Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

It seems that many people have missed the point

KingofIPirates

[81]May 24, 2010
    • level: 32
    fish7474 wrote:
    They answered some questions and left some of the bigger ones open to interpretation. Jack was the focus of this series from beginning to end. The mystery of the island itself is the backdrop of the story. It's clear that the island has been around since maybe the beginning of time. The grand details of each and every question are not necessarily relevant to Jack's storyline. The numbers, the whispers, Adam & Eve, the Others, where Jacob & MIB came from...all these were answered. Maybe not in minute detail, but with enough information to show how they fit into the overall story arc.

The Mystery of the island was brought to the forefront with the continuous introductions of even new mysteries relating And if many of these plot points weren't relevant then why even bring them up. The only reason you bring up something in a story is if it has relevance.

They answered those questions so vaguely it only led to more questions.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Triponic

[82]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2

Perhaps many people are missing the point about the light and why they didn't answer what it was, I read an article recently about the 'Meaning of Life' (http://sapientology.com/life/what-is-the-meaning-and-purpose-of-life/) which can also be interpreted as the light; to quote what it said:

"You can fall in love with a mystery, but you can't fall in love with an explanation". Can any explanation about the Island or light given really fulfill us as much as the mystery of the unknown?

It was perfect.

Edited on 05/24/2010 4:34pm

Megaman200798

[83]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13

Triponic wrote:

Perhaps many people are missing the point about the light and why they didn't answer what it was, I read an article recently about the 'Meaning of Life' (http://sapientology.com/life/what-is-the-meaning-and-purpose-of-life/) which can also be interpreted as the light; to quote what it said:

They did answer what the light was.

KingofIPirates

[86]May 24, 2010
    Triponic wrote:

"You can fall in love with a mystery, but you can't fall in love with an explanation". Can any explanation about the Island or light given really fulfill us as much as the mystery of the unknown?

It was perfect.

While you can fall in 'love' with a mystery, the main reason why is that while it's intriguing you ultimately want to see it solved.
    And even the nostalgia of a mystery not solved becomes stale and fustrating.

Pb_BigFan

[87]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4
    I feel sorry for people who didn't understand or liked the ending...Damon and Linderlof created ''illusions'' and made so that people believed that the show was about these mysteries like Jacob, the Light etc. when in fact it's about they journey (like tc and many other stated)...Personally I gotta say that I've never cried that much about anything in my life because the show was about these people experiencing these events together and having someone to protect and love and I loved how the writers wrapped it up so frikking beautiful like they did... so to everybody who worked on Lost, the writers, actors and everybody, I salute and thank you for these wonderful six years and I hope this show brought fortune to you all!!!

Megaman200798

[88]May 24, 2010

Pb_BigFan wrote:
    I feel sorry for people who didn't understand or liked the ending...Damon and Linderlof created ''illusions'' and made so that people believed that the show was about these mysteries like Jacob, the Light etc. when in fact it's about they journey (like tc and many other stated).

I was fine with not getting all the answers, I didn't even want all the answers, but that ending was inexcusable.

Pb_BigFan

[89]May 24, 2010
    Megaman200798 wrote:

Pb_BigFan wrote:
    I feel sorry for people who didn't understand or liked the ending...Damon and Linderlof created ''illusions'' and made so that people believed that the show was about these mysteries like Jacob, the Light etc. when in fact it's about they journey (like tc and many other stated).

I was fine with not getting all the answers, I didn't even want all the answers, but that ending was inexcusable.

I'm sorry you feel that way, really cause you and a lot of people have spent 6 years in to this show

Megaman200798

[90]May 24, 2010

Pb_BigFan wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:

Pb_BigFan wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, really cause you and a lot of people have spent 6 years in to this show

Oh don't worry. I, along with many others, still love the series. We just despied the ending.

jrosace92

[91]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7
    Megaman200798 wrote:

fish7474 wrote:
    True that Lost was a character-driven show. What drives characters in a television show? IMO, it's the situation(s) in which they find themselves and how they react to those situations. The mysteries do matter, however, do you really need the answer to every single question? I mean, do you know why YOU exist? Is that a question that anyone can answer? We have unanswered questions in life, so why is it 'unacceptable' where Lost is concerned?

Are you serious? We're talking about a TV show. They CREATED this questions and they don't have the decency to give us any answers. What was the point of having SO many questions if they had NO clue where to go with them?

Like they gave us A LOT of answers, especially in the Jacob/MIB centric episode. Some of these seemed rather forced mind you, but they still answered. They answered: Smoke Monster, Whispers, What the Island is, The Light(large pocket of energy), and other important ones already. And even if they did answer the rest of them, you people that are mad right now would probably be mad saying "Ohh, they answered that terribly. I'd rather they have left that one open" or something like that. Sheesh

jrosace92

[92]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7
    Megaman200798 wrote:

Pb_BigFan wrote:
    Megaman200798 wrote:

Pb_BigFan wrote:

Oh don't worry. I, along with many others, still love the series. We just despied the ending.

sorry if you said it already, but what about the ending did you despise?

KingofIPirates

[94]May 24, 2010
    jrosace92 wrote:

Like they gave us A LOT of answers, especially in the Jacob/MIB centric episode. Some of these seemed rather forced mind you, but they still answered.
    Half of those were so vague it was as if they didn't answer it at all and the rest I agree were underwhelming and poorly executed for the mot part.

jrosace92 wrote:

What the Island is, The Light(large pocket of energy),

They failed to reveal what exactly the island or much about the light.
    All that was revealed was the island trapped smokey and it protected the light(nothing about it's origins, and whatnot). As for the light it could do a bunch of things, and it represents Life, death and rebirth(as to what exactly that even means I still have no idea) yet it's somehow in all of us?

Guildy

[95]May 26, 2010
    • level: 5

fish7474 wrote:
    fish7474 wrote:
    We have unanswered questions in life, so why is it 'unacceptable' where Lost is concerned?
    Because unlike Life this is fiction where everything can be answered Not everything can be answered, and that is the point. Can anyone answer exactly how time travel works? Did the bomb actually go off or did it just transport them through time? If it did go off, why didn't they die? If it transported them trough time, how does that work? Does it matter? The characters are what matter the most. Yes, it would be nice to have some answers, but to have to spell out every detail right down to how it works wouldn't be very interesting to me at all. Since Hugo liked Star Wars references so much, I'll use one. How did the Death Star work? Would the science of how something generates enough energy to blow up a planet really be that fascinating to the viewers? All I'm saying is that it's too big to explain. Every answer would only lead to another question. I wish they would have answered some questions specifically, but leaving it open to interpretation shows they trust the audience to come up with their own conclusions. Even if they tried to explain everything, people would still try to blow holes in it.

Dude, don't use Star Wars for THAT argument. Mark Hamill tells the story about two fanboys at a convention who presented him with acomplete list of material and labour costs for the janitorial services on the Death Star. Some fans will devour anything related to their love.

Guildy

[96]May 26, 2010

Triponic wrote:

It was perfect.

Ummm... yeah. The reason we fall in love with a mystery is because we want to solve it. You don't love the mystery, you love the thrill of chasing the solution. If you know you're never going to find the concrete solution, continuing the search is kind of like getting castrated and then hiring a hooker. There's a lot more I'd like to say about that sentiment, but I want to stay nice

Guildy

[97]May 26, 2010

Pb_BigFan wrote:
    I feel sorry for people who didn't understand or liked the ending...Damon and Linderlof created ''illusions'' and made so that people believed that the show was about these mysteries like Jacob, the Light etc. when in fact it's about they journey (like tc and many other stated)...Personally I gotta say that I've never cried that much about anything in my life because the show was about these people experiencing these events together and having someone to protect and love and I loved how the writers wrapped it up so frikking beautiful like they did... so to everybody who worked on Lost, the writers, actors and everybody, I salute and thank you for these wonderful six years and I hope this show brought fortune to you all!!!

So you think they deliberately misled the viewing audience? So the previous five seasons were what, revenue generators to pay for the REAL show?

buildam2005

[98]May 26, 2010
    • level: 14
    Pb_BigFan wrote:

Here's the problem with the ending, as someone else in another discussion thread very eloquently explained: it completely undermines everything these characters did on the island. (I believe the thread that discusses this well is called "An Argument Against the Finale" or something like that.) What I mean is, the idea, at the show's outset, was that the island was like a second chance--a place where the characters got to start over, redeem themselves, change, and in tragic cases, die. However, if EVERY CHARACTER gets a third chance--this afterlife that we find ourselves in at the end of the flash-sideways--then what does it matter what path they've gone down or the choices they've made on the island or in their flashbacks? SQUAT, that's what. Take Locke. His death was risky, tragic, and ultimately made statements about the fact that not everyone is special--some people are just tricked into thinking so. He had no relationship with his father. The love of his life left him. But wait! In this in-between-purgator-afterlife-place, he gets to have everything he wants. He's back with Helen. He has a good relationship with his dad (for a while, at least). Then he gets reunited with these people who for some reason act like they like him despite the fact that last time they saw him alive they didn't want to listen to him. It's a cop out. It DOESN'T service the characters, gives them no unique or interesting final arc. It lumps them all together in an uninteresting, cover-all, lovey-dovey ending that is insulting to an intelligent viewer who understands that not everything can or should end happily ever after for everyone. The show was never about that, and it did a 180 to try to end on a note where everyone would cry and ignore the cop out.

ajokurvanyad

[99]May 27, 2010

Pb_BigFan wrote:
    )...Personally I gotta say that I've never cried that much about anything in my life because the show was about these people experiencing these events together and having someone to protect and love and I loved how the writers wrapped it up so frikking beautiful like they did... so to everybody who worked on Lost, the writers, actors and everybody, I salute and thank you for these wonderful six years and I hope this show brought fortune to you all!!!

jesus man get a grip on yourself you sack of meat