Lost

Everybody Hates Hugo

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 12, 2005 on ABC

• Though light on revelations and speculation for the most part, this is one of the most heart-felt and soulful episodes of the show. Brilliant.

Lost fans tend to remember the more shocking moments when it comes to the Hit Parade of Lost episodes. Walkabout, the pilot, Numbers, Man of Science, Deux Ex Machina, etc. Yet perhaps it is more telling that when people talk about their favorite characters they reference other episodes. House of the Rising Sun, ...In Translation and Solitary are among the more touching Lost episodes, for they showcase character and heart. It's almost impossible to find a genre show with heart, and even harder to find one with one as big as Lost's.

After a shocking, heart-pounding season premiere and two episodes full of plot yet hampered but slow-moving flashbacks, it's a welcome change to have Everybody Hates Hugo be as impressive as it was. In character. Despite moving the plot forward the episode contains no major plot points (the one exception being the second hatch-type place) and almost all character. This is arguably the most satisfying Lost episode since Exodus (1) because it's good for the soul.

Particularly of note is the final sequence. Props to Michael Giacchino on his stunning score work. How long before we can get a CD of this stuff? Also credit should be given to the tremendous editing of Hurley's final flashback. The show rarely mixes flashbacks in tiny pieces through a scene, but it works so well here. What great insight into Hurly, insight that doesn't involve the numbers' magical powers, but their natural ones.

It may seem odd to be so satisfied by so little, but this is a truly memorable episode of Lost. There are 18 episodes left this season to deal with plot. I'm glad the Lost writers were sensible enough to remind us why their show is magic: its heart.
  • Overall, while not an overly critical episode in the grand scheme of things, this episode provided some great entertainment.

The latest episode of Lost was an excellent episode, although it did not move the story forward as much as some would have liked.
    The episode focuses on Hurley and his struggles to accept a new responsibility. Hurley's new job is to ration the food found in the hatch, and he has a hard time saying no to the people who want some of the food.
    Hurley's flashbacks show his life immediately after winning the lottery. His life changed significantly, and he is afraid that his life on the island will change with this new responsibility.
    I was very pleased to see the whole cast back together again, and I was very glad that everyone got some lines. It was great to see the island life once again, which is a huge contrast to life in the hatch. It was fun to have a care-free and fun ending like in the early days of the island, before all the trouble.
    Overall, while not an overly critical episode in the grand scheme of things (except for the discovery of the tail end survivors and Rose's husband), this episode provided some great entertainment. Hurley is always good for some laughs, and he was at the top of his game in this episode.
    Another great episode, another long wait for more. Here's hoping we see the two groups of survivors meet in the next one. It's gonna be interesting.
  • So the episode goes through the life of Hugo before he wins the lottery. Once the world finds out, his life is changed.

Very much a tearjerker. Hurley has the huge responsibility of orgainizing the food. The end with Bernard was very sad/happy. I am glad to see that he is alive. The fact that about 15 of the tail survivors died is sad. It will be interesting to see how they get to the other camp.
  • ...I loved the development on Hurley's character and the furthering of the story about his life after his lottery win, but all of these factors were cast under the shadow of one very large problem that this epidode had and now this show has...Michelle Rod

6.9
    OK, it wasn't as terrible as I probably would make it out to seem, but nothing happened at all. I did like however the development on Hurley's character and the furthering of the story about his life after his lottery win, but all of these factors were cast under the shadow of one very large problem that this epidode had and now this show has...Michelle Rodriguez.

This show has, great writing, great hooks in the story, great cinematography, and most of all, not one weak actor...all great acting. Michelle Rodriguez has ruined this...if you don't know who I'm talking about, the new tough girl survivor...you can catch some of her quality acting in The Fast and the Furious and S.W.A.T. Quite possibly two of the dumbest movies of all time, although fun to watch, but only because of cool effects and definately not even average acting in either.

Does nobody else hate how hard she tries to be tough? If I were Sawyer, I would knock her flat on her ass.

Anyways, I hope that the next episode steps it back up and brings some new hooks and big revelations into the mix since this one lacked them so much...and I hope Michelle Rodriguez's character gets sick and dies off too...but maybe that one's and long shot...
  • this was a good Episode, but more a filler than anything else... Keep the good Job ABC :P

I thoguht this episode was more of a "Filling in the Blanks" than something else.

The ep answer a lot of the questions we had a long the way ...

Hopefully the next episode will give us what the show started giving us at the biggining, More suspense and Mistery.
    Something to alwasy expect from the next episode, not only from the "Up Coming" trailers but from the whole episode.
  • We need some answers to questions, and have the plot progress a little more before we can appreciate a truly character-driven episode.

6.8
    Typically the most satisfying Lost episodes are not the ones where tremendous secrets of the Island are revealed, but instead are episodes where, through flashbacks, we gain a deeper understanding of the characters. Episodes like Solitary, and Outlaws come to mind as outstanding examples.

This episode should have been one to add to that list. Instead of furthering the plot, it gave new information as to where Hurley was coming from. However, this season, the show has not yet earned the right to give an episode of this nature.

The first three episodes raised many questions about the island. In addition, they moved the plot forward very slowly, with certain scenes (Desmond holding the gun to Locke’s head), appearing in every episode. With so many questions raised, and such little development in the early episodes, the show needs to give some answers. While the discovery at the end of Rose’s husband give some sense of forward motion, the plot has felt stagnant for the past four episodes. Give some answers to questions, then we can have another great character-focused episode.
  • Degroots. Who are they

Did anyone else notice that the male Degroot who helped start Dharma at the University of Michigan is the same guy only with a beard on the boat who abducts Walt. Take a looke at the pictures it is the same.

Overall I thought this episode was above average. i always like to get to know more on the background of the characters.

Supposedly a girl character is to be killed off soon.
  • They really, really hate him.

I suppose it's only fair that after three weeks of ball-hogging by our star players, its high time to let the rest of the team off the bench. And boy, we got everyone.

It seems the show is shifting back into a more straightforward narrative, giving us some breathing room to process everything we've learned. This episode was serene and touching and kind of funny, and even though I enjoyed the three-episode opener, I'm glad for the change. Change is good.

Unless you're Hurley. I have to admit, Hurley tries my nerves more often than not. I liked him at first, but after a while it seemed as though his sole purpose on the show was to stand around looking perplexed, throwing out a not-so-occasional "dude" for the other survivors to mull over thoughtfully. But this episode, like "Numbers" last season, reaffirms my faith that there's actually some depth to his character. I actually felt happy for him, and then a little sad. Winning the lottery brought good change for Hurley, but it was really his doing, not the money. His options were suddenly open. He could quit his job at the chicken shack and drive around stealing lawn gnomes with Adrien Brody. He even got a date. But those damned numbers ruined everything, naturally. Everything changed for the worse.

The only part I didn't like was him jumping back on the crazy train and trying to blow up the hatch with dynamite. It seemed like an awful stretch. He wanted to blow up what may be everyone's hope for survival because he was afraid people would be mad at him for being stingy with the food stores? How selfish. And silly. Good thing Rose talked him out of it.

Speaking of which, it was nice to see Rose again; I've missed her. She possesses a sweetness and a straightforward kind of common sense that most of the other characters seem to be lacking. Here's hoping she sticks around for a while and doesn't disappear again until season four.

Charlie pointed out something that I've noticed since late last season: there are a lot of secrets drifting around - now more than ever. An in-crowd has formed among the in-crowd, like some kind of freaky high school social paradox. Not everyone is in on the hatch, and it seems Jack and company would rather keep it that way. If only it were possible.

Sayid, always practical, is trying to figure out the inner workings of the hatch, though I'm still not sure why he was beating at the concrete with a piece of airplane fuselage. But anyway, we now know the island's source of electricity: geothermal power. Makes sense. And there's a shower, which provided us a look at plenty (but still not enough) of Kate.

Vincent looks healthy. Shannon must be taking good care of him.

For being the one person who is fully behind the "push the button" plan, Locke seems to be doing everything but. I noticed that he's wearing a clean shirt (take notes, Jack). The scene with him locking and loading the guns was eerily foreshadow-y.

Now we know for sure that the folks on the other side of the island aren't the Others: they're the other passengers. And Bernard is alive, just as Rose believed. That revelation was the highlight of the episode.

The ending was refreshingly happy. Everyone was smiling for once (except Sun, but I'll ignore that for now.) Claire got peanut butter. Charlie got a step further with Claire. It was so nice that I started to wonder why we don't get more happy endings like this. Then I realized that their rarity is what makes them so special.
  • So the other survivors found the other bunker but how did the rest of their group die??? Can't wait to find out. And from the looks of things, their bunker is low on power?

So the other survivors found the other bunker but how did the rest of their group die??? Can't wait to find out. And from the looks of things, their bunker is low on power? Also, did hurley distribute all the food in one night? The food of course will raise up questions. We'll see if they all decide to move into the bunker.
  • Great Episode, good flashbacks, interesting piece of the story of the other survivors. Can't wait to here more about them.

I really liked seeing more about hurley. Everyone knows he's the funny guy but he is also an interesting charachter. Sayid is also back to being useful and i was affraid that it would take forever wit the other survivors but it seems they will go to the other side of the island next episode. I think this episode is a great set up for big things to come.
  • We learn more about Hugo and why he feels the way he does through his flashbacks.

Another above average episode where we learn more about Hugo's character and why he comes to the decision at the end of the episode that makes everyone happy. I really like Hugo's back story much the same as I like Locke's. If you think about it, they both have a little in common.

Now about the episode. Like I said this is a Hugo-centric episode which goes into more detail about what happened soon after he won the lottery. It was very heartfelt, and I really felt for Hugo and what he was going through. I'm really beginning to like his character even more.

We also learn that some of the people that were in the back of the plane when it went down have also survived and are living on another part of the island. The previews at the end of the episode seemed to show us that these people are also having problems with the Others. It was stated that there were 23 of them, but by the looks of it many of them have died or something else. Can it be that the Others have been attacking them? We'll have to tune in next week to find out more about this in what appears to offer us some surprises.

Overall this episode didn't reveal any secrets or big plot details, but the story moved at a pretty good pace. Some people might think this is just a filler episode, but I found it to be pretty emotional. I was not surprised to discover that Rose's husband is alive just as she has been saying, but the way he acts when he discovers that she is alive was very well done, and how the director cuts to Rose putting the Apollo bar in her pocket shows that she still believes even though she doesn't know it for real yet. Or does she?
  • Hurley's past is explained. The other castaways are shown.

Once again the show leaves a person wanting more. This was a Hurley centered episode. The flashbacks center on his life before and after he his the lottery. Because he's dealt with that, he's uniquly able to see what will happen if everyone knows about the bnker. Those in the tail of the plane, apparently, had a harder time on their side of the island.
  • With a boat load of new characters on the island, could the new blonde woman have with the other survivors be the blond woman from the boat?

This is my first review but I've been watching LOST since day one and, yay, the show is great.

This episode sets the stage for a number of new storylines: the class difference between the two survivor camps (the haves and have nots); the development of relationships (Claire/Charlie, Kate/Jack, Sawyer and Ana-Lucia); and the positioning for an all out war (guns, guns and more guns).

This episode also introduced us to a boat load of new characters, including the introduction of a new "opening credits" character played by Cynthia Watros. Now I may be mistaken, but I think Watros plays the blonde woman (forget her name already) that is among the 23 survivors from the back of the plane. Well, it doesn't look at if there are 23 survivors any more and it is obvious that the have-nots have had many runs ins with the Others. Which begs the question: why have the have-nots been so disadvantaged? Could it be they've been infilrated by one of THE OTHERs and not been able to figure out withouth the help of Hurley's manifest? Recall the season finale when the pirate man took Walt. It was a blonde woman who tossed the cocktail that blew up the boat. Could this blonde be the "Ethan" of the have-nots? Once we learn her full name, lets play the anagram game to see if she can be an other. E-T-H-A-N R-O-M rearranged is O-T-H-E-R M-A-N. Of course, I could be way off but that is my speculation.

This episode was not filler. This episode did progress the story, just not as obviously as the previous three episodes. In position themselves for an all out war between the haves, have-nots and the others, we are left pondering many questions, including:
    -What happens when you press the button?
    -Is the have-not bunker fully stocked with food, guns, and other Dharma brand goodies?
    -How far apart are the two camps?
    -What happened to the majority of the have-nots?
    -Is this island radio-active, as Sayid alluded to? And, more importantly,
    -If the have-nots are not "the others", then who are "the others" and what's their story.

There is a lot of story to be told. This was a change episode. And as Locke said, change is good.

Episode Notes:
    -Sun burried the bottle, presumably to symbolize the burrial of her husband and not to upset the rest of the "haves".
    -There appears to be growing fued between the in-crowd and the outsiders.
    -Sawyer needs medical attention on his shoulder before it gets more infected. Paging Dr. Sheppard.
    -Ana-Lucia packs a mean punch.
    -Baby Aaron seems to be okay with no sunblock
  • New secrets and new bodies

This is a great show. And to think, I nearly gave it up last year.

The idea that another group of people are alive isn't much of a stretch. That Locke didn't know from his tracking is, however.

The bunker party, using the little food they had found, was brilliant. They are eating well enough with what they catch/find so sure, party on.

Bernard's alive! Gotta love that.

Never thought about all the negatives of winning the lottery. Hugo must have been miserable after losing his friends and typical way of life. Sometimes I think it's the routine that makes everything make sense. Without that, we are truly Lost.
  • Take hope from the heart of man, and you make him a beast of prey. -Quida

I loved this episode…things weren’t so frenetic, and we got a glimpse into how the rest of the survivors from the front of the plane are doing. We got a better sense of the “Other” survivors – they’re note mean and potentially cannibalistic after all. They’ve just not had a very good go of it, and they’re pissed off!

First, Hurley: Hurley is definitely an enigma. You’d like to stereotype him based on his physical appearance and what the not-so-forgiving societal norms have tagged overweight people to be, but each time he has a role in an episode, you get a glimpse of the depth of his character. I did not particularly like his mother – who knew he was Hispanic? I certainly didn’t. What difference does that make you say? Hispanic families are pretty tough on their boys – they’re supposed to be macho men. Being overweight and seemingly unambitious as Hurley might seem does not fit into the macho Hispanic mold.

Hurley is just a sweet, honest, down-to-earth man who likes things to be simple. I can picture him leading a rendition of “Kumbaya” spreading peace, love and happiness. In this crazy world, it is a welcome and refreshing thought!

However, I think the island is getting to him, for in his desire to keep things simple he certainly was not thinking logically. What’s up with trying to blow up the bunker? Like that was going to solve anything? Thank goodness Rose talked him out of it.

Ah, Rose. What a beautiful, sweet and strong woman. She is a woman of unshakable faith, believing that she and her husband have such a bond that she KNOWS he is alive. The scene in the other bunker where Bernard is revealed to be alive was the highlight of the show, and as life imitates art, restores hope that faith can indeed move mountains.

Speaking of the other bunker, do we think that the two bunkers are somehow connected? Both are powered, though the other bunker seems to be quite a bit more drab. After all Sayid was digging around in what seem like a crawl space underneath their bunker – possible that it could run all the way to the other one.

If there are two bunkers with one being on the other side (must be a hell of a liarge island!), is the other bunker also part of an experiment? Hmm…why does man always want to conduct experiments on one another that reduce us to mere lab-rats?

Other thoughts: It’s nice to see that the Others are also survivors of the crash. Apparently, they’ve not fared as well as Locke and the gang. They are so much more angry and aggressive. Perhaps because of what befell their fellow survivors? What did become of their fellow survivors if there were 23 of them?

In conclusion, it was nice to see a non-nail biting ending for once. Everyone in Locke’s group smiling and happy, even though it may be short lived. Perhaps we could all take a lesson or two. Life is short. All we really know is right now. Let’s make the most of it.
  • The new phrase for "jump the shark"

May well be "down the hatch". Last week the hatch scenes left me flat, the "pit" scenes were a bit more compelling, the backstory held my interest. This week, it all left me flat, and I'm wondering if there has been a shift in the writing staff - the scripts just don't seem as compelling as last year's. The show was about vulnerability, revelation and survival, and the hatch just seems too safe an environment to support the necessary emotional tension.
    There was a hint of a renewed Jack/Kate interest, perhaps to generate something between Sawyer and (Ana?), but I'm going to have a tough time with that pairing - butting heads doesn't always generate sparks.
    Again - what I'm missing is irony. Hugo's backstory from last year, the irony of someone who wins everything at once and loses (luck) incrementally was well done. In this episode, I was never sufficiently impressed with Hugo's emotional conflict, though the shot of him at the end, when the paparazzi rush him, was quite poignant. So was the introduction of Bernard - but that's all part of the problem - they're relying too much on single moments rather than episodes.
  • Hurley episodes have to be my personal favorite.

We get to see flashbacks into Hurley's life right when he finds out that he just won the lotto. Most people would be happy that they won the lottery but Hurley keeped it to himself (for reasons not known) Hurley knows that all the money will change him and the people in his life, thats why he asks out the girl he has had a crush on. We will have to wait till the next Hurley flashback to find out what happened with his friend.

Back on the island Sawyer, Jin, and Michael find out that they found the other people on the island (The people who had them in the pit) were from the back of the plane. Now we have two groups of people living on the same island and they have both found a bunker (Maybe the same one) Overall a great episode because we will have new cast members in the show. This also tells me that anything could happen in the show, we could have a ship crash into the island and bam more cast members. Great news for lost fans in this episode.
  • Raft folk find out their captors are from the tail of the plane, Hurley is put in charge of the food, which he doesn't like (flashes back to winning the lottery), and Jack sees Kate in the shower.

While things on the island continue to complicate, its good to see that they are returning to the character driven storylines that make the show so memorable.

This episode centers on Hurley, who is put in charge of inventorying the food found in Desmond's bunker. He immediately regrets this job, because he will have to prevent people from taking advantage of him, and losing their good favor.

He flashes back to the moment he finds out he won the lottery number with the legendary cursed numbers. Surprisingly, he doesn't immediately claim the jackpot, but holds on to the ticket. During an exchange with his mother, he explains that he likes his life the way it is, even though its fairly bland and difficult. He realizes that the lottery will no doubt complicate his life and his relationships with other people, just like the food in the bunker has.

Meanwhile, Michael, Sawyer and Jin are pulled out of the pit to discover that their captors are survivors from the rear of the plane. They are led to another bunker on the island, which appears to be the second of 6 Dharma stations scattered on the island. It is readily apparent that the tail folks have not had an easy time on the island (there were originally 23 of them, but it looks like they now number less than 10). It looks like these survivors have had many bouts with the group known as "the others," and have not faired too well. On a side note, we discover that Rose's husband Bernard is still alive with the tail folks in the plane, and that he is white. I find it somewhat amusing that we all expected the large black guy to be Rose's husband simply because of his race, and the writers of the show called us on our racial bias.

Jack and Sayid spent most of the episode trying to get inside the area that was blocked by concrete to no avail. Even by going underneath the floors they could find no easy way to get inside. This leads me to believe that whatever inside is radioactive, and they'd probably be better off leaving it alone.

Hurley continues to have difficulty deciding how to handle the food situation. At one point, he nearly blows it up with a stick of dynamite. Rose catches him though, and convinces him otherwise. He eventually comes to the conclusion that while there is a fairly good amount of food, it is not nearly enough to sustain 40+ people for very long. He decides to distribute it among everyone, and his fears of being outcast are assuaged.

While the plot was not furthered very much in this episode, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Hurley winning the lottery may have had effects caused by the numbers, but there would certainly be effects on his relationships with people after winning all that money. He apparently never figured out how to deal with it before the crash, but in his new situation, he dealt with the food situation in a way that prevented his relationships from crumbling.
  • and again nothing happened

0.9
    another show where nothing happens, wow! that's great! you could edit these 1 hour episodes into about 5 minutes that ins't an insult to your intelligence. it took them what 5 episodes to open the hatch, then wait for months to see what's in the hatch...an old computer, they have no story ideas left people, give it up. go home. turn off the lights.
  • Hugo gets some attention. One of the best written episodes to date!

I may be being a bit over generous with the 10/10 score but for me the episode truly deserved it.
    Over the last few weeks we've experienced somewhat of a darker Lost - one with so many answers adding to the strange and eerie mysticism of the show and the island - and this week is EXACTLY what was needed - to get the show back to something more light hearted and humourous - and what better character to choose than Hurley.

Everything was great about this. I complained last week that there were too many flashbacks ... well this week was just right. Little less flashback was what i think the show needed to keep it fresh.

Character development on this show has actualy been superb. The relationships between Jack and Kate - Charlie and Claire - Jin and Sun, Hurley and the whole group - Locke and Charlie - even Jack/ Sayid - it's been great.

I'm just so glad that Lost returned to something which it excelled at - it was great!

Credit to Jorge Garcia who is such a great actor, as well as Harold Perrinaeu and although she recieved very little screen time Yunjin Kim - not to mention Dominic Monaghan whose role in the show often goes under appreciated or even unnoticed - his work truly does add something great.

Nice to see Rose back as well! And all the new characters should certainly set up something special and add even more dynamics to the show!
    Cant wait for next week! :D
  • A little slow paced

This episode was pretty good, but I don't think it was as edge of your seat as all of the other episodes this season. I liked the Rose arc finally coming together, and I really liked the whole confusion about where the most of the 23 tail passengers went. All in all it was a pretty good episode, but I believe they could have worked a little more on the story.
  • Overall, this episode returns to the wide scope that dominated the first season, covering many plot threads and most of the characters, all while exploring Hurley’s fragile emotional state.

With the season premiere now effectively over, the writers return to the format typically used for the majority of the first season: one character profile supported by several subplots impacting the majority of the cast. In fact, with the arrival of characters from the tail section of the plane, there are more characters than ever to explore. The writers may not slip into that mode as smoothly as one would hope, but a lot of the changes are going to take time to work through.

This is another big moment for Hurley, and it’s interesting to see a different perspective on the darkly comic back story that was revealed in “Numbers”. One could assume that part of Hurley’s “curse” was the isolating effect of being a sudden millionaire, but since the events of “Numbers” were so expansive, the personal element wasn’t fully explored. Johnny, Hurley’s friend, was a good vehicle for covering Hurley’s emotional state.

Basically, Hurley hates the way that things change when everyone discovers that you have the one thing that everybody wishes they had. It’s not subtle, but it doesn’t need to be. Hurley’s never been the most complicated character, and it’s his simplicity that makes him so easy to identify with. He is the “Everyman” on the island, helping the writers expound on the philosophies of the more prominent characters through his fairly “normal” point of view.

In this episode, he seems to highlight the negative side of Jack. Jack makes the decision to hide the contents of the hatch from as many people as possible, especially the foodstuffs and other consumables. He puts Hurley in charge of that job, which places Hurley in a very difficult position. Nearly everyone has felt that way before, and it’s never easy. Hurley doesn’t lie very well, and he hates being the bad guy. Jack puts him in that position.

Locke, however, is no better, even coming from a very different point of view than Jack. Locke is less concerned about keeping the hatch and its contents secret than making sure that the button is pushed on time and giving everyone responsibility to see it done. Everyone has a role, and Locke doesn’t want to make it voluntary. This is the side of Locke that fits well with Jack, at least when their dictatorial leanings are aligned to the same purpose.

When the producers mentioned that the mystery of the hatch would be an ongoing plot thread for the season, they weren’t kidding. For something that wasn’t at all apparent for roughly 40 days, the various structures built by the Dharma Initiative seem to be popping out of the woodwork. Not only is there Station 3 on this side of the island, but on the other side, the AnaLucia Tribe is holed up in some kind of Dharma structure. Is the transmitter building, still unseen, also part of the Dharma installation?

Speaking of the Dharma Institute, some interesting comments were made after the previous episode. Apparently, if one looks closely at the man who took away Walt in “Exodus: Part II”, he looks an awful lot like one of the people who started the Dharma Initiative. If the Others are people who used to be Dharma employees/followers, it lends credence to the theory that they were part of the experiment, whether as a “control group” or manipulators of the situation.

The hatch seems to be powered by geothermal energy, according to Sayid, and whatever is causing the magnetic anomalies on the island seems to be well-hidden. One wonders if getting to that secret will be the next stage of exploration. It’s also interesting to note that the food situation seemed designed to last Desmond for only a little while longer. What would have happened if Desmond ran out of food? Is someone from Dharma expected to arrive soon, or did something go wrong?

What if the experiment conducted by Dharma went wrong? What if what was the original intention of the island, perhaps some extreme behavioral study, turned into something very different, something less controlled? The Others could, in fact, be infected by something, just as Danielle seemed to indicate. This could be why the producers keep insisting that the island is not an experiment; perhaps it was in the past, and now things are far less controlled.

There’s also the open question of when the series is actually taking place. The producers tossed out that question in the press recently, which is an interesting point. While the history of Dharma seems clear enough (the film in “Orientation” was made in 1980), it’s not at all clear when the series itself must take place. Sure, some of the flashbacks suggest a very recent timeframe, but not necessarily. That would add another layer of confusion to the whole “16 years of transmission” question, leaving a lot of wiggle room for the writers.

There were a lot more character moments this time around. In particular, the attraction between Jack and Kate has restored itself after their artificial conflict in the season premiere (her motivations still don’t make sense), right down to that wonderful shower scene. Kate is exactly the type to talk her way around Jack’s restrictions!

Sayid and Jack had their little adventure under the hatch, but beyond that, it’s not clear where their dynamic is going. Sayid still has plenty of issues with Locke, so one would naturally assume that Sayid would side with Jack. But Sayid hasn’t always been content to follow Jack’s lead, and he could react badly when they finally have direct contact with the AnaLucia Tribe.

Charlie is not the best person in the world in this episode; in fact, he reacts a bit too selfishly under the circumstances. Then again, Charlie is trying very hard to be happy with his emerging relationship with Charlie and Aaron, and he needs that to resist the urge to relapse. So perhaps that plays into his attitude in this episode.

Claire finally gets her peanut butter (and the audience gets to revel in her reaction), and she also got to discover the bottle full of messages. Emilie is finally freed of that fake belly, and she looks so much better for it. Shannon also came back into the picture, but she’s obviously still grieving and this episode is only a minor salve for her wounds. Sun makes an interesting choice about the bottle, however, which is not unlike the decision by Jack and the rest to hide the hatch; sometimes it’s better not to know.

On the other side of the island, Sawyer still seems to be fighting the urge to drop dead from a blood infection. He’s definitely seen better days, but how much can this guy take? He’s been beaten, stabbed, tortured, and shot. Hopefully there’s a doctor on the AnaLucia Tribe. Michael and Jin don’t contribute much, beyond the very end, when they meet Rose’s husband. One thing is abundantly clear: the AnaLucia Tribe has been decimated over the past 40+ days, and it ought to be interesting to know what happened and how they react to the JackLocke Tribe, who has been far more fortunate. It’s also hard to tell whether Rose will become another prominent character.

Overall, the main plot thread advanced a little bit, and the writers seemed to struggle with the idea of returning to the wider scope with so many new characters and situations. Hurley was a good place to start, since his confusion and conflict is on par with the audience. One can only hope that the transition will be swift and the story will continue moving forward at a reasonable pace.
  • Hey it didn't reveal much, but why should you care when a episode is this fun?

I don't understand those who don't like episodes that don't reveal anything. This episode revealed little, but I loved it just the same! The Hurly flashbacks were very funny, including when he was listening to Drive Shaft and when he used gnomes to write on his ex-bosses lawn. And his ex-boss was named Randy! Lockes boss was named Randy! Sawyer had some absolutly funny lines and Rose was back! We also meet some other survivors of the tail section including Libby and Bernard! (Roses husband)
  • more great writing and photography

The LOST style is like so many other series though so different. The difference is it keeps your mind on the edge releasing bits of connectivity and at the same time creating more openings that are to be answered. The number things has become very complex
    * 4 8 15 16 23 42 are Jorge’s bad luck numbers that won him the Mega Lotto Jackpot plus all the bad things along with being on the entrance of the
    capsule
    * These numbers equal 108 when added together
    * 4 8 15 16 23 42 are the password numbers used to reset the time counter in the underground capsule.
    * 108 is the number of minutes reset each time.
    * 540 is the number of days the original pair of monitors (persons) was supposed to stay in the capsule for the experiment
    * There are supposed to be 5 different capsule locations. I don’t remember which number this capsule is
    * 5 times 108 equal 540
    * Does any of this make sense? I sure hope so. The question is when will it
    make sense and what sense will it make?
    * Originally there are 23 ‘Others’
    * Currently (I think) there are 42 remaining passengers.
    * The flight number was Oceanic 815 with reference to the 8 and the 15
    * 4 and 16 are unaccounted for
    * What were the seat/row numbers mentioned?
    * What was the date of the flight and crash?
    * There seems to be reason to believe some of the Others were on flight 815
    * The writing of this series is incredible with all the hidden references way
    beyond the numbers. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do
    * Ordinary people being extraordinary persons
  • A very heartwarming episode. Makes you feel sick but brings a smile to your face at the same time!

Overall I found this installment quite interesting. Hugo is one of the funniest people on the island and although he's not at his best in this episode, he's still entertaining. I love the part where he was gulping down all the food (even if it was a dream).

It does seem a little silly putting the "big guy" in charge of all the food! Its obviously not going to be there for long and look what happened, by the next night its all gone.

Ok, fair enough he did give it out to everyone BUT it seems to me that the amount of food in that room was a lot more than what everyone was eating. I reckon the fat man is hourding it somewhere and who can blame him.

This was a bit of a sappy episode with the soft music, everyone laughing and eating, even a close up of the laughing baby's face. Very watchable but let's hope theres a bit more action in the next episode.

This series looks like it'll beat the first one, can't wait till the next episode.
  • Everyone wishes for wealth. Hurley shows the other side of the coin.

Reading the reviews of others, it seems to break into two camps: action and plot twists all the time or the show sucks; and those who appreciate the subtleties of a glance. Guess which camp I'm in.

I'd never really thought about the problems of newfound wealth. Wealth changes everything. Unless, as Hurley proved, you make your own changes. You could say that he shrugged of the responsibility given to him, but I think he wasn't giving up on his charge. He reinvented it to reflect the lessons he learned.

I'm very interested in the second bunker. Not as well equipped, abandoned by its lab rat. It seems the tailers have been dying off. Maybe someone didn't push the button.

Oh, and bless the guy who created the dream. Hugo talkin' Korean, the guy in the chicken suit. Sweet.

Well, thanks for listening, and have a cluckety-cluck-cluck day.
  • A very interesting 42 min

In my sanctamonius opinion, the character development on Lost is by far the best on TV. A marvellous addition to the lost series.
    It is really quite nice to see a show that focuses on the characters, diologue and acting rather than supporting the masses by giving them what they want, being the "Answers". Hurley is one of my favourite characters and this episode really sets it in stone. The guy can really act!!. Nice to see more development Roses character as well as answering the question from back in the old days, "my husband is still alive". Sawyers' part in this episode was terrific, the "keeping it real" attitude blends really well with drama relief for the audience. Lost Rules!!
  • Hugo always reminds me of what kind of person we SHOULD be - honest, thoughtfull, and cautious. And Charlie, thinking of Claire first, shows such a sweet side of himself.

Everyone dreams of winning money - Hugo makes us realize that money does NOT solve problems - it merely disguises old ones and creates new ones. And Charlie - well, the way he wanted nothing for himself, only for Claire, just about brought a tear to my eye.
    The whole Kate-Jack thing is getting old though. They need to 1) get to it already and 2) move on!
  • Hugo has the authority to decide what to do with the supplies in the Hatch.

Poor Hugo has to decide who gets what supplies from the hatch. He thinks that people will get mad at him because of the decisions he makes. He doesn't want to. Even threatens to blow up the hatch. He ends up passing out some supplies. He needs to be a little braver considering the situation they are in at the moment. Jack supports his decision when he finally chooses to pass out some of the things in the hatch. The fact that the black woman, can't remember her name's husband is still alive like she was convinced he was when he was in the tail section of the airplane which broke off in midflight, tells us something. The island must be at least somewhat large for them not to have seen the other side of the island.
  • For the first time in a while, a little more answers than mystery.

A good episode that adds more character development, as we see the progress both Hugo and Charlie have made in thier time on the island. The hatch is explored further, and Jin, Sawyer, and Michael finally find out just who the people are on the other side of the island. No real big mysteries are added, there aren't many 'filler' episodes in this series, but this is one of them. Character development galore, and a deeper examination of the people, places, and events on the island, but no typical cliff hanger leaving you wondering desperately "what's gonna happen next?". A good transitionary episode before what will invariably turn out to be more stuff hitting the fan.
< 1 2 3 4