Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Am I the only one who feels we got all the answers?

MatthewRobert4

[1]Feb 28, 2012
    • level: 1

Everyone keeps saying LOST gave no answers, but when I think back I feel I understood everything and their is no loose ends for me? A lot of people seem to disagree but I can honestly only think of a few minor things that weren't resolved.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lion_Turtle

[2]Mar 20, 2012
    • level: 2

After watching the show through almost three times, I can say that all the questions are either answered directly or through reasonable assumptions. If anyone still has any specific plot questions (and still pays attention to this show) then I'd be happy to give examples.

Nickylucas

[3]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 23

I'm about to watch the final episode and I feel pretty happy about the answers I've gotten so far. All the major ones are answered.

We know what the monster is.

We know what the Black Rock is and where it came from.

We know what the whispers are.

We know who Jacob REALLY is.

We know why Jack saw his father in the beginning of season 1 and the times he was seen in season 4 and 5.

We know what happened to the Dharma Initiative and what The Incident is.

We know what the entire Wildmore vs. Ben conspiracy and war was about, and it was wrapped up in season 6.

We know why Richard/Jacob can never age (though it's explained vaguely)

We know why the island needs protection (magical light, still don't know what it is though)

We know why they were never rescued.

Everything we don't know, like how Polar Bears are on the island, can be answered with a bit of thinking. If the island is always moving, maybe a Polar Bear hopped on to it at some point and adapted? Reasonable enough.

I think Lost did answer enough. Now all I have questions about is the plot, which I am hopeful that it will all be answered. Now, off to watch the finale.

anthem47

[4]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 6

Yeah I think all the answers are there. The problem was the show wasn't clearly "fantasy" (or sci-fi-fantasy, whatever) until a few seasons in, and I thinka lot of fans got onboard expecting very specific, concrete answers to things (despite the island healing people, the column of smoke...the show was fantasy from day one but it wasn't overt about it).

A lot of the discussions I have with people about the show always devolve into a why-chain of questions. Why was Jacob on the island? Because he was guarding the Source. Why does the Source have a guardian? Why does the guardian get granted immortality? These aren't really questions in the same way you can't ask "Why does the Force have a light and dark side?" Sigh...because it does. A lot of questions people have wouldn't even be questions in another story. I mean I had someone ask me where the Source came from...I said that's a beginning of the universe, meaning of life type question, the show can't answer that.

The same thing with the oft-asked question "where did Jacob's mother come from?" You can't explain that without explaining who the guardian was before the mother, which leaves you open to the question where that person came from. You have to draw a line somewhere, or else you keep going all the way back to the beginning of time. Again, the show seems quite clear. There was always a Source, there was always a Guardian.

You could say the show requires some faith. Ironically, I'm not a religious person but I will accept the mythology of a show as it's presented to me. If the creators of a show say there was always a Source, then there was alwaysa Source. If Tolkien tells me the ring turns Frodo invisible, then that's what it does, I don't ask how the ring makes him invisible or why it doesn't work when he's only holding it, or how it turns his clothing invisible too.

redemer-destroy

[5]May 1, 2012

Just to let you know, the polar bears were brought to the island by the dharma initiative, that's what the cages where they kept sawyer and kate were originally for.

dimakosrou

[6]Feb 27, 2014
    • level: 7
    I don't think the show meant to give us any answers. It's an art show, not a commercial one. Everything must be explained by us.

There are major things we didn't get answers:

- What is the island? A part of magical land in a parallel dimension? The Other Side? A quantum world? What made it?

- The numbers, how are they magical bringing bad luck or winning games

- Why Dharma didn't make the Swan Station automatic

- How the Mother had magical powers, passing them down to her adopted kids

- Who built the timespace wheel (it wasn't MIB, he didn't have the chance) and what mechanism rechannels the water and the light to the point of creating a timespace wormhole

- What exactly is the Heart of the Island? Magical well that holds the island together? Emergency selfdestruct system? "Negatively charged exotic matter" ionizing water?

- Who keeps sending supplies from the Dharma Initiative? What happened to the company?

- Why the smoke monster/MIB got stuck with Locke's body?

- Who are the temple people?

And so on, and so on...

But I don't care, exactly because the show wants us to use our minds to come up with answers. It is, without doubt, my favorite TV show.

dimakosrou

[7]Feb 27, 2014
    • level: 7
    Oh, and why the temple people used to use the smoke monster to judge them but they are now afraid of it? What keeps it out of the temple and when they destroyed their... "relationship"?

2Big2Bite

[8]May 5, 2014
    dimakosrou wrote:
    I -snip-

- Who keeps sending supplies from the Dharma Initiative? What happened to the company?

-snip-

This was answered in the epilogue, its on youtube.