Lost

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 06, 2009 on ABC

• Did the writers of Lost just "make it up as they went along?"

This and other Season 5 episodes prove that the writers of Lost did not just "make it up as they went

The payoffs in this and other recent Season 5 episodes were set up long ago in earlier seasons.

That proves they could not have merely ad libbed Seasons 4 through 6, as some critics have alleged.

The only other time I watched Lost was when it was was first broadcast. At the time I too felt as if the writers painted themselves into a corner in the second half of Season 4.

I no longer feel that way.
  • I sure do love me some Richard Alpert as well as the new Jack! Yet another amazing installment of LOST

Follow the Leader is an epic episode and a fantastic lead in to the Finale of season 5. I absolutely love the new Jack because he doesnt take crap or scrutiny from Kate. I always use to really like Kate but this season she just seems to enjoy puting Jack down and mistreating him although she is part of the reason he's not the same person he use to be. Ben and Richard vs. Locke is setting up and epic finale between two definite power hungry people and Richard who seems to believe he is the true leader. Also, i was so glad to finally see Sayid again and i'm glad to see that he is actually on Jacks side for the time being. I love LOST and although i hate to think that after next week i will have to wait yet another eight months for my next fix, it truly seem as though this finale will be extremely special just like all of the past season finales of LOST.
  • Lets pause at the creators because once again they proved that they can NOT disappoint!!!

Wow, this was an ass-kicking episode. I love that it involved 3 different story lines so there was definitely no time filler scenes, all the scenes were b*tchin!

Lets pause at the creators because once again they proved that they can NOT disappoint. This was the perfect set up for a 2 hour finale.

I'm starting to think that Jack's plan may work? The writers took it this far so they are definitely planning on doing something with Jack's story line. Either they DO erase the past and move on or something crazy and unexpected thing happens like them all dying? This really makes me worried. What if they all do die? Ughh!!

The most brilliant scene was the scene that revealed to us that Locke was the one who sent Richard to himself to get the bullet out and tell him that he needs to die. Brilliant Lost scene!!!

How did Kate get on the submarine like that? Looks like they will escape and get back to the island. Oooo looks good. Can't wait for the finale...and than we wait half a year again..NOOOOO!!!! ((
  • There is so much going on in this episode that you really have to watch this to understand. What is the world is happening?

I have no idea of whats going on but I believe Jacob is John Locke. That explains why no one can see him. I guessing that when the incident happen, the was moved. When it was moved everyone went different places. The whole point of this season is the place everyone in their rightful place. Ben is a fraud, Richard (who is he?), Widmore the supposed to be the person under Jacob, and the survivors are the Others. For some reason the Dharma still thinks research is being conducted on the island. I still dont understnad whats is going to happen in season 6. As a faithful follower of Lost, everything seems to already happened. Everthing that has taken place, has already taken place. This is weird, but its interesting.
  • John is about to kill Jacob as Kate refuses to forget her son in what's perhaps the most exciting build up towarda a season finale on this show.

Dharma 1977, Jack & Kate get caugt by Widmore just moments after Daniel Faraday gets shoots, back at Dharma, the facade is starting to fall as Dr. Chang joins his son Miles and his friends Jin and Hurley while the LaFleur experience first hand the full paranoia of one Stuart Radzinski.

Convinced at last that Faraday's plan is the only change Jack has to save everybody Kate is alienated by the possibility to erase everything she has experienced for the past 3 years including "her son" Aaron, she ends up in the sub with Sawyer and Juliet ready to leave Jack on his own for the very first time since they met.

However, the big shock of the evening belongs to a 2007 John Locke who has finally figured out how to stop all of this: Kill Jacob. Notice how, as of now, Jack is the only one who remains on the island ever since before this whole mess happened...
  • Perfect Episode!

WOW!

So much thing happens in this episode. All the episode go back and forth between 1977 and 2007.

Like the new Locke, also Younger Eloise. We finally re-meet Sayid and we go under the island where Jughead id buried!

By the way how awesome is the new Duo Ben/Alpert, and what about the comic trio Miles/Jin/Hurley... to bad the show is leading up to the finale, and we're not going to see all these great characters.

I Like alot how the writers manage the Time Travelling stuff from "Because you Left".

Awesome pre-finale... Leading to a stellar Finale. Season finale of lost are always amazing!
  • Great episode. Sayid is back and John takes no crap for Ben and RA, whom both seem bothered by it. Jack starts to believe in destiny but Kate stops believing in Jack but gains Sayid, a much better choice. Faraday is shown to be dead..

So John is going to kill Jacob. IMO I believe that John is Jacob. It seems that RA is getting bothered by John and took it to lengths in a different time to tie him up, which the open eye of Jacob sees John and asks for help when he goes with Ben. By John killing Jacob he releases his old self to become new, hence being reborn in actual time. Ben's face when John said he's going to kill Jacob seemed like, "you are going to kill yourself??" That also seems reasonable since John is so in touch with the island now that he knows what comes next by previous trial and error in the time skipping. He became Jacob. This is my first post ever on Lost so sorry if I jumped a lot or missed a lot.
  • Without a doubt, the best set-up for a season finale thus far on this show.

Season 1 we had Exodus (Part 1). Season 2 we had 3 Minutes. Season 3 we had Greatest Hits. Season 4 we had There's No Place Like Home (Part 1). None of these episodes even comes close to the brilliance of this episode. Some highlights include, the reaction of Eloise to Daniel being her son, Jack's complete 180 to becoming Locke, Phil torturing Juliet, Sawyer (thinking) he's leaving the island for good, Hurley's small but humorous role, and Richard and Ben trying to deal with John when he goes off the reservation. A minor thing that bugged me however...Kate is just horribly written. Sure it makes sense that she would not agree with Jacks plan, but then to walk back into the Barracks was just sheer stupidity. Another thing...I'll have to hold back judgement at least until the season finale and I see how this all turns out. Other than that it was an amazing episode. I can't wait for next week.
  • The stage is set.

Was this a Ricardos Alpert episode? Well, technically, yes... but, otherwise, no. I mean, he seemed to be the "man in the middle", and the flashes kept on going off and on on him BUT we didn't learn anything about him, Oh well! Excellent episode, anyway!

So, this was one of the best adventure episodes of the show. There was lots of moving around... and it was great! I REALLY loved how the writers went back to "Because You Left" and actually cared to explain the compass scene in detail. That was a fantastic touch.

Also, Jack became Locke - totally. If one still doesn't like Jack, I don't know what to say...
    Speaking of which, Kate might have been somewhat annoying, but she does have good points, so I can't blame her either - I like how she didn't want the past to be erased, it makes sense.

Sayid rejoining the team was fantastic. I was really missing him, and just when he's needed, he pops up. And, I also am really intrigued by this whole tunnel thing. How will the bomb be taken out? Smokey?

Sawyer, Juliet and Kate leaving on the sub, WTF. What the hell is going to happen? This is just really mindbogging. I mean they can't just leave the island.. or can they? I have no idea what's gonna happen.

And finally: Locke's plan. Remember "We have to move the island"? Yeah, the last line spoken by Locke is about as brutal as that one. A huge WTF moment to cap off the episode.
  • The "Terminator Effect" in full swing! (I've named the idea of the future and past creating each other "The Terminator Effect" even though the sequels seem to have destroyed the concept that made the first one so awesome...

I gave this a 10, because it was an amazing episode. Another reviewer asked people how they could rank their favorite episodes if they gave every episode a 10, but let's be honest, I think most episodes of LOST are worthy of a 10, and if you lower the ranking of most episodes because you want to only give your personal faves the 10 ranking, then you're really short-changing a series that is superior to most of what is on television. But enough about that and on to my episode review.

This episode leads off of Faraday's death. A beautifully tragic and tragically necessary death. Allow me to expand on this thought for a moment. Was it tragic that Faraday's mother sent him to the island knowing he would die? Perhaps to the common viewer who can't read beyond what they see infront of them. No the tragedy was that he killed himself when he charged into a camp full of armed "hostiles" with a gun pointed at the head of their "advisor". Daniel Faraday was a brilliant physicist. His actions were not being driven by a sense of logic, however, they were the reaction of his scattered brain, a condition caused by his experiments in a line of work forced upon him by his mother, who knew how he would be effected and where it would ultimately lead him. So yes it was his mother that caused his death double fold, but not by sending him to the island, but rather by starting him on a path that would lead to a condition that would ultimately lead to his death, by her hands at the very time she was pregnant with him, as we learn in this episode, if you have a good eye.

We learn that Elloise and Widmore have a "complicated love". Jack, going off Faraday's theory feels he can change the future and a conflicted Elloise, desperate to undo the killing of her son decides to aid him. What neither seem to consider is that if they stop Oceanic 815 from crashing on the island then they (Jack and company from 316) will never return to the island in the year 1977 and therefore will not be able to prevent the incident that leads to the building of the hatch and button pressing and their crashing on the island. "Whatever Happened, Happened" Whatever they are going to do, has already been done, which means they are either going to contribute to what happens or they will be riding the wave right along side it, but I think we can all agree that either way, "The Incident" is going to project them back into the future.

The episode further pushes the past and future causing each other theme with Miles' story. Miles has to watch as his father sends him and his mother away forever, knowing that it is because he and Faraday came back to the past and warned him of what was to come. Which creates the conflict of emotions surrounding his life-long feelings of abandonment and the realization that his father was doing what he had to, to protect him and his mother.

And yes John goes through a similar thing when he sends Richard to tend to his wounded leg and to inform him that he must die to bring everyone back, which leads to his attempted suicide and actual homicide. The episode is action packed, full of drama and good acting, and many levels of emotions and motivations. I find it funny that now Kate seems to be the voice of reason. I get that most of her motivation has to deal with Aaron, but it is those motivations that are driving her to keep things on track in the timeline. I did not consider the last line about killing Jacob awe inspiring, but it is certain to lead to something interesting, hopefully. It was my prediction that the smoke monster is representative of the malevolent side of the island (the island's satanic force if you will) and that Jacob was the benevolent or "god-like" entity on the island. In any event if Jacob is part of the island, as Richard and the smoke monster seem to be, it begs the questions, how would John even think that "he" could be killable? I also have to wonder, if "Dead is Dead" is John Locke dead? Is he like Christian Shepard now, some sort of representative of the island? I'm sure season 6 will deal with the mythological and mystical aspects of the island.

This is actually my first review and I'm not sure how I'm doing. Most of the other reviews summarize the episode, I'm simply throwing in my two cents about where I see all of this going.
  • Absolutely breathtaking setup for the finale.

Wow !!!!! Another great episode out of the bag. Three different stories in a single episode, and all of them making you sit on the edge of your seat. Every moment in this episode makes you think what is going to happen next.
    The episode starts from where the story ended last week with Faraday's death. We come to know that his mother believed in all the time shift thing and agreed to take Jack and Kate to Jughead.
    On the other side, Sawyer(or should i say LaFleur) and Juliet come in trouble when they're arrested and questioned. Again we see the stubborn Sawyer who refuses to say a word. He is my personal favorite character of the show. Miles finally tells his father that all they indeed are from the future. This worries him and he agrees to evacuate everyone off the island because he now sensed the impending danger.
    Coming back to the future, John Locke again proves that he understands everything better than anyone else by perfectly timing the event when he emerges out of the jungle with a bullet in his leg. Just for a change, Ben has taken a back seat and Locke is in the limelight. Richard is his usual self. Unchanged and unaffected by anything that has happened over the past 30 years. Locke decides to kill Jacob. That is surely going to be exciting.
    This episode was the perfect setup for the season finale coming up next week with the double episode. Lets see what incidents happen.
    The bits and pieces are slowly but surely coming together. The writers have once again proved their crystal clear understanding of the subject and also their brilliant imagination and creativity.
    I just cant wait for the season finale. I am really excited for it, but at the same time, i am sad that it's gonna be a real long time after that before the next episode comes. But for the moment, the stage is all set for the climax. I hope that the finale lives up to its expectations. Keep up the good work guys.
  • Jacob where are you....?

I really dont know where to start last night episode kept me the whole time on the edge of my seat.
    It was about time Sayid appears to save the day, and Chang to believe that they are all in grave danger.

That scene in the sub was awesome I KNEW Kate was about to appear, just when Juliett feels that Sawyer is now completely hers She comes and says "Hi" WOW!!!
    Hurley, Miles and Jin are hidden, Charlotte and all the women are getting out of the island. Everything is shaping like its suppose to be. (except Jack who thinks he can change eveerything).

Now who will exactly make the Losties go back to their time? Locke or Jack? umm...
    Locke has change now, he is more confident and he hears the island. The speech of was great too everyone agrees with him except for Alpert and Ben.
    I think either Jacob doesnt exist and by killing him he is just opening everyone eyes that they have been manipulated by richard or ben OR that BY killing him he is helping him, since we know that a voice was hear in the cabin saying "save me" he has been trap on the cabin or in the island and he wants to be free by "getting killed" I dont know
    cant wait to the season finale!
  • A Richard Alpert-centric episode.

Let me just start by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. I've always been really fascinated with the character Richard Alpert so I'm really glad that they finally did a Richard Alpert-centric episode. All of the storylines were great, especially Richard's which was my favorite storyline of the episode. It was great finally getting to learn some information about Richard. I usually don't like the character Locke very much, but I have to say that I loved him in this episode. I also really liked Sawyer's storyline in this episode. Josh Holloway and Elizabeth Mitchell both gave amazing performances in this episode. I absolutely loved the ending of this episode. It was really exciting! In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the season five season finale of Lost.
  • Destiny calls for the people on the island, and this episode damn well nails all of their upcoming fates with a chilling opening, a plethora of twists and the inevitable outcome of the enigmatic Jacob's unveiling.

I'm personally going to point out that no episode of lost has ever made me feel these characters than this episode. The moment Richard told Sun that he watched everyone that lived on the island in 1977 DIE, I immediate felt a lump in my chest cause the fact that the most iconic characters on the show may kick the bucket just sent me in a whirlpool of sadness.

Follow The Leader really shows so many conflicts that are no doubt going to be resolved in the two part season finale. First off, Ben and Richard are seemingly teaming up to probably kill Locke again after Locke is hellbent on finally meeting Jacob. Next we have the conflict between the Dharma Initiative team from 1977 and Lafleur (sawyer) and the others who are lost in 1977. Last, we have a pretty dynamic conflict between Kate and Jack, with Kate for the first time ever NOT joining Jack on one of his heroic deeds (maybe heroic?). All I can say is that all of these conflict will end with very bad results, results that may shake the very fabric of the Island itself.

The episode certainly had the best twists i've seen in a while both tragic and shocking. First we have that chilling reminder from Richard being that whoever is in 1977 WILL DIE. Second, Future Locke being the one who told his Past self through richard that he has to die in order to "save" the island. Third being that Kate ran from Jack in order to be with Sawyer again, a fact that Juliet doesn't want anything to do with. Last we have the biggest cliffhanger as Locke fully explains his motives to Ben which detail that he never wanted to save the others from time, but to kill jacob and stop the island for good.

In the end, Follow The Leader is quite possibly the best Pre-season finale episode Lost has yet. It raises so many questions on what the conflicts mentioned may end, it alludes to what may happen in Season Six, and it does a damn great job for the hour of making sure that this season finale is going to blow everything out of proportion.

BTW: is it just me, or was it really nessacary to place a Hydrogen Bomb, THAT FAR into the Island?
  • As usual, Lost's setups for the season finale have all our castaways moving towards different agendas. The way they can keep it fresh every year is astonishing. With Season 5, we have the most drastic implications to the show's mythology on the line yet!

Follow the leader. I love what this title implies. If you look at this episode, there are many characters this could apply to: Locke and Sawyer have both been in new leadership positions this season. The others have no choice but to follow Locke to see Jacob. Hurley, Juliet and the others at Dharma seem to be behind Sawyer no matter what his decision. But I'm glad to see Jack moving back into a leadership position with a new focus on what he must do to save them all. Even Daniel Faraday, dead as he is, will see his efforts heeded, as both the evacuation of the island, and the Jughead plan seem to be moving forward.

Picking up right where we left off, Faraday is dead, Eloise is shocked, and she seeks an explanation from the newly captured Jack and Kate. What was interesting was I noticed they re-cut the previous scene where Daniel is explaining his plan to detonate the bomb. Same scene, but this time we get a reaction shot from Jack and you should see the look on his face! This instantly clicked with him, and at that moment, he went from passive "let's see what happens next" Jack to "I now know what I have to do" Jack. "Dan's been right about everything so far," is what Miles realized when Dr. Chang asked if that nutball was telling the truth. (Cut to Faraday dead in the grass, lol) Chang and Hurley had a fun 'what year is it?' moment, but I wish the discovery that Miles is his son played out better. There was basically no reaction. So, per Faraday's orders, the island is being evacuated. And based on Faraday's notes, Jack is going to pick up where Dan left off, and try to prevent this all from happening. "Does he know what he's talking about?" "He thinks he does.."
    Heartbreaking. More on that later.

Meanwhile Sawyer is interrogated by Radzinski, Horace and Phil, who shockingly punches Juliet. It's so guaranteed that he will pay for that! It's a shame paradise has fallen apart for the lovers, but it was inevitable. Radzinski has become quite interesting. Seeing that he wants the Swan built so bad, (against Chang's orders to cease and desist) sets him and some of Dhamra up as villains- just as bad as The Others or Whidmore's people. And knowing that his fate is to spend the rest of his miserable life in that station is delicious irony. Sawyer was able to negotiate his and Juliet's release on the sub, but did he draw them the map to the Other's location? Either way, that Microstoft plan is a good idea! lol

As for Jack again, I'm glad to see him back in a proactive role- and one so important as to alter history as we know it! His scenes with Kate were phenomenal. Their history, the subtext, it was all handled perfectly. Jack, ever the hero, can possibly do the biggest fix-it job in TV history, and make it all go away. "Do you know who you sound like?" Sorry, Kate, but the bad out-weighed the good, so I don't blame him. Kate is maybe hurt but they just can't continue down this path. Does she really think she can toy with his feelings forever? Kate, love ya, but Jack is right. You don't want to be with him, so stop pretending like this is some big slap in the face. As soon as Sawyer pops up, you'll go with the goo-goo eyes again. Enough is enough. What might seem as Kate taking the logical road played to me like cowardice and selfishness. She's knows she's on a one-way ticket back to prison.

Where Kate's loyalty ended, Sayid's continues to honor. I nearly back-flipped off my damn couch when popped up agian, shooting up Others! Sayiiiiiiid! Always by Captain Kirks' side!

And then there's New Locke. Who I'm not really a fan of at all. I liked John best as the weird dude with the scar on his eye. He had knives and spoke in riddles. He played backgammon and knew when it would rain. He was wise, yet mysterious. Granted, he's probably still all these things. But the big difference is he was never cocky about it. Now he wreaks of arrogance. I guess dying will do that. I still think Mr. Big Shot leader of the Others has no idea what he's doing. Richard's concern of this pleases me. You just don't want Locke as your leader. He'll get you killed. He's already back at lying to his friends, telling them one thing, but with an entirely different agenda all together: He wants to kill Jacob! Seeing Ben still trying to manipulate the situation (his confession of killing Locke to Richard, and then flipping around and ratting out Richard to John) was a trip. I admire his persistence. Some people never change! But in his powerless state it was kind of pathetic. I wonder, it seems like he is disobeying Smokey/Alex, who basically ordered him to follow Locke's every word. I knew Ben wouldn't keep that up for long. "I'm not afraid of anything you can do anymore, Ben." I'd take that as a personal challenge! Once again, Linus is up to something... You know, I hope Locke does kill Jacob, because "Jacob" has been the most annoying mystery on the series. Here's the character that they tease and tease, but never show or explain. We get stuff like "Because Jacob said so" and that ends all conversations. He's mysterious just for the sake of being mysterious. His mystery was also a turn-off for many of my old Lost-watching buddies, so I single-handedly blame Jacob and his dumb 'phantom cabin' for tuning out some viewers of this great show, which had a lot more interesting things to offer. Show yourself! Or die!
  • 'Tis better to have never Lost than ever Lost at all?

Lost seems to revel in breaking its characters into seperate tribes around season finale time and this year, it is no exception. The lostaways have different motivations, different wants, and all of them are striving for seperate and increasingly incompatable goals that can only bring them into conflict with each other. The drama is nom-nom-nommy.

It's difficult to really take in what a rich tapestry of characters that this show has woven over the last four years. From the coniving and bitter Ben, to the mysterious Locke, the desperate Jack... all of them seem to be coming together quite nicely for the coming finale.

Even the newer characters like Elouise are quickly becoming favorites as they jockey for their own positions in the Lostiverse.

With tension this high and without an easy way out of the predicament that is brewing, the real question is "where do we go from here?" Given how entertainingly that Lost has gone off the rails this season with the time travel element, the answer is an unequivocal, "Anywhere!" and that is what makes this show so entertaining.
  • absolutely epic build-up for the finale!

Absolutely awesome episode. What I really enjoy about this season is that everything is fitting together!
    - Little Miles and his mother going off the island was caused by Miles himself!
    - The little scene where Richard tells Locke that he must die: "How do you know that there is a bullet in my leg?"
    "Because you told me"
    "No, I didn't!"
    "Well, you will"
    It's all starting to make sense now!
    - The list from season 2 (I am sure that this is said before, but I just relise now :P)with the names of James, Jack, Kate, Hurley,...)

The awesome Locke from the previous episode becomes even more awesome, he knows always exactly what to do and Ben looks really pathedic when you see the all-knowing Locke. Even Richard doesn't understand everything, I think.

Radzinski is really Crazy!!! Kate, Juliet and Sawyer on the sub!!
    Finally; Locke is going to kill Jacob

I think this finally will be totally epic whith such a build-up!
  • Good riddance!

Since when did Richard Alpert become the star of the show? He was in more scenes than anybody and I think that is the first time such a thing happened with a lower supporting cast member without it being a flashback episode. That is not to say that he is not interesting in his own way, but outside of his rebellion talk with Ben he added little to nothing in all that time.

I really hope this is the end of the Flight 815 survivors running around in Dharma jumpsuits. This has just been a weak storyline and hopefully the finale changes things so we don't have to see Horace ever again!
  • Excellent builder for the finale !!!!!!!

I must say this week's episode of Lost was absolutely superb. It appears watching this show for five years is really starting to pay off and I feel sorry for those who did not give it a chance. This week we see Locke take his rightful place as the leader of the others/hostiles. The bickering between John and Ben during this episode is well orchestrated and provides a real sense of tension between the two individuals. It won't be long before the two colide and this should make things very interesting. Locke now sees through the lies that Ben is so able to weave and you can tell that this is beginning to frustrate Mr Linus. Another highlight of the episode is Jack becoming a man faith. For seasons it has been Jack versus Locke but it seems that Jack has now come to terms that this is there destiny. It was great to see the temple again bringing the true mythology of Lost to life. Jack teaming up with the 1977 others is a great plot and it consolidates that he is no longer the same character who first arrived on the island. Sawyer and Juliet's scenes were also very impressive especially during the interrogation. You could really feel for the characters and they provided some top notch acting. It was also nice to see Pierre Chang finding out that Miles is his son. The return of Sayid was welcomed after week's of not knowing the fate of our lostie torturer. He will no doubt have a big role to play in the finale. Finally the most fascinating scene of the episode is Locke admitting that he is going to kill Jacob. Considering we don't know who or what Jacob is this will hopefully fill in the gaps. Something tells me a knife is simply not going to cut it. Honestly I think this was an excellent filler before the finale and it has really made the Lost universe more dynamic. This shall be one of the best season finales period and will hopefully do a good job of setting us up for the next and final season of Lost.
  • Finally, the Dharma story is starting the culminate. The season's in for another perfect finale. Let's hope Evangeline's "biggest twist interview" comes to life.

Finally, the Dharma story is starting to culminate. The season's in for another perfect finale. Let's hope Evangeline's "biggest twist interview" comes to life.

I must admit, I was eager to see how the Dharma plot was going to play out. These last few episodes didn't seem to hold my attention very much, even though I liked the story overall. It could have been told in a much more interesting way, but I think they probably didn't want us to find out too much.

Let's talk about 2007 first. "Locke" is a superb character now. Not that he wasn't in the past, but he is a/the leader now. And it suits him perfectly. As for Ben and Richard... I've always considered Alpert to be a positive guy, but now, considering the powerless Ben, I'm pretty scared. Ben was a mastermind, but now, when he has nothing, he frightens me. A lot. The scene from "Because You Left" was really amazing now and I got the chills.

Jacob, Jacob... I tend to think he's just an imaginative leader, but the evidences pro and con exist in the same time.

1977. Kate almost died. Damn it Sayid, why couldn't you be a Hostile?! Never mind. Kate actually (and finally) confessed she doesn't really want to get back to her old days (and ways, seeing she is such a peaceful person now). Dear God Freckles, you figured that out now?! And Jack... you were a pathetic man before. What are you reasons to wanting to "go back"? Stupid. And pathetic. Ridiculous. Hurley and Pierre... priceless. That's really all I want to say. Eloise, Charles, Richard... cool as ever, intriguing more than ever. Poor Daniel. An innocent victim. The tunnels were a bit of a tease. The Juggernaut was haunting. I hate Radzinsky. Really hate. I've never hated anyone on Lost so much before they showed him. Lucky me he blew his head up.

Sawyer and Juliete... Nah. I want a happy ending here, but that really isn't an option. They're sweet, they have chemistry, they have a future. But not as long as they're on the Island.

All in all, the pieces are ready. Let's see who/what Jacob is, what happens with the Juggernaut, how did the Incident happen (and will it happen in the same way, if it didn't) and is WHH really true? Stay tuned to Lost.
  • The doomsday clock ticks down

After the thought-provoking events of the previous episode, it makes sense for the writers to step back a bit and prepare for the finale. This actually feels more like the first hour of the finale than an episode in and of itself, but that's largely the effect of the serialized nature of the series.

The entire season has been split between the events in the past and the events in 2007. The vast majority of the story has been set in the time of the Dharma Initiative, however, which suggests that the events in 2007 are mostly setting up the situation for the sixth and final season. With all the foreshadowing of a final conflict over custody of the island coming in the final season, it seems reasonable to assume that Daniel's recent theory was wrong and Jack's plan will fail.

Jack is currently on an interesting journey, one that roughly parallels Locke's journey towards the end of the second season. Jack is trying to find meaning in everything that has happened, because it has defied his season of rational order. Because it appears that Locke was right about his own destiny, Jack has come to the conclusion that they all have a destiny to fulfill, and he's trying to find one that can restore his former certainty.

The irony is that Jack, like Locke before him, is not truly changing. Just as Locke was still hung up on his own expectations of destiny and self-importance, haunted by the past, when he tried to take control of event in the Swan Station at the end of the second season, Jack is only changing the manner in which he tries to take control over a situation. He talks about destiny, but he's more interested in denying the last three years of his life than learning from them. In terms of the redemptive theme of the series, Jack still hasn't made the turn.

With regards to the rest of the Oceanic Tribe, the situation at the Dharma Initiative is rapidly spiraling out of control. It's a bit surprising that it took so long for someone to use Juliet against Sawyer, once it was clear he wouldn't talk. It's one of those standard interrogation techniques (hurt a loved one to convince someone with a stiff upper lip to talk), and Horace wasn't above questionable methods with Sayid. It's also surprising that they agreed to let Sawyer and Juliet leave on the sub, and didn't bring up the fact that Sawyer, Juliet, and the rest of their friends just showed up one day, three years earlier!

Similarly, Pierre Chang's decision to believe Daniel's story was a little convenient, since there was nothing concrete to base that decision on. Questioning Hurley was a smart move, and one of the more amusing moments of the episode, but it still seemed a bit too smooth a process. That said, it does close the loop on the question of when Miles and Charlotte left the island. It's not entirely clear how Kate convinced Radzinsky or Horace to put her on the sub as well, or why Miles, Jin, and Hurley didn't attempt the same, but there wasn't necessarily time to cover those details.

It's good to see more of the tunnels under the island, dating back to ancient times. One might assume that this is how Cerberus gets around, since it's source is also underground. Richard specifically mentions that there is a way to get Jughead out of the tunnels, but it's not the way they came. It could be that they don't get the bomb anywhere near the site of the Swan Station, and instead, at the time of "the incident", it is closer to a portion of the tunnels close to where the statue once stood. That could, in turn, link to Ilana and Bram's gambit in 2007. (Radzinsky's decision not to take the warnings seriously could, in turn, explain why he chose to man the Swan Station for so long, and what ultimately drove him to suicide.)

The events in 2007 hint at some possibilities for the direction of the sixth season. Clearly, Locke's attempt to find Jacob and kill him is a big deal. This seems like it comes out of left field, but that's not necessarily the case. In "The Man Behind the Curtain", in the third season, Jacob specifically asks John to "help him". One possible implication is that Jacob serves the will of the island, but no longer willingly. He may do what is necessary for the good of the island, but he may have been doing so for so long that dying and passing that mantle to Locke may be his personal design.

The fact that Ben never actually spoke to Jacob is therefore an important clue. Ben was never supposed to be the leader of the Others; he took on that mantle because Locke wasn't ready. The island chose Locke, by whatever means it might do so. It's a fair bet that Charles Widmore never spoke to Jacob either, leaving only Richard as someone who has supposedly talked to Jacob or knows Jacob.

The devotion to Jacob, then, is akin to devotion to a legend. It touches on the various "Wizard of Oz" references associated with the Others. What if there is no Jacob? Or, rather, Jacob is not what he appears to be? The ship in a bottle at the beginning of the episode seems like an intentional reference to the Black Rock. Could Jacob and Richard have arrived on the island on the Black Rock, with Jacob chosen by the island at that time to "interface" with whatever was already there, dating back to ancient times?

After all, the Others all seem to come from a roughly modern time, which implies that they were absorbed into an existing population. That's not a new observation, but it's been an open question of when the "original" population arrived. It could have been the Black Rock (which would, in turn, provide a connection to Hanso and the Dharma Initiative), and then a series of subsequent arrivals of smaller populations. After all, there's no indication that people didn't come across the island between the late 1800s and 1954.

Touching back on some early theories (from the reviews for the first season episodes), the island may be inhabited by a non-corporeal entity, and that entity may be acting through Jacob. It may only be able to act through the bodies of the dead. If Jacob died when the Black Rock came to ground on the island, and then was resurrected by some ancient consciousness that is "the island", that could explain why he is so revered. Since Cerberus is already something of a non-corporeal entity, it's not completely off the beaten path. That would explain the "modern" look of the Others, while still preserving the implied ties to the ancient past.

It may even explain why Richard is worried about Locke's intentions. Richard may not be the leader, but he certainly holds power as one who does appear to know Jacob very well. Richard may not have understood that he was helping to choose Jacob's replacement, and he may be devoted to maintaining the status quo.

The wild card at the moment is Ilana. Ilana is very likely looking to retrieve Jughead. One possibility, already noted, is that she is working with Eloise Hawking. However, it may not be a matter of controlling the island; instead, based on recent revelations, it may be connected to Hawking's understanding of space/time and her desire to ensure that events unfold in past, present, and future as they must. Ilana's activities might factor into the return of the Oceanic Tribe to 2007.

Alternatively, Ilana's team might be connected to Richard. As it stands right now, beyond Jack and Sayid, he would be the only other person to know Jughead's location at the time of "the incident". Considering that Ben and Locke were gone, and Richard never expected to see either of them again, he could have wanted to take custody of Jughead to bolster his own control over the fate of the island from threats like Widmore.
  • GREAT episode!

I thought Sayid's moment right after he says 'I killed Ben' and Kate says they saved him, it was priceless, that expression of "WTF guys! wow..." I was dying to put those words in his mouth.

The one thing that drives me nuts is the amount of circular time-loops this show has to fill up...So we know that the Miles-Chang loop is closed, the adult Ben-influencing-Sayid-to-kill-him-forcing-the-losties to-send-him-to-'otherize'-him-and-cause-him-to-grow-up-to-be-'bad'-in-the-first-place, the whole Eloise sending Daniel to die at her younger self's hand, Locke telling himself his destiny off the island, Charlotte's unavoidable death, etc, is getting out of hand. Not saying filling the gaps/answering questions is bad, but I'm sure we want the linear, present story to continue. We saw only a bit of the 'present' in this episode, with Locke going out on his new purpose, which was fine i guess. I kinda got lost as to where the continuation of the actual timeline is, since the losties got rescued at the end of season 4 (I won't consider the 'present' the time on the island where locke is resurrected until the backbone of the oceanic six's story is finished/filled up).
  • The penultimate episode of the penultimate season is yet another great one.

The episode begins with the closing moments of last week's one. While I normally don't like this trick, (especially considering the previously sequences) it worked here as it was shown from Jack and Kate's perspective instead of Dan's and their subsequent capture. It should probably be pointed out to someone that we're well aware Widmore is the bad guy, but they keep showing him as a complete villain on the island. He smacked Jack in the face completely unnecessarily as Jack had his hands up, clearly the writer's are making sure we don't like this guy!

Back at the barracks Sawyer and Juliet were being held for questioning. Seeing a main character badly beaten is never a nice site, but it was only a few cuts and bruises which'll probably have almost healed by next week. Then there's Phil who's making a good case for being more of a bad guy than Widmore! While I'm a bit surprised it took them so long to start on Juliet I think the point was the other Dharma guys (mainly Horace) simply aren't bad guys.

Elsewhere on the island Hurley, Jin and Miles were getting ready to head to the beach when Dr. Chang found them. It seems that the two hours he's had to think since Daniel ambushed him were enough to convince him the twitchy scientist was telling the truth. Still, like 24, a short timeframe is needed due to the small amount of time each episode covers. Of course it was all validated by the superb way he got Hurley to admit they were from the future. It wasn't too hard to get Hurley to confess, but it was beautifully within character. We know Hurley isn't the quickest thinker under pressure and he doesn't like lying so him blurting out the truth was perfect and hysterical!

After being captured and very harshly treated by a nameless Other Jack told Eloise what she needed to hear about them being from the future. While Hurley's admittance was done with humour, Jack's was done more tactfully. To keep the show within some semblance of reality it couldn't be easy for Eloise to believe him, nor for Jack to tell her. As usual though the scene was written brilliantly and worked believably. Credit to all involved, especially the woman who plays Eloise. Having only been on the show for one episode and to manage to portray a character that's already been played by two other actors so well can't be an easy thing to pull off, and yet she managed it. Her English accent seemed to have improved a bit from last week too (always need to have a pop at the accents!).

Then Eloise, Richard, Kate, Jack and the nasty Other go out into the jungle to find the hydrogen bomb, but not before we get confirmation that Ellie and Charles are a couple at this point in time. While not a huge point (I think most Lost viewers could've guessed how they both had a son) it was a nice bit of confirmation to fill in a small blank. As they reach their destination Kate refuses to go any further, acting as the voice of reason. This makes complete sense seeing how far Jack seems to have gone; as Kate points out he's taken over Locke's old role on the show as the believer. Of course the Others don't want her to leave after finding out one of their secrets and threaten to shoot her. The gun sot goes off without seeing exactly where it hit. This is another trick I'm not always a fan of, as it seems like a cheap way to do a reveal, but it actually worked mainly due to how awesome the reveal was!

I new Kate wasn't going to get killed but she may have been hit in the leg or something, so to then show the Other hit the ground and reveal Sayid arise from the bushes holding his gun was superb! As already mentioned that Other was made particularly unlikeable which gave his death extra impact. Add to that to then see Eloise and Richard's expression of both shock and fear that someone actually got the drop on them was amazing! Having missed a few episodes super-Sayid returns in fantastic style!

So Kate decides to leave and Jack and Sayid (who know seem to have made up) go with Eloise and Richard into the underwater cavern to find the bomb. The cavern looked very similar to the Monster's lair with more hieroglyphics about and I'm sure I'll need to watch the episode again to take in everything that was seen around the bomb.

After Dan's warning and Miles and co backing him up, Dr. Chang evacuates all non-essential personnel from the island including his wife and son. Miles seeing his father save him and his mother and that he had to yell at her to get it to happen was well played. It could've worked as an overly emotional moment with Miles crying or something, but considering the pace of the episode a small moment was all that was needed. So the people on the submarine include Kate, Sawyer and Juliet and it appears to be well on its way back to the mainland. However despite seeing the CGI sub submerge I'd wager those three will find a way off of it and back to the island.

Of course unlike most episodes since the time travelling stopped this one didn't just take place in the 70s. We got to see a fair bit of action from the present day island (or 2007/8 more accurately). There was a nice bit of plot hole filling with Locke telling Richard where to find him from the season premiere. I was a little bit worried this was going to be overlooked, but ended up being played as more of a plot point than just answering a plot hole and so felt integral to the episode. That said I don't think we needed to see as much of the stock footage as we did, even though we can know read more into Nestor Carbonell's performance. Also it would've been nice to actually see Locke disappear from an outside perspective and this seemed the best time to show that. Unfortunately it seems the Lost crew are as against showing teleportation type effects like this or the apparitions appearing as the Supernatural crew are when it comes to Angels vanishing.

There was also a few smaller points addressed in the present. For example confirmation that from the Other's perspective Locke has been away for three years. While I can't imagine they'll have time to show what has happened in that period on the island next week, hopefully it will be addressed next season. It would also seem that the castaways the Others took haven't been experiencing the time jumps as everyone else did. Again this is something that will hopefully get answered; why only some characters were jumping through time and not all of them.

While the present day stuff did take up almost as much screentime as the 70s stuff, there were really only two big moments. The second was Locke demanding to be taken to Jacob and having all of his people come with him. This felt like a nice moment for Locke that fully fit in character as he's never been one to keep people out of the loop. Of course it doesn't go over well with Richard or Ben. It also gives us yet another large trek into the jungle for the finale, reminiscent of both season 1 and 3, maybe it's an odd numbers thing! Of course Locke's real reason for visiting Jacob is revealed to Ben in the closing moments: that he wants to kill him. While telling Ben this would seem like a mistake it's necessary for the audience to know it. That said maybe it's a bluff. Maybe he knows what en will do with this information and be able to use that against him, who really knows?

So the episode managed everything it needed to then. It told a solid story involving almost every main character and set everything up nicely for next week's finale. Hopefully we'll get more information on why Locke wants to kill Jacob as it seems to have come out of nowhere a bit, but I'm sure we'll get a satisfying answer. Add to that the threat of what's happening in the past could well unravel the future, although I seriously doubt it. The writer's would have to be on many different drugs to think that negating the last four years of the show would be a good idea!
  • Now to think this isn`t even the finale!

Wow Lost! The best thing of TV right now. This is just the set up for the finale and it was so fantastic.
    Will Jack and Sayid succeed in changing the course of history? I hope not! I totally understand Kate`s point. We don`t want everything to be forgotten, hell no.
    Will Locke succeed in his new quest?? And what a quest is it: Killing Jacob. My guess is that he would eventually not because Jacob is a familiar figure.
    And where the hell are Kate, Sawyer and Julliet going? Am sure they`ll be in the party too for the next 2hrs of lost! I cannot wait!
  • Simply epic! So many amazing scenes, dialogues. Emotive, action packed, full of suspense. It will give you big anticipation about the end of the season. Possibly one of the best episodes ever.

Wow! I'm amazed. This episode simply shows how amazing and rewarding Lost is for those who followed it through all its 5 seasons so far.

To begin we have Locke back. And every episode with Locke is already a great one. And even better, he is there along with Ben and Richard. Three of the elite, best of the best and more intriguing characters on the show. What I like more is how self confident Locke is now. How he treats Ben like his dog and even is very sarcasting and bossy with Mr. Alpert. It's so cool to see Ben and Richard which always seemed to have extra sensorial perception in the way they anticipate, manipulate and are so secretive. Locke is really the leader now. Seeing Ben's reaction when Locke said him he is going to kill Jacob was priceless. Now more questions for us: Why Locke wants to kill Jacob? Is Richard good or evil? What is really the objective of Ben? Now let's come to 1977 and see how hell is set loose on Dharma village and also on Hostiles territory.

Radsinsky (however it's spelled) is really a bastard and took control. Poor James and Juliet. We really feel for them in the interrogatory.

Dr. Chang gets to know that the losties are really time travelers. It was funny that he asks Hurley who is the president of the USA! lol. And he gets to know that Miles is his son. Miles gets to see why his dad "abandoned" him and his mother. These scenes have been short but very emotive. Now Dr. Chang knows he has to evacuate every one from the island!

Eloise Hawking knows from the losties that Daniel was really her son and has the intention to change future along with Jack. Kate doesn't share the idea and goes back to Dharma.

Can they really change the future? What consequences will their actions cause? It's so amazing to see everything shaping up so well like pieces of a big puzzle. Big revelations are being made, but we still have lots of questions, but it is great to see the season coming to an epic conclusion. This is probably one of the best episodes ever thanks to every thing that happens in just one episode. It's full of fantastic moments and has a really epic feel to it which shows us why Lost is the best thing on TV and probably in any media!
  • Jack seeks help to get to the bomb, while Sawyer and Juliet are sitting on information Radzinsky wants to know, and Locke makes his debut as the Others/Hostiles leader (hence the name). A non-centric episode, even though Richard was quite prominent.

Like in every season, the penultimate episode acts as a set-up for the finale, and what a terrific job it did. Really, I think it's the best episode of the season, so far, that is. It just took my hopes right up for the finale.
    I've never been a Jack fan, but I've enjoyed his scenes much more than I ever would have thought. Maybe he just needed a purpose, that's possible. But the fact of the matter is, now he does what he does for a reason. He's looking forward to something (blowing up a hydrogen bomb), while in previous seasons, he had no idea what the hell he was doing. Now, at least he thinks he does. And Sayid in that storyline was as great as Jack. He so tired of this whole Island stuff, he doesn't care about anything anymore, not even killing everyone on the Island.
    Meanwhile, in Dharmaville, Sawyer and Juliet get beat up by Radzinsky, and Hurley, Miles and Jin try to escape. That part of the episode wasn't taking the story forward as much as the rest, but it was really good to watch, like that scene where Hurley tries to convince Pierre Chang that he wasn't from the future. That was funny as hell. And I'm not much a fan of love quadrangles, but I felt really sad for Juliet to see Kate get in the way.
    And finally, in 2007, Locke get his best episode to date. Now, he's going somewhere, like Jack in 1977. He's been going on blind faith for such a long time, but now he knows what he's doing. Now, he's a leader. I watched TNPLH yesterday and there's one thing I noticed. He was really concerned about becoming a leader. He had no idea what to do. Now the Island tells him things and he likes it. And I'm happy for him. He's been the man of faith all along, it's nice to see it come to fruition.

This episode has kept me on the edge of my seat all along, and I just can't wait to see what comes next. It did its job more than enough.
  • What will happen next? Lost is so hard to predict.

OH MY GOD!!! This was a fantastic second to last episode of the season, the show has really picked up again coming towards the end of the season. This was everything I wanted from a Richard episode (leave the back story for the final season). There is loads of great stories happening and they are all set to kick off in the next episode. Jack's character this season has been excellent one of my new favourites that is something I thought I would never say. Locke and Ben are finally seen again and its always great to see them again. So excited for next wek now.
  • Season finale is close.

Curious episode.Finally in one episode we have two times 1977 and 2007. In 2007 when John Locke back to the beach at first time we can see confusion Richard Alpert, now John Locke defienietly think he is new "god" of island. Come on now he want kill Jacob ... nobody in this serial even not see Jacob so why John want kill him, maybe he know something special ... don`t know , but Ben faces when John say "I want kill Jacob" - brilliant :). Richard say about Hugo, Kate, Jack and Jin dead in past on his eyes ...

After Daniel`s death in 1977 Jack try to blow up the bomb with helping Eloise and of course .... Richard Alpert ... How the others can put the bomb in tunels :o we will see in finale I think ...
    Dr. Chang already know everything about Miles , people from future so he is evacuation the island what next ??

and stay Juliet and Sawyer... Phil beat Sawyer ( for me this scene was very funny :) ). Sawyer say Dharma where are the others and now he and Juliet are free people , they going to submarine and wait to set sail but when everything look`s good ... Dharma catch Kate and put her in this submarine...

reaaally curious episode , maybe little too complicated but now we must waiting for BIG finale !! :)

"The Incident" is coming in 3 days :)

• This was a great episode because it really got you anxious to see the finale. What Locke tells Ben at the end of the epidsode was the greatest jawdropper of the season!

One of the best things about the Lost series is its ability to leave you dangling at the end of every episode as if it were the last of the season; this episode brings that characteristic out to the tee.

As you continue to watch this episode you really realize that elements are beginning to come together and that the show's main vision is about to come to a head. This is done by very good writing for this episode. Even though the most action packed moments were in the "1977" segment for this episode, it was greatly balanced out by the current "30 years later" segment becuase of the great undertone of suspense that John's character is bringing to the show.
    As you watch him during the last couple of weeks you just feel that he knows so much (especially after what he tells Ben he is about to do when they visit Jacob!) and that he will reveal these known secrets in the upcoming episode. If you haven't seen "Follow the Leader" go watch it because it is reminiscient of the great jawdroppers of the first three seasons. If you have seen it, I know you're excited about the next season finale!
  • Great build up to the finale next week.

This was an exciting twisting and turning episode which had me watching open mouthed most of the time. It is a fact that Lost is a show that is so well written that it hooks you in and makes you want to know more. The finale is going to be great. I'm liking Eloise from the past more and more (even if she did shoot her own son). Locke seems to be in the ascendancy but you can never tell with Ben, or Richard for that matter. I simply can't wait for the last 2 episodes which are going to be great, I know!
< 1 2