Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Lets Answer the Questions!!!

avidlexi

[41]May 31, 2010
    • level: 1

ajokurvanyad wrote:

avidlexi wrote:

Sorry, that's not my main question though.

Why did Christian "shepherd" all the losties into the purgatory? He'd never been to the island before as far as I know, so then why did he end up as a ghost on the island?

why was jack in australia before the plane crash?

Wasn't Jack there to pick up Christian's body?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kevnay777

[42]May 31, 2010
    • level: 8

avidlexi wrote:

Why did Christian "shepherd" all the losties into the purgatory? He'd never been to the island before as far as I know, so then why did he end up as a ghost on the island?

I'll answer your question since I don't think anybody else did. Christian technically was on the island because his body also crashed along with the Losties. He wasn't a ghost though that was MIB taking the form of Christian to manipulate Jack and Claire. Christian didn't really bring the people to the church they did themselves. His purpose was to help Jack figure what was going on and to help him let go so he can move on.

Edited on 05/31/2010 8:41am
    Edited 4 total times.

hal9000_basic

[43]May 31, 2010

My question is about Sayid and Shannon. Even though Sayid spent his entire life searching for Nadia, two weeks on the Island with a hot blonde made her his soul mate. Likewise for Shannon, two weeks on the Island with an Iraqi torturer was the best time of her life? It makes no sense. Sayid realized that he couldn't be with Nadia because he didn't deserve her after all the bad things he did – but it's the afterlife! Isn't that your chance to "let go" of the wrongs of your past?

avidlexi

[44]May 31, 2010
    • level: 1

Kevnay777 wrote:

avidlexi wrote:

I'll answer your question since I don't think anybody else did. Christian technically was on the island because his body also crashed along with the Losties. He wasn't a ghost though that was MIB taking the form of Christian to manipulate Jack and Claire. Christian didn't really bring the people to the church they did themselves. His purpose was to help Jack figure what was going on and to help him let go so he can move on.

Thanks, so I guess Christian was really just there for Jack and maybe Claire...

Hal, your question about Sayid and Nadia is rhetorical, right?

That was exactly what I was thinking when Sayid reunited with Shannon...

Kevnay777

[45]May 31, 2010

hal9000_basic wrote:

My question is about Sayid and Shannon. Even though Sayid spent his entire life searching for Nadia, two weeks on the Island with a hot blonde made her his soul mate. Likewise for Shannon, two weeks on the Island with an Iraqi torturer was the best time of her life? It makes no sense. Sayid realized that he couldn't be with Nadia because he didn't deserve her after all the bad things he did – but it's the afterlife! Isn't that your chance to "let go" of the wrongs of your past?

Sayid never could have been with Nadia. After losing her, searching desperately for her, getting stranded on an island, and finally reuniting with her, she was killed shortly after that. In the alt universe/purgatory Sayid still couldn't be with Nadia because she was married to his brother. Either way Sayid and Nadia were never meant to be together. Now the time with Shannon was Sayid's happiest because their was nothing stopping them from being with each other. Their was no conflict trying to pry them apart, they both loved each other, it was just like a dream come true. I still think the main reason Shannon ended up being Sayid's special person is because him and Nadia were never meant to be together.

My question- Where was Richard? I mean at first I thought it was an alternate universe without the island and their was no way Richard could be alive because he was from the 1800s. But now that we know it was purgatory and everyone is dead and waiting to move on. Where was Richard?

Edited on 05/31/2010 12:12pm

JonnyK68

[46]May 31, 2010
    • level: 2

A quick guess at that one, but was it because the after life they created was just for the Losties? Hmm, Ben was eventually gonna join them, and Des. Good question! I think it does come down to Richard not quite being 'in their group'. Although that does seem a little weak.

Cyberfairy

[47]May 31, 2010
    • level: 6

I still really haven't grasped the whole time-travelling ordeal that occured in the beginning of season 5. How is it that John and Ethan meet (and John even get shot) in the past, but didn't remember him in the "normal" time (first time they met on the show)? And what's up with the whole Desmond/Faraday meeting in the same episode. First time they met, chronologically was in Oxford 1996 (The Constant), but Daniel cannot remember Desmond when they meet for the first time in season 4. I know Desmond was special; the rules didn't apply to him (he got his memories inserted to him in the present). Did he just simply forget?

So basically, why didn't Ethan remember Locke (or maybe he did and just kept quiet) and why didn't Daniel remember Desmond.

Edited on 05/31/2010 1:31pm

Cyberfairy

[48]May 31, 2010
    Kevnay777 wrote:

hal9000_basic wrote:

Sayid never could have been with Nadia. After losing her, searching desperately for her, getting stranded on an island, and finally reuniting with her, she was killed shortly after that. In the alt universe/purgatory Sayid still couldn't be with Nadia because she was married to his brother. Either way Sayid and Nadia were never meant to be together. Now the time with Shannon was Sayid's happiest because their was nothing stopping them from being with each other. Their was no conflict trying to pry them apart, they both loved each other, it was just like a dream come true. I still think the main reason Shannon ended up being Sayid's special person is because him and Nadia were never meant to be together.

My question- Where was Richard? I mean at first I thought it was an alternate universe without the island and their was no way Richard could be alive because he was from the 1800s. But now that we know it was purgatory and everyone is dead and waiting to move on. Where was Richard?

Christian said that the people that had the biggest impact of their lives were all waiting for eachother so they could move on together. I think this implies that Richard really didn't was that "special" for the Losties.

Kevnay777

[49]May 31, 2010

Cyberfairy wrote:

I still really haven't grasped the whole time-travelling ordeal that occured in the beginning of season 5. How is it that John and Ethan meet (and John even get shot) in the past, but didn't remember him in the "normal" time (first time they met on the show)? And what's up with the whole Desmond/Faraday meeting in the same episode. First time they met, chronologically was in Oxford 1996 (The Constant), but Daniel cannot remember Desmond when they meet for the first time in season 4. I know Desmond was special; the rules didn't apply to him (he got his memories inserted to him in the present). Did he just simply forget?

So basically, why didn't Ethan remember Locke (or maybe he did and just kept quiet) and why didn't Daniel remember Desmond.

Miles sort of explained your question. Their was an episode were Hurley pretty much asked the same question and Miles tried to explain it, it was a pretty funny conversation. Basically what Miles said was that although 1977 might be past events, it is their present because they traveled back. So in the perspective of everybody that time traveled the 2000s were the past events, because they experienced those events before traveling to 1977. Which makes 1977 their present. So that is why Locke didn't remember Ethan in the present timeline. Ethan probably did remember Locke which is why the others kept wanting Locke to join them because he time traveled and interacted with them, but the others didn't know that so they thought Locke was just special.

If you don't understand what I'm saying go look up that episode I forgot what the name of the episode was but its in season5 and after the Ajira plane crashed so that narrrows down your choices.

Cyberfairy

[50]Jun 1, 2010
    Kevnay777 wrote:

Cyberfairy wrote:

Miles sort of explained your question. Their was an episode were Hurley pretty much asked the same question and Miles tried to explain it, it was a pretty funny conversation. Basically what Miles said was that although 1977 might be past events, it is their present because they traveled back. So in the perspective of everybody that time traveled the 2000s were the past events, because they experienced those events before traveling to 1977. Which makes 1977 their present. So that is why Locke didn't remember Ethan in the present timeline. Ethan probably did remember Locke which is why the others kept wanting Locke to join them because he time traveled and interacted with them, but the others didn't know that so they thought Locke was just special.

If you don't understand what I'm saying go look up that episode I forgot what the name of the episode was but its in season5 and after the Ajira plane crashed so that narrrows down your choices.

Yeah you are definitely right, but it wasn't about John not remembering Ethan, but vice versa. I guess you could say Ethan remembered and thatr is why they spent a great deal of time hunting etc. because Ethan knew he was special.

But why didn't Daniel remember Desmond on the Island if they met in 1997, Oxford? I think I remember Daniel saying he had bad memory so that's why he wrote everything down, or something about exposure to radioactive material.

Kevnay777

[51]Jun 1, 2010

@cyber

Daniel definitely remembered Desmond. Ok remember in the episode "the constant" how Desmond's conscience kept jumping through time and he used the radio to talk to Daniel to try to fix it. Well actually I'm pretty sure Dan remembered Des because Daniel told him to go meet him at Oxford so that it will always happen. Remember Daniel actually never saw Desmond in person on the island before he used the radio to talk to him, besides when they kept jumping through time. Daniel remembered Desmond because as soon as he heard his voice he knew it was him. Which is why Dan looked through his journal and told Desmond to go to Oxford.

petef20

[52]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 22

Yeah I think that's basically it. In The Constant Desmond asks Daniel what he uses to protect his head, and he stays quiet. then in Dan's ep in season 5 we see his memory has all but gone and his reason for going to the island is that he beleives it can heal him (which it did). So put simply I think the reason Dan didn't recognise Des is simply that his memory was gubbed.

My question: Who the Hell was shooting at them on the boat in season 5!? It's a popular one and any thoughts would be great to hear!

Kevnay777

[53]Jun 1, 2010

I'm thinking it was the Others. Possibly right after the Others took out Michael, Jin, and Sawyer in "Exodus"

angrodpallanen

[54]Jun 1, 2010
    Exactly. Others, indians, egyptians, pick your favorite.

Kevnay777

[55]Jun 2, 2010

Ok I have another question

Should MIB and smokey be considered as one person/entity?

TheKreater

[56]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 3
    No. It was clearly stated in the show that they were twin brothers.

KingofIPirates

[57]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 32
    Kevnay777 wrote:

Ok I have another question

Should MIB and smokey be considered as one person/entity?

Smokey is more or less MIB without his body so I suppose.
    TheKreater wrote:
    No. It was clearly stated in the show that they were twin brothers.
    That's Jacob and MIB, not MIB and Smokey..

OOsteb

[58]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 5

Kevnay777 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Richard ask Jacob to absolve him from his sins so he wouldn't end up in Hell ? Jacob said he couldn't do that so Richard said " then I don't want to die." Jacob said " That I can do. " So doesn't it stand to reason that that's where Richard ended up ?

mouseland

[59]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 4

What made the island protectors immortal? When it was Jacob's turn, it was wine in a nice bottle with a spell. When it was Jack's turn, it was clear stream water in a cup with a spell. When it was Hugo's turn, it was muddy puddle water in a dirty water bottle with no spell. How cheap this immortality ritual became over time! I thought Ben would take a chance and randomly start drinking the dirty water in the puddles. In Richard's case, wine and touch on the shoulder. "Drink This" was the magic word or the touch did it? In either way, Hugo didn't need to drink that dirty water.

angrodpallanen

[60]Jun 3, 2010
    Perhaps it's not about the ritual at all, just the permission of the current island protector. The crazy mom added a spell, perhaps to add some other "powers" to Jacob's role as protector, perhaps Jacob did that too with Jack. But since Jack had no notion of that, he didn't do it with Hurley. And since Richard wasn't a protector, he never needed those "powers".
    I agree it has been very unclear, especially with these episodes so close together, you'd think they'd have some central lining. But I have no true explenation for that, other than simple guesses. I see that this ritual changes, but the message stays the same.