Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Important up in the air questions.

ImNotDarioUAre

[1]May 23, 2010
    • level: 11

As expected for anyone following the show, Lost ended with many many unanswered questions. Some feel that these unanswered questions leavee the story unfinished while others feel like if they had answered those questions than it just wouldnt be Lost.

Either way, alot was left up to interpretation and speculation, The ending of Lost is a fanfic writers wet dream. So many unanswered questions to explore.

I just wanted to compile a list of all the important questions that were left unanswered ( And by important I mean things that directly affected the plot, not things like does Sawyer really love Kate or some crap like that.) I'm not complaining that these questions weren't answered (well most of them anyway) I just am trying to remember them all.

1. Walt

At the end of Season 1 he seemed like he would be a key character in the series but was in the end pretty trivial. Why was he "special" and if he was so "special" why didnt he appear past season 2 save for a few cameos. This question was sort of answered on Jimmy Kimmell though.

2. Eloise

We know that she was once the leader of The Others and at some point left the island. What we don't know is why she is impervious to time travel ( knowing that Desmond was having Flashbacks). It seems like a small thing but it would be good to know how the character who some how knows everything... ya know... knows everything.

3. The Others

This one kind of annoys me. They never explained what the hell The Others were there for. That was like the biggest mystery in seasons 2 and 3 yet it never got answered.

My Own speculation: They're job is to make sure the people whom Jacob brings to the island to prove Smokie wrong, stay on the island. With changes to technology and stuff it probably got harder to keep people on the island once he brought them there with things like boats and stuff. Either that or that they are just there to protect the island because Jacob is unable to do it as one man, especially when the U.S Military arrived.

4. The Numbers

Now if anyone one says "Well we already got a good enough explanation for the numbers" I will hunt you down and shoot you in the face. No. Shut up. It was not an any where near decent answer. These numbers were messing with our minds since season 1 and we still never got anything but "They correspond to the candidates". Thats not an answer that's just another reference to the numbers. Did you all forget the distress signal that brought Rousseu to the island? or the fact that they are the Password to stop the apocalyse in the hatch?

5. The Rules

This one probably shouldnt have been answered because it would cheapen the mystery of the show but I still kindof would liketo know who the hell makes these rules and how come they can do that? Why can Jacob do all the things he does? Why can crazy mother lady make it so that Jacob and Smokie can't kill each other, why can't smokie kill candidates? the list goes on and on.

6.Smokie

I wish this one was answered because the main point of LOST was defeating Smokie and protecting the Island. But it never did explain why letting smokie off the island was a bad thing. It would be great to know the reason the heroes are doing what they are doing or if there is a reason at all. From what we've seen, Smokie's been right about everything and there is nothing to protect. Jack pretty much died for nothing without this answer.

Other people mention the food drop but I don't see what's confusing about that. We saw from Elenor's Lab that the Dharma intiative existed outside of the island and we know that Desmond was still in the hatch pressing the button. Common sense would tell us that Dharma drops the food down every once in a while for who ever is in the hatch.

Well thats all the questions I can think of. If anyone else has any more add them to the list. If anyone possibly has any answeres please share.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

targetmarket

[2]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2

I wasn't able to watch all of Kimmel tonight. What was the reason Walt kind of disappeared from the story line? thanks

ImNotDarioUAre

[3]May 24, 2010

Well they said his actor got a growth spurt and shot up.

They were joking and laughing at the time so this can't really be taken as a definite answer but it makes sense. The first four seasons are supposed to be around 90 days so it wouldnt make sense for Walt to suddenly be 8 feet tall with zits all over his face.

ImNotDarioUAre

[4]May 24, 2010

Also why were The Others so bad? How come they chose to murder and kidnap the survivors instead of just telling them what was going on?

7: Smokie and Jacob's battle

So we know that Smokie wants to leave and Jacob won't let him. We know that Jacob thinks people are inwardly good and Smokie thinks they are inwardly evil. Jacob brings people to the island to observe them and prove to Smokie that he's wrong. Smokie then kills who Jacob brings to the island. Why however does he do that last part and how are any of these things related? How will proving to Smokie that people are good stop him from wanting to leave the island and why the bloody hell does Smokie kill all of these people if he doesn't give two sh!ts about the island and whether it gets corrupted or not?

8. Sickness

This one is really confusing. We know that the sickness infected Rousseu's team and caused them to kill one another. We also know that Sayid and Claire were infected. But what causes the sickness? Why didn't Sayid ever go crazy or was the sickness he and Claire got different from the sickness Rousseu warned them about? I just don't see why they would introduce this element of the story without delving deeper into it.

9. The Second Hatch

I don't remember nor care what it was called. This is Dharma question so it's not really intergeral to the plot. Lost tricked us in the begining by making us think that Dharma intiative was related to the reason they all were on the island making us think that there were more important questions than there really were. However the one that kinda gets me is how come they did the experiment with the second hatch? Are they just dicks?

10. How come opening the light transports you off the island. Smokie knew it would happen because he was special and I get that but I want to know why it happenes.

My own speculation: Electromagnatic energy runs all through out the earth and is all connected. When someone close enough to the large pocket of energy in the island (not close enough to be killed by it though) then you are transported throught the electromagnetic channels to somewhere else in the world. It didnt work for Desmond because he was immune to the energy. Why is he immune? Fuk you thats why. meh thats about the only answer the creators gave us.

11. How come people kept seeing walt

That ones self explanitory. Why? And why did they tell Locke that he had work to do? What did he even have to do? He killed Naomi but that didnt exactly turn out good now did it? And why the hell did he think that "Work to do" translates into "Kill that lady who came down on the parachute."

DanielVDell

[5]May 24, 2010
    Walt's lack of answers I've come to terms with. I think WHY he was special wasn't as important as the fact that he IS special, and the fact that this has to do with some kind of psychic powers isn't really important. Kind of lame, yes.

Eloise... eh, I can live with never finding out about her.

The Others was kind of subtly answered in Ab Aeterno I think. Your explanation is correct.

The Numbers I guessed were sort of answered in the Lost Experience... plus, they always said they would probably never answer that question.

The Rules and Smokey should have definitely been answered. I understand the sort of ambiguity they left with some things, but everything is really lazy. Smokey just coming out of the Heart of the Island makes no sense and neither does its mechanical noises--if Smokey is really that old, I'd like to know why its noises are mechanical. I think that's kind of proof they had a totally different idea for the Monster and ended up going this route.

The food drop and pregnancy issues are definitely ones that need answered and I'm talking spoon-feeding. The food drop makes no sense given that Dharma as a whole, including outside the Island, collapsed. The pregnancy issues were such a huge deal on the Island, to not provide an adequate answer is absurd.

The Sickness was answered early in the season and I'm not sure what second hatch you're referring to.

But, yeah. Saying the show was about characters is just a cop-out. Yes, it was, but the writers also provided MANY, MANY questions and to not answer them just makes large portions of the show pointless. I was expecting an answer to the food drop, pregnancy issues, as well as the cabin--who was the man sitting in the chair?

I liked the finale overall, but the lack of answers was totally disappointing and rendered many, many episodes very unnecessary. If they hadn't gone with less-than-full final seasons, things would have wrapped up a lot nicer.

ImNotDarioUAre

[6]May 24, 2010

DanielVDell wrote:
    Walt's lack of answers I've come to terms with. I think WHY he was special wasn't as important as the fact that he IS special, and the fact that this has to do with some kind of psychic powers isn't really important. Kind of lame, yes. Eloise... eh, I can live with never finding out about her. The Others was kind of subtly answered in Ab Aeterno I think. Your explanation is correct. The Numbers I guessed were sort of answered in the Lost Experience... plus, they always said they would probably never answer that question. The Rules and Smokey should have definitely been answered. I understand the sort of ambiguity they left with some things, but everything is really lazy. Smokey just coming out of the Heart of the Island makes no sense and neither does its mechanical noises--if Smokey is really that old, I'd like to know why its noises are mechanical. I think that's kind of proof they had a totally different idea for the Monster and ended up going this route. The food drop and pregnancy issues are definitely ones that need answered and I'm talking spoon-feeding. The food drop makes no sense given that Dharma as a whole, including outside the Island, collapsed. The pregnancy issues were such a huge deal on the Island, to not provide an adequate answer is absurd. The Sickness was answered early in the season and I'm not sure what second hatch you're referring to. But, yeah. Saying the show was about characters is just a cop-out. Yes, it was, but the writers also provided MANY, MANY questions and to not answer them just makes large portions of the show pointless. I was expecting an answer to the food drop, pregnancy issues, as well as the cabin--who was the man sitting in the chair? I liked the finale overall, but the lack of answers was totally disappointing and rendered many, many episodes very unnecessary. If they hadn't gone with less-than-full final seasons, things would have wrapped up a lot nicer.

The thingthat doesnt sit well with me about Walt is that they made him out to be so important in to the begining and then just tossed him aside. What was the point if making him "special" if they weren't going to use him for the other 4 seasons. The Rules (as in how they got their power and why these people have to follow them) were never adequately explained. For the food drop thing, again we don't know that the entire Dharma intiative is down do we? We just know that the main Dharma that was on the island was wiped out. I still don't see why their can't be some small sector of Dharma still out there that drops food to who ever is in the hatch. I'd still really would like to know what causes the sickness and I don't ever remember that being explained.

The hatch I'm referring to was a hatch that Locke and Ecko found that said the original hatch was just a psychological experiment. They told the subjects that they had to press a button every 108 minutes and they were studying them to see if they would actually do it and how long they would do it for. The second hatch had cameras watching everything that was going on in the original hatch and the observes wrote down journalsof everything they saw and sent them up a tube to rest of the Dharma initiative. We, of course know that that was all a lie. The thing in the original hatch WAS real and we saw in the Season 3 finale that the journals they sent up werent connected to anything. So ... Why?

12. Jacob's Cabin

What the hell was going on with that? The incedent with Locke can be explained by the smoke monster (although it doesnt explain how he was able to shake it like that. The cabin shook like it was in an earthquake not like it was being thrashed around by a monster. Plus we would have heard it's mechanical noises.) But we can't explain how it moves around like that and how come only Hurley and Locke can see it. I haven't seen the episode in a while so I don't remember if the other candidates couldnt see it or not but it might have something to do with candidacy.

13. Dharma Catastrophe/Pregnancy

I wasn't going to put this one because I thought it was already answered by the Dharma catastrophe. Dharma drilled into the electromagnetic pocket and all hell broke loose which is why the people in the hatch wear those hasmat suits. However that doesnt all add up because while the Dharma purge occoured after the catastrophe and all the initiative seemed perfectly healthy (aside from the whole being killed by The Others thing.) So how come the people in the hatch thought that outside of the hatch was so lethal?

14. Ben/Sayid

At the begining of this season we were led to believe that going back to 1970 changed the events of the present and caused a split in the time stream which was why Ben didn't remember Sayid shooting him in the chest. But now we know that that isn't true. All that happened when they activated the bomb was that it activated the electromagnetic activity and caused another time flash. So there is no alternate time stream. So, as proposed by the characters in the show, how come Ben didn't remember the face of the man who shot him in the chest, especially after he was beating the living day lights out of him? And for that matter, why the flying fuk did only the survivors time-flash that time. It made sense with the original time flashes because they were on the island when the time flashes were activated so they flashed with it. But this time the Dharma initiative was there when it activated so why didn't they flash too?

gorman87

[7]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:

14. Ben/Sayid

At the begining of this season we were led to believe that going back to 1970 changed the events of the present and caused a split in the time stream which was why Ben didn't remember Sayid shooting him in the chest. But now we know that that isn't true. All that happened when they activated the bomb was that it activated the electromagnetic activity and caused another time flash. So there is no alternate time stream. So, as proposed by the characters in the show, how come Ben didn't remember the face of the man who shot him in the chest, especially after he was beating the living day lights out of him? And for that matter, why the flying fuk did only the survivors time-flash that time. It made sense with the original time flashes because they were on the island when the time flashes were activated so they flashed with it. But this time the Dharma initiative was there when it activated so why didn't they flash too?

Remember when Richard took Ben from Kate and I think Sawyer?

Well he said that if he took him and helped save his life then he wouldn't remember anything about that whole ordeal and that he would become an Other. so I guess they took him to the temple and used the same pool where they tried to save Sayid. so its like little Ben had amnesia and he forgot ever meeting Sayid after Richard and the Others took him. he went back to live in the Dharma initiative (as seen during the purge) but he was always an Other.

The Dharma people didn't flash with them when the bomb exploded because that was their original time period. Same reason when Ben moved the island and the original flash happened, Locke who had just met up with Richard and the Others to become their new leader, he was left alone after the flash and had to go find Sawyer Juliet and the other survivors. it seems it had to do with the people belonging in their own time period.

Talesin23

[8]May 24, 2010
    When it comes to Eloise, after last season i thought the reason she knew what was supposed to happen with Desmond, was because Daniel gave her his book when he died. And since she was in control of the lamppost, i also assumed she was the one making sure Dharma continued with dropping food, especially since she would know Desmond was the one pushing the button.

ImNotDarioUAre

[9]May 24, 2010
    gorman87 wrote:
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:

14. Ben/Sayid

Well he said that if he took him and helped save his life then he wouldn't remember anything about that whole ordeal and that he would become an Other. so I guess they took him to the temple and used the same pool where they tried to save Sayid. so its like little Ben had amnesia and he forgot ever meeting Sayid after Richard and the Others took him. he went back to live in the Dharma initiative (as seen during the purge) but he was always an Other.

The Dharma people didn't flash with them when the bomb exploded because that was their original time period. Same reason when Ben moved the island and the original flash happened, Locke who had just met up with Richard and the Others to become their new leader, he was left alone after the flash and had to go find Sawyer Juliet and the other survivors. it seems it had to do with the people belonging in their own time period.

Okay you're right I guess that make a little bit more sense. But it brings up the problem of how come the survivors jumped and the others didnt? They were all apart of the same time line.

gorman87

[10]May 24, 2010
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:
    gorman87 wrote:
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:

14. Ben/Sayid

Okay you're right I guess that make a little bit more sense. But it brings up the problem of how come the survivors jumped and the others didnt? They were all apart of the same time line.

well also remember that at the same time Richard took little Ben after he got shot he said that "he will be like us" meaning the Others. somehow they became tied to the island when they went thru all their rituals to become an Other.

thats just my interpretation but I think it makes sense.

Thats a BIG reason why I am happy they didn't give trivial little answers to all the mysteries/questions. it lets fans think of their own interpretations, be open-minded, and share ideas about the show. it will allow the show to live on for a long, long time thru all the fans

ImNotDarioUAre

[11]May 24, 2010
    gorman87 wrote:
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:
    gorman87 wrote:
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:

14. Ben/Sayid

well also remember that at the same time Richard took little Ben after he got shot he said that "he will be like us" meaning the Others. somehow they became tied to the island when they went thru all their rituals to become an Other.

thats just my interpretation but I think it makes sense.

Thats a BIG reason why I am happy they didn't give trivial little answers to all the mysteries/questions. it lets fans think of their own interpretations, be open-minded, and share ideas about the show. it will allow the show to live on for a long, long time thru all the fans

That's certainly true. Like I said this show is fanfic writer's wet dream. So many important things for fans to look at and think of their own explanations.

MaiaCdola

[12]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4
    I think the most important question is:

WHAT THE F*** WAS THE ISLAND ANYWAY??

FallingDown1986

[13]May 24, 2010
    • level: 20
    What was the purpose of Matthew Abaddon and who is he really?

ImNotDarioUAre

[14]May 24, 2010
    MaiaCdola wrote:
    I think the most important question is:

WHAT THE F*** WAS THE ISLAND ANYWAY??

Well we know that there are pockets of electromagnetic energy all over the world and the largest pocket is known as the island. The energy has almost super natural properties which gave the island its magic. Because it is such a large concentration of EM energy it can travel along other streams of EM energy and go various places in time and space. (space meaing places not outer space )

ImNotDarioUAre

[15]May 24, 2010
    FallingDown1986 wrote:
    What was the purpose of Matthew Abaddon and who is he really?

Idk who you're talking about.

avi01

[16]May 24, 2010
    • level: 26
    :
    6.Smokie

I wish this one was answered because the main point of LOST was defeating Smokie and protecting the Island. But it never did explain why letting smokie off the island was a bad thing. It would be great to know the reason the heroes are doing what they are doing or if there is a reason at all. From what we've seen, Smokie's been right about everything and there is nothing to protect. Jack pretty much died for nothing without this answer.

Well Smokey is a creature that:
    1-is not human
    2-turns into a black smoke that can kill people

I think that right here explains it. Given that he was doing on the island, it would simply be catastrophic to let him in civilization.

ImNotDarioUAre

[17]May 24, 2010
    avi01 wrote:
    :
    6.Smokie

1-is not human

I think that right here explains it. Given that he was doing on the island, it would simply be catastrophic to let him in civilization.

But remember this is Jacob's brother, whom he trusts and loves. Something must of happened to make Jacob think that he was so dangerous.

avi01

[18]May 24, 2010
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:
    avi01 wrote:
    :
    6.Smokie

1-is not human

But remember this is Jacob's brother, whom he trusts and loves. Something must of happened to make Jacob think that he was so dangerous.

The really question is what happened to him in that cave. I guess we are to assume that contact with the light made him that. As for why is it bad for him to leave, it is pretty obvious to me.

ImNotDarioUAre

[19]May 24, 2010
    avi01 wrote:
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:
    avi01 wrote:
    :
    6.Smokie

1-is not human

The really question is what happened to him in that cave. I guess we are to assume that contact with the light made him that. As for why is it bad for him to leave, it is pretty obvious to me.

Well it isn't obvious to me. He kills and murders because he can't leave, if he can't leave because he kills and murders that wouldnt make much sense.

avi01

[20]May 24, 2010
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:
    avi01 wrote:
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:
    avi01 wrote:
    :
    6.Smokie

1-is not human

Well it isn't obvious to me. He kills and murders because he can't leave, if he can't leave because he kills and murders that wouldnt make much sense.

he is a Smoke MONSTER...we can`t assume he won`t kill if he leaves, he is dangerous by nature.