Lost

Fire + Water

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 25, 2006 on ABC

• Garbage!

I love LOST, but this is entirely the worst episode of the far! It is horribly written and it serves absolutely no purpose for the mythology of the show. They really sh*t all over Dominic's character, which make the audience hopeless that he will ever be a "good" person on the island. I think that deep down, we are all rooting for Charlie (dealing with family issues, drug addiction, depression from no longer being a part of Drive Shaft) and this particular episode just makes the audience feel like saying "Damn Charlie, you suck!". Furthermore, it's completely boring. The only thing that saves this episode is that Kate is involved. She's hot. I know that writing this review in September 2013 (three years after the finale) is pointless, but I just want to put it out there!
  • Religion, the Opiate of the Masses!

Statuettes of the Virgin Mary contain heroine?

A visual pun for "Religion, the Opiate of the Masses!"
  • Locke's True Colors

This is the episode where Charlie loses it, and you find out what a self-righteous prick Locke really is. I really never liked Locke very much after this episode.
  • Poor Execution!!!!!

From the Writers Perspective:

Charlie has is fans, so the producers know that they have to do a episode centered on him.

However, the writers have no idea how to do that, since Charlie is not a strong characters and is very difficult to build a story centering him, that is worth watching and not boring.

This episode show how the writers are "Lost".

So what they did? They tried to tied the Island way to send messages to Charlie. This was very bad done, since even religion was put into this episode. This was unnecessary. Even Characters like locke made things out of their character.

Overall, the writers tried create a purpose to charlie, tied is old addiction to make it difficult to be able to make it and with it, we have some poor scenes and a worthless flashbacks.

My Point of View:

The worst epiosode of Lost, no doubts about it. This episode separates super fan from regular fans. This is noticed from fans opinion, since there are fans that like all the episodes.

Not all was bad in this episode, is just everything abot charlie was bad executed, even the flashbacks.

Overall, this episode was worthless to watch and very boring too.
  • Awesome.

Charlie has a dream that Aaron's life is in danger and feels a need for Claire's baby son Aaron to be baptized. Claire is disgusted by Charlie and Locke moves the heroin statues to the hatch. In flashbacks, Charlie's one-hit wonder band unsuccessfully tries to regain some of their past fame. We learn about Charlie - my favourite character. I love Charlie's deams. I also love the scene where Hurley asks Sawyer about Libby, and Sawyer is so mean but I love him - you just got to love him! I love the scene with Ana Lucia and Jack and she asks him if he is "hitting" Kate - so funny. I feel sorry for Charlie but I love they way Locke hits him. Oh and the Charlie and Jack scene is awesome!
  • Up to the way to heaven

Charlie nos cuenta su infancia y sus sueños con Aaron. Y me pregunto qué es eso de los ángeles (su madre y Claire) y por qué justo con la llegada de Mr. Eko. El bautismo, según Charlie, es la única forma de salvar al niño del peligro y Claire, aunque no confíe en él, se pregunta si no es lo conveniente. Le pregunta a Mr. Eko si esa es la solución y el asiente. Nadie cree en Charlie, todos piensan que volvió a consumir heroína. Y eso, creo, no lo favorecerá de ahora en más. Todo se vuelve negro, difícil.
  • I think they should have called this one "Everyone Hates Charlie!"

I felt so bad for Charlie in this episode, even if he did start a fire and kidnapp Claire's baby... Charlie's having very scary, very real dreams about baby Aaron, making him believe that Aaron is in danger. In one of his dreams Charlie actually takes Aaron from his cradle and wakes up holding him in the ocean. Claire slaps him and that is when my heart breaks... It wasn't his fault. It was a dream. Then Mr. Eko tells Charlie that he thinks Aaron might need to be baptized, and that is when our trouble begins. Charlie burns part of the camp to distract everyone so he can get Aaron baptized. Claire finds Aaron missing and flips out. Then the next thing I know, Aaron is back in Claire's arms and Locke is punching Charlie in the face- Multiple times! And this is the epsiode where I decide that officially hate Locke and that I am mad at Claire and Kate (for pushing Charlie away...I know she was protecting Claire, but still. It was annoying)

Bottom line: Good episode, but really sad. =(
  • Trying something, but it doesn't add up to much

5.5
    So far this season, the majority of the episodes have split their focus between the people back on the beach handling the hatch, and the 'new people' the tailies and there encounters with the Others. A lot of the secondary characters have been ignored, an it's possible that the next several episodes are an attempt to redress that balance, and get them more involved in the overarching stories. Unfortunately, a lot of those episodes would not be very strong, and 'Fire + Water' is one of the weakest we've seen so far.

At the center of the episode is Charlie, who has been headed in a downward arc since the season began and has been plummeting further still. His addiction has been exposed to Claire, and now she no longer trusts him near Aaron. Then the island seems to weaken him still further by sending him visions that he can't explain. The first is a dram, and that's nothing really new--- Locke's already had at least one prophetic dream. The second one, however, is even more mysterious, featuring his mother and Claire, the most important women in his life, and Aaron's phantom crying. Even more alarming Charlie appears to sleepwalk through the second one, and even he can't explain why he awakens near the beach with the baby. Unfortunately, he fixates on this, and begins to believe that the child is in even greater peril, which leads him to desperate measures in order to get him--- baptized.

The problem is that ever since Charlie discovered the statues, he's got a major credibility gap--- first with Claire, and, more ominously with Locke. Locke's faith has been getting shakier ever since they opened the hatch, and to see Charlie, the man he saved, now carrying figures that he knows contain heroin, is another body blow to his self-esteem. When he talks to Claire and Charlie he seems a lot shakier than he was the previous season, and he cannot give the support he had last season. When Charlie takes measures into his own hands, and in doing so loses everything, even among people like Eko, who he turned to for advice, and Hurley, the one friends he's kept.

What makes this not work dramatically is the fact that there is no really reason for Charlie to go over the edge. Even if he couldn't have approached Claire on the same level that he could've, there were other people he could have gone to. For him to light a fire and risk burning the entire camp to the ground is such an extreme approach, we can't help but wonder if Charlie has been using again, despite his entreaties. And considering Claire does do it, we can say it worked, but you can't tell us that the end justifies the means.

More to the point, why are we so sure that Aaron is so important. As I write this we're now approaching the shows final season, and not only has Aaron not seemed at the center of a lot of the stories, when the bulk of Season 5 took place, he wasn't even on the island. So why all of the effort to make him seem important? Is it because of who his family is? (I'll remain from mentioning who that family is until later)

Furthermore, the flashbacks involving Charlie are becoming even less important than the ones we get from Jack. There isn't a thing in any of the flashbacks that we didn't know by the time we saw ''The Moth', so why do we need to replay that Liam was a druggie who missed his daughter's being borne, and who gave up drugs to try and get his life together, while leaving Charlie behind? Been there, done that. (And the commercial that we saw them try to do was probably the weakest part of the show so far)

And it's not like we're getting much more from any of the other characters. Claire gets a little more screen time in this episode than she's had for almost all of Season 2 so far, but it all seems to be about her concern for Aaron. Hurley's still sweet on Libby, the one member of the tailies we know almost nothing about, but that's not going very far. Jack and Ana Lucia seem to be bonding a little, but if they've been doing anything to follow up on Jack's decision to try and train an army, there's no real sign of it here. Sawyer is busy exercising with Kate on the beach, but considering a couple of days ago he just went on a mammoth trek through the jungle looking for Michael, I'd say that he's pretty much better from the infection. The only one we seem to really get affected is Locke, who seems troubled at the episodes start, and by the end has punched Charlie till he bled, and is now constantly changing the combination to the safe, clearly no longer sure about anything. So what else is new?

By the end of 'Fire + Water' (whose title must have something to do with the baptism Charlie wants done and the fire he sets to try and accomplish it; otherwise I'm blanking) Charlie's hood is back up, which as we know by now is a sign that he's back on drugs. It's kind of sad to see that Charlie's fallen so far (and he's still got a way to go before he bottoms out) but he doesn't seem to have learned much from his experience. So I have to ask the question: why did we have go through it, too?
  • We have Charlie having wacky surreal dreams and memories surfacing, with Mr Eko explaining them as he sees, then we have Mr Locke believing Charlie is using again. Sawyer plays semi-match maker for Hurley, trying to get him past the first point.

The majority of this episode is revolving around Charlie, his past, his dreams and the meanings of this. We start of with a flashback of a christmas morning when Charlie gets a piano, Liam his older brother gets alot of presents, whereas Charlie just gets a piano but is told that it will help him get them all out of here. Something else is in the passed here, his dad, a butcher, is adament that he gets a trade behind him, but we see is can be a bit of a bull of a man.

The flashback sees him playing the piano, Liam and then himself in the same scenario, but at their current age, he is still playing the piano but it is then in the waters' edge, then he hears a baby crying, Aaron, then the baby's craddle is being washed out to sea, he swims after it and rescues it and then takes it back to the beach, where in an instance it is now night and Hurley is asking him what he's doing, then Claire shouting out in the night for the baby. Claire doesn't want to hear it, Charlie just succeeds getting himself deeper and deeper in the do-do with Claire

Charlie goes to see Locke, trying to get him to understand what and why he did what he did, as Locke and Charlie have some good history, but Locke doesn't see it that way.

Charlie has more flashbacks, this time it is with the group Driveshaft, trying to save their careers, this time they are doing a commercial for a baby product, but it keeps getting messed up, the producer saying that they can have another go if they get rid of one of them, that being Liam, his brother, he says no and so they all get fired.

Back on the island, Charlie finds Mr Eko marking trees, because those ones his likes, he then explains his surreal experiences and vivid dreams, leading Mr Eko to give his opinion of them, what it would appear to be. He goes to see Claire about the explanation from Mr Eko, Kate is there and tries to stop him then gets him to leave the area after he says his peace. Locke looks on.

Jack provides Ana with a tarp for protection from the elements.Locke follows Charlie to his stash of statues, then he tells him that he has been giving him the benefit of the doubt, but after he has witnessed him breaking one of them, he confiscates the rest of them, after seeing Charlie looking longingly at the heroin and having a flashback.

He tries to save his brother, by getting the brothers closer and getting them back on the scene, esp. as Liam's wife said he was dangerous after he dropped Megan, his brother believes him or starts too, then later on we see that Liam has sold the piano and everything else, in order to buy a ticket to go to australia and start over.

He tries to save the baby once more, by setting fire to the bushes near the beach camp, but it does fail, causing Locke to hit charlie in front of everyone. Claire talks things through with Mr Eko who explains about baptisment and offers to baptise both of them, which she agrees to and undertakes it.

Mr Locke, changes the combination to the armoury and places the virgin mary's on the top shelf, leaving a despondent and self absorbed Charlie to see on the beach by himself.
  • There's a feeling of Deja Vu about this episode. Episode 12 of Season 2, like episode 2 of Season 1 is another very weak effort from an already bumpy start to this season.

4.5
    If episode 12, "Whatever the case may be", was the only real dud of season 2, then episode 12, "Fire + Water" may stand as the only dud episode of Season 2. In an episode, which is only filler material, the only mysterious thing about this episode is why is episode 12 a cursed episode for the creators?
    Okay, to be fair, there is some mystery to the episode, in Charlie's dreams.
    But these don't really add much to the ongoing mythology of the show.
    The flashbacks are also weak and basically re-hash what we already know, just in a different context. Charlie is a junkie, so is his brother. Liam has a baby, which we already knew from "The Moth".
    The Butties commercial scene bordered on stupidity and Lost can't afford to do stupidity.
    The only nice moment of the flashback was hearing Driveshaft's potential comeback song, "Saved".
    The on island stuff also continues the re-hash of Charlie's predicaments. It is about time that the drug plotline is laid to rest. Hopefully, now that Locke has stored them in the Swan Station armory, this may be the case.
    Sadly, this is another episode, which prevents the survivors from seeing the bigger picture on the island. After the cliffhanger of the last episode, things were promising to gear up a notch or two with the promise of a war against the Others and a re-invested interest in the mysteries of the island amongst the survivors, particularly Jack. But this episode proves that such hopes can be dashed. Jack resumes his role as island flirt, this time with Ana-Lucia, who seems to be softening up on his side of the island.
    The fact that Jack or anybody else is taking the mysteries or the dangers of the island seriously is basically because there are too many distractions within the tribe of survivors. Charlie's troubles are a perfect case in point, and the writers are clearly demonstrating this point more and more as the series progresses, as annoying as it is.
    Because no one knows, or even cares, as to why Charlie feels the need to save Aaron, any connections to the island are ignored once again.
    Unfortunately, Charlie's dreams don't give us much to make a connection ourselves and feel that much of what we see are basically a twisted view of Charlie's life and his problems and how to overcome them.
    Much of the episode involves Charlie or Locke passing the Virgin Mary statues to each other, unwillingly and the civil war that breaks out amongst them later on. Locke is unusually violent in this episode, harking back to his angry past. He is still capable of anger bursts, as we have seen more often in this season than of last, now that his faith is diminishing.
    With the only one with an interest in the island's mysteries, it seems a shame that now he is more invested in the other survivor's welfare, particularly in Claire, Charlie and the baby. Everyone seems to be affected by Jack's laid-back attitude and this is not helping the forward momentum of this season so far.
    This episode had some nice moments, mainly surrounding Sawyer and Hurley. Sawyer setting Hurley up with Libby was very funny and watching a nervy Hurley with Libby in the Swan Station was cute. As an hour of episodic television, it is still better than alot of what else is still out there, but by Lost standards this is a poor effort.
    Thus far this season has really only provided four very good episodes, two of which are pretty outstanding, but now things seem to be holding back reluctantly, as if the writers are still unsure of how to continue the storyline. I still have tremendous faith in this show and still enjoy watching it and feel that the second half will be the flip side to the first half. The momentum should now build to a great season finale. Here's hoping!
  • Oh, come on! It wasn't that bad...

Hey it was more along the 'Nothing Happened' side of things, but surely it wasn't that bad. The only problems to me were the parts of the episode that made me want to turn away, like Charlie with Claire's baby. It was painful to see.
    But hey, some parts were funny. The Ana-Lucia with Jack scenes were quite cute. Hugo with Libby was cuter.
    As for the flashbacks, they were good, and revealing. The "You all every butties" part was funny.
    Then of course there were the very painful to watch scenes. Charlie starting the fire, taking Claire's baby so it could get baptised. I am a christian, and Eko pouring water on to Claire and Aaron was not baptism. What a scam, and it was kind of silly.

Overall, perhaps not much happened, well compared to last weeks episode anyway. But, I was pleased with the homor and parts that revealed and gave answers.
    I was just annoyed with the fake baptism.
  • A Charlie-centric episode

Let me just start out by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode, but than again Charlie-centric episodes always stand out as my favorite since Charlie is one of my most favorite characters on the show. This is definitely my favorite Charlie-centric episode that Lost has had so far, and I also think that it's also the best Charlie-centric episode ever. I loved all of the flashbacks of Charlie's life. They were so well done. I also loved the whole storyline about Sawyer giving Hurley advice on how to tell Libby that he liked her. I just really liked Sawyer in general in this episode. I wish that he had been featured more in this episode though. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost by everyone involved, and I can't wait to continue watching my Lost: Season Two DVD set.
  • Kate: (to Sawyer) What's with you? You're acting like you're in junior high.

Charlie has a dream that Aaron's life is in danger and forces Mr. Eko to baptize Aaron. Sawyer helps Hurley in wooing Libby. Charlie remembers his life with his brother after their fall from fame. Many people hate this episode "Fire and Water" because hey thoaght nothing really happened but I disagree I can see where there coming from but I thought it was about time we resolve Charli's addiction to herion and it happened at the right time for me.
    This episode has one of the worst ratings but this shouldn't be because it has all you need from a episode. Serously underated episode and it deserves higher.
  • Charlie centric. It's weird how much Charlie changed during the second season.

It's weird how much Charlie change during the second season.
    All these freaky experiences and dreams are happening to him which all point to one thing... Araon is in danger so Mr.Eko suggests that maybe Araon needs to be baptised but Claire fears that if Araon was baptised she wouldn't be with him if something happened to them because she wasn't baptised either so she gets baptised by Mr.Eko in a really emotional scene which made me cry. we see flashbacks of Charlie's strange past in which he and his borther are washed up singers, his brother has a baby and then abondenes Charlie. Because of all these weird dreams Charlie has been having he starts a fire so he can kidnap Araon to go get him batised but then he is stopped. I liked the excitement, the flashbacks and the strange dreams. Good stuff. Favorite character from this episode : Claire, I love her !
  • An episode that wanted to be much more than what it really is. Yes, it's artistic, but no, it doesn't have anything deep to say, despite how hard the writers tried to make us believe that.

While I don't think it was Lost's worst, it was pretty darn close. It was highly artistic with all the freaky visions and religious references, but they also felt really out there. Charlie has visions in which he has to save Aaron. Then he realizes he has to baptise him... and to do this he has to kidnap him. Erm, okay. It sounds stupid, and it actually is. But there are several saving graces.

Many would say that Locke acted out of character, but no. He's lost majority of his faith due to the hatch, so him not believing Charlie(the island's testing me) was perfectly rational. I also liked how he rewarded Charlie's little action with a nice beat-up. Charlie simply had that coming....

Because of Locke's development I'm willing to forgive the writers for the stupid Charlie sets the jungle on fire so he can kidnap Aaron thing. But the whole baptising was horrible. Religious themes are unneccessery in this show. That was such a disney moment. Season 2 at this point feels like a season where all of the characters have their downfall, whereas in season 1 they all found redemption. Overall, it was entertaining but once you start looking at the details like you do with Lost you'll notice how random the entire episode is.
  • Charlie is wacko!

Charlie has flashbacks of when he and his brother were suffering because of the drugs.

Charlie has strange dreams of Aaron being in danger. He tries to help, but Claire pushes him away. Locke suspects Charlie of doing the drugs in the virgin Marys but he denies it. He talks to Eko to see what he thinks and Mr. Eko says that maybe Aaron should be baptized. Charlie starts a fire and then steals Aaron so he can baptize him. Locke and everyone gather around Charlie and Charlie finally gives the baby back. Hurley has a thing for Libby, so Sawyer encourages him to go after her. He and Libby talk while doing laundry.

This episode was great! It was really weird though. Charlie is really strange. I'm glad he wasn't taking the drugs. This episode gets a 9.5 out of 10!
  • Charlie???

Charlie was one of my favorite characters until this episode. What in the world happened? I know he was struggling with the whole heroin thing but was those delusions really necessary. And what was with him in the diapers. What a turn off. Who wrote this??? The flashbacks were dreadful as well as weird. And him stealing Claire's baby and running out into the water was not sexy at all. Like I predicted Charlie ruins everything he worked for between him and Claire. If only he had let his addiction go, he may still have had a chance to redeem himself with Claire. The worst episode EVER!!!
  • Many people hate this one.

This episode has the worst raing out of all the episodes of Lost on this website but I think its underrated it should a least be a 8.4.
  • All about the lame ass story of Charlie, the most boring character in all of tv.

7.9
    Charlie has dreams about terrible things happening to Aaron and thinks that Claire should let Mr. Eko baptise him. He assumes Aaron is in danger. This episode is so boring. Charlie is just being stupid, he is in love with Claire yet he is willing to steal the heroin and her baby for that matter. Hurley and Libby make a cute couple, I have high hopes for them. I wonder what is going on with Jack and Ana Lucia because last episode ended with him saying, "How long would it take to form an army?" Which was an amazing ending and I wanted them to pick up from that scene next eppie. They decided to not let us hear the rest of the convo. I hope Micheal and Walt are okay and return soon.
  • "What about my family?!"

Charlie's flashbacks once again underline his need to be needed. His brother leaves him for his family, leaving Charlie alone. At the end of the episode, Charlie will be alone again. The only difference is that this time, the audience doesn't care, and that's the overriding feeling of this episode. What's the point?

As I said, the flashbacks are so boring and similar to previous ones that the audience is left saying, "Come back Jack and Kate, all is forgiven!" Once again, we're treated to Charlie feeling left alone-his brother has a family now, and is in such a bad shape that he's dropping his new baby. Of course, Charlie tries to help him, and pushes Liam into the fatherly role. This backfires on him, and Liam leaves Charlie alone. He also sells Charlie's piano, which is the one thing that has helped Charlie whenever he needs it. His mother thought it would help save everyone, and it had worked for Charlie-as long as you discount the whole drug addict thing. When Liam sells it and leaves Charlie alone, heading for Australia, it is a genuinely sad, moving scene, and, as much I don't want to in this episode, I feel for Charlie. It's balanced well with Charlie being abandoned on the island as well, so aside from the fact that the flashbacks don't advance any existing storyline in any discernible way, they're not too bad.

The island story, however, is pretty bad. The plot is thus: Charlie is having extremely vivid dreams, all involving Aaron in deadly situations. When he talks to Eko about this, he becomes convinced that Aaron needs to be baptized, and he steals the baby in the middle of the night, surrounded by fire + water, and tries to baptize him. Yeah, that's the real plot. I know. It's not pulled off very well, either. It comes out of nowhere, for one thing. Aside from having Claire "leave him," Charlie really hasn't done much this season. So, it seems like the producers wanted Charlie to have a flashback episode and decided that this was the last chance they had to give him one. Therefore, they cooked up a half-baked storyline and pasted it into an episode. The fact that more than five minutes of the forty-three minute episode is taken up by dreams should tell you something.

The fact that the plot makes no sense aside, let's look at how it actually unfolds, and see what's wrong with it. Charlie is such a jerk in this episode I'm surprised Locke didn't slap him sooner. The fact that he asks Locke to put in a good word with Claire the day after he stood by the sea with her baby in his arms is what alienates him from me. The audacity that he shows, thinking that he still deserves her respect, is appalling. He also does a heck of a lot of question dodging. Every time someone confronts him, he (as usual) swells up like a balloon and starts pontificating about how he's not using drugs and how everyone suspects him unfairly, while at the same time avoiding answering the question posed to him. To be fair, he does have a point in his conversation with Locke. Kate sees a black horse in the jungle, Shannon and Sayid see Walt, Jack sees his dad, Locke sees the plane, etc. However, when Charlie thinks he sees something, it's dismissed as a drug hallucination. The audience knows he's not using, but if you put yourself in Jack or Locke's shoes, it's very easy to suspect the poor Hobbit of it once again.

However, as with any storyline, there are some things that are good that come from it. The imagery is one. I love Charlie's second dream, simply for all that goes on. Claire and Mrs. Pace as angels, the dove, Hurley in his robes, and if you look in the upper corner of the screen you can see the Beechcraft going down. There's also the great shot going around Locke's head. It was used in Tabula Rasa and is used here again. Both times he was quietly watching everything that goes on around him, taking it all in, and about to surprise us-the first time we later found out he was paralyzed, and this time he shocks us by beating up Charlie, something we didn't think Locke was capable of. There's also pretty much any scene between Locke and Claire. It's just nice to see Emilie de Ravin back in the show, as she's been relegated to a couple shots an episode. Locke saying that Charlie's saving Aaron because he can't save himself is an excellent way to describe his behavior. The end of the episode is also well done visually. The fire and water element is great (Charlie torches all of Eko's trees, did you notice that?), and the image of Charlie alone in the water while everyone walks away from him is an excellent one. Once again, the closest thing to a family he currently has leaves him. Locke's moment where he says that Charlie isn't Aaron's family is another good line, in an episode sorely lacking them. The last thing I'd like to mention is that, as annoying and treacherous as Charlie is, Dom Monaghan still does a great job in the episode. His last flashback and the scene when he's crying by the ocean are both very well done, and do deliver some emotional impact.

The little subplots that crop up are also not very big on forward plot momentum, but they're at least fun to watch. Hurley and Libby do laundry together, after some pretty hilarious scenes with Sawyer (I absolutely love Sawyer trying to teach blackjack to Hurley, and poor Jabba just not getting it). Hurley asks if he's met Libby before, but she dismisses it as nothing. The audience, though, can't help but think that maybe they do know each other from somewhere else. There's also the rather funny scene between Ana-Lucia and Jack in the jungle, which really only serves to turn Jack into a soap opera star as well as Kate. To continue with the character deterioration, Kate is seen helping Sawyer with his exercises, but immediately gets a sad puppy dog face when Jack leaves the jungle with Ana-Lucia. Blech. The last scene that I want to mention is the scene when Claire is baptized by Eko, along with Aaron. The little montage that's shown is well done, and I like the scene for what I feel underlies it. As much as Claire despises Charlie at the moment, she still baptizes Aaron. This says to me that she still believes Charlie, and would still be willing to let him back in given time. As ridiculous as it may be, I think it's sweet, and it makes Claire an even better person.

On the whole, this episode is a dud. There are a couple of good moments or lines, but the only consistently good thing about it is Michael Giacchino's score, which is excellent from start to finish. It's as if he knew the episode was going to bomb, and decided he had to pick it up with the music. By the end of the episode, Charlie is alienated and it looks like he's going to stay that way. Thankfully, one bad episode is not enough to alienate Lost's audience, and the next episode will be better.
  • nice episode

Charlie gets surreal dreams while he is wide awake. He thinks that Claire's baby Aaron is in trouble, and he believes he needs to protect this baby from harm. Locke suspects that Charlie may be using the stash of heroin again. This episode centers around Charlie, it looks at how he became a heroin addict. Hurley looks at Libby a lot, Sawyer gets him to talk to Libby. It's a good dramatic episode, this is what a drama show must be, it's a slow pace but there's something around the corner that's very interesting, this show never fails to impress me.
  • Review

I thought season two was going really well and then it hit a big roadblock with this episode. The main storyline didnt advance at all and the flashback for Charlie was really dull. Charlies episodes seem to be nothing but a repeat of what they were in the first season. The drama of if Charlie is using on the island again has sparked Lockes interest, but as I said it seems to just be reused over from season one. Hopefully the writers used this episode as a little break and they will get it back together in the next couple of episodes.
  • This was by far the worst episode. There wasn't anything to it like every other episode...

5.2
    This was by far the worst episode. There wasn't anything to it like every other episode. It was boring, out of character and meaningless.

Adam Horowitz, the writer of this episode did a pathetic job, maybe he was told to mak ean episode without much hapening, if so - he did a really pathetic job at it.

I must admit that the flashbacks were excellent but the rest was just spooky and pathetic.
  • There is always the odd episode which doesn't live up to this shows expectations, Fire + Water being one of them.

7.2
    The story-line in this episode seems pretty pointless, when i first watched it i found my self asking "what the hell is going on? is this LOST?". It seemed to completley stray from the main arc of the story-line and suddenly go all religous and off the scale for an episode, by the end of the episode i found my self feeling that this was a complete waste of time. But then again if your into this sort of religious style story i suppose it was done very well, the flashbacks were quite good and the way that these visions have been torturing Charlie forcing him to "steal" the baby are portrayed pretty well.
  • When Charlie's vividly surreal dreams lead him to believe Claire's baby, Aaron, is in danger, Locke suspects Charlie may be using again. Meanwhile, Sawyer encourages Hurley to act on his attraction to Libby.

This episode is about Charlie. When Charlie's vividly surreal dreams lead him to believe Claire's baby, Aaron, is in danger, Locke suspects Charlie may be using again. Charlie then is determined to save baby Aaron from any kind of danger that there could be. Meanwhile, Sawyer encourages Hurley to act on his attraction to Libby. My favorite part of this episode is when Charlie has that dream about Aaron being in danger. Another part of this episode that is my favorite is when Charlie is determined to get Aaron baptized and out of any danger that there could be. This was one of my favorite episodes if you ask me and I hope that you really liked this episode as much as I do.
  • The episode could have been good, however, it was way too out of character.

Unlike most of the bashers, my problem is not that the main plot didn't advance. I can live with that as far as the writers give me good pieces of character moments.

The problem with this episode was the incredibly out of characterness. For almost everyone.

Let's start with Locke. Now, Locke, normally, would believe Charlie and his dreams. And, normally, Locke would trust Charlie more. Jesus christ, is this the Locke who found the drug plane with the help of a vision? Seems not.
    And one thing makes this worse; the fact that Locke's out of character only in this episode. If you watch the upcoming episodes, you can see that he's perfectly 'normal'...

Anyhow, Charlie was terribly out of character too. Why the hell light a forrest on fire? I think asking Eko to talk with Claire about baptising the baby should have been enough. Not to mention the cartoonish scene when Charlie attempted to take Aaron from Claire. That was incredible. And what could have Charlie done? Baptise Aaron without anyone noticing. Come on. Give me a break.

Charlie's flashbacks dealt with him taking care of his brother. It was really sad, especially at the end, Charlie was betrayed. Just like on the island. Although,I must say, Charlie's stupidness on the island deserved those punches from Locke.

The religious tone of the show isn't bothering me at all, it's actually pretty nice, and gave the episode a very special taste. It could have been brilliant. Because the main idea was good. So I guess if Damon or Carlton wrote it, it could've been much better. But this way, it's only a 6.0, lowest I gave a Lost episode.
  • Although no where near one of the best episodes of Lost it's still a great episode to watch

Alot of people absolutly hate this episode because it's boring and pointless, i loved it. Charlie is one of my favourite characters and i never miss a second of his flashbacks. It makes mad to think that people didn\'t like this episode, it was fantastic it really showed the relations between each of the characters. Including Charlie\'s trust in Mr. Eko and the person who Charlie really admired (Locke) he is now losing trust in him.

Over all a great episode, although it was slightly boring the writers have to take the time to explain each small detail or it would be very hard to follow along.

Sayid: Fire!

LOST
  • Slow, and boring.

The baby Aaron gets baptized, that's pretty much all you need to know about this episode. But i have to write more. Charlie thinks Aaron is in danger because of his reacurring dreams. So while sleep-walking he takes Aaron a couple times only to be woken up by Hurley. Locke takes Charlie's Virgin Mary heroin statues and puts them in the gun room, for future therapuetic purposes. Overall, this episode was tiring and Charlie's character was badly written. Obviously they needed a filler episode and this was it. This is definately one of the worst episodes of season two so far.. I cant wait until season three starts..
  • Worst episod eof lost yet! Awful!

Verocchio\'s The Baptism of Christ hangs on the wall, as a pair of slippered feet whisk young Charlie down a flight of stairs on Christmas morning. His brother Liam is already hard at work ripping open his presents. But while Liam opens a Voltron toy, Charlie finds nothing for him. That is until his mother leads him to a brand new piano, calling Charlie \"special\" and declaring that someday he will \"get us out of here.\" The flashback mutates into a surreal dream, as Charlie sees both Liam and then himself change into their adult selves. His family members admonish him to play, but before he can begin, an image of his father as a butcher appears, announcing, \"He ain\'t savin\' no one, he is.\" After cleaving pieces of meat, his partially unseen father cuts off the head of a doll. Charlie is again told to \"save us\" by his brother and mother. After striking a few notes, the scene changes to him playing the piano on the island\'s beach.

Charlie hears the cries of infant Aaron coming from within the piano. As he tries to open the top, his left hand shows gauze tape with the word \"fate\" written on his fingers. The piano washes out to sea, with Charlie waking from his nightmare. He runs to Claire\'s tent and finds it and Aaron\'s cradle empty, frantically questioning Sun where the two are. He sees them on the beach, playing with Locke.

In flashback, Charlie is in the maternity ward, where Liam\'s girlfriend Karen has given birth to a daughter, whom she names Megan, after Charlie and Liam\'s mother. Charlie makes an excuse for his brother not appearing, but later finds him drugged up in his flat.

The band Drive Shaft is struggling, taking on a commercial gig for diapers, which Liam\'s drug habit causes them to lose. Liam arrives at Charlie\'s home announcing he\'d been kicked out for dropping his daughter. Charlie consoles him with a new song about two brothers. Sometime later, he arrives home to find his piano missing. Liam admits selling it to buy a plane ticket to Australia, where Karen\'s uncle will get him a job. He intends to enroll in a rehab clinic and tells Charlie he has to go \"for his family.\"

Back on the beach, Sawyer teases Hurley about his attraction to Libby, and comments to Kate on Jack\'s increasing time spent with Ana-Lucía.

Charlie is playing his guitar by the sea, when he hears the faint cries of an infant. He sees Aaron\'s cradle being tossed between the waves, and swims out, bringing Aaron back to shore. His mother and Claire appear on the beach, as the angels from the Verocchio painting. They repeatedly tell Charlie he must \"save the baby.\" Hurley then appears, dressed as John the Baptist. Charlie is having another vivid dream and was apparently sleepwalking. He holds Aaron in his arms, but has no recollection of taking the baby. A frantic Claire finds them and slaps Charlie\'s face before storming off.

Hurley and Libby do laundry in the hatch. As she tries on a dress, Hurley asks if she remembers him from somewhere. She tells him that he stepped on her foot at the airport when he was rushing to get on the plane.

Charlie finds Eko marking trees, which he says are the ones he likes. He tells Eko about his dreams, and Eko says that they might mean that Charlie does need to save the baby. Charlie runs to Claire\'s tent and tells her that he thinks Aaron is in danger. He believes that they must baptise Aaron. As they argue with Kate trying to drag Charlie away, Locke looks on from the beach, as the incidental music plays up menacingly.

Jack helps Ana-Lucía build a tent, as she questions him about the incident with the Others. When he mentions that the hunting party came back after Mr. Friendly held a gun to Kate\'s head, Ana-Lucía asks, \"You hitting that?\" to which Jack demurs.

Locke follows Charlie to his stash of Virgin Mary statues. He confiscates the heroin-filled statues, over Charlie\'s claims he was going to destroy them himself. He later places the statues in the hatch\'s gun cache after having changed the combination to the door\'s lock.

That evening, Charlie walks out of the forest moments before a fire erupts. While everyone is distracted by the fire, Charlie steals Aaron from Claire and runs to the ocean. Claire runs after him screaming. After Locke persuades Charlie to give the baby back to Claire, he punches Charlie in the face repeatedly. Charlie is left lying in the surf, as the rest of the castaways turn and walk away.

The next morning, as Jack stitches his face, Charlie admits starting the fire. He adds that, despite wanting to, he never actually used any of the heroin. Claire finds Mr. Eko and asks him to baptise her and Aaron, and Eko does so.
  • While Lost does have bunch of filler episodes, this one wasn"t only a filler - this episode was a boring filler.

It's alwyays interesting to look into the past of the Losties. Sometimes its more surprising than we thought. Just look at Hurley.

However, Some people's story is just plain simple, and one episode is far enough to tell it.

Charlie is one of them. This episode could have been much stronger with a decent flashback plot.

His flashbacks told us nothing new. He fought against the drugs, with a little success, but his brother couldn't. They struggle. They struggle searching for ways to earn money. When Charlie finds a way... write a song. But Liam leaves Charlie alone...
    ...uh. On the island, Locke finds out Charlie's secret stash, and Locke's not too happy about it.

Charlie takes the baby because in his dream 'they' told him to watch him. Eko tells Charlie those dreams are telling him to baptise the baby... So Charlie causes fire on the camp to kidnap Aaron...However, Charlie ends up getting beaten up by Locke.

This was the best part of the episode for sure. Nto because Charlie got what he deserved.. but because we seen how Locke's faith is starting to _FAIL_. And although this was a filler, it was a GREAT setup episode, because after this ep, we'll learn how John will lose his faith..
< 1 2 3 4 5