Lost

Everybody Hates Hugo

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 12, 2005 on ABC

• and again nothing happened

0.9
    another show where nothing happens, wow! that's great! you could edit these 1 hour episodes into about 5 minutes that ins't an insult to your intelligence. it took them what 5 episodes to open the hatch, then wait for months to see what's in the hatch...an old computer, they have no story ideas left people, give it up. go home. turn off the lights.
  • A Hurley centric episode, that made no sense whatsoever.

This episode made no sense whatsoever!

I'm sitting at home staring at the tv screen wondering what is going on?

But here's what I gather:

Hurley's best friend, I assumed, gets mad at him at the end of the epiosde after it is revealed that he won a 160 million dollars and he neglected to tell him, which caused the break up of their friendship. Now because of what happen in the past Hurley hates keeping secrets, and tries to show us how tormented he is from keeping one.

Man this show is getting from bad to worse.

Now, a 160 million dollars jackpot means that everyone who plays the lotto will be playing it very hard, and the store that Hurley bought his ticket will be floored with customers.......so how on EARTH, was the Storekeeper able to ID Hurley.

Like I said before the show is getting from bad to worse.
  • This episode was very blantanly,comfusingly. told with little reality to the plot.

2.7
    For The Love Of God, please enlighten me to why Huego Is Acting Like a 5yr old baby with his Thumb Up His Ass.everyone wasn't even freaking out like mad, they just found a civilised home/bunker underground and it had a closet of food of that day and frekin music a shower and computer, jesus. why are they just acting like everything is normal, we already know the island is hell or heaven and thes no big deal if your get a cup of mornin cave tea and see the messiah readin a frekin news paper and saying hello they'll just be like they always are and say oh hello how are you today messiah, Good day huh. I guess this odd, shall I investigate?No i'm just gonna go back to camp and not tell anyone.STFU.
    this episode sucked. Why Dose HUEGY FATAZZ Act Like a 6 YR OLD BABY?? waaaaa i'm gonna blow it up bcuz noooo oooone liiiikkes meeeee waaaa. STFU U FATTY, dude get over it. it's stupid this has no real big plot to anything. stop with it.
  • How do we get out of a boring and pointless plot???... Oh yeah, a cheesy ending...

Where is the mystery?
    Last series was all about exciting adventures and discoveries on the island and in the characters past now it\'s spent mostly with the characters sitting still (on the island, raft and in their past) while making 2 cent conversation.
    Why doesn\'t anything make sense?
    Why would the guy in the bunker tie up at gun point the first person he can use for shift?
    How long Sawyer stay with his shoulder like that without an infection?
    And they had to put the touchy music on at the end and have Hurly hand food to everyone in the worst cheesiest way.
    Why? Why? Why?
    I used to like this series, but now I'm only watching out of hope for a descent comeback.
  • Weakest episode in my opinion.

Resented the fact that Hurley and the writers took the easy way out. Instead of taking some responsibility and rationing the food Hurley wants to be Santa Claus so no one hates him when he denies them peanut butter or whatever. Lame. So I guess the moral is don't make hard decisions and everyone will love you. And if the fish run out and there's no more berries in the woods, well who cares we'll starve but man, what a great night we had when Hurley gave all the food away so he could feel good about himself. A few more episodes like that and I'll hurl.
  • Yet another repeat?! Are we going to see the same flashbacks the entire season?

Oh good, we see (yet again) that Hurley won the lottery... oh, wait - we saw that in season 1! I am getting majorly tired of the same scenes rehashed in a different way every week! Have they already run out of new storylines that we have to take up half the episode with these damn flashbacks?

Major plot point issues: Hurley states the food in the room is enough for 'one person for three months'. Excuse me, but Desmond has been there for probably years and I don't see a single gap on a shelf, let alone empty ones! Not to mention, some of the items, like shampoo, gets used quickly. Then there's the obvious: malnutrition. Let's assume there's powdered milk, fine, but no meat or fresh fruit (as Desmond admitted not leaving the bunker)?! Hello scurvy! And the peanut butter?! And chocolate?! Give me a break! Do you have any idea of the shelf-life of canned goods?! There's a reason they're called perishables!

While on the topic: what are our survivors eating? The boars moved inland mid-season 1, the fruit trees were picked bare, Sun's garden won't produce food for years (let alone more than for a handful of people) - are they living on fish? Because last time I checked, only about three people even know how! And one of them was on the raft!

Plus, their wonderfully clean and intact clothing - though granted we actually saw Rose doing washing.

The writers have completely lost grip on reality, they're treating this like a soap opera, not even trying to keep it within the realm of possibility. We already have the incredible happening, some reality thrown in would help ground the story.

Whereas before, my friends and I discussed the mysteries of the island endlessly, now we discuss the flaws in the storylines instead. Shouldn't that tell the writers something?
  • Degroots. Who are they

Did anyone else notice that the male Degroot who helped start Dharma at the University of Michigan is the same guy only with a beard on the boat who abducts Walt. Take a looke at the pictures it is the same.

Overall I thought this episode was above average. i always like to get to know more on the background of the characters.

Supposedly a girl character is to be killed off soon.
  • We need some answers to questions, and have the plot progress a little more before we can appreciate a truly character-driven episode.

6.8
    Typically the most satisfying Lost episodes are not the ones where tremendous secrets of the Island are revealed, but instead are episodes where, through flashbacks, we gain a deeper understanding of the characters. Episodes like Solitary, and Outlaws come to mind as outstanding examples.

This episode should have been one to add to that list. Instead of furthering the plot, it gave new information as to where Hurley was coming from. However, this season, the show has not yet earned the right to give an episode of this nature.

The first three episodes raised many questions about the island. In addition, they moved the plot forward very slowly, with certain scenes (Desmond holding the gun to Locke’s head), appearing in every episode. With so many questions raised, and such little development in the early episodes, the show needs to give some answers. While the discovery at the end of Rose’s husband give some sense of forward motion, the plot has felt stagnant for the past four episodes. Give some answers to questions, then we can have another great character-focused episode.
  • After a very intense episode, I excepted some great mysteries, adventure, twists, whatever. Then I found out it's a Hurley episode. I was happy; Numbers. No, not numbers. Unfortunately.

6.9
    If I had to summarize this episode I'd say:

In flashback we learn what happens with Hurley right after he wins the lottery. He leaves his job with his friend, but Hurley doesn't tell him the truth. His friend finds out from somewhere else, in result, they break up. Woosh.

On the island, Hurley's mission is to take care of food. But since everyone keeps asking him for food which he can't give out, he decides to blow it all up. Problem solved...But no. He won't blow it up. Rose stops him. So he gives away all of the food(not really) to the survivors.

PLEASE, WRITERS. What this episode has to do with the MAIN plot, the season's THEME that was introduced last episode?!!?!? Disappointing, this is the SECOND filler out of 4 episodes so far!
  • ...I loved the development on Hurley's character and the furthering of the story about his life after his lottery win, but all of these factors were cast under the shadow of one very large problem that this epidode had and now this show has...Michelle Rod

6.9
    OK, it wasn't as terrible as I probably would make it out to seem, but nothing happened at all. I did like however the development on Hurley's character and the furthering of the story about his life after his lottery win, but all of these factors were cast under the shadow of one very large problem that this epidode had and now this show has...Michelle Rodriguez.

This show has, great writing, great hooks in the story, great cinematography, and most of all, not one weak actor...all great acting. Michelle Rodriguez has ruined this...if you don't know who I'm talking about, the new tough girl survivor...you can catch some of her quality acting in The Fast and the Furious and S.W.A.T. Quite possibly two of the dumbest movies of all time, although fun to watch, but only because of cool effects and definately not even average acting in either.

Does nobody else hate how hard she tries to be tough? If I were Sawyer, I would knock her flat on her ass.

Anyways, I hope that the next episode steps it back up and brings some new hooks and big revelations into the mix since this one lacked them so much...and I hope Michelle Rodriguez's character gets sick and dies off too...but maybe that one's and long shot...
  • Transition!!!!

Now that we know about what is inside the hatch, is time to focus more on the characters, and leave the secrets of the hatch to more later.

The tailplane crew are now frieds with sawyer and CIA. Another Type of Dharma instalation is revealed.

The central character is Hugo and his emotional State. So his flashbacks are only there to make sense to his feelings and to create the base needed to understand him. Is like when you whant to know why someone behaves the way he do and you ask that person to be able to understand him, that is exactly the flashbacks functions in this season 2.

The Main Hatch was explored, but we don´t have any news.

Overall, a episode without high moments.
  • Not too impressive.

Season 2 had a rough start:
    The premiere was great, but the first couple of episodes simply weren't on par with the last few episodes of season 1.

Everybody Hates Hugo is the 2nd filler episode up to this point: out of the 4 episodes, 2 fillers, especially at the beginning of the season is a bad ratio. Very bad.

This particular episode is Hurley centric in which we learn how the lottery affected his relationship with his best friend.

Kinda good flashback story, but nothing about the numbers, or anything revealant to the island.

On the island, he's the one who has to take care of the food in the hatch, however, he can't handle the responsibility, so he decides to blow the food up with the dynamite.

Of course, that doesn't happen, so he just simply hands out all the food. The episode had some Sawyer/Jin/Michael moments: they were clearly the bright spots of the episode.

The ending montage was great, with Bernard finding out Rose is still alive.

Overally very calm episode with minimal plot progression.
  • Overall, this episode returns to the wide scope that dominated the first season, covering many plot threads and most of the characters, all while exploring Hurley’s fragile emotional state.

With the season premiere now effectively over, the writers return to the format typically used for the majority of the first season: one character profile supported by several subplots impacting the majority of the cast. In fact, with the arrival of characters from the tail section of the plane, there are more characters than ever to explore. The writers may not slip into that mode as smoothly as one would hope, but a lot of the changes are going to take time to work through.

This is another big moment for Hurley, and it’s interesting to see a different perspective on the darkly comic back story that was revealed in “Numbers”. One could assume that part of Hurley’s “curse” was the isolating effect of being a sudden millionaire, but since the events of “Numbers” were so expansive, the personal element wasn’t fully explored. Johnny, Hurley’s friend, was a good vehicle for covering Hurley’s emotional state.

Basically, Hurley hates the way that things change when everyone discovers that you have the one thing that everybody wishes they had. It’s not subtle, but it doesn’t need to be. Hurley’s never been the most complicated character, and it’s his simplicity that makes him so easy to identify with. He is the “Everyman” on the island, helping the writers expound on the philosophies of the more prominent characters through his fairly “normal” point of view.

In this episode, he seems to highlight the negative side of Jack. Jack makes the decision to hide the contents of the hatch from as many people as possible, especially the foodstuffs and other consumables. He puts Hurley in charge of that job, which places Hurley in a very difficult position. Nearly everyone has felt that way before, and it’s never easy. Hurley doesn’t lie very well, and he hates being the bad guy. Jack puts him in that position.

Locke, however, is no better, even coming from a very different point of view than Jack. Locke is less concerned about keeping the hatch and its contents secret than making sure that the button is pushed on time and giving everyone responsibility to see it done. Everyone has a role, and Locke doesn’t want to make it voluntary. This is the side of Locke that fits well with Jack, at least when their dictatorial leanings are aligned to the same purpose.

When the producers mentioned that the mystery of the hatch would be an ongoing plot thread for the season, they weren’t kidding. For something that wasn’t at all apparent for roughly 40 days, the various structures built by the Dharma Initiative seem to be popping out of the woodwork. Not only is there Station 3 on this side of the island, but on the other side, the AnaLucia Tribe is holed up in some kind of Dharma structure. Is the transmitter building, still unseen, also part of the Dharma installation?

Speaking of the Dharma Institute, some interesting comments were made after the previous episode. Apparently, if one looks closely at the man who took away Walt in “Exodus: Part II”, he looks an awful lot like one of the people who started the Dharma Initiative. If the Others are people who used to be Dharma employees/followers, it lends credence to the theory that they were part of the experiment, whether as a “control group” or manipulators of the situation.

The hatch seems to be powered by geothermal energy, according to Sayid, and whatever is causing the magnetic anomalies on the island seems to be well-hidden. One wonders if getting to that secret will be the next stage of exploration. It’s also interesting to note that the food situation seemed designed to last Desmond for only a little while longer. What would have happened if Desmond ran out of food? Is someone from Dharma expected to arrive soon, or did something go wrong?

What if the experiment conducted by Dharma went wrong? What if what was the original intention of the island, perhaps some extreme behavioral study, turned into something very different, something less controlled? The Others could, in fact, be infected by something, just as Danielle seemed to indicate. This could be why the producers keep insisting that the island is not an experiment; perhaps it was in the past, and now things are far less controlled.

There’s also the open question of when the series is actually taking place. The producers tossed out that question in the press recently, which is an interesting point. While the history of Dharma seems clear enough (the film in “Orientation” was made in 1980), it’s not at all clear when the series itself must take place. Sure, some of the flashbacks suggest a very recent timeframe, but not necessarily. That would add another layer of confusion to the whole “16 years of transmission” question, leaving a lot of wiggle room for the writers.

There were a lot more character moments this time around. In particular, the attraction between Jack and Kate has restored itself after their artificial conflict in the season premiere (her motivations still don’t make sense), right down to that wonderful shower scene. Kate is exactly the type to talk her way around Jack’s restrictions!

Sayid and Jack had their little adventure under the hatch, but beyond that, it’s not clear where their dynamic is going. Sayid still has plenty of issues with Locke, so one would naturally assume that Sayid would side with Jack. But Sayid hasn’t always been content to follow Jack’s lead, and he could react badly when they finally have direct contact with the AnaLucia Tribe.

Charlie is not the best person in the world in this episode; in fact, he reacts a bit too selfishly under the circumstances. Then again, Charlie is trying very hard to be happy with his emerging relationship with Charlie and Aaron, and he needs that to resist the urge to relapse. So perhaps that plays into his attitude in this episode.

Claire finally gets her peanut butter (and the audience gets to revel in her reaction), and she also got to discover the bottle full of messages. Emilie is finally freed of that fake belly, and she looks so much better for it. Shannon also came back into the picture, but she’s obviously still grieving and this episode is only a minor salve for her wounds. Sun makes an interesting choice about the bottle, however, which is not unlike the decision by Jack and the rest to hide the hatch; sometimes it’s better not to know.

On the other side of the island, Sawyer still seems to be fighting the urge to drop dead from a blood infection. He’s definitely seen better days, but how much can this guy take? He’s been beaten, stabbed, tortured, and shot. Hopefully there’s a doctor on the AnaLucia Tribe. Michael and Jin don’t contribute much, beyond the very end, when they meet Rose’s husband. One thing is abundantly clear: the AnaLucia Tribe has been decimated over the past 40+ days, and it ought to be interesting to know what happened and how they react to the JackLocke Tribe, who has been far more fortunate. It’s also hard to tell whether Rose will become another prominent character.

Overall, the main plot thread advanced a little bit, and the writers seemed to struggle with the idea of returning to the wider scope with so many new characters and situations. Hurley was a good place to start, since his confusion and conflict is on par with the audience. One can only hope that the transition will be swift and the story will continue moving forward at a reasonable pace.
  • The new phrase for "jump the shark"

May well be "down the hatch". Last week the hatch scenes left me flat, the "pit" scenes were a bit more compelling, the backstory held my interest. This week, it all left me flat, and I'm wondering if there has been a shift in the writing staff - the scripts just don't seem as compelling as last year's. The show was about vulnerability, revelation and survival, and the hatch just seems too safe an environment to support the necessary emotional tension.
    There was a hint of a renewed Jack/Kate interest, perhaps to generate something between Sawyer and (Ana?), but I'm going to have a tough time with that pairing - butting heads doesn't always generate sparks.
    Again - what I'm missing is irony. Hugo's backstory from last year, the irony of someone who wins everything at once and loses (luck) incrementally was well done. In this episode, I was never sufficiently impressed with Hugo's emotional conflict, though the shot of him at the end, when the paparazzi rush him, was quite poignant. So was the introduction of Bernard - but that's all part of the problem - they're relying too much on single moments rather than episodes.
  • So the other survivors found the other bunker but how did the rest of their group die??? Can't wait to find out. And from the looks of things, their bunker is low on power?

So the other survivors found the other bunker but how did the rest of their group die??? Can't wait to find out. And from the looks of things, their bunker is low on power? Also, did hurley distribute all the food in one night? The food of course will raise up questions. We'll see if they all decide to move into the bunker.
  • Not bad.........

I liked this episode. All Hurley episodes are great. The only problem was, there wasn't enough action in this one.
    The episode starts, we see Hyrley in the pantry surrounded by food.Unfortunitely for him, it's only a dream and he wakes up.
    He gets a job to do in the hatch. He is in charge of the food.He thinks that eveerything will change because of this and he will be hated.
    So, he keeps the food in the hatch a secret.On the other side of the island, Mike, Sawyer and Jin are lifted out of the hole and told that Anna and the rest are not the others.
    They are survivors from the plane also,the tail section. We find out there was 23 of them, but most got captured and they are down to 5.
    The good news is that one of the survivors is Rose's husband Bernard.The talies bring them into a bunker and they discuss what to do next.
    On the beach, Charlie pressures Locke for answers about the hatch. Claire finds the bottle with the messages from the raft.
    It has washed up on shore. It leads her to beleive the worst. She tells Sun and they decide not to tell anyone and bury it.
    Meanwhile, in the hatch, Sayid discovers that the magnetic wall was covered up.
    Also, the pressure gets to Hurley and his job is too much to handle. He is thinking about blowing up the food, but is stopped by Rose.
    Hurley comes up with an alternate idea, he decides to give out loads of the food right now to everyone.
    It keeps everyone happy and Hurley feels much better.The flashbacks are good too. We see Hurley keep his secret (Winning the lotto) from his best freind.
    He fears that everything will change if he knew.He quits his job and go's out to do what he has always wanted to do.
    In the end, his freind finds out Hurley had lied and is really sad.
    He asks his best friend to promise that no matter what happens, their relationship will never change.
  • not my favourite

This is not one of my favourite episodes of LOST because nothingreally happens in it and Hurleys crazy behaviour is very erratic because he suddenly decides to do Crazy things for no reason, The Flashback was a Hurley one and wasnt too good and was pretty boring. Overall this was a pretty boring episode where nothing really happened at all and the flashback was pretty poor aswell, and Hurleys behaviour on the island really annoyed me, the ending of the episode was good though with Hurley giving out the food and making everyone happy at the Losties camp and then a much gloomier and somber atmosphere at the tailes Bunker, we also find out that Rose's husband Bernard is white and is still alive.
  • While it progressed the story a bit, for the most, it was a filler, but still remained enjoyable....

7.8
    This episode was really odd. I thought it was heading somewhere, but it wasn't really. Hurley's storyline was absolutely idiotic as far as the conclusion is concerned. He's afraid of responsibilities so he wants to blow up all of the food? Right.

Handing it out was indeed a good idea, but how can blowing it up even CROSS his mind? But apart from that, his scenes were enjoyable. No mysteries here like in "numbers", but his flashbacks were cool. We find out where he worked before he won the lottery, and how he tried not to disclose the truth. It's a bit unclear why, and the character motivations seem to be a bit dodgy, but it was a fun watch. What made it for me is how Rose finally got her prophecy proven. Bernard is alive on the other side of the island, and we also get to meet him. The back and forth scene showing them was really emotional, and VERY WELL done. I give credit to the director for this.

Overall, a slow, sometimes dodgy, but otherwise entertaining... episode. Radical change compared to the previous, really dark and plot driven episode, but you can't win them all.
  • "It's all gonna change. Everything."

7.8
    Hurley's fear of change brings a new aspect to the show, and adds more depth to the character, but the plot of this episode ultimately falls pretty flat, and the viewer is left asking, "What's the point?" This is not the last time a plot will be contrived simply to give a character a chance to develop, although it should be.

As I said, Hurley's issues with the stuff in the pantry are not something that has to be addressed, and it could easily have become a subplot in a later episode. Instead, we watch an uninteresting and irrelevant story, with a Hurley that seems strange to us. Jorge Garcia, I have to say, does nothing wrong, and the writing is to blame for the story problem. It just seems strange that everybody hates Hugo because he won't give them all the food they ask for, at least according to Hurley. A quick explanation would certainly take care of any problems that came up. The idea that everyone will resent him helps tie into the flashbacks, but the fact that that's all the justification for the story is pretty ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as Hurley's sudden okayness with handling dynamite, seeing as how he held it at arm's length or further in last season's finale, but still ridiculous.

The thing that really annoys me about the episode, though, is that the flashbacks are there to justify the main story! Both things are working to help prop up the other, but they still hit the floor. There's really no lasting importance to the flashbacks, and the fact that Johnny immediately turns on Hurley upon finding out that he won the lottery shows that he wasn't that dedicated of a friend anyway. Hurley being smart enough to take care of a bunch of things before cashing in on his win is a little hard to believe too, as Hurley has never been that clever in previous episodes. There are a couple laughs in the flashbacks, but that's really all the positive that can be taken from them.

The only enjoyable thing that comes from that storyline is the montage at the end of the episode. It's obviously not important in terms of the overall narrative, but it's still enjoyable to see the camp together and happy. Jack and Kate laughing and chatting, Locke handing out cookies, and Claire and Charlie eating the peanut butter, while not everyone's cup of tea, does make me smile.

There are a number of subplots in this episode, and that's what picks it up. The most notable is the raft guys in the pit. They're let out, and learn that their captors are all survivors from the tail section. Once again, the plot really just serves to set up the tailies a little bit more, and doesn't feature a lot more than empty banter between Sawyer and Ana-Lucia until the end. We meet Libby, and see a little bit more of "Shaft's" personality. The group lives in a Dharma bunker, and there are only five of them, which was originally twenty-three. The best scene of this storyline is when Bernard asks about Rose. It's very subtly played, and you can tell that Bernard has been working up his nerve to ask this question since the guys arrived in the bunker hours earlier. Sam Anderson is a great actor, and the scene is very touching. It's also nice that Rose is back in the episode, not only because L. Scott Caldwell is so great as the character, but because it helps complete the Bernard introduction. Her saving the candy for him is a nice touch.

Claire, meanwhile, discovers the bottle with messages that went out on the raft. This really just serves to set up a storyline in the next episode, and, I suspect, involve the other three female characters in the story, since they have been absent for the first three episodes this year. There's also a fairly moving scene when Sun buries the bottle, and it symbolizes her burying her husband. Claire is also referenced quite a bit by Charlie, who is seeking peanut butter from the hatch. Charlie is pretty venomous throughout this whole episode, and it's not very endearing. Being angry about not getting peanut butter is one thing, but spitting poison at Hurley about it, and his pure rage when Hurley's lottery winnings are mentioned is quite another. Charlie's anger at the world in the last few episodes comes out of left field, and one can only think he'll get worse once his stash is discovered.

Jack and Sayid investigate the hatch, and the cement wall that Jack found. Sayid comments that the concrete is poured like it was at Chernobyl, which raises interesting questions about just how powerful the magnet behind the wall is. Desmond didn't say anything about it before he took off, and now the group is left to man the button and guess at the secrets the hatch contains. Locke is the one who has to convince people to push the button. The wavering faith he demonstrated in the previous episode is gone, and he now believes in the button full-time, thinking it is his purpose for being on the island, and that maybe it's not as bad as it seems. However, the fact that his faith did waver is important, and will continue.

The last little thing that could be commented on is the scene in the shower between Jack and Kate. The scene emits a lot of sparks, and is ammunition for the Jack/Kate shippers. The love triangle between Jack, Kate, and Sawyer has become a line right now though, as Sawyer is now on the other side of the island. Lost isn't a soap opera, though, so don't expect a lot more than what we already have.

Overall, this episode isn't miserable, but it's not good either. The main plot is basically filler, and the subplots are really what save the episode. That, and Michael Giacchino's score, which uses a lot of old themes from Season 1, as well as the new theme that plays during the beach party. The next episode will be better than this one, but still not spectacular.
  • Still a good episode but not all too much happened.

I have found this season to be rather slow so far but still good. I still don't think that it is even as nearly as good as last season but still good. I don't know why alot of people don't like Hurley's story and flashbacks because it is one of my favourites. He is also actually one of the most important characters due to his connection with the numbers. There was alot of character development in this episode but not all too much in the way of the story with the others or other mysteries. Also, the monster has not appeared yet.
  • Toned back on the revelation of the first three episodes, this episode provides an interesting look at Hurley.

Now that the prologue of this season has been established, we’re back in the groove season one established of story progression with flashbacks to help develop characters. This will help the viewer return to the status quo (if there is one) of this show while the first act of the season plays out. It helps even more when the character in focus is Hurley, who is a favorite among fans.

Although this episode scaled back on the revelations prevalent through the first three episodes of the season, it was still a good character study of Hurley (who I hope will get another episode this season). “Numbers” provided a darkly comic look at his life following his lottery win and the bad luck that pursued, but in this episode, we explore a more serious aspect of what he lost. This coincides with Jack assigning him to take inventory of the food and ration it so it will last. Again, he is in control of something everyone around him wants. Now he is worried that he’ll be outcast again when people learn what he is doing.

We haven’t seen much of this Hurley on the show, someone whose anxiety almost drives him to blow up the bunker. Before this, he has been the favorite character among many fans of the show because of his jovial attitude towards life. In this episode we see his uncertainty and reluctance to change, stemming from the day he won the lottery and lost his best friend.

One thing I've liked about the characterization of Hurley is that his weight isn’t an overwhelming feature of his character. Also, they wisely decided not to ignore it entirely, as it would be unrealistic that no one would acknowledge it. Too often, we see “the fat guy/girl” in movies and TV as fat foremost. In this episode’s opening dream sequence, they seem to overcompensate for their lack of overt fat characterization by having Hurley dreaming of ravenously eating everything in the bunker. However, considering they haven’t had mainland food in a month and a half and even slender Kate devoured a chocolate bar, I may be overreacting.

The imagery in the dream was interesting enough. Jin’s appearance (and Walt’s picture on the carton of milk Hurley drank) could be the island trying to tell Hurley that something went wrong with the rescue mission. The change in languages between the two of them is certainly another aspect to drive this sequence further into bizarre territory. Of course, the chicken man serves to trigger Hurley’s memory to that last day with his friend.

Hurley and his friend Johnny (special guest DJ Qualls) had great chemistry, which is what a lot of this episode rode on. I hope that they will incorporate him in more Hurley flashback episodes. Johnny’s exuberance throughout the day with Hurley is negated when he learns the truth, which makes us understand why Hurley feels so anxious with his job. Hurley won’t have to look for a job the following day: Johnny will and that rift signifies the end of his friendship. Money changes everything, and we know that Hurley is adamant against change. This insecurity manifested itself again when he’s given control of the food, something everyone wants.

It causes friction with his best friend on the island, Charlie. Johnny is clearly a parallel to Charlie. Unfortunately, we haven’t seen much of Charlie since midway through the first season, as he has been focusing on Claire, who hasn’t had the attention the main cast usually gets. This episode changes that trend a bit. Charlie’s attitude, along with many of the politics about the hatch, is a bit childish. Since the leaders of the island appointed themselves to these positions, those not in power have reason to question why they have the power and why some people get some things and others don’t. It doesn’t help that there is no solidarity among the leaders, with Jack wanting secrecy and Locke openly asking any questions posed.

Since much of the focus of the first three episodes cover what was in the hatch, not much attention has been paid towards the other survivors, whose minds must be on those who left on the raft a few days earlier since the hatch is a big unknown. Of course, they have no way of knowing what happened to them, so the writers toss them a hint of uncertainty through the bottle filled with the messages. However, this doubt remains between Claire, Shannon (who apparently has become friends with Claire) and Sun, the only other person directly connected to the raft pack (my nickname for Jin, Michael, Sawyer and Walt, mainly the first three as Walt is MIA). Sun’s decision to hide it from the others was wise, as no one needs their hopes squashed yet, but it clearly will be hard for hear to bear it alone.

As it turns out, those who abducted the raft pack aren’t nearly as insidious as initially believed. They are the other Flight 815 survivors and they are afraid of anyone outside their group. Something has caused their initial tribe of 23 to dwindle down to five. Though some of our castaways have died, 43 are still alive. It appears that the threats looming over and occasionally visiting the original survivors, like disease and The Others, has engulfed the tailies. I wonder if they have encountered the “security” system. It will be great to see the flashbacks of the furious five to learn what happened during their time on the island.

Aside from the main Hurley plot and the B-tailies plot, the moments with Sayid exploring the magnetic core of the hatch produced some low-key, but possibly significant moments. This concrete offers some idea as to what the “incident” Dr. Marvin Candle referred to in the Orientation film. Of course, the comparison to Chernobyl is going to get raise certain expectations as to what the incident was. It will likely be some time before we learn significant details, but this morsel is enough to keep the speculation going.

Sayid’s attitude toward this is an interesting medium between Jack and Locke. The latter two men are clearly defined as a man of science and faith respectively. Sayid goes in with an open mind. He isn’t looking to confirm Jack or Locke’s beliefs, but to find out the truth and report it. Perhaps his time in Iraq conditioned him to keep his questions to himself for fear of what the government could possibly do.

I enjoyed having Rose return to the show. Unfortunately, because L. Scott Caldwell had other obligations, her role in the first season was limited to the first half of the season. Rose offers something that the other characters don’t: that of a guardian. Locke is close, but he is much more of a teacher and guide to the island than anything else. Rose’s maternal nature provided a necessary way to help Hurley from detonating the dynamite. It also made a sweet moment at the end, as she tucked in the chocolate bar for her husband, when they would reunite.

Some viewers questioned Hurley’s choice to give out all the food in the bunker instead of rationing it out. Hurley’s logic does make sense: there isn’t enough for forty people to survive on for a long period. However, this food could’ve easily been used as a form of payment in exchange for being on button duty. I don’t mind his solution, because it provides a nice moment to play against Bernard’s gratitude after learning his wife survived. “Lost” certainly benefits from feel good moments like this one considering the dark tone that’s always there.

While fickle viewers may complain that “nothing happened”, this episode had a lot of interesting character development, as they focused on Hurley’s dark side. Although many of the island mysteries remain unexplored this week, the character study is certainly worthwhile to develop Hurley. Some complained that there was no follow up about Hurley’s number, but what could they really do that would satisfy everyone? Those numbers appear to be one of the MacGuffin’s of Lost.
  • no surprises

This is one of the rare episodes that has no surprise in it. we all know that hugo won the lottary. i waited for this episode to see how come the korian man can speak english as it was in the previous episode end , but it was all a dream.
    overall a good episode to keep the show running.
  • For the first time in a while, a little more answers than mystery.

A good episode that adds more character development, as we see the progress both Hugo and Charlie have made in thier time on the island. The hatch is explored further, and Jin, Sawyer, and Michael finally find out just who the people are on the other side of the island. No real big mysteries are added, there aren't many 'filler' episodes in this series, but this is one of them. Character development galore, and a deeper examination of the people, places, and events on the island, but no typical cliff hanger leaving you wondering desperately "what's gonna happen next?". A good transitionary episode before what will invariably turn out to be more stuff hitting the fan.
  • They really, really hate him.

I suppose it's only fair that after three weeks of ball-hogging by our star players, its high time to let the rest of the team off the bench. And boy, we got everyone.

It seems the show is shifting back into a more straightforward narrative, giving us some breathing room to process everything we've learned. This episode was serene and touching and kind of funny, and even though I enjoyed the three-episode opener, I'm glad for the change. Change is good.

Unless you're Hurley. I have to admit, Hurley tries my nerves more often than not. I liked him at first, but after a while it seemed as though his sole purpose on the show was to stand around looking perplexed, throwing out a not-so-occasional "dude" for the other survivors to mull over thoughtfully. But this episode, like "Numbers" last season, reaffirms my faith that there's actually some depth to his character. I actually felt happy for him, and then a little sad. Winning the lottery brought good change for Hurley, but it was really his doing, not the money. His options were suddenly open. He could quit his job at the chicken shack and drive around stealing lawn gnomes with Adrien Brody. He even got a date. But those damned numbers ruined everything, naturally. Everything changed for the worse.

The only part I didn't like was him jumping back on the crazy train and trying to blow up the hatch with dynamite. It seemed like an awful stretch. He wanted to blow up what may be everyone's hope for survival because he was afraid people would be mad at him for being stingy with the food stores? How selfish. And silly. Good thing Rose talked him out of it.

Speaking of which, it was nice to see Rose again; I've missed her. She possesses a sweetness and a straightforward kind of common sense that most of the other characters seem to be lacking. Here's hoping she sticks around for a while and doesn't disappear again until season four.

Charlie pointed out something that I've noticed since late last season: there are a lot of secrets drifting around - now more than ever. An in-crowd has formed among the in-crowd, like some kind of freaky high school social paradox. Not everyone is in on the hatch, and it seems Jack and company would rather keep it that way. If only it were possible.

Sayid, always practical, is trying to figure out the inner workings of the hatch, though I'm still not sure why he was beating at the concrete with a piece of airplane fuselage. But anyway, we now know the island's source of electricity: geothermal power. Makes sense. And there's a shower, which provided us a look at plenty (but still not enough) of Kate.

Vincent looks healthy. Shannon must be taking good care of him.

For being the one person who is fully behind the "push the button" plan, Locke seems to be doing everything but. I noticed that he's wearing a clean shirt (take notes, Jack). The scene with him locking and loading the guns was eerily foreshadow-y.

Now we know for sure that the folks on the other side of the island aren't the Others: they're the other passengers. And Bernard is alive, just as Rose believed. That revelation was the highlight of the episode.

The ending was refreshingly happy. Everyone was smiling for once (except Sun, but I'll ignore that for now.) Claire got peanut butter. Charlie got a step further with Claire. It was so nice that I started to wonder why we don't get more happy endings like this. Then I realized that their rarity is what makes them so special.
  • A disconnect from the usual LOST plot. This episode reveals Hugo's fear of change of people's content with him. Flashbacks reveal more to the lotto numbers that potentially changed his relationships with the many he loved.

This episode was difficult for me to digest at first because it was very slow paced. But it really illustrates Hugo's inner conflicts very well. From an outsider's point of reference, it is easy to dismiss his dilemma. But this episode shows the shades of grey in his conflict.
  • this episode is about Hurly.

Hurley struggles with a task inside the hatch as he flashbacks to bad memories in his life before the crash. Meanwhile, Sawyer, Michael and Jin learn the identities of their captors on the island. The captors are the survivor of flight 815 but from the back of the plain. Claire uncovers a startling piece of information about the fate of the raft because she found the message in the bottle. This is one of my favorite episode because we see some Hurly flashbacks'. Hurly also tries to not do his task to protect the food room which is in the hatch. We also see the other survivors of flight 815 but from the back of the plane.
  • Not as good as Hurleys first flashback!

The focus of Hurleys firs flashback was on the numbers, they had great significance to them and we still know very little about them.

This flashback didn't tell us too much in comparison. We find out that after Hurley won the lottery he want everything to stay the same, but when it came out it destroyed his relationship.

I am a bit surprised that they chose Hurley of all people to look after the food and when he was pigging out I expected it to be real, but it turned out to be a crazy dream! Still hurley showed tremendous restraint!

Hurley thinks that by being given this job it would alienate himself from everyone else and he would end up being hated by all, but in the end everyone seems happy.

I'm not sure if there was much significance fo this episode, it seemed to be more of a filler episode. But we'll find out if its important eventually.
  • This episode doesn't leave you hungry, but one part of your appetite will be sated

Early in the shows run, it seemed that Hurley is closer to the 'Everyman' member of the shows ensemble, the normal guy who seems to have a better step in the real world, like Xander in Buffy or Marshall in Alias. Of course, this being Lost, the everyman's a multimillionaire cursed with incredibly bad luck who spent some time in an institution, but still that's a pretty good read on him. Now that the shows gone by, I can't help but wonder is Hugo carrying some psychic gene in him as well.
    Consider the opening dream sequence of 'Everybody Hates Hugo', where he dreams the real world with Jin speaking English with a bruise from where he got hurt on the other side of the island and Walt on the side of a milk cart., both events he has no way of knowing about. Considering what has happened to Hurley in later seasons, is it possible that he has some latent psychic gift that the island has given him? I'm not ruling out, even though I have no evidence.

In the meantime, Hurley has been given a responsibility that he didn't ask for and, frankly, one that I question Jack for putting him charge of in the first place--- the food storage area. Hurley is faced with a windfall of food, and he is worried about what will happen when the others find this embarrassment of riches. We get a sense of what might happen when Charlie, Hurley's closest friend on the island, first learns about what's in the hatch. He presses Hurley repeatedly, and when he asked for a special favor--- peanut butter for Claire--- and doesn't get it, he takes a dim view of Hurley for being 'the man'. Normally, we would think this was mean of Charlie, but it has a special kind of resonance for Hugo. His flashback takes place in the hours immediately after he won the lottery. Turns out he was wary about the problems the money would bring before he thought it was cursed. Pre lotto, Hugo was a regularly guy who worked at a fast food place with his friend Johnny, and hung out a record store where he yearned for a woman he never had the nerve to ask out. The money did give him a sense of confidence--- he basically told his overbearing boss where to get off, asked the girl on a date, and performed an act of malfeasance on his ex-boss' lawn--- but even then, it's clear he was petrified of what would happen when he stopped being normal. (By the way, you might not have noticed, but Hurley's boss as the chicken shack would later be Locke's boss at the box factory. Which begs the question, if Hurley really hated this guy, why'd he hire him to work at one of his companies? This is one mystery we may never get to the bottom of.) The look of dismay on Johnny's face when he learns what his best friend has been holding out on speaks louder than any remark could about how right Hurley was.

So now Hurley's placed in a similar situation when Jack puts him in charge, and just like Sayid being forced to torture again or Michael losing Walt, he is afraid history will repeat itself. But his 'solution' is so extreme, we wonder if Hurley really was all there when he got let out of the psych ward. First of all, I don't buy that sacredly little Hurley would have had the time or inclination to get the dynamite out of the ship. Second, his decision to blow the place up in order to make sure that no one hated him would definitely not work--- I think Jack and Locke and all the others would be pissed to find out that they lost a working shower, a washer dryer, and guns because Hurley was a little scared. Furthermore, when he makes his actual solution--- just giving the food away because there is only enough to last one guy three months.--- it doesn't seem real either. If Desmond was really in that bunker for three years there would have to had been a lot more food for he and Kelvin to have survived as long as they did. Finally, it later turns out this distribution is just another fraud, though we won't learn this for another several episodes.

Meanwhile, the fate of the rafties is no longer a secret as Claire discovers the message bottle that was in it. She then talks it over with Shannon, who decides to make the ultimate decision up to Sun for some reason. Considering that she had the most at stake in regard to the raft, it's hard to imagine that either of these women could be more insensitive. Yes, we know Jin's alive, but to Sun, this leads her to think she'll never see her husband again. However, like Locke, she knows the most important thing on this island is hope and refuses to take that away from anyone.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the island, Michael, Jin and Sawyer (who seems to be weakening from the wound he took) find that they are not the prisoners of the Others, but rather another group of survivors--- the group that was referred to as 'the tailies'. Turns out they had a very good reason for taking the rafties prisoners: At one point they numbered 23, but 'the Others' have been frequent visitors, and now there are only five of them remaining. These people are scared, cold and really worn out, though we won't learn the full depths of their suffering until a few episodes later.

Ana Lucia appears to be the de facto leader. She hard core and almost over-the top offensive, and a lot of fans did not like her, though I can understand why she's as stressed as they can be. Eko, the man who attacked them and put them in a cage is quiet and mysterious, Libby (who we see for the first time) seems quiet and kind. But even though he won't become a regular, the final survivor is the one who has the most effect: it's Bernard. Yes, Rose's husband, the one that was missing since the Pilot and who Rose has never given up on still being alive. Rose makes an appearance of her own in this episode, doing the wash, and providing an ear to Hurley, which makes a seemingly insignificant event near the end--- where Rose saves the chocolate bar to share with her husband--- all the more moving. We don't get a lot of pleasant surprises on Lost, and knowing that these two will be reunited in the not-too-distant future, that'll bring a lump to your throat. 'Everybody Hates Hugo' isn't as strong an episode as some of the others one, mainly because the main story isn't as strong as the others, . But it's a pretty funny piece, and it has some truly emotional moments that we don't get often. We're still not sure what's going on in the hatch, and we don't know the story behind the Others actions, but it seems that we're getting somewhere.
    My score: 8.5
  • Hugo always makes me laugh.

Not that anything exciting happened but it was a very good episode. I liked it, seems like I like every Lost episode that comes on. Hugo struggles to be responisble when it comes to saying no to Charley about a jar of peanut butter and we see some flashbacks of Hugo's life, him getting fired, him with a friend and him winning the lottery and how all this has to do with these few numbers. The flashbacks were funny at times but really emotional at other moments like he looks into his friend's eyes after his friend finds out he won the lottery. It was nice to see Shannon and Sun again after an abcense of two episodes. This episode was flled with Awwwwww moments which I thank the writer's for like when Bernard finds out that Rose is okay or when Hugo and Charley hug at the end of the episode or when Charlie gives Claire the jar of peanut butter. Also in this episode we find out that the people who captured Sawyer,Gin and Michael are actually other survivors of the plane. My favorite character from this episode is Hugo ! The food mister, my nickname for him :) Nice episode.
  • Its all good.

Excellant show.A little offcourse according to my liking but still okay.What you gonna do,its a Drama series afterall.
    The mystery elements are on the backburner again, but it's a strong character-based episode, and Hurley's always good value (we want more of him!). There's the impression that the flashbacks are less interesting than in the first season, while the real action should be taking place on the bunkertastic island. The hatch, which took forever to be opened, is now retreating into the background again.
< 1 2 3 4