Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

It seems that many people have missed the point

AlaaP88

[61]May 24, 2010
    • level: 1
    So they just figured out that you would lose all your memories when you die or what? Why couldn't they just die and recognize each other when they meet and that's it? Is heaven their reward for killing the black smoke monster? I see lots of people reviews saying that everyone died in the plane crash and they have been dead since then!! How did they get that idea?!! The show only told us that they got to meet when they died and Jack's death being the key for the start of afterlife scenes. That's all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fish7474

[62]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4
    Megaman200798 wrote:

fish7474 wrote:

So what you're saying is that the story should have been..."they crashed, they fought, they died, they met in heaven, the end."? That's over-simplifying what happened, don't you think? Like I've said, I wished they had answered some questions definitively, but I'm glad their open-to-interpretation style didn't leave me as bitter as some of you.

"they crashed, they fought, they died, they met in heaven, the end."?

You got that right. It's over-simplified and that is EXACTLY what they did last night.

No answers to the questions they raised.

I'm sorry, that's just ridiculous.

Megaman200798

[63]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13

fish7474 wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:

fish7474 wrote:

So what you're saying is that the story should have been..."they crashed, they fought, they died, they met in heaven, the end."? That's over-simplifying what happened, don't you think? Like I've said, I wished they had answered some questions definitively, but I'm glad their open-to-interpretation style didn't leave me as bitter as some of you.

You got that right. It's over-simplified and that is EXACTLY what they did last night.

Care to clarify what you find so ridiculous? You stated yourself that the finale was over-simplifed.

Kevnay777

[64]May 24, 2010
    • level: 8

AlaaP88 wrote:
    So they just figured out that you would lose all your memories when you die or what? Why couldn't they just die and recognize each other when they meet and that's it? Is heaven their reward for killing the black smoke monster? I see lots of people reviews saying that everyone died in the plane crash and they have been dead since then!! How did they get that idea?!! The show only told us that they got to meet when they died and Jack's death being the key for the start of afterlife scenes. That's all.

Actually its kind of like this. Desmond made everyone remember their life on the island. So everyone's two lives, the island one and the alt universe one are connected into one consciousness. Which is why when everyone dies on the island their consciousness jumps into the alt universe because they are connected into one person now.

Voo_Bopo

[65]May 24, 2010
    • level: 9
    hockeyruler12 wrote:

The whole point of Lost was that these characters went through this journey together, and in the end they all reunited. Who cares what the light was, or why there were whispers in the jungle? The whole point was that in the end, their experience on the island brought them together, and in the end they had each other. They couldn't have closed off a wonderful series any better in my opinion. 10 years from now, you won't care about why MIB turned into the black smoke, or why Walt was so special, or what the Donkey wheel really did. You will care about Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Locke, Sun, Jin, Hurley, Desmond, etc. The whole point in Lost is that they created the most cared about characters TV or movies have ever seen and they showed us their journey to a mysterious island where not everything has to make sense. The point of the ending was closure. They all moved on past their mortal lives together. All in the same place.

I believe everything said here is true.

fish7474

[66]May 24, 2010
    Megaman200798 wrote:

fish7474 wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:

fish7474 wrote:

Care to clarify what you find so ridiculous? You stated yourself that the finale was over-simplifed.

No...I stated that YOUR interpretation of the series (they crashed, they fought, they died, they met in heaven) is ridiculous. They answered some questions and left some of the bigger ones open to interpretation. Jack was the focus of this series from beginning to end. The mystery of the island itself is the backdrop of the story. It's clear that the island has been around since maybe the beginning of time. The grand details of each and every question are not necessarily relevant to Jack's storyline. The numbers, the whispers, Adam & Eve, the Others, where Jacob & MIB came from...all these were answered. Maybe not in minute detail, but with enough information to show how they fit into the overall story arc.

AlaaP88

[67]May 24, 2010
    Kevnay777 wrote:

AlaaP88 wrote:

Actually its kind of like this. Desmond made everyone remember their life on the island. So everyone's two lives, the island one and the alt universe one are connected into one consciousness. Which is why when everyone dies on the island their consciousness jumps into the alt universe because they are connected into one person now.

So what's the point of going to heaven? Why couldn't they go directly when they die instead of taking the bodies of an alt universe?

nathan69

[68]May 24, 2010
    • level: 3
    hockeyruler12 wrote:

The whole point of Lost was that these characters went through this journey together, and in the end they all reunited. Who cares what the light was, or why there were whispers in the jungle? The whole point was that in the end, their experience on the island brought them together, and in the end they had each other. They couldn't have closed off a wonderful series any better in my opinion. 10 years from now, you won't care about why MIB turned into the black smoke, or why Walt was so special, or what the Donkey wheel really did. You will care about Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Locke, Sun, Jin, Hurley, Desmond, etc. The whole point in Lost is that they created the most cared about characters TV or movies have ever seen and they showed us their journey to a mysterious island where not everything has to make sense. The point of the ending was closure. They all moved on past their mortal lives together. All in the same place.

YOU are exactly the target audience. Unfortunately you are in a minority. In that case why (money) spin it out for years. Why not have 1) people meet 2) people like each other 3) people solve a few problems and have babies 4) the end.

nathan69

[69]May 24, 2010

jrosace92 wrote:
    judesmama wrote:
    jrosace92 wrote:
    I agree with the original poster on this one, and for all you haters if you were seriously only watching this show just to get answers, thats really lame to be honest. Sure, I wouldve enjoyed answers, but I'm glad they left some things open for interpretation. I also watched it for the characters and their storylines and the emotion. If you guys only watched it to get answers, then I am upset. Just saying
    We're not haters, we weren't just watching for the answers, I loved the characters and the storylines. BUT, they could have made it that and not throw in 1001 different plot points that were meaningless if they weren't going to touch on them EVER again. I'm glad that they had a reunion but I think we could have gotten to this point a little better and have some explanations. Just my opinion. I think they could have done both.
    Haha i like that some people like the ending and some don't. It's pretty much split half and half just like the writers said it would be. I just hope that the people who didn't like it don't let that ruin the whole show for them, that would just be ridiculous.

Really? In the UK where we aren't suckered by the lame writers (we could give you answers but look over here there's something shiny) I'd say the receptio to the finale is 90/10 against

fish7474

[70]May 24, 2010
    nathan69 wrote:

jrosace92 wrote:
    judesmama wrote:
    jrosace92 wrote:
    I agree with the original poster on this one, and for all you haters if you were seriously only watching this show just to get answers, thats really lame to be honest. Sure, I wouldve enjoyed answers, but I'm glad they left some things open for interpretation. I also watched it for the characters and their storylines and the emotion. If you guys only watched it to get answers, then I am upset. Just saying
    We're not haters, we weren't just watching for the answers, I loved the characters and the storylines. BUT, they could have made it that and not throw in 1001 different plot points that were meaningless if they weren't going to touch on them EVER again. I'm glad that they had a reunion but I think we could have gotten to this point a little better and have some explanations. Just my opinion. I think they could have done both.
    Haha i like that some people like the ending and some don't. It's pretty much split half and half just like the writers said it would be. I just hope that the people who didn't like it don't let that ruin the whole show for them, that would just be ridiculous.

Really? In the UK where we aren't suckered by the lame writers (we could give you answers but look over here there's something shiny) I'd say the receptio to the finale is 90/10 against

So maybe you 'Euros' aren't as enlightened as you claim to be.

nathan69

[71]May 24, 2010

ps:- if its a character driven show. Where are the japanese bloke who had a temple with the water who healed syeed? Have you thought about him recently. Why was he there for several episodes? Filler. What about the dharma initiative. Filler. All this stuff had no relevance in the end. Yes it was all made very important at the time. They were totally winging it. The best thing that can happen now. Nobody touches these producers/writers with a barge pole. JJ abrams got out whilst it was still good

nathan69

[72]May 24, 2010

[/QUOTE] I don't think those were the kind of answers that people wanted. I think people wanted the answers such as who made the supply drop? Why did the Others kidnap Cindy, Zach, and Emma, and what happened to them? What was so special about Walt and how did the Others plan to use him? Who did Ben signal with the mirror and what did he say? People aren't asking for complex answers in regards to the more "supernatural" aspects of how the wheel works and how the time travel works. We don't need to know that. But it's all those little things that were thrown in there to keep people interested that they never resolved.[/QUOTE]

absolute quote of the series dude. Spot on. I remember walt shouting "they aren't who they say they are." at the top of his voice. Erm they were actually who they said they were weren't they? Or did they just not bother ever saying? quad erat demonstratum

nathan69

[73]May 24, 2010

[/QUOTE] well they did leave the island and live out their lives. kate, sawyer, claire, miles, richard, & frank left in the ajira plane and made it back to civilization and lived their lives, probably staying in contact with each other cuz they all came to be so close. jack died in the bamboo forest from his injuries, but he was pretty much at peace at this point. hurley & ben stayed and lived on the island until they died. and then, in some indeterminate time in the future, they all came together again in the flash-sideways, which was really their afterlife meeting place. it didn't matter when this was because like Christian told Jack, some people died before, some died after.[/QUOTE]

hahahahahhaa oh well that explains everything then.. Except... Why did they wait so long to fly the plane off the island... I KNOW! Its cause it was impossible to leave the island.

AlaaP88

[74]May 24, 2010
    "Jack's reunion with his father was an appropriate way to usher the audience into understanding that what we thought was another reality was actually the afterlife. The emotional reunion of Jack and Christian Shephard amidst the imagery and relics of several religions brought a sense of closure to their story while also acting as a stepping stone into Jack's eventual reunion with everyone else."

http://tv.ign.com/articles/109/1092169p3.html

KingofIPirates

[75]May 24, 2010
    • level: 32
    gorman87 wrote:

ITS THEIR SHOW THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT.
    Same can any other writer doesn't mean every show is going to be well received the way it's presented..

gorman87 wrote:

now that was a bit of a callous way to put it, but it is their creation so they can put whatever creative license they want to on it.
    Never disagreed that they can write their own story, I just don't agree how they did it.

gorman87 wrote:
    from all the recent interviews i've seen Damon & Carlton have said that they were going to conclude these characters' specific stories that they wanted to tell and where the answers fit along the way so be it but they weren't going to force things especially if it meant sacrificing character time to do it.

I could really care less about their interviews. You don't introduce mysteries simply for the sake of creating mysteries. If they wanted to focus solely on the characters then stop creating a new mystery seemingly at every turn.

gorman87 wrote:
    and I'm just curious, did you enjoy the finale for what it was...the resolution of the characters' stories?
    Liked certain elements particularly the first half but overall not really.
    gorman87 wrote:
    or watch the last time any of the actors or creators were on Kimmel (before the Aloha show)
    Already saw that.

nathan69

[76]May 24, 2010

fish7474 wrote:
    nathan69 wrote:

jrosace92 wrote:
    judesmama wrote:
    jrosace92 wrote:

So maybe you 'Euros' aren't as enlightened as you claim to be.

well nobody would fund a show like this that made it up as it went along so maybe we aren't as "crazy" as you guys. Come on. My fave American residents can admit that most of the country is a bit slow. Surely you can agree ?

nathan69

[77]May 24, 2010

bonus points to anyone linking to a quote from the producers who numerous times claimed this show wasn't about purgatory?

Megaman200798

[78]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13
    "The reason I personally didn't like that ending is because the whole show for me was about the awesomeness of the island.

The end was artistic, but just not "Lost" for me personally.

KingofIPirates

[79]May 24, 2010
    • level: 32
    fish7474 wrote:
    Essentially, yes. Jack is the 'hero' of the story. When the hero dies, the story is over. Everyone knows that.

Not every story ends when the hero dies. Even in Lost when the hero did die they still managed to show an alternate purgatory timeline.

fish7474 wrote:

The other characters and mysteries mattered to a point, but the way they mattered the most was how they affected our 'hero,' Jack.
    The conflict those mysteries created was affected Jack not the mysteries specifically themselves as what one doesn't know doesn't really affect them.
    Mysteries stop mattering only when they're solved..

fish7474 wrote:
    but since everyone wants an explanation for everything, I thought I'd state it clearly.
    Not an explanation for everything, just an explanation to the mysteries vital for the plot.

Brodoin15

[80]May 24, 2010
    • level: 20

nathan69 wrote:

bonus points to anyone linking to a quote from the producers who numerous times claimed this show wasn't about purgatory?

They said the island itself wasn't purgatory.

The alt universe really has nothing to do with the real universe. It is pretty much the future and what will happen. Real life was all on the island.