Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Did Jacob cause "the Purge"

Sugar2U

[1]May 28, 2010
    • level: 9

Did Jacob try to get rid of the Dharma people by at first not allowing them to have children and then in the end he got Richard and the boys to finally "purge" the Dharma people. My theory is at first he tried to scare them off with children dying ( we know Ethan was conceived and born on the island so it was not always that way so figure Jacob did it) THEN when they refused to leave he finally purged them. Lets face it he was protecting the island and Dharma people were exploiting it.. What do you all think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ajokurvanyad

[2]May 28, 2010
    • level: 4

well he was mommas boy so he could have

i really think jacob was the "bad guy" all along

aidorrocks

[3]May 28, 2010
    • level: 10
    Sugar2U wrote:

Did Jacob try to get rid of the Dharma people by at first not allowing them to have children and then in the end he got Richard and the boys to finally "purge" the Dharma people. My theory is at first he tried to scare them off with children dying ( we know Ethan was conceived and born on the island so it was not always that way so figure Jacob did it) THEN when they refused to leave he finally purged them. Lets face it he was protecting the island and Dharma people were exploiting it.. What do you all think?

its a good theory, but wasn't it said that nobody comes to the island unless jacob brings them there? i think it was smokey. if this is true then why would he try & get rid of them if he brought them there in the 1st place?

not 100% sure on that tho.

KingofIPirates

[4]May 28, 2010
    • level: 32
    Sugar2U wrote:
    THEN when they refused to leave he finally purged them. Lets face it he was protecting the island and Dharma people were exploiting it.. What do you all think?
    Certainly possible though I think he had greater concerns about MIB rather than the Dharma Initiative as he actually considered him evil incarnate. It's more likely that Richard sought to get rid of the Initiative using Jacob's 'word' similar to how he convinced Widmore to save Ben. Plus the Dharma Initiave violated the Truce made with Richard and the Others when they stayed longer than fifteen years.

anthem47

[5]May 28, 2010
    • level: 6

aidorrocks wrote:
    Sugar2U wrote:

its a good theory, but wasn't it said that nobody comes to the island unless jacob brings them there? i think it was smokey. if this is true then why would he try & get rid of them if he brought them there in the 1st place? not 100% sure on that tho.

Yeah I think so, also some of the members of Dharma were candidates at one point as they appear on the lighthouse dial. 62 is Kelvin Inman, 104 is either Charlotte or one of her parents, 117 is Ben or Roger Linus. Goodspeed and Chang appear in the caves too, probably Horace and Pierre.

If Jacob did cause the Purge, it's possible he gently caused all of Dharma to come to the island for the 10 or so candidates amongst them, and when all 10 had been struck off the list for whatever reason, he ordered the Purge because he was done with them.

DARKANGEL_42

[6]May 29, 2010
    • level: 2

Somebody else posted a similar topic before, and someone else gave a good answer. Mainly that the not having babies thing came from the "incident" that Dharma caused by drilling to far and thus creating the need for the hatch. Its possible this was also the reason that the poisonous gas manifested, unless that was another Dharma screw up. As for the purge it was an others job, and Jacob told Richard that he would not interfere (Ab Aeterno) so it was porbably either Richard (though unlikely in my opinion) or Charles and Eloise (more likely as they were the leaders). They are also portrayed as more of the bad guys, and eventually Ben gets rid of Charles (maybe this is why, because he asked Ben to kill his father?)

Pb_BigFan

[7]May 29, 2010
    ajokurvanyad wrote:

well he was mommas boy so he could have

i really think jacob was the "bad guy" all along

Yeah the things he did was bad, but I'm pretty Jacob is sort of like Ben or Ben is like Jacob...They did horrible things for the island, to protect it from getting exploited.

cindycee

[8]May 29, 2010
    • level: 8
    at the time of the purge, charles had already left the island, and ben has said of the purge that he was not the leader when it happened, i personally think it was eloise, and i think she did it because of some reason related to saving daniel. also, i dont think jacob was punishing the dharma people by stopping them having babies, i think that problem may be related to the fact that they built the barracks directly over the site of the leaking jughead bomb, making the radioactivity responsible, and i think that was also responsible for bens cancer, coz he lived in the barracks longer than anybody else.

ajokurvanyad

[9]May 29, 2010

cindycee wrote:
    at the time of the purge, charles had already left the island, and ben has said of the purge that he was not the leader when it happened, i personally think it was eloise, and i think she did it because of some reason related to saving daniel. also, i dont think jacob was punishing the dharma people by stopping them having babies, i think that problem may be related to the fact that they built the barracks directly over the site of the leaking jughead bomb, making the radioactivity responsible, and i think that was also responsible for bens cancer, coz he lived in the barracks longer than anybody else.

yeah,that wouldmake perfect sense to.one+one mystery check.thnk u

Kevnay777

[10]May 29, 2010
    • level: 8

I agree with the person that said that Jacob just wanted the candidates but didn't expect the whole Dharma initiative to settle on the island. Also I think that later Jacob realized that what Dharma was doing wasn't what he wanted. The Dharma wanted to harness electromagnetism to time travel and Jacob probably didn't like that. I don't think that Jacob ordered the purge because he actually has little influence to the orders. Jacob told Richard that he didn't see the point of just telling everyone he brings what he wants instead he just wants to see what they will do. Which is why he makes Richard the advisor. I think it was really Ben's idea the whole time because he knew the Dharma more well than any of the others, he hated them, and he hated his father.

ajokurvanyad

[11]May 29, 2010

ben definetely hated his old man but he had no reason to hate the dharma people.i think he just didn't care as long as he got rid of his father.at the time he was still under richard's influence,after all richard was the one who recruted him and guess became the father he never had

KingofIPirates

[12]May 29, 2010
    • level: 32
    DARKANGEL_42 wrote:
    Somebody else posted a similar topic before, and someone else gave a good answer. Mainly that the not having babies thing came from the "incident" that Dharma caused by drilling to far and thus creating the need for the hatch.
    The Hatch imploded around Season 2 destroying that pocket of energy yet even after that Juliet still warned her that she'd be dead within if she doesn't get off the island.