Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Official SERIES FINALE Discussion: ''The End''

Voo_Bopo

[121]May 23, 2010
    • level: 9
    I personally don't think everything has to be answered. We don't need everything fed to us. There's interpretation involved. That leaves people talking about it for a long time.

Fantastic finale. Fantastic ending.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

QckslvrGrl

[122]May 23, 2010
    • level: 1
    Njasa10 wrote:

Just to point out....did anyone notice that within the church were homages to all major faiths? There were Hindu Gods (the blue one), Buddhist Gods, Christian Symbols (crosses), Jewish symbols ( a menorah) all in the room where the coffin was.

I noticed it and loved that touch. Very respectful to those that believe in something. After all, the show was about characters and people. Different races and backgrounds.

If we can't live together, we'll die alone.

mchll

[123]May 23, 2010
    • level: 1

I am sorry but I am confused. I get that they are now in heaven. Christan Sheppard opened the door and they all of them in the church moved on. When did they die? When the plane first crashed? So, the whole time on the island was them in purgatory or limbo? And the parallel universe was just another aspect of purgatory? Who were Jacob and his brother? Or did the items on the island actually occur? Or did the parallel universe occur? Which is why Christian states some died sooner and some died later.

tvaddict_10

[124]May 23, 2010
    • level: 59
    Jrr6415sun wrote:
    ImNotDarioUAre wrote:

I just kinda wanted Jack to live on as like a benevolent smoke monster.

yea I was sorta hoping he would turn into a white smoke monster and live on protecting the island with hurley and ben.

I love Jack but I think his death was great for the ending. The series began with the opening of his eyes and ended with the closing of them.

CharmedOneP391

[125]May 23, 2010
    • level: 19

Wow. so the flashsideways was a purgatory that they created when they set off a Jughead in The Incident. Not exactly what they were going for when they did it, but at least they all got to reconnect before they move on to the afterlife (heaven?).This is correct, right? Because Christian told Jack that everything was real and that they created this. I liked the finale. I'm not really dissapointed, and the end scene was a reflection of the first thing we saw..just backwards..and I'm glad that Vincent(? looked like a younger dog) sat and died with him(after originally waking him up in the Pilot..nice)

No Walt? Swear i read he was gonna be in the finale..oh well. wanted to know about his specialness.

It was a great series finale...a great ending to a great original story.

So I guess when you die on the Island you go straight to where you saw your Island-flash? Juliet asking Sawyer about going dutch and in LA X she died and said...we can go dutch.

I guess you gotta get all your unfinished business done in the "flashsideways" before you can move on? Ben, Ana Lucia, and Daniel Faraday didn't move on. Maybe they have things to get right? Not sure. or Walt, Michael, or Eko.(which..doesn't look good if you know what I mean)

LOL @ my local news interviewed people at a bar who had a viewing party for a charity asking them how they felt about the finale. Lost chatter on the 11:00 news.

9.9 outa 10. RIP LOST. (also there was no BOOM at the end with Lost..it was more of a fading styled sound)

miss_wierd

[126]May 23, 2010
    • level: 13

CrypticThief wrote:
    miss_wierd wrote:

CrypticThief wrote:

Now, I guess some questions will never be answered, which is fair...

Why is that fair?

I personally feel all great stories have some things left unanswered for you to just imagine or think about. Basically, a lot of them that try to answer everything ends up being kinda cheesy... plus no answers could ever satisfy everyone, so it's best to leave some up to your imagination Keeps you talking about the series even after it ends...

Yeah but unanswered questions are not a good thing to do. Man I'm going to miss this show. This was a great episode!! Well I didn't like the ending tho when they all are dead. Cry

ImNotDarioUAre

[127]May 23, 2010
    • level: 11
    encmetalhead wrote:

ImNotDarioUAre wrote:

So... ummmm ... They were in heaven... yet that can get the crap beaten out of them, ran over, shot, Have FUKINGbaby...WTF

SERIOUSLY WHY THE FUK IS AARON A BABY AND GOING TO HEAVEN!!!!!!

On a side note the REAL lost reality ended well. We never learned about Eloise, The Others or the numbers but other than those things meh it was fine. I just kinda wanted Jack to live on as like a benevolent smoke monster.

we DID learn about the numbers...

Okay let me rephrase that... We didnt learn a GOOD explanation for the numbers. The numbers just corresponding to the candiates that end up being left at the end was complete and utter bullsh!t. The numbers have represented the great mystery of Lost since the very begining. Even when the other pieces of the puzzle were slowly revealed, the mystery of the numbers still remained. Why did Dharma initiative choose those numbers? Why are they cursed? But in the end they were absolutely meaningless.

tvaddict_10

[128]May 23, 2010
    • level: 59
    mchll wrote:

I am sorry but I am confused. I get that they are now in heaven. Christan Sheppard opened the door and they all of them in the church moved on. When did they die? When the plane first crashed? So, the whole time on the island was them in purgatory or limbo? And the parallel universe was just another aspect of purgatory? Who were Jacob and his brother? Or did the items on the island actually occur? Or did the parallel universe occur? Which is why Christian states some died sooner and some died later.

I think the events on the island were indeed real. The flash-sideways was the "in-between." Some people did make it off the island but whenever they died, they joined the others in the flash-sideways.

CrypticThief

[129]May 23, 2010
    • level: 5
    TigerLord wrote:
    I'm actively writing in other threads on other forums, the consensus right now is this:

-Everything that happened was real
    -Those who died during the shows were sent to some sort of purgatory
    -Eventually when all (or most) of them all died, they were reunited so they could cross over to heaven together
    -Jack's Father was "Christian Shepard"... he rallied the sheep at the end.
    -The flashsideways all happened in an intermittent plane between life and the afterlife (aforementioned purgatory).
    -Jack died on the island at the end
    -Those who took off in the plane survived too, and eventually died of natural cause, then met in the purgatory
    -Michael can't cross over because of what he's done to Ana Lucia, which is why he wasn't there
    -Walt was the youngest, so he wasn't there because he's probably alive still (but old)

But it's true they didn't cover or answer anything
    -Polar Bears: brought on the island by the Dharma Initiative
    -Egyptian statue: unanswered
    -Egyptian glyphs in hatch: unanswered
    -Nature of the island's energy: partly answered (exotic particles?)
    -The light source: unanswered
    -Where was Ana Lucia, Lipidis, Richard Alpert, and all the others at the reunion at the end?
    ...and the list goes on and on.

There's a Jimmy Kimmel Live special on ABC at 12:05AM (10 minutes from now), where they'll show 3 alternate endings and hopefully will answer more questions.

I think one is to assume that they aren't ready to cross over. Like the previous episode we saw Ana Lucia and Desmond said she wasn't ready. Richard... who knows... he could've lived another decade. I think those who were ready to cross over, were the ones that were truly ready.

digitaldude5

[130]May 23, 2010
    • level: 3

I was skimming through some earlier episode writeups for some allusions to the ending... and in the S4 premiere, apparently when Hurley went to Jacob's cabin he was supposed to run into himself, but the network thought that was too weird at the time.

Looking back, it makes WAY more sense to have Hurley see himself rather than Christian, and it would've set up the flash-sideways timeline a lot better. Overall, a great ending to a great series... Everything was mostly wrapped up for anyone who cared to watch the show, and a lot of things really had no significance in the big picture, which is nice. All these little coincidences led these people together in two separate lives (well, one real one and one in-betweener), and they, in essence, discovered the balance of the world.

Edited on 05/23/2010 9:09pm

KamakaLo

[131]May 23, 2010
    • level: 22
    so basically s6 was about their journey to their 'heaven' and basically the whole series was a waste if you ask me. who watches a show just for it to end about them being all happy about being dead ? I mean I liked the reunions but not if they are still dead

ImNotDarioUAre

[132]May 23, 2010

I think Jack pretty much summed it up on Jimmy Kimmel

I STILL don't like the whole being shot and ran over in heaven thing and the whole Aaron going to heaven as a baby thing but maybe I'll get over it.

porky826

[133]May 23, 2010
    • level: 4

I thought the ending was well done. I didn't think it was preachy like some will say it is, but it had meaning and I think it concluded the show well.

Pros

I thought the ALT twist was satisfying because it meant that the island reality is reality. That's what matters. What they did in the ALT reality didn't matter because they were already dead. I'm glad that the ALT reality wasn't going to take over or overlap the island reality and make that meaningless in the end. The 815 crash happened. Always did and always will.

I think killing off the hero in the end is pro because it takes something in ya to do that. Not many shows will have the final scene of the show of the hero closing his eyes or in Lost's case his eye and that being that. Jack died. I give props to that because it's bold. A happy ending with Jack and Kate living forever off the island is too easy to do.

Cons

I thought some characters were left out of the last scene because they weren't on the 815 flight. Desmond was the exception. I would've liked to of seen Richard in there for example. He was way more important to the show than say Shannon or Boone.

I'm not one for love stories. In fact, I hate them, but Lost's love story of Desmond and Penny worked for me. I was drawn to the two characters and I would've liked to of seen one final reunion between the two. I understand that Hurley most certainly let Desmond off the island and he reunited with Penny and Charlie and lived out their life. It's obvious that's what happened. I wish they would've given us a reunion scene though.

Edited on 05/23/2010 9:16pm

ImNotDarioUAre

[134]May 23, 2010
    digitaldude5 wrote:

I was skimming through some earlier episode writeups for some allusions to the ending... and in the S4 premiere, apparently when Hurley went to Jacob's cabin he was supposed to run into himself, but the network thought that was too weird at the time.

Looking back, it makes WAY more sense to have Hurley see himself rather than Christian, and it would've set up the flash-sideways timeline a lot better. Overall, a great ending to a great series... Everything was mostly wrapped up for anyone who cared to watch the show, and a lot of things really had no significance in the big picture, which is nice. All these little coincidences led these people together in two separate lives (well, one real one and one in-betweener), and they, in essence, discovered the balance of the world.

Do you mind explaining how that would make sense?

Chudnofsky

[135]May 23, 2010
    • level: 2

One of the biggest Lost fans here, but come on this was just a bad cop out. I have just one question if this is purgatory WHO THE **** HELL IS DAVID SHEPARD?

CrypticThief

[136]May 23, 2010
    • level: 5
    It's interesting, because the sideways also seems to be their life, but also possibly how they feel about their life and how they wanted it to go. Like Sawyer wanted to be a good guy (cop). Claire wanted a chance to be a mother from the moment of birth... Ben just wanted to do what was right and help Alex...

ImNotDarioUAre

[137]May 23, 2010

Kimmel's idea: Locke and Ben on the Amazing Race....

Best.Idea.EVer

miss_wierd

[138]May 23, 2010

ImNotDarioUAre wrote:

I STILL don't like the whole being shot

Who got shot?

TigerLord

[139]May 23, 2010
    • level: 6
    Sun got shot and ended in the hospital.

miss_wierd

[140]May 23, 2010

I'm watching Jimmy Kimmel! This is awesome! You know what? I didn't know any of these actors or actresses except Matthew Fox, Nestor Carbonell, and Sam Anderson. Thanks to LOST now I know the rest of them. I hope they all get new jobs soon!

Edited on 05/23/2010 9:45pm
    Edited 3 total times.