Lost

Everybody Loves Hugo

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 13, 2010 on ABC

• Exactly, who doesn't love Hurley ?

Let's start with the good : for a long-time fan, witnessing Hurley and Libby finally having their date together was a great moment. Well, maybe not on the scale of 815 landing in LAX, but a great one anyway. The flash-sideways universe, continuing last week's trend, seems to make more and more sense, with Desmond, as always, as the wild card. But on the island, characters seem to be a little ... lost ( pun not intended ) . Locke doesn't seem to know what to do, neither does Richard, Jack doesn't care, everyone is wandering in the jungle or "waiting" (for the finale ?), as Locke phrases it. Ilana dies for no apparent reason ( "The island is done with her", what kind of lame excuse is that for writing a character out ? even Michael was blown up with more dignity and meaning ! ) All in all, I was very surprised to find the flash-sideways more enjoyable than the main story this week ! So a little letdown from the writers, despite the long overdue explanation of the Whispers, but the Hurley scenes prevent the episode from being plain bad.
  • A seam finally shows

As expected, with the final leg of the "Lost" journey now in full swing, there is a greater emphasis on bringing the "Lost X" timeline into context with the "Lost Prime" timeline. And back on the island, the pieces are finally moving into place. It's hard to imagine that there are only six more hours of "Lost" left, and really only five more episodes.

There's still a lot to cover, and therein lies a bit of the frustration fans will no doubt have with this episode. In both timelines, the action remains at a bit of a crawl. Perhaps this is because the endgame has been more or less in place since the beginning of the season. Jacob's rival has been making moves to get off the island, and Jacob's followers have tried to stop him. It's been a process of maneuvering, and while that is a necessary evil, it can test the patience of the audience.

As nearly everyone expected, Libby's return is in the "Lost X" timeline, and it sheds no new light on her mysterious past. While it's true that the producers have adamantly said that Libby's story had a lot more to it, and that it was important to the overall tale, it now appears that will never be revealed. And frankly, that's all right. Looking back, there's enough information to see how Libby was working for Widmore to get Desmond to the island. Not much more needs to be revealed about it.

Hugo and Libby, however, are part of the tapestry being formed in the "Lost X" timeline, and now Desmond is purposefully taking steps to push the passengers of Oceanic 815 to remember their time on the island. What's interesting to note is that the flashes to the "Lost Prime" timeline are all from moment well past the 2004 period in question in the "Lost X" segments.

Some take this as evidence that "Lost X" is, in fact, all meant to be a consequence of what happens in the "Lost Prime" timeline in the series finale, and has been an inventive means of overlapping the denouement with the climax. While this is still a possibly, it doesn't track with the many confirmations from the writers and producers that the "Lost X" timeline was a consequence of "the Incident".

However it is explained (and clearly it is going to be a big part of the finale), it now seems clear that moments of extreme transition are required to push the passengers into remembering their "Lost Prime" lives. And it doesn't seem to matter if they are alive or dead in the "Lost Prime" timeline; they remember the connections that they made. Love and near-death appear to be the most potent triggers.

But it also seems odd that Desmond is not trying to bring the passengers together. He's just trying to facilitate the process of connecting them to their other selves. One would think that getting the answer to the riddle of their true existence, whatever they may be, would only be helped by bringing them together. It certainly seemed as though that was the direction the "Lost X" segments were taking before Desmond's moment of clarity.

In terms of the "Lost Prime" timeline, there didn't seem to be a lot of movement in the plot, though by the end, Jacob's rival has all the remaining Candidates firmly in his camp. It even seems as though he knew that it would happen, despite being distracted by Desmond's arrival. There were a number of subtle moments throughout that scene, and they could be significant.

For example, Hurley is the first one of the Candidates to speak to Jacob's rival first. Jacob's rival also hands Hurley his knife, which could be a sign of foreshadowing. Hurley could be the one to kill Jacob's rival in his current form, forcing him back into his imprisoned state. Whether or not that would make him Jacob's actual replacement is a different story; this move towards a state of leadership fits the theory that Hurley is destined to become the eventual leader of the "New Others".

Hurley's unique ability to speak with the dead is, through Michael, linked to the notion that the "whispers", a feature of the series since the very beginning, are actually the voices of the souls trapped on the island. For them, the island is a kind of purgatory, which will no doubt thrill those who put that theory forward early in the first season. But it also doesn't quite track.

It's true that many of the "whispers", when analyzed and broken down, could be interpreted as something of a spectral Greek chorus, constantly commenting on events. However, not all the voices have been from people on the island. In "Outlaws", for example, Frank Duckett (killed by Sawyer in Australia) is clearly heard, taunting Sawyer. How would Frank have become part of the collection of souls on the island? And going back to the beginning, the "whispers" were often heard in conjunction with the Others and with Jacob's rival in his "smoke monster" form.

A more recent contrary example from "Ab Aeterno" would be Isabella, Richard's wife. Hurley was able to see her on the island, but she didn't die there. Jacob's rival simply took her form as a means of manipulating him. And there's no indication at all that Isabella had done anything wrong to require spiritual penance on the island. So that doesn't quite add up, either.

One final wild card in the "whisper" gallery is Walt. In the early second season, Walt kept appearing to Shannon in conjunction with the "whispers", and that led to her death, in a moment that has always felt like it was engineered by Jacob's rival. Similarly, Walt's appearance to Locke in "Through the Looking Glass" now fits perfectly into the notion that Jacob's rival was manipulating Locke towards his eventual role all along. Walt's unusual nature was never explained, and probably never will be, so it's hard to say it's a contradiction. (Unlike Libby, the lack of explanations regarding Walt and Aaron will be disappointing.)

The point is that Michael's explanation to Hurley, that the "whispers" are the spirits of souls trapped on the island for wrongdoing, doesn't quite add up given what has been shown previously. Especially since Hurley has seen dead people off the island, and people who were never connected to the island (like "Dave")! So it could be that the situation is a little bit more complicated, and Michael is only speaking from his limited point of view. Or Michael could be working, in some sense, with Jacob's rival, since Michael's advice prompts nearly all of Hurley's decisions in this episode. But it's very clear that Michael's explanation is less than satisfying, when taken in the full context of the past six seasons. Perhaps the producers will shed some light on this.

Otherwise, the pieces continue to fall into place. Her role fulfilled, Ilana pulled an Arzt. It was entirely inevitable, the way she was tossing the dynamite around, but it was rather interesting to note that it only exploded once she was safely out of the range of any Candidates! That also implies that Ben and Miles might want to keep their heads down, since only Richard is immortal in that little demolition squad.

Desmond continues to be very important, and it seems as though Jacob's rival knows it. And so tossing him into the bottom of a wall, where an electromagnetic anomaly is likely located, may be an odd choice. After all, if the theory regarding Widmore's plot offering the review for "Happily Ever After" holds any water, then Desmond is now potentially in just the right spot!

Overall, this episode was probably one of the weakest of the final season, particularly due to a dissatisfying and contradictory explanation for one of the series' longest-running mysteries. But this was a transitional episode, more than anything, and there may be more to the story than meets the eye. But for now, this episode brings this soaring season back to earth.
  • Ever wonder what the hell were you watching, and why? Well that's how felt after I watched this one

So it seems that people in the alt verse are starting to get their memories back of their lives on the Island. Libby and Hugo go on a date, kiss and remember as did Desmond and Charlie. It's like the only interesting thing happening on Lost so far.

On the other side, Jacob's followers have decided to blow up the plane but that doesn't quite work out. First Ilana blows herself up, and they head to the Black rock for more Hugo turns the ship into charred rock because the ghost of Michael (turns out him and the ghosts of many of the others are stuck in limbo on the island for some reason) told him not to. Hugo instead leads Jack, Sun, and the pilot to Smokey's camp of all places. Normally Jack puts a hell of an argument anytime he's told to do something but as crazy it sounds he opted to put his faith in Hugo instead.

Sayeed brings Desmond to see Smokey who after taking him on a moonlight stroll through the woods throws Desmond in an electromagnetic well. Puff….just like that, and that is all that happened of consequence on the Island. For a cliff hanger, alt Desmond runs over wheelchair bound Locke with his car. I have one word for that, retarded!

For a show that has built itself on mysteries suspense, and now that it's coming to end, you would think they would start answering all those questions you know? One obvious answer divulged (if you haven't figured it out yet) is that leaving the island will only be possible if it's done by everybody, together. They came together, they leave together.
  • Yes - we do love Hugo.

Another enjoyable episode here where Hurley is brought to the core of the show. I liked the flash sideways with Hurley meeting with Libby and them having that date they never had, that was sweet. Plus we see the connection between the island this universe again. I really like Hugo - he's a funny and quite light-hearted character.

The island stuff wasn't as interesting but I enjoyed it all the same. I was surprised to see that woman killed by the dynamite...and then Hurley destroying the rest of it. Desmond runs over Locke in the sideways universe and is pushed down a well by him on the island...crazy stuff.

The end made things interesting as the camps merge. Enjoyable episode which still leaves me totally baffled as to hat this show is (now) about.
  • This is not exactly what I expect from this show ! I'm not saying it was bad, but it could be a lot better than this. Comparing to previous seasons most episodes in this season are quite slow. maybe they are planing for a blast in the end !

It was quite slow and almost continued the same story that we already had in previous episodes. it's really good to finally know what the whispers are, but they could put more interesting stuff and answer more questions from the past in the middle of season finale. I think the writers are trying to bring down the expectations from the show and come up with some answers in final episodes in order to make people somewhat satisfied with they show, this way the show ends and we will all have a good memory of how it ended, forgetting the fact that many questions remained unanswered ! I'm not trying to say it is not good, but I could be a lot better than this. In general, comparing to previous seasons this season is quite slow.
  • A few whimpers and a couple of big bangs.

A Hurley episode with some more odds and ends happenings on the island and back in the sideways LA. Hugo is subdued here and looking for the love of his life, the universes come a little closer. Sideways Desmond is up to something and island Desmond is devil may care. The Jacobites reach a breaking point and by the end the original survivors are all, save one, at least in the same campground. Can that crash landed plane on the Hydra Island really takeoff? As with some of the recent episodes a couple more old characters return for their curtain calls. As an entirety this episode did lack some zip and seemed too much like a "we need a Hurley episode, what can we do?" effort, although there were a couple of stunners.
  • As the show nears its conclusion the story in both timelines moves forward significantly here.

I was expecting more of a character driven slower paced episode this week, as more often than not that's what you get from a Hurley episode. However this episode really moved the story forward in both universes, but was it all entertaining?

The episode stared well with a very familiar voice introducing Hurley. That we got no more information about Dr. Chang than seeing him in the opening was a little annoying, but was still a cool introduction. So for all that Hurley now thinks he's blessed not cursed, it turns out he hasn't had any luck in love. His mother trying to set him up is a fairly common plot point, but Lost manages to have its own great spin on it.

The return of Libby was great, and her and Hurley were as adorable on screen together as they had been in season 2. While we didn't get any solid answers about Libby's backstory from the original timeline, we did get a bit of closure between her and Hurley. As far as this week's walk down memory lane went we saw the Santa Rosa Doctor from season 2 again as well as the hospital itself again. It was very cool and all worked well for the story too.

On the island things were heating up as Illana and co began their plan to blow up the plane. Illana's complete disregard for handling the dynamite was a bit unnerving, but I guess she believed that she couldn't kill herself the same way Richard couldn't. Of course she was very wrong. It was probably the weakest death for a main character on the show and it seemed that they just wanted to write her out. There are only about six episodes left so I'm guessing this was the writing team admitting that Illana maybe shouldn't have been upped to a series regular. Her death had a slight feel of Nikki and Paulo to it as they wrote her out without ever really expanding her character. I'm not sad to see her go, but it's annoying that they couldn't do more with her character.

And from one character who died in an explosion to another. Michael returned which was a bit of a surprise considering the actor didn't leave the show on the best terms with the crew as far as I was aware. Harold Perrineau wasn't quite at his best here, but I guess all he really had to do was give exposition and he did it fine. He also led us to an answer for one of the oldest mysteries: the whispers. Considering we always hear them when the Others are around the explanation about coming from the dead didn't really fit. It makes enough sense, but I wish they could've thought of something better. Still any answer is better than none and there are quite a few to get through.

On Locke's side of the island he had to deal with the return of Desmond. How Des didn't see Locke throwing him down that well coming I'll never know, but I think it's fair to say the superb Scotsman will survive. They may have semi-randomly killed one main character this week, but they wouldn't bring back Des just to kill him two episodes later, would they? And despite being billed as a Hurley episode Desmond seemed to hijack it by having a few flash-sideways scenes of his own. The way the transition was done between the two was very well handled. Mainly as it was a superb scene between Hurley and Libby that led into the reveal that Desmond hadn't ran into Hurley by chance (as if there was any doubt). The kiss between Hurley and Libby was great and combined with Hurley's glimpse of the island reality made for a superb moment. It also answers why Daniel could remember the island by just seeing Charlotte, but Sawyer didn't when he saw Kate.

It's great to see the payoff for last week's episode begin so soon after that, but I feel Hurley deserved a full episode to himself. I suppose this is the problem with only having 16 episodes, with a full 22 each character could get more of the screen time they deserve. Of course the upside of having a dual-centric episode is the faster pacing, which is almost always something I'm a fan of! The final scene where Desmond ran over Locke was incredibly shocking. Is there more to it than simply Desmond trying to make Locke remember the island? It was a very brutal moment, especially when Locke's head clearly cracked against the windscreen.

So it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I guess part of the fun of Lost is that it keeps you on your toes! It certainly wasn't perfect and they seem to have broken a couple of thematic rules (Desmond getting two episodes in a row). However the plot moving forward in a big way was great. Plus everything Hurley says is brilliant. The humour and innocence Jorge Garcia brings to the character is superb and him taking charge worked while feeling true to the character. Plus we all love explosions! And nothing says "final season" like blowing up a landmark that's been on the show longer than half the cast!
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Empathic Hurley, inspiring Jack, puzzling incident, captivating Desmond quest but love mumbo jumbo

It's a bird ! It's a plane ! No, it's Hurley ! Everybody Hated Hugo in the fourth episode of season 2 but Lost's comic relief number one character quickly proved himself as a valuable asset. His lack of confidence reminds us that we all have issues but thanks to his friends he managed to become a better man, a greater man. Thanks to his ability he can talk to dead people like Jacob and in season 6 he became the archetype of the antileader. His profile is so refreshing because it dramatically contrasts with Jack and Locke. The first embraced faith in Follow the Leader and we all know what happened to the second. In this installment it was quite inspiring to see how much Jack has changed since Juliet died. I really enjoyed his few scenes with Hugo because they allowed these characters to grow on us even more. Moreover an incident coming from nowhere sliced the island arc once more so following all these leaders is definitely captivating. However the urban arc didn't convince me at all because I don't really dig the whole love mumbo jumbo introduced in Happily Ever After. But as expected the enlightenment of this episode was Desmond. He could only come back and become a recurring character. After Sayid captured him I couldn't help picturing them in a Celebrity Deathmatch episode. Desmond really acted like a happy zombie on the island. That's why I highly anticipated his inevitable encounter with Black Locke, the white dove against the darkness. As for Desmond of the city I was very intrigued by his new quest considering he asked his driver for the passengers list. Its development was even better than I hoped and should really puzzle you. As for the cliffhanger it was just mind blowing !
  • Hurley episode

A Hurley episode does not sound promising, especially when you do not even have Cheech Marin's unintentionally hilarious acting, but tonight's episode was okay. Not because of Hugo's scenes, but rather the Desmond ones. For anyone who doubted that Desmond was important to this show, they were proven wrong tonight as he was thrown down the "well of answers" and then ran down Locke in the alternate universe. He is clearly a big part of the answers to this island and hopefully we get a few of those in the coming and final weeks. I think they should just stop the flashbacks. It is clear Damon and Carlton do not have their hearts in it anymore as the present day island stuff is always more interesting than them.
  • Old well trick..

I most say, this episode had quite a lot irony.. I mean.. the whole thing with dynamite. Last thing you expected that moment was boom. Them another boom. They just kept coming.

And when that was not surprising enough.. Locke made them even more. It looked like nice pack in the end of last episode but no.. Sayid tied Desmond up.. and then Locke throw him into well.. It was great scene but.. And the off-island storyline was great too. The whole Libby-Hugo thing.. but more the ending.. Is Desmond trying to put everyone near death situation after his revelations? Anyway.. I am eager to see what happens
  • If we stopped waiting for episodes with "all" the answers and just sat and watched...

People seem to want answers these last few remaining weeks of the greatest show to ever air on TV. I read some reviews where people aren't happy. Everybody Loves Hugo was a spectacular episode. The moment Hugo and Libby kiss, and memories flash back.. OMG! Goosebumps and shivers down my spine. I was literally screaming in joy and amazement. We waited so long for these two to reunite in some shape or form. I always wondered why Libby didn't come see Hurley after she died. I'm not going to break down the episode just give some thoughts, considering you can read plenty other reviews if you want the whole ep' story. But I really, really enjoyed this episode. Starting from Chang giving the award to Hugo, do Desmond running over Locke, which I feel he did to get his memories into gear seing as though they usually see their "other life" with near death experiences. Either way, this episode was absolutely awesome. And yes... We finally got the answer to what the "whispers" were. Can't wait til next week, hope they continue the Locke/sideways story because I'd love to see what he does when he remembers. OMG!
  • All in All this was a Satisfying and informative episode that definately left us wanting more! The end of Lost is really coming together now and I know we're not ready for what lies ahead......**spoilers ahead***

Hurley episodes are always very touching, and light hearted, but none has been as informative and shocking as this one. "Everybody loves hugo" wasn't as stellar as let's say "Ab Aeterno" and "Happily ever after" (those were definate 10's) but gave us some great lost moments to cherish. FLocke throwing Des down the well on the island, to be followed by Des running down Locke (i couldn't breathe at that moment..literally!) in the sideways universe was intense!! Hurley and Libby's moments together (long awaited) and how they too are getting reminders of the island was just simply beautiful... We got to see most of our favorite characters (after a week that only aired 6 or 7 main cast) and things are really starting to get together. Jack face to face with the Man-in-Black, Alpert-Ben-MIles taking off on their own, and Widmore and the people on the sub all have their factions ready (Jin included), and it's just moments away from all hell breaking loose! I swear these next 4 episodes coming up better be finale quality, and i have no doubt that the finale itself(tear drops down cheek) will be the best television moment of the millenium thus far,lets bring on "The Last Recruit"
  • It's true everyone does.....

I was eager to watch this episode, Hurley has been my favourite character since the beginning. He has so much depth and the question of whether he is crazy or does hear the voices has always intrigued me. I was disappointed that Libby and him never got the chance to be together and in a way I thought that since he is not the prettiest character that this meant he was just destined to end up alone. As is often the case on American TV the pretty people get happiness and the fat guy has to be the comic relief. Putting him together with Libby reversed this stereotype for a while then she was killed, a moment that's up there with Charlie dying in the list of great Lost 'Nooooooooooo' moments.

This episode was hands down the sweetist one, possibly in the whole run. Hurley is happy in the flash-sideways and no longer plagued by the lottery numbers that caused him so much grief, he is not mentally ill not on the island and Libby is alive. Too often the focus is just on getting answers, well this episode had those but I cared much less about them than Hurley's sideways life. And in the end the whispers being people trapped on the island is hardly ground breaking stuff, it's everything else that made this week so good. For 6 years we have watched Jack try to lead and finally he's realising that he needs to let go, and even though Jacob didn't tell Hurley what to do I believe that this visit to Locke must be the correct thing to do. Something has happened with Desmond, last week he was zapped with electricity this must have created some link between the 2 realities shown. In the sideways reality he tried to kill Locke, which must be important since he had to die in the normal reality too. And then in the normal reality he took an almost buddhist approach to the smoke monster that everyone else is scared off. This is not the last we have seen of Desmond in either reality and I think him and Daniel are the 2 key characters as we move towards the end.

Ultimately I stick to my long held position that anyone waiting for the answers to be spoonfed to them is going to miss all the rest of the story. Many things from previous series can be worked out if you just sit and think about them, everything else is slowly being revealed.
    In conclusion another great episode, which will personally be one of my favourites because Hurley is such a great character.

Have faith in Lost!!
  • A Vintage Episode of LOST

Man the writers are really honkering down now on what has been, to me, the only uneven thing of the season: plot. What ensues in this episode is a full bag of good writing, questions, answers, character-development, and several shocking moments.

Those reasons above are the main reasons I really love this show and for the 4th or 5th episode this season (including The Substitute, Lighthouse, Ab Aeterno, and Happily Ever After), we got all of them in one hour. I don't know about most LOST fans, but this has been a really successful season to me thus far and it will only get better. The only thing I would have had to toughly critique the writers on is the uneveness of the plot. There have been moments where the plot seemed like it would be in full gear and others where it felt like it was totally slowing down and I believe the main reason for this is the intricate handling of the flash sideways stories. The writers have taken greater care of these stories than most people think and the main sign of this is that the overall plot development and flow has had to be compromised at times so the relevence of the flash sideways could be fully realized. Now I hope everyone has their seatbelts on because starting last night, LOST is in full throttle toward the end game. Expect answers, plot development, and great character moments in the next four weeks as we prepare for the mega finale event that I believe will be awesome!!

Now a few more thoughts on last night's episode: "Everybody Loves Hugo". This had to be the best sideways story yet besides last week's "Happily Ever After" becuase it not only had a good story, nostalgic moments, and plot development, but also because of the intrigue. Desmond's mission is now in full swing and it started with making sure that Hugo received his revelatory moment with old island timeline girlfriend Libby (who I was so glad to see return to the show last night!). It ended with Desmond knocking flash sideways Locke to high heaven with his car, which it is my thought that he did this either to jolt Locke's island timeline memory or to make sure that Locke isn't used for bad again. But I really think it is more the former than the latter. I have seen some reveiews where people are pondering if Desmond, now fully conscious of both timelines was seeking revenge of Locke and I would have to disagree. Desmond is at a point in his character arc where he is beyond all petty things such as anger, fear, and revenge. He now only wants to fufill his purpose. Also, great job by the writers who smoothly yet quickly moved the island plot foward as we saw the shocking Ilana death moment, the blowing up of the Black Rock by Hurley who I cant believe that no one saw through his lies before Richard did at the destroyed Black Rock, and now we have both sides, besides Widemore's group all in one setting. We also saw a very important and fascinating moment last night when the MIB takes Desmond to the well and tries to persuade him to come over to his side and he uses answers as his angle. This is the first time I have ever seen the MIB at a loss for angles. With every other character if he had not persuaded them to join them, he at least instilled fear in them, but with Desmond he could do neither. This ultimately scared him, and had to use his trump card which was to get rid of Desmond for the time being by throwing him into the well. Overall, great episode with a major answer of the whispers in the jungle, even though it may have been a little sloppily handled. And prepare for what I believe will be a monumentous episode of LOST next week (why else would we have a two week break after that episode; LOST just loves leaving us dangling for more) and I've heard it might be a Jack-Centric episode.
  • Boy in the jungle. Stay away from him!

I don't think I have a prop I love more on this show than dynamite. I was starting to like the Ilana character, but I can't say I'll miss her. Now she joins the illustrious company of Leslie Arzt in the 'coolest death possible' club. They get a membership card and a cool pen.

I loved this episode. Hurley is another one of those characters who's flashbacks haven't been of particular interest to me, but this week, Everybody Loves Hugo does for me what all my favorite Lost episodes do: delivers tension and intrigue and slips in a really poignant scene to come away with basically a complete package that utilizes the whole cast. This felt like the type of episode we get right before the 2-hour finale. The characters are set on very clearly defined goals, that sometimes, (and in this case WILL) inevitably be in conflict with another character's big objective.

Alterna-Hurley is basically Bruce Wayne-ing it up with his Chicken empire and his philanthropy projects and charitable donations. The only problem in that Bruce Wayne comparison? Hot chicks. Hurley is a train wreck in the ladies department. Mama Reyes (loved her again) sets Hugo on a blind date- who stands him up, but that leads to a really cool scene with... Libby! I confess, I was likely pre-programmed to love this episode before hand because I knew we'd be getting The Great Libby Explanation this week. Did we actually get that answer? It depends on what your question was. I wasn't one of the "How did Libby end up in the nut house?" people. The answer was obvious: Because she's nuts. My question was "Will Hurley ever find out?" and to my delight, was got the answer in spades. (As to why or how Libby claimed to be a shrink? That one may be left to the ages. Perhaps she was just lying?)

Anyway, Libs told Hurls that she "knew" him, seemingly from another life- cue Desmond! His role seems more clear as a sort of shepherd for characters between the two worlds, but where all this is ultimately leading is still do be determined. determined. Newly enlightened Des urged Hugo to investigate Libby's curious claim, and in no time, Hurley was back at Santa Rosa mental. His scenes with Libby here and at the beach (nice cleavage) are the best they've ever shared together. Jorge has come a long way from eliciting more than just laughs at his mere presence. At least from me. Libby kissed Hurley on the picnic they were never supposed to always have, and like last week, it triggered his island memories! "Woah...Dude...!"
    Unlike most viewers, I've mostly loved these "sideways" stories from the start, and would be perfectly happy if they kept going, even without a clear island connection. But now that they are intertwining, it's becoming even more interesting. On the island, a (refreshingly) relaxed Desmond sees no point in being afraid anymore. There was a lot to read from Fake Locke this week. I've noticed moments of hesitation from him when answering people's questions. As if to imply he's thinking of just the right thing to say; In his conversation with Kate about how the 06 needed to be together to come back and they need to be together to leave. When he asked Desmond, "Do you know who I am?" Des said, "John Locke." Then, a telling reaction. What is he thinking?! Damn you O'Quinn! lol
    I'm loving New Desmond, but Smokey is getting frustrated. "Why aren't you scared?" Throw someone down a well. Scared now? Awesome.

Also, just want to add: Loving New Sayid. Less like a zombie this week and more like an emotionless machine. He's like Smokey's assassin-bot. A terminator. Over in the Heroes camp (I've been watching Survivor)its weird to see the people behaving so leaderless. Especially with Jack right there! He had my second favorite scene of the night in his moment with Hurley about trust. Loving New Jack. And New Hurley himself, who stepped up in somewhat of a leadership position. He made a great move destroying the ship (Lost without The Black Rock? This show really is coming to an end!) and his confrontation with Man in Black was perfect. "Um...Hey" Richard (all panicky again) is still going to figure some way to stop that chopper and keep MiB from escaping. Miles is going with him. And New Ben. That leaves the Candidates to follow Hurley, and yes, except for Jin with Whidmore, they've all been reunited. The big mystery answered was by Ghost Michael (whoop whoop!) and his revelation on what the whispers are: Lost souls who can't leave the island. Hmm. Kinda anti-climatic, I know. It's funny, this was such a big deal earlier on, but I think most people didn't really care about that one anymore. I didn't. But still- major mystery solved. Its cool. Funny though, since that was one of the original theories anyway.
    It was sad, too, because this is Michael's fate, and he had such a sorrowful face. Poor guy. A great episode through and through. You can't go wrong with running over someone in a wheelchair! In the last Other-verse note, Desmond totally took a hit out on handicap Locke after school, but not before Dr Linus could insinuate that Des was creepily spying on kids. All of this was awesome. Especially telling was Desmond's responses to Ben's questions. Looking for a school for his son Charlie. Who doesn't exist in that reality, but does in the other! Does this mean he is fully aware of his consciousness in both worlds? Will his sacrifice that Widmore asked mean giving up Penny and lil Charlie in one life, in hopes of being reunited with them in Sideways? Why did he try to kill that Locke? Still evil? Petty revenge? As I said, a great episode through and through. One of the best of the season.
  • Whispers to a scream.

From the date Hurley and Libby never had to Ilana's lethal explosion, this episode had everything you could ask for and more. As the whispers are revealed to be the voices of those who died here, still trapped for reasons yet to be disclosed, Michael pleads Hurley not to get himself killed. Ironically, this otherwise "Man of the Year" - as Dr. Chang introduces him on the flashsideways - still has a lot of convincing to do despite Ilana's shocking death after she followed the very instructions Richard gave her.

Ane yet Richard can't help himself, he has to stop the MIB or else her death would be for nothing; the embodiment of Jacob that is Hurley must lead what's left of the candidates to talk to the MIB hoping that the dead people he speaks to are right and that's what it takes to save them all, while on the other side of the island Ben follows Richard, perhaps for the last time, to a suicide mission in order to protect the island.

On the flashsideways, however, the biggest shocker occurs once the otherwise trapped inside a well, Desmond Hume, charges against John Locke as if to kill him for all of what the MIB did in his name. His fate, much like the island's, remains a mystery until the next epiosode.
  • One of my favourite episodes of the season so far.

Each week you can see these sideways stories are going to have a very important conclusion, this one was one of the best side stories yet, we saw Hurley finally have that date with Libby. Still it didn't explain why Libby was in the mental hospital at the end of "Dave". On the island we saw a divide with Jack's group, I always love the scenes where they part ways because I always know something great will be lying around the next corner, sadly we wont see what this is until next week. The Black Rock was destroyed by Hurley, sad to see this set out of the show but there are only 5 episodes left so it don't matter, I'm just always impressed by how good the ship looks. We also saw Michael return ON the island this time and he explained what the whispers where. Alot happened in the episode I haven't even mention, Desmond down the well, Desmond crashing into Locke on PURPOSE and the final scene with Jack and Locke. Awesome episode.
  • Dude ! .

Huge , what a character that can make set on you edge of the seat .

when he saw Libby for the first time i know there is something that will happened between the two and when i saw Des i know foe sure that he is up to something , now he is trying to get them all together . and when Locke met Des and Des sat hello there brother , i just opened my mouth . how the hell he so cool about it but afterwords he said " What's the point of being afraid " . so many things happened in this episode : Hugo takes control , the group divided . jack just let it go , Ellina died , Ben still strange , Locke killed Des so far . Des run over Locke , etc . Can't wait to see the next . 10/10
  • That little boy sure is giving MIB a run for his money!

Great Hurley-centric episode as always. Too many things happened this epsiode so lets break it down. Desmond is not scared. I knew that right off the bat when I saw the countenance on his face when he first saw MIB. He was just like... hey whats up man?!! And soon enough we have MIB asking him why he isn't afraid. Desmond asks him what the point is in being afraid. So he gets thrown into the well and I knew he wasn't going to die because the island simply isn't through with him yet and to die in a well was not the reason! The tension of this episode was so great between Desmond and MIB because Desmond told him off and all I could do was laugh, as well as Jack seeing flocke for the first time. The animosity is HUGE. The chances for them listening to MIB are slim to none and so who knows what MIB is going to try to do to them. The war is brewing everyone, so brace yourselves!
  • Well i don't think i'm the only one who sees this, but for me is clear

Well i don't think i'm the only one who sees this, but for me its clear
    .desmond in the alter universe is the NEW jacob who searched them to try and return the island.it was a nice episode, i think hugo is a great character.i'm guessing it will be a blast in the end.i hope we will find out how this memories occur what triggers them.i also like the new jack.it seems MIB hungers for fear :).that child who appears to MIB is the young jacob ? because i think i passed that moment.i just hope the end of this show won't make me angry.
  • Great to finally know what the whispers are! Just a quick review...

Another great episode as we move toward the finale!!! Not a ton of answers but that's what I love about getting LOST once a week! This episode follows Hurley in the alt-timeline. No bad luck for him here. But when a blind date take a weird turn, things get a little crazy. Luckily Desmondo is there to help things along. On island Richard and Ilana want to blow up the 316 plane...Sorry Ilana, give my regards to Dr. Arst!!! Great to finally know what those whispers are! Good to see Libby and Hugo finally get to have their date. Further evidence that the 2 realities are connected and 2 cliff-hangers that are sure to leave 'ya jonzin'...can't wait for next week!!!