Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Should I purchase on iTunes?

Should I?

Nickylucas

[1]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 23

I've read the summary and reviews and everything and it just doesn't look that good to me. I mean what are people going to do on an ISLAND for 6 whole seasons? And according to everyone here the Series Finale sucked, so I don't want to go into something and then come out of it feeling cheated, and cheated money-wise because I'll be buying them on iTunes. I want you guys' advice, is LOST really worth it? Leave your comments below, thanks in advance and please give me real answers not just 'It's so incredably awesome buy buy...' tell me exactly why it's awesome and what makes it so good because it sounds kind of boring to me, but everyone says its awesome.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lostfanatic8

[2]Nov 17, 2010
    • level: 2

Yes, LOST is definitely worth it and in my opinion the series finale was very well- done. it was good as it could have possibly been. i see from ur pic thingy that u watch avatar:after avatar ended, I went from being an obsessed avatar- fan to an obsessed lost- fan, they are both very different shows but something about them must be the same because ive heard many stories of avatar to lost. and LOST is 10X better, just sayingg. so yeahhh.

buildam2005

[3]Nov 17, 2010
    • level: 14

My suggestion is get the first season for sure, and probably two and three. Then ask yourself if you want to story to continue coherently and for the characters to continue to be interesting. If the answer is yes, then stop watching--things derail pretty significantly in years four, five, and six. If you don't mind, then go for it.

I'm really not trying to bash in this answer; I think the first three seasons are phenomenal, with season one being about as good as first years of a show get. However, the latter years abandon character-rich stories and the plot becomes nonsensical.

BrandonHall1

[4]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 6

You definitely should. The finale did not "suck" as some have put it. The only reason people have been railing on it is because either they didn't understand it (or most of the rest of the show) or they didn't like happy endings. Only the second of these two options is a valid reason for not liking it. Granted, the first time I watched seasons 1-5 I was looking for blatant answers to all my questions, but after watching season 6 (which followed another viewing of 1-5) I learned that questions could be answered by looking at the characters themselves and their motives. Just because it doesn't spell everything out for you every time doesn't mean that the questions were not answered.

As for the show getting less character-focuses and more sci-fi focused in seasons 4-6, I would agree with that, but I see it as a logical progression of the show rather than a complete change. After the first half of the show it makes sense that the stakes would be raised and more would be going on. In the first three seasons, things are a lot slower and a lot of minor events that are sprinkled throughout certain episodes lead up to the finale in which something big happens. I would describe this as like putting together a puzzle by focusing on each individual piece, the characters and minor events, and the big picture becomes clear at the end of the season. In seasons 4-5 the more significant events take place more frequently, and the science fiction elements are more prominent (meaning that they were there all along, just not focused on as much). The show speeds up, giving you the feeling that it's leading you towards a dramatic end. So is there less of a focus on character development? Yes, because we already know who these characters are for the most part. But it is definitely worth mentioning that about half of each episode is still devoted to exploring the story of at least one character, as it was in the first three seasons. And through these stories we see what the characters have done and how they've changed. These two seasons really focus on how the characters have evolved during the show, not just who they were before the show takes place. And extremely likable new characters come into play as well. I fully enjoyed each of the halves of the show, and I don't see them as completely different from each other in style. I see the second half as the logical progression and climax to the first half, with the characters we know and love still being emphasized.

Season 6 is different from all the others in style. Admittedly, it was not my favorite season, but those who really enjoyed the first season especially, would appreciate the slow build up to the finale and the almost complete emphasis on character development. A lot of important questions were answered in this season, as I mentioned, and they were answered more blatantly than other more minor questions, which shows that the writers were dedicated to providing easy answers to people's most pressing questions. Those that complain about "many" of the questions being left unanswered are referring to the few, minor questions that can be answered by examining the motives of the various groups and characters. A second viewing of the show is helpful, as I said, just because there are so many important events that it's hard to see how well they fit together with just one viewing. But by all means, the show can be enjoyed just as much the first time if you let it.

So after all that, which was advice to you mixed with a rant against those who find faults where they shouldn't, I hope you decide to buy this amazinbeg show. And as for the description and your question as to how all six seasons can take place on a deserted island? Just ignore it. It works, but nobody can explain why or how it works. Just that it does. Believe me, trying to explain it to people who have never watched it is pretty impossible and only makes you sound silly. Just try it out. Rent the first season instead of buying it if it's bothering you that much. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

aila4starlight

[5]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 1

"what are people stranded on an island going to do for 6 seasons?" a lot!

I had kinda same hesitations before buying lost but I found it extraordinary beautiful since the first episode.

I believe that you can never know whether you like a show or not until you watch it. well, a lot of people loved harry potter movies but I didn't. I say watch first episode online and if you liked it, go buy it. there is a good chance that you like it.

but nonetheless I'm gonna give you some guidelines. lost best suits you if you have many whys and questionsin life like why we're here? where are we heading to? do things happen for a reason? etc...

and if you like nature so you can enjoy great scenery of lost. it is filmed inone of the most beautiful islands in the world; Hawii.

and if you're into some sci-fiction and some sprituality.

and if you enjoy great performance and great lines that make you think.

and about the end, I thought it was great. I watched it three times. people have diffrenet opinions. you may like it. you can't say until you watch it.

Edited on 12/04/2010 12:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.

jusdeep01

[6]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 1

Yea, if you're looking for a show to watch Lost is the one. I started watching the show towards the end of season 5, so I could literally watch Lost all day, and sometimes I did lol. Really great

sremnes

[7]Dec 22, 2010
    • level: 20

Yeah, you should watch it. Its a top notch show. Just dont expect any explenations, answers at all. The ending is cheap, but if you can accept no answers to the big questions of the series, and the thing that nothing is real, then watch it, it has some good stories.

avi01

[8]Jan 7, 2011
    • level: 26
    LOST is one of the best shows ever..so yeah

Alienfanex

[9]Jan 8, 2011
    • level: 4
    Sremnes... um what do you mean nothing was real?

sremnes

[11]Jan 13, 2011
    • level: 20

Right, says one with 25 posts, and level 3. lol.

My comment sums up Lost pretty much.

WarriorsBeyond

[14]Jan 14, 2011
    • level: 3

Okay fine, LOL. If this gets deleted I'll be shocked...

Sremnes, I respect your view on the show but I'm going to have to respectively disagree. You say that no big questions are answered when in reality this is quite untrue. Most big questions are indeed answered, some a little ambiguous but answered nonetheless. I understand that questions such as the outrigger chase aren't answered but other things are. This page will help you understand my point: http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/08/lost-mysteries-and-answers-complete-and.html

Another thing I must disagree with you is the fact that nothing is real. In case you are unsure, the island is real while the flash-sideways is the afterlife. I believe many people have made this mistake so it is quite forgivable. The reason I am saying these things is so no one gets the wrong idea about the ending of the show. I hope you will be able to see my point-of-view after reading this and we can learn to respect each other's views and maybe even become friends Smile

Edited on 01/14/2011 5:37pm

motleylil

[15]May 23, 2011
    • level: 19

WarriorsBeyond wrote:

Sremnes, I respect your view on the show but I'm going to have to respectively disagree. You say that no big questions are answered when in reality this is quite untrue. Most big questions are indeed answered, some a little ambiguous but answered nonetheless. I understand that questions such as the outrigger chase aren't answered but other things are. This page will help you understand my point: http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/08/lost-mysteries-and-answers-complete-and.html

Another thing I must disagree with you is the fact that nothing is real. In case you are unsure, the island is real while the flash-sideways is the afterlife. I believe many people have made this mistake so it is quite forgivable. The reason I am saying these things is so no one gets the wrong idea about the ending of the show. I hope you will be able to see my point-of-view after reading this and we can learn to respect each other's views and maybe even become friends Smile

Just wanted to mention, you just gave away a BIG reveal in a thread that was originally about whether or not the guy was going to start watching.

WarriorsBeyond

[16]May 28, 2011
    • level: 3

motleylil wrote:

WarriorsBeyond wrote:

Just wanted to mention, you just gave away a BIG reveal in a thread that was originally about whether or not the guy was going to start watching.

Whoops

My original posts had spoiler warnings but kept getting removed as they were apparently 'abusive', even though they weren't. I was so tied up in making that post not 'abusive' I forgot to add spoiler tags.

Sorry

Bytor65

[17]May 29, 2011
    • level: 6

I would go for DVDs for the extras and you can probably find them cheaper than iTunes...

Definitely worth it. Watching on DVD/iTunes is better because you don't have to deal with commercials/hiatus, so you will remember the events better, which will make fitting the pieces of the puzzle together easier.

Lost has one of the best characters rosters of any TV show. It is worth seeing it for that alone. The characters have so much intrigue/depth and are so well written/acted that it is a pleasure to watch them.

But I wouldn't want to force it. If after a few episodes you don't find these to be some of the best characters on TV, Lost may not be for you.

Also there are a lot of superantural mysteries and strange happenings that make take some time to sort out. Some like this, some don't.

The real test is in the watching. Give season 1 a shot, if you aren't hooked, it isn't for you.

Kadodian

[18]Jan 29, 2012
    • level: 23
    It's an exiting ride. Yes, the ending was the most disappointing ending of a show ever but I don't regret watching the show since it introduced me to cherichable characters and some of the most intense scenes on television history. Check it out but don't put too much hope on getting all your questions answered.