Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

At first the island was purgatory. They changed the story in the end!

pilouuuu2004

[1]May 26, 2010
    • level: 5

I think they created the beginning and the end of the story from the very start of the series and then just made it up all the story in-between.

They knew that Jack was going to sacrifice and the rest of the survivors would finally leave the island. Only that their first the idea was that losties really died in the island. That's why Christian body was missing, why losties saw dead people around and the whispers. But the writers, after the feedback for fans thought it was so insulting to viewers that decided to create the flash sideways as a limbo. That's why they made Christian remark that everything in the island was real. It was a fail safe for the end when the writers made a real mess of the story.

The point is the ending was great, but it could have been so much better. They could have given us answers as well, if they really had any. They should have included Ab Aeterno and Across the Sea before in the series and make another episode of other Others arriving at the island in different periods, coming from Egypt, Mexico, Japan and other great civilizations. They built Tawaret statue, the temple and later the light house. It would have left less of the story to intepretation, but it would have been more fulfilling for us. And also I would have made another flashback episode called The Travellers, showing people from Atlantis arriving much before Jacob's and MIB's mother. They would be the builders of the cork! Fake mother would have been in that group and she could have been received some kind of divine message about the importance of the island and the light source and why she had to protect it. I would also have liked an episode called What The Numbers Are that would show the real meaning behind those numbers, but I guess they never had a real meaning after all. They are just numbers! Season 6 would have been much better if only it had a couple more of episodes giving answers.

Well, maybe the lack of answers isn't so bad after all, because we can continue creating theories like mine for a long time, but at the same time it would have made it much more interesting for fans in a logical level. For me they decided to create an ending somewhat related to those of Donnie Darko or 2001, where everyone can theorize about what really happened, but in a story so focused on mysteries, some solutions would have been welcome. Nonetheless it has been an amazing six year travel in a mysterious island and it has been great sharing ideas and the love for Lost!

Edited on 05/26/2010 8:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

osacattack

[2]May 26, 2010
    • level: 1

That is EXACTLY why I'm fine with not getting all the answers and leaving things up for individual interpretation. Because if I had actually seen an episode of LOST that told me that the magic cork was built by Atlantis, I would have thrown up in my mouth and destroyed my TV in a fit of rage.

Edited on 05/26/2010 6:49am

steffi_totti

[3]May 26, 2010
    • level: 9
    osacattack wrote:

That is EXACTLY why I'm fine with not getting all the answers and leaving things up for individual interpretation. Because if I had actually seen an episode of LOST that told me that the magic cork was built by Atlantis, I would have thrown up in my mouth and destroyed my TV in a fit of rage.

Agreed. Another episode with no series regular would be unnecessary.

I also think that Christian's remark isn't necessarily a failsafe, but just in case to minimize the ambiguity of what Jack meant when he said he died. Granted even after that, some still insist no one survived the first Oceanic crash...

pilouuuu2004

[4]May 26, 2010
    • level: 5
    I really what the feeling that it was the writers' original idea. After all they didn't know how many seasons the series would last. They only knew how the show would start and finish. After they had 6 seasons to work with they brought up the idea of FSW being another existence to prevent even more rage from fans saying that nothing was real.

Maybe I'm not completely into ambiguous stuff and I'd rather have more explanations. Something like Indiana Jones. We don't need to know how Grial works, but we know exactly why the templar was there and his job. Actually I don't think we really got so many answers in Last Crusade, but for some reason it felt more satisfying. It reminds me of the end of Lost for some reason.

But if truly you would have disliked more mythology episodes, then probably this ending is as good as it gets. I just think that the numbers definitely should have had an answer!