Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Are you happy with the end?

Were you satisfied with the ending

OOsteb

[141]May 25, 2010
    • level: 5

It must have worked. Hurley did take on the Protector roll. Like Ben said they were Jacobs rules and Hurley could make his own. I guess Jack passed it on the way Jack wanted to. I feel it's in the Touch and the belief that your it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Stottie92

[142]May 25, 2010
    • level: 4
    i LOVED the ending, I cried like a baby. But true most of the answers weren't answered but it leaves us with mystery!

lissi88

[143]May 25, 2010
    • level: 7
    HIDEOUS . I am an avid fan, do not get me wrong, but for seasons they've been telling us it WASN'T purgatory...now the best ending they could come up with was this? I have a Fatwa out for the writers seriously.... the fact I can't do anything about this just angers me more. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. Anyone who defends the writers are out of their mind.

FlamesOfFury

[144]May 25, 2010
    • level: 7
    VERY happy.

Megaman200798

[145]May 25, 2010
    • level: 13

lissi88 wrote:
    HIDEOUS . I am an avid fan, do not get me wrong, but for seasons they've been telling us it WASN'T purgatory...now the best ending they could come up with was this? I have a Fatwa out for the writers seriously.... the fact I can't do anything about this just angers me more. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. Anyone who defends the writers are out of their mind.

Did anyone find the link to where the writers said this?

akamidnight

[146]May 25, 2010

You cannot say that it was a great ending. It wasn't. Yes we got closure on the characters and what not. I'm okay with that. But the characters were only part of the show. What about the island? Didn't they keep saying how they saw the island as a character too? That character got a big f*ck you.

Was it the ending they were planning all along? Maybe. Damon admitted, very early on, that Lost was a character show, but they were told they needed to add a mystery/sci-fi element by the network. Even the original show pitch that Jimmy Kimmel had shows this. Lost was never meant to be this big ass complicated sci-fi story.

But regardless of that, they sold the show as sci-fi, and in the end, they simply didn't deliver. People spent 6 years killing themselves to find the answers, when in reality, the writers didn't have any answers at all.

I wasn't expecting all the answers. I was expecting some answers. 'Everybody died and went to heaven' just doesn't feel like a worthy conclusion. In fact, I'm almost certain that if they did this with any other ''character driven'' show, people would happily burn down ABC studios.

And that, people, is why the ending was sh!tty. In my opinion.

Megaman200798

[147]May 25, 2010

akamidnight wrote:

You cannot say that it was a great ending. It wasn't. Yes we got closure on the characters and what not. I'm okay with that. But the characters were only part of the show. What about the island? Didn't they keep saying how they saw the island as a character too? That character got a big f*ck you.

Was it the ending they were planning all along? Maybe. Damon admitted, very early on, that Lost was a character show, but they were told they needed to add a mystery/sci-fi element by the network. Even the original show pitch that Jimmy Kimmel had shows this. Lost was never meant to be this big ass complicated sci-fi story.

But regardless of that, they sold the show as sci-fi, and in the end, they simply didn't deliver. People spent 6 years killing themselves to find the answers, when in reality, the writers didn't have any answers at all.

I wasn't expecting all the answers. I was expecting some answers. 'Everybody died and went to heaven' just doesn't feel like a worthy conclusion. In fact, I'm almost certain that if they did this with any other ''character driven'' show, people would happily burn down ABC studios.

Not to mention, the writers constantly said it wouldn't be purgatory and in the end thats what it was. What the hell

NinoPasic

[148]May 25, 2010
    • level: 2

The only explenation to why ANYONE even remotely liked and accept the ending is:

1. Didn't get that the show wans't only about the characters.

2. Didn't get the show overall.

3. Are not interested in science nor answers only mystery and drama.

4.Religiousfanaticism.

5. Wasted so much time watching and think about lost that even the thougt that it was a wast of time and energy is to hard to deal with.

This is the onlyexplanationto why anybody would accept this so called ending to a Sci (SCIENCE) - Fi (FICTION) mystery drama.

I see like an insult from ABC, the show simply didn't get an ending.

Megaman200798

[149]May 25, 2010

NinoPasic wrote:

They got screwed over in the ratings. I think they got the message.

Lunatikatt

[150]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8
    Megaman200798 wrote:

NinoPasic wrote:

at least we got an ending and it wasnt abruptly cancelled...

Megaman200798

[151]May 25, 2010

Lunatikatt wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:

NinoPasic wrote:

at least we got an ending and it wasnt abruptly cancelled...

It was the loyal viewers who tuned into get some answers that made Lost stay on air.

mangodurian

[152]May 25, 2010
    • level: 1

No.. definitely not happy with the ending..

Personally I believe the scriptwriters painted themselves into a corner as far as the flashsideways thing goes.. once they started doing that, I realised they would have a difficult time finding some logical closure to it all, and I was perfectly correct..

I would have been happier if the flashsideways thing was avoided altogether, and they used that extra time in season 6 to tie up other loose ends.. and i would have been quite happy for lost to have ended with lock being killed and hurley the new jacob, and jack dead or not.. but if still alive then sharing responisibility with hurley..

however, as they chose to do the flash sideways, i think the scriptwriters could have saved themselves by having the flash sideways on equal time with the islanders (ie, the flashsideways were likely at end of 2004, beginning of 2005, wheras the island time was what, 2007, 8 9?) .. ok.. so first sync the 2 timelines (at which point the only real logical explanation is that there are actually 2 of everyone, except the ones that had died on the island.. ie 2 jacks (1 on the island, 1 off the island with a son), but ony 1 charlie, 2 hurleys, but only one juliet, 2 kates, but only one sayeed etc etc.. effectively one version on the island, and one version off the isalnd, as if the bomb really did go off then the island lostees are really a freek in the timeline, and shouldn't be there at all, but let's suppose that they are, which i can live with as the island's magical.. then once the mib was taken out and the island light turned back on, then hurley could have forced each time identity to choose which timeline they want to be on.. on or off the island.. of course jin and sun would chose off the island, as their on the island presences were clearly dead.. but hurley would likely chose to stay, but with a clear intention of going back out into the real world to fetch his girlfriend, of course.. (she obviously would not be able to chose the island presence, as she was dead there)..

back in the real world, the ones that chose the island, would just suddenly no longer be present off the island, thus sparking some further mystery for the offislanders (non lostees) who have no idea where they have gone..

of course, the lostees are the only ones that have complete recollection of both timelines, and someone like claire, could have experienced a head clearing and return to sanity after lock dies and his hold on her is broken..

basically, they could have done so much more, the scriptwriters, and really made lost the best show ever created..

sad..

akamidnight

[153]May 25, 2010
    Megaman200798 wrote:

akamidnight wrote:

Not to mention, the writers constantly said it wouldn't be purgatory and in the end thats what it was. What the hell

Oh don't get me started on that! ''We swear to you guys, it's not purgatory!'' We were conned, people... CONNED I TELL YOU!

mangodurian

[154]May 25, 2010
    purgatory as an ending? makes no sense.. when were they supposed to have died? when their plane crashed? when the bomb went off? would that mean that sayeed died 3 times? once with the plane, once in the temple and once on the sub? no.. if the official explanation of the show was purgatory, then after years of me telling everyone lost was the best show ever, i will have to admit that the ending totally sucked..

vanbrat

[155]May 25, 2010
    • level: 9

akamidnight wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:

akamidnight wrote:

Oh don't get me started on that! ''We swear to you guys, it's not purgatory!'' We were conned, people... CONNED I TELL YOU!

But wait! The writers found a loophole! The ISLAND wasn't purgatory -- the sideways reality was! Sigh...

I'll try to control myself and keep my ranting to a bare minimum. All I'll say is this -- perhaps the writers should've taken the time they spent creating and explaining a sideways reality and used it to explain the reality viewers had already been invested in, over the previous five seasons.

Seriously, five seasons creating mysteries and confounding questions about the island : the Dharma initiative, the hatch, "The Others", unborn children, etc. (ad nauseum). Then, they suddenly toss in a new "sideways world" in the last season of the series, explain the new world as some sort of spiritual waiting room for the characters to chill in before their dead souls reunite and "pass on" to the next level , and the viewers are supposed to forget all that other stuff and be happy because the characters got a resolution. Seriously? You throw this crap at us at the end of the series and hope we'll be distracted from the big picture you painted over the OTHER five seasons? SERIOUSLY???

The sideways existence was all well and good. Great reunion scenes. Great acting. Loved the emotions. But it had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ISLAND. It was a red herring. Smoke and mirrors. It was meant to distract us from the real questions -- the questions the writers created, episode after episode, season after season, to string us along in the hopes of getting answers that we never will. And, for some, it worked.

For me, I ain't drinking the kool-aid. Cool

Edited on 05/25/2010 4:12pm

Kevnay777

[156]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8

mangodurian wrote:
    purgatory as an ending? makes no sense.. when were they supposed to have died? when their plane crashed? when the bomb went off? would that mean that sayeed died 3 times? once with the plane, once in the temple and once on the sub? no.. if the official explanation of the show was purgatory, then after years of me telling everyone lost was the best show ever, i will have to admit that the ending totally sucked..

If you forget about the ending(which disappointed me also) Lost is seriously one of, if not the best show ever. No other show does what Lost did. Lost truly connected us with their characters. They actually made us care about them, weather it was their past, future, actions, feelings, ect. The mysteries they incorporated in the show kept us glued to our seats, kept us tuning in week after week season after season. Most importantly it was more than a show. It was like a journey. I felt like I was actually part of the show every time I watched it. Which is why I'm pretty disappointed with the ending. I understand the ending but it just didn't feel like I was watching Lost at that moment.

torrijos

[157]May 25, 2010
    • level: 16
    Honestly I enjoyed a lot of the episodes during the past 6 seasons but I watched the show for the mythology and the mystery so when I finally watched the finale I was expecting something, I was owed something I dare say.
    And the finale ultimately didn't deliver.

Worst finale ever? Right now I think so (then again I haven't watched every TV show ever produced), simply because it seemed to throw away everything that was build before, it's a wasted opportunity.

That was The End...
    The Wire still remains the best story ever told on television, followed by Battlestar Galactica.

P.S. : Funny how BSG suffered from the opposite ailment than Lost, trying to fit every little piece of mythology in the last episode. At least those two shows didn't rob their audience of closure (no matter how painful it was in both cases).

TheCoooler

[158]May 25, 2010

I'm So angry at one of television and films greatest talents. JJ brought us Alias, the best of the Mission Impossibles, a great re-boot of Star Trek and the most captivating of them all... Lost. I begged my girlfriend to watch it with me.... it's so good I couldn't keep it to myself.... but what the HOLY F**K was that? Why is Aaren in heaven? Because if the "flash sideways" is the cast in pergatory then Aaren was already safe with his Gran. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! By series 3 we all asumed they were dead and were told they wern't. So good cop out by killing them in a seperate time line...... ish. ANGRY!!!! Years of my life and love every minute, until the last 3 episodes. The ride became the rush to the finish.... Like me in bed.... but worse :-(

RediNNevada

[159]May 25, 2010
    • level: 2
    I'm with so many of you of think this finale sucked. It didn't answer many questions regarding the island and it DEFINITELY didn't answer any questions regarding it's cast of characters. In fact, they left too many UNanswered questions for me to look back fondly now. I feel duped. Completely taken in as a sucker. I was so disappointed by the lack of closure on so many levels that any LOST shows I had in my dvr, I promptly deleted. I don't care to re-watch anything in order to try and figure out the riddles left dangling. There AREN'T any riddles to wonder about because they're all dead. When that freakin' happened...be it the original date of flight 815 or over the course of time individually or at the end when things were coming to a head, who the heck knows? As that's just one of the sloppy pieces left out of the story. This ending was the worst finale I've ever seen and I've watched a LOT of TV in my 50 yrs. This finale, along with most of this last season, is only surpassed in it's lack of cohesive story lines that make sense by Dallas..the Dream Season. Funny how it's two of TV's greatest achievements that also were such dismal failures in their final run. Thanks for nothing Abrams, Cuse and Lindelof. Next time I see you've got something in the works, remind me to watch reruns of CSI or Law & Order.

porky826

[160]May 25, 2010
    • level: 4

Dean0Mac wrote:
    porky826 wrote:
    2. The quarantine on the hatch was likely put there to remind people to wear those yellow suits because I assume the radiation was probably pretty bad on the outside. A nuke did detonate in that area. Eventually that radiation subsided over the course of about 30 years. Not sure if the latter is possible, but then again, neither is a smoke monster so that's what we're supposed to go with there IMO. 16. They said were. Hurley said "you were a real good No. 2." Ben said "and you were a great No. 1 Hugo." 17. Apparently there is something to do with that stream of water. That's what makes you that way. It was fantasy story telling.
    - Doesn't explain why Quarantine was written on the inside and not the outside of the door. You'd think the Island was actually the quarantined area with it like that, no? - They say are watch it again lol. - He didn't say the incantation as I said, above.

Why put quarantine on the outside when the outside would be completely contaminated with radiation? You don't walk in a contaminated area and then see quarantine because then it's too late. You're already exposed and pretty much screwed. Quarantine is a warning that the area is contaminated on the outside. That's why it's written on the inside. It's a warning.

They didn't say are. The moment I read your post, I checked on my DVR. I don't know how you're getting that. I just checked again. I even had another person watch the scene with me. Maybe I'm hearing things, but then so would that person. We both hear the samething. I have two very nice televisions with excellent sound. Say what you want, but it's pretty clear what the purpose of that scene is for.

Hurley was the leader of the island, but he eventually died like everyone else. He probably was one of those people who died long after Jack, which Christian Shephard tells Jack. He clearly remembers his life. The viewer got to see his life pre island guardian, but majority of his life was probably spent guarding the island. The scene was referencing the stuff the viewer didn't see of his life. Likewise with Ben. Both of them are talking about the past and not the present.

Edited on 05/25/2010 6:24pm