Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Now that the haters vented, lets hear from the majority who LOVED the finale!!

brothaman22

[1]May 29, 2010
    • level: 4

For a LOST fan, this was the most satisfying and heartbreakingly beautiful ending that gave closure but did not end the conversation.Great art doesn't spoon-feed answers, great art asks great questions and lets the listener, watcher, participant apply their own conclusions. I love the way LOST ended because the show lives on as we can debate the questions we still have. LOST gave us the themes to lead us to the correct answers...big ideas like "Live Together, Die Alone", "Whatever Happened, Happened", "There's Always a Choice", "..."It's a place where miracles Happen", and on and on. These are clues that allow you to debate some of the dangling mysteries within the parameters and rules the show has set up for us and leads us to be able to answer all the questions on our own, (and in heated debates with friends.) To definitively answer everything would have killed the conversation. Whether or not you like that is dependent on what your expectations were and how you watched and understood the show, but I believe that leaving it open to interpretation was all intentional and actually serves the story and the true fan much better, it includes us and trusts us to come up with some great theories and after all, isn't that what this show has always been about? Because once you put a ceiling on it, like explaining what "the island" is or the light "source", what happens is that it diminishes the possibilities and takes away the powerful concepts. Kinda like George Lucas over-explaining "the force"...it made it stupid where before it felt mysterious and cool. So we were left with the characters and the amazing closure we got with them after the end of all things in their journey's together. An epic adventure tale that continues to baffle and inspire debate. Bravo!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SnarkBC

[2]May 29, 2010
    • level: 8

Booooo!

avi01

[3]May 29, 2010
    • level: 26
    more I watch it, more I love it

SnarkBC

[4]May 29, 2010
    • level: 8

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

RayD70

[5]May 29, 2010
    • level: 3
    lol. Not much support.

Don't worry. Eventually you'll be able to stop lying to yourself and realize you were sold a bill of goods. then your recovery can begin.

The finale rendered the entire show moot. You just wasted 6 years on a story that went nowhere and accomplished nothing. But it's all good. They all died happily ever after. I feel sorry for the deluded.

DARKANGEL_42

[6]May 29, 2010
    • level: 2

How did the finale render the whole show moot? Where did it lead to nowhere? We now know why they were called to the island (By Jacob to become the next protectors of the island, and to destroy the evil he unleashed on the island) and in the end they did it, Jack destroyed the evil and Hurley continued the role of protector. Their journey of getting there is what makes it an interesting show. You could sum up the Lord of the RIngs in one paragraph but you would miss out on the all the sub plots and characters, and it would never have become a huge selling book and film. The 6 years made the show worth watching, if the ending had happened sooner then what would be the point, we would have the same problem X-Files did, it died after they revealed the whole alien plot thing. The main problem with the finale actually is that most of the answers had come in previous episodes, the answers to the smoke monster and the heart of the island, who Jacob and Richard were and what were there roles, so the final only tied up a few loose ends and so perhaps seems disappointing. If you are used to reading good books, particularly sci-fi and mysetery (which is what Lost was) then you would be used to the idea of open ended stories which leave some questions to the imagination rather then a "hollywood" ending where everything is spelt out in black and white.

See my other postMy thoughts on the finale, is everyone missing the real twist?to see why this finale was what all true Lost fans wanted

FLASHASDF

[7]May 29, 2010
    • level: 3
    The perfect ending to the greatest show ever though I think It was highly emotional I kept crying for fifteen minutes.

ajokurvanyad

[8]May 29, 2010

DARKANGEL_42 wrote:

particularly sci-fi and mysetery (which is what Lost was) then you would be used to the idea of open ended stories which leave some questions to the imagination rather then a "hollywood" ending where everything is spelt out in black and white.

See my other postMy thoughts on the finale, is everyone missing the real twist?to see why this finale was what all true Lost fans wanted

this ending was a complete "opposite hollywood ending" then(although it was full of tear jerkers).

the real twist?you mean that jack and everybody else was dead all along the sideways whatever or that they went with a very forced "learn to let go of..." ending?

PriscillaStewar

[9]May 29, 2010
    • level: 2

The writers/creators of this show (lindelof/cuse & co) are absolutely without a doubt the most intelligent story tellers out there! Those who hated the end, just did not get it!

This was from start to finish a unique one of a kind story, solely created by these brilliant writers.

A story of a group of individuals, with individual life experiences and struggles. And part of their individual stories is that they were in a plane crash, a crash mysteriously orchestrated by one half of an ongoing feud between 2 brothers, who were eventually 2 magically enhanced entities. again created for the purpose of added mystery to the show. These brothers/entities are Magical yet both as jaded and reacting as any human can be and both with a story to tell. But this isn't their story, it is the story of the members of the group of survivors from oceanic 815. The oceanic flight crashes on an island, an island that acts as a form of protection for the world and human kind, again solely created for the purpose of this show, much like "middle earth" is created for lord of the rings or Hogwarts is created for the harry potter series, we don't question anything about these worlds, they just are.

This island is so incredible that not a soul on earth can explain it or really understand it .. it is just what it is! But those in this story find it, and experience the amazing, the weird, the frightening and the fantastic there. Things that are unexplainable and "impossible". And the entire series was the story of those experiences of the crash victims.. the fantastic stories, the unexplainable stories.. the weird...and so on.

So what i take from the end is the journey... a journey we shared with the "cast aways", we journeyed alongside them ... and in the end .. they never found out all the rhyme or reason of the island and it's people/mythology/mystery, what they did was they suffered and they triumphed, some they died and some they survived. Those who survived continued on in their lives after, a story they never shared, but that happened none-the-less. And for all of them, in the end, the experiences they had with eachother, the emotional and the physical, they were the defining moments of their lives. They in the end were the most important "others" in eachothers lives and therefore......

In this amazing story , they each eventually died and went on to the afterlife, a place where time (so important to the whole series) is no longer relevant ie: today is tommorrow and today is yesterday....but it also 5 thousand years from now... it is all the same) a place where they (their souls) worked on their individual issues, the things in the life they had just lived they could not let go of; ie: regrets; sorrow; wishes; wants, (which again the way which was done was just so amazing by the writers..so so true to each character), and eventually their souls find eachother, find acceptance, find peace and closure and in pure happiness and readiness MOVE ON .. to the unknown together and even more specifically in the arms of true love.

sooo poetic, so satisfying, so good

JohnnyDrama8

[10]May 29, 2010
    • level: 10

I love the show ended the way it started. I really like when a tv show/ movie does that. Vincent laying down next to him was a nice touch as well. A lot of questions were left unanswered but then again a lot were answered that mattered to me. I love how the show opened with a opening eye and closed with a closing eye. A show like LOST was hard to wrap up.

KingofIPirates

[11]May 29, 2010
    • level: 32
    brothaman22 wrote:

Great art doesn't spoon-feed answers,

Answers don't need to be spoon-fed just incorporated into the story in a competent and clever way.
    And the answers that were spoon-fed, particularly the Whispers, the delivery felt underwhelming and the moment lacking.
    brothaman22 wrote:
    great art asks great questions and lets the listener, watcher, participant apply their own conclusions.

It's one thing to allow a few aspects of the show to be open to interpretation but there's a limit as to just how open you can leave a show before it just becomes random speculation and shots in the dark.
    brothaman22 wrote:
    These are clues that allow you to debate some of the dangling mysteries within the parameters and rules the show has set up for us and leads us to be able to answer all the questions on our own,

There is really no evidence much less a mechanism detailing the specifics of the rules for you to figure out much of the mysteries without reverting to random speculation.
    brothaman22 wrote:

To definitively answer everything would have killed the conversation.

They didn't even try to answer the majority much less everything.
    brothaman22 wrote:
    it includes us and trusts us to come up with some great theories and after all, isn't that what this show has always been about?

That only creates dissension as there's not even a workable format where you can confirm your suspiscions
    brothaman22 wrote:
    Because once you put a ceiling on it, like explaining what "the island" is or the light "source", what happens is that it diminishes the possibilities and takes away the powerful concepts.

It does nothing to take away from the powerful concepts and leaving something open to possibilities without much of the mechanics behind it explained is just random speculation.

What happens when you leave the majority of the mysteries unsolved (which made up a large part of the plot) that it leaves the story feeling unfulfilled and incomplete given the fact they're glaring gaps in the storyline.

brothaman22 wrote:
    it made it stupid.
    This largely depends on the execution and you seem to be under the impression that the questions can't be answered satisfactorily. Here are two examples of mysteries wrapped up wonderfully.
    brothaman22 wrote:
    where before it felt mysterious and cool.

And what makes a mystery cool and intriguing is the urge to to find some resolution for it, leaving a mystery unanswered takes away from the general appeal and fustrates the viewer after some time.
    brothaman22 wrote:

So we were left with the characters
    And without the mysteries which were pretty much ignored when it should've been addressed.
    brothaman22 wrote:
    continues to baffle
    More like disappoint
    brothaman22 wrote:
    inspire debate.
    Unnecessary debate as the fanbase is split down between who liked the finale and who didn't instead of actual debate about the plot in general..
    Edited on 05/29/2010 11:30am

motleylil

[12]May 29, 2010
    • level: 19

To be fair, the two examples of well answered mysteries were very simple questions to begin with. I mean, "what was that light Locke saw" is easy to give a satisfactory answer, but when the question is something in the likes of "what is the island", it gets a bit more complicated. Look at the Swan, for example. They answered the question "what is the hatch", but then you got a couple of new questions that came from there, such as "what is it for", "who built it", "what would happen if that button doesn't get pushed". And when they said that is was to conceal a pocket of electromagnetism that was leaking, new questions came crashing through. Now people wanted to know what that pocket was, and why it was leaking. There has to be a point where you just say "this is how it is. Stop asking." But the thing that happened is that people were not satisfied with the "this is how it is" and just never stopped asking.

crashingdoors

[13]May 29, 2010
    • level: 13
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    brothaman22 wrote:
    inspire debate.
    Unnecessary debate as the fanbase is split down between who liked the finale and who didn't instead of actual debate about the plot in general..

I agree with you, although I really enjoyed the finale. I wish people would arguing/debating about whether or not the finale was good, and start debating about what the finale meant. I've said elsewhere that although it seems to very apparent--that we got a happy ending, everyone's together in the afterlife (which I don't believe, in case I'm not making myself clear)--there's something else going on and we're MISSING that because we're too busy talking about how "terrible" the end is.

KingofIPirates

[14]May 29, 2010
    • level: 32
    motleylil wrote:
    Now people wanted to know what that pocket was, and why it was leaking.
    Uh, It was a pocket of electromagnetism.
    Dharma Initiative broke through the pocket of energy after drilling too deep despite Pierre Chang's repeated warnings.
    motleylil wrote:
    There has to be a point where you just say "this is how it is. Stop asking."
    If the answer is phrased in a way that doesn't lead to new questions there would be no need to ask anymore.
    motleylil wrote:
    But the thing that happened is that people were not satisfied with the "this is how it is" and just never stopped asking.
    They were vague with much of their resolutions in an attempt to maintain the mysterious aura which was why people remained unsatisfied.

zedtaker

[15]May 30, 2010
    • level: 14
    It was the most epic and tragic ending to the BEST DAMN SHOW on the planet.

I don't know how to get over it, how do I move on?
    I'm so depressed even though I got closure!

ajokurvanyad

[16]May 30, 2010

zedtaker wrote:
    It was the most epic and tragic ending to the BEST DAMN SHOW on the planet.

which part was tragic?

Sugar2U

[17]May 30, 2010
    • level: 9
    I guess tragic cause we had to watch Jack die.. that did choke me up even though I KNEW that was where they would go in the end.. I did NOT see the sideways being Purgatory however so that kinda sucked a bit for me anyways because that is not even close to what I believe but as far as the story goes OK good they ended up all together.. hmmm I will settle for it.. ENDs will always be debated as good or bad. I still hate the end of Seinfeld but most people loved it..

lostfan111

[18]May 30, 2010
    • level: 6
    You might be still living on the island because as far as I know, the majority disliked the finale. Mainly the ending.

ajokurvanyad

[19]May 31, 2010

@sugar2u

how could it be tragic when you saw him dying and being happy with everyone around him on the other side(even reconciling with his dad).how's that tragic?oh,and even saw the plane flying away.if he'd been made to watch the plane crash and burn,then get shot in the face with ballistic missiles it still wouldn't have been tragic because of the afterlife bit.

steffi_totti

[20]May 31, 2010
    • level: 9
    lostfan111 wrote:
    You might be still living on the island because as far as I know, the majority disliked the finale. Mainly the ending.

From what I gather, people are kind of divided on the ending. From some of the polls I saw though, people who love it / like it > those who dislike it. I guess perhaps those who are disappointed are more vocal about it on the internet? Although do correct me if I'm wrong, the divide somewhat mirrors the Man of Faith vs. Man of Science. Those who like it, like the closure the show brought to the characters, and those who don't, because they were not getting any answers from the finale, or you know, the religious bits.

To be fair, I read the interview where they all but gave a huge yellow warning sign that the finale was going to be all about characters and no more mythology question was going to be addressed in the finale. So I went into the finale prepared