Lost

Everybody Hates Hugo

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 12, 2005 on ABC

• One of my favorite episodes from season two.

Between Hurley's struggling with what to do with all the food, and the raft survivors being taken captive by who they think are the Alleged "others", this episode is well plotted and extremely entertaining. The last two scenes are what really got me.... When Hurley is handing out the food to everyone (especially the part where he gives Charlie the peanut butter for Claire), and Bernard finding out Rose is still alive. Besides the episode One of Them, this is defiantly high on my favorite season 2 episodes list.
  • Awesome.

The tail section survivors take Michael, Sawyer, and Jin to an abandoned Dharma station. Hurley is tasked with dividing up the food in the hatch. In flashbacks, Hurley quits his job and his best friend turns against him after he wins the lottery. I love the start with Hurley eating all the food and then Jin is there talking English - good dream. I love the scene where Jin and Michael hey out the hole and leave Sawyer and Ana Lucia hitting him witha rock - so funny. I love the Hurley and Charlie scenes - Charlie is so funny. Hurley shows Rose the hatch, I love Rose she is very cool. I love the way Rose and Hurley are in charge of the food. I also love the way the tail end of the end are awesome, great storyline. I love the Jack and Kate scene!
  • The testament that Hugo undergoes being in charge of the food and his past experiences relate quite well.

With Hugo being in charge of this newly found hatch-pantry if you will left me with this sense of irony about the fact that Hugo was in such a position, and we see him take full advantage of this privaledge by going to town with whatever was in sight. But after he undergoes the treatment he receives from Charlie about the fact that he is not being upfront about what is going on with Charlie and will not give in to his simple request for peanut butter because he sees down the line what is going to happen in result. The flashback is an exact relation to these circumstances that he is in on the island with him winning the lottery before the plane crash, and even though there is no actual showing of what happens to Hugo's friend, we can conclude that their friendship is destroyed after the media surrounds Hugo with this newly found lottery winner. So what else could Hugo possibly do besides blow it all up right?
  • Transition!!!!

Now that we know about what is inside the hatch, is time to focus more on the characters, and leave the secrets of the hatch to more later.

The tailplane crew are now frieds with sawyer and CIA. Another Type of Dharma instalation is revealed.

The central character is Hugo and his emotional State. So his flashbacks are only there to make sense to his feelings and to create the base needed to understand him. Is like when you whant to know why someone behaves the way he do and you ask that person to be able to understand him, that is exactly the flashbacks functions in this season 2.

The Main Hatch was explored, but we don´t have any news.

Overall, a episode without high moments.
  • This episode doesn't leave you hungry, but one part of your appetite will be sated

Early in the shows run, it seemed that Hurley is closer to the 'Everyman' member of the shows ensemble, the normal guy who seems to have a better step in the real world, like Xander in Buffy or Marshall in Alias. Of course, this being Lost, the everyman's a multimillionaire cursed with incredibly bad luck who spent some time in an institution, but still that's a pretty good read on him. Now that the shows gone by, I can't help but wonder is Hugo carrying some psychic gene in him as well.
    Consider the opening dream sequence of 'Everybody Hates Hugo', where he dreams the real world with Jin speaking English with a bruise from where he got hurt on the other side of the island and Walt on the side of a milk cart., both events he has no way of knowing about. Considering what has happened to Hurley in later seasons, is it possible that he has some latent psychic gift that the island has given him? I'm not ruling out, even though I have no evidence.

In the meantime, Hurley has been given a responsibility that he didn't ask for and, frankly, one that I question Jack for putting him charge of in the first place--- the food storage area. Hurley is faced with a windfall of food, and he is worried about what will happen when the others find this embarrassment of riches. We get a sense of what might happen when Charlie, Hurley's closest friend on the island, first learns about what's in the hatch. He presses Hurley repeatedly, and when he asked for a special favor--- peanut butter for Claire--- and doesn't get it, he takes a dim view of Hurley for being 'the man'. Normally, we would think this was mean of Charlie, but it has a special kind of resonance for Hugo. His flashback takes place in the hours immediately after he won the lottery. Turns out he was wary about the problems the money would bring before he thought it was cursed. Pre lotto, Hugo was a regularly guy who worked at a fast food place with his friend Johnny, and hung out a record store where he yearned for a woman he never had the nerve to ask out. The money did give him a sense of confidence--- he basically told his overbearing boss where to get off, asked the girl on a date, and performed an act of malfeasance on his ex-boss' lawn--- but even then, it's clear he was petrified of what would happen when he stopped being normal. (By the way, you might not have noticed, but Hurley's boss as the chicken shack would later be Locke's boss at the box factory. Which begs the question, if Hurley really hated this guy, why'd he hire him to work at one of his companies? This is one mystery we may never get to the bottom of.) The look of dismay on Johnny's face when he learns what his best friend has been holding out on speaks louder than any remark could about how right Hurley was.

So now Hurley's placed in a similar situation when Jack puts him in charge, and just like Sayid being forced to torture again or Michael losing Walt, he is afraid history will repeat itself. But his 'solution' is so extreme, we wonder if Hurley really was all there when he got let out of the psych ward. First of all, I don't buy that sacredly little Hurley would have had the time or inclination to get the dynamite out of the ship. Second, his decision to blow the place up in order to make sure that no one hated him would definitely not work--- I think Jack and Locke and all the others would be pissed to find out that they lost a working shower, a washer dryer, and guns because Hurley was a little scared. Furthermore, when he makes his actual solution--- just giving the food away because there is only enough to last one guy three months.--- it doesn't seem real either. If Desmond was really in that bunker for three years there would have to had been a lot more food for he and Kelvin to have survived as long as they did. Finally, it later turns out this distribution is just another fraud, though we won't learn this for another several episodes.

Meanwhile, the fate of the rafties is no longer a secret as Claire discovers the message bottle that was in it. She then talks it over with Shannon, who decides to make the ultimate decision up to Sun for some reason. Considering that she had the most at stake in regard to the raft, it's hard to imagine that either of these women could be more insensitive. Yes, we know Jin's alive, but to Sun, this leads her to think she'll never see her husband again. However, like Locke, she knows the most important thing on this island is hope and refuses to take that away from anyone.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the island, Michael, Jin and Sawyer (who seems to be weakening from the wound he took) find that they are not the prisoners of the Others, but rather another group of survivors--- the group that was referred to as 'the tailies'. Turns out they had a very good reason for taking the rafties prisoners: At one point they numbered 23, but 'the Others' have been frequent visitors, and now there are only five of them remaining. These people are scared, cold and really worn out, though we won't learn the full depths of their suffering until a few episodes later.

Ana Lucia appears to be the de facto leader. She hard core and almost over-the top offensive, and a lot of fans did not like her, though I can understand why she's as stressed as they can be. Eko, the man who attacked them and put them in a cage is quiet and mysterious, Libby (who we see for the first time) seems quiet and kind. But even though he won't become a regular, the final survivor is the one who has the most effect: it's Bernard. Yes, Rose's husband, the one that was missing since the Pilot and who Rose has never given up on still being alive. Rose makes an appearance of her own in this episode, doing the wash, and providing an ear to Hurley, which makes a seemingly insignificant event near the end--- where Rose saves the chocolate bar to share with her husband--- all the more moving. We don't get a lot of pleasant surprises on Lost, and knowing that these two will be reunited in the not-too-distant future, that'll bring a lump to your throat. 'Everybody Hates Hugo' isn't as strong an episode as some of the others one, mainly because the main story isn't as strong as the others, . But it's a pretty funny piece, and it has some truly emotional moments that we don't get often. We're still not sure what's going on in the hatch, and we don't know the story behind the Others actions, but it seems that we're getting somewhere.
    My score: 8.5
  • El gran Hugo

Todo hacía suponer que Hugo terminaría siendo lo que demostró ser durante todo el show: el buen tipo, lisa y llanamente. Lástima, porque necesitaba, al menos yo, que Hurley deje en algún momento de serlo. Porque así el personaje pasa a ser una caricatura que en un show así va de a poquito perdiendo fuerza y termina distorsionándose y debilitándose. El resto de a poquito va volviendo a llenarse de colores. Los personajes secundarios reaparecen y todo va volviendo a la normalidad, a la confortable realidad. Qué es del hijo de Claire? Qué corno es esa fuerza magnética que me sigue recordando al genio de Bioy...?
  • We learn more about the bunker, more about the people that are holding the raft guys, friendships are tried and tested but resolved with a nice jar of peanut butter - hmmm wonder if that would solve all problems in the world. LOL.

The episodes starts off with Hugo in the store cupboard of the bunker, gorging his way through bits of everything and then Jin appears speaking english at Hugo, which he comments on, only to be told that he's speaking korean and then a man in a chicken suit is standing next to him.

We have flashbacks to where Hugo falls after seeing that he won the lottery, when asked about it he does not tell his mom, he just puts the ticket into his pocket, the same thing occurs when he is at work, he just keeps quiet about it - even from his friends.

The others that are still at the bunker are looking around, trying to understand things, Sayid is trying to figure out what is behind the thick concrete that is causing so much magnetic interference. Hurley is getting quizzed by Charlie but he can't say anything about it.

The raft guys are still down a pit, but the buy and girl comes back and wants Jin to climb out, Sawyer tells him not too and she aims the gun at his head and then he has no choice, he says the same thing when its Michael's turn, Sawyer gets a rock thrown at him for his cheek. Then as Sawyer refuses to climb out, he gets the top closed on him, only for it to be opened later and him to climb out willingly.

Sayid and Jack explore the underside of the bunker, trying to find a way round the thick concrete ways but there is no way, he mentions to Jack that the only time he has heard about concrete being poured so thickly was after Chenobyll. But they still explore the different bits and pieces along the way.

Jack puts Hurley in charge of the food storage, but he doesnt really want to knowing that it will cause many problems and be the result that all will hate him in the process. He flashes back to the day that he quit his job, as did his work buddy, them hanging out for the day, then the look on his friends face when it was discovered that it was Hurley that was the mega lottery winner.

Jin, Michael and Sawyer are taken by the others to where the rear-end survivors are camped, there was 23 of them, but when they get there they discover that there is alot less than this number, they also are in some sort of underground bunker complex, or maybe the pipeways of the other bunker, we will see on that score.

Charlie finds out the truth by following Locke and getting him to tell him, then he accusses Hurley of being one of them, after Hurley said that he couldn't get a jar of peanut butter for him, even Claire. Because, that what will start all the troubles and cause everyone to hate him.

He leads Rose to the bunker, as she has been doing the washing by hand, perhaps in the vain hope that there will be a super-sized washer and dryer, or maybe as she is one to keep her business private. Hurley later decides that as he can't please everyone and that he doesn't want to be hated, that he would blow up all the food using one stick of dynamite!!! Rose talks him out of it, then Hurley has a talk with Jack and tells him it is the only way, then we see that the only way is to give out all the food in one go, let people eat it all, so there is no way of playing favourites. Of course he gives Charlie a jar of peanut butter.
  • Hey, perhaps it did lack in action, but it was still a great show, as usual

This episode was no where near as good and revealing as the first three but it had a nice back story based on Hugo and a good conclusion...
    But this one was good, I liked it how more of the time was focussed on the tailies and all. What really stood out was when Libby told Michael about there being 23 survivors and now only six remain, something like that. The backstory on Hurley was interesting, he didn't tell anyone about winning the lottery, instead he was discovered to have been the winner, that scene was sad. but overall the whole episode was impressive, nothing really new except for the tailies who have Michael, Jin and Sawyer but nothing else. It was great to see the hatch again too, hopefully we should learn more of it's secrets like what happens if they do not push the button or push the button with the wrong code. All that still remains to be answered but there wasn't really anything bad about this episode. Next one '...And Found' looks quite interesting, can't wait for it.
  • A Hurley-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode an awful lot. As a whole, I thought that this episode was very well written and well acted by everyone involved, and I loved all of the story lines in this episode. The flash backs of Hurley's life before the plane crashed on the island were great. While I loved all of the story lines in this episode, I would definitely have to say that Sawyer's story line was my favorite. I absolutely loved Sawyer in this episode. All of the characters were great in this episode. I also thought that this episode did a really good job of introducing the new characters. All in all, I thought that this was another amazing episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the next episode of the second season of Lost.
  • Charlie: (To Hurley) Are you gonna lie to me? Are you gonna lie to the baby?

Hurley has difficulty with being put in charge of the hatch's supplies. Michael, Sawyer, and Jin learn that their captors are the survivors from the tail-section of Oceanic Flight 815. They take Michael, Sawyer, and Jin to an abandoned DHARMA station, called the Arrow. Hurley remembers when he won the lottery. After the first three episodes of the second season we find ourselves with a much calmer episode but its not bad because everybody loves hugo's episodes.
    I really enjoyed seeing Sawyer get hurt by a girl because it was quiet funny but I also liked seeing more new characters The Tailies Ana Lucia, Libby and Mr Eko.
  • Hugo always makes me laugh.

Not that anything exciting happened but it was a very good episode. I liked it, seems like I like every Lost episode that comes on. Hugo struggles to be responisble when it comes to saying no to Charley about a jar of peanut butter and we see some flashbacks of Hugo's life, him getting fired, him with a friend and him winning the lottery and how all this has to do with these few numbers. The flashbacks were funny at times but really emotional at other moments like he looks into his friend's eyes after his friend finds out he won the lottery. It was nice to see Shannon and Sun again after an abcense of two episodes. This episode was flled with Awwwwww moments which I thank the writer's for like when Bernard finds out that Rose is okay or when Hugo and Charley hug at the end of the episode or when Charlie gives Claire the jar of peanut butter. Also in this episode we find out that the people who captured Sawyer,Gin and Michael are actually other survivors of the plane. My favorite character from this episode is Hugo ! The food mister, my nickname for him :) Nice episode.
  • Silly in a good way.

I liked it because Hurley is my fourth favourite character (after Charlie and Claire being tied for third) and the dream in the hatch was hilarious. So was the "Cluck You" in the flashback. I was laughing the whole time (except when Johnny found out) and I liked the song at the beginning of the episode. I'm not sure if people noticed this but, on the milk carton, there's a missing picture of Walt and Jin has a cut on his cheek from being attacked by the tailies when they found him and tied him up. I HATE Ana Lucia so much!
  • Lost returns to the Traditional format in splendid fashion.

Everybody Hates Hugo is solid episode. After the opening trilogy of episodes, which were filled with mysteries, revelations and theories, along with suspense, special effects and super-charged action sequences, it was time for Lost to settle down for a bit.
    Also, it was necessary to return to the wider scope of the series and to return to the full cast rather than focusing on small groups on their seperate adventures. This episode was the perfect way to re-introduce life on the beach.
    Following on from the mystery-heavy Numbers, many thought that Hurley's second flashback episode would be equally packed with revelations relating to the Numbers and the mystery of the island or indeed the Hatch. In a shorter season the writers may have followed up Orientation with more info of the numbers related to the Swan Station computer and Hurley's connection to them. But of course Lost isn't just about mystery and it certainly isn't just about the Hatch or the DHARMA Initiative, nor the numbers.
    So it would come as a surprise to many that the Numbers are referenced in an explicit manner.
    Its rather how the Lottery win itself, rather than the numbers, that change Hurley's life and his character.
    It shows that Hurley may have a food problem and putting him in charge of the Hatch food inventory could be disastrous. Even Hurley sees his faults, which is interesting as he is about the only character who seems to fully realise their flaws and the only one who tries to sort them out for himself, rather than relying on help from the others. His life may spiral out of control sometimes but it seems he has alot of self-determination and self-control and so can easily overcome obstacles, despite his fear of the Numbers that crop up around him.
    For those with a love for the character-based episodes there is something for everyone in this one. There is an awkward but sexy moment between Jack and Kate in the Hatch shower, which will have "Jate" fans smiling.
    But it is the final moments of the episode which are the highlight. Lost has done many montages and they all work. But only two so far have almost brought me to tears. Exodus Part 1 was the first, which sae the leaving of the raft. And now this one where Hurley dishes out the Hatch food to the survivors. Then we meet Rose's husband Bernard, who happily weeps with the news that Rose is okay.
    As with Numbers the Hurley flashbacks are entertaining, though not as shocking as the former, but tehy are never dull and the momentum is kept.
    For those that don't watch Lost just for the mysteries, this is a wonderful addition to the series and a fine way to return to its "quiet" side.
  • While it progressed the story a bit, for the most, it was a filler, but still remained enjoyable....

7.8
    This episode was really odd. I thought it was heading somewhere, but it wasn't really. Hurley's storyline was absolutely idiotic as far as the conclusion is concerned. He's afraid of responsibilities so he wants to blow up all of the food? Right.

Handing it out was indeed a good idea, but how can blowing it up even CROSS his mind? But apart from that, his scenes were enjoyable. No mysteries here like in "numbers", but his flashbacks were cool. We find out where he worked before he won the lottery, and how he tried not to disclose the truth. It's a bit unclear why, and the character motivations seem to be a bit dodgy, but it was a fun watch. What made it for me is how Rose finally got her prophecy proven. Bernard is alive on the other side of the island, and we also get to meet him. The back and forth scene showing them was really emotional, and VERY WELL done. I give credit to the director for this.

Overall, a slow, sometimes dodgy, but otherwise entertaining... episode. Radical change compared to the previous, really dark and plot driven episode, but you can't win them all.
  • I liked it!

Hurley has flashbacks of him and his friend quitting their jobs and roaming free for a day. His friend finds out that he won the lottery and no longer likes him.

Jack puts Hurley in charge of the food in the hatch. He tells Rose about the hatch and takes her there. Locke tells Charlie about the hatch. Charlie wants Hurley to get him peanut butter, but when Hurley refuses, Charlie gets angry at him. Claire finds the bottle that Jin, Walt Sawyer, and Michael took on the raft. She and Shannon bring it to Sun, who takes Jin for dead. Jin, Sawyer and Michael are let out of the cage by Ana and Mr. Eko. They meet Libby also. They are taken to their place of refuge, where they meet Bearnard, Rose's husband. Hurley decides to blow all the food up as it will cause problems, but then he gives the food to everyone instead.

This episode was pretty good! I missed the climatic ending with the mystery and excitement, but I still liked the ending! It was happy! I don't know why Hurley's friend got mad at him for winning the lottery. This episode gets a 9.0 out of 10!
  • Hurley has to eat

I love Hurley. How can anybody hate him? We all know that Hurley is a big guy, so therefore he can be easily tempted by food. i weight all of 115lb and its a constant struggle for me not to eat everything in sight. At the end Hurley makes the hard decision of sharing the food with the other survivors despite his fears of the outcome. in the jungle we learn that the capturers were not the others but survivors from the tail end of the plane. I think the highlight of this episode was when we find out that Bernard, Rose's husband is still alive and there is still hope that they will reunite again. What a happy ending.
  • Everything is going to change.

• "It's all gonna change. Everything."

7.8
    Hurley's fear of change brings a new aspect to the show, and adds more depth to the character, but the plot of this episode ultimately falls pretty flat, and the viewer is left asking, "What's the point?" This is not the last time a plot will be contrived simply to give a character a chance to develop, although it should be.

As I said, Hurley's issues with the stuff in the pantry are not something that has to be addressed, and it could easily have become a subplot in a later episode. Instead, we watch an uninteresting and irrelevant story, with a Hurley that seems strange to us. Jorge Garcia, I have to say, does nothing wrong, and the writing is to blame for the story problem. It just seems strange that everybody hates Hugo because he won't give them all the food they ask for, at least according to Hurley. A quick explanation would certainly take care of any problems that came up. The idea that everyone will resent him helps tie into the flashbacks, but the fact that that's all the justification for the story is pretty ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as Hurley's sudden okayness with handling dynamite, seeing as how he held it at arm's length or further in last season's finale, but still ridiculous.

The thing that really annoys me about the episode, though, is that the flashbacks are there to justify the main story! Both things are working to help prop up the other, but they still hit the floor. There's really no lasting importance to the flashbacks, and the fact that Johnny immediately turns on Hurley upon finding out that he won the lottery shows that he wasn't that dedicated of a friend anyway. Hurley being smart enough to take care of a bunch of things before cashing in on his win is a little hard to believe too, as Hurley has never been that clever in previous episodes. There are a couple laughs in the flashbacks, but that's really all the positive that can be taken from them.

The only enjoyable thing that comes from that storyline is the montage at the end of the episode. It's obviously not important in terms of the overall narrative, but it's still enjoyable to see the camp together and happy. Jack and Kate laughing and chatting, Locke handing out cookies, and Claire and Charlie eating the peanut butter, while not everyone's cup of tea, does make me smile.

There are a number of subplots in this episode, and that's what picks it up. The most notable is the raft guys in the pit. They're let out, and learn that their captors are all survivors from the tail section. Once again, the plot really just serves to set up the tailies a little bit more, and doesn't feature a lot more than empty banter between Sawyer and Ana-Lucia until the end. We meet Libby, and see a little bit more of "Shaft's" personality. The group lives in a Dharma bunker, and there are only five of them, which was originally twenty-three. The best scene of this storyline is when Bernard asks about Rose. It's very subtly played, and you can tell that Bernard has been working up his nerve to ask this question since the guys arrived in the bunker hours earlier. Sam Anderson is a great actor, and the scene is very touching. It's also nice that Rose is back in the episode, not only because L. Scott Caldwell is so great as the character, but because it helps complete the Bernard introduction. Her saving the candy for him is a nice touch.

Claire, meanwhile, discovers the bottle with messages that went out on the raft. This really just serves to set up a storyline in the next episode, and, I suspect, involve the other three female characters in the story, since they have been absent for the first three episodes this year. There's also a fairly moving scene when Sun buries the bottle, and it symbolizes her burying her husband. Claire is also referenced quite a bit by Charlie, who is seeking peanut butter from the hatch. Charlie is pretty venomous throughout this whole episode, and it's not very endearing. Being angry about not getting peanut butter is one thing, but spitting poison at Hurley about it, and his pure rage when Hurley's lottery winnings are mentioned is quite another. Charlie's anger at the world in the last few episodes comes out of left field, and one can only think he'll get worse once his stash is discovered.

Jack and Sayid investigate the hatch, and the cement wall that Jack found. Sayid comments that the concrete is poured like it was at Chernobyl, which raises interesting questions about just how powerful the magnet behind the wall is. Desmond didn't say anything about it before he took off, and now the group is left to man the button and guess at the secrets the hatch contains. Locke is the one who has to convince people to push the button. The wavering faith he demonstrated in the previous episode is gone, and he now believes in the button full-time, thinking it is his purpose for being on the island, and that maybe it's not as bad as it seems. However, the fact that his faith did waver is important, and will continue.

The last little thing that could be commented on is the scene in the shower between Jack and Kate. The scene emits a lot of sparks, and is ammunition for the Jack/Kate shippers. The love triangle between Jack, Kate, and Sawyer has become a line right now though, as Sawyer is now on the other side of the island. Lost isn't a soap opera, though, so don't expect a lot more than what we already have.

Overall, this episode isn't miserable, but it's not good either. The main plot is basically filler, and the subplots are really what save the episode. That, and Michael Giacchino's score, which uses a lot of old themes from Season 1, as well as the new theme that plays during the beach party. The next episode will be better than this one, but still not spectacular.
  • Not bad.........

I liked this episode. All Hurley episodes are great. The only problem was, there wasn't enough action in this one.
    The episode starts, we see Hyrley in the pantry surrounded by food.Unfortunitely for him, it's only a dream and he wakes up.
    He gets a job to do in the hatch. He is in charge of the food.He thinks that eveerything will change because of this and he will be hated.
    So, he keeps the food in the hatch a secret.On the other side of the island, Mike, Sawyer and Jin are lifted out of the hole and told that Anna and the rest are not the others.
    They are survivors from the plane also,the tail section. We find out there was 23 of them, but most got captured and they are down to 5.
    The good news is that one of the survivors is Rose's husband Bernard.The talies bring them into a bunker and they discuss what to do next.
    On the beach, Charlie pressures Locke for answers about the hatch. Claire finds the bottle with the messages from the raft.
    It has washed up on shore. It leads her to beleive the worst. She tells Sun and they decide not to tell anyone and bury it.
    Meanwhile, in the hatch, Sayid discovers that the magnetic wall was covered up.
    Also, the pressure gets to Hurley and his job is too much to handle. He is thinking about blowing up the food, but is stopped by Rose.
    Hurley comes up with an alternate idea, he decides to give out loads of the food right now to everyone.
    It keeps everyone happy and Hurley feels much better.The flashbacks are good too. We see Hurley keep his secret (Winning the lotto) from his best freind.
    He fears that everything will change if he knew.He quits his job and go's out to do what he has always wanted to do.
    In the end, his freind finds out Hurley had lied and is really sad.
    He asks his best friend to promise that no matter what happens, their relationship will never change.
  • Review

I liked this episode as well. Hurley is usually the comical character of the bunch, but he played the more confused and frustarted Hurley. The island now seems to be split up in two parts, with Micheal, Jin, and Sawyer trying to figure out life over on the tail section of the plane. 23 of them survivied, yet I counted only 5-6 left on there side which means they have gone though a much different 40 or do days. Things at the hatch kind of cooled down since last episode, with everyone adjusting to the new routine and Jack and Sayid trying to figure out the properties within the hatch. Solid episode overlal, flashback was a little weaker then the others but still good.
  • great episode

A Hurley flashback episode, we see more stuff about him and what he was doing before he went to Australia. It turns out that there was some kind of curse that might have lead him to this island. He won a sweepstakes draw that got him millions of dollars. But it also destroyed his relationship with his closest friends. Meanwhile, at the other side of the island, Sawyer, Michael and Jin get to know who their captors are. It's an exciting episode, the Hurley flashbacks are well made, they work out well with the myth of the Lost series. I really enjoyed this episode.
  • Not too impressive.

Season 2 had a rough start:
    The premiere was great, but the first couple of episodes simply weren't on par with the last few episodes of season 1.

Everybody Hates Hugo is the 2nd filler episode up to this point: out of the 4 episodes, 2 fillers, especially at the beginning of the season is a bad ratio. Very bad.

This particular episode is Hurley centric in which we learn how the lottery affected his relationship with his best friend.

Kinda good flashback story, but nothing about the numbers, or anything revealant to the island.

On the island, he's the one who has to take care of the food in the hatch, however, he can't handle the responsibility, so he decides to blow the food up with the dynamite.

Of course, that doesn't happen, so he just simply hands out all the food. The episode had some Sawyer/Jin/Michael moments: they were clearly the bright spots of the episode.

The ending montage was great, with Bernard finding out Rose is still alive.

Overally very calm episode with minimal plot progression.
  • this episode is about Hurly.

Hurley struggles with a task inside the hatch as he flashbacks to bad memories in his life before the crash. Meanwhile, Sawyer, Michael and Jin learn the identities of their captors on the island. The captors are the survivor of flight 815 but from the back of the plain. Claire uncovers a startling piece of information about the fate of the raft because she found the message in the bottle. This is one of my favorite episode because we see some Hurly flashbacks'. Hurly also tries to not do his task to protect the food room which is in the hatch. We also see the other survivors of flight 815 but from the back of the plane.
  • Still a good episode but not all too much happened.

I have found this season to be rather slow so far but still good. I still don't think that it is even as nearly as good as last season but still good. I don't know why alot of people don't like Hurley's story and flashbacks because it is one of my favourites. He is also actually one of the most important characters due to his connection with the numbers. There was alot of character development in this episode but not all too much in the way of the story with the others or other mysteries. Also, the monster has not appeared yet.
  • not my favourite

This is not one of my favourite episodes of LOST because nothingreally happens in it and Hurleys crazy behaviour is very erratic because he suddenly decides to do Crazy things for no reason, The Flashback was a Hurley one and wasnt too good and was pretty boring. Overall this was a pretty boring episode where nothing really happened at all and the flashback was pretty poor aswell, and Hurleys behaviour on the island really annoyed me, the ending of the episode was good though with Hurley giving out the food and making everyone happy at the Losties camp and then a much gloomier and somber atmosphere at the tailes Bunker, we also find out that Rose's husband Bernard is white and is still alive.
  • Everybody loves Hurley

This episode is a great episode, I love all the episodes that have to do with Hurley, because it's like a carefree mellow guy who is unknown to the other survivers and has a whole bunch of problems and issues, but does not show it towards the other castaways.

I also like this episode because its kind of like a classic season one episode with problems towards different things that are not or barely related, but through out most of season 2 its mostly focused on one problem, which I don't mind, but i had prefered season 1.

Although there wasn't a whole lot of action or adventure in this episode it is still a classic, especially with Bernard and his recent information that Rose is alive.

Sawyer: You hit me again... I'll kill you.

LOST
  • hurley struggles with the task jack gives him because he thinks it will make people hate him.

great episode....again. the best parts of this episode where: hurley quits his job when randy is giving him a hard time, the part where rose sees the hatch and the part where hurley is giving out all the food. another connection between locke and hurley is seen in this episode becuase randy was also lockes back at the box company. lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great!
  • After a very intense episode, I excepted some great mysteries, adventure, twists, whatever. Then I found out it's a Hurley episode. I was happy; Numbers. No, not numbers. Unfortunately.

6.9
    If I had to summarize this episode I'd say:

In flashback we learn what happens with Hurley right after he wins the lottery. He leaves his job with his friend, but Hurley doesn't tell him the truth. His friend finds out from somewhere else, in result, they break up. Woosh.

On the island, Hurley's mission is to take care of food. But since everyone keeps asking him for food which he can't give out, he decides to blow it all up. Problem solved...But no. He won't blow it up. Rose stops him. So he gives away all of the food(not really) to the survivors.

PLEASE, WRITERS. What this episode has to do with the MAIN plot, the season's THEME that was introduced last episode?!!?!? Disappointing, this is the SECOND filler out of 4 episodes so far!
  • But how could anyone hate Hurley?!

As Rose says, Hurley is probably the only lostie that everyone seems to like. He just has this cool, smooth "Yeah, it's all good" attitude that seems to make everyone comforatble around him. I thought this episode was interesting and pretty good. And that dream in which Walt is on the milk carton - a tribute ot the book "The Face on the Milk Carton"? - was....strange. But interesting allt he same. This is the second Hurley-centric episode, and, like in "Numbers," we see Hurley put under some pressure. He seems he does not want to repeat past bad experiences of being hated by those who were once friends because of something he has ot do for everyone's benefit. And I can't say that I blame him - after all, who wants to be hated? Well, Sawyer maybe, but otherwise.... I don't think that it was right for the losties to just suddenly jump to hating him either - I think they should have been more understanding, though I do see where their reactions were coming from.

I thought that the connection between Hurley and Charlie (though not much of a connection,) was interesting. Suckshaft? Not the most creative nickname, though a small part of me (guiltily because I like Charlie,) agrees with him about Driveshaft. Oooh and Hurley actually had a love interest! Good for him! I think that his friend (crap, I can't remember his name!) was probably mad at him after finding out about his winning lottery ticket..hopefully we'll find out more about that in future Hurley-centrics!
  • a nice limelight on one of my favourite characters.

i really loved this episode. hurley is one of my favourite characters and it was nice to find more about his past. it shows how very good-natured and thoughtful he is and why, despite the title's suggestion, everybody just loves him and why he has earned a lot of respect among his fellow survivors. i'm happy that the writes don't make hurley a laughingstock (even though he's adding quite some comical moments to the show now and then, especially when he is interacting with charlie, the two of them sometimes remind me of laurel and hardy) but such a lovable character.
< 1 2 3 4