Lost

Exodus (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 25, 2005 on ABC

• Awesome.

Rousseau leaves the Black Rock, and Arzt explodes while handling the dynamite. They encounter the monsterâ€"a cloud of black smoke. Rousseau steals Claire's baby, whom she has named Aaron. Sayid surmises that Rousseau intends to attempt an exchange of Claire's baby, for her own child with the Others. Charlie and Sayid head toward the column of black smoke and along the way, they also encounter the drug smugglers' plane, which Sayid reveals is full of heroin; Charlie takes some. When Sayid and Charlie arrive on the beach with the black smoke, there are no other people, just a pyre and Rousseau and Aaron. She returns Aaron and tells them that she overheard the Others saying that they were going after "the boy". On the raft, the crew encounters a boat. The boat's crew turns out unfriendly and demands that they hand over Walt. Sawyer is shot and Walt is taken. An explosive is thrown onto the raft, destroying it. Meanwhile, Jack, Kate, Locke, and Hurley blow open the hatch, revealing a very deep dark hole with a broken ladder. The survivors' time in the airport and boarding the plane continues to be shown through flashbacks. When Arzt dies I always jump, but I never expected it the first time I watched it that somebody would die like that.
  • An exceptional ending to an exceptional season

All of the final episodes of Lost are two hour affairs, which play very well live but naturally have to be slashed into two parts, which does lead to some real problems when it comes to the end. Furthermore, as is the case with many shows, but especially Lost, the good stuff comes mostly in the last hour when they're leading up to the cliffhanger. That said, there is still a lot of interesting character bits in 'Exodus, Part 2' that make it interesting in its own right.
    First of all, there's the fact that Claire, who has been getting more and more strung out the closer the raft has gotten to leaving, is now getting increasingly nervous about the safety of her son, who she still hasn't been able to name. She knows that the Others came for Rousseau's baby a few days after she gave birth, and given that they've already taken her once, she knows the odds are good they'll be back. This gets her strung out, which in turn has made Charlie, who has now assumed the position of Claire's protector, even more anxious. Of course, it doesn't help that his fears are proven correct, they just come from the person we should have expected unstable behavior from --- Rousseau herself. We don't actually see Rousseau's attack, but the image of Claire afterwards is really staggering. This is the moment when Claire stops being a scared girl, and becomes a mother. And its more than the fact that she's just named her child.
    Charlie and Sayed, who have had little to do with each other on the island, begin the search for the two of them. We know that Charlie is too emotional for something like this, and that Sayid, who is in many ways the most matter-of-fact, is probably being far too tolerant letting him come on this mission. But Sayid thinks that Charlie's ability can help prevent danger, which is ironic considering he leads Charlie to a mine field---- the airplane filled with heroin. We've known this was a potential problem ever since Boone and Locke found the plane, but now they've put the thing into his hands. The temptation will help lead Charlie into darkness as season 2 begins.
    Locke, Kate, Jack and Hurley go to the Black Rock to get the dynamite that they will made and transport it back --- though Arzt has decided to tag along in the insufferable schoolmaster type way that seems to be his only form of speech. The only part of his rant that isn't hysterically annoying comes when he finally points that of the forty-some castaways, we've only really met ten of them. One can imagine that some of the characters on the island are getting rather sick of being ordered around--- go to the caves, build a signal fire, protect yourself from the Others, etc. Jack and Locke might be trying to protect them, but they're not making an effort to know them, at least no by name. (The writers would try and remedy that it future seasons--- but it didn't work very well. Guess you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time.
    The scene with the nitroglycerin are suspenseful. You know the moment that Arzt insists on handling the dynamite, he's a dead ma, and certainly the writers buil it up that way, dragging the tension out as long as possible, until we think he's finally past it--- and Boom! And notice that after Arzt dies, Jack and Locke wait all of ten seconds before continuing on removing the explosives, and that Hurley considers this as just another sign of his curse. In his strange disconnected way the late Leslie Arzt was right.
    Then there's the raft itself, which has forced some unusual couplings. Michael and Sawyer, who've had nothing to do with each other on the island, find themselves in a small raft with no one to talk to but a child and a man who speaks no English. However, they're still not talking much because Michael holds the same opinion of Sawyer that he had a few days ago, and there's tension, even when he commits one of the few heroic acts and dives into the water to get the rudder after it beaks off. Furthermore, Jin ad Michael are beginning to communicate with each other well, and they seem to be forming a friendship, ironic considering how at loggerheads they were when the second raft was being built.
    The continuance of the flashbacks to the day of departure continue, and as was the case before, we don't learn a lot that's new, with one critical exception--- Jin. Something terrible happened between waiting at the airport and getting on the plane--- a man working for Sun's father came into the men's room, and told him that he would never be free of Mr. Pak. He seemed to be different to Sun because he was planning to leave before, afterwards he realized that he would never be free, and this tension followed him all the way to the island. When we see him on the raft, he looks happy and free for the first time in the series (remember he is a fisherman's son). But he has to know that any chance of discovery will lead to Paik finding out. (Ironically, by the time rescue does come, Paik will no longer be an obstacle.)

Let's start with the monster. Up until now, we have no idea whether it's physical, psychological or mechanical--- we only have a marginally better idea now--- but this is the episode where we get our first real look at it, when it runs into our hardy adventurers in the opening minutes. What we see appears to be a large controlled flow of black smoke. Furthermore, if you look directly at it, it doesn't seem to have the same power as it would normally. In 'Walkabout', Locke didn't run away when it came, and he managed to survive. But when he looks at it in this episode, there is definitely an element of fear in his expression. Did he see something in the smoke that frightened him? Hard to say, but for much of Season 2, Locke seems to be greatly diminished. He clearly thought that seeing the smoke again would demonstrate his faith, which is probably why he wanted Jack to release him when the monster has him in his clutches. He might be a man of faith, as he tells Jack in the memorable conversation they have shortly afterward, but it's going to be tested severely, and this is one of the crucial parts. Jack, of course, is still the epitome of the rational man, who dismisses Locke's talk of destiny and fate, and will continue to believe so despite the overwhelming evidence. Ironically, it is not until he leaves the island that he will come to believe what Locke is saying, but by the time he does, he will be almost too damaged to accept it.
    Rousseau will lead Sayid and Charlie on a merry chase for Aaron, but when they finally catch up with her, she surrenders willingly. The reactions of the others are interesting,--- Sayid is compassionate and forgiving; Charlie brusque and angry, calling her pathetic. However, both are so convinced of the Frenchwoman's instability that they completely dismiss what she heard in the jungle--- that the Others said that they were coming for the boy. Rousseau's information will turn out to be completely accurate, but they won't realize it until it's too late to do any good for anybody.
    It is also interesting to notice what happens when the two men return to join the other survivors. After Charlie hands Aaron to Claire, she looks at the injuries that he has suffered with affection. Charlie doesn't notice this, however--- his attention is diverted to one of the Virgin Mary statues that he now has in his possession. Similarly, Shannon runs to Sayed with a similar look of anxiety as well as the fact that she is now safe. What she doesn't realize yet is that Walt gave Vincent to her for a reason, and she won't know it until it's too late.
    And on the raft, we see that Michael and Jin really have come full circle given what has happened at the beginning. When Michael tries to hand the watch back to Jin, Jin gives it to him. Of course, considering what we now know that it symbolizes to him, Jim probably would have dumped it on anybody, but it is a pretty effective moment nonetheless. Michael also reveals that he can't figure out why a jerk like Sawyer would risk his life on this trip, and it is an interesting question. The idea that Sawyer has something of a death wish would be consistent with some of his character. Yes, he wants to track down the man he blames for killing his parents, but I think that in a pinch, receiving the ultimate punishment that he thinks he's entitled to will do as well. The irony is, he nearly gets it.
    For after sunset, the radar they are carrying starts beeping. There is a huge amount of tension as the passengers argue whether or not to use their only fare gun. Ironically, Michael's misgivings turn out to be well-founded, and if they had let it go, rescue might have found them. But they give in, Michael fires, and the boat comes for them. The happiness that overcomes the passengers is joyful, but it doesn't last long. The Others have come for the boy-only they wanted Walt, not Aaron. What happens next is one of the more frightening moments in the series history. Nevertheless, it's somewhat diminished considering that after this episode, Walt would almost cease to be a factor in this series. Oh, it would be a critical element for Michael and a couple of other characters, but after the big buildup, it's something of an anticlimax, which may have been part of the reason the series lost favor in its second season.
    The other major project-the opening of the hatch --- also comes off, much to Hurley's dismay. Given his obsession with the numbers (to a spooky level; he's repeating them over and over as the team makes their way back to the hatch) when he finally realizes that they have been on the hatch all this time, he makes a pretty desperate attempt to stop the dynamite. But it's too late--- Locke, Jack and Kate have finally opened "the box". However, in true cliffhanger fashion we just see that it's a long ladder leading down, down, down, and we can hear some kind of mechanical throbbing that we have heard before, before the scene fades to black.
    This is a hell of a way to close out what has been, for the most part, an extraordinary debut season. The best dramas are lucky if they can manage four or five interesting characters; Lost has given us nearly a dozen, and there are going to be several more in coming seasons. The writing has been top-notch; the acting superb, and the level of mystery better than almost any other series that has tried to call itself mythology.(I'm looking at you, X-Files!) The job of the first season of a show like Lost is to lay out a series of mysteries, which they have done. Now comes the harder part; showing us how deep the rabbit hole goes. The answers start with Season 2
    My score:10
  • Character Development First Conclusion!!!!!!!

This episode had a little of everything needed to a Centric - Character episode.

If you expected some revelations because this is the season finale, than probably you will hate this episode, because the mysteries are all for the long run and not about creating in every season new mysteries and than in the end resolve them.

Continuing, someone dies and of course is very easy to guess who. Jin flashback impressed me, since we have a revelation, poor Jin, after this, you can understand better his atitudes. Equal is Michael flashback, now you can understand why walt was behaving that way to Michael before.

Someone blowing up created the necessary tension for Jack, Kate, Locke and Hurley, but the only thing that I liked, was that we finally saw what is the monster, you can´t guess until you see it. This also explain what locke did before with this "Monster". But this time, they fight this strange thing.

The revelation about the French Woman and Claire was nice too.

Charlie flashback for example show how much the character evolved. But he found something that he is supossed to find. Hurley flashback was more funny.

The interations in the Raft was nice, but nothing really special, until the near ending, with provided a great cliffhanger.

Even the Hatch continues to be a mystery, but now is open and all this give you the reason to see Season 2.

Overral, some reflection, reveling and informative flashbacks, with opportunity to see the "monster", someone blown up, nice interations, Twist, cliffhanger and a mystery, make this episode only deserve a 9.
  • Baby Away/Fate

Danielle se roba el baby de Claire sabemos luego para quedárselo ella (o para cambiarlo por su abducted hija Alex?). La balsa sigue su viaje hacia lo desconocido. Hugo, Jack, Kate, John y Arzt (pobre Arzt) van en busca de la dinamita. La acción se acrecienta, el final se aproxima. Walt... Walt es llevado por ese precario bote, qué será de Michael, de James? Qué habrá dentro de esa escotilla del demonio? Aaron is back, lucky Aaron. Charlie y la estatuita, el destino macabro. Redemption song, Bob Marley. Todo está por verse. Infinitas intrigas. Qué manera de terminar la temporada!! A revoir!
  • Whilst Sayid is getting all the people on the beach sorted out and organised, it is Jack and his crew that go exploring through the ship to find the dynamite, they find it and then take the crate outside.

Much to the disgust of the school teacher who knows dynamite and handles it and explains about it just as the dynamote blows up and stuns them all but killing the teacher. Leaving Locke and Jack to undertake the task instead.

The people on the raft see how large the island, they continue with their journey and use the devices as instructed.

Alot of the flashbacks are related to the airport departure. Sayid getting in trouble with the police for leaving his baggage unattended, even though he asked Shannon to look after it. We had Sun and Jin having a snack, Jin getting a drink spilled on him, then getting warned about his task by a whiteman speaking korean, he is aware that he is planning on leaving with his wife after the watch deliveries.

Danielle comes back to the beach asking for Sayid, Charlie runs off for him, leaving Claire and Danielle chatting, she wants to hold him, we hear a scream and discover that she has hit Kate and taken the baby. Sayid and Charlie go after her, he believes that she will try to give the baby to the others for her own. They stop to rest at where Boone and the plane fell, Charlie finds out about the heroin and has a decision to make.

The others draw short straws for the right to carry a bag of dynamite, after deciding that as the job needs 3 sticks they would take 2 sets of 3 sticks, just to be on the safe side. They get caught by the unseen security system, it grabs hold of Locke and jack insists of saving him, when he is half way down a hole, but Kate solves it by throwing down some dynamite, which stops the thing holding Locke and seems to go puff in a cloud of smoke. Later they talk through it and Locke explains that he Jack is a man of science and he is a man of faith.

We have other flashbacks of the people at the airport, Hurley oversleeping and racing to get to the airport and having bad luck all the way throught the process. We have Charlie struggling with the last piece of heroin in the room with the slapper from the night before. Locke, in a wheelchair having to be carried onto the plane.

We get to the source of the black smoke, there are no others there, there is Danielle and she does give the baby back to Sayid who passes it back to Charlie. At the same time, the dynamite is placed around the hinge of the hatch.

The raft crew get a target on their radar, they argue but eventually set off the flare, then are ecstatic that the blip comes back for them, but the boat crew just want the boy, Sawyer gets a shot off before being shot himself, Jin goes into save him and then a member of the boat crew throws an explosive device on the raft and torches it.

Charlie brings baby Aaron back to Claire, Shannon is glad that Sayid made it back, but we also see a small little statue from the drug smugglers plane in Charlies belongings.

The dynamite breaks the hinge and the hatch is able to be accessed, but to where and what ???
  • The raft leaves the island, and the other survivors on the island finally open the hatch.

Let me just start off by saying that I absolutely loved this episode, and I thought that it was very good and exciting way to end the first season. This episode sure was exciting. I can't believe that those people on that boat took Walt from the raft. This episode definitely had a lot of cliffhangers that left me really wanting to know what happens next, and that's what I loved the most about this episode. I really liked Sawyer in this episode. He was definitely the highlight of the episode for me. As a whole, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode by everyone who was involved in making it, and I like I said earlier, I can't wait to see what happens next on Lost.
  • Locke: I think that's why you and I don't see eye to eye sometimes, Jack. Because you're a man of science. Jack: Yeah. What does that make you? Locke: Me? Well, I'm a man of faith.

The survivors remember the day of the flight. Danielle kidnaps Claire's baby in hopes of making a trade with "the Others." Locke blows open the hatch as a possible shelter for the survivors. The raft party makes contact with a not-so-friendly boat crew. Well after this great first season us fans were treated with a excellent season finale with plenty of action, tension, story development and shocks, theis episode left me waiting and wanting more, oh and the last raft scene was a WTF momment. This concludes my season one review of Lost. this episode gets a well deserved 10 out of 10.
  • One of the best character driven televised episodes, ever.

If anything, this finale was brilliant. A heavily character driven/centered finale that will please fans who are looking for the amazing character interactions, stories rather than mysteries.

Because, unfortunately, as far as mysteries go, there isn't alot of answers here. The big finale-like revelations are simply not here. But still gets a 10, because it's just so epic as far as characters and adventures go.

I loved the opening. Arzt gets blown up. I didn't see that one coming. Kind of gave me the dark comedy feeling that I had while watching Numbers. This episode has one of the most meaningful dialouges ever. Every scene with Jack and Locke were absolutely incredible. Locke especially. This journey, to the Black Rock, and from the Black Rock to the hatch was literally his stairway to heaven, because his belief is that once the hatch is open - his mission is accomplished.

It's not known what he's expecting from the island. He expects hope, but what specifically, we're left unsure. But I think even he doesn't really know. He had a very good point regarding Jack. Jack is the man of science whereas Locke is the man of faith. But what I loved in this episode is that eventually they both had the same goal: blow the hatch open. As far as the raft storyline goes, it was nerve wracking. I loved the Sawyer interactions with everyone onboard. He just seemed much more human than what he used to be earlier the season, and it didn't feel out of character at all due to the masterfully done character development he's been through.

I thought the way the episode was constructed was clever. Lots of adventure, but they all led up to something. Had a movie quality to it. I loved how we followed through a day in the finale, as the episode started in the morning with Rousseau and ended around midnight.

The flashbacks are multi centric once again and they're brilliant. I liked each and every one, but I must mention Hurley's - such a cool comic relief. The cliffhangers are great. The hatch blown open but not being shown what's inside was somewhat predictable, but it to me didn't feel disappointing, because once again, this was more of a character conclusion rather than mythology.

However, the other cliffhanger definitely did shock us all, with some pirate-looking people on a motorboat kidnapping Walt off the raft, shooting Sawyer and blowing up the raft. Why do they want Walt?

Overall, epic episode, that if you watch Lost for characters will FULLY satisfy your expectations.
  • "Just give us the boy" Lost Season 1 ends on a perfect mixture of character development, mystery plot points and explosive action-adventure.

WOW! First of all I am saddened to see that many reviewers didn't like this episode. This is probably because it seemingly didn't offer many clear-cut answers. But there WERE answers, clear-cut or not. What was important is that this episode, as with Part 1, began to connect the threads that Season 1 had laid out on the table, most of them having to do with Danielle.
    Because of the high quality of writing and masterfully constructed scripts, I have to say that I have great faith that the writers know what they are doing and where the show is going. They have already given us hope in that department by bringing up plot threads from early on in the season and then regurgitating (for lack of a better word) them back up later. Nothing is left unresolved and that, for such a complex show with so many elements to it, is very commendable.
    This episode really combined all the classic trademarks of the first season and put them in one sweet package. Lack of answers should not spoil the ride that this episode give us.
    Hand-in-hand with the adventure elements are the character elements and they remain strong, but in this episode the events of the island adventure dictate how we delve into the minds of the characters, rather than their backstory or personal lives, as we are used to from the specific character episodes.
    Many of the characters discuss their ordeals on the island, rather than their own personal issues, which is thankful, as the whole season many of them have complained about their inner demons, rather than accept the outer hell they are being subjected to on the island. As Sawyer rightfully saysto Jack, "You're still back in civilization", which could also mean that they haven't left their past life back in their respected homelands. It's time to wake up!
    Sun, surprisingly, has begun to feel the significance of the crash and of the island, feeling that they are there to be punished for the secrets and lies they have.
    Sawyer also feels something, even after leaving the island. He doesn't sing Redemption Song for nothing. Maybe there's a part of him that feels sad about leaving the island, as much as he needs to get back to end his unfinished business. Locke, obviously, is someone that firmly believes in the island's power over the survivors. He believes that the island brought them all here for a purpose and that Boone was a scarifice so that they could begin to uncover the reasons why. He feels the answers lie inside the Hatch that the island has now deemed an appropriate moment to open.
    Locke's words confirm my own theory (see "Deus Ex Machina").
    Now here is an example of how the writers give us answers. This is more than a hint and it should be taken as more of a hint. This is an essential plotpoint, regardless if it is a theory that you had already interpreted. Having Locke openly the power of the island is as good an answer as you could get. And Locke is the ideal character to provide exposition and reveal secrets. The final hour of this 2-hour epic is the most exciting. It features the hilarious Hurley at the airport flashback, which contains so many instances of the Numbers, whether singurely or as the complete set.
    Hurley's flashbacks are always thoroughly entertaining and don't easily the momentum of the unfolding island narrative.
    Seeing Locke helpless in his flashback and having to suffer the shame of being carried onboard the plane. Locke certainly looked Lost at that moment. Unlike the other characters on the island, he is perhaps the only one who has "found" himself. His new self-confidence continues in this episode and nothing that Jack can throw at him will harm that conmfidence and self-belief.
    Even when the Monster attacks him, he remains unwavered, as if he should have been taken by its smokey tendril.
    Yes, we see the monster for the first time. It appears to be made out of a cloud of smoke. I believe that someone else is hidden in the cloud. Locke saw more than a cloud in "Walkabout". He saw something beautiful!
    However, beautiful it may be, the black smoke monster is creepy.
    It was great to see the Hatch opened up in such intense circumstances. The blowing up could have been more systematic and controlled than what it was, which would have not have been as interesting. Hurley's disocvery of the Numbers on the Hatch door and his screams of warning to stop the detonation really help to make the eventual explosion that much more powerful. As the screen is filled with falling debris you're left wondering whether they should have opened it after all.
    As if all that wasn't enough the subsequent scene shows the Rafties attacked by "The Others". Sawyer is shot and Jin jumps in after him, Michael is thrown into the water, Walt is kidnapped and the Raft is blown up. Many viewers may be mistaken that this is the first time that we have seen an example of who the "Others" are. We, of course had seen Ethan Rom, but this is the confirmation scene, where we know that who we are seeing are those who Danielle warns us of. It would have been too much of a chiche for the "Others" to look like a tribe that came out of King Kong. Funny, these guys look like they came out of Deliverance. Ooh, that should be interesting.
    The episode ends beautifully. There is a wonderful montage of the survivors boarding the plane, which connects some of the characters in strange ways. Locke and Jack share a smile and Hurley gives an amused Walt the thumbs up, then proceeds to take his seat and read the Comic Book that Walt was reading on the island.
    Then we have that immensely frustrating but nevertheless a powerful and perfect cliffhanging moment of the Hatch being opened and peered into. Not seeing the inside of the Hatch gives us one good reason to view Season 2.
    Overall, this was perhaps the best episode of Season 1, as it held all the ingredients of a classic episode of Lost.
    Exodus Part 2 is the showdown of what has been an awesome opening season. It may have had its missteps but even those were really only minor and added to the entire season in many great ways , even if they don't stand out on their own too well.
    An awesome end to an awesome first season.
  • I loved it!

There are various flashbacks of the people right before they got onto the plane.

Jack, Danielle, Hurley, Kate, Locke and Artz reach the ship. Danielle leaves them. They retrieve the dynamite, but Artz gets blown up by it. When Danielle shows up at the camp, Claire recognizes her scratches as she was the one who tried to hurt her baby. Danielle takes the baby, so Sayid and Charlie go after her. Locke, Jack, Kate, and Hurley meet up with the smoke monster. Locke is almost taken, but Jack and Kate throw a dynamite at it. Charlie gets injured by a trap set up by Danille. Michael, Jin, Sawyer and Walt are still afloat on the raft. They see something on their radar. Locke and the others plan to blow up the hatch, but when Hurley sees the numbers on it, he tries to stop them. On the raft, they set off a flare and a boat goes toward them. They take Walt and blow up the raft. Locke, Jack and Kate blow the hatch and look inside...

This episode was great! It ended with a cliffhanger, which I like! Very mysterious! Loved it! This episode gets a 10 out of 10!
  • part 2

The series finale was pretty long and drawn out but some good and juicy stuff happened. Okay first, Poor Arzt gets blown up, but the do get to the dynamite. Danielle appears again and then knocks out poor Claire and steals her baby. They all go running after Danielle to find Claire's baby. While on the search, Sayid find the Heroin and points it out to Charlie, unaware of his drug addiction. Charlie finds Danielle and gets the baby back, who we now know of as Aaron. Hurley sees the mysterious numbers on the side of the hatch and tried to stop Locke from trying to open it because he knows how dangerous those numbers can be. His attempt fail, the explosives goes off and the hatch is opened. Meanwhile on the raft, they spot another boat on the radar and fire off the flare. As it turns out the people on the boat are bad and the shoot Sawyer and kidnap Walt.
  • A great end to the season!

A few survivors head back to the hatch to blow it open. Rousseau kidnaps Claire's baby and runs towards the black smoke, which angers Charlie and Sayid and causes them to chase after her. The Others kidnap Walt from the raft, using a ferry, they blow up the raft and shoot Sawyer. The rest of the survivors continue to move off the beach in fear of an imminent attack. Flashbacks of other various castaways show their moments at the airport leading up to boarding the plane. One of the best quotes in the episode is when Locke talks about how fate bought them to the island:
    Locke: Do you really think all this is an accident? That we, a group of strangers, survived. Many of us with just superficial injuries. Do you think we crashed on this place by coincidence? Especially this place. We were brought here for a purpose. For a reason. All of us. Each one of us was brought here for a reason. Jack: Brought here? And who brought us here, John?
    Locke: The island
    Now this is what you call a series finale full of action, mystery and suspense many people where disappointed when we didn't find out what was down the hatch but just think of how boring the season two premiere would have been.
    I think this finale is better than the second and third season finales but it only edges it over them. Absolutely fabulous!
  • One of my favourites!

Some of the survivors head back to the hatch, intent on blowing it open. Rousseau kidnaps Claire's baby, causing Charlie and Sayid to chase after her. The Others take Walt off the raft and blow up the raft. The rest of the survivors continue to move off the beach in fear of an imminent attack. Flashbacks of other various castaways show their moments at the airport leading up to boarding the plane. Two-hour season finale. Now this is what you call a series finale full of action, mystery and suspence many people where dissapointed when we didnt find out what was down the hatch but just think of how boring the season two premire would have been.
    Ithink this finale is better than the second and third season finales but it only edges it over them. Great.
  • Great end to a great season of the best show in the world.

• "Each one of us was brought here for a reason."

Locke’s statement during the pivotal scene of the episode will be echoed throughout all of next season. While the importance of it doesn’t strike the audience yet, it soon will. This season finale is absolutely astounding. From the opening shot of Aaron’s eye to the final seconds as the camera falls down the shaft of the hatch, the viewer is swept away into one of the best pieces of television in recent years.

One of the best parts of this episode is that almost every single character has something to do. There are three separate adventures going on, and each one is terrific. I’ll start with the simplest story, and then move on to the other ones. Rousseau, thinking of getting Alex back, kidnaps Claire’s baby (christened Aaron), and runs off toward the black smoke. Charlie and Sayid desperately race across the island to stop her, and one of them faces temptation along the way. While this storyline isn’t as imperative as the other two, it pays off in one of them. The acting by Naveen Andrews, Dom Monaghan, Mira Furlan, and most of all, Emilie de Ravin, is note perfect. Claire has not had a very large role this season-she appeared in seven of the first ten episodes, if my memory is correct, and then disappeared entirely for three. Her return from the hands of Ethan and the Others sparked the exciting episode Homecoming, but Claire really only gave birth to Aaron after that. While she doesn’t actually go on the trek to retrieve the child, the scene when she tries to follow the guys is heartbreaking, and Emilie’s best performance of the season.

After assuring Claire Aaron will be fine, Sayid and Charlie dash off through the jungle to catch Danielle, and stop at the Beechcraft. After seeing Charlie’s flashback to the hotel, which featured him and a strange girl nearly getting into a physical fight over the one small packet of heroin Charlie’s got, the audience is rooting for Charlie to leave the drugs behind, and not go back to that lifestyle. Charlie fails this test, as we see him with the Virgin Mary statue at the end of the episode. The girl tells Charlie that he’s pathetic before she storms off to get more drugs, while the viewer knows that Charlie has kicked the habit and is becoming quite a good guy. When he can’t resist temptaion, though, it becomes a little harder to root for him. The sequence of Sayid cauterizing Charlie’s wound with gunpowder is pretty unsettling, and the next scene, by the fire the Others set is downright terrifying. Seriously, if you didn’t have your heart in your throat during the beginning of that scene, you aren’t alive. Aaron is retrieved, while Rousseau stammers to make excuses-“They were coming for the boy,” she says. Charlie is utterly venomous to her, which makes us lose a little more respect for him, since Danielle is clearly distraught, thinking the Others would be there. Shannon and Sayid also make up in this episode, in another pretty emotional scene. Maggie Grace does a great job in this episode, especially when she breaks down over Boone’s luggage. It’s good to see her let Sayid back in, because she clearly needs someone to help her deal with Boone’s death.

Sun has a good moment in the caves, when she wonders if fate is punishing everyone there. It echoes what Locke says later in the episode, about fate being deeply involved in the survivors’ lives. Shannon seems mildly interested in what Sun has to say, until Claire squashes the moment. She doesn’t believe in fate, she says, and looking at her back story, it’s not hard to see why. In another flashback that was deleted from the final cut, Claire has a conversation with the pilot (the same guy from the pilot episode), wherein he tells her a story about a relative of his who took the words of a fortune teller too seriously, ultimately wasting her life. While this is before Claire realized the psychic knew what he was talking about, it’s still interesting to see, and to think that fate might be a lot more real than she thinks.

Meanwhile, the raft has successfully made it out to sea, and is on its way to rescue. A lot of the raft scenes feature the guys bonding-there’s the Bob Marley scene between Michael and Sawyer, the English scene between Michael and Jin, and the scene by the rudder between Michael and Walt. The bond between father and son will become especially important when we see the ending to this episode. Jin and Michael have really come a long way from the beatings that defined their relationship in the beginning of the season. Jin himself has pulled a complete 360 since …In Translation, becoming one of the most likable members of the entire cast. Next season will continue Jin’s journey into being the good man he once was, although his flashback to the airport shows why he was so uptight with Sun at the beginning of the season. He would never be allowed to do what he wanted, because of her father. Now that the island is their new home, Jin can finally start over. He gets rid of his last reminder of the old days by giving Paik’s watch to Michael. Michael has also become a much better father to Walt. His flashback shows that, while he loved Walt with all his heart, he had adapted to life without him, and did not know what to do once he got custody of him. Once again, the island has come to the rescue, and he’s able to learn how to be a dad to his son. When Walt says that his mom was wrong to keep the two of them separated, it’s what Michael has wanted to hear since Susan took Walt to Amsterdam, leaving him behind.

Of course, the point of this exodus was to find rescue, although the term “rescue” is as ambiguous as the term “lost.” When a ship pulls up alongside the raft, the hopes of everyone on board the raft have come true. People in the outside world know about the island, and help is coming. Those hopes are quickly dashed when the bearded man says, “We’re gonna have to take the boy.” Rousseau was not insane after all-the Others did come for the boy. Unfortunately, Sayid and Charlie protected the wrong one. The Others take Walt, Sawyer is shot, Jin dives in after him, Michael is thrown in the water, and the raft is destroyed. Looking back at this episode and the last, a lot of things have happened after they were wanted. Walt didn’t originally want to be with Michael, and now he’s not. Michael didn’t want custody of Walt when he got it, and now Walt is gone. Sawyer said to Michael that he wanted to die, and now there’s a bullet in him and he’s in the water. Also, Walt asked a bunch of questions a few episodes ago. “Will we flip over? Will a shark attack? Will we die?” The raft has as good as flipped over, and Sawyer might have died. As for the shark, well, just watch the second episode of Season 2. Michael’s anguished cries of his son’s name tear at the heart, and make the scene even more sad and dramatic than it already is.

The final plot of the episode is the dynamite retrieval team. Arzt’s boom is a shock, but not unexpected. A Redshirt going on a trek with the main group? Nothing good can come of that. Arzt is just enough of a jerk before he blows that we really don’t feel sorry for him. Instead, we feel a little awkward, like Hurley. “He just…exploded…in front of us.” Hurley feels responsible for the tragedy, and it’s understandable when we see his flashback. The funniest moment of the entire episode, its use of the numbers is great. Every time a number is used, it’s one of Hurley’s. His vehicle’s speed, the gate at the airport, the wheelchair guy has Crazy Eights on his hat, and there’s the girls soccer team where all six numbers are laid out on the jerseys. Michael Giacchino’s music is also hilarious, and really adds to the scene. Of course, it’s Jorge Garcia who makes it work, especially when he wraps the woman at the gate in a big bear hug. As funny as it is, though, it reminds us of the curse that seems to follow him around, and relates to the numbers. When Hurley sees the numbers on the hatch and flips out, it makes the scene much more dramatic and tense. Instead of everyone standing around, watching the explosion take place, and then walking to the hatch, Hurley is in mortal peril, and we expect the monster to pop out of the hole at any moment, or something just as bad to happen.

The encounter with the monster in this episode is very informative. When it attacks, Locke takes off his pack of dynamite and starts looking for the thing. Kate, meanwhile, runs with her pack on, bouncing it up and down, so it was a smart idea for Jack to take the sticks out of her pack. Like he says, he’s a great leader until he makes a decision people don’t like, and then it’s off with his head. Anyway, the monster is clearly different than what Locke saw way back in Walkabout, as this time the monster takes a hold of him. The snippets of the monster we see are just black smoke. It flits through the trees, and then runs away after Kate throws the dynamite down its hole. If you freeze frame it when Locke is being dragged backwards, you can see black smoke wrapped around his leg as well. Is this all there is to the monster? Black smoke? Then how does it “eat” people? The identity of the monster will be revisited in the upcoming seasons, and we’ll have a clearer picture of it then. Of course, Locke and Jack really have some good moments over the course of the journey. There’s the moment by the dynamite box at the Black Rock (another mystery that is added to the already dense web that we’re trying to cut through), when Jack says, “Do you like to play games, John?” and Locke responds, “Absolutely.” We all know Locke likes to play games, actual and psychological. Look at his treatment of Boone in Hearts and Minds.

Boone is also brought up in the key moment of the whole episode, the science vs. fate discussion between Jack and Locke. This theme will become the most important of all next season, even though it’s just mentioned here. Both Jack and Locke take their stands-Jack is the man of science, and will do things that are in the best interest of the group, but only when it’s necessary. Locke, the man of faith, wants to open the hatch because it’s his destiny, and believes that it was fate that made the plane crash. He believes in destiny, because it’s made him able, the direct opposite of what he was in his flashback. Jack scoffs at Locke’s beliefs and says he doesn’t believe in destiny. Locke’s reply is priceless, “Yes, you do. You just don’t know it yet.” Like I said, the fight between Locke and Jack will become the main theme of Season 2, and this is just a taste of what is to come. As a precaution, Jack tells Kate that he thinks Locke is going to become a problem, and he wants her on his side.

There is one last thing that needs to be mentioned about this episode, and that is the final flashback. In my opinion, it’s the best flashback of the entire series. There’s no dialogue, but there doesn’t need to be any. Each of the characters is shown in their own little segment, unaware of what will happen to them in a few hours time. Sawyer strides down the aisle, scowling at being deported. The marshal escorts Kate to her seat and cuffs her in. Claire struggles to get past people with her big belly, but is helped with her bag by Arzt. Michael buckles Walt’s seatbelt, and the boy takes no notice. Jin looks at Paik’s watch while his wife reads a magazine beside him. Both want to escape, but can’t. Shannon digs through her bag, searching desperately for her inhaler, only to have her ever helpful, but never thanked, brother Boone hand it to her. Sayid looks at the photos of Nadia, thinking that he’ll be seeing her in less than a day. Charlie struggles with his guitar, the most important thing in the world to him. Locke is immobile in his seat, and he and Jack exchange a polite nod between strangers. Hurley comes in last, sweating like a pig. He gives Walt a thumbs up and sits down and begins reading the polar bear comic. The invisible presence is Michael Giacchino, whose music makes the scene perfect. The whole scene is very understated-after all, it is only people boarding an airplane. But now that we know who all these people are, and what will happen to them over the next forty days, the impact of it really hits us. All the passengers board the plane to go to Los Angeles. Some, like Jack, Sayid, and Claire, think their lives are about to improve. The other eleven castaways know that their lives are about to get much more complicated, if not downright awful (Kate’s going to prison, Locke is going back to the office, his dignity taken from him, Sawyer’s going to be bouncing around, trying to get revenge on Hibbs, and Charlie’s going to have to turn down Meat Coat’s offer). None of them know where they’re really going-to their salvation, the place where they can escape all their problems. It will be an improvement for the majority of the survivors, and one that will change them forever.

Exodus-Part 2 is everything this season was about. There’s lots of emotional depth, lots of mystery, a bit of action, and overall, a whole lot of time devoted to the characters. Every member of the cast does an amazing job, even the guest stars. The people behind the camera also do great work-the cinematography is excellent, the writing is awesome, the music could not be better, the art direction is terrific, the editing is done well, and the overall direction is great. This is definitely the best way to end the season, and the cliffhanger of what’s in the hatch is going to be debated for the entire summer-will it be hope, as Locke thinks, while he bounds towards the blown hatch, or just Twinkies for Hurley?

Season 1 of Lost has been a look at fourteen characters, and how they change when put onto an island with none of the problems that followed them at home. All of them change, mostly for the better. New friendships are formed, even in the face of terrible danger, from Others and monsters and polar bears and God knows what else. The season is great because it works as a whole, or you can simply watch an individual episode and be amazed. It would have been a travesty if the season hadn’t won the Best Drama Emmy which it so rightly deserved. Lost changed the face of television, and reminded the world how good a serial drama could be. There have been numerous shows that have sprung up to copy the success of this show, but none of them can come close to matching Lost’s complexity, characterization, and just plain excellence.
  • Awesome Episode Everyone needs to see!

This was an awesome episode that everyone should see. It's right up there with Walkabout, and just a little beneth the other finales. This episode proves that LOST is one of the best shows on television. Maybe the ratings have gone down since this aired... but this is a show worth pulling a Jericho over! Thank god we don't have to, though, right? This episode features Charlie and Sayid chasing after Danielle to retrieve Claire's baby, the Sailing of the raft, and the hatch door finally being blown open. While looking back it isn't the greatest episode ever created, it IS a classic, and back then, it was a mind blowing experience!
  • hjggggggggnbmouirtgm.c,vmb. bhxuytzdz

wesamutynb bncvbxmn cnxchgdkjh jks jks jhfgdshj h hkjghdkfg dfgfg dfgdfgdfgdfg fgdfkgjdlfgk jdlfkgj dlfgk jdlfk gjdlfgk jdlfgk jdflgkjfdlgkjdflkgjdflgkjdfl kjdfglk djflgkj dflkgj dlfkgjdlfkgjdflk gjldfkg jldfk gjldfk gjdfl gjkldfk gjldfk gjdlfk gjldfk gjldf gjkdflkgj dflgudfgodfiugfdog iudfog idfoi guodf uodfi guodfi uodfig uodfi guodf ofg ogu fgofg ofg fog fgof gofg foigfugofigudofg fg fg fg dg dfg df gdf gd fgdf gdf gdf gdf gdfg fd gfd gdfg dfgdfgfdgdfgdf gdf gd fgfd gfdg fdg dfgdfg fdgdfgdf gdfgdfg dfg lkj l kl klkj lkj lk jlk jl kjl kj llkj lkj lkjlkj lkjl kjlkjl kjlkjlk jlkjlkj lkjlkjlk jlkjlkj lkjlkjl kjlkj lkjl khj kj kl l lk lk lklklk l k l k j l kj lkj lkj lk jlkjl kjl kjl kjl kjl kj oiy uy jhg tf fd dd estdsf dsf dsfds gfh gfh gf hg fh gfh bvc bv cbv ctyet re tr o-0[poi [po[po[po[ po[ o[po [po [po[po[p o[ p
  • perfection

In my opinion, this is a perfect episode of LOST. The flashbacks are great, and the on-island story is brilliant! I have never seen an ending of LOST like this one. It was so suspensful, and so great! My favorite scene ever of LOST takes place in this episode. It is the scene of all the passengers boarding Flight 815. That is the most beautiful scene I have ever seen on television. That scene is so touching. We see each character, who they were boarding the plane. Now, they are totally different. I think it is an amazing scene. This whole episode completely blew me away! The opening of the hatch, Walt getting kidnapped, the raft getting blown up-- just everything about it was wonderful! I say it again: PERFECTION!
  • We're gonna have to take the boy.

I was not the LOST fanatic I am now when the season one finale aired. I missed the beginnings of episodes and didn't care or even sometimes I would miss and week without worry. When Exodus aired the whole scenario changed. My heart pounded as the raft survivors left the island in hope of rescue. Of course we all knew that they wouldn't make it, but at least there was hope.

By part two everyone in the household was watching LOST. This is the only time it was happened (I had a LOST themed birthday party for the season two finale). The on-island part starts with Jack, Locke, and Kate going inside the Black Rock to receive dynamite to blow open the hatch. The arrogant Doctor Arzt, who claims to have a vast amount of information on dynamite, attempts to handle the dynamite carefully and blows himself up. Hurley leaves the famous line, "Dude you have a little bit of Arzt on you." On their way back Locke is dragged through the jungle by our first glimpse of the monster, a black smoke. Locke tries to have it "take him" but Jack and Kate have other plans. Meanwhile on the beach Rousseau ask Sayid for help. While at the camp she asks Claire if she can hold her baby. Soon Sayid and Charlie have to chase Rousseau through the jungle because she thinks that she will be able to trade Aaron for her daughter Alex since she overheard the others saying they were coming for "the boy." Unfortunately for our french chick the boy the others want is Walt. He is on the raft with Sawyer, Jin, and his father when they detect an incoming ship. In a desperate attempt to catch it's attention they shoot out their only flare, and yes you guessed it. It's the others. Tom aka Mr. Friendly says ask them for the boy, and when they decline opens fire on them. Eventual the others destroy the raft and take Walt. If thats not a good enough cliffhanger listen to this. Jack, Kate, Locke, and Hurley make it to the hatch with the dynamite eager to open it up. They set it up on the hinge of the hatch when Hurley recognizes the cursed numbers on the side. He tries to stop them but fails. We are left watching Locke and Jack gaze down the tunnel that leads to the Swan Station.

The flashbacks reveal the rest of the survivor's airport adventures that was started in Exodus part one. We see Hurley as he is late for the plane, Jin and the Hawaiian shirt man, Charlie's one night stand, Sayid's bag that Shannon reported because he was Arab, Jack and Locke on the plane, and Michael and Walt's wait at the airport.

Overall the episode was really genius. It was what made me the Lost fan I am today.
  • Review

I thought the episode kind of dragged at parts, but that is to be expected considering that it was a two hour conclusion to the first season. The highlight of the show was the conclusions to the hatch and boat storylines, both of which were written very well by Damon and Carlton I thought. I liked that the "rescue" boat came and got Walt...it adds a little extra credability to what Danielle said that the others were coming for "the boy". Because of that I think Walt is going back to the island where we will have some drama in season 2 with Micheal...assuming Him, Sawyer, and Jin all make it back to the island which I think that they will. Leaving us with the mystery of what is in the hatch was awesome and creul and the same time. The latter part of season1 was all about getting inside of the hatch and having to wait until season 2 to find out what is in the hatch is a little mean. Either way, it was a fnatactic ending to a great season.
  • This episode is a flashback of everyone that is a survivor of flight 815. This is the season finale of season 1 and at the end Walt is kidnapped.

This episode is about every survivor. In flashbacks, we see the survivors final moments before they boarded their fateful flight. The French woman—Danielle Rousseau (guest-star Mira Furlan)—shocks the survivors by showing up to the camp with a dire warning about "the Others" who are on the island, and the black smoke that precedes them. The French woman said that when she came to the island she had a baby and they took her and she never saw her baby again and so now the others want Clair's baby. Meanwhile, Michael and Jin ready the raft for sailing. Sun still doesn't want Jin to leave. My favorite part of this episode is when we see the day when everyone is in the airport and are getting ready to go to the airplane.
  • Great finale episode.

Michael, Walt, Sawyer and Jin sails away from the island hoping to find a boat that will get them the and the plane survivors rescued. John Locke prepares to blow up the hatch hoping to find the secrets of the island. We get to see flashbacks of the survivors boarding Oceanic Flight 815 at the airport. This is a really exciting episode. It's a cliffhanger finale, but it's a really good finale, the writers did a good job with this episode. It's really exciting, I had a really good time watching it. I'm looking forward for the next season, and I'm expecting a really great season 2.
  • I really savoured every minute of this episode.

Okay.This is one of my favourites of all time.This episode alone was so brillient and there was so much action.Jack,Kate,Locke and Hurley are on there way back mfrom the Black Rock and they are ready to blow open the Hatch Door.Meanwhile Sawyer,Michael,Jin and Walt are still sailing away to get freedom.I really wanted to see what would be in the hatch.Anyway while on the raft the radar picked up something nearby in the water.They fired the flare and then came over the boat.I thought O My God they are actually going to get rescued then the big shock."Were Gonna Have To Take the boy".WOW!This was so great and exciting it left us hanging there.Meanwhile at the hatch Hurley saw the mysterios numbers who we no nothing about."The Numbers Are Bad".Bang the hatch door blew open.BANG.-LOST

LOST
  • Lost at its best!

This episode did really amazed me. It was one of those episodes in all TV history (mine, of course) that I am not going to forget, because this, to everyon that its reading this review, is a really, really good episode. We find some things in this episode, but we have a lot of questions too. The good thing about this episode, to my thoughts, was the one in the raft. With Sawyer, Michael, Jin, and Walt finally thinking that they have find someone to save them all, but everything gives a turning point when Walt gets kidnap by some mysterious men, and the raft explodes. While, Jack, Kate, and Sawyer carry the nitroglicerine toward the hatch, when they manage to blow it up, without the warning from Hurley saying that "Numbers are bad!" and also Charlie and Sayid go out to find Claire's baby, now named Aaron, and, well, almost everything was cool in this episode, one of the best finales in TV history, and I just love this episode! Its so cool!
  • And then one does wonder why Lost is the best.

Season 1 finale made me realise how much I love these fictional characters. Season 1 finale was about characters mostly, and that is why S1 finale will go down one of the best hours on television ever.

The 'rafties' are finally ready to go, and the dynamite for the hatch is in posession.

We have a small monster-moment - Locke is grabbed by the mysterious monster, but eventually saved by Jack and the dynamite. We see the monster.. finally. A black smoke. Hmm.. Interesting. What made the episode really good were the conversations between the survivors. I loved every word Jack and Locke said to eachother. Two man, two different views. Locke is the man of faith, Jack is the man of science. Locke wants to go down the hatch, because he believes, down there, there is hope. Jack wants to go down to save the survivors from the possible 'other-threat'.

The best part of the episode isn't the cliffhanger(s). In my opinion, it's the montage at the end where they show all of the survivors on the plane. It's just really touching.

The episode ends with 2 shocking cliffhangers... Walt abducted by the 'others' and the raft blew up, and the hatch opened! Finally!

The flashbacks were brilliant. The episode featured 'multiple' flashbacks, of the main survivors, while they were getting ready for the doomed Flight 815.

Closing thoughts... While I overally liked S2 finale more, S1 finale does a bunch of things better. S1 finale shows more of the characters, way more. And that what makes it incredibly emotional and heart wrenching.
  • Michael: "Walt! Walt! WAALLTT!!"

Danielle decides to go back, now that she's shown the way to the Black Rock. Jack, Locke, and Kate go inside it, while Hurley and Arzt decide to stay outside. Inside, there are skeletons chained to the walls. Locke says that it must be an old slave ship that left from Africa. After a moment, they find a chest marked "explosives". Obviously, they've found the dynamite. Jack and Locke carry the chest outside, and Arzt comes running over to stop them. Arzt is telling them all just how dangerous dynamite is, and how careful you must be handling it, when BOOM! Little bits of Arzt go flying through the air in an explosion of dynamite. Pretty dangerous stuff!

Everything is going fine on the raft, and they are beginning to sail away from the island. Looking at the coast, the rafties wonder just how big the island really is. Back on land, Sayid is getting everybody ready to move to the caves in case the Others attack. Claire is concerned about how she's going to make the journey with her baby. Back at the Black Rock, Jack and Locke are CAREFULLY wrapping up the sticks of dynamite and getting ready to transport them. They draw sticks, and Locke and Kate are to carry 3 sticks each in their backpacks, which makes Jack unhappy, because he didn't want Kate carrying any.

Back at camp, Danielle shows up, panicked, and wants Charlie to go get Sayid. This leaves Claire alone, and Danielle looks at her baby funny. Charlie returns with Sayid, only to find Claire with a bloody head and screaming. Danielle's taken her baby.

On the raft, Sawyer is reading everyone's messages that are in the bottle, and he tells Walt the only letter he ever wrote is to the man he's going to kill. Meanwhile, Charlie and Sayid take off into the jungle, believing that Danielle is headed for the black smoke. Claire stops them and tells Charlie to get the baby back, whom she's decided to name Aaron. Charlie promises to get him back, and he and Sayid take off running again.

In more flashbacks of people at the airport before the plane is to leave, we see Michael on the phone with his mother, asking her to take Walt for him. We see Jin in the bathroom, where he gets a warning from one of Mr. Paik's associates to not try to run away in Los Angeles, and to deliver the watches. We see Charlie in a hotel room with a girl whom he had been doing heroin with the night before. We see Hurley rushing to get to the airport on time, and how he barely makes the flight. The numbers appear quite a lot on his way there. Also, we see Locke being carried onto the plane, due to his paralysis.

Back on the raft, they hit a log, and the rudder breaks off. Sawyer jumps in to get in, and Michael hauls him back in with a rope. At the caves, Sun comforts Shannon, and tells her that Boone died bravely. Claire is there with them, and seems very depressed. Charlie and Sayid take a rest for a few minutes, and stop at the drug plane that fell from the cliff. Sayid tells Charlie it was carrying heroin (which Charlie is getting over), and Sayid shows him it's hidden in the Virgin Mary statues. Charlie stares at it, as they get ready to start moving after Danielle again. In the jungle, Jack, Locke, Kate, and Hurley are on their way to the hatch when suddenly the monster attacks again. Locke takes off his backpack and tries to look at the monster, but we just see a look of terror come over his face. The monster begins dragging him along the ground, and down into a hole, when Jack comes to his rescue, grabbing Locke's hand at the last minute. He has Kate go get dynamite to throw into the hole, and reveals he switched packs with her so he'd carry the dynamite. She goes and gets it from his pack, and throws it into the hole. A big cloud of black smoke comes out, and seems to look at Jack and Kate, then dissappears. They pull Locke up, and everything's ok.

While running through the jungle, Charlie triggers one of Danielle's traps, and gets hit in the head with a big rock. Sayid takes some gunpowder from one of the bullets in his pistol, puts it in Charlie's wound, and lights it, so it'll stop the bleeding. That night, Jack, Locke, Kate, and Hurley are almost back at the hatch. Jack talks with Locke about why he wanted to see the monster so bad. They argue, and Locke points out their big difference- Jack is a man of science, Locke is a man of faith. Locke believes that once they open the hatch, they'll meet their destinies, whatever that may be. On the raft, Sawyer turns on the radar that Sayid gave them, when suddenly a blip appears on it. There's something out there. Charlie and Sayid reach the black smoke, and see Danielle hiding in the bushes, holding Aaron. She's crying and confused. She was going to trade Aaron for Alex, but the Others weren't there. She knew they were coming to take the child, but which child? They get Aaron back, and head for the caves.

In the jungle, the group with the dynamite reaches the hatch and sets the dynamite fuse. Kate asks why Jack switched their backpacks, and Jacks says everyone wants him to be leader until he makes a decision they don't like. He also says that once they get the hatch open, they're going to have a Locke problem. Hurley, who went to hide a few sticks of dynamite in the trees to save for later, trips and shines his flashlight on the side of the hatch, where you can see 4 8 15 16 23 42 ingraved in the side. He yells to Locke not to light the fuse, but Locke does anyways. Jack pushes Hurley down and out of the way, and the dynamite blows up.

Out on the raft, after some argueing, they finally fire the flare. A big light suddenly shines on them. A bearded man on a fishing boat greets them. There are 2 twin men on board, and a woman in the cabin. The rafties are overjoyed-until the bearded man says they're gonna have to take the boy, take Walt. Everyone is dumbfounded. The light goes off, and Sawyer pulls his gun, but he's shot by one of the twin men, and he falls into the water. Jin jumps in after him. One of the twin men grabs Walt, the other beats up Michael and throws him into the water. The woman in the cabin throws an explosive onto the raft, and it explodes in a ball of flames. Michael cries out for Walt as the boat drives away.

In a final flashback montage, we see everyone on the plane, taking their seats, moments before takeoff. Hurley gives Walt a thumbs up, Boone gives Shannon her inhaler, and Locke and Jack exchange glanes with each other.

Over the hatch door is a big cloud of smoke. Jack and Locke jump over, exchange glances, and pull the hatch door away. They look down into it. We see a broken ladder, and the hatch goes down, down, down, into darkness.
  • YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS EPISODE

Wow.

Where we last left our heroes: Jin, Michael, Walt, and Sawyer were on the raft, and Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Hurley, Artz, and Danielle (i can't spell her last name) were in the jungle looking for dynamite to blow up the hatch.

This episode is probably the best I've seen. It's emotional, frightening, touching, startling, shocking, and funny all at the same time. The acting was high-par, and I was in awe at the powerful scene where Walt is taken by the Others. And Danielle, whom we originally thought was a lunatic, was given humanity when it was revealed that the Others took her child, and she was alone on for 16 years.

But, warning: Watch this episode after you've seen the first season and before the second. You'll understand it better.
  • Great ending. Double cliffhanger.

The opening was incredible, Locke getting grabbed by the monster, and we finally see it! A 'smoke'. interesting...

Rafties sail out, but things soonly get worse as they have a face off with the others. One of them gets shot, and their raft is blown up. But why..? Because they came for Walt.

So it was not Aaron who the others wanted, it was Walt. THe Aaron storyline is wrapped up too, it was just Rousseau wanting the kid, because she lost Alex, and wnated to make a trade.

Finally, the hatch door is blown up, its open. And the episode ends with Locke and Jack looking down the hatch, as the camera goes down, screen gets darker, darker and darker...LOST.

Only complaint: We didn't see ANYTHING of the hatch, luckily, the fact we seen a few others made things better.
  • The castaways who make it onto the raft are surprised at sea by something that unexpectedly happens -- they make their first contact with "others" out at sea, but meet disastrous results. meanwhile, jack, locke, kate and hurley take the dynamite back.

this episode was the best of the season. the best parts of this episode were basically everything but parts that stoood out to me where: when jack, kate, locke and hurley are chased by the monster whilst holding the dynamite, the part were michael, jin, sawyer and walt are attacked by the others and walt is taken, the part were charlie and sayid get aaron back and the part were locke and jack look down the hatch. the funniest part was when dr arzt blows up. lol. i love lost i love lost. i love lost. i love lost. i love lost.
  • second half of the season one finale

this is one of the best episodes of the series so far. i remember at the end wondering how i would make it to the next fall. the thing i liked most about the episode was the black rock. i was suprised when i saw what it was. i hope we learn more about it during season three. watching arzt blow up was awesome. then at the end when the others took walt i was suprised again.
< 1 2