We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

It seems that many people have missed the point

CellBlocknutter

[41]May 24, 2010
    • level: 14

Ever wonder that your unwavering fandom might be colouring your judgement? It was absolutely pants. High exectations didn't make it dud, its the fact the show has spent 6 years makeing us come back answer and absolutely none were answered and very little was done to weave any of it together. It was awful writing for an aborted idea that was too big for them to deal with. I was even happy with the charecter resolutions. Jack and Kate are dull as ditchwater and they dominated it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Megaman200798

[42]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13

gorman87 wrote:
    well they did leave the island and live out their lives. kate, sawyer, claire, miles, richard, & frank left in the ajira plane and made it back to civilization and lived their lives, probably staying in contact with each other cuz they all came to be so close. jack died in the bamboo forest from his injuries, but he was pretty much at peace at this point. hurley & ben stayed and lived on the island until they died. and then, in some indeterminate time in the future, they all came together again in the flash-sideways, which was really their afterlife meeting place. it didn't matter when this was because like Christian told Jack, some people died before, some died after.

Who even knows if they made it off the island? After Jack plugged back the water, the electromagnetistim came back so in accordance with what we learned, it would have pulled the plane back to the island and crashed.

Kevnay777

[43]May 24, 2010
    • level: 8

Wow a lot of divided up people here but I think I'm one of the middlemen. I liked the finale but I disliked it at the same time. Yes the show's main focus was the characters and the finale did do a good job on closing it with the characters. But thats not what is all about too. The mysteries were a big part of the show too. I agree with the people that say that if they writers created the mysteries they should answer them. Now I'm not like one of those people that absolutely demands the answers but if most of them were answered that would have been nice. In my opinion the show only got shaky because the writers kept milking ideas out. I mean the first three seasons were pretty straight forward, they were really about the characters. But then we get into the fourth season and thats when the mysteries started becoming a vital part of the show too. Thats when everyone started getting divided. People are like "The show started with the characters and it should end with them". Others are like "No the mysteries need to be answered or their should be some closure on them!" I believe that the writers actually already knew that it was going to play out like this. They knew that they couldn't continue with the show so they attempted to answer questions with a final season. The problem is that they already created too much questions and it was going to be impossible to answer the questions like they promised. So they picked the first option: to end the show like they started it, with their characters. Now that satisfied some people but it angered a lot of others. I am in the middle, I liked and disliked. In my opinion their is or was only three ways to fix it.

1.Make another season-If they did this they could have used season 6 for what they did here. Season 7 should be about some characters traveling through time again and we can explore some of the mysteries like we did in season5.

2.Shouldn't have made an alternate universe- I remember the promos during the episodes of Lost I watched online, all of them were saying "We can change our destiny" then it had a whole bunch of reversed clips. Immediately I thought that they were going to time travel again to try to fix things, and we can explore the mysteries like in season 5. But instead we get an alternate universe. Now I thought the idea was cool at first but then I figured that it was all going downhill. They were telling another story when they should be wrapping things up.

3.Answers in DVD- Pretty obvious that they might do this.

See I'm not extremely mad about the finale but I felt that the writers cheated us by taking the easy way out, and that is to end the show on the characters only.

Edited on 05/24/2010 12:48pm

fish7474

[44]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4

KingofIPirates wrote:
    fish7474 wrote:
    Jimmy Kimmel, I think, said it best last night after the show. What we saw was Jack's test. The story began with Jack, and it ended with Jack. When and how Hurley died could be another series entirely. Jack was always the main focus of the show so when he died, that was it. Like Christian said, 'Everyone dies eventually.' That's what happened to Hugo...he eventually died. Hugo and Ben protected the island until they died. 'How' doesn't matter within the context of Jack's story. That's what this all was...Jack's story.
    So as long as it's about Jack the other characters, mysteries and everything else all of a sudden don't matter now?
    Essentially, yes. Jack is the 'hero' of the story. When the hero dies, the story is over. Everyone knows that. The other characters and mysteries mattered to a point, but the way they mattered the most was how they affected our 'hero,' Jack. For the record, that's my opinion. I didn't think I had to say that, but since everyone wants an explanation for everything, I thought I'd state it clearly.

SnarkBC

[45]May 24, 2010

No offense to the original poster, but you seem to only understand what you saw on the most basic, simple level. Let me try to explain for you why some people find the ending less than satisfying.

The ending ofLostcomes to a place without consequence or meaning; the Island storyline has literally no meaning because we never know what anybody was fighting for. Was it worth it for Jack to go back into the cave at the end, or should he have just flown out with the rest of the crew? And what was the point of the alt-timeline, since we didn't see many of these people really grow or change in significant ways? Did Sayid really have to go through Purgatory just to get over Nadia so that he could end up with Shannon, who was so mismatched with him that they were one of the worst primetime couples in history?

The reason for all of that, though, is bad storytelling - the creators wanted to give a happy ending curtain call, and this was what they came up with. The final minutes ofLost- the idea that this show would not turn out to be 'They were dead all along!' but rather 'And then they died and this is what happened when they died' - don't line up with what came before. While the show has always had ghosts and painfully on the nose religious allegory (I was happy to see Kate acknowledge what a clunker of a name Christian Shepherd is), it's been about free will versus fate and reason versus faith. Those have been, from day one, the driving forces behind the narrative. They have nothing really to do with everybody becoming Happy Heaven Friends. In fact, all of the show's basic themes are explored only in the on-island story, with the show's big message - nobody knows anything - coming through with the repeated trips to the cave that resembles the dilithium chamber fromWrath of Khan. This guy was wrong, that guy was wrong, this guy was right but in a way he never imagined - that's the final wrap up of it all. The show tangled free will and fate so closely - everything was planned by Jacob, but apparently his plan needed the Losties to make the decisions he wanted but couldn't force them to make - that they were indistinguishable at the end. That's dramatically frustrating but is thematically appropriate.

But Heaven isn't thematically appropriate. Especially not the happy hand-holding we get with our favorite characters having a big smiley moment. The Heaven finale belongs on another, smaller show. When Christian tells Jack that his years on the Island were the most important in his life you have to say 'No **** He was on a magic island with a monster and he was shot at and shot people and he traveled back in time. Of course these were the most important years. That message is much more powerful when applied to the mundane - a high school show that ends with a Heavenly high school reunion might mean something, telling you that the most ordinary parts are the ones that matter. The every day days, not the crazy days.Lostis a show only about crazy days. There's no revelation in learning that the magic Island was a big **** deal for you.

Season six's big theme seems to have been botched execution. It's what happened all year long, from the Temple story that went nowhere to the vague hints that Jacob could be less than perfect (hints that went nowhere because MiB was so evil the duality of the Island forces was unquestionable). Concepts were brought up and then dropped immediately; even the season-long time travel story ended up having nothing much to do with anything, in a real narrative way (thematically it allowed the show to dwell on free will versus fate for a bit, but botched execution once again - cut the time travel story and you pretty much have the same show, except you need a new reason to bring the Oceanic 6 back to the Island). To spend six years with these characters, in these increasingly bizarre scenarios, going through pain with them, examining the most basic aspects of good and evil... just to suddenly say 'What really matters is that they were important to one another' is whiplash inducing. Over six years the show kept widening the canvas, pulling back to show us more of the picture. Then at the last moment it slams to the most simplistic, trite place it could end up. The better ending would have been pulling back on the canvas to show that it was all fractal - 'As above, so below' - that the larger picture was the smaller picture. Instead the show dumped this for an easy, lazily metaphysical ending. Let's put it this way: any ending for a show likeLostthat feels like it could more or less be used to endany otherTV show in history is probably an oversimplified ending. The sappy afterlife stuff is an epilogue, not an ending, and it's an epilogue we didn't need. We didn't need to know what happens to the characters after they die, and finding out adds nothing to them or their stories

Mystic_Saiyan

[46]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7

fish7474 wrote:
    fish7474 wrote:
    We have unanswered questions in life, so why is it 'unacceptable' where Lost is concerned?
    Because unlike Life this is fiction where everything can be answered Not everything can be answered, and that is the point. Can anyone answer exactly how time travel works? Did the bomb actually go off or did it just transport them through time? If it did go off, why didn't they die? If it transported them trough time, how does that work? Does it matter? The characters are what matter the most. Yes, it would be nice to have some answers, but to have to spell out every detail right down to how it works wouldn't be very interesting to me at all. Since Hugo liked Star Wars references so much, I'll use one. How did the Death Star work? Would the science of how something generates enough energy to blow up a planet really be that fascinating to the viewers? All I'm saying is that it's too big to explain. Every answer would only lead to another question. I wish they would have answered some questions specifically, but leaving it open to interpretation shows they trust the audience to come up with their own conclusions. Even if they tried to explain everything, people would still try to blow holes in it.

You are mixing technical questions like how the time travel works, how does the island heal, how could people become 'semi-immortal' and etc. with important questions like who was the initial inhabitants of the island (which would be a closure unlike the Mother-story), what the purpose behind the cabin, and who lived in it, what was the "magic-box", who chased Sawyer and co. in the sea when they were time-travelling, who massacered the ajira passengers, and many more which I can't even remember.

Surely such questions could have been answered with a feel of completeness, like the story behind Richard, the smoke-monster, the whispering and etc.

So why even bother watching some very important mysteries weren't supposed to be answered, the main driving force behind the urge to watch the next epsiode was to get more insight into the mysteries introduced. But if it was known that there were no answers, the mysteries by themselves would immidiately have been pointless...

Character developement isn't bad but making it the focus and ignoring the one aspect which made the show great was what blew this show right off the water. This ending would have been perfect had it followed a satisfactory explaination behind the mysteries.

SnarkBC

[47]May 24, 2010

Screw the Islands history, who cares? How about important stuff like WHY DO WE HAVE TO SAVE THE island?! A crazy woman says if the light goes out it goes out every where? So what? The Apocalypse? Why did Jack save the island? Why not just escape on the plane and let the mother sink?

There are so many questions that can be considered "vital" to understanding the drama of the story that's happening around us. Those are the real problems with the unanswered mysteries. The important stuff that would have added to the drama of the story had things been a bit more clear.

gorman87

[48]May 24, 2010
    if you are talking about the "magic box" that Ben had Locke's dad in then you missed a lot of that.

it was a HOAX. Ben was trying to get Locke to trust him so he made up some BS about the "magic box" when all they really did was kidnap Locke's dad and bring him to island.

Brodoin15

[49]May 24, 2010
    • level: 20

Megaman200798 wrote:

gorman87 wrote:
    well they did leave the island and live out their lives. kate, sawyer, claire, miles, richard, & frank left in the ajira plane and made it back to civilization and lived their lives, probably staying in contact with each other cuz they all came to be so close. jack died in the bamboo forest from his injuries, but he was pretty much at peace at this point. hurley & ben stayed and lived on the island until they died. and then, in some indeterminate time in the future, they all came together again in the flash-sideways, which was really their afterlife meeting place. it didn't matter when this was because like Christian told Jack, some people died before, some died after.

Who even knows if they made it off the island? After Jack plugged back the water, the electromagnetistim came back so in accordance with what we learned, it would have pulled the plane back to the island and crashed.

I'm sorry, but that's just being a downer.

They weren't going to serve us every possible answer on a silver platter. Even if they did, it would only raise other questions.

It is very safe to say that after Jack died, Hurley and Ben protected the island, probably living with Rose and Bernard, and eventually got Desmond home. The others made it off the island.

Jack's sacrafice for his friends would have partly been in vain had they not gotten away.

---

Personally, the more I think about it, the more I like it. It was a good ending. You can't be upset that some questions weren't answered.

Megaman200798

[50]May 24, 2010

Brodoin15 wrote:

Personally, the more I think about it, the more I like it. It was a good ending. You can't be upset that some questions weren't answered.

As you shared, yourself, so many stones left unturned. Far too many questions left unanswered, leaving many of us to wonder if there are answers to those mysteries.

SnarkBC

[51]May 24, 2010

Oh god don't bring up the magic box. That damn magic box thing is INFAMOUS for bringing out the worst in Lost fans. People to this day take crap like that on this show so LITERALLY. It was a metaphor folks, an anology!

gorman87

[52]May 24, 2010
    Megaman200798 wrote:

Brodoin15 wrote:

As you shared, yourself, so many stones left unturned. Far too many questions left unanswered, leaving many of us to wonder if there are answers to those mysteries.

Sometimes you just gotta say "what the fudge"

maybe thats what they wanted to do. make you think for yourself and try to come up with your own conclusion to some of the mysteries. they told their story about their characters that they created. and they told some answers to some questions that they created. and they left some questions a mystery....that they created.

did they make some of it up as they went? sure, the creators even admitted to it in some interviews.

but did they also know where they ultimately wanted to end up? yes they absolutely did. they've stated this too. they've had the ending planned out for a long time.

Megaman200798

[53]May 24, 2010

gorman87 wrote:
    Sometimes you just gotta say "what the fudge" maybe thats what they wanted to do. make you think for yourself and try to come up with your own conclusion to some of the mysteries. they told their story about their characters that they created. and they told some answers to some questions that they created. and they left some questions a mystery....that they created. did they make some of it up as they went? sure, the creators even admitted to it in some interviews. but did they also know where they ultimately wanted to end up? yes they absolutely did. they've stated this too. they've had the ending planned out for a long time.

If they honestly had this ending picked out, they could have ended this copped out finale 4 seasons ago. We didn't need to know about Smokey, Richard, the temple, ANYTHING if this is what they had planned all along.

Seriously, if they had this planned out from the beginning, why create all the mysteries? Why not answer the ones they had instead of making new ones they KNEW they had no answers to?

Edited on 05/24/2010 1:31pm

fish7474

[54]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4

Megaman200798 wrote:

gorman87 wrote:
    Sometimes you just gotta say "what the fudge" maybe thats what they wanted to do. make you think for yourself and try to come up with your own conclusion to some of the mysteries. they told their story about their characters that they created. and they told some answers to some questions that they created. and they left some questions a mystery....that they created. did they make some of it up as they went? sure, the creators even admitted to it in some interviews. but did they also know where they ultimately wanted to end up? yes they absolutely did. they've stated this too. they've had the ending planned out for a long time.

If they honestly had this ending picked out, they could have ended this copped out finale 4 seasons ago. We didn't need to know about Smokey, Richard, the temple, ANYTHING if this is what they had planned all along.

Seriously, if they had this planned out from the beginning, why create all the mysteries? Why not answer the ones they had instead of making new ones they KNEW they had no answers to?

So what you're saying is that the story should have been..."they crashed, they fought, they died, they met in heaven, the end."? That's over-simplifying what happened, don't you think? Like I've said, I wished they had answered some questions definitively, but I'm glad their open-to-interpretation style didn't leave me as bitter as some of you.

Edited on 05/24/2010 1:37pm

Brodoin15

[55]May 24, 2010
    • level: 20

I think that it was made to be that way, to think onyour own.For example:

By finding the temple and statue, that causes me to think that people have been on this island for centuries. The temple looked like it was built with native America styles, like the Mayans or Aztecs, the statue looked Egyptian, and the foot looked Roman or Greek.

Some wanted to study it, like Dharma, and others probably came to worship it, like those who build the temple and statues.

The Numbers were for those of the Candidates, and while I know a lot of people didn't like this, that is what it seems to be. Perhaps Jacob was behind it all, with the Numbers being the code for the computer, on the Hatch, and as such. Though, I don't fully understand why they brought Hurley such bad luck.

But those are just my two cents on those two mysteries.

---

I will say that the flash-sideways is easy to understand the reason, once you think about it, however I do not fully understand all that went on in it. Like David and Jack and Juliet being ex. But I think it was to not only bring them back together after death, but to show that had the island never been there, beendestroyed long ago,they still would have all met up. Sawyer was partners with Miles, like he was in Dharmaville. Juliet allowed Sun to see the baby inside her, like on the island. Desmond was still the "key". And so on.

Edited on 05/24/2010 1:39pm

SnarkBC

[56]May 24, 2010

There is an internet-wide problem with understanding the difference between mysterious and a mystery. A mysterious thing isn't always a mystery - Bob Fett's history was not a mystery, and neither was the history of The Man With No Name.

A mystery, though, has an answer. It's a puzzle with a solution. Comparing LOST's mysteries to things that are simply mysterious is apples to oranges.

Megaman200798

[57]May 24, 2010

fish7474 wrote:

So what you're saying is that the story should have been..."they crashed, they fought, they died, they met in heaven, the end."? That's over-simplifying what happened, don't you think? Like I've said, I wished they had answered some questions definitively, but I'm glad their open-to-interpretation style didn't leave me as bitter as some of you.

"they crashed, they fought, they died, they met in heaven, the end."?

You got that right. It's over-simplified and that is EXACTLY what they did last night.

No answers to the questions they raised.

gorman87

[58]May 24, 2010

SnarkBC wrote:

There is an internet-wide problem with understanding the difference between mysterious and a mystery. A mysterious thing isn't always a mystery - Bob Fett's history was not a mystery, and neither was the history of The Man With No Name.

A mystery, though, has an answer. It's a puzzle with a solution. Comparing LOST's mysteries to things that are simply mysterious is apples to oranges.

semantics

you're attempting to provide concepts to support your idea. A mystery involves mysterious things. thats what makes it a mystery.

Edited on 05/24/2010 2:05pm

Kevnay777

[59]May 24, 2010

Brodoin15 wrote:

I think that it was made to be that way, to think onyour own.For example:

By finding the temple and statue, that causes me to think that people have been on this island for centuries. The temple looked like it was built with native America styles, like the Mayans or Aztecs, the statue looked Egyptian, and the foot looked Roman or Greek.

Some wanted to study it, like Dharma, and others probably came to worship it, like those who build the temple and statues.

The Numbers were for those of the Candidates, and while I know a lot of people didn't like this, that is what it seems to be. Perhaps Jacob was behind it all, with the Numbers being the code for the computer, on the Hatch, and as such. Though, I don't fully understand why they brought Hurley such bad luck.

But those are just my two cents on those two mysteries.

---

I will say that the flash-sideways is easy to understand the reason, once you think about it, however I do not fully understand all that went on in it. Like David and Jack and Juliet being ex. But I think it was to not only bring them back together after death, but to show that had the island never been there, beendestroyed long ago,they still would have all met up. Sawyer was partners with Miles, like he was in Dharmaville. Juliet allowed Sun to see the baby inside her, like on the island. Desmond was still the "key". And so on.

Actually after the finale the alt timeline wasn't really and alternate at all, it was like a place to meet up after they died, sort of like a heaven.

vodazz

[60]May 24, 2010
    Before the finale I also wanted answers badly and they seemed like the most important thing in the show. But after watching The End I honestly don't care about these answers anymore, because we got closure on a higher level than just question-answer (only in my opinion of course). So before watching it, that "every question will just lead to another question" idea seemed like total crap for me, but now I agree completely.