Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

my theory on the man in the coffin

EntourageRules

[1]May 24, 2007
    • level: 5

hi guys was just reading a thread and found this web site posted and it had this on it

letters in BOLD denote 'certainty' while letters in non-bold, italics represent a logically placed guess)
    Here is what i have made out thus far:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Los Angeles

L O S _ A N G E L E S

MAN FOUND DEAD IN
    DOWNTOWN LOFT

The body of Jeremy Bentham
    of New York was found short
    ly after 4
    a.m. in the
    west tower of Grand
    Avenue.
    (end paragraph)
    Ted *someone*, a doorman at The
    Tower,
    reportedly heard loud
    noises
    coming from the man's loft.
    ----------------------------------------safety, he
    -------------------------------------------- the
    found the man hanging from a beam in the
    apartment.

well the guy that posted this on the site said he got this of the article that jack had and also that the words in bold are 100% and the rest are what he made up well

i was think what if it is Jacob that died somehow he is a real person and he wants to get of the island aswell and gets of and maybe thats why kate said what she said when jack asked her why she didnt goto the furniral.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Raisinthesun

[2]May 24, 2007
    • level: 15
    i dont think its actually Jacob....stil think its someone we havent meet yet...

but ive been wrong before

DemonBoss

[3]May 24, 2007
    • level: 13
    It's most likely a person we have not met before or the real name of a person we have.

da1truwarrior

[4]May 24, 2007
    • level: 2

This is my theory and why..... Tell me what you think.

Michael, is the man in the coffin..

1) We know it is a man.

2) We know that he is neither Jacks Family nor friend.

3) He was pretty much a loner on and off the island. He got off the island early after killing two people, so that gives them all reason to not go to his funeral. Maybe Walt knows he killed people which is why he was not at the funeral, or maybe Walt is still on the island.

4) Typically when someone dies they put their first, Middle and last name on the obit., Michael is a very common middle name, and some people go by their middle names. Maybe his first name is John or J...

5) We know that the producers wanted Harold Perrineau on the finale. He said he is not totally against coming back, just not for the finale.

6) Harold Perrineau was born in Brooklyn NY and he definately would be believable as a New York transplant.

7) We also know that the funeral home looked like it was in a Prodominately African American neighborhood. I believe that is relevant because he originally had trust issues with caucasions ( see Locke and Walt) and many people in prodominately black neighborhoods have trust issues with whites... Not all, not most... but many do and I think that could be relevant.

Maybe what upsets Jack with Michaels death is that Walt has a very special ability that might be able to help him get back to the island...

What do you think about that?

roaddog316

[5]May 24, 2007

i think it is WALT!!!...  They were in a part of town which looked like it was occupied by African-American.  Plus the coffin was small not one for an adult.

LostRob

[6]May 24, 2007
    • level: 6
    I agree that the coffin looked too small for a full grown person, but I think Walt, as we saw him last night, is already too tall.

da1truwarrior

[7]May 24, 2007
    Walt is a child and How many times have you been to a childs funeral, when nobody shows up? It can not be Walt.

bcom33

[8]May 24, 2007
    Well if the name on that obituary is really Jeremy Bentham, I think it is a fairly obvious connection to make that the man in the coffin is Ben. For some reason or another (those of you who are smarter than I am can think about why) Jeremy "Ben"tham decided to start going by the name Ben. Jack's obsession with getting back to the island would explain why he is so upset by Ben's death. It is another tie to the island that is gone and also maybe the only person that could help him get back there. Kate would not want to see Ben because he was very mean to her on the island. No one would go to see Ben's funeral viewing because no one knows him in the real world.

Brodoin15

[9]May 24, 2007
    • level: 20
    It's possable it's Walt, or mabe Locke, or even Ben. It's gotta be someone that Kate doesn't like, and makes Jack cry of sadness, or of regret.

Hopeless_Savage

[10]May 24, 2007
    • level: 9
    My theory - Sawyer, we know he's going bad, from his last act in that ep. Probably drives everyone away from him...

MattGT3210

[11]May 24, 2007
    • level: 1
    My true guess and assupmtion was Juliet. Since no one really trusted her, and she would have made Jack cry. That was my 90% sureity. But if that is waht the newspaper said, then the Finale might have jumped a little farther in the future than we can assume.

tonyftony716

[12]May 24, 2007
    • level: 6

I think the coffin is for Jacob.  No friends, no family.  I think somehow Jacob will come to life next season with the help of Locke and others...He told Locke.  "help me" 

The name in the paper looks to be Jeremy Bentham.  Here is his wikipedia entry.  Look on the right hand side under "influences"    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bentham  

influences:  JOHN LOCKE

Here is what it says about Jeremy Bentham:

he was declared an honorary citizen of France, but Bentham was a violent critic of the revolutionary discourse of natural rights, and of the violence which arose after the Jacobins took power (1792).

Also one of Jeremy Bentham's other influences was David Humme.  Humme being the same last name as Desomond...

Hume coined the term "constant conjunction". That is, when we see that one event always "causes" another, what we are really seeing is that one event has always been "constantly conjoined" to the other. As a consequence, we have no reason to believe that one caused the other, or that they will continue to be "constantly conjoined" in the future (Popkin & Stroll, 1993: 26. The reason we do believe in cause and effect is not because cause and effect are the actual way of nature; we believe because of the psychological habits of human nature (Popkin & Stroll, 1993: 272).

ISN'T THIS A GREAT SHOW??!! 

Speedyy1984

[13]May 24, 2007
    If the dead person is from New York and dies in Los Angeles then it's quite normal that no friends or family shows up at the funeral, BUT IT WASN'T A FUNERAL IT WAS A VIEWING. it's not the same thing.

heartfailure26

[14]May 24, 2007
    • level: 16
    You guys have thought this through i can't even guess cause you guys have guessed them all.You guys are smart.But anyways the coffin is really small i mean who could fit in there.It has to be someone that everybody hates for no one to attend.

Speedyy1984

[15]May 24, 2007
    What if the person dead was the only one that could lead Jack back to the island? a pilot .........

da1truwarrior

[16]May 24, 2007
    I hate to say this... Maybe size needs to be taken out of the equation... Michael is not a tall man... If size matters than you would consider a smaller person, but the only smaller people would be a child... How many children are on the show? Just a couple.... and who is not going to attend a "viewing" of a child... It is Michael... I know it is....Read entry 4!

Speedyy1984

[17]May 24, 2007
    But if it is Michael then why would Jack try to kill him self because of Michael? Michael left with out looking back.....

da1truwarrior

[18]May 24, 2007
    Because maybe Michael was the key to keeping track of Walt...I think that Walt is somehow the key to the island... Maybe Jack has been looking for both Walt and Michael and it isnt until michael dies that he finds him... By going to the viewing, Jack thinks he may find Walt there... This is why he probably asks if any of his family showed up... I dont think he realized that he could find Walt until after the initial shock of reading his obit and nearly committing suicide...

wally1985

[19]May 24, 2007
    • level: 1
    It's obviously Ben if the interpretation of the letter is correct. Would make sense that he killed himself back in the real world and also it would make sense that nobody showed up for his funeral. The fact that Jack wants to go back to the island would also tie in with him turning up at Ben's reception seeing as he's come around to his way of thinking.

didinuta

[20]May 24, 2007
    • level: 18
    He might be Sawyer!  But even if I say that, .. I mean, if it was one of the losties, I think they would all came to the funeral, so... only Jack showed up for a few seconds! I don't know who else could be!