Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Finale (Spoiler) - Something I don't get about Jack and "limbo"

ToddTime

[1]May 25, 2010
    • level: 1

So when the Losties die, they go to this alt-timeline/limbo. They only move on to the light when they are together so needed Jack.

So when Jack dies next to Vincent, he goes to limbo... but he's already been in this alt-timeline/limbo since the start of seasons six! I don't understand that.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

brian_o_cuinn

[2]May 25, 2010
    • level: 11

The alt-limbo is a place of 'no time'. Just because we were seeing it alongside the present day Island story doesn't mean they were happening at the same time. If you just think of Hurley and Ben's dialogue alone: the two of them are left to run the island in present time, which you'd assume they did for a while and in the 'alt-limbo' they reference this i.e. they've run the island for years and have since died and are now in limbo. If anything Jack must definately not have been the last person to arrive in limbo since he dies before Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and Ben, but since this alt-limbo is a timeless place, 'when' people arrive is pretty unimportant.

Deadeye402

[3]May 25, 2010
    I assume the start of everyone's "life" in sideways world was on the plane in the first episode of season six. So, after Jack dies, he ends up on the plane in sideways world. That's why he has that cut on his neck on the plane that Smokey gave him in the finale.

sputnik2121

[4]May 25, 2010
    • level: 7

Deadeye402 wrote:
    I assume the start of everyone's "life" in sideways world was on the plane in the first episode of season six. So, after Jack dies, he ends up on the plane in sideways world. That's why he has that cut on his neck on the plane that Smokey gave him in the finale.

Speaking of which, how did these events from the real world bleed into the limbo world? I mean, if this place was created by the losties as somewhere for them all to meet before moving on, why did Jack get a cut on his neck in the real world, especially as the limbo world is a world of no time?

Not just the Jack thing, but also Desmond when he get the electromagnetic shock from Widmore? If this was a world of no time, how did these things happen? As rightly pointed out above, Hurley and Ben probably lived for a while on the Island as the protectors, Kate and all the others on the Ajira plane could have lived a while, but they were all in the limbo world when Jack got the cut on his neck.

Anyone have an explanation for this?(By the way, not hating, I enjoyed the episode, just curious about this)

brian_o_cuinn

[5]May 25, 2010

Hmmm, good points.

I assume Jack's cuts were related to his reluctance to 'let go'. His past life is still anchoring him down and affecting him so much so that parts of it (the wounds) are cutting into his limbo life. When he lets go and is ready to move on, these wounds would also cease. I think you summed it up yourself when you described events from the real world 'bleeding' into this afterlife.

The Desmond thing is far harder to understand and I'm still not sure. Whatever about before, Desmond wouldn't have been able to timetravel somewhere where there was no time. My only guess would be that Desmond got a glimpse of death after being bombarded with Widmore's eletromagnetism. Where anyone else would have died, Desmond's special resistance spared his life. That momentary glimps however was only for a few seconds in our world, but it could have been infinite in the limbo world, since no time exists there.

That's my take on it anyway....

lost_junkie

[6]May 25, 2010
    • level: 6

brian_o_cuinn wrote:

I assume Jack's cuts were related to his reluctance to 'let go'. His past life is still anchoring him down and affecting him so much so that parts of it (the wounds) are cutting into his limbo life. When he lets go and is ready to move on, these wounds would also cease. I think you summed it up yourself when you described events from the real world 'bleeding' into this afterlife.

Yes, just like Locke with the wheelchair.