Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

The "Gay" Character

123home123

[21]Jan 2, 2006
    • level: 55
    Making Jack gay would be a huge mistake. It would really detract from the main focus of the show. If anyone were gay, I would have thought it would be Boone. I know he had that crush on Shannon, but he really comes across as possibly gay. At least he did.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

animezing

[22]Jan 2, 2006
    • level: 4
    looking back at the first Jack-centric episode, White Rabit i think, Jack's mother said something about not saying I cant "after what you did" so maybe he and her had a big fight that upset her so much that she ent out drinkig and got herself killed.

shawnlunn2002

[23]Jan 2, 2006
    • level: 41
    Why are people so up in arms over the idea of a gay character being on this show.

If you watched any of the documentaries for Lost (Lost Revealed on E4 for UK viewers), then it's been already stated that they are many people from different walks of life on that plane of 48 passengers and crew members. On the island with these 48 passengers and crew member and unseen other inhabitants. To assume that not one or maybe more people may not be gay or even bisexual is presumptious.

It's the year 2006 and the fact people may are unsettled by the idea of two members of the same gender being in an intimate and loving sexual relationship or a person attracted to the same sex is borderline ridiculous.

I would love to see a gay character on a show like Lost, mainly because it's something not many sci-fi/fantasy programmes do unless it's for cheap titulation but this show is so much better than that. Also why would the people's sexual orientation have to be primary to what the said contributes to the island, the plots and the other characters around him and her.

For all those against having a gay/bisexual character on this show, you are the ones who need the reality check, not the writers. Also until J.J and company state that one of the people we've already met or are set to meet in subsequent episodes/seasons is gay or bisexual, this debate seems pointless.

As for Jack being gay - Highly doubt it. He's hot for kate but i'd rather her with Sawyer and him with Ana Lucia for the time being.

animezing

[24]Jan 2, 2006
    why do we need a gay character on the show? This is not a soap opera. It is a freaking mystery show. Desperate Housewives is one thing, but why do we need to add such a contraersial element to the show? Diversity is already shown but not many people are offended by an Australian girl or an English dude. But a gay character will push people away. There are pleanty of people who want to watch lost or who are feelng guilty about watching it and a gay character will push them away. This show does not need any contraversial issues. Its a simple mystery and I will be upset if they add that to the show because this is a mystery, not a soap opera.

lilsquaredude12

[25]Jan 2, 2006
    • level: 8
    animezing wrote:
    looking back at the first Jack-centric episode, White Rabit i think, Jack's mother said something about not saying I cant "after what you did" so maybe he and her had a big fight that upset her so much that she ent out drinkig and got herself killed.

I'm pretty sure "after what you did" was referring to Jack selling his dad out and getting him fired. I don't think it had anything to do with his wife.

animezing

[26]Jan 2, 2006
    your probably right. I wonder what happened to her.

kaedahewson

[27]Jan 2, 2006
    does it really matter if any of the charcters are gay?

If they decided that one of the main characters that they have established as straight was gay or a lesbian it would be the day the show gets on a jet-ski and tries to leap over jaws - fair enough if they bring in one of the other survivors and revealed that they were gay then again if they did that as a shock ending it would make me reach for the remote and hit the off button because it would prove that they had run out of ideas.

MrBIonde

[28]Jan 3, 2006
    Why do people keep using words like "contraersial (sic)?"

I'm sorry but last time I checked it was just New Year's Day 2006. Since when does anyone give a flying f**k if someone is gay?

kaedahewson

[29]Jan 3, 2006
    i agree Mr Blonde this shouldn't even be an issue let alone described as "contraversial"

animezing

[30]Jan 3, 2006
    um, maybe you dont think it is but some people do. So since more people than you think are not supporters of hmosexuality, I think that it has no place on LOST. I dont know why you even need to add it. LOST is perfectly fine without it and you know darn well that homosexuality will keep religious people from watching this. So the more people watch tis, the higher the ratings will be. So there really is no need for this. Lets just drop the issue.

shawnlunn2002

[31]Jan 3, 2006
    • level: 41
    [This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]

Debating_Diva

[32]Jan 3, 2006
    • level: 6
    fakecopbiatch wrote:
    I think that if their actually is gonna be a gay character, which I haven't heard about lateley but whatever, it could be Jack.

As much as id love it if he were, i higly doubt it.

And animezing, a gay charactor wouldnt drive veiwers away. Were veiwers driven away when two homosexual (well one bisexual, but not the point) charactors were reveiled, no. Last time i checked they were getting 24 million veiwers

animezing

[33]Jan 3, 2006
    what show are you talking about? and just beause you wouldnt stop watching doesnt mean others wouldnt. We dont want homosexuality shoved down our throughts. If you are so in need of it, watch desperate housewives. I can tolerate it on that show but LOST is a show that would be totally ruined by homosexuality. Some people find gay behavior to be sickening. So why drive them away? If you want to be gay, thats fine but keep it off LOST. LOST can appeal to all people but not if they make homosexuality an issue. Why cant we have clean television?

TheDiamondDog

[34]Jan 3, 2006
    • level: 61
    I actually do think a gay character might drive characters away cause some people ain't ready for that.

animezing

[35]Jan 3, 2006
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    I actually do think a gay character might drive characters away cause some people ain't ready for that.

plus, there are religious people who watch LOST who would rather that the gay stuff and sexual stuff altogether would be kept out. Some peole are so perverted that they need sexuality 24/7. And for those who watch LOST for the mystery, we shoul respect them and leave the gay stuff out of it.

TheDiamondDog

[36]Jan 3, 2006
    • level: 61
    Exactly. Some people just couldn't handle it. We are more modern, but not all people are open minded.

animezing

[37]Jan 3, 2006
    not that but some people just want to enjoy the mystery. And since LOST is a huge success wthout having someone gay, why add it?

Debating_Diva

[38]Jan 3, 2006
    animezing wrote:
    what show are you talking about? and just beause you wouldnt stop watching doesnt mean others wouldnt. We dont want homosexuality shoved down our throughts. If you are so in need of it, watch desperate housewives. I can tolerate it on that show but LOST is a show that would be totally ruined by homosexuality. Some people find gay behavior to be sickening. So why drive them away? If you want to be gay, thats fine but keep it off LOST. LOST can appeal to all people but not if they make homosexuality an issue. Why cant we have clean television?

sorry i thought i said the show, stupid me.

"Were veiwers driven away when two homosexual (well one bisexual, but not the point) charactors were reveiled on desperate housewives, no. Last time i checked they were getting 24 million veiwers"

It would hardly be shoved down your throghts. 45 people on the island, it is rediculous to beleive not one of them is gay or bisexual when 10% of the population is (Kinsey Report).

Some people might find it discusting, but so what. People need to be desensitised to homosexual behaviour in order to start accepting it as a part of modern sociaty.

I still dont see how it would be ruined, if it was a major storyline then maybe, but if it was just a background plot then there is no deal. It will ruin it if the writers make it a big deal.

Debating_Diva

[39]Jan 3, 2006
    animezing wrote:
    not that but some people just want to enjoy the mystery. And since LOST is a huge success wthout having someone gay, why add it?

Lost was a huge sucess before adding the tailend passingers, it doesnt mean that they shouldnt of been added does it?

animezing

[40]Jan 3, 2006
    Well the tail characters arnt really contraversal? And this si ery diferent from Desperate Housewives. One expects that on that show but this is about the mystery. And if 10% of the population is gay, than that is very scary. But why must it be added. People will stop watching. This thread should be deleted as it has outlived its usefullness. Why cant we simply enjoy the mystery of LOST?