Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Are you happy with the end?

Were you satisfied with the ending

  • Avatar of jrosace92

    jrosace92

    [161]May 25, 2010
    • member since: 01/27/09
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 422
    akamidnight wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:

    akamidnight wrote:


    You cannot say that it was a great ending. It wasn't. Yes we got closure on the characters and what not. I'm okay with that. But the characters were only part of the show. What about the island? Didn't they keep saying how they saw the island as a character too? That character got a big f*ck you.


    Was it the ending they were planning all along? Maybe. Damon admitted, very early on, that Lost was a character show, but they were told they needed to add a mystery/sci-fi element by the network. Even the original show pitch that Jimmy Kimmel had shows this. Lost was never meant to be this big ass complicated sci-fi story.


    But regardless of that, they sold the show as sci-fi, and in the end, they simply didn't deliver. People spent 6 years killing themselves to find the answers, when in reality, the writers didn't have any answers at all.


    I wasn't expecting all the answers. I was expecting some answers. 'Everybody died and went to heaven' just doesn't feel like a worthy conclusion. In fact, I'm almost certain that if they did this with any other ''character driven'' show, people would happily burn down ABC studios.


    And that, people, is why the ending was sh!tty. In my opinion.




    Not to mention, the writers constantly said it wouldn't be purgatory and in the end thats what it was. What the hell



    Oh don't get me started on that! ''We swear to you guys, it's not purgatory!'' We were conned, people... CONNED I TELL YOU!


    No, if i recall correctly, the writers kept saying that the ISLAND is not purgatory, and the ISLAND is not heaven or hell. They did not say anything to my knowledge about the Alt. Reality being purgatory. This is why(to me at least) the revelation about the alt reality was a complete shock. When the writers said these things about the island, i totally dismissed the possibility of the alt reality being purgatory.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Vernita_Green

    Vernita_Green

    [162]May 25, 2010
    • member since: 05/11/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 672

    I don't get how the Island was pergotory. If the Island was pergotory how were they all on the Island at the same time when Jack's dad said they all died at different times?


    I found the finale unfulfilling mainly because we got glimpses into all the characters' lives but in the end none of that really mattered. It was all about Jack...and since it was all about Jack, why the flashbacks, flashforwards, alt realties, without any real closure on how each person met their demise. Did they make it home on that plane? What happened with Hurley and Ben after Jack died? What was the purpose of that Island why did they go back? They owe us a better conclusion than...they died...unless they had died in the plane crash and all the stuff that happened on the show was the afterlife (I know that's not what happened)...but that is the only way I would be accepting of this finale.


    Maybe they will do a spin-off with more answers....here's hoping..

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chameleonic1

    chameleonic1

    [163]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 12/15/04
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 397
    Not happy at all with the Finale.

    I'd rather be repeatedly punched in the face by Jack Bauer for 2.5 hours than watch the Finale again (or the show for that matter).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of matty_32

    matty_32

    [164]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 06/01/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 99

    Liked the finale the first time I saw it, loved it the second time.


    Firstly to the people addressing some of the unanswered questions, while I agree there are a few I would've liked definitive answers on, I'm happy the rest were left open to interpretation. I think with most of them they gave us enough pieces to puzzle it together ourselves. Lost has always been a show that needed to be analysed and interpreted, and as is being shown right now most people have differing opinions. And honestly, I can't see how or why people want a calculated, rational explanation to some of the fantasy elements like what the light is, or the floor plan to what the island is. It'a special place the writers used to explore the lives of these characters, it's a cork to stop the world's evils from spreading, can you really go further than this? Can any answer they would have given us satisifed us? What if they had of said that the Island was in fact the back of a really big alien whale that migrated to our fair planet eons ago? I mean really, some questions did have logical answers - people before were mentioning the quarantine on the inside of the door, my interpretation of this was that it was only put there to try and prevent the hatch's inhabitants from escaping so they would continue to push the button. Probably the one mystery I would have liked a direct on screen reference to would be the whole baby issue, but even without I can come up with a scenario myself, and that's what the fun of Lost is for me - every other primetime TV show is mostly generic - let's tell the story of docors, or cops, or lawyers, or a family who fights a lot. Lost was a big show, it got a lot of stuff right, and yes it did get some stuff wrong, but that's life.


    In reference to the sideways flashes, I loved the pay off. A heap of other TV finales try and leave the viewer with a glimmer of what's going to happen to the characters once they're off our screen, and we always want to know more. Take the Scubs finale (Season 8 finale, I'm choosing to ignore season 9), JD's fantasy about marrying Elliot, having a baby and so on was great. The Lost finale gave us the ultimate outcome for these people; it told their stories of redemption, and depending on your religious beliefs, what happens after that redemption is achieved. I do think they spent a little too much time with the sideways in the grand scheme of things, but given the payoff I'm willing to let that go.


    I used to think Lost would end with a big reveal that changed the way I would watch the show when I went back and watched it, and I thought this would relate to some mystery of the show, it didn't, and I'm not disappointed at all.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chelanza

    chelanza

    [165]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 01/06/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 120
    *COUGH* CHRONICLES OF NARNIA RIPOFF *COUGH*

    What??? It is....

    Wonder if the guy's estate will sue after seeing that ending.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Torzhestvuyushe

    Torzhestvuyushe

    [166]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 09/11/06
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 66

    mangodurian wrote:
    purgatory as an ending? makes no sense.. when were they supposed to have died? when their plane crashed? when the bomb went off? would that mean that sayeed died 3 times? once with the plane, once in the temple and once on the sub? no.. if the official explanation of the show was purgatory, then after years of me telling everyone lost was the best show ever, i will have to admit that the ending totally sucked..



    Look, I'm as much of a "finale hater" as the next guy, but many people still don't understand the ending. the FLASH-SIDEWAYS was purgatory, that's it. Nothing else. Everything else still happened "for real".


    My problem with the finale is that it acted like the fact that the flash-sideways was purgatory was such a huge revelation when it was ONLY IN SEASON 6. I never gave a damn about the stupid flash-sideways. I saw it as pointless. That's why I kept saying that the finale is better suited as an end to Season 6, not the whole show.

    Edited on 05/26/2010 9:45am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of akamidnight

    akamidnight

    [167]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 11/06/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 182

    jrosace92 wrote:
    akamidnight wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:


    akamidnight wrote:


    You cannot say that it was a great ending. It wasn't. Yes we got closure on the characters and what not. I'm okay with that. But the characters were only part of the show. What about the island? Didn't they keep saying how they saw the island as a character too? That character got a big f*ck you.


    Was it the ending they were planning all along? Maybe. Damon admitted, very early on, that Lost was a character show, but they were told they needed to add a mystery/sci-fi element by the network. Even the original show pitch that Jimmy Kimmel had shows this. Lost was never meant to be this big ass complicated sci-fi story.


    But regardless of that, they sold the show as sci-fi, and in the end, they simply didn't deliver. People spent 6 years killing themselves to find the answers, when in reality, the writers didn't have any answers at all.


    I wasn't expecting all the answers. I was expecting some answers. 'Everybody died and went to heaven' just doesn't feel like a worthy conclusion. In fact, I'm almost certain that if they did this with any other ''character driven'' show, people would happily burn down ABC studios.


    And that, people, is why the ending was sh!tty. In my opinion.




    Not to mention, the writers constantly said it wouldn't be purgatory and in the end thats what it was. What the hell


    Oh don't get me started on that! ''We swear to you guys, it's not purgatory!'' We were conned, people... CONNED I TELL YOU!
    No, if i recall correctly, the writers kept saying that the ISLAND is not purgatory, and the ISLAND is not heaven or hell. They did not say anything to my knowledge about the Alt. Reality being purgatory. This is why(to me at least) the revelation about the alt reality was a complete shock. When the writers said these things about the island, i totally dismissed the possibility of the alt reality being purgatory.


    Yeah, I know. The island was real, alt reality wasn't. I understood the ending, I just didn't like it. But they made it sound like the show wasn't about purgatory, which in the very end, it was.


    Come on people. It had a smoke monster. That disqualifies it from being categorized as anything but a six year rick-roll.

    Edited on 05/26/2010 10:26am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DarkManiaN_1979

    DarkManiaN_1979

    [168]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 09/28/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 15

    Yeah it was a rip. They just stitched something trashy on to the end of a great but dying show. It was like watching a super nova event or something phenomenal implode.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mermayd

    mermayd

    [169]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,302
    Yes. It was what we predicted in the first place. They're all dead.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TracyTrouble

    TracyTrouble

    [170]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 10/20/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 365
    No, never in a million years. The writers should be shot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MujahidSharif

    MujahidSharif

    [171]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 03/25/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 7

    I ended up blogging about it as it was too much to comment on.


    http://lonsharim.blogspot.com/2010/05/lost-show-comes-to-end.html


    Edited on 05/26/2010 2:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kevnay777

    Kevnay777

    [172]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 05/05/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 310

    Torzhestvuyushe wrote:


    mangodurian wrote:
    purgatory as an ending? makes no sense.. when were they supposed to have died? when their plane crashed? when the bomb went off? would that mean that sayeed died 3 times? once with the plane, once in the temple and once on the sub? no.. if the official explanation of the show was purgatory, then after years of me telling everyone lost was the best show ever, i will have to admit that the ending totally sucked..



    Look, I'm as much of a "finale hater" as the next guy, but many people still don't understand the ending. the FLASH-SIDEWAYS was purgatory, that's it. Nothing else. Everything else still happened "for real".


    My problem with the finale is that it acted like the fact that the flash-sideways was purgatory was such a huge revelation when it was ONLY IN SEASON 6. I never gave a damn about the stupid flash-sideways. I saw it as pointless. That's why I kept saying that the finale is better suited as an end to Season 6, not the whole show.




    The flash side ways weren'tpurgatory it was really an alternate universe. It showed us the lives of the characters without the island. They were really living, breathing people who actually had their own lives too. In fact they would have just continued living their lives if it wasn't for Desmond influencing them and making them all remember. As soon as they remembered then the alt universe sort of becamepurgatory. I only say that because I don't believe that they are going to heaven after the church seen, yet. Yes they died but that was only in the island universe. Since everybody in the alt universe remembers their other lives their consciousness became connected. They were still themselves in the alt universe except they had the memories and knowledge of their lives in the island universe. Both were connected, so when they all died in one universe, their consciousness is transferred to the other since they are connected. So I believe that they will just continue to live their lives in the alt universe which actually technically becomes the main universe now, until they actually die there.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [173]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    Kevnay777 wrote:
    It showed us the lives of the characters without the island.
    The changes extended further than that as Jack had a son, Locke was best buds with his father, Jin hadn't married Sun yet,etc.
    Kevnay777 wrote:

    They were really living, breathing people who actually had their own lives too. In fact they would have just continued living their lives if it wasn't for Desmond influencing them and making them all remember. As soon as they remembered then the alt universe sort of becamepurgatory.
    So it became purgatory after they remembered? How exactly does that even work? It makes more sense that they realized it was purgatory all along instead of it suddenly became purgatory on a whim.

    Kevnay777 wrote:
    I only say that because I don't believe that they are going to heaven after the church seen, yet. Yes they died but that was only in the island universe. Since everybody in the alt universe remembers their other lives their consciousness became connected. They were still themselves in the alt universe except they had the memories and knowledge of their lives in the island universe. Both were connected, so when they all died in one universe, their consciousness is transferred to the other since they are connected. So I believe that they will just continue to live their lives in the alt universe which actually technically becomes the main universe now, until they actually die there.
    Christian neutralizes all that when he confirms to Jack that they're all dead. Some died before Jack and Some died after.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of porky826

    porky826

    [174]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 05/08/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 185
    It wasn't an alternate universe. For it be an alternate universe, there needs to be a NOW. Christian specifically says there isn't a now here. It was clearly some form of the after life or purgatory or limbo or whatever else you wanna call it. It's a bridge between your life and moving on. Moving on is up for interpretation. Maybe you think there going to Heaven. Maybe you think they're just going to rest for all eternity.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mangodurian

    mangodurian

    [175]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 05/26/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4

    Kevnay777 wrote:


    The flash side ways weren'tpurgatory it was really an alternate universe. It showed us the lives of the characters without the island. They were really living, breathing people who actually had their own lives too. In fact they would have just continued living their lives if it wasn't for Desmond influencing them and making them all remember. As soon as they remembered then the alt universe sort of becamepurgatory. I only say that because I don't believe that they are going to heaven after the church seen, yet. Yes they died but that was only in the island universe. Since everybody in the alt universe remembers their other lives their consciousness became connected. They were still themselves in the alt universe except they had the memories and knowledge of their lives in the island universe. Both were connected, so when they all died in one universe, their consciousness is transferred to the other since they are connected. So I believe that they will just continue to live their lives in the alt universe which actually technically becomes the main universe now, until they actually die there.


    it still makes no sense.. you say you believe that they died on the island, please explain how and when? Besides there was much more to it than just desmond.. hugos woman also saw the split in reality before the others, and clearly eloise knew far more than we'll ever know.. but fundamentally, i want to know if the flash sideways reality was in any conceivable way purgatory, (i have yet to see that explanation given officially), then how and when did they die to get there?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kevnay777

    Kevnay777

    [177]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 05/05/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 310

    KingofIPirates wrote:
    Kevnay777 wrote:
    It showed us the lives of the characters without the island.
    The changes extended further than that as Jack had a son, Locke was best buds with his father, Jin hadn't married Sun yet,etc.
    Kevnay777 wrote:
    They were really living, breathing people who actually had their own lives too. In fact they would have just continued living their lives if it wasn't for Desmond influencing them and making them all remember. As soon as they remembered then the alt universe sort of becamepurgatory.
    So it became purgatory after they remembered? How exactly does that even work? It makes more sense that they realized it was purgatory all along instead of it suddenly became purgatory on a whim.
    Kevnay777 wrote:
    I only say that because I don't believe that they are going to heaven after the church seen, yet. Yes they died but that was only in the island universe. Since everybody in the alt universe remembers their other lives their consciousness became connected. They were still themselves in the alt universe except they had the memories and knowledge of their lives in the island universe. Both were connected, so when they all died in one universe, their consciousness is transferred to the other since they are connected. So I believe that they will just continue to live their lives in the alt universe which actually technically becomes the main universe now, until they actually die there.
    Christian neutralizes all that when he confirms to Jack that they're all dead. Some died before Jack and Some died after.



    Ok so I re-watched the scene with Christian and this is what I have to say. You are right about the deaths part but I still don't believe that the whole alt universe was justpurgatory until they went to heaven or whatever. I believe that it actually was an alt universe until they remembered. After that they were able to connect with their other lives. Then I believe that the church was thepurgatory. At the scene with Christian their different symbols probably standing for different religions. I believe that it meant that our characters were at the church(purgatory) to pass on and go somewhere depending on their religion or beliefs. Also I believe that because Christian said that they have to let go, maybe he meant that when it was time they will eventually walk out of the church into the light which I assume is heaven or wherever else they believed in. Also if the alt universe were reallypurgatory the whole time and they had to stay there until they learned to let go then I don't understand why they forgot everything that happened to them.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OOsteb

    OOsteb

    [178]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 03/16/10
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 297

    The Church = Crossroads, The Church = Looks like the Church with the hidden Dahrmah room. The Church = Ben didn't want to go inside, he wanted to stay. Does that mean once you go inside... you can't come out ? (Hotel California) They either sit there or go thru the Light ?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [179]May 26, 2010
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    Kevnay777 wrote:
    I believe that it actually was an alt universe until they remembered. After that they were able to connect with their other lives. Then I believe that the church was thepurgatory.

    Christian already confirmed that they created The Flash-sideways timeline so that they could meet and remember and when the time came move on together.
    Kevnay777 wrote:

    Also if the alt universe were reallypurgatory the whole time and they had to stay there until they learned to let go then I don't understand why they forgot everything that happened to them.
    Because that's the way the writers made it, which was why I was disappointed in the ending in the first place because it basically made the alternate timeline pointless. And nothing that happened on the island had much of any bearing of what occured during the final revelation not to mention it opened a mass of potential plotholes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.