Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Questions about 'The end'

creative1985

[1]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 13

Hi

Somthing I have been thinking a lot about and wanting to ask you, to hear what you think.

So they were all at the church in the end of the episode, and I get that and why.

But what I don't get is, what that light was all about?

And what did it mean when Christian opened the doors and left the church? Was it to show that they all went to heaven?

Also - I dont quite get the afterlife.. I have an idea, but im not sure if it's correct.:

For example: After Jack died on the island, he was given an afterlife: which if Im corrected - means that he was born again and lived another life until he met Kate again and remembered his life before he died. IS THAT TRUE? If not, Im completely Lost :-P

Overall I thought it was a great ending - allthough I wanted a bit more answers to the mysteries - but I have accepted it and im happy with it as it is.

Loved the scene with Charlie, Claire, Aaron and Kate, It was so beautiful!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fnlheroes

[2]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 6

Ok I'll try my best to explain my interpretation.

The light in the church represented heaven, and they were entering the light if that makes any sense.

As for the Sideways purgatory, that wasn't a second life, it was just a dream they all made up, so they can pass on. Everything that happened in the sideways world, before they all got on the plane ( such as Jack and Juliet getting married) never actually happened. They were just made up memories to make purgatory feel real.

KiaEclipse100

[3]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 7

Your original post sounds spot on to me. But the ending is meant to be open tointerpretation. What do youbelievehappens when you die? Notice when Jack sees his father, the stained glass window has symbols of the worlds 6 major religious, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc. etc. The ending was to serve all these views. There's no wrong way to look at it.

creative1985

[4]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 13

fnlheroes wrote:

Ok I'll try my best to explain my interpretation.

The light in the church represented heaven, and they were entering the light if that makes any sense.

As for the Sideways purgatory, that wasn't a second life, it was just a dream they all made up, so they can pass on. Everything that happened in the sideways world, before they all got on the plane ( such as Jack and Juliet getting married) never actually happened. They were just made up memories to make purgatory feel real.

Thank you, that makes alot more sense to me now.

ayepes

[5]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 3

When Christian opens the door and that light enters the church, they travel to the island, the original island in the original universe.

CharmedOneP391

[6]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 19

ayepes wrote:

When Christian opens the door and that light enters the church, they travel to the island, the original island in the original universe.

where'd you get that from? They were all already dead.

ayepes

[7]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 3

All death, when?, I have seen at this forums and everybody says that that was Purgatory, but wasn't that an alternate universe?, Oh, I'm starting to get real mad at the producers. Christian never says purgatory, and hedidn'tsay that they were dead, he says: "everybody dies at some point". And when did Sawyer died? and Kate? Desmond? Penny?, so the Ajira plane crashed again?. I HATE the finale now.

KingofIPirates

[8]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 32
    Christian confirms that everybody there was dead, some died after Jack and some before, which suggests there is no time in purgatory.

JoshWhalen

[9]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 6

Okay, this may be really ridiculous, but here is my "theory". They weren't alive or dead after the plane crash. The was more of them getting a second chance before moving on (dying after having been on the island). The island was so strange and different due to all the cultures having been on the island at some point or another. That explains the foot statue, the hyroglphyics, etc. And everything on the island added up to help the survivors of Oceanic flight 815 find themselves on the island (A.K.A second chance) Because Jacob knew that one of them would have to replace him. That's why the numbers were everywhere. To try to show them that they were special and important. And Jacob knew it would end up being hurley. That's why he was the first one to see the numbers together. One of the major themes of the show, mentioned in every season, was that life had a path, and no matter how hard you try to break it, youll always end up back on the path. That was the point of the sideways world. Once they had all died, life put them back together, and much like Elouise explained to Desmond in the jewlery shop, Christian explained to Jack about the path of life. After they had all died, life made it so that they could find each other and remember, and move on together. Though, to make it more realistic, it was made so that the place where they found each other....I don't like calling it Purgatory..... could be where they lived out their dreams. A.K.A. Elouise wantd to marry Charles Widmore, therefore it was Elouise and Daniel Widmore. She also wanted to live a life where she could spend with her son. That's why she didn't want to move on. Because he would remember her killing him. Daniel got to play the piano, Jack got to be a good father and a confident surgeon, Sawyer picked to be a cop instead of a criminal, Miles used his gift for good, Charlie got to be a rock god, but realized he really wanted to be with that mystery blonde woman cough claire cough, and so on. We also didn't learn some people's dreams, we just got to see them executed in the sideways world. And once they had all found each other, they could move on through the light that they had kept protected (did anyone else make that connection?) which was heaven, and live happily ever after. I'm probably wrong, but that was fun to write, so....

major_zero25

[10]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 8
    well what I got is this: they all survived the plain crash lived there lives then the people who died went to the sideways world, but since there is no time in the sideways world they saw the people that died years after they did. in the side ways world they were supposed to find the one who changed there lives in the real world, jack/ Kate Sawyer/Juliet sayed/shanon hurly/ Libby and so on note that micheal and Ana Lucia weren't there( in the church) because there lives weren't really changed (or changed someone elses life) well these are just some thoughts.