ABC (ended 2010)

LOST - Greatest TV Show ever made?

Greatest TV Show ever made?

ImNotHouse

[1]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 4

Greatest TV Show ever made?

HELL YEAH

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Swink17

[2]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 14
    Mmm, no. That would be HBO's, The Wire. The Wire is the greatest achievement of western civilization. LOST is an amazing TV show, one of the greatest, but not my #1. xD

Kadodian

[3]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 23
    Buffy the vampire slayer is the greatest show ever made !Then follows Friends and then follows Grey's anatomy and then Lost...So in my oponion Lost is the fourth best show ever made.

buildam2005

[4]Jan 22, 2009
    I have to agree with the above poster about BtVS being arguably the best show (and easily most underappreciated) ever made. It's far better in most categories than LOST, despite being quite good, has ever been. I don't think LOST is even in the top ten, really, as it has had some consistency problems in the past--though it's pretty far up there. In all honesty, there can never be a correct answer to this question, as long as you can explain your logic. To those that think LOST is the greatest show ever, I respect your opinion, as long as you can explain it.

RTTV989

[5]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 21
    Sure, why not.

buffyTVSrox

[6]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 33
    I agree with the two previous posters who have said that the spot belongs to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Of course, that is opinion.

Buffy was a fantastic allegory for growing up that within it contained many, many individual metaphors for situations from all walks of life. By shining a new light on these familiar situations, it was able to make statements about the world and the people in it in a fresh way that made you think twice. All of this metaphor was done using a vast array of mythology coming from several dozen legends and folktales of the supernatural, ancient religions, and plenty of mythology the show created itself. Not only did it have all that metaphor and all that mythology that it made its own, as if that weren't enough, it did it all using a set of characters that kept viewers completely invested in them and their world, and who spoke some of the most brilliantly poignant and hilariously sharply witty lines of all time.

Lost is an amazing show, but for me, it doesn't quite make my top ten (it's probably in my top fifteen though). When I look at a show, I generally look at three things: the world/mythology of the show and what it means, how invested I am in the characters, and the overall quality of writing. Lost has astoundingly good drama with some amazing characters, but there are many shows with characters I'm far more invested in. The pacing of Lost is sometimes off in my opinion, which you can't necessarily say for all shows. The mythology is brilliantly complex and clearly lovingly and painstakingly planned, and it's the major reason why the show remains great (in my opinion it was the characters (and to a point still is), but the focus has shifted so far from character development that at this point the only four characters I still care a great deal for are Desmond, Penny, Locke, and Ben. Maybe Juliet, too). The overall writing is fairly good and far beyond average TV in quality, but I believe there are a handful of shows that even manage to surpass Lost in quality of writing. It's really a compliment out of the millions of TV shows out there that Lost still manages to make top 15 for me. It's just that it happens there are 10-14 shows where if you told me one would be retroactively erased from existence, it or Lost, I'd pick Lost to go. It's still one of my favorite shows of all time, though, undoubtedly. Certainly not trying to put Lost down here.

Katie_89_07

[7]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 5
    I can't quite say LOST is the best, but I can certaintly say at the moment it is in my Top 10. It may move up later on. It certaintly goes a lot deeper than many of the stereotypical shows.

LadyInque

[8]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 24

Its definitly a great shwo but not the best ever made its a greta show period like a 8.5 the best should have a 10 but not LOST

XO XO

shwaguy

[9]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 11
    LadyInque wrote:

Its definitly a great shwo but not the best ever made its a greta show period like a 8.5 the best should have a 10 but not LOST

XO XO

I can say with true honesty that this is my favourite. Love every minute of it.

SgtCashmere

[10]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 15
    'Lost' is my second favorite television show I have ever watched... My first favorite was years ago, when I was younger and liked cartoons. I won't name it now, to save embarrassment though lol.

ImNotHouse

[11]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 4
    I liked it too

DrJacobi

[12]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 9

SgtCashmere wrote:
    'Lost' is my second favorite television show I have ever watched... My first favorite was years ago, when I was younger and liked cartoons. I won't name it now, to save embarrassment though lol.

Hey! Theres nothin wrong with cartoons....expecially cult/retro toons. Never be embarrased for watching cartoons no matter what age you are! some of the best humour is hidden in cartoons. You better say what it was or i'l find you... haha! jus kiddin, no seriously what was it?

My first ever fave show, and it probably will be til the day i croak it : Twin Peaks. I grew up watching it - probably shouldnt have since most of it wouldnt be for young eyes but im glad i did. Ive seen it hundreds of times now and still get that old feeling of nostalgia when i put it on, this is not taking into fact that it was also brilliant in its own right. It probably also explains why im a little weirder than most people i know, but hey, who wants to be be normal (whatever that is anyway...)

Lost is right next in line at no.2 and i cant see that changin anytime soon.

shwaguy

[13]Jan 23, 2009
    DrJacobi wrote:

SgtCashmere wrote:

Hey! Theres nothin wrong with cartoons....expecially cult/retro toons. Never be embarrased for watching cartoons no matter what age you are! some of the best humour is hidden in cartoons. You better say what it was or i'l find you... haha! jus kiddin, no seriously what was it?

My first ever fave show, and it probably will be til the day i croak it : Twin Peaks. I grew up watching it - probably shouldnt have since most of it wouldnt be for young eyes but im glad i did. Ive seen it hundreds of times now and still get that old feeling of nostalgia when i put it on, this is not taking into fact that it was also brilliant in its own right. It probably also explains why im a little weirder than most people i know, but hey, who wants to be be normal (whatever that is anyway...)

Lost is right next in line at no.2 and i cant see that changin anytime soon.

twin peaks..a few people have mentioned that show. Maybe ill try and watch it. :-)

oceanic6

[14]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 35
    Let's wait until season 5 wraps up to make a decision.

SgtCashmere

[15]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 15

DrJacobi wrote:

Okay... *Deep breath* My name is Sgt Cashmere, and I am a recovered 'Digimon' addict. No, seriously -- I was obsessed with that show when I was younger. Actually, it draws a sort of parallel with 'Lost', except one is childish and filled with monsters, while the other is grown up and filled with guns and the 'Others'. Both are about people unexpectedly arriving in a world that's different and extraordinary, though, and trying to work together to survive. But anyways... That was my favorite show when I was younger lol.

Ultrabeatdown55

[16]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 2
    Yes, It is my favorite show of all time. Then Smallville and then Prison Break.

lopest15

[17]Jan 23, 2009
    one of the best shows of all time with greys anatomy, will and grace and one tree hill

sawafta

[18]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 13
    i think Prison Break is the greatest show ever followed by lost ... but sometimes i feel that lost is better

chikanoman

[19]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 12
    quite comfortably IMO

there is no show on earth that is better than lost and i doubt a show will ever be, lost is superior to every show ever created and every show made from now on will be inferior this is fact the other shows mentioned in this thread as the best show ever created are laughable lol

Forgotten890

[20]Jan 24, 2009
    Yes its a good show. But I think we should wait until the end of series too say its the best show ever made. You never know, it may end bad. :/