Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

The entire point of the ending was.....

trishuhhh

[21]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13
    Mr. Eko, can't remember the actor's name, declined the invite to appear in the finale. He wanted 5x the money offered and things just didn't work out :-/
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MichaelZeiger

[22]May 24, 2010
    • level: 7

The creators said it many times.. there is no book of answers to life, you don't get to know everything. The fact that some things remain a mystery is part of the greatness of the show, it will keep people talking about it long after it is gone.

I thought it was a beautiful and fitting end to the show. For some it may have been about the mysteries but for the people creating the show it was about the characters and how they grew as people in a world filled with these mysteries.

A lot of people seem to be very ungrateful about what they got to experience. A show like this doesn't get to be on network television often. So what if it didn't wrap up everything in a neat little ball for you? So what if you can't explain everything.. that is life, and that is how it works. You don't have answers for everything you have seen, heard, or done. When you eventually pass on there will be a lot of questions left unanswered in your life to.

Asking for answers to everything is, honestly, a little silly. All the answers would lead to more questions and the show would have run way past it's expiry date. It was a perfect ending for the show, it expressed the main themes of the show and wrapped them up nicely. I couldn't ask for anything more.

SVU_number_1fan

[23]May 24, 2010
    • level: 17
    trishuhhh wrote:
    Mr. Eko, can't remember the actor's name, declined the invite to appear in the finale. He wanted 5x the money offered and things just didn't work out :-/
    wow 4real!!!! dangggggg no wonder he got killed of lol

aaraldo

[24]May 24, 2010
    • level: 5

tv_worm wrote:

I mentioned this on another board but here goes: its not like people didn't like the ending. Even those people who say this was a horrible finale, liked the ending but in the context of the fact that majority of lost mysteries were left for this 2 and a half hour bonanza to solve, the fact that really none of those mysteries were even tackled was disappointing. Let me give you an example:

In last week's episode when Jacob was talking to the candidates, that was the crucial moment that a LOT of stuff could be answered (Hurley even says in the episode that Jacob wasn't all that informative). Instead, the information given was very half baked. Yet lost fans went with the explanations given because we assumed that revealing too much at that moment would ruin the twists in the finale. Twists that never showed up and therefore resolving certain mysteries there and then would be helpful. What mysteries? Here is a few I can think of the top of my head:

- what do pregnant women have to do with the island and why can't people give birth?

- why was Jacob's mom on the island and if that continues does anyone know who the first protector was?

- did the numbers cause Hurley's bad luck or did Hurley have bad luck to begin with and the numbers was just providing him with a purpose to get through the bad phase and make his way to the island (and take up his destiny as Jacob!)

thats just three questions I can think of right away, I am sure someone else will think of like 10 more questions to add to it.

The show became a lot more mythological than scientific in the last couple of episodes. The answers are all there, you just have to dig a little deeper. And you already answered your own answer, that answering questions will lead to more questions just like reality. We figured out that DNA is basically the 'written formula' of all life on Earth. Yet we still do not know where it comes from or why it is there.

This reality in life, trying to find out who the 'first' one is but never finding the answer is the same as Lost. You asked who the first protector is, but have we found who the first human is? Do we need to know and not live life because of that?

Jacob have already answered the position of the protector of the island, being a lonely loser. Everybody in life (not only in Oceanic 815) are all lonely losers before we find our constant. The thing in life that we become attached to is our constant, and that is why names were written off the cave.

Pregnant women on the island cannot give birth because they have been exposed to the electromagnetic energy over the 9 months they are in labor with. That's why women who conceive outside of the island can give birth. Also, the 'light' as said by the protector 2000 years ago do not know what electromagnetism is, therefore they call it the light.

Hurley never had bad luck, as explained in the episode where he kept repeating, "We make our own luck" while trying to start the engine of the car. He only assumes that the bad luck that were coincidences more often than not came from the numbers. In fact, most of the things that happen to him had been good luck yet he only focuses on the bad luck as we all do.

The numbers were also taken from a fellow patient who was in the same mental hospital Hurley stayed in. The patient must have taken the numbers from the island before his mind went haywire from electromagnetic energy, like Daniel Faraday doing his experiments with the same energy.

The numbers are also associated with the end of time (The Valenzetti Equation), apocalypse if you may. The Dharma initiative probably put the numbers on the hatch as to say that if the button isn't pushed every 108 minutes, then it will be the end of the island. The numbers were used by Jacob to signify the end of time for him, and the rise of a new era through thecandidates.

You can keep finding answers through the episodes, and you can make up your own assumptions. That is the beauty of the show, that every theory is, in some way, correct.

camy_me440042

[25]May 24, 2010
    • level: 6

I loved the ending. I was disappointedwhen Jack just chose to become the protector of the island. I expected more drama, at least some tears... and now I'm happy I got to see that.

It's kind of sad that out of all the characters, only 6 got to leave the island and3 others survived. I just wish I knew what they did after the ending. I guess that the reason for not showing was that it was all aboutJack. When hedied the story ended.

I liked the way they all stayed together even after they died.

I think the point of this ending was to show that it was their destiny to be together.

Creamcannon

[26]May 24, 2010
    • level: 3

Not going to be negative about a show that has been great for 6 seasons i liked the end and found it really funny that Ben finally found a friend in Hugo, loved it at the end when they compliment eachother on the nr1 and nr2 part haha

no80s

[27]May 24, 2010
    • level: 5
    Thank you all for you inputs, But you gone way off the topic, I made this thread to help the fans who were confused by the last 5 minutes, If they didn't know what it meant or signified, then the discussion became about unanswered mysteries and if they should have been answered, LOL! what is it have to do with the ending?
    The 'Answers' problem is a different topic, It's a problem of the entire season not just the finale or an ending.

Megaman200798

[28]May 24, 2010

no80s wrote:
    Thank you all for you inputs, But you gone way off the topic, I made this thread to help the fans who were confused by the last 5 minutes, If they didn't know what it meant or signified, then the discussion became about unanswered mysteries and if they should have been answered, LOL! what is it have to do with the ending? The 'Answers' problem is a different topic, It's a problem of the entire season not just the finale or an ending.

I don't think most people were confused with the ending, just disappointed with it.

lost_junkie

[29]May 24, 2010
    HolyPenguin wrote:
    Whoever died - died...

Except Sayid, of course.

cowboy2831

[30]May 24, 2010
    • level: 16

kimchisucks wrote:

It was a show about mysteries. I wanted some answers. We got NONE. They went for the cheap out. Yes, the flash backs when people found each other was nice, but it didn't give closure to 7 years of questions...I bet 100 bux the writers don't even have a clue on those answers.

7 years...did I miss a season?Surprised

brookeishot

[31]May 24, 2010
    People like Micheal, Walt, Rosseau (sp?), and many other weren't there because their time on the island wasn't their happiest time in life. the whole Flash Sideways was some kind of limbo. The church was a place created by those people who's happiest times were together on the island so that they could move on to another life together.

Personally, I loved the finale. To me, LOST has always been about the characters first and foremost. The mysteries were fun and interesting and extremely confusing, and sure I wish more of them had been answered, but thats never what is been about. Its been about the people. Its been about Jack, Locke, Sawyer, Kate, Hurley, and so many others.

To me, the End was as perfect as it could be. Let's be honest, to answer all the questions, it would've taken the full 2 and a half hours just to try and attempt it and the story would've gone nowhere. For example, maybe Ben spends five or ten minutes explaining why Walt is special. At this point though, how does it help anything? Walt hasn't been a major part of the show since what season 2, with like 1 appearence since then? Why bother?

NinoPasic

[32]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2

JJ is dead to me, the ending was crap!

MichaelMorten

[33]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2
    When JJ ended ALIAS it was to hurry of and ending, and you was with the feeling: "crap!"; apparently he repeats this pattern in LOST, which is not surprising, but just plain sad!

ClareRoden

[34]May 24, 2010
    • level: 1

i just dont understand one thing, if some of them left the island which was supposed to have reallyhappened how is it that they went sideways to limbo and supposedly dead and then were able to return to the island still alive to look for those that had been left behind? im confused????

Catch2wenty2

[35]May 24, 2010
    MichaelZeiger wrote:

The creators said it many times.. there is no book of answers to life, you don't get to know everything. The fact that some things remain a mystery is part of the greatness of the show, it will keep people talking about it long after it is gone.

I thought it was a beautiful and fitting end to the show. For some it may have been about the mysteries but for the people creating the show it was about the characters and how they grew as people in a world filled with these mysteries.

A lot of people seem to be very ungrateful about what they got to experience. A show like this doesn't get to be on network television often. So what if it didn't wrap up everything in a neat little ball for you? So what if you can't explain everything.. that is life, and that is how it works. You don't have answers for everything you have seen, heard, or done. When you eventually pass on there will be a lot of questions left unanswered in your life to.

Asking for answers to everything is, honestly, a little silly. All the answers would lead to more questions and the show would have run way past it's expiry date. It was a perfect ending for the show, it expressed the main themes of the show and wrapped them up nicely. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Well said.

bigo93

[36]May 24, 2010

Well this isnt a book on life, it was a TV show, a show in which one expect most of the mysteries to be answered in some way or form, this basically did nothing, in fact if you ask me it was a rush to finish it off!

Why do I say it was a rush, well first of all the limbo land reality first started off as being the reality after which they set off the bomb, implying they do something in this reality to get to the one where they think the explosion didnt work.

Why did Jack has a son in limbo? And what happened to the bit about Desmond being Daniel's anchor?

It just looks like they changed the script to make a shoddy ending!

.....Heh, I guess as always there are the usual 2 sides to this argument, those who are happy to believe, and those who want to understand. Those who believe are happy to live on not caring why things are, and those who strive to find and want answers. Religion vs science basically. I not hate Lost

Edited on 05/24/2010 3:57pm

Megaman200798

[37]May 24, 2010

bigo93 wrote:

Well this isnt a book on life, it was a TV show, a show in which one expect most of the mysteries to be answered in some way or form, this basically did nothing, in fact if you ask me it was a rush to finish it off!

Why do I say it was a rush, well first of all the limbo land reality first started off as being the reality after which they set off the bomb, implying they do something in this reality to get to the one where they think the explosion didnt work.

Why did Jack has a son in limbo? And what happened to the bit about Desmond being Daniel's anchor?

It just looks like they changed the script to make a shoddy ending!

.....Heh, I guess as always there are the usual 2 sides to this argument, those who are happy to believe, and those who want to understand. Those who believe are happy to live on not caring why things are, and those who strive to find and want answers. Religion vs science basically. I not hate Lost

I agree. The whole sideways purgatory doesnt make sense. Think about it. Sayid with Shannon and not Nadia wth??? Juilet married Jack had a son after they died wth.

rflem16

[39]May 24, 2010
    ALL I have to say is WTF?????????

brookeishot

[40]May 24, 2010
    Here's my take on limbo in LOST: Everyone goes there. All the people who have ever stepped on the island as well as those that haven't. Its a place where those who have yet to "move on", as it was put, go. The whole reason for showing this limbo and the characters in it was to show that despite most of them dying on or because of the island, they were all broken and/or flawed to begin with and it was only once they were on this island with these people that they became whole. This was the happiest time of their lives despite all of the trials and tribulations that came with it.

So the reason for the whole Church scene, was to show just how close these people were and how much they had grown to care for each other. They couldn't move on until they were all together.

As for Jack having a kid and other things that were different, the things that were in limbo, weren't. As Jack said, "What happened, happened." He was talking about the island. What happened in limbo, didn't. It was what the characters wanted. In Jack's limbo, Jack wanted a son, prolly to help make up for his poor relationship with his father. Therefore he had a son.