Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

It seems that many people have missed the point

motleylil

[21]May 24, 2010
    • level: 19

fish7474 wrote:
    True that Lost was a character-driven show. What drives characters in a television show? IMO, it's the situation(s) in which they find themselves and how they react to those situations. The mysteries do matter, however, do you really need the answer to every single question? I mean, do you know why YOU exist? Is that a question that anyone can answer? We have unanswered questions in life, so why is it 'unacceptable' where Lost is concerned?

Thank you.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gorman87

[22]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7
    motleylil wrote:

fish7474 wrote:
    True that Lost was a character-driven show. What drives characters in a television show? IMO, it's the situation(s) in which they find themselves and how they react to those situations. The mysteries do matter, however, do you really need the answer to every single question? I mean, do you know why YOU exist? Is that a question that anyone can answer? We have unanswered questions in life, so why is it 'unacceptable' where Lost is concerned?

Thank you.

YES!! perfect. The mysteries are important, like you said, for the ways the characters reacted and grew from their experiences. but that is all they are for. its the MYSTERY & MYTHOLOGY that is important NOT THE ANSWERS. you are spot on in this post. these PEOPLE who go through extraordinary circumstances and situations and better themselves and create these amazing relationships are the REAL story here. everyone needs to listen to the interviews that Carlton and Damon give. they even say this story has always been about these characters.

the characters do not become all-knowing and omnipresent at the end so why should the audience. we were brought along for the ride six years ago and it was like we were on the island with them, experiencing things as they did.

people complain about how the super-flashback episodes (about jacob/MIB) were poorly done and didn't really tell us anything. well...after seeing everything I think they served their purpose just fine. even though they were a little boring, their purpose was to give us just enough back story to realize why it was important for Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and everyone else to do what they had to do. Not to just be like 'oh OK here are all the answers to your questions.'

and I think one of the most important things happened at the beginning of "The End". when Sawyer talked to Jack down by the water and asked him if he felt any different. Jack simply said 'nope i feel about the same'. this was perfect as it showed he was still the same man who had gone through all these trials and tribulations, that he didn't get this huge clarifying moment and he didn't get to know everything about everything, meant alot to me.

The ending was perfect and beautiful. and I really don't want to hear people tell me I don't understand that the writers didn't fill in every single little plot-hole, because I do realize that they didn't answer all the damn questions, but that's just not important to me because I understand what the creators were trying to do and what story they were trying to tell.

At the End of all things, these people Found each other again and were happy and were moving on together. It was always about these people and their relationships with each other.

Finally, LOST was found.

KingofIPirates

[23]May 24, 2010
    • level: 32
    fish7474 wrote:
    The mysteries do matter, however, do you really need the answer to every single question?
    Not every single question but a majority would be nice so that they're aren't glaring holes in what should be a relatively coherent plot. Making mysteries for the sake of adding mystery to a show with absolutely no payoff tends to leave a sour taste when it all ends.
    fish7474 wrote:
    We have unanswered questions in life, so why is it 'unacceptable' where Lost is concerned?
    Because unlike Life this is fiction where everything can be answered.
    gorman87 wrote:

YES!! perfect. The mysteries are important, like you said, for the ways the characters reacted and grew from their experiences. but that is all they are for. its the MYSTERY & MYTHOLOGY that is important NOT THE ANSWERS.
    Without any reasonable answers the mysteries themselves all but turn out to be pointless and characters primarily grow from conflict not things they don't know.
    gorman87 wrote:
    these PEOPLE who go through extraordinary circumstances and situations and better themselves and create these amazing relationships are the REAL story here. everyone needs to listen to the interviews that Carlton and Damon give. they even say this story has always been about these characters.
    If it was completely about the characters why even bring up legions of mysterious activity if they weren't that important.

gorman87 wrote:

the characters do not become all-knowing and omnipresent at the end so why should the audience.
    Because the characters aren't the ones being entertained but the audience.

buildam2005

[24]May 24, 2010
    • level: 14

Here's another thing that hasn't been brought up. Everyone's saying that this show is all about the characters, and I agree (think about the differences between a show like LOST and CSI--there's nothing interesting about CSI's characters, really).

HOWEVER, look at the characters at the end of season five, and compare them to this season. Have they really changed? Have they demonstrated any significant development? I realize that not a lot of real time occurred on-island in season six, but still--for sixteen or so episodes, we should see some interesting shifts and new depth to relationships. How are the characters really any different at the end of this season than they were at the close of season five? Sure there's some surface stuff--such as Claire being crazy and Sayid being a zombie. But how has Jack developed? Sawyer? Kate? What did this season say or do for people?

fish7474

[25]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4
    fish7474 wrote:
    We have unanswered questions in life, so why is it 'unacceptable' where Lost is concerned?
    Because unlike Life this is fiction where everything can be answered

Not everything can be answered, and that is the point. Can anyone answer exactly how time travel works? Did the bomb actually go off or did it just transport them through time? If it did go off, why didn't they die? If it transported them trough time, how does that work? Does it matter? The characters are what matter the most. Yes, it would be nice to have some answers, but to have to spell out every detail right down to how it works wouldn't be very interesting to me at all. Since Hugo liked Star Wars references so much, I'll use one. How did the Death Star work? Would the science of how something generates enough energy to blow up a planet really be that fascinating to the viewers? All I'm saying is that it's too big to explain. Every answer would only lead to another question. I wish they would have answered some questions specifically, but leaving it open to interpretation shows they trust the audience to come up with their own conclusions. Even if they tried to explain everything, people would still try to blow holes in it.

FatosAkpinar

[26]May 24, 2010
    • level: 1
    they dont have to answer all the questions but pleaseeee stop saying how nice the ending was because it wasn't. they did not answer many many questions so that just ruined the hole ending. i mean come on what was that about, when and how did Hurley die, i thought he was the new Jacob. you cant say 'ohhh who cares about the light and the dark' because if it wasn't for them they wouldn't have come to the island. can some one please explain the ending.

Megaman200798

[27]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13

fish7474 wrote:

Are you serious? We're talking about a TV show. They CREATED this questions and they don't have the decency to give us any answers. What was the point of having SO many questions if they had NO clue where to go with them?

fish7474

[28]May 24, 2010
    FatosAkpinar wrote:
    they dont have to answer all the questions but pleaseeee stop saying how nice the ending was because it wasn't. they did not answer many many questions so that just ruined the hole ending. i mean come on what was that about, when and how did Hurley die, i thought he was the new Jacob. you cant say 'ohhh who cares about the light and the dark' because if it wasn't for them they wouldn't have come to the island. can some one please explain the ending.

Jimmy Kimmel, I think, said it best last night after the show. What we saw was Jack's test. The story began with Jack, and it ended with Jack. When and how Hurley died could be another series entirely. Jack was always the main focus of the show so when he died, that was it. Like Christian said, 'Everyone dies eventually.' That's what happened to Hugo...he eventually died. Hugo and Ben protected the island until they died. 'How' doesn't matter within the context of Jack's story. That's what this all was...Jack's story.

Torzhestvuyushe

[29]May 24, 2010
    • level: 11

There seems to be this attitude that it was "all about the characters and not about the mysteries". If that is true, then why were the mysteries so central to the show? The mysteries were always intended to be a big part of the story and they answered many of them. But at some point, the story became so complicated that the writers felt it easier to just "change gears" and make it "all about the characters" and ignore the mysteries, when it was about both in the previous season. I'm tired of this "one or the other" attitude that people have about this show. Character development and mysteries are not mutually exclusive. They went beautifully together in the first five seasons, but then in this last one in many ways, the writers decided to focus on only one. In interviews, they revealed that the original intent of the show was to have no mysteries. It was just going to be like "Cast Away". It was going to be an emotional drama about survivors of a plane crash on an island. Then it was decided that the island was going to be "weird" and that mystery was going to be central to the story. So don't try and pretend that the mysteries were never intended to be important because they definitely were. This ending was overly-emotional and just appealed to emotions in order to distract people from the more "logical" side of the ending. Why they couldn't have done both is still beyond me.

I'm also tired of the attitude that the people who didn't like the ending wanted "every single question answered". Most people have already indicated they don't want that. I certainly didn't. But there were many holes and it became extremely clear with this last season just how much of it was made up on the spot.

Edited on 05/24/2010 11:47am

KingofIPirates

[30]May 24, 2010
    fish7474 wrote:

Not everything can be answered, and that is the point. Can anyone answer exactly how time travel works? Did the bomb actually go off or did it just transport them through time? If it did go off, why didn't they die? If it transported them trough time, how does that work? Does it matter? The characters are what matter the most. Yes, it would be nice to have some answers, but to have to spell out every detail right down to how it works wouldn't be very interesting to me at all. Since Hugo liked Star Wars references so much, I'll use one. How did the Death Star work? Would the science of how something generates enough energy to blow up a planet really be that fascinating to the viewers? All I'm saying is that it's too big to explain. Every answer would only lead to another question. I wish they would have answered some questions specifically, but leaving it open to interpretation shows they trust the audience to come up with their own conclusions. Even if they tried to explain everything, people would still try to blow holes in it.

The rules of time travel is up to the author/creator so that question is subjective.

Seemed the light went off before the explosion as that's the only medium through which time travel has been carried out.

Up to the creator of the series to make that rule and the rules of time travel for this show were never really explained, it was always just the light which somehow happens to be in all of us.

While characters are what matters, doesn't mean you can treat the mysteries like the redheaded stepchild completely ignoring it. Not saying you have to spell out everything, just don't leave the majority of the mysterious activity forgotten with absolutely no payoff ultimately making them feel like a cheap one-night stand better yet a tease.

Death Star? We're not dealing with the technical aspects of complex machinery..(even so many do find that interesting as they somehow manage to make technobabble fit perfectly in shows like Star Trek) just glaring mysteries constantly thrown in our face for cheap suspense. I mean even mystery novels don't use the answer is too big to explain in their conclusions.
    Plus the Death Star itself has never been introduced as a form of literarily device where knowing how it works seems relevant to the plot as is what mysteries do.
    In fiction no answer is too big to explain, The Imagination can solve every conceivable problem; now how you go about presenting those solutions that's another thing.

The only time that every answer leads to more questions is if those answers are vague and open-ended themselves. Case in point Fake Mom asking MIB how he knew how to manipulate the light. His answer... 'It's because I'm special'. How exactly does that tell you anything if you don't even attempt to elaborate on that and they've been following this model for much of the series.

Leaving it open-ended is also an indication of lazy writing, and them not having much of an idea how to answer these questions in the first place but as it has been revealed that they're answers conveniently in the Season 6 DVD; it seems it was just a ploy milk more money out of the stands.

fish7474 wrote:

Jimmy Kimmel, I think, said it best last night after the show. What we saw was Jack's test. The story began with Jack, and it ended with Jack. When and how Hurley died could be another series entirely. Jack was always the main focus of the show so when he died, that was it. Like Christian said, 'Everyone dies eventually.' That's what happened to Hugo...he eventually died. Hugo and Ben protected the island until they died. 'How' doesn't matter within the context of Jack's story. That's what this all was...Jack's story.
    So as long as it's about Jack the other characters, mysteries and everything else all of a sudden don't matter now?
    Torzhestvuyushe wrote:
    There seems to be this attitude that it was "all about the characters and not about the mysteries". If that is true, then why were the mysteries so central to the show? The mysteries were always intended to be a big part of the story and they answered many of them. But at some point, the story became so complicated that the writers felt it easier to just "change gears" and make it "all about the characters" and ignore the mysteries, when it was about both in the previous season. I'm tired of this "one or the other" attitude that people have about this show. Character development and mysteries are not mutually exclusive. They went beautifully together in the first five seasons, but then in this last one in many ways, the writers decided to focus on only one. In interviews, they revealed that the original intent of the show was to have no mysteries. It was just going to be like "Cast Away". It was going to be an emotional drama about survivors of a plane crash on an island. Then it was decided that the island was going to be "weird" and that mystery was going to be central to the story. So don't try and pretend that the mysteries were never intended to be important because they definitely were. This ending was overly-emotional and just appealed to emotions in order to distract people from the more "logical" side of the ending. Why they couldn't have done both is still beyond me.
    Completely agree, I find it hard to believe that these two elements can't coexist and that we simply must choose one or the other. This seems to be the argument of most that continue to defend the series where it's perceived that in order to have good character development you have to ignore the mysterious aspect which simply is not true.
    Edited on 05/24/2010 12:15pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Torzhestvuyushe

[31]May 24, 2010
    buildam2005 wrote:

Here's another thing that hasn't been brought up. Everyone's saying that this show is all about the characters, and I agree (think about the differences between a show like LOST and CSI--there's nothing interesting about CSI's characters, really).

HOWEVER, look at the characters at the end of season five, and compare them to this season. Have they really changed? Have they demonstrated any significant development? I realize that not a lot of real time occurred on-island in season six, but still--for sixteen or so episodes, we should see some interesting shifts and new depth to relationships. How are the characters really any different at the end of this season than they were at the close of season five? Sure there's some surface stuff--such as Claire being crazy and Sayid being a zombie. But how has Jack developed? Sawyer? Kate? What did this season say or do for people?

I don't think those were the kind of answers that people wanted. I think people wanted the answers such as who made the supply drop? Why did the Others kidnap Cindy, Zach, and Emma, and what happened to them? What was so special about Walt and how did the Others plan to use him? Who did Ben signal with the mirror and what did he say? People aren't asking for complex answers in regards to the more "supernatural" aspects of how the wheel works and how the time travel works. We don't need to know that. But it's all those little things that were thrown in there to keep people interested that they never resolved.

gorman87

[32]May 24, 2010
    maybe the mysteries were supposed to be important, maybe not so much. but it was stated by the creators that the characters were always more important to the story.

the mysteries were more of the hook to grab everyone's attention. and when they started watching the show it was always supposed to be that the characters drove the story forward and the plot was centered around them. the mysteries were like the awe-inspiring tactics that just upped the ante on an already great character-driven show.

and yes i will cram that phrase (character-driven) down your throats because that is what Damon & Carlton say all the time this show was about. it is their show and thats what they said. also they even said this was going to be probably the most polarizing series finale in history. and if tv.com forums are just a small sample of the general public i would say they were right.

and maybe that is why its called a mystery. because there is no easy answer.

and now that i think about it, the very first episode had the sounds of the smoke monster in the jungle. so it wasn't "originally" supposed to just be like cast-away

Torzhestvuyushe

[33]May 24, 2010

gorman87 wrote:
    maybe the mysteries were supposed to be important, maybe not so much. but it was stated by the creators that the characters were always more important to the story. the mysteries were more of the hook to grab everyone's attention. and when they started watching the show it was always supposed to be that the characters drove the story forward and the plot was centered around them. the mysteries were like the awe-inspiring tactics that just upped the ante on an already great character-driven show. and yes i will cram that phrase (character-driven) down your throats because that is what Damon & Carlton say all the time this show was about. it is their show and thats what they said. also they even said this was going to be probably the most polarizing series finale in history. and if tv.com forums are just a small sample of the general public i would say they were right. and maybe that is why its called a mystery. because there is no easy answer. and now that i think about it, the very first episode had the sounds of the smoke monster in the jungle. so it wasn't "originally" supposed to just be like cast-away

No, that was the plan before the Pilot was even created. J.J. Abrams had the idea of a show about survivors on the island. There was no plan about weird things or mysteries. It was just going to be a drama. When Cuse and Lindelof came in, they then decided that the island was going to be weird.

And again, what's with this attitude that the show is either mystery-driven or character-driven? The two are not mutually exclusive. In the first five seasons, it was driven by both and then the at the end of this season, one was abandoned in favor of the other.

This is just my theory, but in my mind it was abandoned because the writers were in over their heads. There was too much to explain and it was easier to come up with an emotional ending that would hook everyone and make them forget about the mysteries. Some people just aren't like that. I'm not saying the ending was "bad", but it seemed there could've been a lot more.

And yes, I agree that it was extremely polarizing.

Edited on 05/24/2010 12:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kidcapri73

[34]May 24, 2010
    • level: 3
    The rules of time travel is up to the author/creator so that question is subjective.

Everyone knows you need a flux capacitor and a modified DeLorean to travel in time, and because I saw none of that in the finale to explain the time shifts the whole show sucked.

gorman87

[35]May 24, 2010
    gorman87 wrote:
    maybe the mysteries were supposed to be important, maybe not so much. but it was stated by the creators that the characters were always more important to the story.

the mysteries were more of the hook to grab everyone's attention. and when they started watching the show it was always supposed to be that the characters drove the story forward and the plot was centered around them. the mysteries were like the awe-inspiring tactics that just upped the ante on an already great character-driven show.

and yes i will cram that phrase (character-driven) down your throats because that is what Damon & Carlton say all the time this show was about. it is their show and thats what they said. also they even said this was going to be probably the most polarizing series finale in history. and if tv.com forums are just a small sample of the general public i would say they were right.

and now that i think about it, the very first episode had the sounds of the smoke monster in the jungle. so it wasn't "originally" supposed to just be like cast-away

also someone can right a story about time-travel if they want to and not explain how their version of traveling thru time works if they want to. because maybe they are trying to tell an interesting story using time travel but its not the main point of the story. of course it would be important but not the central part of it.

but in this case replace time-traveling with the mysteries and the central point is the characters. and there you have LOST. its their show they did what they wanted to do

KingofIPirates

[36]May 24, 2010
    gorman87 wrote:
    maybe the mysteries were supposed to be important, maybe not so much. but it was stated by the creators that the characters were always more important to the story. the mysteries were more of the hook to grab everyone's attention. and when they started watching the show it was always supposed to be that the characters drove the story forward and the plot was centered around them. the mysteries were like the awe-inspiring tactics that just upped the ante on an already great character-driven show.
    Despite their intentions that doesn't mean you can leave the mysterious elements within the plot completely in the dark. And if it were just a hook to grab everyone's attention, they shouldn't be surprised at the general reaction when many of those same mysteries that drew attention are completely ignored.
    gorman87 wrote:

and yes i will cram that phrase (character-driven) down your throats because that is what Damon & Carlton say all the time this show was about. it is their show and thats what they said.
    So? Just because it's character driven doesn't mean you ignore much of the elements that made up your plot initially. Nor does it mean that these two elements can't coexist.
    gorman87 wrote:

also they even said this was going to be probably the most polarizing series finale in history. and if tv.com forums are just a small sample of the general public i would say they were right.
    Yeah, after they realized they would profit more from giving the answers on the DVD

gorman87 wrote:

These are professional writers, just because it isn't easy doesn't mean it cannot be done effectively.
    gorman87 wrote:

also someone can right a story about time-travel if they want to and not explain how their version of traveling thru time works if they want to. because maybe they are trying to tell an interesting story using time travel but its not the main point of the story. of course it would be important but not the central part of it.
    Sure they can do that, but that ultimately only confuses the audience as they don't have much of any idea of the rules and eventually it cheapens the overall experience if it seems like the time travel merely acts as a convenient plot device.
    Interesting stories can be made while including the rules of time travel. This is not some impossiblity.
    [QUOTE="gorman87"]

but in this case replace time-traveling with the mysteries and the central point is the characters. and there you have LOST. Unlike time traveling which were few and far between, the mysteries were far more prevalent and ultimately became a part of the show just like the characters, so you can't simply pass this off as a rare occurence.
    gorman87 wrote:

its their show they did what they wanted to do

They have a right to do what they want, just don't expect a unified fanbase.
    Edited on 05/24/2010 12:13pm

fish7474

[37]May 24, 2010
    Megaman200798 wrote:

fish7474 wrote:

Are you serious? We're talking about a TV show. They CREATED this questions and they don't have the decency to give us any answers. What was the point of having SO many questions if they had NO clue where to go with them?

Are YOU serious?? Do you really want to say they didn't give us ANY answers? Come on!! Obviously some things have to be left open to interpretation. What would really happen if they told us where the light came from? We were told it was 'life, death, etc.' (I don't remember the exact quote, and I wouldn't want to misquote with this crowd). What does that mean? No matter what the writers say, it's going to be wrong for some people, so they leave it open for us to decide. They basically tell us what the numbers are, and people still complain that it's not enough. They say what the whispers are, and people complain that it was lame. They tell us who Adam & Eve are, and people are screaming that it should have been someone else. Some people can't be satisfied no matter what, so why would the writers give full explanation for everything just to have half the audience say that it was stupid or how it could have been better, etc. Trust your audience to make up their own minds what certain things mean.

gorman87

[38]May 24, 2010
    KingofIPirates wrote:

gorman87 wrote:

and yes i will cram that phrase (character-driven) down your throats because that is what Damon & Carlton say all the time this show was about. it is their show and thats what they said.
    So? Just because it's character driven doesn't mean you ignore much of the elements that made up your plot initially. Nor does it mean that these two elements can't coexist.

gorman87 wrote:

also they even said this was going to be probably the most polarizing series finale in history. and if tv.com forums are just a small sample of the general public i would say they were right.
    Yeah, after they realized they would profit more from giving the answers on the DVD

gorman87 wrote:

These are professional writers, just because it isn't easy doesn't mean it cannot be done effectively.

Well then here is another answer that is more effective but probably won't satisfy you either:

ITS THEIR SHOW THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.

now that was a bit of a callous way to put it, but it is their creation so they can put whatever creative license they want to on it. and there will always be people upset about how any tv show ends because different people will want different things, and with a show like LOST where there were 2 solid camps that wanted their own resolutions you will have one group give tremendous support and the other give explosive backlash. but I'm pretty sure they never said ok we will definitely give you the answer to this, this, and this. from all the recent interviews i've seen Damon & Carlton have said that they were going to conclude these characters' specific stories that they wanted to tell and where the answers fit along the way so be it but they weren't going to force things especially if it meant sacrificing character time to do it.

if they did say we will answer 'so & so' please point me in the right direction to the source.

and I'm just curious, did you enjoy the finale for what it was...the resolution of the characters' stories?

also, there was a 2 part ABC News video on the internet where Diane Sawyer interviews Damon & Carlton that some people may enjoy & find slightly illuminating. or watch the last time any of the actors or creators were on Kimmel (before the Aloha show)

Megaman200798

[39]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13

Torzhestvuyushe wrote:

I'm also tired of the attitude that the people who didn't like the ending wanted "every single question answered". Most people have already indicated they don't want that. I certainly didn't. But there were many holes and it became extremely clear with this last season just how much of it was made up on the spot.

I also didn't like them all dying. I wanted them to all leave the island safetly, live out their lives [Kate/Jack, Sawyer/Juliet] and THEN we get this ending.

gorman87

[40]May 24, 2010
    Megaman200798 wrote:

Torzhestvuyushe wrote:

I also didn't like them all dying. I wanted them to all leave the island safetly, live out their lives [Kate/Jack, Sawyer/Juliet] and THEN we get this ending.

well they did leave the island and live out their lives.

kate, sawyer, claire, miles, richard, & frank left in the ajira plane and made it back to civilization and lived their lives, probably staying in contact with each other cuz they all came to be so close.

jack died in the bamboo forest from his injuries, but he was pretty much at peace at this point.

hurley & ben stayed and lived on the island until they died.

and then, in some indeterminate time in the future, they all came together again in the flash-sideways, which was really their afterlife meeting place. it didn't matter when this was because like Christian told Jack, some people died before, some died after.