Sawyer.

Still, in my opinion, this is the best Kate-centric episode of LOST so far because it contains some pretty memorable scenes that stand out head and shoulders above the rest.

First, the on island events of this episode that involved Kate were quite boring. Anything that didn't focus on her was quite interesting: Locke's encounters with Ben, Miles and Ben and lastly the classic final "Miles and Locke confrontation".
    The moment where Locke sticks a grenade in Miles' mouth and tells him to enjoy his breakfast was brilliant!

When Jack came into the picture in Kates flashforward, things got very interesting indeed.
    We learn that Jack has been lying quite heavily about the events that occured on the island after the plane crash. He tells a court room under oath that Kate was the hero who saved him and everyone else, only according to him, only 8 people survived the crash.
    A clear coverup to protect their friends they left behind from the large organisations that are yet to be revealed, who are trying to get to the island to use it for reasons not yet known!

Jack and Kate have a nice little scene together outside of the court room, this possibly shows us that they were involved for a short period but Jack clearly has some issues off the island, probably due to having to lie constantly about the on-island events and forgetting about the people they left behind.

The final scene: I feel was played out wrong, and heres why.
    We learn that "Kate's Son" is actually Aaron, it is my belief that some tragic event must occur where they have to make a split second decision to take Aaron off the island and split him up from Clare, either that or Clare is no longer with us.
    The scene ended with "Hey Aaron" and then some "Duh Duh Duh" music, I think this should have been more of a "Hey Aaron" and then about 30 seconds of slow, sad music making the viewer think "Why is Aaron off the island, what could possibly happen to make that happen?"
  • Now this is more like it! This is how the flashforwards should be used, showing crucial moments in the characters' lives that we've always wanted to see. If all the flashforwards are as good as this from now on the we'll never tire of them!

The first thing to point out about this week's episode is that there wasn't any previously sequence (although I felt it had more need for one than the first two episodes). Also the episode began with the trademark close-up on someone's eye shot which they hadn't done yet this season. Doing this reminded me of the first season, when things were simpler and gave a comforting feel. I think that's the best thing about this episode, it felt comfortable, like an episode from one of the earlier seasons. I prefer that this one was far more character oriented than the previous ones. It focused a bit on the Kate/Sawyer/Jack love triangle, but as far as love triangles go this one is actually handled pretty well. None of the characters really moved around much either, so the island action was simply split between the barracks and the beach, which I think works out better than everyone being all over the place.

One thing that was very different from the earlier season was that this was yet another flashforward episode. However unlike last week's this had a very definite point, it wasn't just filler until the (un)shocking ending. What will happen to Kate if she gets off the island is as big a landmark as how Locke ended up in a wheelchair. The only difference is that until last spring we thought they'd never get round to it. But here it was and it was great! I'm guessing Kate's lawyer was from those good people at Oceanic or whoever's claiming to be them, so there was a good chace he'd get Kate off. Although to be fair we knew that because she seemed free as a bird at the end of season 3. Thankfully they didn't play too much on would Kate get off or not, but rather how she would. This was done brilliantly in small steps that all led up to the believability that she would be allowed to go free.

Firstly there was the reveal that she had a son. Which nicely answered who the "he" she mentioned in the season 3 finale was. Then there was good old Jack, still beardless and apparently sober. But as this episode wasn't about him it didn't matter that we didn't get much of how messed up he is (or is becoming at least). Then came Kate's invalid mother. I recognised her name on the guest credits so for a moment thought the writing staff had forgotten that the last time we saw her she seemed to be at death's door. Fortunately they hadn't and it allowed for a particularly nice and moving scene. After the trial she had another nice little scene with Jack that showed there could still be a future for the two of them. Kate's comments towards Jack about her child had me thinking for a moment that maybe he was the father, although I never strayed from my first guess as to who the kid's dad was.

And I was right not too. In fairness I couldn't actually remember the father's name, but that didn't matter because I'd figured out that it was Claire's son Aaron who Kate was claiming as her own. I didn't think they'd have Kate be pregnant from a purely thematic perspective more than anything else. Kate's meant to be the main sex appeal on the show (although I still prefer Claire myself) and so making her pregnant wouldn't be the best move from that perspective. On top of that Claire a bit more to do than usual in an episode that she wasn't really a major part of. All that led me to the correct assumption as to the identity of Kate's child. However unlike last week's ending I was pleased with myself that I'd managed to guess the ending of an episode of Lost. I thought the ending of "The Economist" was pretty predictable and so it didn't do much for me, whereas before that I think I'd only ever guessed the ending of an episode once!

Although the flashforwards were the main part of this episode there was still loads that happened on the island. Kate was now staying with Claire in the barracks which allowed for a couple of nice scenes between the two of them. Although they haven't had much screentime together on the show what they have has been pretty important. Kate delivered Claire's baby and helped her find the medical station, so it's perfectly believable that they're friends. There was also a lot of Kate and Sawyer scenes too, which was great because we got to see Evangeline Lily in her underwear! Always good. Of course there was just as much nudity on show for the female audience thanks to Sawyer. It would appear that there's a good gym somewhere in the barracks because there's no way he'd be in that kind of shape even if he had been living off only fruit and fish for the last three months! The chemistry between the two and well written scenes meant that the nudity always seemed necessary and never just tacked on as a ratings ploy or anything.

Locke on the other hand wasn't so good in this episode. I'm not too happy with where his character's going this season. I understand that he wants to protect the island, but he seems to be going too far to do it. When he blew up all chances of escape last season it was understandable because he clearly didn't want any chance of his dad finding him. Here however it isn't the same, although putting a grenade in Miles' mouth was pretty cool. Because Miles is such a jerk it kind of made it ok for Locke to do that, although I couldn't help thinking that Miles should've just spat the grenade at Locke and let them both blow up. Locke's still okay for now, but they're going to have to give us another great Locke episode before they can really justify what he appears to be willing to do on the island.

Back at the beach it was nice to see Jin and Sun again, Jin in particular as this episode actually held his first line of this season! His English has clearly come on a long way and I like that he wants to make a life for Sun in America. Their conversation is most likely to set up a later storyline, but either way it's good to see them. Then there's Daniel and Charlotte who joined the beach camp. I'm still not sold on them, in fact my favourite newcomer was Frank and he was the only one of the three who isn't a main character. As with last week Daniel seems to be showing another more supernatural side of the show, by seemingly tying to focus some kind of psychic ability. Of course I could be way off and they may have just been playing a memory game, but I'm guessing that and the time delay from last week will come into play later in the season. These little moments are good for giving hints to the fans, but I'm still not big on where the show seems to be going with them.

Well, I think I've covered the main points of the episode. There was the issue of another con from Sawyer, but I'd guessed he was conning Locke all along. It made little difference in the end as the story would've worked either way. Miles also had a short scene with Ben, which will likely be of large importance down the line. But watching this episode in its own right, it was all about Kate. All of her scenes were done excellently and we got a whole load of information thrown at us as well as just as many new questions. But that's how Lost works and we love it. This episode worked well as a self-containing episode, and also drove forward the overall story. Despite some of the latter parts not being perfect, the main focus of the episode was excellent. A truly great episode that made the best use of the flashforward mechanic so far this season.
  • It was very emotional but...

It was really great story on emotional level and the flash forawrd of Kate - it was rather interesting. First the son thing and the connection with the Claire's talking about Kate should try it. And the end - I am not even sure if I get it right but if yes - wow. Another really stunning thing for the future.

When the flash forward was something really amazing, I cannot say the same thing about the events on island - they were somehow quite plain and I knew they tried to trick us for a while and make us think that Sawyer would have betrayed Kate but no - he would not do that.

So, it was good episode but not as good as previous ones.
  • On the island, Locke is becoming unpredictable and off the island, Kate finally has to face a jury for her "crimes". All in a slow but revealing episode.

7.4
    It's not often that we find out so much things in only one episode. Having that said, it all happens in Kates Flash-Forwards. Back on the island the pace of the storyline is really slow and not much happens. We learn a bit more about Ben, but the scenes with Kate and Claire (who has become really one-dimensional) are boring as hell. The best scenes are the ones with Locke. He is becoming more and more complex and unpredictable. After such a fast start this season I can live with the few problems this episode has. But we shouldn't forget that LOST isn't just about revealing secrets. It's about storytelling and I still believe that Kate is the least interesting character of all survivors. The big twist at the end was a brilliant shocker, but it worries me that LOST might be too much about Kate and Jack in the future.

My conclusion:
    A lot of doors for future storylines are opened here. But I hope we get back to a faster pace and more interesting characters soon.
  • great episode

Kate tricks Hurley into telling him where the new hostage is being kept. Kate finds the hostage and asks him something about her standing on the US? Locke catches Kate transferring the hostage out of his cell. Locke asks Kate to leave the barracks. In the flashforward, Kate finds herself having to face the court regarding her past crimes. When her mom decides not to testify against her, it gives her the leverage she needs to walk free but on probation. it's a really exciting story. The flashforwards are done so well, i can't wait for the next episode. It's a really exciting episode.
  • A flash forward episode focused on Kate. Her fate lies in the hands of her mother. Although its also a current episode focusing on Sawyer and Kates relationship. In the end, we see Kate holding none other than Claires baby, Aaron! Its a cliffhanger!

We still have no clue as to what happened exactly when the "oceanic 6" got rescued. These flash forward episodes are brilliant, while entertaining and irritating. Im so impatient, its hard to watch! I just want to know what happened to them! Kate getting off with 10 years probation is fair I think. We wouldn't want her sitting in a jail cell. When Kate said that her son wouldn't be put on the stand, I was like, son? What son? Of course they were showing the Sawyer scenes where you automatically assume that its his son they speak of. But then, how could it be? They couldn't have flashed forward that far! And then when Kate walks up the stairs, into the bedroom, you see the boy for the first time, and she calls him Aaron!!! I can't wait for this to be explained! Did something happen to Claire? Or did Kate steal Aaron? What an episode!!
< 1 2 3 4