Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

I like finding my own answers

Rummy1

[1]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 5

I don't mind that the producers didn't provide all the awnswers in concrete terms. It gives me the chance to come to my conclusions. Isn't one of the themes of the show all about making your own choices?

Why was Walt special and why did the Others want him? Well the Others could tell that he had psychic powers and it's always good to have a psychic on your side. Plus they had indoor plumbing and the Lostie didn't so they were looking for Walt in that regard. And don't bring up the toilet in the hatch. You think sharing one bathroom with your two roomates is bad, try sharing it with 40 stinky survivors.

Why couldn't women have babies on the island? That was Jacobs thing. Part of it was crowd control. Part of it was that he didn't want children to have to grow up in a harsh environment. He didn't want children robbed of their innocence. Though sometimes he made exceptions for various reasons, i.e. the mothers were candidates, or maybe he just felt like changing things up. He was kind of fickle like that.

What was the deal with the numbers? They were just there to reinforce the notion that some people/things are meant to be together. The Losties were always crossing paths much like the numbers. The numbers wer ealso an extention of the light/dark, life/death theme epitomized by the glowing cave. The numbers bring good fortune and great harm just like the glowing cave. They take life and they give live. That's why Jacob assigned the numbers to the candidates. The Losties represented life, and death. They gave their lives and they took lives. They lived life and created life.

Where did the Dharma food drop from season 2 come from if the Island Dharma folk were all dead? The Others had an inside man at Dharma HQ back in the States hooking them up.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 32
    Rummy1 wrote:
    Isn't one of the themes of the show all about making your own choices?
    Leaving certain elements open to interpretation is fine but not when it includes basic plot points leaving you guessing what is even going on.
    Rummy1 wrote:
    Well the Others could tell that he had psychic powers and it's always good to have a psychic on your side.
    Then why did they send him away off the island to live his own life? The Others wanted him to use as a bargaining chip for Michael to bring about the Losties they really wanted like Jack so that he could perform the surgery on Ben.

Rummy1 wrote:
    Why couldn't women have babies on the island? That was Jacobs thing. Part of it was crowd control. Part of it was that he didn't want children to have to grow up in a harsh environment. He didn't want children robbed of their innocence. Though sometimes he made exceptions for various reasons, i.e. the mothers were candidates, or maybe he just felt like changing things up. He was kind of fickle like that.
    Why did he wait seemingly thousands of years to enact such a policy?
    Rummy1 wrote:

What was the deal with the numbers? They were just there to reinforce the notion that some people/things are meant to be together. The Losties were always crossing paths much like the numbers.
    Or they did it for the sake of simply adding more mysterious activity.
    Rummy1 wrote:
    The numbers wer ealso an extention of the light/dark, life/death theme epitomized by the glowing cave. The numbers bring good fortune and great harm just like the glowing cave. They take life and they give live.

The numbers being the candidates you mean because the numbers themselves don't take and give life.
    Rummy1 wrote:
    That's why Jacob assigned the numbers to the candidates.

MIB made it seem it was just random numbers he came up with.
    Rummy1 wrote:

Where did the Dharma food drop from season 2 come from if the Island Dharma folk were all dead? The Others had an inside man at Dharma HQ back in the States hooking them up.
    I think they would've realized something must've happened to the group as they hadn't been receiving any feedback whatsoever for a few decades.

motleylil

[3]Jun 17, 2010
    • level: 19

I get what you mean. It's true that a considerable part of the experience was that we had the opportunity to interpret the show the way we wanted, to theories about most of the stuff they brought up. I had fun doing that. It's also true that if they just had a checklist of things to answers and went down that list explaining each and everything, they would only have been saying "What did you think this was? Well, you're wrong.", which goes against the fact that they encouraged the fans to theorize about it in the first place.

marto_dd

[4]Jun 18, 2010
    • level: 17

I like the way you're thinking in general. But I have some different answers for myself for some of those questions.

Especially about babies on the island.
    We all have seen that women can have babies on the island before the bomb exploded in the 70s. And we all have seen women having problems with that in the present. That pretty much says the reason was the bomb.
    Which kinda fits with everything in season 5. The main idea of the season was "We are the reason of our own suffering." So Sayid tried to kill an innocent boy and ended up creating a monster who ruined some part of his live. Jack tried to stop the Incident, but ended up creating it. And Juliet, my dear, lovely Juliet… She spent all her life trying to help women on the island and that brought her so much misery. And in the end she was the one to detonate the bomb, so she is responsible.

Edited on 06/18/2010 2:43pm

motleylil

[5]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 19

marto_dd wrote:

I like the way you're thinking in general. But I have some different answers for myself for some of those questions.

Especially about babies on the island.
    We all have seen that women can have babies on the island before the bomb exploded in the 70s. And we all have seen women having problems with that in the present. That pretty much says the reason was the bomb.
    Which kinda fits with everything in season 5. The main idea of the season was "We are the reason of our own suffering." So Sayid tried to kill an innocent boy and ended up creating a monster who ruined some part of his live. Jack tried to stop the Incident, but ended up creating it. And Juliet, my dear, lovely Juliet… She spent all her life trying to help women on the island and that brought her so much misery. And in the end she was the one to detonate the bomb, so she is responsible.

My god, you're so right.