Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

The H-bomb. Did it work or not?

kidcapri73

[1]May 26, 2010
    • level: 3

It seems forgotten in the euphoria of the ending, but did the H-bomb do anything at all? Miles got the message from Juliette that "it worked" and we were led to believe that the bomb created the alternate timeline we were watching with the plane landing safely. The finale tells us that the alternate universe was not a result of the bomb at all and wasn't an alternate timeline anyway, just transition within the afterlife.

At the moment we thought the bomb exploded there was a simultaneous time shift that transported everyone 30 years later which is fine, but why wasn't Juliette also transported? She was still alive. Her broken but still breathing body should have been at the bottom of the pit where the hatch was. If you conclude she died because of the explosion, then everyone should have died. And since the alternate world wasn't created by the explosion, then there probably wasn't an explosion at all. That would be the only explanation because if the bomb went off there would have been a huge crater at that spot after they flashed forward because there really weren't 2 timelines after all, just 1 timeline with a lot of moving around.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

chameleonic1

[2]May 26, 2010
    • level: 13
    It is just one of the MANY things the writers chose to ignore because they stuffed up and didnt know how to write it into the story...

lostlikeyou2

[3]May 26, 2010
    Read this on aonther message board, this should explain it.

Juliet's "It worked"...what Miles got from her after she had died. It wasn't the bomb that "worked." It was Sawyer unplugging the vending machine. The candy bar dropped down, she handed it to him, and said, "It worked."

SnarkBC

[4]May 26, 2010
    • level: 8

It worked, but by worked I mean it returned the Losties to their present timeline on the island. The bomb did not reset anything, or create any alternate timlines. This kind of stuff is a large part of what I hate about the last two seasons of Lost. The H bomb returns them to their original timeline, but they don't for a second give any kind of explanation for why that would work that way. They just do it, and move on. They do that about ten or fifteen times, just go with it I guess.

OOsteb

[5]May 26, 2010
    • level: 5

kidcapri73 wrote:

It seems forgotten in the euphoria of the ending, but did the H-bomb do anything at all? Miles got the message from Juliette that "it worked" and we were led to believe that the bomb created the alternate timeline we were watching with the plane landing safely. The finale tells us that the alternate universe was not a result of the bomb at all and wasn't an alternate timeline anyway, just transition within the afterlife.

At the moment we thought the bomb exploded there was a simultaneous time shift that transported everyone 30 years later which is fine, but why wasn't Juliette also transported? She was still alive. Her broken but still breathing body should have been at the bottom of the pit where the hatch was. If you conclude she died because of the explosion, then everyone should have died. And since the alternate world wasn't created by the explosion, then there probably wasn't an explosion at all. That would be the only explanation because if the bomb went off there would have been a huge crater at that spot after they flashed forward because there really weren't 2 timelines after all, just 1 timeline with a lot of moving around.

It was there own story that said the bomb created an aLt time line. Present day was 2007 on the Island and the Alt time was 2004 when the plane landed with out crashing. Faraday (widmore) explained it. He knew something wasn't right with his life.

I have a question, Why was everyone else's life basically the same except Faradays ? Kate was still running, /jack a surgeon, Sawyer still looking for the Con man, Juliet a doctor & so on & so on

cindycee

[7]May 26, 2010
    i think the bomb propelled them forward in time, and i think it must have had something to do with 'creating' this waiting area they were all in in the sideways flash, coz christian was pretty insistent that they created that place for them to all meet, so this was the only big thing that they seemed to do that may have created it.

KingofIPirates

[8]May 26, 2010
    • level: 32
    H-Bomb's can't do that, it was the eerie light that did all that and returned them to their own time as it was the light in the first place that got them in the 70's and the light is the only energy source that has demonstrated time travel.
    cindycee wrote:
    and i think it must have had something to do with 'creating' this waiting area they were all in in the sideways flash, coz christian was pretty insistent that they created that place for them to all meet, so this was the only big thing that they seemed to do that may have created it.
    How exactly does an H-Bomb create an afterlife? Specifically with the stipulations being that they're eventually going to meet up again, hug and move on. It's more likely(while still seemingly ridiculous) that when you die you gain magical abilities that allows you to create a form of purgatory
    Edited on 05/26/2010 11:19am

OOsteb

[9]May 26, 2010
    • level: 5

When and how did they decide to " Create " the Alt world ? I don't recall any thing to remotely suggest they did that and say wait for me here, in this place.

KingofIPirates

[10]May 26, 2010
    • level: 32
    OOsteb wrote:
    When
    When they died
    OOsteb wrote:
    and how did they decide to " Create " the Alt world ? I don't recall any thing to remotely suggest they did that and say wait for me here, in this place.
    As to how? What Lost is basically insinuating is that you basically have some magical ability when you die, that conveniently causes you to forget all while creating a world similar to your own where some of your dreams will come truuuueeee...
    Edited on 05/26/2010 11:23am

HOOKEDONLOST

[11]May 26, 2010

It did not go off. It was the magnetic event that sent them back to 2007. If the nuke had gone they all would have died. Only Juliet died at the time due to her injuries. The DI then built the hatch to cover the area.

kidcapri73

[12]May 26, 2010

[/QUOTE] It was there own story that said the bomb created an aLt time line. Present day was 2007 on the Island and the Alt time was 2004 when the plane landed with out crashing. Faraday (widmore) explained it. He knew something wasn't right with his life.[/QUOTE]

The "Alt" time line in 2004 wasn't a timeline at all, it was the afterlife. There was only 1 timeline, and characters were jumping back and forth in it, and we were seeing different times of the same timeline.

Faraday explained that something wasn't right with his life, but it really wasn't "his life", it was his being dead that he hadn't come to grips with yet. All of them sensed that something wasn't quite right up to the point of their remembrance of their "past" which included knowing that they were dead.

I think Desmond's ability to experience time travel was triggered when Widmore put him in the big electrical thing. I think Desmond actually experienced the whole afterlife thing while he was being shocked and knew his role in getting everyone together. That's why he was so peaceful afterward and said something like "i know why I'm here" or "I know what I have to do". Charlie crashing the car into the water and putting his hand on the window triggered the whole memory of Desmond previously experiencing it, then he knew exactly how to get everyone together.

kidcapri73

[13]May 26, 2010
    HOOKEDONLOST wrote:

It did not go off. It was the magnetic event that sent them back to 2007. If the nuke had gone they all would have died. Only Juliet died at the time due to her injuries. The DI then built the hatch to cover the area.

I agree the bomb didn't go off, but I think Juliet should have been transported to 2007 with the rest because she wasn't dead yet. As for Miles hearing "it worked", I would like to think she would be communicating something more important than being able to get a candy bar in the afterlife.

cowboy2831

[14]May 26, 2010
    • level: 16

kidcapri73 wrote:
    HOOKEDONLOST wrote:

I agree the bomb didn't go off, but I think Juliet should have been transported to 2007 with the rest because she wasn't dead yet. As for Miles hearing "it worked", I would like to think she would be communicating something more important than being able to get a candy bar in the afterlife.

As far as I could tell, she was transported to 2007 along with Kate, Jack, Sawyer, Hurley, Jin, Sayid, Miles, Rose, and Bernard (may have left someone out), and then she died. Sawyer and Miles buried her, then shortly after were both captured by the Others and taken to the Temple. That all occured in 2007.

kidcapri73

[15]May 26, 2010
    cowboy2831 wrote:

kidcapri73 wrote:
    HOOKEDONLOST wrote:

As far as I could tell, she was transported to 2007 along with Kate, Jack, Sawyer, Hurley, Jin, Sayid, Miles, Rose, and Bernard (may have left someone out), and then she died. Sawyer and Miles buried her, then shortly after were both captured by the Others and taken to the Temple. That all occured in 2007.

I certainly don't recall any acknowledgement of Juliet being with them when they transported. Just Sawyer being very angry with Jack about the whole plan that didn't work and resulted in Juliet's death. No body to bury.

Kevnay777

[16]May 26, 2010

The H-bomb did work but it also didn't, think about it whatever happened happened. They were always suppose to time travel and attempt to stop the incident which ironically was the incident. Juliet was always suppose to detonate the bomb. Since she did it blew up the hatch and sank the island. Since their wasn't an island, Desmond never shipwrecked on it, and the Losties never crashed. However since they never crashed they couldn't of time traveled to 1977 to detonate the bomb to prevent them from never being on the island, which actually meant everything reset so thats why they ended up in present time. Think about it like this if your confused. If you go back in time to kill your grandpa and succeeded that means that no grandpa=no dad=no you. But since you won't exist means that you can't go back in time to kill your grandpa in the first place, so everything canceled. As for the alt universe, it was still an alt universe. Just that the Losties never created it, it was always there. Their are theories that alternate universes exist, so their is always one you don't create one. The only thing that the Losties created was sort of their afterlife.

ajokurvanyad

[17]May 26, 2010
    • level: 4

kidcapri73 wrote:
    HOOKEDONLOST wrote:

if the bomb did not go off then what stopped the time-jumps?cuz if the bomb didn't trigger a last jump than that means the jumps triggered by ben with the big freakin wheel(how ridicolous is that)) were still going on.....and don't tell me because they were sent back to right year because time traveling sentient energy pockets DO NOT have calendars.i know that for a fact

kidcapri73

[18]May 26, 2010
    Kevnay777 wrote:

The H-bomb did work but it also didn't, think about it whatever happened happened. They were always suppose to time travel and attempt to stop the incident which ironically was the incident. Juliet was always suppose to detonate the bomb. Since she did it blew up the hatch and sank the island. Since their wasn't an island, Desmond never shipwrecked on it, and the Losties never crashed. However since they never crashed they couldn't of time traveled to 1977 to detonate the bomb to prevent them from never being on the island, which actually meant everything reset so thats why they ended up in present time. Think about it like this if your confused. If you go back in time to kill your grandpa and succeeded that means that no grandpa=no dad=no you. But since you won't exist means that you can't go back in time to kill your grandpa in the first place, so everything canceled. As for the alt universe, it was still an alt universe. Just that the Losties never created it, it was always there. Their are theories that alternate universes exist, so their is always one you don't create one. The only thing that the Losties created was sort of their afterlife.

The bomb didn't reset anything. They flashed forward back to 2007 must have happened coincidently. They certainly didn't need h-bombs going off for all the previous time travel flashes. The island was never sunk as a result of the bomb, that scene of the island being at the bottom of the ocean wasn't real, it was part of the afterlife world collectively created by all the losties--their way of dealing with the island in their post-life consciousness was to bury the island beneath the sea. The island didn't sink.

cowboy2831

[19]May 26, 2010
    • level: 16

kidcapri73 wrote:
    cowboy2831 wrote:

kidcapri73 wrote:
    HOOKEDONLOST wrote:

I certainly don't recall any acknowledgement of Juliet being with them when they transported. Just Sawyer being very angry with Jack about the whole plan that didn't work and resulted in Juliet's death. No body to bury.

Really? Did you watch LA X?

Kevnay777

[20]May 26, 2010

kidcapri73 wrote:
    Kevnay777 wrote:

The bomb didn't reset anything. They flashed forward back to 2007 must have happened coincidently. They certainly didn't need h-bombs going off for all the previous time travel flashes. The island was never sunk as a result of the bomb, that scene of the island being at the bottom of the ocean wasn't real, it was part of the afterlife world collectively created by all the losties--their way of dealing with the island in their post-life consciousness was to bury the island beneath the sea. The island didn't sink.

Ok I actually wasn't sure about the sinking of the island or not but my theory is correct. If they blew up the hatch which is the place Desmond was suppose to have not pressed the button resulting in the 815 crashing, then nothing will happen. They would have still kept going and landing in LAX. However in the timeline they were suppose to have went back to 1977 to do this but since they never crashed they couldn't have time traveled. Which is why they were transported back to the present time because all the events just sort of cancelled out.