Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Official SERIES FINALE Discussion: ''The End''

  • Avatar of CaptainStereo

    CaptainStereo

    [401]May 27, 2010
    • member since: 05/28/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2
    You're entitled to your opinion. If it's ok with you, I would like to keep my own opinion. If you don't like other opinions, a forum that solicits opinions may not be for you.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of valenerramouspe

    valenerramouspe

    [402]May 27, 2010
    • member since: 11/26/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 191
    I don't think the purgatory thing was the ending. The ending was Jack dying, Hurley and Ben staying, Kate, Sawyer and the others going away and living their lives. Yes, they all ended up dying at some point and reunited, I don't think that's a big deal, not a cop-out, just telling us this is what happened when they all finally died.
    I think Aaron being a baby is simple. They all looked like they did when they were on the island, so as to kind of recreate it and find each other. The ones that left it alive were probably a lot older when they died. And the people missing were the ones whose lives were more significant to them at some other point with other people rather than the period on the island, so they created some different purgatory for themselves.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ajokurvanyad

    ajokurvanyad

    [403]May 28, 2010
    • member since: 05/25/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 167

    OOsteb wrote:


    If they created it ( Purgatory ) why did they need to be reminded that they are dead ?


    I must say, they sure looked REALLY happy to be dead when they found out. I'm not to sure that I would be all that happy to find out that I was dead and living a false life. Maybe I'ld be like Ben and Eloise, I'd be happy just staying put. I'm not looking to find out though ! ->



    the purgatory plays another part people generaly obsess about.it's the "what if my life had been different" dream.they were happy i gues because they were really greatfull to have experienced the what if's as well as their real life.they didn't remember their real life so the experience could be real to them.that's how one can come to terms with one's own demise,no what if's,maybe some regrets.


    fairy tale ending i say!!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CoreyGammage

    CoreyGammage

    [404]May 28, 2010
    • member since: 05/28/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    Right then, I feel little cheated I guess, some touching moments (I nearly cried a couple of times!), but a weak ending, however my anger at this easy ending mellows with time, but still so many questions left unanswered, so I will theorize some of my own:

    Firstly the island, we will never know who built the cork, the temple, the statue or many of the islands other mystery structures, all we know is that there is a light to be protected, I see this light as being the good in all humanity, so therefore if the light goes out you get total chaos in the world and mankind would destroy itself, Jacob and Smokie's so called mum was just one in a long line of guardians who seem to have some special powers to aid their cause (Filling a well and levelling a village on her own for example.), going into the light would result in your physical form dying, the good side being absorbed by the light and your dark side (Pure evil) bieng ejected from the cave, hence the black smoke.

    Secondly Dharma, somehow the black rock's log managed to get off the island, maybe through one of Richard's off island recruitment trips, that log ended up in the hands of Alvar Hanso (I believe Alvar was the owner of the log before it went to auction and Charles aquired it.) who in turn forms the Dharma initiative and using the headings in the log, reaches the island to explore and experiment in the name of science, the others, guided by Jacob are protecting the Island and the light from strangers who threaten it and Scientist sticking their noses into things that they do not understand would definately fit the bill, so therefore they had to be removed, thus protecting the light.

    Finally the Children, I guess the ultimate reason to have children conceived and born on the island would be for the others to educate them from an early age to protect the light and the island, therefore removing the need to bring in outsiders who would threaten the islands existence, that said I feel that the whole Walt storyline needed explaining, I can only imagine that the writers removed Walt from the show as they realized that he would age too quickly between seasons for the timescale that the show was set in, but his powers and why the others were scared of him needed answering!

    These are the main three things that I felt they didn't really explain well, hopefully my opinions may help others theorize their own ideas.

    Overall I feel that the show was never meant to run this long, but the money making machine and greed got them devising new plot lines that they could not really explain away too easily even though they promised answers in the final season.

    I think that the purgatory idea was the original plan all along, but that the island itself would have been a place that decided their fates in the afterlife. too many people saw right through that idea so the writers said "no! your all wrong there is much more to it.", but at the time there really wasn't and they made the rest up as they went along to keep people interested only to have Faraday & Jugghead create and alternate reality purgatory in which to end the show as originally intended (Making lots of money along the way!).

    Still a great show, needed a twist at the end, but will be sadly missed!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of utdfan13

    utdfan13

    [405]Jun 1, 2010
    • member since: 05/04/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 162

    I know Desmond wasn't taking Daniel w/ him, but why didn't Charlotte and he see their visions on the island?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dudius399

    dudius399

    [406]Jun 1, 2010
    • member since: 11/15/04
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 63

    D-BorG wrote:


    Totally stole ending from "Ashes to Ashes".


    I don't think they stole it, as they would have been filmed around the same time (and both kept heavily under-wraps), but I'm surprised more hasn't been mentioned about the startling similarity of the endings. Quite strange, when you consider how disparate the two shows are ... Must be some kind of zeitgeist ... ?

    Edited on 06/01/2010 8:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LostHeroes

    LostHeroes

    [407]Jun 2, 2010
    • member since: 05/24/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12

    Lunatikatt wrote:


    btw


    aanyone else had this feeling:
    when richard and miles are paddleing just for one tiny second maybe you thought that they were going to catch up with the timetravelers? haha
    it was just for a split second then i realized it could be imposible... for they are no longer timetraveling...


    mooo




    Are you kidding me? Everytime someone got in a boat, the first thought I had was great! Now they'll get to meet the time travelling losties and shoot at them...but alas! Disappointment!



    I don't buy for a second that the writers planned out the series all along. They probably just knew they'll end it with Jack's eye closing..."anything that happens in between...is progress!"



    This series reminds me of an old joke I read somewhere a long time ago.


    A guy walks in to a bookstore and asks for the most intriguing and mysterious story book they had. The seller offers him a book and says, "Here try this...its missing the last chapter!"


    )


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sinjaceheroes

    sinjaceheroes

    [408]Jun 6, 2010
    • member since: 01/11/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,817

    I only have one thing to say:


    Look at my signature!!!


    After being faithful to LOST for 6 years I suddenly felt, as I watched The End, that I had been cheated on.


    So, my signature is a good response: "It's okay. I just made all that crap up in a dream. And for some reason, Im a freaked out yellow dog."

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Cyberfairy

    Cyberfairy

    [409]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 08/15/03
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 152
    sinjaceheroes wrote:

    I only have one thing to say:


    Look at my signature!!!


    After being faithful to LOST for 6 years I suddenly felt, as I watched The End, that I had been cheated on.


    So, my signature is a good response: "It's okay. I just made all that crap up in a dream. And for some reason, Im a freaked out yellow dog."



    Cheated on? Lmao, it's just a tv-show. It's just entertainment. Can't you say that it at least was entertaining?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sinjaceheroes

    sinjaceheroes

    [410]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 01/11/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,817

    Cyberfairy wrote:
    sinjaceheroes wrote:


    I only have one thing to say:


    Look at my signature!!!


    After being faithful to LOST for 6 years I suddenly felt, as I watched The End, that I had been cheated on.


    So, my signature is a good response: "It's okay. I just made all that crap up in a dream. And for some reason, Im a freaked out yellow dog."


    Cheated on? Lmao, it's just a tv-show. It's just entertainment. Can't you say that it at least was entertaining?


    Oh, hell yeah--it was entertaining. I never said that it wasn't.


    But I watch a lot of tv and up until now, six consecutive years is the longest period I have ever seen/stand a tv show. I really wanted to know what that island was, it was my only reason for watching the show at all. I couldnt stand Jack or Kate. My fave character were Hurley and up until season 6--Lock.


    But at the end we were never told exactly what the island was--all that there are are fan ideas.


    Six years waiting to learn something, just to be slapped in the face = cheated on.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sasilik

    sasilik

    [411]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 09/29/04
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 39

    I liked The Lost series and I can say that ending was quite good but... all the action, scheming, mysteries and manipulation kind of lost any meaning and I just asked - WTF were they for? If I think then I can reason to myself that they had meaning but the general feeling of the series finale just lost its edge with its cheesy reunions and emphasis on emotional aspect and characters. It's not about understanding what happened and what was real or not, they just flushed some important part of the show just down the toilet in my opinion.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lux22

    Lux22

    [412]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 263
    I have to say I did not like this. I agree with many others that we were told many lies during the years. First we were told that there was nothing supernatural about the series and all could be explained through science...this was the producers statement at around season two. Also we were told that the whole story was planned and questions would be answered through out the series. This was obviously a lie with the kind of ending we got. I also find it annoying that during the years people were speculating a lot if the islarnders were in purgatory because they all died in the crash. Now we find that the "flash sideways" are a "purgatory" of a kind. Why? Ran out of ideas? Had to go to fan chats to invent the ending?

    Why could it not just have ended where it ended for Jack. Him seeing the plane fly over and die. Why was there a need for his purgatory?? If they could not invent how to bring the last season together they should have just made it so that Jack is right. They unplug the stone and the whole island goes off. Next thing they are in an alternate future in which they can remember the island because IT IS MAGIC. No difference, but more hopeful (yes, I hoped they would have survived at the end and had a bit of happiness...I guess most people think that should not happen because it "does not happen in reality")

    AND then...all the unanswered questions. Why could there not be pregnancies carried to term on the island but then Claire, Jun and Jacobs and MIBs mother were all ok? Why was the Dharma Initiative there? Did Jacob want them to be there? If he did not how could they come there? Who built everything on the island? The temple, the plug, the statue etc.? How could Jacob live so long? How could he endow Richard with that long life? How could Hurley see the dead? What happened to Michael? What happened to Walt? What was so special about him? and finally, what is the Island? How can it time travel and heal people? In this thread there are many people saying that we should not be greedy and want ALL the answers. Maybe an example would provide the information about the amount of info I would have liked. Some of you probably remember a tv show called Twin Peaks. It was also all about clues and weird stuff. Where as the main question in Lost is "what is the island" in TP it was "who murdered Laura Palmer". The first was not answered and the second one was. Still TP left many questions unanswered and I accept that. But I can still sit down and watch the series from beginning till end and love it. I think how Lost ended, I will never be able to watch it again. There was just no point. oh yes, I am a hater now. Sue me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lux22

    Lux22

    [413]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 263
    ANd yes, someone also made a good point about Eloise. Why did she want people to stay in this "purgatory". And why has she not "let go" if she knows where she is. And why did Daniel and Charlotte not join these and stayed behind? And someone wrote that "the show was about people and love and all the polar bears and black smoke were there to make us believe it was about something else". What would be the point of writing a detective story and then not give people the solution at the end. I take tv series to be like books. Long story archs and developing characters. I really maintain that this was a low ball end.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lux22

    Lux22

    [414]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 263

    SayyidFan wrote:


    Well here's my understanding about the ending for what I think was pretty straightforward


    Sawyer, kate, claire, lapidus, miles and richard were the survivors who finally made it off the island and lived their lives back on land


    Jack sacrificed his lifeto save the island


    Hurley became the new jacob and ben his assistant, and they somehow transported Desmond back to his family later on


    And all the "Flash Sideways" were actually a huge flash forward in limbo, purgatory, heaven or whatever u wanna call it, which takes place after everyone has died (or the end of the world has happened). As Jack's father said "Some of them died before you, some of them died LOOOONG After you". All the people who lost each other were reunited with their loved ones, and then whoever wanted to move on moved on while some stayed for the time being (like Ben and Ana Lucia about whom Hurley said "Wasn't ready yet") .





    yes, I think this is the end too. still so nonsensical.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lux22

    Lux22

    [415]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 263

    sinjaceheroes wrote:


    The point of the show has always been the Island. In every season, it has all been about the island. What it is? Why it has such miraculous happenings? And so on and so forth. Sometimes the characters were the main point, but the main point was what they were doing in the ISLAND.


    In the end, they decided to go with the characters. But having the writers say, "oh, no, it has always been about the characters" is total bull****.


    We were only explained the miracles part. Obviously they were all dead! Walking wouldnt be such a miracle for a soul!


    This just all the more supports the big idea, that they just made it up as they went along.


    Matthew Fox said he always knew how it would end. I always thought he was lying. But last night in JKL he finally explained what he knew. He just knew that the end was Jack dying and his eye closing. Thats not knowing the ending! Thats knowing the closing scene!


    The only emotional part for me was Sawyer's and Juliet's reunion in Alternate World. For some reason, it blew me away.


    The only thing I can give the entire show, the only point of pure brilliance was the symbolism in the first episode and in the last.


    The show started with Jack opening his eye, and it ended with his eye closing. Which only more supports that it was and had always been about Jack.





    I 100% agree with you!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lux22

    Lux22

    [416]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 03/19/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 263

    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:


    Now I'll say this, I won't say the ending was bad... I'm just saying the story made SH!TLOAD more sense before the side flash was purgatory.






    amber8032 wrote:
    CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY WAS LOCKE'S DAD IN THE ISLAND?? Another question never answered!!!



    Also Miles was very important to Sawyer at least. Maybe to Hurley too. So why would Aaron but not Walt or Miles be there. Also Rose and Bernard were not very close to anyone...why were they there? Because someone bothered to make a flashback of them? And Penny was there? And why was Michael not there? There is nothing that sets him apart from the rest except the rumoured bad blood with the cast.



    After these rants I have to say that I cried every time they remembered. That was a very stasfying part. Thank you for that to the writers and producers.



    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TreeHill_89

    TreeHill_89

    [417]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 06/28/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,886
    I watched the finale yesterday, while i did like the reunions, i didn't like the fact that they all died?! I'm how?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sinjaceheroes

    sinjaceheroes

    [418]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 01/11/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,817

    Well, Lock's father being on the island is perfectly understandable. Ben wanted Sawyer to "join him" and so brought the ONLY thing Sawyer ever wanted: Lock's dad's head on a silver platter.


    I think...I may be confusing Sawyer with Lock. Its so long ago Im blurry. But the bottom line is the same.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sallenj

    sallenj

    [419]Jun 11, 2010
    • member since: 04/19/08
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,154

    Well, having read all this, I just have three things to say:


    "If we can't live together, we'll die alone." (Which they did.)


    "Whatever happened, happened."


    And last, but not least, as relates to the show, and this thread...



    "It always ends the same: They come, they fight, they die." (Hey, "Everybody dies, Jack.")



    "Why do you find it so hard to believe?"

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.