Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

CHARACTER ANALYSIS: 20 simple reasons why people hate Jack

  • Avatar of peteframe

    peteframe

    [1]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 03/29/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 450

    For all of you out there who don´t (wanna) understand it.

    Here´s the ONE BIG REASON WHY SO MANY PEOPLE HATE JACK:

    Lack of emotional intelligence. It´s really that simple. He just lacks the very basic soft skills.

    This lack of basic soft skills contains:

    - NO SELF-EVALUATION AT ALL. He doesn´t even know that he doesn´t know. That´s the lowest level of competence. - He almost never smiles. That alone is just creepy.
    - No sense of humor at all. - He´s never relaxed. Always pissed, nervous, angry... Take it easy man!
    - Takes himself way too seriously.
    - Never apologizes for anything.
    - Condemns every other opinion.
    - Low self esteem: Big ego but no real confidence behind it
    - Overly obsessed with himself.
    - Overly obsessed with his father complex.
    - Overly obsessed with his ex wife.
    - Jealousy all over the place. Jealousy is nothing else than low self esteem and insecurity about your own qualities - Stubbornness all over the place.
    - No patience at all. Great leaders are ALWAYS patient. - Can´t let go of anything.
    - Can´t get laid if his life depended on it. True men know how to handle women. - He doesn´t (wanna) know that he doesn´t know everything.
    - Treats Kate like a little brat.
    - Often just too soft and overly emotional. You don´t have to cry over every chick-flick you watch with a woman - Lets his emotions and his anger control him.


    He also has a few good traits but there are just too many bad ones to overlook them.

    All in all you can say this is a horrible profile for an application.

    If he only had a few more scenes like the one were he says to Miles:"I don´t know Miles. How stupid are you?" (I just loved him in that scene!) or a redeeming moment from time to time like when Sawyer holds Aaron, glances over to Sun and remembers that he was responsible for her being dragged into the jungle and hurt by Charlie. You can clearly see that Sawyer regrets his actions in this moment. That would just feel so so good to see Jack in a scene like that.

    Nobody would really hate Jack despite all his flaws if he just had some scenes like that every so often.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mchez

    mchez

    [2]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 249

    Well thought out. In the Doc's defense... I think he was just fine until everyone MADE him be the leader, which was very early on. They all looked to him to make every decision and then when he said something they didn't like...they would argue with him. He said it himself..."everybody wants me to be a leader until I make a decision they don't like." (Exodus pt. 2) In my own opinion, I think that would just weigh a person down.

    but hey...that's just me.

    Watch the pilot episose...even during the distress and fear...Jack is reasonably upbeat and optimistic. (before he was forced to lead.)

    Edited on 06/06/2008 2:17pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of peteframe

    peteframe

    [3]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 03/29/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 450
    What you say is completely right. He was a great guy in the first season. I agree.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kieran3486

    kieran3486

    [4]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 01/29/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 249
    Lol I think it comes down to a matter of opinion on whether you like him or not, but I think people tend to judge him far too harshly. I admire him, i don't think he's got a big ego with no self confidence to back it up - i think its exactly the other way around.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fishbulb13

    Fishbulb13

    [5]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 04/26/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 8,283
    I never really liked the character, but in his defense, his demeanor gets slowly worse over the four seasons as the stress of leadership weighs him down. If he could have trusted people to take some of the leadership burden from him, he probably wouldn't have gotten quite so burned out. Sayid, Sun, Bernard, (season 1) Michael, and even Locke would have been suited to that role.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HCothlove1227

    HCothlove1227

    [6]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 02/09/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 685
    wow, thank you! thank you for clearly laying out all the reasons why I HATE jack. Yeah, alright i cut him some slack cause its tough beans being leader, but his qualities- his obsesiveness with everything and everyone- his inability to belive that there is something greater going on out there other than just a plane crash- it just drives me crazy. He has so little redeeming moments, and I'm glad sun hates him for leaving Jin behind, I would too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Markizzle

    Markizzle

    [7]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 09/11/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 22
    The character shows highly emotional drama scenes and thats why he is so damn important to this show. Getting lost on an island for 4 months or whatever, and he is the only one being over dramatic? And hey, who woulndt have the doctor as leader, and not the crazy old bold guy or the redneck
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of clivelover9

    clivelover9

    [8]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 08/22/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,245
    This is exactly why I hate Jack-haters. You make no effort to see things from his side. I guess I would hate Jack too if I were so ignorant.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drog2000

    drog2000

    [9]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 278
    And if it wasn't for Jack - most, if not all would be dead by now!! He saved them many times
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gorman87

    gorman87

    [10]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 02/02/08
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 277

    I don't know how many times I've heard people say "I'm glad Sun hates Jack because he left Jin. I hate him too." Look, the guy had to make a decision to save as many people as he could. No one knew when that bomb was gonna go off, he made the call and like someone else said about his quote from season 1..."They ask me to lead, but someone will always hate the decision."

    Yeah I guess he drew the short straw when it comes down to being the leader in a desperate situation. But if you recall...Locke pushed him into the postion in season 1's "White Rabbit". Locke has been finagling his way around the whole series being wishy-washy about leading half the time then adamant about the 'will of the island' stuff. and now look at him, he ended up in a casket.

    and don't even get me started on Kate. I'm not against Kate or anything (since the beginning of season 2 anyway), but if you go back and watch season 1, Kate is never straight with Jack... so why should he trust her. she always deflected his questions about her motives for things when it wouldn't have been so bad to tell him (if only him, he kinda proved he could keep all her secrets for her). an example if you would like one: the water-bottle poison thing before the raft launch (that was Sun's idea). all the evidence pointed at Kate (wanting to get off the island, trying to run again, making fake passports) and she still got all defensive and offended that he would be even a little suspicious when the only answer he gotten up to that point was from a mugshot. (now since the beginning of season 2 she's gotten a lot better).

    So when you criticize Jack (and I'm not trying to canonize him or say he's perfect, some of those criticisms are true) make sure you're not just painting a picture of the devil. he's a lot better man than some of the other shady characters on this show.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Fishbulb13

    Fishbulb13

    [11]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 04/26/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 8,283
    clivelover9 wrote:
    This is exactly why I hate Jack-haters. You make no effort to see things from his side. I guess I would hate Jack too if I were so ignorant.


    Them's fightin' words. Care to back them up?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of oceanic6

    oceanic6

    [12]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 02/16/08
    • level: 35
    • rank: Beverly Hillbilly
    • posts: 903
    drog2000 wrote:
    And if it wasn't for Jack - most, if not all would be dead by now!! He saved them many times


    Remember in the 3rd season finale? He was willing to let Jin, Sayid and Bernard get shot in the head instead of giving the radio to Ben.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of peteframe

    peteframe

    [13]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 03/29/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 450

    Hey, just take it easy! You see the 20est reason in my list? Don´t let your emotions speak. Just be objective.

    He wasn´t willing to let them die. It was a difficult situation. He didn´t say go ahead and kill´em.

    I think people who don´t like Jack also have to give him credit when it´s appropriate. The bigger point for me is that the people who like Jack are defending almost every single thing he does wether or not it is completely wrong or annoying. Again: Just be objective!
    Yeah, he had a difficult past. That´s right. But there are more people with a diffucult past on LOST and they manage to change to the better.

    The problem with Jack is also that he´s steadily going downhill. It´s getting worse and worse. That´s not easy to watch. You don´t like a guy who was great in the beginning and then the more you get to know about him the more negative things come up.

    He had a redeeming moment in the finale: In the FF with Kate where she slaps him because he mentioned Aaron. Then he sais "I´m sorry". And I think he meant it. That felt great to see him actually thinking about what he has said or done and coming to the conclusion that it was not the best thing to do or to say.

    I think many people like the drunken Jack from the FFs more because there he doesn´t behave like Mr. Perfect and he doesn´t claim to have everything under control. I hope he gets back to the island in the last two seasons and finds his freedom.

    AND CLIVELOVER! I have never been a Jack hater. I don´t hate any person. I just hate stupid behaviour. Wether it´s Locke or Sawyer or Jack doesn´t really matter. I´m a huge Sawyer fan but I don´t always say that Kate obviously loves Sawyer and whatnot. If the writers and producers made it so easy to see who she really loves or will end up with in the end we wouldn´t be discussing that much about that topic. We all really just don´t know. So don´t pretend to know it 24/7. And talking about ignorance Clivelover: Yes I´m a Sawyer fan, but I still know that he is an **** and a macho sometimes and he did horrible things in the past and so on. Why is it so hard for you to admit that for your favourite character? I really never understood that. I can´t defend everything Sawyer does just because he´s my favourite character! Yeah he had a horrible past too but that doesn´t mean that he has to become a con man and stealing money from other people or be rude to everyone.

    Of course I also understand Jacks situation but my problem with him is that he consistently makes stupid decisions or behaves annoying. And the fact that the island seems to bring out the worst in him, while poeple like Sawyer grab their life by the balls and change to the better.

    I´m just pointing out the reason why many people hate him, that doesn´t mean that I hate him. Hate is a strong word. I just disapprove of Jack´s lack of social skills.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kadodian

    Kadodian

    [14]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 07/01/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,337
    I like Jack.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kieran3486

    kieran3486

    [15]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 01/29/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 249
    oceanic6 wrote:
    drog2000 wrote:
    And if it wasn't for Jack - most, if not all would be dead by now!! He saved them many times


    Remember in the 3rd season finale? He was willing to let Jin, Sayid and Bernard get shot in the head instead of giving the radio to Ben.


    In order to save all the other survivors yes. And Sayid said in that very same episode that he was willing to give his life if it meant rescue for the others. All 3 of them knew what it might mean if they stayed behind, and Jack honored that by sticking to the plan and doing what he could to get everyone else rescued.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of D-DawgMan1

    D-DawgMan1

    [16]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 01/25/06
    • level: 49
    • rank: Snufflupugus
    • posts: 8,647
    kieran3486 wrote:
    oceanic6 wrote:
    drog2000 wrote:
    And if it wasn't for Jack - most, if not all would be dead by now!! He saved them many times


    Remember in the 3rd season finale? He was willing to let Jin, Sayid and Bernard get shot in the head instead of giving the radio to Ben.


    In order to save all the other survivors yes. And Sayid said in that very same episode that he was willing to give his life if it meant rescue for the others. All 3 of them knew what it might mean if they stayed behind, and Jack honored that by sticking to the plan and doing what he could to get everyone else rescued.


    Yes. Good point made. I also agree with what mchez said. Jack was sort of forced into this leadership position. And when you have roughly 48 people that need to be fed, watered, accounted for, and are complaining their different problems, it gets stressful. Then one turns up dead every once in awhile because the smoke monster got them or they drowned or one of the Others killed them. Yeah, Jack had every right to be stressed out and act in that manner.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tribalchic

    tribalchic

    [17]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 04/20/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,897
    peteframe wrote:

    Hey, just take it easy! You see the 20est reason in my list? Don´t let your emotions speak. Just be objective.

    He wasn´t willing to let them die. It was a difficult situation. He didn´t say go ahead and kill´em.

    I think people who don´t like Jack also have to give him credit when it´s appropriate. The bigger point for me is that the people who like Jack are defending almost every single thing he does wether or not it is completely wrong or annoying. Again: Just be objective!
    Yeah, he had a difficult past. That´s right. But there are more people with a diffucult past on LOST and they manage to change to the better.

    The problem with Jack is also that he´s steadily going downhill. It´s getting worse and worse. That´s not easy to watch. You don´t like a guy who was great in the beginning and then the more you get to know about him the more negative things come up.

    He had a redeeming moment in the finale: In the FF with Kate where she slaps him because he mentioned Aaron. Then he sais "I´m sorry". And I think he meant it. That felt great to see him actually thinking about what he has said or done and coming to the conclusion that it was not the best thing to do or to say.

    I think many people like the drunken Jack from the FFs more because there he doesn´t behave like Mr. Perfect and he doesn´t claim to have everything under control. I hope he gets back to the island in the last two seasons and finds his freedom.

    AND CLIVELOVER! I have never been a Jack hater. I don´t hate any person. I just hate stupid behaviour. Wether it´s Locke or Sawyer or Jack doesn´t really matter. I´m a huge Sawyer fan but I don´t always say that Kate obviously loves Sawyer and whatnot. If the writers and producers made it so easy to see who she really loves or will end up with in the end we wouldn´t be discussing that much about that topic. We all really just don´t know. So don´t pretend to know it 24/7. And talking about ignorance Clivelover: Yes I´m a Sawyer fan, but I still know that he is an **** and a macho sometimes and he did horrible things in the past and so on. Why is it so hard for you to admit that for your favourite character? I really never understood that. I can´t defend everything Sawyer does just because he´s my favourite character! Yeah he had a horrible past too but that doesn´t mean that he has to become a con man and stealing money from other people or be rude to everyone.

    Of course I also understand Jacks situation but my problem with him is that he consistently makes stupid decisions or behaves annoying. And the fact that the island seems to bring out the worst in him, while poeple like Sawyer grab their life by the balls and change to the better.

    I´m just pointing out the reason why many people hate him, that doesn´t mean that I hate him. Hate is a strong word. I just disapprove of Jack´s lack of social skills.

    im convinced you are the smartest poster on this board.

    I almost wanted to stand up and clap for this post.....well said!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of uglybetty511

    uglybetty511

    [18]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 06/03/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 191
    I just hate him...does anyone need anymore reasons to
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mchez

    mchez

    [19]Jun 7, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 249
    I think it's being overlooked that Jack has figured out that he was being an @** this whole time. It's the EXACT reason why he wants to go back. Jack feels stupid and knows he wasn't supposed to leave and he wants to redeem himself.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of eiEY

    eiEY

    [20]Jun 8, 2008
    • member since: 01/02/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 152
    I have a feeling we're all gonna like/love Jack once this series is over. Just like mchez stated, he's been quite an arse, but he's still the main protagonist of this series so I'm pretty sure he'll redeem himself.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.