Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

The entire point of the ending was.....

roman200

[41]May 24, 2010
    • level: 3

schlacko wrote:

tv_worm wrote:

- what do pregnant women have to do with the island and why can't people give birth?

- why was Jacob's mom on the island and if that continues does anyone know who the first protector was?

- did the numbers cause Hurley's bad luck or did Hurley have bad luck to begin with and the numbers was just providing him with a purpose to get through the bad phase and make his way to the island (and take up his destiny as Jacob!)

thats just three questions I can think of right away, I am sure someone else will think of like 10 more questions to add to it.

'Every question I answer will lead to another question.'

I think that may have been their way of telling you they're not going to answer every little insignificant question you can come up with.

You are absolutely right. But it still doesn't make any sense that Walt and his dad seemed to eventually be insignificant to the show.

And as I said before they are not even in the cast credits on tv.com.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

myralee_8

[42]May 24, 2010
    • level: 9

poulters wrote:

Like many I was disappointed with so many unanswered questions and why did some make it to the end and others didn't my unanswered questions are

why wasn't jin and sun baby at the end, when claire's baby was?

What happened to Walt and his father(michael), Miles, Eloise, Richard, Charles Widmore, Ana Lucia Cortez, Alex Rousseau, Jacob, Danielle Rousseau if everyone who met at th end was dead and heading for heaven why weren't these people there

What was the DHARMA project and what was its purpose

How did everyone get to the "sideways" reality where thy didn't remember the island and why was it Hurley andDesmond who "woke" them up

Jin and Sun's baby was there. Sun was pregnant in the church.

Michael, who appeared to Hurley on the Island and clearly explained that he was there because he was unable to move on, was unable to move on. Miles, Eloise, Charlotte, and Daniel weren't there because they weren't as invested as everyone else; and they weren't "ready," just as Ana Lucia wasn't "ready" according to Desmond. Richard had almost nothing to do with the Oceanic folks. He probably moved on with his long-dead wife, just as Rousseau and Alex probably moved on together. Jacob had moved on when the fire went out on the Island, as he said he would.

The Dharma initiative was on the Island attempting to harness the "special electromagnetic properties" of the Island.

They got to the sideways reality because they died; it was like a meeting place. Hurley and Demond were the first to realize where they were.

These aren't even questions because they were clearly addressed in the show.

MightyElroy

[43]May 24, 2010
    • level: 9

OK, for some (only some) of the mentioned unanswered questions, there were answers. You just have to remember them from other episodes.

1. Where was Michael? Well, Michael himself told Hugo that he was one of the spirits who could not move on, and that left hin on the island whispering.

2. Why were Daniel, Anna Lucia, Mr. Ecko, etc. not in the final scene? In the 2nd last episode when Hugo is getting Sayid and and kate from the prison vehicle (of which anna Lucia took a bribe to let them off of), Desmond said that she wasn't ready to move on yet. That could easily explain many of the missing characters in the final church scene.

3. What about Jin and Sun's daughter? She was there, just not "born" yet. Mind you, it still does not answer the idea that Aaron was "born" in limbo, but you can get your answer there.

4. Why wasn't Daniel Faraday/Widmore there? Well, Desmond told his mother that he would not be going yet. Likely he will wait for Miles, Frank, Charolette, and maybe other frieghter crew to join him. He was much closer to them the Oceanic 815ers.

Now, in all fairness, I fall into the camp of those who loved the ending. Would it have been better to have Walt and Anna Lucia and Eko there, as well as more of the freighter people? Yes.Would ithave been nice to have more of the mysteries solved for us? Yes. I do offer this for those who wanted more mysteries solved: Lost was about mysteries, and if all of thequestions are answered, it loses some of its mystery. They answered alot, like the origin of the smoke monster, Adam and Eve skeletons, Jacob's and Richard's origins, but they needed to leave some mystery for us to chew on for a bit longer. I look forward to the debates continuing for a time. It allows me a chance to stay close to an excellent show for just a bit longer before I can finally let go.

jacknife2010

[44]May 24, 2010
    • level: 6

Good choice focusing on characters to tie it better with season 1 but i reaaallly wish they talked more about mythology of island...Ancient Egypt who was Jacobs mom? how did real mom appear to MIB (was she a trapped ghost on island like Michael later became)? what was MIB's name? who appointed foster mom guardian of island? was she forced to do it (like a human sacrifice)? where did light come from? was it created by Egyptian gods? pharoahs? was island the origin of Pandora's box myth? (a little bit of light lies within all of us...just like Pandora keeping hope in box after releasing darkness despair suffering (smoke monster?) what were all the skeletons in the cavern of light? former smoke monsters? evil men who tried to steal light? was Widmore trying to steal light?)

Birth Question

I think some of the questions ppl are asking were in fact answered. For example the not being able to have babies thing...i think it's because they blew up the nuclear bomb!!! maybe the low level radiation from the blast over time affects the fetus so the islands healing properties causes the immunity system of pregnant woman to attack the radiation infected fetus and cause both them and their mother to die from all the internal bleeding. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE OR AM I WAY OFF?

Walt

Why Walt was special? Not very important to me...but it could be because Michael was a candidate and when he killed Libby and Anna Lucia (who also might have been candidates) got his name crossed off the list...Also we know now that MIB was impersonating Walt when seeing him caused Shannon (a candidate too?) to get shot by Anna Lucia by accident. I think what we can take from season 6 is that the smoke monster cannot kill a candidate someone else has to do that. Maybe Ben at one pointwas a candidate before he was a corrupt evil leader (evidence MIB visited him as his mom when he was a kid). What he and Richard thought was Jacob communicating to him was probably MIB.

Walt Conclusion

You take away the Walt sightings by Shanon and Saeed (now we know it was really MIB) nothing very special about him other than fact island may have communicated to him through dreams (probably a candidate. and his name got crossed off when he got a new life with his grandma and wasn't lost anymore or angry over his mom's death and foster dad dumping him...Jacob only took ppl who were lost and didn't have happy lives)

QUESTION I REALLY WANTED ANSWERED WAS LIBBY!!! WHY WAS SHE IN ASYLUM? WHY DID SHE GIVE DESMOND HER BOAT??

THEY ONLY SAID HOW MANY REMAINING CANDIDATES WERE LEFT NOT HOW MANY WERE ORIGINALLY ON OCEANIC 815!!

I KNOW THAT DESMOND THOUGHT HE COULD REWRITE THINGS IN ALT REALITY AND MOVE THERE AND JACK KNEW IT WASN'T POSSIBLE CAUSE HE ALREADY TRIED THAT...BUT WASN'T ALT REALITY CREATED BY DANIEL'S/JACK'S PLAN TO BLOW UP BOMB? SIDEFLASH WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ALT TIMELINE NOT PURGATORY TOTAL PLOT HOLE!!! OTHERWISE WE WEREN'T SEEING WHERE DESMOND KEPT JUMPING TO...HE WASN'T JUMPING BACK AND FORTH TO THE AFTERLIFE?!! THAT WOULD BE LAME!!! WHAT I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SEE IS ALT TIMELINE WORKING TOWARDS SOMETHING MAYBE AN ALT TIMELINE LOCKE WHO NOW WALKS AND HAS HIS MEMORIES SAVING JACK FROM FAKE LOCKE KILLING HIS IMPOSTER FOR TRYING TO TAKE AWAY HIS DESTINY OR TELL HIM WHAT HE CAN'T DO (COME BACK ALIVE..WHAT HAPPENED HAPPENED) AND THEN LOCKE COULD TAKE OVER AS ISLANDS GUARDIAN...I MEAN WHO DESERVES IT MORE THAN LOCKE FROM DAY ONE!!!!

Megaman200798

[45]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13

MightyElroy wrote:

Now, in all fairness, I fall into the camp of those who loved the ending. Would it have been better to have Walt and Anna Lucia and Eko there, as well as more of the freighter people? Yes.Would ithave been nice to have more of the mysteries solved for us? Yes. I do offer this for those who wanted more mysteries solved: Lost was about mysteries, and if all of thequestions are answered, it loses some of its mystery. They answered alot, like the origin of the smoke monster, Adam and Eve skeletons, Jacob's and Richard's origins, but they needed to leave some mystery for us to chew on for a bit longer. I look forward to the debates continuing for a time. It allows me a chance to stay close to an excellent show for just a bit longer before I can finally let go.

I'm pretty sure if the writers had answers they wouldn't be keeping it to themselves. I doubt they would want a pissed off fan based as the last reminder of the series.

dmzavatar

[46]May 24, 2010
    • level: 1

The ending, in fact the entire last season (6) is a poor rip off of the amazing movie Jacobs Ladder.

It's not like no one else is allowed to touch on the limbo / afterlife / redemption / (self)forgiveness / (self) awareness themes

but once it was clear this was how it was going to end the delivery was too cheesy. The final part was just a wrap party in a church.

Overall Lost is still one of the best shows to make it to a propper finale, well done.

dashx2525

[47]May 24, 2010
    • level: 8

jacknife2010 wrote:

Also we know now that MIB was impersonating Walt when seeing him caused Shannon (a candidate too?) to get shot by Anna Lucia by accident.

Did MIB say he was impersonating Walt in the show? I honestly can't remember. I thought MIB could only take the form of dead people

KingofIPirates

[48]May 24, 2010
    • level: 32
    dashx2525 wrote:
    Did MIB say he was impersonating Walt in the show? I honestly can't remember. I thought MIB could only take the form of dead people
    No he never said this and yes he can only take the form of the dead.

sawyer369

[49]May 24, 2010

Please explain to me why so many of you are angry or annoyed or disappointed by the fact that certain questions werent answered. And the ridiculous thing is. . .all of your "unanswered" questions were answered!! Babies could not be conceived on the island because of the electromagnetism that was DIRECTLY BENEATH THEM. Michael wasnt in the final scene because all the lost-aways were ready to move on and he was not allowed to; WHICH HE EXPLAINED DIRECTLY TO HURLEY.

Im finding that the people who have problems with the finale and things being unanswered, have problems with trivial and useless and unnecessary things not being addressed. And if you want to get hung up on the un-important things, instead of focusing on the main plotlines, then you are ignoring what was a great show and experience.

LOST was about faith versus science, good versus evil, and fate versus free will. And all of those dilemmas were played out and left to the viewer to decide what they believed and believed in. LOST was about people being lost in life, and their search and discovery for meaning in their lives. And all of these angles and plots were very well addressed.

Everything IMPORTANT was addressed and answered. Its too bad some people cant get over the little things.

KingofIPirates

[50]May 24, 2010
    • level: 32
    sawyer369 wrote:
    Please explain to me why so many of you are angry or annoyed or disappointed by the fact that certain questions werent answered. And the ridiculous thing is. . .all of your "unanswered" questions were answered!!
    When exactly?

sawyer369 wrote:
    babies could not be conceived on the island because of the electromagnetism that was DIRECTLY BENEATH THEM.
    The electromagnetism was beneath them for thousands of years before the incident yet they had no problem conceiving.
    sawyer369 wrote:
    Im finding that the people who have problems with the finale and things being unanswered, have problems with trivial and useless and unnecessary things not being addressed. And if you want to get hung up on the un-important things, instead of focusing on the main plotlines, then you are ignoring what was a great show and experience.
    So now the mysteries that were made relevant to the plot are no longer important? They are just as much a part of the story as are the characters and failing to even address them is sloppy.

sawyer369 wrote:
    Everything IMPORTANT was addressed and answered. Its too bad some people cant get over the little things.
    If these 'little things' weren't so important why bother even bringing them up and pay such special attention to them.
    Edited on 05/24/2010 11:19pm
    Edited 2 total times.

alex_budo_86

[51]May 24, 2010
    • level: 3

sawyer369 wrote:

Please explain to me why so many of you are angry or annoyed or disappointed by the fact that certain questions werent answered. And the ridiculous thing is. . .all of your "unanswered" questions were answered!! Babies could not be conceived on the island because of the electromagnetism that was DIRECTLY BENEATH THEM. Michael wasnt in the final scene because all the lost-aways were ready to move on and he was not allowed to; WHICH HE EXPLAINED DIRECTLY TO HURLEY.

LOST was about faith versus science, good versus evil, and fate versus free will. And all of those dilemmas were played out and left to the viewer to decide what they believed and believed in. LOST was about people being lost in life, and their search and discovery for meaning in their lives. And all of these angles and plots were very well addressed.

Well said my friend! I admit that I would like some more answers, like the purpose of the temple, who was dogen, and the rest of the "guardians", what happened with sayid after his "first death" in the temple, and claire...were they "infected"?

But you know what? What a great journey this 6 years were!

Lost Finale - 8/10
    Lost (all 6 seasons) - 9/10

Megaman200798

[52]May 24, 2010

sawyer369 wrote:

The ending was cheesy and predictable. They spent season six explaining SQUAT.

hamavic

[53]May 24, 2010
    Im abit lost here and i admit that the ending in the sideflash of things was gud but the island and mysteries side of thing were never answered please help understand so i can let go
    What was the island? A place to keep evil from escaping? So are everyone on the island dead, plane crash = dead? those people couldn't be dead on the island after the plane crash cos people were dying for fun lock/smoky killing em n so on.
    And why is every saying that the series was about the characters and the mysteries were secondary so they don't need answering. Thats just crazy
    My biggest problem with the writers is how is in 6 season they didn't want to put the mysteries to bed its not like they didn't know that this was its last season.
    For me wit that ending it went from the best series to a gud one it feels like it was cancelled.

porky826

[54]May 25, 2010
    • level: 4
    Regarding Eko.

He was asked to be apart of the finale. He wanted like five times the pay of everyone else that was coming back for it and they said no. Sometimes you have to remember it's a TV show and also a business.

Megaman200798

[55]May 25, 2010

porky826 wrote:
    Regarding Eko. He was asked to be apart of the finale. He wanted like five times the pay of everyone else that was coming back for it and they said no. Sometimes you have to remember it's a TV show and also a business.

I doubt that was the case for a character who barely made it 1 season

DarenWheeler

[56]May 25, 2010
    • level: 7

brookeishot wrote:
    Here's my take on limbo in LOST: Everyone goes there. All the people who have ever stepped on the island as well as those that haven't. Its a place where those who have yet to "move on", as it was put, go. The whole reason for showing this limbo and the characters in it was to show that despite most of them dying on or because of the island, they were all broken and/or flawed to begin with and it was only once they were on this island with these people that they became whole. This was the happiest time of their lives despite all of the trials and tribulations that came with it. So the reason for the whole Church scene, was to show just how close these people were and how much they had grown to care for each other. They couldn't move on until they were all together. As for Jack having a kid and other things that were different, the things that were in limbo, weren't. As Jack said, "What happened, happened." He was talking about the island. What happened in limbo, didn't. It was what the characters wanted. In Jack's limbo, Jack wanted a son, prolly to help make up for his poor relationship with his father. Therefore he had a son.
    Hold on, so Jack wanted a son and so he got one. So Sayid wanted to be a murderous thug and Sawyer wanted to be a cop?? No..... This limbo/purgatory stuff is just nonsense. There are two time lines, the last few episodes in the alternate timeline show the main characters remembering their time on the island and their alternative life there. It's not purgatory or limbo, it's just an alternative time line. The main problem I have with the finale is that the alternative timeline is tied up beautifully but the island timeline is an absolute nightmare. Ok Sawyer and Kate get off the island but with the mopey pilot, dull boring Claire and odd psychic guy. Ben survives with Hurley doing some guardian role and everyone else dies? It's all just complete and utter rubbish for the island folk. I'd much rather everyone dies in the island timeline and everyone gets the happy ending in the alternate timeline rather than this limp wristed damp fizzle of an ending for island half of the show...

tv_worm

[57]May 25, 2010
    • level: 12

Since I was one of the people to start the argument on this topic I want to make my point a little clearer:

I must say I loved the ending of the show as a conclusion to the stories of MAJORITY of the characters on this show. In retrospect however, the show did not wrap things up completely and those that blamed the show in early season 6 saying that they are leaving too many things unanswered till the end, were in fact right (and I was firmly against these people all the way through, put my faith in the writers). I don't want every single thing in Lost to be solved, that will be boring, I could do without knowing what the island was and who the first mother was and why there were egyptian statues all over the island. However, what i disliked is that Lost brought the correct people together like in the scene where Jacob talks to the candidates and that scene got over too fast. What was the use of having Jacob put his ashes into the fire? His entire plan, knowledge and everything he knows about the island and his brother could and should have been revealed to his successor and in doing so the viewers. All the writers had to do was increase the length of that episode and crucial scenes like taht and the Locke-Sawyer in a cave scene to elaborate on certain mysteries. When Ben joined the "good" side then why didn't Hurley ask him about Walt? When Richard joined the good side then why were the nature of his powers not elaborated upon?

While I will enjoy watching this show over and over again and nothing will change that. It was my favorite show ever and will always remain that way but the fact of the matter is that as a production team, they goofed in getting the right people together at the right time and CHOOSING not to give answers to certain questions. All they needed to do was increase the time for those scenes and if that goes over the 41 minute episode limit then make an additional episode before the finale. All through the season, I don't know about the people who liked the finale, but I was definitely loving the episodes and even the lack of answers saying that they still have time to wrap it up. Only now after the finale can I say that they didn't wrap things up and so while I am criticizing the end, my criticism is aimed more towards the last season as a whole. The exact same story and script needed to be in front of them then go to a website which has a list of unanswered questions (or forum) and just include it into scenes already present in the story. They ALREADY had the openings to do just that but chose to avoid it. Instead they killed Widmore before he could say anything, limited Jacob's time with the candidates, restricted Smocke's cave scene and ignored the fact that Ben and Richard could give a lot of information to the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815.

anfskinny

[58]May 25, 2010
    All i want to say is why ask all these questions about the island if they don't want to answer them? I hate shows that take the "easy" way out. Do whatever you want and then say it was all a dream or they were all dead so it doesn't matter. Another season or a couple of movies are needed to answer the "Island" questions that they thought so important in the first 5 seasons.

InvasionFanbOy

[59]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8

Megaman200798 wrote:

sawyer369 wrote:

Well said and explained!

ssa2204

[60]May 25, 2010
    • level: 6

:

All they have to do is give some tear jerker sappy ending, and the shippers and soap opera lovers will be satisfied. Except was this nothing more than a soap opera? That is why people watched? WTF.

Let's face the facts. ABC, the producers and writers, and just about everyone built this show up over the years centering completely on the big mystery aspect. It was never about the characters or their sappy love interests, this was merely a side distraction....that is until the end when the writers simply had no clue how to tie everything together. They failed, just as equally as those talentless hacks who wrote BSG failed. The end or conclusion to any story is equally if not more important in a story than the introduction, and it does take talent to write. Whether it is Shakespeare or The Shield, the ending is what will define the story.

They did not just spend six years explaining squat, then spent six years building this story up only to tell us that these six years were completely pointless to the story. Really, what was the point of the whole ending in relevance to the Island (not just island)? There was no point, they could have used this same ending had they put this characters in a small town in Nebraska.

Edited on 05/25/2010 4:47am