Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Are you happy with the end?

Were you satisfied with the ending

pyrophite

[41]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2
    The show pretty much answered nothing of the first 4 seasons. It just gave a sort of pseudo closure to the character relationships that had been developed during that time. The show asked 4 seasons of supernatural questions, then had another 2 seasons of new questions which it pretty much answered. Then tied it all together with an ending that was meant to make you feel really good on the inside, and distract you from the fact that they answered nothing about the entire first premise of the show. The episode with Jacob and the MIB was probably the only episode that attempted to at least give a little background on how the smoke monster became to be, and his relationship to Jacob. But still nothing was answered about the actual supernatural concept of anything. The show was a good run, however I'm more than a little perturbed at how they were clearly trying to distract the viewers of the first 4 seasons from the can of worms that they had opened up. And almost made an entirely new series for 2 years, that felt more like a spinoff, than a continuation of the original show.

Although looking back at Alias, JJ did the same thing there. A few seasons of pseudo mysterious science and lore. Then bat crap crazy over the top supernatural, let's kill everyone you've come to know and love, then roll credits.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Megaman200798

[42]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13
    I WOULD have found the happily ever after ending great IF they have bothered to answer SOME of the questions plaguing us. Seriously, why bother putting 6 seasons of mysterious on the show just not have it answered?

runtheplacered

[43]May 24, 2010
    • level: 1

I was hoping that rather then being in purgatory, Hurley found a way to wield his powers and make everybody "better" (i.e. Jack didn't die, Shannon, sun, jin, and whoever else that has died on the island comes back to life, etc) and that the flashforward throughout season 6 was actually the island after the events in this seasons finale.

I don't see why that's totally inconceivable. There'd be kinks to work out in that theory, but I like it. Seemed like it would have worked and wrapped up things, nicely. In the end everybody gets to go back home after all. Well, except Hurley which is now making the island awesome in his own Jacoby way. No religious themes necessary. But ah well, it is what it is.

Edited on 05/24/2010 12:30am
    Edited 2 total times.

ssa2204

[44]May 24, 2010
    • level: 6

Absolutely despised this ending. How sad and pathetic that after wasting 6 years they simply can not figure out an intelligent and imaginative ending. So, they leave basically all the mysteries unanswered save for the alternate time-line. This folks was failure to the extreme, and absolutely no different than BSG's pathetic Touched by an Angel ending. They spent so much time building up all these little mysteries, but no time figuring out how to tie this story together. They had 6 years to have figured out an ending that would be grand, breath taking extravaganza. Instead, they just said well f** you folks.

Now think for a moment, wasn't the appeal of this show partly due to all the little mysteries involved? After many simply moved on after a season or two the hardcore fans spent their time discussing the answers, or what they perceived them to be. This was no different than your standard mystery show, except the ending did not give us the whodunit. It was as if Agatha Christie wrote an ending that was no answer to the murder, but simply that the murdered had gone off to heaven...how sweet.

So, we know what the alternative time line is about...big freaking deal, this was NEVER the focal point of the show was it?

What was the island? What was the light? Who built the structure around the light? Who built the Egyptian statue? Why was it of an Egyptian god? Where and how did Jacob, his brother and mother arrive at the island? Who was the woman already there when she arrived pregnant? Why...what...nothing answered.

I am sick and tired of these talentless hack writers Hollywood employs that simply do not know how to end a story! I equally sick and tired of the whole TV industry that would disallow any writers or show creators from bringing to TV a show that was written in advance. Because every show faces cancellation (odds are greater any show will be canceled than end on it's own terms) nobody bothers to ever map out a storyline. They wing it as they go along, and you end up getting less than satisfactory endings.

FYI, learned my lesson about buying DVD season sets before a show concludes thanks to BSG. I already purchased the first 3 seasons of Lost, which will not go on Ebay or Craigslists as I will never care to watch a single episode of this POS show again. I truly believed up until the final hour that they had the ability to have written an ending that would be truly unique, original, and imaginative. Instead they simply stole Jacob's Ladder/Passengers ending. Well a big F YOU to the show's creators.

OOsteb

[45]May 24, 2010
    • level: 5

I was satisfied up until they gathered at the church. I thought " Finally, a funeral for Jacks Father " but hey, I guess it was Jacks own funeral. Everyone says they all died at different times, But if Kate was there making Jack remember, she must have died first right? What we were watching were co-inside-ing events, like as soon as they died, they remembered . Jack didn't know until he actually died on the Island, yet they were ALL waiting for him. Even Hurly was a head of Jack.

I would have preferred it ending the way it did but with every body just remembering and enjoying the concert together. The Island ending was great. Seeing as the Island didn't sink I guess it still there and some else is now protector.

Synetech

[46]May 24, 2010
    • level: 22
    Elaborate my response? I've already wasted more than enough of my life on this show, I'm not wasting any more. No, I'm not happy with the ending. The end.

pumpkin09

[47]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4

The ending to this show was pure brilliance. Waiting for those who you love and who have had the most impact of your life made it more than satisfactory.

As Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof have emphasized, it is all about the characters- it was a character driven series and I think allowing us a view into these deeply flawed characters and their stories was a real treasure. Sure, they didn't answer every little thing about the island, what happened after Jack died, etc. but I don't think that was ever their intention. They wanted the viewers to see the humanity and redemption in all the characters and the place where they all formed these bonds because that connection gave them the opportunity to meet up once again.

People who didn't like it, reflect on this "When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place" Once again, truly beautiful.

Edited on 05/24/2010 12:35am

wilddog2k8

[48]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4

Why are you ppl complaining about answers?! It was pretty obvious 3 episodes ago that half of the "questions" that u guys so DESPERATELY needed to know the answers to wouldn't be answered. Honestly, why do u even care about why there was an egyptian theme? With that siad, as far as im concerned this was a very satisfying finale. I like how they left it open to interpretation and discussion. This is my interpretation: So basically, the island was real life and everyone who survived went on with theirs until they died and met up with everyone at the church in the sideways. The island was a test of sorts, and if u passed u would end up with everyone at the end. If u think about it, every character that died on the show and that was at the reunion, died while their faith or what the stood for at that moment was being tested. Boone believing in Locke, his sister believing in her seeing Walt, Sun and Jin believing in true love and staying together, Locke believing in the islands true calling while trying to get everyone to come back, and of course Jack. Thats why Michael wasnt there, he killed libby and anna so he is still stuck on the island, which is hell if ur dead, like richard said, hence the stone cork that kept "hell"(the red smoke/light) from coming to Earth. I think the sideways was everyones individual journey to the meeting at the church. So even though when we saw it, it seemed like it was all happening at once, it was actually everyones own journey after they died. It wouldn't make sense that it was all happening at once b/c everyone died at different times, some died 4 seasons ago like boone and his annoying sister. So....yeah thats what I got from the finale. Sucks this show is over, it was great while it lasted.

CellBlocknutter

[49]May 24, 2010
    • level: 14

Not happy at all. You'd have to be a moron who never paid atention to a single thing to be satisfied with that. I absolutely feel as if I have wasted my time.

Torzhestvuyushe

[50]May 24, 2010
    • level: 11

If it was "all about" the characters and not about the mysteries, then why were the mysteries so central to the show? That's the only mystery that I want answered.

Edited on 05/24/2010 12:52am
    Edited 3 total times.

ssa2204

[51]May 24, 2010
    Torzhestvuyushe wrote:
    If it was "all about" the characters and not about the mysteries, then why were the mysteries so central to the show? That's the only mystery that I want answered.

Exactly! Face the facts some of you, without these mysteries, this show would probably have been canceled. What made this show stand out and survive for 6 years was that people tuned in and devoted their time to get answers. Absolutely no different than when people follow through watching or reading any other mystery. They want the answers to the question the author brings up. Except here these talentless hack writers had no clue to any answer save for one freaking question introduced this season....what is the alternative time line for.

Torzhestvuyushe

[52]May 24, 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type of person who needs everything answered. I wasn't expecting that to happen and I wouldn't have wanted that to happen. I have written stories where I purposefully don't answer certain questions and leave them to the reader's imagination. That was not my problem.

I also didn't have a problem with the flash-sideways timeline being a purgatory. I thought that was very interesting and I always thought there would be some element of heaven/hell/purgatory in there; I am just glad that the island itself wasn't fake. If that had happened, I would not have been satisfied.

My problem, then, was that people are beginning to act like this show was "all about" the characters and not about the mysteries. If that was the case, why were the mysteries so central to the show? That was what kept everyone interested and I didn't think that they were as unimportant as many people seem to act like they are. However, I do think they explained some of the most important parts.

Another problem I have is just the way the finale happened. I thought MIB was defeated too easily. Why was he suddenly no longer invincible? We didn't even find out what that was all about. I would have liked to have known that. I felt like the finale didn't answer much of anything.
    Here are some questions that I felt they should definitely have answered, at least in part, or at least some of these:

1) How did MIB become the smoke monster? Did he really die when Jacob pushed him into the light? 
2) Why did MIB lose his invincibility and how?

3) What was so important about Walt and what were the Others planning on doing with him? How did Walt appear to Locke when he was in the mass grave?

4) What was the nature of Jacob's cabin and who was the bearded man we saw in there? Why did Jacob say "help me"? How did the cabin move?

5) What was the nature of the Egyptian artifacts on the island? Who built the giant statue?

6) Who dropped the Dharma food onto the island in "Lockdown" to the survivors?

7) What was in that container that Ben removed from a hotel-room heater vent in "The Lie"? 

8 ) Why did the Others kidnap Emma, Zach, and Cindy?

9) What was the nature of the "lists" that the Others had, specifically Bea Klugh's list?

10) Why did Bea Klugh kill herself?

11) What did entering "77" really do?

12) Why did Ben seem to indicate that he couldn't kill Charles Widmore and yet he does? I found Charles Widmore's quick and simple demise to be a bit disappointing.

OOsteb

[53]May 24, 2010
    • level: 5

Why would this be Purgatory ? If the bomb made it so the plane doesn't crash, then this wouldn't be Purgatory. The only way this would be, would be by claiming the bomb did kill everyone that was there at that time. No, not a good Side flash ending.

Megaman200798

[54]May 24, 2010
    I thought they said they knew what they were doing way back in season one. But they had to keep adding mysteries until it go too late in the game to provide answers.

Torzhestvuyushe

[55]May 24, 2010

Megaman200798 wrote:
    I thought they said they knew what they were doing way back in season one. But they had to keep adding mysteries until it go too late in the game to provide answers.

I also didn't like the way they acted as if the flash-sideways timeline was one of the biggest aspects of the show. It really wasn't. It was only in Season 6 and to be honest, when I first saw it, I thought it was a little lame. I didn't see the point in it. I felt like the writers went through this line of thinking: "the show is too complicated, so we're going to change gears. It's no longer about the mysteries, it's about the characters." Personally, I always felt like it was about both, but it seemed like the writers wanted to abandon the "mysteries" part of the show toward the end of Season 6.

Edited on 05/24/2010 1:00am

Metusion

[56]May 24, 2010
    • level: 3
    I feel I wasted my time watching this show. I was bored with all the "character development" but only kept watching because I was interested in the mysteries.. Nothing was really answered and I figured that the writers would have had an original idea instead of the "they're all dead" stuff that was predicted miles ahead. Good for those who watched this show for other reasons, but to me it was a total rip-off.

ssa2204

[57]May 24, 2010

Torzhestvuyushe wrote:

Megaman200798 wrote:

I also didn't like the way they acted as if the flash-sideways timeline was one of the biggest aspects of the show. It really wasn't. It was only in Season 6 and to be honest, when I first saw it, I thought it was a little lame. I didn't see the point in it. I felt like the writers went through this line of thinking: "the show is too complicated, so we're going to change gears. It's no longer about the mysteries, it's about the characters." Personally, I always felt like it was about both, but it seemed like the writers wanted to abandon the "mysteries" part of the show toward the end of Season 6.

THIS.

This will be the final answer we will probably get years from now when someone associated with the show decides to come clean and confess they simply had no idea on how to wrap this journey up. They got in over their heads, and simply were too lazy to think creatively...which is what their job. WTF, their ego's would not allow them to go out and actually hire someone for the final season to come up with something original?

This is epic fail, and I just feel sorry for the sheep that will accept this ending. It was an insult to the viewers who stayed watching this show. I have nothing but envy towards those that jumped ship after the first season....I should have done the same. Had I known we would get this garbage I would never have even watched a commercial for this POS.

mack10

[58]May 24, 2010
    :
    What we were watching were co-inside-ing events, like as soon as they died, they remembered . Jack didn't know until he actually died on the Island, yet they were ALL waiting for him. Even Hurly was a head of Jack.

they weren't remembering soon as they died otherwise Locke would've been first...rather Charlie's near death on the plane triggered Desmond's memory who started triggering everyone else's memories...Jack just happened to be last and it was after Kate had died - they waited 'til they were all dead before they began collecting all of them.

mack10

[59]May 24, 2010
    ..and for those wondering, the purgatory world was an ideal world...just as Locke told Jack, he had no son, but in this ideal world Jack's relationship with his son was one him and his father never had..same can be said about Hurley's luck...about Widmore pouring Desmond some McutCheon...about Sawyer and Miles leading honest lives...Juliet helping women give birth...etc...

Megaman200798

[60]May 24, 2010

mack10 wrote:
    ..and for those wondering, the purgatory world was an ideal world...just as Locke told Jack, he had no son, but in this ideal world Jack's relationship with his son was one him and his father never had..same can be said about Hurley's luck...about Widmore pouring Desmond some McutCheon...about Sawyer and Miles leading honest lives...Juliet helping women give birth...etc...

Yes we all get that but this ending doesn't have anything to do with six seasons of Lost. If they answered SOME of the questions and it was followed by this ending, that'd been fine.