Lost

Everybody Hates Hugo

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 12, 2005 on ABC

• Though light on revelations and speculation for the most part, this is one of the most heart-felt and soulful episodes of the show. Brilliant.

Lost fans tend to remember the more shocking moments when it comes to the Hit Parade of Lost episodes. Walkabout, the pilot, Numbers, Man of Science, Deux Ex Machina, etc. Yet perhaps it is more telling that when people talk about their favorite characters they reference other episodes. House of the Rising Sun, ...In Translation and Solitary are among the more touching Lost episodes, for they showcase character and heart. It's almost impossible to find a genre show with heart, and even harder to find one with one as big as Lost's.

After a shocking, heart-pounding season premiere and two episodes full of plot yet hampered but slow-moving flashbacks, it's a welcome change to have Everybody Hates Hugo be as impressive as it was. In character. Despite moving the plot forward the episode contains no major plot points (the one exception being the second hatch-type place) and almost all character. This is arguably the most satisfying Lost episode since Exodus (1) because it's good for the soul.

Particularly of note is the final sequence. Props to Michael Giacchino on his stunning score work. How long before we can get a CD of this stuff? Also credit should be given to the tremendous editing of Hurley's final flashback. The show rarely mixes flashbacks in tiny pieces through a scene, but it works so well here. What great insight into Hurly, insight that doesn't involve the numbers' magical powers, but their natural ones.

It may seem odd to be so satisfied by so little, but this is a truly memorable episode of Lost. There are 18 episodes left this season to deal with plot. I'm glad the Lost writers were sensible enough to remind us why their show is magic: its heart.
  • Yes, I read comments, I've talked to people. "Nothing happened", you say. But hell, it was one great episode. We got LOST back!

I know, you all want the action. All the mysteries and that. Well, I thank god we finally got LOST back.
    What happened to the drama in the show? the people? the relationships?
    C'mon, no way you could just sit there and watch Charlie hand Claire the peanut butter without so much as a smile, or a giggle.
    No way you didn't say "Poor Sun" when she burried the bottle, 'cause she thought her husband is dead.
    No way you couldn't say "wow. Everybody LOVES Hugo!" when he handed out the food, and no way you didn't spill one tear when Bernard asked about Rose.

This was, so far, my favourite episode of the season. So what if the only thing that happened is Anna-Lucia beating the hell out of Sawyer? So what if we didn't find out what happened to the other people on the rear of the plane? (The ones that aren't alive).

I think LOST has lost something in the 3 first episodes, something that I believe made us all fall in love with it at first.
    But now, in this episode, LOST proves that she's still got it, and it's not going anywhere. Thank you, Damon Lindelof =)
  • Take hope from the heart of man, and you make him a beast of prey. -Quida

I loved this episode…things weren’t so frenetic, and we got a glimpse into how the rest of the survivors from the front of the plane are doing. We got a better sense of the “Other” survivors – they’re note mean and potentially cannibalistic after all. They’ve just not had a very good go of it, and they’re pissed off!

First, Hurley: Hurley is definitely an enigma. You’d like to stereotype him based on his physical appearance and what the not-so-forgiving societal norms have tagged overweight people to be, but each time he has a role in an episode, you get a glimpse of the depth of his character. I did not particularly like his mother – who knew he was Hispanic? I certainly didn’t. What difference does that make you say? Hispanic families are pretty tough on their boys – they’re supposed to be macho men. Being overweight and seemingly unambitious as Hurley might seem does not fit into the macho Hispanic mold.

Hurley is just a sweet, honest, down-to-earth man who likes things to be simple. I can picture him leading a rendition of “Kumbaya” spreading peace, love and happiness. In this crazy world, it is a welcome and refreshing thought!

However, I think the island is getting to him, for in his desire to keep things simple he certainly was not thinking logically. What’s up with trying to blow up the bunker? Like that was going to solve anything? Thank goodness Rose talked him out of it.

Ah, Rose. What a beautiful, sweet and strong woman. She is a woman of unshakable faith, believing that she and her husband have such a bond that she KNOWS he is alive. The scene in the other bunker where Bernard is revealed to be alive was the highlight of the show, and as life imitates art, restores hope that faith can indeed move mountains.

Speaking of the other bunker, do we think that the two bunkers are somehow connected? Both are powered, though the other bunker seems to be quite a bit more drab. After all Sayid was digging around in what seem like a crawl space underneath their bunker – possible that it could run all the way to the other one.

If there are two bunkers with one being on the other side (must be a hell of a liarge island!), is the other bunker also part of an experiment? Hmm…why does man always want to conduct experiments on one another that reduce us to mere lab-rats?

Other thoughts: It’s nice to see that the Others are also survivors of the crash. Apparently, they’ve not fared as well as Locke and the gang. They are so much more angry and aggressive. Perhaps because of what befell their fellow survivors? What did become of their fellow survivors if there were 23 of them?

In conclusion, it was nice to see a non-nail biting ending for once. Everyone in Locke’s group smiling and happy, even though it may be short lived. Perhaps we could all take a lesson or two. Life is short. All we really know is right now. Let’s make the most of it.
  • This episode proves that this show can go anywhere... and probably will.

No, this episode didn't keep us on the edge of our seat, but does it really need to do that every week? I liked this episode for the comic relief. If you didn't laugh at "suck shaft" then somethings wrong. I was like, I know he didn't just say suck shaft. Too funny! I wonder how long it took Jorge Garcia to learn Korean. I guess it was Korean, I don't speak it so I don't know. How about Hurley on video eating chicken and Randy was like, "shall we watch more" or something like that. Another funny moment. Next weeks episode will probably make up for this weeks lack of drama, but that's ok as this episode was another great one. Keep up the great work!!
  • We need some answers to questions, and have the plot progress a little more before we can appreciate a truly character-driven episode.

6.8
    Typically the most satisfying Lost episodes are not the ones where tremendous secrets of the Island are revealed, but instead are episodes where, through flashbacks, we gain a deeper understanding of the characters. Episodes like Solitary, and Outlaws come to mind as outstanding examples.

This episode should have been one to add to that list. Instead of furthering the plot, it gave new information as to where Hurley was coming from. However, this season, the show has not yet earned the right to give an episode of this nature.

The first three episodes raised many questions about the island. In addition, they moved the plot forward very slowly, with certain scenes (Desmond holding the gun to Locke’s head), appearing in every episode. With so many questions raised, and such little development in the early episodes, the show needs to give some answers. While the discovery at the end of Rose’s husband give some sense of forward motion, the plot has felt stagnant for the past four episodes. Give some answers to questions, then we can have another great character-focused episode.
  • The testament that Hugo undergoes being in charge of the food and his past experiences relate quite well.

With Hugo being in charge of this newly found hatch-pantry if you will left me with this sense of irony about the fact that Hugo was in such a position, and we see him take full advantage of this privaledge by going to town with whatever was in sight. But after he undergoes the treatment he receives from Charlie about the fact that he is not being upfront about what is going on with Charlie and will not give in to his simple request for peanut butter because he sees down the line what is going to happen in result. The flashback is an exact relation to these circumstances that he is in on the island with him winning the lottery before the plane crash, and even though there is no actual showing of what happens to Hugo's friend, we can conclude that their friendship is destroyed after the media surrounds Hugo with this newly found lottery winner. So what else could Hugo possibly do besides blow it all up right?
  • great episode

A Hurley flashback episode, we see more stuff about him and what he was doing before he went to Australia. It turns out that there was some kind of curse that might have lead him to this island. He won a sweepstakes draw that got him millions of dollars. But it also destroyed his relationship with his closest friends. Meanwhile, at the other side of the island, Sawyer, Michael and Jin get to know who their captors are. It's an exciting episode, the Hurley flashbacks are well made, they work out well with the myth of the Lost series. I really enjoyed this episode.
  • emotional, grippping, fascinating

This is a prime example of what makes this show great. A lot of mystery, alot of action, and alot of emotion and good acting really fuel the shows sucess. Hurley is one of the most interesting characters in any TV series and I loved the flashback on him. And whatever is building on the other side of the island is very ineteresting. The whole element of the survivors from the back of the plane is eery and fascinating. Especially since there look to be ALOT less than the 20 something they said there were. Where did they go? What happened to them? How did they survive the plane? All questiong that keep me watching.
  • Hey it didn't reveal much, but why should you care when a episode is this fun?

I don't understand those who don't like episodes that don't reveal anything. This episode revealed little, but I loved it just the same! The Hurly flashbacks were very funny, including when he was listening to Drive Shaft and when he used gnomes to write on his ex-bosses lawn. And his ex-boss was named Randy! Lockes boss was named Randy! Sawyer had some absolutly funny lines and Rose was back! We also meet some other survivors of the tail section including Libby and Bernard! (Roses husband)
  • The past few episodes have been great, but now we return to classic Lost.

So far, this season has been great. It hasn't shown more than the first few hours after the hatch was blown open, but it's revealed an awful lot: that there was someone down there, that the hatch had something to do with a research project and so on.

Eventually we had to return to classic Lost. And now we have. Gradually. There's still a lot of mucking about in the hatch, as you'd expect, and one such issue forms the central point of this episode's plot, namely the distribution of the resources that were stored in the hatch (i.e. food) and the problems that that could cause.

But, like last season, the more human side is steadily being brought back into focus. Again we're following Hurley, but we're also learning a little bit about what happened to the survivors from the second section of the plane.

We're also reminded about some of the ongoing issues and concerns the survivors had during the first season: knowing that loved ones were alive and knowing that they should be dead.
  • We learn more about Hugo and why he feels the way he does through his flashbacks.

Another above average episode where we learn more about Hugo's character and why he comes to the decision at the end of the episode that makes everyone happy. I really like Hugo's back story much the same as I like Locke's. If you think about it, they both have a little in common.

Now about the episode. Like I said this is a Hugo-centric episode which goes into more detail about what happened soon after he won the lottery. It was very heartfelt, and I really felt for Hugo and what he was going through. I'm really beginning to like his character even more.

We also learn that some of the people that were in the back of the plane when it went down have also survived and are living on another part of the island. The previews at the end of the episode seemed to show us that these people are also having problems with the Others. It was stated that there were 23 of them, but by the looks of it many of them have died or something else. Can it be that the Others have been attacking them? We'll have to tune in next week to find out more about this in what appears to offer us some surprises.

Overall this episode didn't reveal any secrets or big plot details, but the story moved at a pretty good pace. Some people might think this is just a filler episode, but I found it to be pretty emotional. I was not surprised to discover that Rose's husband is alive just as she has been saying, but the way he acts when he discovers that she is alive was very well done, and how the director cuts to Rose putting the Apollo bar in her pocket shows that she still believes even though she doesn't know it for real yet. Or does she?
  • Overall, while not an overly critical episode in the grand scheme of things, this episode provided some great entertainment.

The latest episode of Lost was an excellent episode, although it did not move the story forward as much as some would have liked.
    The episode focuses on Hurley and his struggles to accept a new responsibility. Hurley's new job is to ration the food found in the hatch, and he has a hard time saying no to the people who want some of the food.
    Hurley's flashbacks show his life immediately after winning the lottery. His life changed significantly, and he is afraid that his life on the island will change with this new responsibility.
    I was very pleased to see the whole cast back together again, and I was very glad that everyone got some lines. It was great to see the island life once again, which is a huge contrast to life in the hatch. It was fun to have a care-free and fun ending like in the early days of the island, before all the trouble.
    Overall, while not an overly critical episode in the grand scheme of things (except for the discovery of the tail end survivors and Rose's husband), this episode provided some great entertainment. Hurley is always good for some laughs, and he was at the top of his game in this episode.
    Another great episode, another long wait for more. Here's hoping we see the two groups of survivors meet in the next one. It's gonna be interesting.
  • Hilarious!!

Ok, This begining with Hurley's dream was the most funniest thing I have ever seen on LOST!!!!!! Many people say that this was a stupid episode because it didn't have any action in it. But that is ok with me. I could use a break from all the intense with some good quality Hurley Humor.
  • They really, really hate him.

I suppose it's only fair that after three weeks of ball-hogging by our star players, its high time to let the rest of the team off the bench. And boy, we got everyone.

It seems the show is shifting back into a more straightforward narrative, giving us some breathing room to process everything we've learned. This episode was serene and touching and kind of funny, and even though I enjoyed the three-episode opener, I'm glad for the change. Change is good.

Unless you're Hurley. I have to admit, Hurley tries my nerves more often than not. I liked him at first, but after a while it seemed as though his sole purpose on the show was to stand around looking perplexed, throwing out a not-so-occasional "dude" for the other survivors to mull over thoughtfully. But this episode, like "Numbers" last season, reaffirms my faith that there's actually some depth to his character. I actually felt happy for him, and then a little sad. Winning the lottery brought good change for Hurley, but it was really his doing, not the money. His options were suddenly open. He could quit his job at the chicken shack and drive around stealing lawn gnomes with Adrien Brody. He even got a date. But those damned numbers ruined everything, naturally. Everything changed for the worse.

The only part I didn't like was him jumping back on the crazy train and trying to blow up the hatch with dynamite. It seemed like an awful stretch. He wanted to blow up what may be everyone's hope for survival because he was afraid people would be mad at him for being stingy with the food stores? How selfish. And silly. Good thing Rose talked him out of it.

Speaking of which, it was nice to see Rose again; I've missed her. She possesses a sweetness and a straightforward kind of common sense that most of the other characters seem to be lacking. Here's hoping she sticks around for a while and doesn't disappear again until season four.

Charlie pointed out something that I've noticed since late last season: there are a lot of secrets drifting around - now more than ever. An in-crowd has formed among the in-crowd, like some kind of freaky high school social paradox. Not everyone is in on the hatch, and it seems Jack and company would rather keep it that way. If only it were possible.

Sayid, always practical, is trying to figure out the inner workings of the hatch, though I'm still not sure why he was beating at the concrete with a piece of airplane fuselage. But anyway, we now know the island's source of electricity: geothermal power. Makes sense. And there's a shower, which provided us a look at plenty (but still not enough) of Kate.

Vincent looks healthy. Shannon must be taking good care of him.

For being the one person who is fully behind the "push the button" plan, Locke seems to be doing everything but. I noticed that he's wearing a clean shirt (take notes, Jack). The scene with him locking and loading the guns was eerily foreshadow-y.

Now we know for sure that the folks on the other side of the island aren't the Others: they're the other passengers. And Bernard is alive, just as Rose believed. That revelation was the highlight of the episode.

The ending was refreshingly happy. Everyone was smiling for once (except Sun, but I'll ignore that for now.) Claire got peanut butter. Charlie got a step further with Claire. It was so nice that I started to wonder why we don't get more happy endings like this. Then I realized that their rarity is what makes them so special.
  • How do we get out of a boring and pointless plot???... Oh yeah, a cheesy ending...

Where is the mystery?
    Last series was all about exciting adventures and discoveries on the island and in the characters past now it\'s spent mostly with the characters sitting still (on the island, raft and in their past) while making 2 cent conversation.
    Why doesn\'t anything make sense?
    Why would the guy in the bunker tie up at gun point the first person he can use for shift?
    How long Sawyer stay with his shoulder like that without an infection?
    And they had to put the touchy music on at the end and have Hurly hand food to everyone in the worst cheesiest way.
    Why? Why? Why?
    I used to like this series, but now I'm only watching out of hope for a descent comeback.
  • A Hurley-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode an awful lot. As a whole, I thought that this episode was very well written and well acted by everyone involved, and I loved all of the story lines in this episode. The flash backs of Hurley's life before the plane crashed on the island were great. While I loved all of the story lines in this episode, I would definitely have to say that Sawyer's story line was my favorite. I absolutely loved Sawyer in this episode. All of the characters were great in this episode. I also thought that this episode did a really good job of introducing the new characters. All in all, I thought that this was another amazing episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the next episode of the second season of Lost.
  • Hugo gets some attention. One of the best written episodes to date!

I may be being a bit over generous with the 10/10 score but for me the episode truly deserved it.
    Over the last few weeks we've experienced somewhat of a darker Lost - one with so many answers adding to the strange and eerie mysticism of the show and the island - and this week is EXACTLY what was needed - to get the show back to something more light hearted and humourous - and what better character to choose than Hurley.

Everything was great about this. I complained last week that there were too many flashbacks ... well this week was just right. Little less flashback was what i think the show needed to keep it fresh.

Character development on this show has actualy been superb. The relationships between Jack and Kate - Charlie and Claire - Jin and Sun, Hurley and the whole group - Locke and Charlie - even Jack/ Sayid - it's been great.

I'm just so glad that Lost returned to something which it excelled at - it was great!

Credit to Jorge Garcia who is such a great actor, as well as Harold Perrinaeu and although she recieved very little screen time Yunjin Kim - not to mention Dominic Monaghan whose role in the show often goes under appreciated or even unnoticed - his work truly does add something great.

Nice to see Rose back as well! And all the new characters should certainly set up something special and add even more dynamics to the show!
    Cant wait for next week! :D
  • Great episode!

Omg! I cried when we found out Bernard is alive! It was so sweet how concerned he was about Rose! I'm so happy!!!

The dream sequence at the beginning was pretty brilliant. Very similar to the beginning of the season, but with some originality. Everything seems so real untl...

Hurley's flashbacks were pretty good. Interesting references to Charlie (through Drive Shaft) and to Locke (the box company and Randy). And I think DJ Qualls was an excellent choice for Hurley's best friend.

Finally, someone includes Rose in all the craziness of the island. I was glad Hurley decided to confide in her. It's good to know the writers and producers are still thinking of her. Between that and Bernard being found alive, it looks like she'll stick around for a while. Of course, on the island, you never know.
  • Hurley episodes have to be my personal favorite.

We get to see flashbacks into Hurley's life right when he finds out that he just won the lotto. Most people would be happy that they won the lottery but Hurley keeped it to himself (for reasons not known) Hurley knows that all the money will change him and the people in his life, thats why he asks out the girl he has had a crush on. We will have to wait till the next Hurley flashback to find out what happened with his friend.

Back on the island Sawyer, Jin, and Michael find out that they found the other people on the island (The people who had them in the pit) were from the back of the plane. Now we have two groups of people living on the same island and they have both found a bunker (Maybe the same one) Overall a great episode because we will have new cast members in the show. This also tells me that anything could happen in the show, we could have a ship crash into the island and bam more cast members. Great news for lost fans in this episode.
  • One of my favorite episodes from season two.

Between Hurley's struggling with what to do with all the food, and the raft survivors being taken captive by who they think are the Alleged "others", this episode is well plotted and extremely entertaining. The last two scenes are what really got me.... When Hurley is handing out the food to everyone (especially the part where he gives Charlie the peanut butter for Claire), and Bernard finding out Rose is still alive. Besides the episode One of Them, this is defiantly high on my favorite season 2 episodes list.
  • We learn more about the bunker, more about the people that are holding the raft guys, friendships are tried and tested but resolved with a nice jar of peanut butter - hmmm wonder if that would solve all problems in the world. LOL.

The episodes starts off with Hugo in the store cupboard of the bunker, gorging his way through bits of everything and then Jin appears speaking english at Hugo, which he comments on, only to be told that he's speaking korean and then a man in a chicken suit is standing next to him.

We have flashbacks to where Hugo falls after seeing that he won the lottery, when asked about it he does not tell his mom, he just puts the ticket into his pocket, the same thing occurs when he is at work, he just keeps quiet about it - even from his friends.

The others that are still at the bunker are looking around, trying to understand things, Sayid is trying to figure out what is behind the thick concrete that is causing so much magnetic interference. Hurley is getting quizzed by Charlie but he can't say anything about it.

The raft guys are still down a pit, but the buy and girl comes back and wants Jin to climb out, Sawyer tells him not too and she aims the gun at his head and then he has no choice, he says the same thing when its Michael's turn, Sawyer gets a rock thrown at him for his cheek. Then as Sawyer refuses to climb out, he gets the top closed on him, only for it to be opened later and him to climb out willingly.

Sayid and Jack explore the underside of the bunker, trying to find a way round the thick concrete ways but there is no way, he mentions to Jack that the only time he has heard about concrete being poured so thickly was after Chenobyll. But they still explore the different bits and pieces along the way.

Jack puts Hurley in charge of the food storage, but he doesnt really want to knowing that it will cause many problems and be the result that all will hate him in the process. He flashes back to the day that he quit his job, as did his work buddy, them hanging out for the day, then the look on his friends face when it was discovered that it was Hurley that was the mega lottery winner.

Jin, Michael and Sawyer are taken by the others to where the rear-end survivors are camped, there was 23 of them, but when they get there they discover that there is alot less than this number, they also are in some sort of underground bunker complex, or maybe the pipeways of the other bunker, we will see on that score.

Charlie finds out the truth by following Locke and getting him to tell him, then he accusses Hurley of being one of them, after Hurley said that he couldn't get a jar of peanut butter for him, even Claire. Because, that what will start all the troubles and cause everyone to hate him.

He leads Rose to the bunker, as she has been doing the washing by hand, perhaps in the vain hope that there will be a super-sized washer and dryer, or maybe as she is one to keep her business private. Hurley later decides that as he can't please everyone and that he doesn't want to be hated, that he would blow up all the food using one stick of dynamite!!! Rose talks him out of it, then Hurley has a talk with Jack and tells him it is the only way, then we see that the only way is to give out all the food in one go, let people eat it all, so there is no way of playing favourites. Of course he gives Charlie a jar of peanut butter.
  • a nice limelight on one of my favourite characters.

i really loved this episode. hurley is one of my favourite characters and it was nice to find more about his past. it shows how very good-natured and thoughtful he is and why, despite the title's suggestion, everybody just loves him and why he has earned a lot of respect among his fellow survivors. i'm happy that the writes don't make hurley a laughingstock (even though he's adding quite some comical moments to the show now and then, especially when he is interacting with charlie, the two of them sometimes remind me of laurel and hardy) but such a lovable character.
  • Hugo has the authority to decide what to do with the supplies in the Hatch.

Poor Hugo has to decide who gets what supplies from the hatch. He thinks that people will get mad at him because of the decisions he makes. He doesn't want to. Even threatens to blow up the hatch. He ends up passing out some supplies. He needs to be a little braver considering the situation they are in at the moment. Jack supports his decision when he finally chooses to pass out some of the things in the hatch. The fact that the black woman, can't remember her name's husband is still alive like she was convinced he was when he was in the tail section of the airplane which broke off in midflight, tells us something. The island must be at least somewhat large for them not to have seen the other side of the island.
  • Charlie: (To Hurley) Are you gonna lie to me? Are you gonna lie to the baby?

Hurley has difficulty with being put in charge of the hatch's supplies. Michael, Sawyer, and Jin learn that their captors are the survivors from the tail-section of Oceanic Flight 815. They take Michael, Sawyer, and Jin to an abandoned DHARMA station, called the Arrow. Hurley remembers when he won the lottery. After the first three episodes of the second season we find ourselves with a much calmer episode but its not bad because everybody loves hugo's episodes.
    I really enjoyed seeing Sawyer get hurt by a girl because it was quiet funny but I also liked seeing more new characters The Tailies Ana Lucia, Libby and Mr Eko.
  • Hurley has to eat

I love Hurley. How can anybody hate him? We all know that Hurley is a big guy, so therefore he can be easily tempted by food. i weight all of 115lb and its a constant struggle for me not to eat everything in sight. At the end Hurley makes the hard decision of sharing the food with the other survivors despite his fears of the outcome. in the jungle we learn that the capturers were not the others but survivors from the tail end of the plane. I think the highlight of this episode was when we find out that Bernard, Rose's husband is still alive and there is still hope that they will reunite again. What a happy ending.
  • Everybody loves Hurley

This episode is a great episode, I love all the episodes that have to do with Hurley, because it's like a carefree mellow guy who is unknown to the other survivers and has a whole bunch of problems and issues, but does not show it towards the other castaways.

I also like this episode because its kind of like a classic season one episode with problems towards different things that are not or barely related, but through out most of season 2 its mostly focused on one problem, which I don't mind, but i had prefered season 1.

Although there wasn't a whole lot of action or adventure in this episode it is still a classic, especially with Bernard and his recent information that Rose is alive.

Sawyer: You hit me again... I'll kill you.

LOST
  • hurley struggles with the task jack gives him because he thinks it will make people hate him.

great episode....again. the best parts of this episode where: hurley quits his job when randy is giving him a hard time, the part where rose sees the hatch and the part where hurley is giving out all the food. another connection between locke and hurley is seen in this episode becuase randy was also lockes back at the box company. lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great lost is great!
  • Silly in a good way.

I liked it because Hurley is my fourth favourite character (after Charlie and Claire being tied for third) and the dream in the hatch was hilarious. So was the "Cluck You" in the flashback. I was laughing the whole time (except when Johnny found out) and I liked the song at the beginning of the episode. I'm not sure if people noticed this but, on the milk carton, there's a missing picture of Walt and Jin has a cut on his cheek from being attacked by the tailies when they found him and tied him up. I HATE Ana Lucia so much!
  • Clucking Awesome!

Right from the get go you know this is going to be an awesome episode. Hurley is a character of genius and has evolved so much from the "loveable fat dude" he could have easily been.

Everybody Hates Hugo sees Sawyer, Michael and Jin learning the true identities of their captors and Hurley planning on blowing up all the food in the hatch. In flashback, we see the immediate aftermath of Hurley's lottery win.

The flashback scenes are at the emotional core of the episode, with Hurley's best friend Johnny left feeling hurt and betrayed when he discovers that Hurley never told him about his lottery win and inadvertently caused Johnny to quit his job. DJ Qualls gives an excellent performance as Hurley's closest buddy and the scenes featuring the revenge they pull on their old boss is hilarious. The words "cluck you" spelt out in gnomes on his front porch is an awesome sight to behold...

Rose returns in this episode and she has been sorely missed. L Scott Caldwell gives such an underrated performance and it's excellent to see her back. Her newfound friendship with Hurley and her determination to believe that her husband is alive form the backbone of the story and the closing moments reveal that she was right all along. Bernard is alive and living on the other side of the island.

The revelation that Ana-Lucia and co. are the survivors from the tail-end of the plane is a shock and we are properly introduced to two new regulars, the mysterious Mr Eko (played by Harold Perrineau's former Oz castmate Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) and Libby. Also there is Bernard, Rose's husband, and flight attendant Cindy from the pilot episode. The revelation that The Others murdered almost there entire group is terrifying to imagine...

The dream sequence which starts the episode is excellent. With the hot food, the chicken outfit, the "Walt missing" sticker on the milk carton and (shock horror!) Jin speaking English, it's the most surreal Lost moment so far.

This is an excellent episode and continues to prove that season two is going from strength to strength.
  • Great Episode, good flashbacks, interesting piece of the story of the other survivors. Can't wait to here more about them.

I really liked seeing more about hurley. Everyone knows he's the funny guy but he is also an interesting charachter. Sayid is also back to being useful and i was affraid that it would take forever wit the other survivors but it seems they will go to the other side of the island next episode. I think this episode is a great set up for big things to come.
< 1 2 3 4