Lost Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Theories for 3 major plotholes???

JonnyMcG

[1]May 27, 2010
    • level: 3

Does anybody have any theories forme on what i find to be 3 of the major plotholes in LOST?

1) Why do only certain characters get transported back to 1977 on the Ajira flight whereas Sun, Ben and Lapidus don't?

2) What is the 'loophole' found by MIB that allows him to finally kill Jacob?

3) How did Eko and Charlie survive the impolsion of the hatch at the end of Season 2? I'm assuming Desmond did becausehe had somesortof immunity to Electromagnetism

It is very frustating how the writer have left us to draw our own conclusions on things like this but the other parts they explained weren't exactly 'wow' moments. For example, the whispers!

What really annoyed me was at the start they used to walk for days to cross the island whereas by the season 6 finally they seemed to cross island quicker than i can move to the other side of my two bedroom flat!!

look forward to some responses

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Pb_BigFan

[2]May 27, 2010
    • level: 4
    1) I think that Jacob brought the candidates to 1977 to make them detonate the bomb

2) When Ben came to the Island with the Ajira plane he wanted to get judged by the Smokemonster and after the judgement MIB transformed to Alex and she told him that he had to do whatever Locke says (MIB) and at the time I think he was pretty freaked out, and when Flocke told Ben that he has to kill Jacob...Well there you go

3) How is this Major? This is Lost, where people has been brought back from the dead, people can hear and see dead people etc.

And lastly then...Remember that they extended the finale by half an hour which means that they have a lot of story to tell and things like that just gets cut out from tv-time

KingofIPirates

[3]May 27, 2010
    • level: 32
    Pb_BigFan wrote:

3) How is this Major? This is Lost, where people has been brought back from the dead, people can hear and see dead people etc.
    It's major because it brings up a critical juncture in a characters ability. Desmond has the ability to survive high levels of electromagnetism.. so what's Eko and Charlies deal?
    And nobody in Lost has been brought back to life from the dead.
    Edited on 05/27/2010 8:42am

osacattack

[4]May 27, 2010
    • level: 1
    1) Jack, Hurley, Kate and Sayid were reunited with Jin and Sawyer in 1977 because they were candidates, and this action brought all the final candidates together. Sun, Ben, and Frank, along with the other Ajira passengers remained in present day because they were not candidates.

2) The loophole was simply he could not kill his brother, so he needed someone ELSE to do it. Hence the 5 season long manipulation to put Locke in a position of power and then take his place.

3) I think Desmond turning the failsafe key and being at ground zero of the discharge is what MADE him special and made him immune to the islands electromagnetic energies. Maybe him absorbing the majority of the energy is what allowed Locke, Charlie and Eko to survive?

buildam2005

[5]May 27, 2010
    • level: 14
    [QUOTE="osacattack"]

2) The loophole was simply he could not kill his brother, so he needed someone ELSE to do it. Hence the 5 season long manipulation to put Locke in a position of power and then take his place.

QUOTE]

Except Locke didn't kill him--Ben did. I guess that was the loophole? That anyone else could kill him but his brother? Meh, whatever.

And I've never bought the "candidates" reason for those people on the flight getting sent to the 1970s. If that's the case, and if Kate stopped being a candidate when she became a mother, she should not have been able to go through time. It was simply an overlooked plot device to put them in the 1970s.

Pb_BigFan

[6]May 27, 2010
    • level: 4
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    Pb_BigFan wrote:

It's major because it brings up a critical juncture in a characters ability. Desmond has the ability to survive high levels of electromagnetism.. so what's Eko and Charlies deal?

So I guess Saiyd was just sleeping...?

KingofIPirates

[7]May 27, 2010
    Unconscious, he only appeared to die.

JonnyK68

[8]May 27, 2010
    • level: 2

[QUOTE="buildam2005"]

osacattack wrote:
    2) The loophole was simply he could not kill his brother, so he needed someone ELSE to do it. Hence the 5 season long manipulation to put Locke in a position of power and then take his place. QUOTE] Except Locke didn't kill him--Ben did. I guess that was the loophole? That anyone else could kill him but his brother? Meh, whatever. And I've never bought the "candidates" reason for those people on the flight getting sent to the 1970s. If that's the case, and if Kate stopped being a candidate when she became a mother, she should not have been able to go through time. It was simply an overlooked plot device to put them in the 1970s.

Jacob said that Kate was a candidate, just that she was a mother so hername wascrossed off. She needed protecting as much as the other candidates.

cindycee

[9]May 27, 2010
    • level: 8
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    Pb_BigFan wrote:

sayid?

cindycee

[10]May 27, 2010
    jacks a doctor, im sure he knows if sayid is dead or not before he performs cpr. also he was lying there not breathing for a time so he had to be dead.

on another note, i think that sun being dropped into 2008 or whenever was a way to keep her and jin apart too, coz of her potential candidacy, notice that mib didnt really try and kill all the candidates till after jin and sun reunited.

DrJacobi

[11]May 27, 2010
    • level: 9

the loophole was regarding that fact that they couldnt kill each other. Mib needed someone to kill jacob, someone that he could persuade one way or another to do it and it had to be someone who would have access to jacob. Lets not forget that when jacob realised that mib was trying to kill him (i.e. sending richard to do it and richard ending up staying with jacob) he no longer roamed freely on the island, we know this because mib/locke did not know where to find him he had to ask richard to take him to him - and he knew that richard would do this because he thought it was locke who was the leader of the others.

KingofIPirates

[12]May 27, 2010
    Didn't the Losties make the mistake of burying Nikki and Paolo when they were still alive. And even coroners can get fooled by people who take special concoctions to fake their death.
    cindycee wrote:
    jacks a doctor, im sure he knows if sayid is dead or not before he performs cpr.
    Uh, Jack did perform CPR on Sayid.
    cindycee wrote:
    also he was lying there not breathing for a time so he had to be dead.
    They actually left him there after they thought he was dead, It's not like someone had their ear over his nose and was constantly checking his pulse.
    Edited on 05/27/2010 7:33pm

cindycee

[13]May 28, 2010
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    Didn't the Losties make the mistake of burying Nikki and Paolo when they were still alive. And even coroners can get fooled by people who take special concoctions to fake their death.
    cindycee wrote:
    jacks a doctor, im sure he knows if sayid is dead or not before he performs cpr.
    Uh, Jack did perform CPR on Sayid.
    cindycee wrote:
    also he was lying there not breathing for a time so he had to be dead.
    They actually left him there after they thought he was dead, It's not like someone had their ear over his nose and was constantly checking his pulse.

thats what i mean, jack is a doctor, and he did perform cpr, he would not have done that if he thought sayid was alive, unconscious people still breathe, and sayid wasnt. and the dudes at the temple said, your friend is dead prior to that. then he was layin around for 2 hours dead.

KingofIPirates

[14]May 28, 2010
    cindycee wrote:

thats what i mean, jack is a doctor, and he did perform cpr, he would not have done that if he thought sayid was alive, unconscious people still breathe, and sayid wasnt.

So everybody that has CPR performed on them and is showing no signs of breathing is actually dead. So exactly what happens when they are resuscitated? They come back to life??
    When your actually DEAD via drowning there is no way you can be resuscitated because you are dead, you can only be resuscitated if you are still alive which is the ENTIRE point of CPR.

cindycee wrote:
    and the dudes at the temple said, your friend is dead prior to that.
    Need I bring up the example again of everybody thinking Nikkia and Paolo were dead when they were in fact alive.

cindycee wrote:
    then he was layin around for 2 hours dead.
    You don't know that at the exact moment they left him he was just unconscious. And there are numerous stories of people being pronounced dead but 'coming back to life' meaning that doctor's aren't always right.
    Edited on 05/28/2010 9:40am

cindycee

[15]May 28, 2010
    once again we appear to disagree, oh well.