Lost

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 06, 2009 on ABC

• The "Terminator Effect" in full swing! (I've named the idea of the future and past creating each other "The Terminator Effect" even though the sequels seem to have destroyed the concept that made the first one so awesome...

I gave this a 10, because it was an amazing episode. Another reviewer asked people how they could rank their favorite episodes if they gave every episode a 10, but let's be honest, I think most episodes of LOST are worthy of a 10, and if you lower the ranking of most episodes because you want to only give your personal faves the 10 ranking, then you're really short-changing a series that is superior to most of what is on television. But enough about that and on to my episode review.

This episode leads off of Faraday's death. A beautifully tragic and tragically necessary death. Allow me to expand on this thought for a moment. Was it tragic that Faraday's mother sent him to the island knowing he would die? Perhaps to the common viewer who can't read beyond what they see infront of them. No the tragedy was that he killed himself when he charged into a camp full of armed "hostiles" with a gun pointed at the head of their "advisor". Daniel Faraday was a brilliant physicist. His actions were not being driven by a sense of logic, however, they were the reaction of his scattered brain, a condition caused by his experiments in a line of work forced upon him by his mother, who knew how he would be effected and where it would ultimately lead him. So yes it was his mother that caused his death double fold, but not by sending him to the island, but rather by starting him on a path that would lead to a condition that would ultimately lead to his death, by her hands at the very time she was pregnant with him, as we learn in this episode, if you have a good eye.

We learn that Elloise and Widmore have a "complicated love". Jack, going off Faraday's theory feels he can change the future and a conflicted Elloise, desperate to undo the killing of her son decides to aid him. What neither seem to consider is that if they stop Oceanic 815 from crashing on the island then they (Jack and company from 316) will never return to the island in the year 1977 and therefore will not be able to prevent the incident that leads to the building of the hatch and button pressing and their crashing on the island. "Whatever Happened, Happened" Whatever they are going to do, has already been done, which means they are either going to contribute to what happens or they will be riding the wave right along side it, but I think we can all agree that either way, "The Incident" is going to project them back into the future.

The episode further pushes the past and future causing each other theme with Miles' story. Miles has to watch as his father sends him and his mother away forever, knowing that it is because he and Faraday came back to the past and warned him of what was to come. Which creates the conflict of emotions surrounding his life-long feelings of abandonment and the realization that his father was doing what he had to, to protect him and his mother.

And yes John goes through a similar thing when he sends Richard to tend to his wounded leg and to inform him that he must die to bring everyone back, which leads to his attempted suicide and actual homicide. The episode is action packed, full of drama and good acting, and many levels of emotions and motivations. I find it funny that now Kate seems to be the voice of reason. I get that most of her motivation has to deal with Aaron, but it is those motivations that are driving her to keep things on track in the timeline. I did not consider the last line about killing Jacob awe inspiring, but it is certain to lead to something interesting, hopefully. It was my prediction that the smoke monster is representative of the malevolent side of the island (the island's satanic force if you will) and that Jacob was the benevolent or "god-like" entity on the island. In any event if Jacob is part of the island, as Richard and the smoke monster seem to be, it begs the questions, how would John even think that "he" could be killable? I also have to wonder, if "Dead is Dead" is John Locke dead? Is he like Christian Shepard now, some sort of representative of the island? I'm sure season 6 will deal with the mythological and mystical aspects of the island.

This is actually my first review and I'm not sure how I'm doing. Most of the other reviews summarize the episode, I'm simply throwing in my two cents about where I see all of this going.