Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

question about the numbers....and isabelle

nunourbeezwax

[1]Jun 4, 2010
    • level: 11

ok, please dont give me a 'screw damon and carlton for not explaning anything' type of response. i am just very confused about 2 main things in lost. honestly, i know all the haters of the finale are being very persistent in believing there are no answers, but ive had some long ass discussions with my friends and on other forums, and we have found answers (even though they are vague and mostly theories) but at least explanations to everything and i feel like, for the first time, njot being spoon fed the exact explanation was pretty cool. anyway, my questions

first off...the numbers....i remember thinking they were explained, as the numbers of the candidates but my frend pointed this out to me. everyone on the plane was a candidate. 108 to be exact. and these numbers were affecting hurley way before any of them reached the island, so y do the specific numbers of the 6 surviving candidates have to be important. because back then, im sure these 6 werent picked over everyone else...otherwise whats the point in bringing 102 other people to the island.

also, isabelle in ab aeterno....how did smokey take her form? her body wasnt on the island

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kevnay777

[2]Jun 4, 2010
    • level: 8

Ok those two mysteries are probably some of the most intriguing mysteries of the whole show. Too bad they probably won't be explained. But let me take a crack at it.

1. The Numbers- For me the numbers are just simply coincidental. Other people refuse to believe it but I just think theirs no more to it. Jacob had more than 108 candidates. It was just a coincidence that his last 6 candidates which were 4,8,15,16,23,42 just happen to add up to 108. Those six numbers also just happened to be Hurley's lotto numbers, he just happened to have won, which happened to have brought him bad luck (which was probably just in his head). Now as for the Dharma using those 6 numbers, I have a possible valid explanation to it. See maybe 108 minutes was really the time when the electromagnetism would release itself. So the Dharma made their members enter 6 numbers that add up to 108 to neutralize the release of the energy. The same numbers were used on the serial code of the hatch because those numbers are very important because they are the key to contain the energy.Everything was just coincidental and just happened to happen. Like yesterday when my class did group work and I had to move a desk next to my partner to sit with my partner, and all the desks were numbered, the desk just happened to be #23. Now I thought it was kind of cool because its Jack's number and one of the six numbers but I knew it was just a coincidence and I didn't think that it was some kind of magical thing. So thats pretty much what the numbers are in my opinion.

2.Isabelle- Smokey didn't need Isabelle's body. It only needs a body when it wants to take a form for a period of time. It needed MIB's body to take MIB's form, we saw that in "Across the Sea" and it needed Locke's body to take his form. Maybe smokey just went into Richard's mind and put Richard in an illusion where smokey seemed to be Isabelle.

Edited on 06/04/2010 4:54pm

r2d2_cun

[3]Jun 5, 2010
    • level: 5
    @Kevnay777: Not a bad theory for the number, we should just stop trying to find a meaning for everything.

Woongo

[4]Jun 5, 2010

About the numbers: (quote from Sri Lanka video from The LOST Experience):

In 1962, only thirteen years ago, the world came to the brink of nuclear war. The United States and the Soviet Union almost fulfilled the promise of mutual assured destruction. A promise they continue to foster through a destructive Cold War. After the Cuban Missile Crisis, both nations decided to find a solution. The result was the Valenzetti Equation. Commissioned under the highest secrecy, through the U.N. Security Council, the equation is the brainchild of the Italian mathematician Enzo Valenzetti. It predicts the exact number of years and months until humanity extinguishes itself. Whether through nuclear fire, chemical and biological warfare, conventional warfare, pandemic, over-population... The results are chilling, and attention must be paid...

Valenzetti gave numerical values to the core environmental and human factors in his equation: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42. Only by manipulating the environment, by finding scientific solutions to our problems we will be able to change those core factors, and give humanity a chance to survive. Although the equation has been buried by those who commissioned it [STATIC] panic. It has always been my belief that we ignore warnings at our own peril; and thus, the DHARMA Initiative was born.

DHARMA is an acronym for Department of Heuristics And Research on Material Applications. It also stands for the one true way. [STATIC] ...and through your research, you will help human... [STATIC].

We have constructed several stations on the island, underground laboratories with the facilities you will need to do your research, with optimal expediency...all of the support you will need, including regular medicine and food drops will be made in perpetuity.

A radio transmitter has also been erected on the island broadcasting in a frequency and encryption known only to us. The transmitter will only broadcast the core numerical values of the Valenzetti Equation. When, through your research, you manage to change the numerical value of any one of these factors, when you have created through science the [inaudible] ... We will know that the one true way has been found.

That is the work to which you have committed yourself. Change the core values of the Valenzetti Equation, and you will change the course of destiny. The fate of the human race is in your hands.

Thank you and namaste.

ajokurvanyad

[5]Jun 5, 2010
    • level: 4

nunourbeezwax wrote:

also, isabelle in ab aeterno....how did smokey take her form? her body wasnt on the island

that wasn't big smoke's doing.when richard asked him about his wife he had no idea what he was talking about but went along with it cuz he saw an opportunity.richard was seeing things probably because of exhaustion,lack of food and water.his mind was playing tricks on him.

buildam2005

[6]Jun 5, 2010
    • level: 14
    Kevnay777 wrote:

Ok those two mysteries are probably some of the most intriguing mysteries of the whole show. Too bad they probably won't be explained. But let me take a crack at it.

1. The Numbers- For me the numbers are just simply coincidental. Other people refuse to believe it but I just think theirs no more to it. Jacob had more than 108 candidates. It was just a coincidence that his last 6 candidates which were 4,8,15,16,23,42 just happen to add up to 108. Those six numbers also just happened to be Hurley's lotto numbers, he just happened to have won, which happened to have brought him bad luck (which was probably just in his head). Now as for the Dharma using those 6 numbers, I have a possible valid explanation to it. See maybe 108 minutes was really the time when the electromagnetism would release itself. So the Dharma made their members enter 6 numbers that add up to 108 to neutralize the release of the energy. The same numbers were used on the serial code of the hatch because those numbers are very important because they are the key to contain the energy.Everything was just coincidental and just happened to happen. Like yesterday when my class did group work and I had to move a desk next to my partner to sit with my partner, and all the desks were numbered, the desk just happened to be #23. Now I thought it was kind of cool because its Jack's number and one of the six numbers but I knew it was just a coincidence and I didn't think that it was some kind of magical thing. So thats pretty much what the numbers are in my opinion.

2.Isabelle- Smokey didn't need Isabelle's body. It only needs a body when it wants to take a form for a period of time. It needed MIB's body to take MIB's form, we saw that in "Across the Sea" and it needed Locke's body to take his form. Maybe smokey just went into Richard's mind and put Richard in an illusion where smokey seemed to be Isabelle.

While there are certainly coincidences in real life, I feel like (and this is just my personal opinion) that in a created fictional world, those huge coincidences have to be given more significance. I wouldn't have cared about the presence of numbers in Jacob's lighthouse if the writers hadn't DELIBERATELY chosen the numbers from the hatch. Heck, I wouldn't have cared about the numbers in the hatch at the end of the show if they hadn't ALSO shown up in Jacob's lighthouse, if that makes sense. Independently of one another, they don't bother me at all, nor do I really think they'd need much explanation. It's the fact that they BOTH exist TOGETHER that raises questions--what is the connection between Jacob, his candidates, and the hatch? Did DHARMA know about his numbers? If so, how or why? It's just too much of a conscious creative choice by the writers to ignore or chalk up as a coincidence. If it is just a coincidence, it's just another example of a mystery connection created simply to create tension/mystery, which is no replacement for substance.

SnarkBC

[7]Jun 6, 2010
    • level: 8

MiB's line "Jacob had a thing for numbers" is the most we'll ever get on understanding that mystery.

OOsteb

[8]Jun 6, 2010

Personally, I think the crazy guy in the institute that gave Hurly the numbers was on the Island pushing the button before Desmond. (Desmond may have said something about the guy before him). I also think that Jacob being on the Island knew what Dharma was up to and knew the numbers also, that's why he left them alone. He may have even told them how to keep smokey out with that fence. As for the rest of it, I think they were the seat numbers assigned randomly. Some was coincidence, some wasn't. This makes me happy. Not happy about the Finale though.Foot in mouth

Mackwiss

[9]Jun 7, 2010
    • level: 3

My guess is the numbers importance was made by Jacob. Hurleys bad luck was also made by Jacob to bring Hurley to Australia so he could get on the flight.

The numbers importance for Dharma might be because of the candidates. Didn't they all went back in and then exploded one of Dharmas construction sites? Maybe theres a connection with the numbers there...

ajokurvanyad

[10]Jun 7, 2010
    • level: 4

OOsteb wrote:

Personally, I think the crazy guy in the institute that gave Hurly the numbers was on the Island pushing the button before Desmond. (Desmond may have said something about the guy before him).

didn't rezinsky and the dude who found desmond on the shore operate the hatch,push the button,before desmond's shipwreck

aidorrocks

[11]Jun 7, 2010
    • level: 10
    ajokurvanyad wrote:

OOsteb wrote:

Personally, I think the crazy guy in the institute that gave Hurly the numbers was on the Island pushing the button before Desmond. (Desmond may have said something about the guy before him).

didn't rezinsky and the dude who found desmond on the shore operate the hatch,push the button,before desmond's shipwreck

yeah, him & kelvin inman or something. then radzinsky shot himself in the head leaving inman on his own until desmond showed up.

the crazy guy in the mental hospital told hurley that a friend and he were out on a boat & picked up the radio tower transmission. he was also the one who told hurley the numbers were cursed.

fnlheroes

[12]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 6
    The numbers- I'm still Lost. If anything the candidates, were just another coincedence rather than an explanation.
    Isabelle- Ok here's my theory. That wasn't actually smokey, becuase if anything she/it inspired Richard to stay away from Smokey. My theory is that it was actually Isabelle, dropping in from heaven to say hi to Richard. This is the same for when Charlie visited Hurley in season 4.