Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Are you happy with the end?

Were you satisfied with the ending

aloyoon

[81]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7
    YEP8778 wrote:

I did enjoy the ending, but I am not sure what just happen. It almost feels both the end and also a new start. Probably misunderstood what was happening. Though it seems like they died whether it was before the plane crash or at the plane crash. Desmond was able to help bring each other together when it was time to end. Christian made sure to guide them there. Jacob and the Smoke Monster were something they created, which acted as two sides of everyones personality. The ultimate goal was to be Jacob. Jacob in the last episode final had the chance to join his brother. That was my jist of it.

i don't think so please read my reply before that one you will get better picture of what happen in the finale
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

YEP8778

[82]May 24, 2010
    • level: 1
    aloyoon wrote:
    YEP8778 wrote:

I did enjoy the ending, but I am not sure what just happen. It almost feels both the end and also a new start. Probably misunderstood what was happening. Though it seems like they died whether it was before the plane crash or at the plane crash. Desmond was able to help bring each other together when it was time to end. Christian made sure to guide them there. Jacob and the Smoke Monster were something they created, which acted as two sides of everyones personality. The ultimate goal was to be Jacob. Jacob in the last episode final had the chance to join his brother. That was my jist of it.

i don't think so please read my reply before that one you will get better picture of what happen in the finale
    Do remember that part. Does make sense. I am still Losted.

FellfromGrace

[83]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2

Well I am not happy with the ending. It wasn't bad and sure it had some redeeming qualities but I just cannot stand the fact that I know they are all dead. That really, really bothers me.

Also I agree with some others. This show WAS about mysteries first and foremost. Only this season did they pretty much do a complete 180 and make it all about the characters. I'm not against that completely as I love character development but it irks me that they left a few main mysteries completely up in the air.

I would be happy to just know WHAT THE HELL the Island is. Wow, all we know is there is some shining light inside a small cave. Whopdu freaking doo. I watched 6 years for that?

Insomniac86

[84]May 24, 2010

well i thought the episode was ok it was very emotional and u always got this feeling throughout the episode that it was the end of an era, only two things that bothered me was the fact they're all dead which sucks and the whole reunion thing we never seen mr eko once this season and he was one of my favourite characters, but all in all it was a fair ending it didnt leave is hanging like the sopranos did which satisfied me

FellfromGrace

[85]May 24, 2010

Insomniac86 wrote:

well i thought the episode was ok it was very emotional and u always got this feeling throughout the episode that it was the end of an era, only two things that bothered me was the fact they're all dead which sucks and the whole reunion thing we never seen mr eko once this season and he was one of my favourite characters, but all in all it was a fair ending it didnt leave is hanging like the sopranos did which satisfied me

That's just it though. As much as I hate to be left hanging the fact that I now know they are all dead ruins it for me. Yes I get that after Jack really died some of them got to go on and life their life. Now though it simply doesn't matter. I have no desire to wonder what they did as I know they are dead. It sucks

Insomniac86

[86]May 24, 2010

yeah i understand what u mean i feel that way too it feels done now even though there were so many unanswered questions but to be honest i expected id be frustrated one way or another over the finale it happens to every tv show they never make it perfect, still none of this has sunk into me yet i still cant believe lost is over and 6 years have past from that moment i first seen jack in the bamboo field kinda makes me feel depressed knowing theres no more lost lol

aidorrocks

[87]May 24, 2010
    • level: 10
    i too am not happy. the characters coming together was good in places. but i was right about them not explaining anything, which i think was important too. we should have had some answers, we pretty much got nothing. the flash sideways for the entire season were pointless imo.

i'm now embarrassed about how many people i told that lost was brilliant. boy, am i going to have to eat my words now. the finale was a huge let down for me.

i feel ripped off.

MrPenalty

[88]May 24, 2010
    For those seeking answers i feel some pity. The episode that should have taken care of this, Across the Sea, was a failure. No doubt about it. Just like alot of people i wanted to know who built the lighthouse, temple, statue, etc.. You can't fault the finale for not dealing with though. The intention was to close out the show, and I am glad that didn't clog the finale up with explanations over trivial things and stuck to the story. Overall i am very satisified with the end. I am not a vampire, i can handle a little spirituality. Purgatory was a fair way to end the show on the happiest terms possible. So many characters have been hurt and lost over the 6 seasons it would have been hard to end it any other way without it feeling bittersweet.

greendayfoo

[89]May 24, 2010

Worst thing for me is that the show is over. Have come to know the characters so well and now they are gone never to be seen again, to me that is the greatest sadness.

Yes it didn't end the way we wanted, yes we have still got lots of unanswered questions, but sorry the programme was the characters. The volume of people who have watched the show did so for the characters, the mysteries were just an added bonus and allowed us to discuss and give our opinions on them. If the characters had been crap no one would have watched it past season 1.

Fact is the producers knew time was up, it was wrap it all up on your own terms or run until the network pulls it. Lost in my opinion was an 8-9 season show but we were never going to get that, the producers jumped the gun and set theyre own death date and by doing so didnt leave enough time to finish it properly.

As someone said previously there was only time to finish mysteries or finish characters and in my opinion they took the right choice.

To all those going a little over the top with the criticism: When will we EVER see a show like this again????????????

Yazmac

[90]May 24, 2010
    • level: 10
    I get the flash-sideways purgatory ending, I liked it, nicely wrapped up the characters. But I still don't get what the hell the island was! I see the island as being the main character and I have as much knowledge about it now as I did at the end of season 1.

Guildy

[91]May 24, 2010
    • level: 5

Happy? Hells, no! I've spent six years pimpin this show to everyone I know. "There's nothing else like it! Best show on TV ever,bar NONE."

Then I watch the finale. It's great, a little sappy, everyone's remembering what happened... Oh look, the coffin's still empty, cool. Where are they gonna go with this? What. The. **** They're ****ing DEAD? I may never watch another new show again. I think I'm just gona stick to Doctor Who. And if I ever meet the writers, I'm gonna kick them in the nuts.

Damn.... Lost sucks now.

segarion

[92]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4

I've had a day to contemplate the ending and what exactly it means as a whole. The first thing I realize about this show is that Lost is about the characters and and not completely about the island. I think everyone seems so focused on the island that they fail to realize that it is merely a catalyst, and trying to understand it beyond that is pointless. It's a catalyst to bringing these people together and sharing their lives together and creating a bond they will carry with them, literally, into the next life.

Yes, that alt world isn't exactly an alt world but the afterlife. When this show started, there has always been the conflict between the scientific approach and the spiritual view used to understand the island. In the end, the writers chose the spiritual side of coming to terms with what all these events have led to. The science just isn't enough to explain why but faith alone is enough to accept what has, is, and will happen. My spiritual take on the ending is the idea of reincarnation when they all talk about "going back." This is of great importance in its message, that although there is an afterlife, it's simply another life, and one can eventually return. And true to form, the journey isn't simply about asking why this island is but how one lives their lives because in the end, what matters is who will be there when it's time.

I know people are confused about what the island really is. Well, leave that question for another day because I don't believe this franchise is over. Will we ever have the answer to what the island is? Probably never. That's why it's called Lost. This has been the theme of the whole show and telling you everything about this island is just a cheap way of ending the series. The island is a representation of the mysteries of life and trying to understand everything about it is endless. Just like the island, when you think you've figured out an answer about life, there's always another question to be asked. We'll always strive to ask questions and we'll get answers but we'll always have another question. Just like the little kid that won't stop asking "why?" Maybe we'll learn more if there's a spin-off or a movie but would you really want to know? Is knowing the why really more important than the journey? I for myself am satisfied with experiencing this amazing show and appreciating the story of each character.

Maybe that's what's I'm taking away from it. Knowing that I will never have everything I ask about my life answered. And even if they are answered, I know I'll ask another question. It's simply a cyclical system that won't end. Stop asking why and enjoy the ride because in the end, that's what it's all about. Enjoy the island for what it is and I'll see ya in the next life, brotha.

RaviAnandarajah

[93]May 24, 2010

segarion wrote:

I've had a day to contemplate the ending and what exactly it means as a whole. The first thing I realize about this show is that Lost is about the characters and and not completely about the island. I think everyone seems so focused on the island that they fail to realize that it is merely a catalyst, and trying to understand it beyond that is pointless. It's a catalyst to bringing these people together and sharing their lives together and creating a bond they will carry with them, literally, into the next life.

Yes, that alt world isn't exactly an alt world but the afterlife. When this show started, there has always been the conflict between the scientific approach and the spiritual view used to understand the island. In the end, the writers chose the spiritual side of coming to terms with what all these events have led to. The science just isn't enough to explain why but faith alone is enough to accept what has, is, and will happen. My spiritual take on the ending is the idea of reincarnation when they all talk about "going back." This is of great importance in its message, that although there is an afterlife, it's simply another life, and one can eventually return. And true to form, the journey isn't simply about asking why this island is but how one lives their lives because in the end, what matters is who will be there when it's time.

I know people are confused about what the island really is. Well, leave that question for another day because I don't believe this franchise is over. Will we ever have the answer to what the island is? Probably never. That's why it's called Lost. This has been the theme of the whole show and telling you everything about this island is just a cheap way of ending the series. The island is a representation of the mysteries of life and trying to understand everything about it is endless. Just like the island, when you think you've figured out an answer about life, there's always another question to be asked. We'll always strive to ask questions and we'll get answers but we'll always have another question. Just like the little kid that won't stop asking "why?" Maybe we'll learn more if there's a spin-off or a movie but would you really want to know? Is knowing the why really more important than the journey? I for myself am satisfied with experiencing this amazing show and appreciating the story of each character.

Maybe that's what's I'm taking away from it. Knowing that I will never have everything I ask about my life answered. And even if they are answered, I know I'll ask another question. It's simply a cyclical system that won't end. Stop asking why and enjoy the ride because in the end, that's what it's all about. Enjoy the island for what it is and I'll see ya in the next life, brotha.

I completely agree, and one of the most important things i took away from the ending was Desmond saying "it doesn't really matter in the end". May it be spiritual or philosophical no matter what you all do on the island it really doesn't matter in the very end. And granted like everyone said, there were quite a few unanswered questions and it would have been great to answer them but like others have said Lost is a show about its characters and not all about the Island. The Island was a way the bait but the people were the meat of the show. I absolutely loved when each character met each other in Flash-sideways and had that montage moment, i know everyone felt a bit emotional when all the characters finally were able to be together in one form or another. Not the greatest ending ever but I'm satisfied with the ending. RIP LOST.

imkoolnaj

[94]May 24, 2010

To be honest, I really don't know what to think of the ending ... whether to like it or dislike it. Initially I like it because it was generally a feel good episode but after a while, I thought that is not a good enough reason to like an episode and felt kinda short changed.

However, I think I've come to the realization that endings are endings ... you got to judge them as part of the entire package ... can't judge them on their own. With that in mind, I think I'm neither going to love it nor hate it because it was just a conclusion of a pretty good package overall.

The reason to like it is because it returned to the roots of the show. For the first time in a long while, a Lost episode felt as if the writers did not just pull something out of their bum and serve it to us as if we are not smart enough. You can just imagine the writers of the show coming up with a concept some 8 years ago or whenever and you can imagine them writing an ending that is similar to this ... writing an ending that goes with the general spirit of the show.

However, there are reasons to dislike it and many aspects of the show overall. I think the biggest reason why most people are disappointed is because they hyped up so many mysterious aspects of the show and introduced so many irrelevant concepts during the course of the show that there really was not a graceful way to tie EVERYTHING up in a nice bow by the time the show ends, so they chose not to do it. I do agree that I am frustrated at the fact that many things were left unexplained but I think I am more frustrated at the fact that they were introduced in the first place. By the 4th season, you could definitely tell that the writers did not expect the show to run this long thus the reason why they started introducing random stuff.

If I had it my way, the show would have only been 3 or 4 seasons long. When I look back at it, I think there was a lot of fat that could have easily been trimmed off. The show would have benefited TREMENDOUSLY had the writers been given a strict time line of 3 or 4 seasons. I think the fact that it kinda tailed of in the middle is because unfortunately network television does not work like that.

The first season should have remained as is.

The second season should have remained as is as well for the most part.

The third season should have been a hybrid of the actual 3rd and 4th seasons.

The fourth season should have been a hybrid of the actual 5th and 6th seasons.

In conclusion, I loved the show for what it is and I am glad that the final episode kind of brought back the original spirit of the show. What I disliked though is that too many new characters and too many new concepts and mysteries were introduced during the course of the show. If I name some of the storylines and characters that I think should never have been part of the show, many people will be outraged because of integral they become during the past 2-3 seasons but I think the writers should have stuck to their guns and trusted their original ideas to carry the show throughout the length of it without feeling the need to get carried away in one dead end or another.

ajporter12345

[95]May 24, 2010
    • level: 25
    I wish people would stop complaining!

I loved the Finale, I thought it fit the show perfectly. I loved it and it made me love the show even more, the ending was really sad, yet happy, all at once!

It was truly beautiful and amazing, and EPIC!

It doesn't matter about all the questions that were never answered. Sure, I would have loved them all to be answered, but they weren't and I am not going to hate the show just because they didn't answer every little question about the island.

I thought the ending was perfect.

EliasDevs26

[96]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7
    The questions and the mythology of the island were always completely in context with the characters. There was only a mystery because it was a mystery to the characters. Walt, for example, was a kid...and like Desmond, he had something special about him. But characters made decisions and his time on the island was never fully realized. Its no different than had Widmore never taken Desmond back...he would've been a special character who helped saved the island but never did simply because he didn't want to go back. But because of Jacob and his dedication to finding a rightful successor who could actually save the island he asked Widmore to bring Desmond back to the island because Jack would need him....again, fully in context with the characters, not the audience, and that is what is upsetting people.

If you watched the show for the mystery and mythology then you'll feel ripped-off but, in the end, its because you didn't embrace what the writers intended and that is just one of those things that is nobody's fault.

As far as the "purgatory" side flashes...its all perspective and that's where the debate lies and will continue to stay. In my opinion we were seeing a culmination of what everyone needed, and after they died in real life understood they needed. Sawyer, for example, needed to be the good guy so thus he was a cop, however, his real life choices still bled into it. Jack needed to have a son, he needed to be what he never had, a good father. And if you take a look at the characters who didn't "move on" like Ben it was because he didn't find his purpose in "purgatory" yet...I would suspect that he eventually went back to Danielle and Alex and created that relationship that helped him move forward. And with the "purgatory" characters like Jack and Juliet's son...I would guess he just ceased to be. But again, that's all from what I got out of it and there are going to be many things that many people can get from it that differ from my experience.

i do think it was very telling when, on Kimmel, Jimmy made the comment about not seeing Michael in the church at the end...well, as we were told, he was stuck on the island...he never got forgiveness or redemption and never got to move on.

Guildy

[97]May 24, 2010

It's not so much that they didn't answer every little question. It's that they ignored MOST of the questions! I gotta say it reminds of the book series RAMA. Great sci-fi story about an alien ship come to take a sampl of humanity on board to study how they live, etc.. goes on through 4 books, full of passion, great characters and plots. And then you get to the end of the series to solve the biggest mystery - who's running the ship? It's God. The End. First and only time I've EVER destroyeda book. I never thought I'd be pissed off like that ever again. Until now.

Slades_Downfall

[98]May 24, 2010
    • level: 6

It was such a downer, everyone I liked in the show died. it wasn't fair. I thought it was suitable, but still depressing, one of the most downer ending's I've seen on a TV show.

avi01

[99]May 24, 2010
    • level: 26
    I`d say yes. It is not perfect , but in a way I never expected the show to end in a perfect way, unanimously well received with a totally plausible explanation. To me, it was just not going to happen. There is a slight disappointment but it was still hell of a ride. The show to me was never going to have the perfect ending, story wise. But character wise tho it was pretty perfect. They did a fantastic job if you ask me.

agriope23

[100]May 24, 2010
    • level: 9

The end was not what I had expected at all, but I thought it was so fitting for Lost. I mean a series finale is basically a way to wrap a big round bow around the entire series and I thought it was done more elegantly and believably than Seinfeld or X-Files to name a few. We needed an ending that brought everything into perspective and this really did it. FromBoone and Shannon to the more recent deaths of Jin and Sun, it was just great to see that it wasn't the end, that they were 'okay' with their deaths and how things worked out.

Someone wrote in a review of the last episode, and I agree,that people had forgotten that the show was about the characters and not the island and its mysteries.They went from strangers to people seeking each other out in the afterlife. And ifI hadn't seen it for 6 season on Lost, flashbacks and all, I'd never have understood that bond or the ending. For God's sake, all of season one is basically about them fighting and then learning to stand together. Live together, die alone. And now apparently, it's Live together, die together. Where's the surprise?

As for the loose ends, can't think of one of the top of my head. But come, on this is Lost! Use your imagination!