Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

since when do "good" shows/movies explain everything?

chuwen25

[1]May 25, 2010
    • level: 6

so for people who are complaining about the lack of answers from the ending, let's imagine how lame the show would be if they spill out everything for you. just in case you don't know this, but good shows don't layout everything in front of you.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

louiskounios

[2]May 26, 2010
    • level: 4

Ignorance is bliss, my friend.

Iamrecognized

[3]May 26, 2010
    • level: 8

Unless, of course, you watched the show because it was intricate and interesting, and the ending essentially tells you that none of that matters because they got to be with each other when they died. Yawn.

buildam2005

[4]May 26, 2010
    • level: 14
    Iamrecognized wrote:

Unless, of course, you watched the show because it was intricate and interesting, and the ending essentially tells you that none of that matters because they got to be with each other when they died. Yawn.

Exactly. Good shows/films may not present you with the entire puzzle with every piece where it belongs to make a clear picture, but they at least provide you with all the pieces. In the end, Lost only gave you 60% of the pieces and still expected you to get the whole picture. Shoddy storytelling at its core.

Theendfan

[5]May 26, 2010
    • level: 2
    buildam2005 wrote:
    Iamrecognized wrote:

Exactly. Good shows/films may not present you with the entire puzzle with every piece where it belongs to make a clear picture, but they at least provide you with all the pieces. In the end, Lost only gave you 60% of the pieces and still expected you to get the whole picture. Shoddy storytelling at its core.

But how can you guys get from the finale that what happened did mattered. Everything matters even if you don't fully understand it, and that is life. If you defined your love for the WHOLE show by the answers you were expecting to get later on, then ok, I understand your disappointment. Otherwise your dislike for the ending shouldn't change your perception of what happened before.

ajokurvanyad

[6]May 26, 2010

please stop compairing the show to life.nothing like it and that's why you watch it.if you want life than go out on the street.

another thing yes life has lots of unanswered questions but isn't the main thing that makes humans unique the quest the find the answers?i just hated the fact that lost basicaly said f*** the ridles of existence you'll be more happy in imagination-land.

Theendfan

[7]May 26, 2010
    • level: 2
    ajokurvanyad wrote:

please stop compairing the show to life.nothing like it and that's why you watch it.if you want life than go out on the street.

another thing yes life has lots of unanswered questions but isn't the main thing that makes humans unique the quest the find the answers?i just hated the fact that lost basicaly said f*** the ridles of existence you'll be more happy in imagination-land.

Well I loved it because it reminded me of some some great literature and theater work of when catharsis was the purpose of the story. And it doesn't say f*** the riddles, it says you may not get all the answers to your riddles so don't make them the most important part. So yes I also have many questions, but in the end it doesn't make me enjoy it less, if anything it makes me enjoy it more. And I know it doesn't mean everyone else has to feel the same way.

ajokurvanyad

[8]May 26, 2010

Theendfan wrote:
    ajokurvanyad wrote:

Well I loved it because it reminded me of some some great literature and theater work of when catharsis was the purpose of the story. And it doesn't say f*** the riddles, it says you may not get all the answers to your riddles so don't make them the most important part. So yes I also have many questions, but in the end it doesn't make me enjoy it less, if anything it makes me enjoy it more. And I know it doesn't mean everyone else has to feel the same way.

problem is the mystery was more interesting than the characters and their was no pay-off in that part

buildam2005

[9]May 26, 2010
    Theendfan wrote:
    buildam2005 wrote:
    Iamrecognized wrote:

But how can you guys get from the finale that what happened did mattered. Everything matters even if you don't fully understand it, and that is life. If you defined your love for the WHOLE show by the answers you were expecting to get later on, then ok, I understand your disappointment. Otherwise your dislike for the ending shouldn't change your perception of what happened before.

I agree to the extent that the unsatisfying ending doesn't sour what I loved--I've always adored season one and a lot of seasons two and three, and no matter what came after, I'll always love those. But the latter half of the show was all mystery (not much interesting--though a bit--happened in terms of character development) with no payoff, which loses points in my book, that's all. I just get annoyed when people say we should "interpret" the plot, when the basic plot is NOT what one is meant to interpret.

lostfan111

[10]May 26, 2010
    • level: 6

Why were you guys expecting answers? The show had TOO MANY MYSTERIES TO SOLVE.

Whats wrong with the ending they gave? It was nice =)

Edited on 05/26/2010 7:13pm

Torzhestvuyushe

[11]May 26, 2010
    • level: 11

People aren't asking for EVERYTHING to be answered perfectly. They are asking for MORE to be answered. The writers made it all up as they went along, got in over their heads, and became incapable of answering much of the questions they had created. They'll never admit to that, but it's pretty obvious. The same reason why almost everyone's last name changed. Miles Chang vs. Miles Straume, Daniel Widmore vs. Daniel Faraday, Ethan Goodspeed vs. Ethan Rom. They just made up all that crap way later and tried to fit it into the story...this isn't a novel where you don't release it until the entire thing is done. This is done on the spot in the moment so it becomes more and more difficult to answer old questions.

Edited on 05/26/2010 8:25pm

ajokurvanyad

[12]May 27, 2010

lostfan111 wrote:

Why were you guys expecting answers? The show had TOO MANY MYSTERIES TO SOLVE.

Whats wrong with the ending they gave? It was nice =)

we were expecting answers because we were lead to believe for 6years that they had the answers(from the storytelling to the promos).if they have too many mysteries than they should eigther warn us ahead that it's not going to be resolved and hope for the best OR they should quit.that's it.that would have been the descent thing to do.but that's not what happened and we've been decieved by two a$$holes

silver_9898

[13]May 27, 2010
    • level: 3

I agree, the show should have given us some answers. I know a lot of people who invested time and energy into this show and to not get that closure is rather disappointing. In fact, you can see a decrease in the # of viewers from season 3-4ish because a lot of people started to realise that we weren't going to get answers, only more questions. And now after 6 seasons, and the finale, its still the same! I didn't watch the show for the characters and the philosophy behind it. I watched it because I wanted answers!

ajokurvanyad

[14]May 27, 2010

silver_9898 wrote:

I agree, the show should have given us some answers. I know a lot of people who invested time and energy into this show and to not get that closure is rather disappointing. In fact, you can see a decrease in the # of viewers from season 3-4ish because a lot of people started to realise that we weren't going to get answers, only more questions. And now after 6 seasons, and the finale, its still the same! I didn't watch the show for the characters and the philosophy behind it. I watched it because I wanted answers!

Yeah,the shows novelty wasn't the philosophy nor the characters,it was the mystery and the narrative(past/present/eventauly futre)

i think the people who stopped watching after season 3-4 and realized they weren't going to get answers were the smartest.we were dumb enough to believe they had it all figured out.we had faith in them,that was dumb of us.and then there's the people who have faith and they're just stupid,but loved the show

motleylil

[15]May 28, 2010
    • level: 19

ajokurvanyad wrote:

silver_9898 wrote:

Yeah,the shows novelty wasn't the philosophy nor the characters,it was the mystery and the narrative(past/present/eventauly futre)

i think the people who stopped watching after season 3-4 and realized they weren't going to get answers were the smartest.we were dumb enough to believe they had it all figured out.we had faith in them,that was dumb of us.and then there's the people who have faith and they're just stupid,but loved the show

It angers me beyond belief to read comments by people like you saying we're stupid for liking the ending. When you watch Star Wars, do you demand to know how exactly Jedi got their powers, or do you just go with the fact that they do? The things they didn't explain are things that weren't necessary for us to understand what the story really was about. They just explained that there was an island and that on the island there was a light that had to be protected. That light gives the island and its protector the powers he needs to protect it. Call me stupid if you want, but that's enough for me to know.

To me, the show is about a group of characters who had to deal with a situation they didn't fully understand. I think it's fitting that we don't know everything, since no one on the show knows everything. I think it's fitting we know no more than the principal characters know. But, of course, I'm "stupid" for saying so, since that's all you have to say about people who don't agree with you.

Edited on 05/28/2010 1:56pm

buildam2005

[16]May 28, 2010
    motleylil wrote:

ajokurvanyad wrote:

silver_9898 wrote:

It angers me beyond belief to read comments by people like you saying we're stupid for liking the ending. When you watch Star Wars, do you demand to know how exactly Jedi got their powers, or do you just go with the fact that they do? The things they didn't explain are things that weren't necessary for us to understand what the story really was about. They just explained that there was an island and that on the island there was a light that had to be protected. That light gives the island and its protector the powers he needs to protect it. Call me stupid if you want, but that's enough for me to know.

To me, the show is about a group of characters who had to deal with a situation they didn't fully understand. I think it's fitting that we don't know everything, since no one on the show knows everything. I think it's fitting we know no more than the principal characters know. But, of course, I'm "stupid" for saying so, since that's all you have to say about people who don't agree with you.

While I don't think it's fair to say that someone who liked the ending is stupid, there does seem, in my opinion (and just my opinion), that if your main interest in watching the show was the characters, I would think that the ending would piss you off. Mostly I think this because the ending totally undoes the journeys that all of these individuals experienced on an individual level--that is, it wouldn't have mattered if Jack had made his personal sacrifice to save the island or not; he'd end up in the happy alternative life/afterlife after whatever death he experienced. This is evidenced by the fact that Kate, Sawyer, Claire, etecetera, people who leave the island and, with the exception of Sawyer, don't particularly make any heroic moves throughout the series (which is all that we have to base our understanding of their actions on). There are no consequences for their journeys, arcs, or actions--they all end up in the same place. It doesn't matter that Locke failed to make a connection with his father in real life, or that he got a chance to show faith or specialness on the island, because he got what he wanted in the afterlife. The basic claim is that even if you fail in life, you will be happy at the end.

And it gives these characters kooky post-death powers to create an afterlife, the seeds of which were never, ever planted on the show.

Again, though, just personal opinion. Not trying to attack you or your feelings about the show at all.

motleylil

[17]May 28, 2010

buildam2005 wrote:
    motleylil wrote:

ajokurvanyad wrote:

silver_9898 wrote:

While I don't think it's fair to say that someone who liked the ending is stupid, there does seem, in my opinion (and just my opinion), that if your main interest in watching the show was the characters, I would think that the ending would piss you off. Mostly I think this because the ending totally undoes the journeys that all of these individuals experienced on an individual level--that is, it wouldn't have mattered if Jack had made his personal sacrifice to save the island or not; he'd end up in the happy alternative life/afterlife after whatever death he experienced. This is evidenced by the fact that Kate, Sawyer, Claire, etecetera, people who leave the island and, with the exception of Sawyer, don't particularly make any heroic moves throughout the series (which is all that we have to base our understanding of their actions on). There are no consequences for their journeys, arcs, or actions--they all end up in the same place. It doesn't matter that Locke failed to make a connection with his father in real life, or that he got a chance to show faith or specialness on the island, because he got what he wanted in the afterlife. The basic claim is that even if you fail in life, you will be happy at the end. And it gives these characters kooky post-death powers to create an afterlife, the seeds of which were never, ever planted on the show. Again, though, just personal opinion. Not trying to attack you or your feelings about the show at all.

Thank you. While I don't agree with you, I'm grateful that you actually have an argument against what I way, instead of just saying "it makes no sense. you're dumb for saying it does." I was watching Mad Men the other day and Duck says something quite interesting that people on this very forum should keep in mind: "There are other ways to think of things than the way you think of them."

Anyway, you do have a strong argument here.

ajokurvanyad

[18]May 28, 2010

motleylil wrote:

don't get pissed at me for calling things as they are.hey,if it makes you feal any better i'm in that stupid camp to.but i can admit to the fact that i've been decieved,outsmarted by a bunch of writers on tv.i was satisfied for with the ending for more than an hour))

motleylil

[19]May 28, 2010

ajokurvanyad wrote:

motleylil wrote:

don't get pissed at me for calling things as they are.hey,if it makes you feal any better i'm in that stupid camp to.but i can admit to the fact that i've been decieved,outsmarted by a bunch of writers on tv.i was satisfied for with the ending for more than an hour))

I'm pissed because you called stupid people who don't think the same you do about a TV show. I don't believe I have been fooled by the writers for watching a show for six seasons without getting answers to most of the questions they brought up. I was satisfied with the ending. And I think I have a right to get pissed when you question my sanity for no good reason.

ajokurvanyad

[20]May 29, 2010

stupid and insane are not the same thing.i like the good ol' *b*tch slap plot twist as the next guy but if you let yourself get endulged by a faith ending to sci-fi/mystery show - the two just do not go with one another - then you're at least gullible.